The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

+17
huw
TopHat24/7
Rowley
Scottrf
STC
Izzi
catchweight
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
KingMonkey
azania
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
wheelchair1991
jimdig
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
hampo17
21 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title. - Page 4 Empty Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

Post by hampo17 Sun 06 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

First topic message reminder :

By Paul Hampton

The show was called “Carpe Diem”, but questions remained whether Scott Quigg could seize the day, and finally call himself a true world champion.

Scott Quigg was up against Yoandris Solina, the Cuban amatuer star, for the WBA Super Bantamweight Title recently vacated by Guillermo Rigondeaux. Both fighters where unbeaten and it was expected that the Cuban would give Quigg his hardest test to date, his slippery style and experience from over 300 amatuer fights was bound to have some influence on this fight.

It was a cagey start to the fight, both fighters trying to establish control through the jab, and it was the Cuban that was able to gain some elements of control earlier. It became clear early that the Englishman was going to have to through combinations and push the tempo to unsettle his opponent, as the battle of the jabs was only going one way.  A body shot troubled Salinas in the second, causing him to complain to the referee that it was an illegal shot, but early on the raiding tactics used by Quigg meant the fight was at a slow pace allowing Salinas time to pick his shots and fight the way he wanted too.

Going in to the fourth Quigg started to up the pace, landing little but clearly outworking his opponent. Yet again Salinas found an answer in the sixth, keeping Quigg on the end of a sharp, accurate jab not allowing him to up the pace or get close enough to land.

As the rounds went on Quigg started to up the pace again, unsettling Salinas and forcing him to stand and trade going in to the eleventh round. Quigg was thumping home body shots at this point, but there was an anxious moment for the crowd and for Eddie Hearn at ringside as he was sent tumbling to the canvas in the final round, only for it be correctly ruled a slip by the referee.

As the bell went both fighters claimed victory, celebrating with their corners and acknowledging what had been a fantastic crowd at the O2, the scores read;   judge: Jean-Louis Legland 114-114,  judge: Leszek Jankowiak 114-114,  judge: Ruben M. Garcia 115-113.

“I feel I won the fight,” said Quigg afterwards. “I feel I won it by a round or two rounds.

“I stuck to the gameplan for five or six rounds. We knew we were going to be sharp early on and I couldn’t have gone how I did in the last five rounds like that from the start because I would have been picked off.

“We stuck to the plan. It felt like I was in control all the way through. Obviously I’m gutted that I didn’t get the win.

“I’ve just been in with a world class fighter. He had 300 odd amateur and I had 12 and I belong at world level and I think I just proved that.”
http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/10/quigg-retains-wba-title.html

Last edited by hampo171 on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title. - Page 4 Empty Re: Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 08 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

Do we need the constant bickering, unless you've got something constructive to say why bother at all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title. - Page 4 Empty Re: Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 08 Oct 2013, 11:44 am

Shows his age. If it gives him the chance to smile as if he has achieved something in life by writing "your missus" then let him have it. He's a good boy really Smile
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

Your face!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4