The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

billy vunipola

+21
bluestonevedder
Metal Tiger
fa0019
yappysnap
DaveM
thomh
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
lostinwales
SecretFly
Hood83
GLove39
Jhamer25
quinsforever
Gretgael1
Cyril
majesticimperialman
HammerofThunor
flankertye
Artful_Dodger
bedfordwelsh
adambarney
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

billy vunipola  Empty billy vunipola

Post by adambarney Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:19 pm

How good is this guy best 8 in
nations

adambarney

Back to top Go down

billy vunipola  Empty Re: billy vunipola

Post by adambarney Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:19 pm

6 nations

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm

I think Heaslip, Faletau and Parrisse would have something to say about that but he' pretty good will give you that.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:23 pm

Hes a great player but all 6 nations have great players at 8. Parisse, Picamoles, Heaslip and Vunipola have all looked very good thus far. Denton has probably been Scotland best player so far, not that that would be too difficult. Faletau has disappointed me a bit.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:32 pm

Toby has been okay, without setting the world on fire. I am so looking forward to England vs Ireland.
Tom wood and POM to have a serious head to head.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:36 pm

The worrying thing is is that Toby has most probably been our best player, he never has a bad game mr consistent for me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:37 pm

Billy is playing well. Don't like to build players up. And 'best' is so subjective it's meaningless.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:39 pm

He certainly a good player, is he the best in the 6ns? I would say it is close between Heaslip-, Faloutow, Vunipola, and Perrese.

They are all good players. and it is hard to pick a best player out of any of them. to be honest.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:41 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:He certainly a good player, is he the best in the 6ns? I would say it is close between Heaslip-, Faloutow, Vunipola, and Perrese.

They are all good players. and it is hard to pick a best player out of any of them. to be honest.

Funny you say that cause I actually think an on form Picamoles is better than any of them. An on form Picamoles is on a par with Kieran Read as the best in the world. But as Hammer said, its all very subjective.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:42 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:He certainly a good player, is he the best in the 6ns? I would say it is close between Heaslip-, Faloutow, Vunipola, and Perrese.

Funny you say that cause I actually think an on form Picamoles is better than any of them.  An on form Picamoles is on a par with Kieran Read as the best in the world.  But as Hammer said, its all very subjective.

To be honest with you i for got about him.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

I think it's scary to think how good he could become. His development in the last six months or so has been immense. He already looks completely at home at international level.

With Morgan as back up we're looking pretty good there.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:48 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Funny you say that cause I actually think an on form Picamoles is better than any of them.  An on form Picamoles is on a par with Kieran Read as the best in the world.  But as Hammer said, its all very subjective.

True, it's all subjective. For me, Kieran Read is the best in the world, he's so consistent and is a real leader.

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

Cyril wrote:I think it's scary to think how good he could become. His development in the last six months or so has been immense. He already looks completely at home at international level.

With Morgan as back up we're looking pretty good there.

In Billy V and Morgan I think England have the perfect match Billy is more along the PI type player flair offload with a bit of grunt where as Morgan is more your typical Deano type old school barnstorming up ur jumper No8
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:55 pm

But he is 21

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:57 pm

adambarney wrote:But he is 21

As is Taulupe or there abouts.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

Who's Taulupe? Is that a weird autocorrect for Falatau (23)?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:01 pm

But TF doesn't stand out for me he good but billy got that x factor

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:03 pm

It will be good to see the cousins go head to head on 8th March.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

lots of great 8s in the 6N at the moment. its by far the strongest position.

france also have gilian galan waiting in the wings, and he often keeps picamoles on the bench at toulouse.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Who's Taulupe? Is that a weird autocorrect for Falatau (23)?

From what I can surmise Faletau has changed his first name from Toby to Taulupe.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by adambarney Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:06 pm

Yes big collisions plus lawes v Jones wood v lydiate

adambarney

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Who's Taulupe? Is that a weird autocorrect for Falatau (23)?

No it's his proper name.

It would be good to see Taulupe and Viliami playing head to head. But Billy has said he disliked playing against Mako so probably the same for Toby

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:10 pm

He is gradually cementing his way into the international scene. I think i would prefer Ben Morgan though still. He proves last week against France how much better he is as an all round player.

He doesn't have the same all round style as Parisse, Falateu or Picamoles but he is one hell of a ball career and is definitely England danger man at the moment.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:13 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

From what I can surmise Faletau has changed his first name from Toby to Taulupe.

No its his original name but when his father, along with Josh taumololo went to Ebbw Vale people struggled with the pronunciation Toby became a nickname.

Guess you think Billy is Vunipolas real name to.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

No its his original name but when his father, along with Josh taumololo went to Ebbw Vale people struggled with the pronunciation Toby became a nickname.

Well he has still changed it in that he was openly known by everyone as Toby were as he is now using Taulupe. Smile 

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:22 pm

Was very impressed with him today. Absolute monster going forward & also had at least one lovely offload. Top player.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

Well he has still changed it in that he was openly known by everyone as Toby were as he is now using Taulupe. Smile 

What and others haven't been known by their nickname in the past then decided to go back to proper name.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:28 pm

Great carrier, not sure if he'll ever be able to do as much around the park as Read but his work-rate isn't too shabby. Picamoles is an excellent 8 who I think is really rounding his game out. I think he's far better than Galan.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:46 pm

Alex Goode was openly known as 'G-oo-d'. Now it's 'G-u-d'.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm

"G-oo-d" as in Gude?

It's like Book...when I was growing up it was Boo-k... now it seems to be 'Buk'

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:56 pm

It's boo-k where I'm from.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm

Its very hard to compare all these players and a lot depends upon how they fit into the system they play in. BV has come on in leaps and bounds from his first performances, and right now I think he is a long way ahead of Morgan, a player who also impresses me a great deal. He is seriously busy and immensely strong. He covers a lot of ground and caused Scotland huge problems. Last weekend he was comfortably better than Picamoles but that was only one match

Today I wouldnt be surprised if Denton ran more meters, but that was when he was returning kicks. When he hit the England defense, most of the time he might as well have been hitting a brick wall. BV in contrast always made progress even in the heaviest traffic. And that offload.... even if maybe it might have been slightly forward.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:41 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Alex Goode was openly known as 'G-oo-d'. Now it's 'G-u-d' Sh-eye-T.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:42 pm

Yahoo 

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm

lostinwales wrote:And that offload.... even if maybe it might have been slightly forward.

I don't think it was. I think that's just a trick of the eye because you don't expect him to reach the whole way behind the defender to make it.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:45 pm

thomh wrote:
lostinwales wrote:And that offload.... even if maybe it might have been slightly forward.

I don't think it was. I think that's just a trick of the eye because you don't expect him to reach the whole way behind the defender to make it.

It seemed like a magic trick at the time.... It was brilliant

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:54 pm

lostinwales wrote:Its very hard to compare all these players and a lot depends upon how they fit into the system they play in. BV has come on in leaps and bounds from his first performances, and right now I think he is a long way ahead of Morgan, a player who also impresses me a great deal. He is seriously busy and immensely strong. He covers a lot of ground and caused Scotland huge problems. Last weekend he was comfortably better than Picamoles but that was only one match

Today I wouldnt be surprised if Denton ran more meters, but that was when he was returning kicks. When he hit the England defense, most of the time he might as well have been hitting a brick wall. BV in contrast always made progress even in the heaviest traffic. And that offload.... even if maybe it might have been slightly forward.

I actually thought Picamoles had a great game, and was possibly marginally better but slightly less flashy. He made some hard yards directly against BV as well. I think Nowell made a couple of great tackles on him though.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 09 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

Vunipola has been impressive and the good news is that at 21 Vunipola has massive potential to improve. By autumn 2015 he could be right up there, but there is a long way to go.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:21 pm

Vunipolas yardage is impressive, it'll be even better when the England scrum gets on a pitch that's firm and he can attack from it. Right now he's coming off a scrum that's falling to pieces and still making 3 or 4 guys work to stop him!

Probably worth noting that he's changed his carrying technique too (I think Sarries have sorted it), used to be 3 out of 4 times when he took contact he'd knock on, now he never seems to.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 09 Feb 2014, 9:42 pm

yappysnap wrote:Vunipolas yardage is impressive, it'll be even better when the England scrum gets on a pitch that's firm and he can attack from it. Right now he's coming off a scrum that's falling to pieces and still making 3 or 4 guys work to stop him!

Probably worth noting that he's changed his carrying technique too (I think Sarries have sorted it), used to be 3 out of 4 times when he took contact he'd knock on, now he never seems to.

Saracens do seem to have done a fantastic job with him. He is just on a different plane from his first international appearances

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 10 Feb 2014, 8:21 am

Yea they have, can't wait to see him on the charge on a solid pitch! (For the first time this tournament!).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:10 am

Who is the french guy that plays for Toulouse often ahead of Picamoles? Think his name is Galan. Not yet capped I think. only 20/21.

in the HC vs. Saracens he threw Vunipola around like a rag doll and made him look like Warwick Davis.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:23 am

Personally I think Ben Morgan is a far more intelligent & skillful No.8

Unfortunately for Ben he is not having a good season because he is playing behind the worst pack in the premiership at Gloucester. It must be like trying to shepard a herd of cats.

Otherwise I think BV would be on the bench and not starting.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:25 am

when he loses say 5-10kg and gets fitter I think he will be dynamite though, perhaps the best in the business. Very good player for one you would never describe as cut.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

Metal Tiger wrote:Personally I think Ben Morgan is a far more intelligent & skillful No.8

Unfortunately for Ben he is not having a good season because he is playing behind the worst pack in the premiership at Gloucester. It must be like trying to shepard a herd of cats.

Otherwise I think BV would be on the bench and not starting.

I would have had Morgan way ahead in the past, and he is as you say very intelligent and skillful, but right now Billy is ahead. I think BV has been a revelation with his current work rate and fitness, soft hands and even his footwork. If the competition can lift Morgan to new heights then that will only be a good thing. In the meantime Morgan is a fantastic impact player

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 10 Feb 2014, 12:13 pm

His fitness levels are exceptional. Countless times against Scotland he was on the shoulder of an offloading player, and always seemed to be around the ball- that means he cover serious yardage even without the ball. His rucking also was brilliant.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 10 Feb 2014, 12:20 pm

It would scare me if Leicester tigers decided that they didn't just want Burns.  Whistle 

Morgan would be a good signing albeit unrealistic.

fa0019 bit harsh to judge Billy harshly on one match. On the day the Toulouse forwards in general outplayed their opposite numbers. Billy has been great this season.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

Vunipola is a great player but I still think Picamoles is the best in the NH.

although Vunipola has a better skill set I also prefer Morgan's physicality.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

more to say that Galan is a beast.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 12:38 pm

I'm not sure many England players would be considered the best in their positions as we're really just deciding our full strength side. There's plenty who are performing at that top level though, they just need to keep it going.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next