The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 171... Welterweight-tastic!

4 posters

Go down

UFC 171... Welterweight-tastic! Empty UFC 171... Welterweight-tastic!

Post by Rinsure Fri 07 Mar 2014, 10:42 am

Okay, so I know we've got the UK card to look forward to this weekend, but I'm already looking forward to next weekend, and seeing how the post-GSP WW landscape shakes out.

Hendricks v. Lawler for the belt? Condit v. Woodley in title shot eliminator? Shields v. Lombard into the mix for next title shot possibilities?

Exciting times, and exciting fights. I'll hold my hands up, I'm a big Condit fan and am disappointed he's not in there rematching Hendrick for the belt; it was a hell of a close first fight, and I think Condit would have him over five rounds.

so, hoping - and expecting - Condit to dispose of Woodley. Woodley's an immense guy for a WW, with serious power, but he's not fought anyone with the toolset of Condit, and I suspect Woodley's muscle mass might lead him to tire.. I see Condit by UD.

Hendricks should have the tools to dispose of Lawler. Lawler's a big hitter, and if he lands one it could do the job, but if Bigg Rigg can get going, it should be short and brutal. I don't see this one going the distance! Hendricks by (T)KO in the 2nd.

Shields and Lombard are an interesting matchup; I thought Shields made hard work of Maia, and Lombard is a powerful striker. True striker v. grappler match... difficult to call. Interesting side note in that Shields beat Woodley a couple of fights back.

So, bring on this weekend, and then bring on the following one! Exciting times!

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

UFC 171... Welterweight-tastic! Empty Re: UFC 171... Welterweight-tastic!

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 07 Mar 2014, 11:12 am

Agreed, UFC 171 is fantastic and is a night for the WW.

I expect Big Rigg will stop Lawler probably 2nd round as well but Lawler has real chance and would be a great comeback for him.

Condit is too well rounded for Woodley I feel and whilst Woodley has KO power, Condit has one of the best chins to take it. Condit by late TKO or UD.

I think Lombard will KO Shields. Lombard is both quick and very powerful and whilst Shields is a good well rounded fighter, I can't see him evading Lombard's bombs for 15 minutes.

You've also got Diego Sanchez fighting who always entertains!

UFC London is good too and for a UK card, good value.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:08 pm

Cracking main event. Could have gone either way in the 5th!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 17 Mar 2014, 8:01 am

Great fight, Hendricks winning the 1st and 2nd with crisp combos but Lawler came back excellently in the 3rd and 4th and I thought he would have continued in the 5th.

Hendricks to his credit dug deep and finished strong and took the 5th which got him the deserved win.

Full credit to Lawler who I'm sure if he gets a couple more wins will get another shot.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Mon 17 Mar 2014, 9:18 am

Cracker, aye. Lawler gave it everything - loved seeing him grinning away while Hendricks was landing shots. He was proper gassed in the last couple of minutes though. If he'd had more in the tank it could have gone his way, delivered some massive shots, almost had JH at one point.

Shame about Condit's knee, but Woodley versus Hendricks for the title? It's one I'd watch!

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

Woodley is some athlete, unbelievably quick hands and feet.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm

Yer the main event was a great fight. I gave the 5th to Hendricks just, I was really hoping for Lawler to come on strong though. I don't think Big Rig was expecting Lawlers tactic of staying in the pocket and scrapping it out with him. Hendricks obviously change it round in the 5th and thats what won him the fight.

Yer I wouldnt mind seeing Woodley v Hendricks either.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:22 pm

I also LOVE watching Diego Sanchez fight. The guy is just a maniac.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:53 pm

Diego always brings it and as long as his opponent obliges it's a fight of the night contender!

He takes an awful beating Diego and wouldn't be surprised to see him punch drunk.

I was impressed with how easy Lombard handled Shields. Shields was hurt by every punch and was rag rolled by Lombard.

Shame about Condit too although Woodley showed how he deserved to be in the mix at welterweight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:26 am

Also, there's no way, in my opinion, that Hector Lombard isn't juicing. Just look at him!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:35 am

Lombard's never going to have the cardio to get go five rounds in a title fight. He's carrying too much muscle mass. He makes Woodley look lithe!

Who should get the next title shot? Who WILL get the next title shot?

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:26 am

Has to be Woodley for me. He's an exciting fighter.

Can't help but think that Hendricks would make mincemeat out of Rory McDonald.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

So who's in the mix?

Woodley - did he really *beat* Condit? Well yes, in the same way that Weidman beat Silva. I still rate Condit as the best in the division, pending recovery from the knee.

McDonald - I just don't really rate him. I can't put my finger on why, but he's not a dominant striker, not a dominant wrestler, and not even an entertaining fighter, IMHO.

Lombard - could argue he's in the same boat as Woodley, won on Sat night, but not particularly impressively. Woodley v Lombard for a #1 contender?

Winner of ellenberger / Saffedine - I like Saffedine, reckon his crisp striking and good wrestling might put him in the picture if he can get past Ellenberger; Ellenberger's middle-order, and I can't see him in the picture even with this win.

Lawler rematch - got to be the UFC's money shot at the moment, given it's an early shout for fight of the year (to date), and they both gave so much.

Dark horse? Nick Diaz...

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:01 pm

Apparently Diaz won't return unless he gets a title shot straight away. Not happening.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

It'd be a big seller...

Agree it's unlikely, Diaz is 0-2 in his last two fights, and last won, what, four years ago?

Still, Dana lurves the $$$... and Diaz draws the crowds....

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

Pr4wn wrote:Also, there's no way, in my opinion, that Hector Lombard isn't juicing. Just look at him!

Does make you wonder when he has come down from MW & is still huge, he looked a weight division above shields.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:00 am

Rinsure wrote:It'd be a big seller...

Agree it's unlikely, Diaz is 0-2 in his last two fights, and last won, what, four years ago?

Diaz doesn't deserve it, is he still that big a name? Does he still draw the crowds? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what all the fuss is about, he seems very one dimensional and has already been said his UFC record is very poor. Rate Nate higher of the 2.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

Rinsure wrote:So who's in the mix?2 or 3 good wins, & Hendricks

Woodley - did he really *beat* Condit? Well yes, in the same way that Weidman beat Silva. I still rate Condit as the best in the division, pending recovery from the knee.

Interesting one that & to some extent I agree with you, as it seems many others do. Woodley has spoken out on this & think he makes a fair point that he was winning the fight, had it been over 5 rounds & it goes into a fourth could easily have a different outcome. Do you think a No Contest could be brought into mma for these situations?

McDonald - I just don't really rate him. I can't put my finger on why, but he's not a dominant striker, not a dominant wrestler, and not even an entertaining fighter, IMHO.

I've got mixed feelings on this guy as well, don't mind admitting I bought into the hype when I 1st saw him but at the highest level he seems inconsistent & you can see Hendricks walking through him & rag dolling him, quite possibly Lombard & Woodley as well.

Lombard - could argue he's in the same boat as Woodley, won on Sat night, but not particularly impressively. Woodley v Lombard for a #1 contender?

Like this

Winner of ellenberger / Saffedine - I like Saffedine, reckon his crisp striking and good wrestling might put him in the picture if he can get past Ellenberger; Ellenberger's middle-order, and I can't see him in the picture even with this win.

Lawler rematch - got to be the UFC's money shot at the moment, given it's an early shout for fight of the year (to date), and they both gave so much.

2 or 3 wins & it'll happen, as long as Hendricks is still champ that is

Dark horse? Nick Diaz...

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:51 am

sohotnot wrote:
Rinsure wrote:So who's in the mix?2 or 3 good wins, & Hendricks

Interesting one that & to some extent I agree with you, as it seems many others do. Woodley has spoken out on this & think he makes a fair point that he was winning the fight, had it been over 5 rounds & it goes into a fourth could easily have a different outcome. Do you think a No Contest could be brought into mma for these situations?

I kinda like he NC idea for injuries, but it depends where you draw the line. It would have to be medically verified by a UFC accredited doctor, rather than an "in camp" doctor - I just see too many potential loopholes there to be exploited. Yeah, Woodley got the W, but I reckon Carlos would have won over the distance.

I've got mixed feelings on this guy as well, don't mind admitting I bought into the hype when I 1st saw him but at the highest level he seems inconsistent & you can see Hendricks walking through him & rag dolling him, quite possibly Lombard & Woodley as well.

Like this

2 or 3 wins & it'll happen, as long as Hendricks is still champ that is

It's pretty much the same position as Gus and JBJ. Went all the way, could have gone either way for a lot of people, great fight. I reckon Lawler will be right back in the mix after one fight (assuming he wins).

Dark horse? Nick Diaz...

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:53 am

sohotnot wrote:
Rinsure wrote:It'd be a big seller...

Diaz doesn't deserve it, is he still that big a name? Does he still draw the crowds? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what all the fuss is about, he  seems very one dimensional and has already been said his UFC record is very poor. Rate Nate higher of the 2.

Completely agree that Diaz doesn't deserve it. Doesn't mean it won't happen. I think he'll be lured back, possibly for a fight with Lawler and the winner gets Bigg Rigg.

I've always been underwhelmed by Nick Diaz's fighting too, but he talks a good game, and he'd sell, I reckon. I'll be amazed if he's not fighting back in the UFC this year.

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down