The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

+32
Andy48
lydian
banbrotam
bogbrush
coolpixel
TRuffin
slashermcguirk
break_in_the_fifth
Good Golly I'm Olly
lorus59
naxroy
mthierry
ChequeredJersey
Henman Bill
reckoner
Lionel Hutz
kingraf
FedsFan
lags72
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
Josiah Maiestas
The Special Juan
Silver
LuvSports!
Gerry SA
Born Slippy
Jahu
HM Murdock
sirfredperry
laverfan
invisiblecoolers
36 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all - Page 10 Empty Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Awesome match and a fitting climax for a tournament full of upsets, its Wimbledon Final come Sunday and it will be contested by 7 time Champion Roger Federer and the No.1 Seed Novak Djokovic.

Federer

Key Strengths - Experience , Grass court movements, Serve and finally anticipation.

A-Game - Serve, volley, aggression, grass court movements, big forehands [all], backhand slices, topspins and flatout shots DTL and experience in handling points and holding nerves.

Weakness - Lack of Stamina to play a longer 5 set game [compared to his prime], Mid match focus lapse, Loops balls on backhands, slow 2nd servers [off late a big problem].

Crowd Support - Big time on, will be undoubtedly the crowd favorite , 80-20 should be expected.

Historical Achievement - First ever Men's Champion of all time [Yes all time] to win 8 Wimbledon  titles. 18 Grand Slams.  censored 

Djokovic

Key Strengths - Return, movement, stamina, Backhand [all], Big points play.

A-Game - Backhand [all], Forehand  [all], Super Serbian Serves, Rebound Aces [Returns], Pace Variance [Slow and Fast Mix], passing shots, lobs, slices, top spins, volleys, drop shots.

Weakness - Grass court movements, lack of confidence, mid match focus lapse pressure to perform and Lack of Crowd Support

Crowd Support - Generally loves to play against the crowd, it won't be different tomorrow, 20% plus support should be expected.

Historical Achievement - Multiple Wimbledon Winner, World No. Status

H2H

In General - Federer 16-14
@Wimbledon - Federer 1-0
@GS Finals - Federer 1-0
@GS - Federer 6-5
@All Finals Djoko 5-4

Wimbledon 2014 Stats

Djoko vs Fed

Aces - 73 vs 69
DF - 9 vs 5
1st Serve in 68 vs 66
Server Broken 8 vs 1
Service Held - 93% vs 98%
Forehand Winners 53 vs 56
Backhand Winner 55 vs 31
Time on Court 15:09 vs 10:16

Prediction: Djoko is more or less determined and I guess destined to win his 2nd Wimbledon given his age , stamina and experienced coach Becker.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all - Page 10 Empty Re: Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

Post by naxroy Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:43 am

congrats to djokovic and federer. two great tennis players

special congrats to 7 times slam champion and great fighter djokovic

these guys are writing one of the most beautiful pages of this sports history

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all - Page 10 Empty Re: Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

Post by TRuffin Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:01 am

Djokovic says in his presser that it's the highest quality final he's ever been in!!

From Jimmy Conners:
They both played their best tennis at the same time. In most finals there is a lull but I didn't think there was today - it was just such high quality.
"I hope people understand what they were seeing today. They have seen a 32-year-old absolutely unbelievable athlete go toe to toe with a man five years younger than him and you have seen Novak go out there and take the game to Roger who has won seven titles on this surface."

They both deserve huge applause.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 07 Jul 2014, 7:01 am

I was working so never saw the match but it sounds like a thriller so well done to both.

The win gets Novak back on the winning track in slam finals after losses against Nadal and Murray and makes breaking through that ten slam barrier before he retires a little closer and look more possible if he can stay fit. A real caveat for him being Federer on what many insist is Novak's weakest surface but perhaps we'd need to question that theory now.

For Roger he can take immense pride in reaching the final and I am sure it pushes any thoughts of retirement further to the back of his mind. However, I think you can now write in indelible ink that he will now end with 17 slam wins. Everything came together, the celestial stars aligned and ye the still he couldn't win the elusive 18th. He coasted through to keep his fitness levels as high as possible so no fatigue, the draw opened up for him as well and he was playing on his favourite surface against a player often maligned as not a natural grass-courter so if he couldn't win now then it will never happen again.

It is tough to judge how both will feel now. Novak will feel relieved that he has ended his losing streak in slam finals and no doubt elated at beating the legendary grass-courter Roger Federer in the final. It should re-invigorate him as he continues to push for further slam goals and titles. Roger must have loved just being back on the big stage in a slam final and felt like he was back at home. By all accounts he milked the occasion and who can blame him? However, in the cold light of day he will maybe think of missed chances in that fifth set and see it as a golden chance lost.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 07 Jul 2014, 7:32 am

Strange to think that Novak has now had greater success at Wimbledon than he has at the US Open.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 07 Jul 2014, 7:36 am

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/desmond-kane/federer-rousing-wimbledon-resurgence-impetus-golden-finale-045419133.html

"Watching Federer play tennis remains an intensely pleasurable experience. It should be given out as part of a relaxation therapy on the NHS"  Yahoo
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:05 am

CC - excellent summary, if you don't mind me saying. For Fed a win would have been nice. For Djoko a win was an absolute necessity. It may well be Fed's last chance of winning a slam but he's going to keep on trying, I guess.
  This final was reminiscent of the 1980 Borg-McEmroe "tiebreak" final and also the 08 Rog-Rafa epic in that the eventual winner had to put aside the disappointment of lost MPs in the 4th set to regroup and eventually win in the 5th. It takes real steel to do that.
  It remains that no man has lost a Wimbledon final having held MPs since poor John Bromwich in 1948. Coria held MPs in the French in 04 and lost and I think Laver in his amateur days also tasted defeat after having an MP.
  As it is, it's getting tasty at the top again with Rafa and Nole slugging it out for year-end number one and Rog looking likely to finish in the top four again.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:09 am

One thing is for sure, really going to miss these top players when they leave the scene. Everyone entitled to their own opinions but for me this golden generation has provided some of the most memorable tennis moments you could ever wish to see. I remember enjoying Becker vs Egberg and Sampras vs Agassi but the matches between these greats in recent years are just incredible. Enjoy it while we have them, an absolute treat. I have friends who have never had an interest in tennis telling me they are now hooked

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:44 am

bogbrush wrote:I'm still surprised he can push the #1 this hard. I feared before the match that it could be three sets but to get to the brink is admirable.

I don't go with this idea that he was lucky to get to the fifth, that's nonsense - he resisted a hard assault on his serve throughout - Djokovic would have broken anyone else far more than four times today - and he was brutal in attacking Djokovic in the fourth when all seemed lost. That crosscourt forehand to break back to 2-3 was stunning, even Novak couldn't get close to it.

So TMF possibly walks away from his last Slam final. Probably, even. But he is the most talented player I've ever seen since I started watching the game in 1972 and he's healthy. Why not another?

Yes, the fact that Novak's fitness is always held in high regard it is amazing Roger had him on the ropes there at almost 6 years older. Looking at the stats and everything that went on it makes it even sadder Roger did not win it. To think this maybe his last slam final or at least his best chance gone to reach 18/8 is a sad prospect. I don't think he has played such a good match in ages and still come up short. It is a shame Novak decided to turn his slam losing streak round yesterday as I would have been quite happy for him to postpone it until the USO! If this was demolition job like Murray's match its easier to accept but the fact that Roger pulled it into a fifth makes it harder. I felt a break was necessary early in the fifth before Novak could rebound but alas it was not to be.

I think it was smart thinking of Mirka's part to have the kids up there as I too thought she must have done it to take the edge off the loss a bit.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:46 am

slashermcguirk wrote:One thing is for sure, really going to miss these top players when they leave the scene.
I feel the same.

We have a bunch of players who, as well as being outstanding players, have distinctive personalities and generally conduct themselves well.

Their stranglehold on the game, while it does have some obvious downsides, nevertheless has produced extensive and meaningful rivalries that extend over years and create wonderful narratives. It enables us to see them rise and fall, succeed and fail, battle obstacles and gain redemption. We simply wouldn't get this level of drama with players who made a handful of finals and gradually faded away.

The game does need some younger players to step up so that when the top guys leave the scene, we aren't left with a narrative-less wilderness. We need some emergent new rivalries. For the first time in a long time, I have some optimism that one or two may be starting to germinate.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:51 am

"I have friends who have never had an interest in tennis telling me they are now hooked" - SlashMcQ

That's excellent news. We fans sometimes forget that those with little interest in the sport need inspirational figures and great matches to fire their imagination. Well, this current top lot are certainly providing the spark for non-aficianodos.
Some great pieces in the Press today reflecting on the final. Fed fans might well want to read Simon Barnes in The Times who always writes beautifully about sport and is in top form today. You sense it's not just the fans who will miss Fed when he finally calls it a day. It's the Press, too.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:59 am

FedsFan wrote:Yes, the fact that Novak's fitness is always held in high regard it is amazing Roger had him on the ropes there at almost 6 years older.
Roger had him on the ropes by shotmaking and exerting pressure, not fitness.

Fitness probably played a part toward the end. Federer covered 4,096 metres compared to Novak's 3,773 so he was running a bit more. He looked a bit weary in his final couple of service games, as one would expect.

I wouldn't say it was too attritional a game though. Both players were hitting winners rather than playing grindingly long points.

The big difference was probably that one is 27, the other is pushing 33.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 07 Jul 2014, 11:56 am

HM, hope you are feeling more optimistic about Novak now. I think he overcame some serious mental demons to win that 5th set.

That could well be the most important win of his career, particularly beating federer on what is almost his home court, not only that but it was in my opinion the best serving performance from federer in years! I still don't know how djokovic recovered from losing that 4th set. Serious kudos to him for digging deep.

As for federer, a superb effort and performance.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 07 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm

Slasher, I'm really pleased that Novak was able to dig deep and get the win.

At the time, I thought that 4th set was a spectacular collapse. Having watched it back, I think it was more to do with Federer producing great tennis than it was Novak messing up (although I think his level did come down a notch).

I haven't really revised my expectations too dramatically though. I still think 10 slams is probably out of reach. Could he add to his 7? Possibly, but I think a lot depends to how motivated he feels once he is married and becomes a father. Generally speaking (and because I love a good Rocky quote!): The worst thing that happened to you, that can happen to any fighter: you got civilized.

Let's see how it affects Novak.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:38 pm

Well said, hopefully he can come out firing at the US open and play with the shackles off! Coming through such a massive pressure situation against federer should do wonders for him.

I agree that fatherhood will really test him and how he balances that.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:I agree that fatherhood will really test him and how he balances that.

He can be inspired by Federer and Wawrinka. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:33 pm

Can we just nail this stuff about Federer's fluked run to the final? As often, something gets said, repeated, and people just adopt it as truth because they've heard it.

He had by far the hardest quarter draw and the final was the first time either guy me a fellow top dog. Novak had serial underachiever Cilic in the quarter and a lower ranked semi-final opponent than Federer did.

The early rounds are irrelevant, unless you get a dangerous player down on his luck (and ranking) they are all supposed to be easily beatable.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

So gutted by Federer's loss. I don't think Djokovic has particularly upped his level yet was the clear forerunner for most of the match, clearly demonstrating how much Fed has declined. I will be very surprised to see him in a Wimby final again.

Ah well - at least he's entertaining to watch and he did so well to take it to 5. Congrats old codger Bubbly

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jul 2014, 3:26 pm

bogbrush wrote:Can we just nail this stuff about Federer's fluked run to the final? As often, something gets said, repeated, and people just adopt it as truth because they've heard it.

He had by far the hardest quarter draw and the final was the first time either guy me a fellow top dog. Novak had serial underachiever Cilic in the quarter and a lower ranked semi-final opponent than Federer did.

The early rounds are irrelevant, unless you get a dangerous player down on his luck (and ranking) they are all supposed to be easily beatable.

In fairness Stan did play 2 BO5 over 2 days before meeting Federer and had no time to recover.

Who knows what an extra day's rest would've done for Federer? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 3:40 pm

Stan certainly looked like he had the upper hand until he started feeling unwell.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 3:59 pm

reckoner wrote:Stan certainly looked like he had the upper hand until he started feeling unwell.

Stan match was a mystery on how quick he fell from the epic 1st standards.

@ the finals, everything was picture perfect except the climax, but climax would be a tragic anyways even had Djoko lost, so I am going to take some time off from Tennis due to this emotional match.  Sad 

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:02 pm

DirectView2 wrote:
reckoner wrote:Stan certainly looked like he had the upper hand until he started feeling unwell.

@ the finals, everything was picture perfect except the climax, but climax would be a tragic anyways even had Djoko lost, so I am going to take some time off from Tennis due to this emotional match.  Sad 

Sissy!

Get yourself a can of man up and start watching again! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 4:03 pm

DirectView2 wrote:

I sympathise - there's the World Cup in the mean time, but don't get too far from tennis, the hardcourt swing will be upon us before you know it!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by DJB14 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 6:54 pm

bogbrush wrote:I'm still surprised he can push the #1 this hard. I feared before the match that it could be three sets but to get to the brink is admirable.

I don't go with this idea that he was lucky to get to the fifth, that's nonsense - he resisted a hard assault on his serve throughout - Djokovic would have broken anyone else far more than four times today - and he was brutal in attacking Djokovic in the fourth when all seemed lost. That crosscourt forehand to break back to 2-3 was stunning, even Novak couldn't get close to it.

So TMF possibly walks away from his last Slam final. Probably, even. But he is the most talented player I've ever seen since I started watching the game in 1972 and he's healthy. Why not another?

I think he was actually, and when a 6 time grand slam champion is serving for the match then I think there is always a bit of luck if the opponent manages to get back into it because players of that caliber should always be seeing it out. I don't think you can get out of a situation like that without a little luck. However, so was Djokovic when Federer was serving for the match at the USO 3 years ago. What goes around comes around.

More to the point, who cares if he got a bit lucky, that's just sport, you need a little luck along the way to win the biggest prizes.

DJB14

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Mon 07 Jul 2014, 7:34 pm

A lot of gloom by Federer fans... Guys, 33 year olds don't win slams. Not in today's game. Rather than regretting the lost chances, you should be fricking proud that it took a super fit Djokovoic a bleeding five sets to defeat him.

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 7:51 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:

Sissy!

Excuse me gay boy, the only thing thats sissy is your comment and your look up in this thread. picard 

Somebody being strong doesn't mean they should not be emotional, I lost a bit of interest in the game and its nothing to do with the result coz even if Djoko lost I would have felt the same and hence decided to take some time off, can't see whats wrong with it.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:19 pm

coolpixel wrote:A lot of gloom by Federer fans... Guys, 33 year olds don't win slams. Not in today's game. Rather than regretting the lost chances, you should be fricking proud that it took a super fit Djokovoic a bleeding five sets to defeat him.

Quite agree, CP. Till he hangs up his racquet and calls it a day, he is a contender. Rosewall (and Gimeno) should serve as inspiration for the Old Man.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm

DirectView2 wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
DirectView2 wrote:

Sissy!

Excuse me gay boy, the only thing thats sissy is your comment and your look up in this thread. picard 

Somebody being strong doesn't mean they should not be emotional, I lost a bit of interest in the game and its nothing to do with the result coz even if Djoko lost I would have felt the same and hence decided to take some time off, can't see whats wrong with it.

Easy fella!

I was messing around.

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

laverfan wrote:
coolpixel wrote:A lot of gloom by Federer fans... Guys, 33 year olds don't win slams. Not in today's game. Rather than regretting the lost chances, you should be fricking proud that it took a super fit Djokovoic a bleeding five sets to defeat him.

Quite agree, CP. Till he hangs up his racquet and calls it a day, he is a contender. Rosewall (and Gimeno) should serve as inspiration for the Old Man.

No doubt he did well.

BUT the truth is he lost his serve and with it the match. Djokovic didn't have to do anything special in that last game, it was a gift.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 9:25 pm

reckoner wrote:
laverfan wrote:

No doubt he did well.

BUT the truth is he lost his serve and with it the match. Djokovic didn't have to do anything special in that last game, it was a gift.

What we keep forgetting is the heart of the man to fight the impossibles, his fans should be proud of him, yes it was a disappointment not to see him lift the title but the heart he showed yesterday to win the 4th set was pure magic.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10