The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

+17
huw
TopHat24/7
Rowley
Scottrf
STC
Izzi
catchweight
ShahenshahG
mobilemaster8
KingMonkey
azania
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
wheelchair1991
jimdig
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
hampo17
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title. - Page 2 Empty Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

Post by hampo17 Sun 06 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

First topic message reminder :

By Paul Hampton

The show was called “Carpe Diem”, but questions remained whether Scott Quigg could seize the day, and finally call himself a true world champion.

Scott Quigg was up against Yoandris Solina, the Cuban amatuer star, for the WBA Super Bantamweight Title recently vacated by Guillermo Rigondeaux. Both fighters where unbeaten and it was expected that the Cuban would give Quigg his hardest test to date, his slippery style and experience from over 300 amatuer fights was bound to have some influence on this fight.

It was a cagey start to the fight, both fighters trying to establish control through the jab, and it was the Cuban that was able to gain some elements of control earlier. It became clear early that the Englishman was going to have to through combinations and push the tempo to unsettle his opponent, as the battle of the jabs was only going one way.  A body shot troubled Salinas in the second, causing him to complain to the referee that it was an illegal shot, but early on the raiding tactics used by Quigg meant the fight was at a slow pace allowing Salinas time to pick his shots and fight the way he wanted too.

Going in to the fourth Quigg started to up the pace, landing little but clearly outworking his opponent. Yet again Salinas found an answer in the sixth, keeping Quigg on the end of a sharp, accurate jab not allowing him to up the pace or get close enough to land.

As the rounds went on Quigg started to up the pace again, unsettling Salinas and forcing him to stand and trade going in to the eleventh round. Quigg was thumping home body shots at this point, but there was an anxious moment for the crowd and for Eddie Hearn at ringside as he was sent tumbling to the canvas in the final round, only for it be correctly ruled a slip by the referee.

As the bell went both fighters claimed victory, celebrating with their corners and acknowledging what had been a fantastic crowd at the O2, the scores read;   judge: Jean-Louis Legland 114-114,  judge: Leszek Jankowiak 114-114,  judge: Ruben M. Garcia 115-113.

“I feel I won the fight,” said Quigg afterwards. “I feel I won it by a round or two rounds.

“I stuck to the gameplan for five or six rounds. We knew we were going to be sharp early on and I couldn’t have gone how I did in the last five rounds like that from the start because I would have been picked off.

“We stuck to the plan. It felt like I was in control all the way through. Obviously I’m gutted that I didn’t get the win.

“I’ve just been in with a world class fighter. He had 300 odd amateur and I had 12 and I belong at world level and I think I just proved that.”
http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/10/quigg-retains-wba-title.html

Last edited by hampo171 on Sun 06 Oct 2013, 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title. - Page 2 Empty Re: Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 12:11 pm

But froch cant be considered a paper champ by the IBF....can he?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title. - Page 2 Empty Re: Scott Quigg Retains WBA Title.

Post by STC Mon 07 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm

hazharrison wrote:
STC wrote:Froch is a paper WBA champion, but a legit IBF champion. Quigg is a paper WBA champion who won his 'title' in the ring by drawing against somebody nobody had ever heard of.

Gotta love the WBA.
They're both paper champions.

The champions are Rigo and Ward.

They are merely titlists (top contenders in old money).
Semantics. Opinions.

I see your point, one champion per weight division, in which case the champions are Rigo and Ward. But there hasn't been one champion per weight division for a long, long time.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:40 pm

Froch is a paper champion in my opinion. There is a clear number 1 and champion in the division and it is not Froch. Therefore his title means something on paper but he is not the real champion.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:49 pm

I think the best way for Quigg to ensure that his status as a World Champion isn't in doubt is to win all 7 WBA world super bantamweight titles.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

So who is the best champion at LMW then catchweight? Mayweather? Cotto? Who?

Im not buying your logic there. If that's the logic then Mayweather is the only champ at Welter and at LMW instead of Cotto, Bradley etc etc.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

Or STC, he could fight Rigo. If he wins he can then claim to be thee champion.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

Why didn't I think of that.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:So who is the best champion at LMW then catchweight? Mayweather? Cotto? Who?

Im not buying your logic there. If that's the logic then Mayweather is the only champ at Welter and at LMW instead of Cotto, Bradley etc etc.
Where there is a clear champion, there is a champion. Cotto isnt a champion of any status to the best of my knowledge. Bradley is a paper champion.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Cotto doesnt even have a belt so why is his name being mentioned?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:12 pm

These ratings are about as good as you'll get (since Ring Magazine imploded):

http://www.tbrb.org/all-rankings/

The Champions as recognised by the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board:

Heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko UKR
Light Heavyweight Adonis Stevenson HAI
Super Middleweight Andre Ward USA
Middleweight Sergio Martinez ARG
Junior Middleweight Floyd Mayweather, Jr. USA
Junior Welterweight Danny Garcia USA
Junior Featherweight Guillermo Rigondeaux CUB
Flyweight Akira Yaegashi JPN

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:13 pm

'tis a good point. Who is LMW 'champ'?

It isn't Floyd. It was Canelo, but Canelo just got beat.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

STC wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
STC wrote:Froch is a paper WBA champion, but a legit IBF champion. Quigg is a paper WBA champion who won his 'title' in the ring by drawing against somebody nobody had ever heard of.

Gotta love the WBA.

Semantics. Opinions.

I see your point, one champion per weight division, in which case the champions are Rigo and Ward. But there hasn't been one champion per weight division for a long, long time.
Yeah but Quigg isn't even the most highly regarded titlist at the WBA never mind the world.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:'tis a good point.  Who is LMW 'champ'?

It isn't Floyd.  It was Canelo, but Canelo just got beat.
Floyd.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:14 pm

hazharrison wrote:These ratings are about as good as you'll get (since Ring Magazine imploded):

Don't see how Floyd can be the LMW champ. He didn't fight at 154.

Which would surely mean he is at 147 fighter, which would make him that division's champ ahead of Garcia.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

hazharrison wrote:

Floyd.
How? He hasn't won any belts at 154?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Common sense would say Mayweather at welterweight and light middleweight but there is no doubt some semantics wrangle in there.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:These ratings are about as good as you'll get (since Ring Magazine imploded):

Don't see how Floyd can be the LMW champ.  He didn't fight at 154.

Which would surely mean he is at 147 fighter, which would make him that division's champ ahead of Garcia.
You don't HAVE to weight 154 lbs. to be a light middleweight. That's just the limit. The fight took place at light middleweight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Floyd.
Cotto and Alvarez no?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:17 pm

Lower catchweights don't affect whether a fight is for the title or not. It only wouldn't be for the belt if he came in over.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

catchweight wrote:Common sense would say Mayweather at welterweight and light middleweight but there is no doubt some semantics wrangle in there.
All of those champions were crowned in fights between the number one and two ranked fighters in the division. They are -- without doubt -- the most impartial and logical set of rankings that can be found.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

hazharrison wrote:
STC wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Gotta love the WBA.

Semantics. Opinions.

Yeah but Quigg isn't even the most highly regarded titlist at the WBA never mind the world.
It's all the WBA's doing. It's embarrassing for the sport. I feel sorry for Quigg.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm

catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Floyd.
Cotto and Alvarez no?
Mayweather and Alvarez were the top two ranked light middleweights prior to their bout.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

You don't HAVE to weight 154 lbs. to be a light middleweight. That's just the limit. The fight took place at light middleweight.
It took place at a 152 catchweight. It was not a LMW contest. Of course you don't HAVE to weigh 154 for it to be a 154 fight, but you have to be ABLE to weigh that much. If Floyd wanted to be considered a true LMW titlist he shouldn't have discredited the fight with a catchweight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:Common sense would say Mayweather at welterweight and light middleweight but there is no doubt some semantics wrangle in there.
All of those champions were crowned in fights between the number one and two ranked fighters in the division. They are -- without doubt -- the most impartial and logical set of rankings that can be found.
Its completely subjective who is the number 1 and 2 in a division so they were crowned according to someones subjective list really. Theres no official rankings.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

Quigg is as much a super bantamweight world champion as Povetkin was a heavyweight world champion.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

It took place at a 152 catchweight.  It was not a LMW contest.  Of course you don't HAVE to weigh 154 for it to be a 154 fight, but you have to be ABLE to weigh that much. If Floyd wanted to be considered a true LMW titlist he shouldn't have discredited the fight with a catchweight.
Or another way of looking at it was the fight took place at Super Middleweight because thats what Alvarez actually weighed.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Floyd.
Cotto and Alvarez no?
He did win a belt v Cotto, but I get confused with all the WBA belts as to which as THE WBA belt. My point however was that the Canelo win doesn't count.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Floyd.
Cotto and Alvarez no?
He did win a belt v Cotto, but I get confused with all the WBA belts as to which as THE WBA belt.  My point however was that the Canelo win doesn't count.
Well it does because he has the title.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:22 pm

catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

It took place at a 152 catchweight.  It was not a LMW contest.  Of course you don't HAVE to weigh 154 for it to be a 154 fight, but you have to be ABLE to weigh that much. If Floyd wanted to be considered a true LMW titlist he shouldn't have discredited the fight with a catchweight.
Or another way of looking at it was the fight took place at Super Middleweight because thats what Alvarez actually weighed.
He weighed that much? Not sure what was going on at the weigh in then, pretty sure the scales tipped a lot less than that.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Light middleweight is anything over 147 lbs and under 154 lbs (66.7–69.9 kg). You could weigh 147 lbs and an ounce if you wanted to and you'd still be a light middleweight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

catchweight wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
Its completely subjective who is the number 1 and 2 in a division so they were crowned according to someones subjective list really. Theres no official rankings.
I didn't say there was. This is the best we have, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

He weighed that much? Not sure what was going on at the weigh in then, pretty sure the scales tipped a lot less than that.....
165lbs on the night according to the commentators

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:24 pm

catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Floyd.
Cotto and Alvarez no?
He did win a belt v Cotto, but I get confused with all the WBA belts as to which as THE WBA belt.  My point however was that the Canelo win doesn't count.
Well it does because he has the title.
In your eyes maybe. Personally I don't see how someone can be crowned champion at a weight they did not fight at.

To extrapolate your argument a little, was Ward the LHW champ when he beat Dawson? Dawson was undisputed LHW champ, they fought at a lower weight than 175 but apparently that doesn't matter so that made Ward champ at SMW and LHW, right??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:25 pm

catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

So not at the weigh in then? Which is when the weight for the fight is set?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:26 pm

152 lbs Alvarez then 165lbs on the night i believe.

Never the less, Pacquiao fough Margarito at a catchweight of 151lbs for a LMW title, he did it with Cotto at 145lbs for the WW title.

he was still given the regonisition of an 8 weight world champion.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:26 pm

catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

At the official weigh in he was a light middleweight. This thread is a beauty. A beauty.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:28 pm

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
At the end of the day its mainly subjective and open to interpretation. I think its a fairly safe bet Mayweather is the best light middleweight and welterweight so I consider him the champion in those divisions.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:28 pm

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

At the official weigh in he was a light middleweight. This thread is a beauty. A beauty.
The weight on the night is more relevant in my opinion.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:28 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Light middleweight is anything over 147 lbs and under (OR AT) 154 lbs (66.7–69.9 kg). You could weigh 147 lbs and an ounce if you wanted to and you'd still be a light middleweight.
Which is why it wasn't an official LMW fight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:152 lbs Alvarez then 165lbs on the night i believe.

Never the less, Pacquiao fough Margarito at a catchweight of 151lbs for a LMW title, he did it with Cotto at 145lbs for the WW title.

he was still given the regonisition of an 8 weight world champion.
He may well have picked up paper titles, but I would never have regarded him as divisional champ. Which is the argument being had in this thread.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

catchweight wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
At the end of the day its mainly subjective and open to interpretation. I think its a fairly safe bet Mayweather is the best light middleweight and welterweight so I consider him the champion in those divisions.
Good for you.

This list is put together by experts and historians trying to keep things logical. Think they've had some love from Teddy Atlas on ESPN but it's still early days.

Good luck to anyone who tries to follow the alphabet stuff. I gave up ages ago. This list does me fine (Ward beat Froch = champion etc.).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Light middleweight is anything over 147 lbs and under (OR AT) 154 lbs (66.7–69.9 kg). You could weigh 147 lbs and an ounce if you wanted to and you'd still be a light middleweight.
Which is why it wasn't an official LMW fight.[/quote]The title would have still been on the line if Alvarez weighed 154. Other agreements don't affect that.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

Do feel for Scott. Does seem a little odd that the sport is pretty much screwed in so many ways, the belt nonsense being just one among a litany of things we could get wound up about, such as number one contenders who have done nothing to deserve it, promoters who have governing bodies in their pockets, judges who do not have the first clue what they are doing, hometown decisions left right and centre but it is this issue we choose to get all wound up about.

Has Quigg really done anything worse than we see every other day in the sport. He got an opportunity to get a belt and took it. Through doing so he will increase his marketability, purses and should he rack up a couple of three defences his chances of being considered a viable option for Rigo will surely be increased which is in theory what we all appear to want to see happen. In an ideal world there would only be one belt and a shot would be earned by becoming number one contender but let’s not delude ourselves over this issue, those days are long since passed.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

What would've happened if Alvarez had weighed in at the official LMW limit of 154 then??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

catchweight wrote:The weight on the night is more relevant in my opinion.
Go and make your own governing body then.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Light middleweight is anything over 147 lbs and under (OR AT) 154 lbs (66.7–69.9 kg). You could weigh 147 lbs and an ounce if you wanted to and you'd still be a light middleweight.
Officially it was, as it took place between 147-154 lbs.

I'm going to frame this thread. If it's this difficult on a specialist boxing board then Joe Blow has no chance.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
catchweight wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

What would've happened if Alvarez had weighed in at the official LMW limit of 154 then??
He'd have owed Mayweather $300k. It would still have been a light middleweight fight, though.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:33 pm

Scottrf wrote:
catchweight wrote:The weight on the night is more relevant in my opinion.
Go and make your own governing body then.
ok

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:34 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Officially it was, as it took place between 147-154 lbs.

I'm going to frame this thread. If it's this difficult on a specialist boxing board then Joe Blow has no chance.
It didn't take place between 147 and 154 though, did it? It took place between 147 and 152. Basically your argument makes all weight classes redundant.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:36 pm

@Haz

Can you answer my question re Ward and Dawson? When Ward beat him did he become LHW champ as well as SMW, since he beat the undisputed divisional LHW champ at the time?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next