The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pacquiao Rios

+16
6oldenbhoy
kingraf
Lumbering_Jack
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
Seanusarrilius
bellchees
TopHat24/7
Rodney
hazharrison
Valero's Conscience
Gerry SA
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pacquiao Rios - Page 2 Empty Pacquiao Rios

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 19 Nov 2013, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

No chat ahead of this weekend's fight? I've been trying to get my head around the scheduling and it looks as though the fight will happen early afternoon in Macau on Saturday. The show appears to start at 1:30am on Boxnation on SATURDAY morning, not Sunday morning. If that is the case then it's dissapointing that they're trying to satisfy US PPV audiences.

Anyway, how do we see this one going? It'll be interesting to see if Manny's brutal KO at the hands of Marquez will have any lasting impact. To be honest, Rios is the perfect comeback fight for Manny but I don't see it telling us a lot about Manny's longer term prospects (at this late stage of his career). Rios has no experience at welterweight and no experience on a stage of this size, against a fighter of Manny's calibre. He's almost tailor made to make Manny look good and rebuild his confidence. Watching the 24/7 show Rios looks a bit bewildered by the carnival going on around him. He's a bit of character but I don't see him having the power to remotely bother Manny regardless of the Marquez KO and I see Manny blasting him out within 6 rounds.

Back to top Go down

Pacquiao Rios - Page 2 Empty Re: Pacquiao Rios

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:37 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:But do you think Rios is any more danger to Pac than Guerrero was to Floyd?
Of course he wasn't. He's probably less risk because of the way he fights.

Guerrero will rightly rank higher but he is definitely a lower risk fight.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:40 am

Bernard Hopkins thought Pacquaio was brave to take this fight. He knows more than most, so I think it's a decent fight. Manny should disassemble Rios quite quickly, though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

Roach and Ariza clash

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/11/19/5124656/pacquiao-vs-rios-video-of-the-roach-vs-ariza-and-garcia-scuffle

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:49 am

Haha, read about this earlier. Team Rios not leaving the shared training facilities on time.

Bad blood between Ariza and Roach still then......adds some spice!

Nice to see full VADA testing though, Manny got woken at 5am the other day for a random test.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:50 am

Woken up at 5 a.m? Thought he'd be praying already by then...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

Anyone know who that chubby Mexican Tinkywinky is that's kicking off in the first few minutes??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:52 am

kingraf wrote:Woken up at 5 a.m? Thought he'd be praying already by then...
Erm?? He's not Muslim, is he??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

No... but he is a Pentecostal Christian, or something now. A devout one too. My girlfriends family are devoted Pentecostals.... Been woken up at Godly hours by the sound of fervent prayers enough to know how they get down..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:03 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
kingraf wrote:Woken up at 5 a.m? Thought he'd be praying already by then...
Erm?? He's not Muslim, is he??
Nah, he was Catholic but recently converted to some Evangelical religion. His mum blames the lose to Marquez on the switch.

See the video earlier, really want Pacquiao to do a job on Rios now. Really don't like him or Ariza.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:21 am

Why do the two of them hate each other?

Roach is an ex pro isn't he? Even with his illness it would be nice to see him give Ariza a smack around the chops...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:24 am

Roach was a journeyman, yeh, basically his skill was absorbing punches to the head.

Might be regretting that now....

Remember them having a big falling out a couple of years back, though I can't remember exactly over what.

Two big egos in one small room probably.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 20 Nov 2013, 10:53 am

Looks like major roid rage from Ariza...

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Wed 20 Nov 2013, 11:48 am

rios is the most over rated boxer in the world just now the fight will be entertaining but he will be splattered around the ring with either i vicious ko or ref/corner stopping it as he cant see! guerrero would be rios imo! and defiantly deserved the fight against floyd as he was his mandatory defence although like rios he had no chance in winning

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

I don't know If the video posted above shows Ariza front kicking Freddie in the check as he went at Ariza.  There is a video from an angle that shows it.

After Robert Garcia, Rios's coach, refused to leave the shared gym at the allocated time Roach called him a "Mexican MF".  The perceived racial slur served to further kick things off before Roach got kicked in the chest by Ariza.

Ariza and Garcia's team then mocked Roach by spitting and saying ' stut stut stut c'mon Freddie get it out' referring to Roach's difficulties with speech due to his Parkinson's.

A good display all around and should sell a lot of PPV.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 20 Nov 2013, 12:28 pm

Here' the video showing Ariza kicking Roach.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbePld6SgU

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:11 pm

I don't mind Roach but he lacks class.......Just as he did when Greg Haugen schooled him at lightweight some years ago.......Roach was an awful boxer.......

Like Eddie Futch on Lewis and Ali.. he seems to feel the need to denigrade the opposition... when you know If  Manny left he'd start denigrading him.......

Leave the insults for the boxers........and try finding a defence for Manny..something you couldn't do for Khan...

Looking at the video I see roach is still having trouble avoiding telegraphed shots..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I don't mind Roach but he lacks class.......Just as he did when Greg Haugen schooled him at lightweight some years ago.......Roach was an awful boxer.......

Like Eddie Futch on Lewis and Ali.. he seems to feel the need to denigrade the opposition... when you know If  Manny left he'd start denigrading him.......

Leave the insults for the boxers........and try finding a defence for Manny..something you couldn't do for Khan...

Too predictable.

How's Floyd these days has he been arrested recently?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:18 pm

Floyd hasn't got any class..........Never said he had..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:44 pm

I HATE Alex Ariza.

Mocking someone suffering from Parkinsons -- how low is that?

They had a huge fall-out -- Ariza was apparently getting too big for his boots (little wonder, both Pacquiao and Khan were at their best under him). Funny that....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:49 pm

I don't hate anybody...........Well perhaps the father-in-law on occasions.....

You don't know really all that went on Haz..........Obviously having a pop at someone because of their disability is truly awful......Can't condone that..

But Mate you do see everything in black and white...

When it comes to feuds there is usually plenty of GREY........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 20 Nov 2013, 2:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I don't hate anybody...........Well perhaps the father-in-law on occasions.....

You don't know really all that went on Haz..........Obviously having a pop at someone because of their disability is truly awful......Can't condone that..

But Mate you do see everything in black and white...

When it comes to feuds there is usually plenty of GREY........
I hate that guy. Apparently he chased Gabriel Montoya (writer for Max Boxing) around a parking lot at the wild card after Montoya mentioned him in an article (or multiple articles) on PEDS. Montoya's 8 stone wet through.

I don't need to know what went on between Ariza and Roach to dislike him. Just hearing him speak is like nails on a black board.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

I believe in Karma, Haz..........I believe that people who are naughty will get their come uppance....

I did!!Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I believe in Karma, Haz..........I believe that people who are naughty will get their come uppance....

I did!!Cool 
I also dislike him for other reasons that I can't offer proof of and so won't write on here. Him, Conte and Heredia get on my tripe. "Conditioners" are the worst thing to happen to boxing since the alphabets and those shorts that look like skirts.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

But you like Manny.......Who I don't particularly like for reasons I can't offer proof on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But you like Manny.......Who I don't particularly like for reasons I can't offer proof on..
I'm not a fan of Pacquiao at all. I think his whole career has a cloud over it but, as there's no proof (yet), we have to go with what we have.

I hope Rios puts him to sleep but can't see it. Pacquiao looks good against guys who come forward.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

Fair enough..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 20 Nov 2013, 4:00 pm

Surely we'd have to level the same suspicions over Floyd too, in light of the recent case with Manny...

Both have big question marks over them...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:37 pm

I don't like B-Pop for reasons I can't offer proof on.... I don't like Floyd for reasons which are available by simply looking up his criminal record... self-righteous, pompous windbag!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:46 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But you like Manny.......Who I don't particularly like for reasons I can't offer proof on..
I'm not a fan of Pacquiao at all. I think his whole career has a cloud over it but, as there's no proof (yet), we have to go with what we have.

I hope Rios puts him to sleep but can't see it. Pacquiao looks good against guys who come forward.
A certain Floyd Mayweather Jr also looks good against guys who come forward. I like Floyd, obviously for different reasons to Manny. But it's interesting how we marvel at Floyd's performances vs. come forward fighters, yet view Manny negatively when he faces the same kind of opposition.. There's a particular double standard there that needs pointing out.

I also think people need to look at the bigger picture, assuming Pacquiao doesn't get wiped out by Rios (which is not impossible given the brutal nature of the Marquez KO and the amount of people jumping for joy, telling us that Pac was finished), he's obviously trying to set up one last, super-fight, hopefully against Floyd.
First things first, he has to get past Rios, and we really have no idea until we see him in there  for 2 or 3 rounds if he is the same Pacquiao, pre- Marquez 4. Plenty of great fighters have been KO'd badly and come back against easier opponents than Rios.  Anthony Hanshaw, Prince Badi Ajimu anyone??!

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm

Maybe the double standard is being left face down by Jmm and losing to Bradley.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 21 Nov 2013, 8:30 pm

Roach was a Frak savage as a pro. I'd back him to wipe the floor with Ariza. I don't know if anyone saw any episodes of "On Freddie Roach" (that's what I think it was called anyway), but there was a bit centered on a news story from when he was younger, and bit a man's eye out. Bit his eye out.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe the double standard is being left face down by Jmm and  losing to Bradley.....
But as cliched as it is, styles make fights. Pacquiao did better vs Cotto than Floyd did. As for Bradley, that's not a good example. Even though Pacquiao fought a little too conservatively and let Bradley off the hook in the 4th and 5th rounds, he didn't deserve to lose his title that night.

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Nov 2013, 9:52 pm

keep forgetting the Bradley fight was for a title...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 9:21 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe the double standard is being left face down by Jmm and  losing to Bradley.....
'losing to Bradley' Rolling Eyes He won that fight a lot more than Floyd did Castillo I. Sometimes you have the judges, sometimes you don't....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 9:59 am

Losing to Bradley or I could have said losing to JMM three times If you want it your way ......Pick one of the above !!

Either way It ain't good...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:06 am

More validity in the JMM examples, that's for sure!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:11 am

You are right of course........But you know Holmes lost the 2nd fight to Spinks and most people had him three up.......

He still lost........At the end of the day these things go on your record...

My Wife thinks she is 1235 - 0 (1235) In winning arguments which is baloney......

But on her boxrec I'm a useless old trialhorse........Life ain't fair..Bradley won..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

Lol

You're right, life ain't fair, sometimes you get the luck sometimes you don't. Pac got it twice v JMM but was on the wrong end v Bradley. Floyd got lucky with Castillo I but, whilst it didn't make an actual difference, he almost got unstuck with dodgy scoring v Alvarez (can't remember giving Canelo more than 2 rounds).

That's why, when ranking/assessing fighters, I try to take my own view on fights I've watched rather than just looking at Boxrec and counting wins vs losses.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:27 am

pacman bradley is not the biggest robbery ever although he clearly won imo! rios abril is the biggest robbing ive seen live! floyd castillo was close could go either way! worst score card ever is mayweather canelo

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:30 am

You are too young to remember Ramirez-Whittaker my friend.......

Everybody I know gave Pernell all 12 rounds.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:30 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Losing to Bradley or I could have said losing to JMM three times If you want it your way ......Pick one of the above !!

Either way It ain't good...
I thought he lost all 4.

But Manny most certainly did bit Bradley.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:32 am

i will have a look at that, but still as a live showing abril was robbed blind! ive not like rios since and he will be slaughtered against manny

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:38 am

Read about it don't watch it !!!!

biggest robbery of all time..........After the one in Dog Day afternoon..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 24 Nov 2013, 8:10 pm

Bit of an anticlimax in reality with Rios doing his best impression of a punch bag for 12 rounds. Manny looked fast and strong but Rios was so poor it really tells us nothing about Manny. Rios did well to go the distance but that's the only compliment I can muster

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:37 pm

No surprises except Rios survived 12 rounds, the man took a lot of clean shots but stuck in and managed to survive

Pacquiao obviously looked good as Rios was that bad he couldn't have looked bad, so it's hard to see how much he has left

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Nov 2013, 2:56 pm

I actually think Manny lacked that extra bit of spice in his shots. His shots just looked a bit pitter patter. Like Khans.

HBO still creaming themselves over Mannys power.

Was a glorified sparring session. Boring fight, expected result.

Circle, throw 4/5 punches, move.....and repeat.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 Nov 2013, 3:22 pm

Yeah... a bit like Guerrero-Mayweather. except with Rios being left a bloody mess. You don't patter someones face into that condition.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

Calzaghe vs Lacy??

Paulie Malagnaggi vs Shevchenko??

Pitter patter punches can certainly do lots of damage.

They say power is the last thing to go, but with Manny it looks like its the first.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 25 Nov 2013, 3:46 pm

Well obviously we have differing views of power, then?

Pacquaio hasn't had a proper KO since Hatton, and that was at 140lbs. It's only those who keep insinuating that Pacquiao "miraculously" brought his power to 147 that don't realise he hasn't had one punch KO power for quite a while. Since, believe it or not, he moved up in weight.

Also, when you get KO'ed the way he was against Marquez, it wouldn't be a ringing endorsement of the state of his faculties if he jumped in for KO the very next fight.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:36 pm

Thats what I mean mate. From now on any bets I do on Manny to win a fight will be points based.

I reckon that KO has taken something from him. Watch the fight I couldn't help but think he could really hit harder than that. And who else to hit hard than a lumbering oaf in Rios. He really could have looked better as Rios was the perfect opponent to really bang about.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next