The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam

+26
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
yappysnap
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
fa0019
whocares
SecretFly
gregortree
munkian
Scrumpy
quinsforever
beshocked
Barney McGrew did it
GunsGerms
BamBam
rodders
Cyril
ChequeredJersey
Nachos Jones
Geordie
No 7&1/2
majesticimperialman
sad_gimp
Biltong
Scratch
GloriousEmpire
30 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam - Page 3 Empty Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 17 Jan 2014, 12:22 am

First topic message reminder :

As far as confidence goes, Nick Easter has it.

There will be no Lions hang over for England he predicts, who will defy history by taking the six nations. France are in turmoil and in decline so he says today.

Bold prediction, writing off the French. Is he speaking the truth? Or smarting from England's 2011 exit at the hands of the same foes?

http://nzh.tw/11187689

"That is not going to happen, the state [French] rugby is in. With the players they have got...what was it last year, two wins?"

He goes on to predict not just an England win but an England grand slam.

"That game at Twickenham is potentially the decider. I think it's England's time - it's been a long time since they won a slam,"

He clearly believes that only France are capable of stopping England however unlikely - interesting stuff.

Last edited by GloriousEmpire on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 12:31 am; edited 4 times in total

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam - Page 3 Empty Re: Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

Well they totally fell apart for one reason or another. Maybe they just choked?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam - Page 3 Empty Re: Nick Easter : France won't stop England Grand Slam

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

I wonder how many welsh pundits/ex. players see a Welsh victory, how many Irish pundits/ex. players see an Irish victory, how many French pundits/ex. players see a  French victory etc?

Nothing wrong with what he said. He backs his countrymen. Would you expect anything less?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:32 pm

If you thought that England were favourites at that point and if they'd played to their best Nez Zealand couldn't have done anything fair enough but I think it was always going to be tough with the backs we had out there on the day. You still need to change the bit about France in your original post.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:If you thought that England were favourites at that point and if they'd played to their best Nez Zealand couldn't have done anything fair enough but I think it was always going to be tough with the backs we had out there on the day. You still need to change the bit about France in your original post.

Perhaps it was a lack of leadership after Hartley went off?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

Think it was just the set piece.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

fa0019 wrote:I wonder how many welsh pundits/ex. players see a Welsh victory, how many Irish pundits/ex. players see an Irish victory, how many French pundits/ex. players see a  French victory etc?

Nothing wrong with what he said. He backs his countrymen. Would you expect anything less?

I dont think anyone is saying there is really. I read the article and I agreed with most of it. As it was last year I reckon this years championship will be one of the tightest ever. There are 4 teams capable of winning the championship. Cant see anyone doing a slam.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:42 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:If you thought that England were favourites at that point and if they'd played to their best Nez Zealand couldn't have done anything fair enough but I think it was always going to be tough with the backs we had out there on the day. You still need to change the bit about France in your original post.

Perhaps it was a lack of leadership after Hartley went off?

A bit of everything but in some part I agree.

Hartley has developed into a senior player both in performances and standing for England. He's a very good player.

Also showed the worth of a good hooker and the consequences of one who isn't/was off form on the given day/week/month/year/career (depending on people's views on Youngs). I'm probably closer to the latter then the former myself.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:Most of the 6N sides are a bit over-rated.

France are always seen as the side that SHOULD win it – but have recently been beaten by everyone and regularly struggle against England (even when we’re pants).

almost right : France has the best record against Ireland in the NH : 6 unbeaten games in a row since 2010  Cool

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:44 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
fa0019 wrote:I wonder how many welsh pundits/ex. players see a Welsh victory, how many Irish pundits/ex. players see an Irish victory, how many French pundits/ex. players see a  French victory etc?

I dont think anyone is saying there is really. I read the article and I agreed with most of it. As it was last year I reckon this years championship will be one of the tightest ever. There are 4 teams capable of winning the championship. Cant see anyone doing a slam.

GG - wasn't suggesting anyone had said such. I didn't see any comments like thus... but the way the original OP was set out did suggest it was a potentially surprising comment. Was just my take on things anyhow.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:47 pm

whocares wrote:

France are always seen as the side that SHOULD win it – but have recently been beaten by everyone and regularly struggle against England (even when we’re pants).

almost right : France has the best record against Ireland in the NH : 6 unbeaten games in a row since 2010  Cool

Two draws in the last two macthes though. Are Ireland cathing up?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:53 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
whocares wrote:

my comment was tongue in cheek. I know that France got lucky in both games. hopefully Ireland wont wait 17 years for a win this time!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:54 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
whocares wrote:

I think it will be difficult for Ireland to win in Paris. I can see France collapsing again if England beat them in game one and Wales putting them to the sword in Cardiff. But last game for France when they have disappointing season makes me think they would hit form.

Tough for Ireland I think to win the 6N... away to England and France.

I think England's draw is actually the best. Home to Ireland and Wales (the bogey sides of late for them). The French game up first away, a good time to play them and they don't have issues with playing France.

GS is tough for anyone, no standout but I think England's draw suits them more then others.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:55 pm

Haha. You are French no? I have no clue how Ireland will do v France this year. though given it is in France I presume it will be a loss.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:57 pm

fa0019 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
whocares wrote:

I think it will be difficult for Ireland to win in Paris. I can see France collapsing again if England beat them in game one and Wales putting them to the sword in Cardiff. But last game for France when they have disappointing season makes me think they would hit form.

Tough for Ireland I think to win the 6N... away to England and France.

I think England's draw is actually the best. Home to Ireland and Wales (the bogey sides of late for them). The French game up first away, a good time to play them and they don't have issues with playing France.

GS is tough for anyone, no standout but I think England's draw suits them more then others.

Agree with that. For some reason though I just think that Ireland might just put in a big performance in HQ this year.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 Jan 2014, 1:59 pm

GG - I assume you mean away to England right?

Possible. If they can take NZ all the way at home they can beat England in Twickenham no problem.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:03 pm

fa0019 wrote:GG - I assume you mean away to England right?

Possible. If they can take NZ all the way at home they can beat England in Twickenham no problem.

Well hopefully we'll provide a problem. I really hope the players genuinely buy into the whole "there are no easy games" attitude because that is the only way to get a GS. One game off the throttle and every team has the ability to party poop and they'll all be looking to stop any Slam. First, let's beat France
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:29 pm

Yeah the English call Twickers HQ. I am travelling to the game.

Ireland like to raise their game v England. Also Paul O'Connell was missing for the last two losses v England in the 6N. He will make a big difference captaining the side this time round I feel.

I do think that if ireland had 0 injuries and could field this team we would beat England more often than not:

Kearney
Bowe
BOD
Darce
Zebo
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
SOB
Ferris
POC
Toner/Mccarthy/etc.
Ross
Best
Healy

These days the 6 nations is decided by the strength of your squad players rather than your first team though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:42 pm

Zebo and BoD on present form wouldn't really make it into my top team.

But Healy would. I also wonder about PoC.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Zebo and BoD on present form wouldn't really make it into my top team.

But Healy would. I also wonder about PoC.

Well Zebo has been injured but he was one of the standout players of our last campaign. BOD love him or hate him is still marginally our best 13. Hendshaw or Cave could probably slot in there too and I accept that 13 is our weak position now. England arent that great in the centre either though.

POC's form for Munster at the moment is absolutely exceptional. He was also the driving force behind Irelands last big win v England in the 2011 championship.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:49 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Yeah the English call Twickers HQ. I am travelling to the game.

Ireland like to raise their game v England. Also Paul O'Connell was missing for the last two losses v England in the 6N. He will make a big difference captaining the side this time round I feel.

I do think that if ireland had 0 injuries and could field this team we would beat England more often than not:

Kearney
Bowe
BOD
Darce
Zebo
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
SOB
Ferris
POC
Toner/Mccarthy/etc.
Ross
Best
Healy

These days the 6 nations is decided by the strength of your squad players rather than your first team though.

It's a good team. I disagree though, I think they'd lose more than they won still
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:52 pm

Of course you do. What is your England fantasy team. Are there any long term absentees, ala Ferris that you would include?

Tuilagi I assume.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

With players who have had injuries, are we assuming their form is good? Like Ferris, for example? If there were then I'd consider players like Tait certainly

15- Brown
14- Wade
13- Tuilagi
12- the big problem, really. I honestly think Allen can still feel hard done by here
11- Yarde
10- Farrell
9- Care/Youngs
8- Vunipola/Easter
7- Robshaw
6- Wood
5- Lawes
4- Launchbury
3- Cole
2- Hartley
1- Corbs

And that pack is the one we should see this year, except Corbs!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:01 pm

Corbisiero, Tuilagi, potentially Yarde would be my 3

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm

Or basically what CJ said

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:09 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:With players who have had injuries, are we assuming their form is good? Like Ferris, for example? If there were then I'd consider players like Tait certainly

15- Brown
14- Wade
13- Tuilagi
12- the big problem, really. I honestly think Allen can still feel hard done by here
11- Yarde
10- Farrell
9- Care/Youngs
8- Vunipola/Easter
7- Robshaw
6- Wood
5- Lawes
4- Launchbury
3- Cole
2- Hartley
1- Corbs

Ferris consistently makes a massive difference everytime he plays for Ireland. Probably our best ever 6. Thats why I add him to the dream team. Who knows what his form will be like if he does ever make it back though.

I know Marland yarde and Christian Wade are both exciting talents but they have two caps between them.

The England pack is unquestionably their strength. Where Ireland are concerned I would be most wary of Launchberry in the lineout and Cole, Robshaw and Wood at the breakdown. Therefore it is good to have POC back for the lineout and Best and Healy for the breakdown.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:36 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:With players who have had injuries, are we assuming their form is good? Like Ferris, for example? If there were then I'd consider players like Tait certainly

15- Brown
14- Wade
13- Tuilagi
11- Yarde
10- Farrell
9- Care/Youngs
8- Vunipola/Easter
7- Robshaw
6- Wood
5- Lawes
4- Launchbury
3- Cole
2- Hartley
1- Corbs

I think it's this area where England have clear edge, not necessarily in terms of the starting players but the depth and the ability to bring reinforcements off the bench like Vainapolo, Parling, Marler, Croft etc. it's a big, powerful unit and when you have a place kicker with Farrell's accuracy then that makes a side very difficult to beat, especially at home.

Ireland did used to dominate the breakdown but with guys like Robshaw, Wood, Lawes etc. England were pretty dominant last time out.

Ireland minus O'Brien and Ferris lack for carriers a bit too, and leaves us very reliant on Healy and Heaslip to get go-forward from the back.

It's difficult for me to see where Ireland have the advantage, bar putting the high ball up and using Kearney and Bowe to challenge in the air against the England back 3.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:40 pm

Brown and May, both likely to start, are pretty good at defending the high ball. In fact, Brown vs Kearney high-ball-off would be a very interesting battle
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:46 pm

talking of the devil...is Nick easter still a realistic optionfor England at 8 specially keeping in mind the RWC?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Well, yes in that he is playing very well and only seems to be getting better with age, no in that Lancaster has good young options and won't pick him unless there is a crisis. And based on last year, even if there is a crisis
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 17 Jan 2014, 4:53 pm

[quote="rodders"][quote="ChequeredJersey"]With players who have had injuries, are we assuming their form is good? Like Ferris, for example? If there were then I'd consider players like Tait certainly

15- Brown
14- Wade
13- Tuilagi
11- Yarde
10- Farrell
9- Care/Youngs
8- Vunipola/Easter
7- Robshaw
6- Wood
5- Lawes
4- Launchbury
3- Cole
2- Hartley
1- Corbs

If that pack takes the field against Wales then it should be a ding dong battle as well, though for me Parling can feel hard done by I thought he had great Lions tour admittedly not know what his current form is like but we could potentially see:

Corbs v Jones
Hartley v Hibbard
Cole v Jenkins - James if I had my way
AWJ v Launchbury
then cousins battering each other at 8
Robshaw v Warburton/Tipuric
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 4:57 pm

Parling is injured
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:00 pm

CJ,

Cheers, is it long term etc that said Lawes seems to be on fire again and is a beast.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:02 pm

Think he may be back by the very end of 6N, whether he can fight off Launch, Lawes and Attwood is another matter!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Think he may be back by the very end of 6N, whether he can fight off Launch, Lawes and Attwood is another matter!

That seems to be the case with Davies for us but I always wonder if you have gone 4 games without someone is it worth risking him in final game especially if replacemnets stepped up.

Out of interest if he was fit and on form where would you and others see him figuring in the pecking order?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 17 Jan 2014, 5:16 pm

Personally - Launchbury and Lawes are my starting pair, Attwood/Slater/Parling all fairly level, but Parling has that extra bit of lineout/international experience.

I hope to see the current 2 cement their places over the 6N though

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 17 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm

Well well, what started as an incredibly poor wum turned into a good discussion. But I do believe had you replaced Nick Easter's name with 'any Welsh player' then this would have turned into a cesspit of Wales-slagging, we see it before every match Wales play.

Having read the article I've concluded that Nick Easter is spot on with his all of his comments. England will beat France in their opening game, I just don't see what France are doing differently or what they will be doing differently that's going to help them avoid another 5th or 6th place finish. With Schmidt's Ireland still an unknown, Scotland and Italy still in the basement, the tournament title will go to either Wales of England for me.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 17 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm

The Saint wrote:Well well, what started as an incredibly poor wum turned into a good discussion. But I do believe had you replaced Nick Easter's name with 'any Welsh player' then this would have turned into a cesspit of Wales-slagging, we see it before every match Wales play.

Having read the article I've concluded that Nick Easter is spot on with his all of his comments. England will beat France in their opening game, I just don't see what France are doing differently or what they will be doing differently that's going to help them avoid another 5th or 6th place finish. With Schmidt's Ireland still an unknown, Scotland and Italy still in the basement, the tournament title will go to either Wales of England for me.

Wow...well I didn't start a WUM but you seem intent on starting a Wales flame war! Not for my liking. I'm sure the honor of any Welshman would've been protected in just the same way.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 17 Jan 2014, 8:29 pm

Saint is incapable of posting without some reference to what appears to be a giant sized inferiority complex about Wales.

The slaggign Wales get for gobbing off is often of their own making, and is certainly no worse than the slating of England for their arrogant delusions and France for being a laughing stock and generally rubbish or superb, Ireland for their previous urine poor management or about BOD and Italy for believing the championship is about the spoon…seems like the Scots are the only team that evades the pre 6 Nations

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:06 pm

Scratch it does make me laugh how you act like 'the don' of this board. Just goes to show you're full of sh*t in real life to be honest Laugh. Don't really care much for yours or ghostie's comments either.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 17 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
The Saint wrote:Well well, what started as an incredibly poor wum turned into a good discussion. But I do believe had you replaced Nick Easter's name with 'any Welsh player' then this would have turned into a cesspit of Wales-slagging, we see it before every match Wales play.

Wow...well I didn't start a WUM but you seem intent on starting a Wales flame war! Not for my liking. I'm sure the honor of any Welshman would've been protected in just the same way.

I replied to this thread, I agreed with Easter in case you can't read? You must have trouble reading as you've seemingly bought into another headline. It's because of stupidity like this that media companies are still in business.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 17 Jan 2014, 11:40 pm

The Saint wrote:Scratch it does make me laugh how you act like 'the don' of this board. Just goes to show you're full of sh*t in real life to be honest Laugh. Don't really care much for yours or ghostie's comments either.

Does it? How so? If you are suggesting you can glean what i am like in real life from my posting on an internet forum then you are cleverer than your posts suggest. I think that is probably not the case though, but if so then i can tell from your constant whining and bleating about how hard it is to be a welsh fan and how much everyone has a go at us that you are inferior and undeserving of being a Taff. poor lad.

I am the contrary, loud and proud Welshman. Call me Don Taff, I like that. No wonder you call yourself Saint, you'd have to be to live with that galactic chip on your shoulder

But then, the Saint always was the poor man's James Bond.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:10 am

I'm the real James Bond.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 18 Jan 2014, 2:19 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:I'm the real James Bond.

No, I am and so is my wife

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 18 Jan 2014, 3:01 am

I thought you were Spartacus?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 18 Jan 2014, 7:18 am

I thought you were the Ghost ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:45 am

Scratch wrote:
The Saint wrote:Scratch it does make me laugh how you act like 'the don' of this board. Just goes to show you're full of sh*t in real life to be honest Laugh. Don't really care much for yours or ghostie's comments either.

Does it? How so? If you are suggesting you can glean what i am like in real life from my posting on an internet forum then you are cleverer than your posts suggest. I think that is probably not the case though, but if so then i can tell from your constant whining and bleating about how hard it is to be a welsh fan and how much everyone has a go at us that you are inferior and undeserving of being a Taff. poor lad.

I am the contrary, loud and proud Welshman. Call me Don Taff, I like that. No wonder you call yourself Saint, you'd have to be to live with that galactic chip on your shoulder

But then, the Saint always was the poor man's James Bond.

Zzzzz here we go the chip on shoulders retort zzzzzz  Broken Record  Broken Record  Broken Record  Like I said I don't care much for your comments and never have. They just make me chuckle that's all, with you trying to come across as something you're not. I don't really have much else to say on that matter! Very Happy

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

Saint, any concerns from the injuries in yesterday's HC? If you lost Hibbard is that seen as a big loss for Wales at the moment? I'm not up on your hoooker pecking order. Also looked that Adam jones crocked a calf near the end, and he doesn't seem to be dominating the way he used to. Is this a loss of form? Engagement changes not suiting him it just a product of the O's scrum? He looked handy throwing to the lineout though...Wink

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 18 Jan 2014, 12:02 pm

There's another thread where we are discussing those points GE. Easter was right btw. OK 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:26 pm

I think a lot of people need to realise that the press do not speak for the average England fan.

I'm sure it's much the same in other countries.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 18 Jan 2014, 1:29 pm

yappysnap wrote:I think a lot of people need to realise that the press do not speak for the average England fan.

I'm sure it's much the same in other countries.

I realise that. Also, what a lot of people don't realise is that the press do not speak for the average Wales fan.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next