The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N lookahead

+54
A Simply Mesmeric Try
cp10
The Saint
AB1990
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
justified sinner
teh_Dingmeister
Rugby Fan
EST
bsando
maestegmafia
Gwlad
Welly
lostinwales
Prothero
beshocked
bluestonevedder
RuggerRadge2611
bedfordwelsh
demosthenes
jimbopip
highland_scot
SecretFly
IanBru
The Bachelor
malky1963
Majestic83
blackcanelion
GLove39
Geordie
whocares
reallybored
alive555
Captain_Sensible
LordDowlais
MacKnocked-on
SirBurger
thebandwagonsociety
nickj
Nematode
R!skysports
JonnyEdinburgh
EWT Spoons
Dorothy_Mantooth
Anglobraveheart
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
tigertattie
TJ
BigGee
George Carlin
RDW
58 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 3 Empty Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by RDW Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 3 LogoScotland 6N lookahead - Page 3 Vern_c10

Fixtures

07/02 France V Scotland - 17:00
15/02 Scotland V Wales - 15:00

28/02 Scotland V Italy - 14:30

14/03 England V Scotland - 17:00
21/03 Scotland V Ireland - 14:30

6N standings last 10 years

2014 - 5th, 1 win
2013 - 3rd, 2 wins
2012 - 6th, 0 wins
2011 - 5th, 1 win
2010 - 5th, 1 win
2009 - 5th, 1 win
2008 - 5th, 1 win
2007 - 6th, 1 win
2006 - 3rd, 3 wins
2005 - 5th, 1 win

Squad

FORWARDS: Hugh Blake Erm (Edinburgh Rugby), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Rob Harley, Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (all Glasgow Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch Shocked (Perpignan), Ben Toolis, Hamish Watson (both Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar, (Glasgow Warriors) Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg, Peter Horne (both Glasgow Warriors) Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Tonks, Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby).

Unavailable through injury: Adam Ashe (neck), Chris Fusaro (ankle), Grant Gilchrist (arm), Tyrone Holmes (face), Ruaridh Jackson (knee), Duncan Taylor (hamstring), Duncan Weir (arm).

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:32 am

LordDowlais wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:The thing with Anscombe is he has a Welsh mother, so he qualifies straight away, what I am 100% against though is him getting a dual contract and getting fast tracked into the Welsh squad. He should be made to earn his place first, I would much rather see a promising young player from the Blues academy like Cory Allen get a dual contract first. OK

So how does that differ then from Hilterbrand, Atkins and Toolis who you described as "technically not Scottish"??

What I mean is, there is a difference to somebody who has a geniune affinity to a country other than spending three years of their adult life in the said country. OK

OK, understood. So when you said that 7 of the Edinburgh pack were "technically not Scottish", what you were really saying is that you had absolutely no idea on what basis the Edinburgh players qualify to play for Scotland!!

I think it's just one player in the pack against Cardiff, Nel (tighthead), who is currently NSQ and will likely play for Scotland based on residency, unless you count Denton, who went to Uni in Edinburgh and has played from U20 upwards.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:34 am

funnyExiledScot wrote: Denton, who went to Uni

Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:41 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Shocked

Studied economics apparently, from what I believe must be the "Fred Goodwin/Alec Salmond Economics Department".

He also played for the Accies 3rd XV whilst at uni, suggesting he's come a long way in the rugby world pretty quickly. Perhaps explains a couple of rough edges around the more technical aspects of his game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:48 am

How old was Denton when he moved to Scotland ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:52 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:55 am

His mother is also Scottish, born in Glasgow.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:56 am

blackcanelion wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:I'm pretty sure the Scottish RU is looking to get John Hardie (Southland) and Hugh Blake (Otago) for the world cup squad. Both qualify through grandparents. I think they're both still under contract to the NZRFU, which poses a bit of a stumbling block.

How do you rate those players, BlackCanelion?

Don't know. I've missed most of the super rugby/provincial season because of kids sport, and travel. I honestly don't know. I can't say I've heard either name much. Southland/Otago tend to produce hard nosed loose forwards that would probably fit into the Scottish style. I think Blake is a former under 20 rep.  

My guess if they want either of them it's as much about building competition for places. You need depth to the squad. I suspect an issue for Scotland is the fact that there are only 2 professional clubs and the local player base is small. It's hard enough in NZ.

Watched Hardie a lot over the last 2 or 3 seasons in super rugby. He is a very good player, very quick and a good link man between backs and forwards. Tough in the tackle and very good at the breakdown. Didn't play as much in the recent super rugby campaign. Was injured for a little while and struggled to regain the 7 jersey from Shane Christie who was in excellent form. Would say Hardie reminds me of Barclay in the way he plays, possibly a bit quicker and more aggressive than Barclay though.
He is a v good 7 but I wouldn't rate him any higher than Blair Cowan or John Barclay at the moment. Would probably put him above Fusaro and Watson though.

Saw Hugh Blake play a couple of games for Otago this season in the ITM. He actually looked a very decent player and surprised he hasn't got a super rugby contract although there are lots of very good 7s over there. Pretty quick as well and very physical. Also seemed to be a decent option at the tail of the line out. Hard to tell from the couple games I saw but he definitely looks a good prospect. Is he any better than the top back rowers we have available to Scotland just now? probably not!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Shocked

Studied economics apparently, from what I believe must be the "Fred Goodwin/Alec Salmond Economics Department".

He also played for the Accies 3rd XV whilst at uni, suggesting he's come a long way in the rugby world pretty quickly. Perhaps explains a couple of rough edges around the more technical aspects of his game.

Yep he did play 3rds for Accies when he was at "uni" Think he made the Scotland u20s team playing out of accies 2s and 3s. Played against him at 2s level, he was good at that level and was certainly a big imposing boy at 18. Seemed to be very similar to the way he plays now, just took it into contact the majority of the time. His passing and handling were worse though!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:17

So he moved here to study ? Or did he come to Scotland in the hope to play rugby for them ? I suppose we will never know the real answer, but was he identified by the SRU as somebody they could use to bolster their ranks ?

I am only asking this as I am totaly against this type of thing happening, I know I sometimes rub people up the wrong way with my stance on this subject, but I do not only single out the Scotts when I talk about this, I am strongly against it in my own country as well, the Blues have just signed two Argies that will never play for Wales, I have had this "debate" on the terraces and in the clubhouse with people there as well, I am a country before club/region/province supporter, others are not, I understand this, but I just think it is a little alarming, where a union has only two pro teams, and playing positions should be at a premium, and the option is to look outside your own country to fill the playing positions rather than promote from within. I am sorry if my views on this upset some of you so much. Hug

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:03 am

Completely off topic, but thinking about these thick rugby players attending higher education, one of the guys on my rugby team's dissertation topic, and I kid you not, was 'the social drinking culture within rugby teams' - think it's fair to say he did a lot of research on that topic!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:06 am

LordDowlais wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:17

So he moved here to study ? Or did he come to Scotland in the hope to play rugby for them ? I suppose we will never know the real answer, but was he identified by the SRU as somebody they could use to bolster their ranks ?

I am only asking this as I am totaly against this type of thing happening, I know I sometimes rub people up the wrong way with my stance on this subject, but I do not only single out the Scotts when I talk about this, I am strongly against it in my own country as well, the Blues have just signed two Argies that will never play for Wales, I have had this "debate" on the terraces and in the clubhouse with people there as well, I am a country before club/region/province supporter, others are not, I understand this, but I just think it is a little alarming, where a union has only two pro teams, and playing positions should be at a premium, and the option is to look outside your own country to fill the playing positions rather than promote from within. I am sorry if my views on this upset some of you so much. Hug

I'm pretty sure he wasn't scouted, wasn't offered a deal, just wanted to come to Scotland to play some rugby and experience a new culture in the land of his mother's birth.  He was spotted at Accies level, made it to Scotland under 20, and the rest is history.

His 'little' brother has followed a similar route - think he's 17/18 now.  One to keep an eye on maybe.

I know where you're coming from, but I really don't think Scotland are that bad in this regard - certainly compared to other nations - and I don't think many Scotland fans will have issues with the current 'Scottishness' of the international squad. The majority are Scottish born and bred, and the ones that aren't are certainly adding a lot of value just now (Cowan, Visser, Maitland, Seymour etc).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

Look, if John Hardie wanted to play for Scotland, he'd be here by now. He'd have heard from the likes of Maitland that Scotland are improving and would know that our RWC pool is OK (ish). He's been mentioned countless times in the media, here and elsewhere so he must either know or been contacted by the SRU, so I would be tempted to leave him out. If you were serious about Scotland (committed), you'd have been eager to get here by now for the AIs. I'm also a bit nervous that he comes over (like Strauss) a bit tired and not at his best for the RWC.

What would be better is if the SRU tried to see if Rennie would be interested in moving to Glasgow, or at least on loan.  If we had both Rennie and Cowan in top rugby teams competing at a high level, that would be fine for the pro team. I think Glasgow have space for a 7 too. I'm not wholly convinced by Fusaro or Holmes.

What we really need IMO is another intl level SR, and maybe another Scottish utility back. Forgot about Fife & Brown.

I just want the SRU to sign this guy though.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:23 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Completely off topic, but thinking about these thick rugby players attending higher education, one of the guys on my rugby team's dissertation topic, and I kid you not, was 'the social drinking culture within rugby teams' - think it's fair to say he did a lot of research on that topic!

My Uni was notorious (and still is) is for admitting rugby players and rowers to study "Land Economy" or "Geography" on post-grad courses which tend to come with an automatic 2:1 short of actually soiling your exam paper. Of course you did always get the odd annoying bloke who was just extremely good at everything (and I thought I was the only one....), but they were definitely the exception to the rule.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:27 am

Nematode wrote:Look, if John Hardie wanted to play for Scotland, he'd be here by now. He'd have heard from the likes of Maitland that Scotland are improving and would know that our RWC pool is OK (ish). He's been mentioned countless times in the media, here and elsewhere so he must either know or been contacted by the SRU

To be fair, there are these things called contracts, and Hardie is contracted until July 2015! According to the Scotsman article I posted on the banter thread, the Highlanders are digging their heels in and not letting him go early.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:

To be fair, there are these things called contracts, and Hardie is contracted until July 2015! According to the Scotsman article I posted on the banter thread, the Highlanders are digging their heels in and not letting him go early.

According to the Otago Daily Times he signed on for 1 more season (i.e. this one) and said Scotland wasn't on his agenda at the time. To me, that doesn't sound like someone who really wants to play for Scotland. I'd rather have someone like Hamish Watson who would have dreamed of playing for Scotland than someone who thinks Scotland is beneath them.

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/309601/rugby-hardie-its-home-game

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:44 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Completely off topic, but thinking about these thick rugby players attending higher education, one of the guys on my rugby team's dissertation topic, and I kid you not, was 'the social drinking culture within rugby teams' - think it's fair to say he did a lot of research on that topic!

My Uni was notorious (and still is) is for admitting rugby players and rowers to study "Land Economy" or "Geography" on post-grad courses which tend to come with an automatic 2:1 short of actually soiling your exam paper. Of course you did always get the odd annoying bloke who was just extremely good at everything (and I thought I was the only one....), but they were definitely the exception to the rule.
And Gavin Hastings 'went' to Cambridge.

At least long enough to captain the sky blues to victory in the varsity match, that is.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:47 am

Nematode wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

According to the Otago Daily Times he signed on for 1 more season (i.e. this one) and said Scotland wasn't on his agenda at the time. To me, that doesn't sound like someone who really wants to play for Scotland. I'd rather have someone like Hamish Watson who would have dreamed of playing for Scotland than someone who thinks Scotland is beneath them.

Well the article was July 2014, and so a year would be July 2015...!

I take these comments as a pinch of salt - given he was still going to be employed by the Highlanders for at least another year, and probably hadn't agreed anything with the SRU at the time, he's hardly going to say 'I've had enough of you Highlanders, I'm going to go to Scotland in a year, make loadsa money and play for Scotland!' is he??

Stephen Shingler anyone... monkey

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:20 pm

If he had wanted to play for Scotland, his agent would have contacted the SRU at the time and I'm pretty confident the SRU would have wanted him.

The fact he [probably] declined a 3 year deal at [probably] Glasgow for a 1 year deal at a struggling club makes me feel he probably isn't all too interested in Scotland. At his age, who knows, he may still be in with a long shot of getting capped against a team like Japan as an AB.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

And Gavin Hastings 'went' to Cambridge.

At least long enough to captain the sky blues to victory in the varsity match, that is.

Stuart Barnes "went" to Oxford as well, but I'm sure his weighty intellectual commentary told you that.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Nov 2014, 1:33 pm

Nematode wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Picking players for Scotland on the basis of who has dreamed about it or who wants it most is probably not a great basis for a winning international rugby team. On that basis I would probably have got a cap!

I would prefer we picked the best available players. If Hardie comes over and makes himself available, then let him compete for the Jersey with Watson, Cowan, Barclay, Rennie and all the rest. Depth and competition is a good thing. I not think for a minute he is going to come straight off the plane and into the team or that he has been told the jersey is his. If he wants it he will have to play well and fight for it and if he is the best then he should get it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 26 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11359673

It's the NZ herald player ratings for Sco vs NZ. Paha laughing

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 3:27 pm

Nematode wrote:Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11359673

It's the NZ herald player ratings for Sco vs NZ. Paha laughing

Again, well behind with the times - this was discussed ages ago! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 26 Nov 2014, 3:30 pm

The NZ herald really doesn't like Sean Maitland eh!

Does that paper just write rubbish to get folk kicking off? How that "journalist" that wrote than can expect a salaery is bewildering!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 26 Nov 2014, 4:03 pm

Nematode wrote:If he had wanted to play for Scotland, his agent would have contacted the SRU at the time and I'm pretty confident the SRU would have wanted him.

The fact he [probably] declined a 3 year deal at [probably] Glasgow for a 1 year deal at a struggling club makes me feel he probably isn't all too interested in Scotland. At his age, who knows, he may still be in with a long shot of getting capped against a team like Japan as an AB.

There are a lot of assumptions in that post.

We have no idea if he was offered any kind of deal at any club in Scotland, and given the glacial pace the SRU tends to work at, chances are he wasn’t offered anything before his contract renewal was discussed with Highlanders.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by malky1963 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 4:15 pm

According to this article..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/63529415/Scotland-chase-Southland-flanker-John-Hardie

... 'the sticking point for Hardie is he is contracted to the New Zealand Rugby Union through to the end of the year, and the NZRU are keen for him to see out that contract rather than grant a release.'

malky1963

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

This is also quite telling:
Hardie's manager Tom Downey said yesterday the contract situation was "sensitive" and he could not comment on the flanker's situation and whether a move to Scotland was on the cards for Hardie.
So in other words, "we're a bit p!ssed off about this".

That's actually fairly encouraging in terms of how valuable he seems to be to the Stags.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 26 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:The thing with Anscombe is he has a Welsh mother, so he qualifies straight away, what I am 100% against though is him getting a dual contract and getting fast tracked into the Welsh squad. He should be made to earn his place first, I would much rather see a promising young player from the Blues academy like Cory Allen get a dual contract first. OK

So how does that differ then from Hilterbrand, Atkins and Toolis who you described as "technically not Scottish"??

What I mean is, there is a difference to somebody who has a geniune affinity to a country other than spending three years of their adult life in the said country. OK

Its very difficult to tell this tho.

Sean Lineen - A kilted kiwi and he has stayed and been a great servant of scottish rugby. Budge Pountey / Brendon Laney - complete mercenary ( and crap) How would you know when they first started playing in Scotland?

Of the current crop I am sure many will stay. Denton, for one

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Wed 26 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

Scotland should target their 3 home fixtures in the 6N; I think the Italy and Wales games are definitely winnable.

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

As I said so many times during Shingler-gate, I really don't think we can make assumptions about how a player feels or doesn't feel based on their upbringing.

I was born in England to Scottish parents, and brought up mostly in the US. I know if lots of people (other expats) who have no particular allegiance to Scotland in sport or any other domain.

And yet my brother and I would run around the Cincinnati suburbs (picture Desperate Housewives but with more guns) pretending to be Townsend and Hastings, doing our best Bill McLaren impersonations in truly horrific mid-western American accents!

Of course it was cheesy, but you really can't say "Well that guy wasn't born in Scotland, didn't grow up in Scotland, wasn't educated in Scotland, so he's not Scottish." Nationality and allegiance are very funny things, and if someone says, even in a broad antipodean accent, "I've wanted to play for Scotland since I was a kid. I've got a grandmother in Dundee who knitted me tartan underwear. She'll be so proud to see me take the field in the dark blue.", I really don't think it's my right to question his motives.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:35 pm

IanBru wrote:As I said so many times during Shingler-gate, I really don't think we can make assumptions about how a player feels or doesn't feel based on their upbringing.

I was born in England to Scottish parents, and brought up mostly in the US. I know if lots of people (other expats) who have no particular allegiance to Scotland in sport or any other domain.

And yet my brother and I would run around the Cincinnati suburbs (picture Desperate Housewives but with more guns) pretending to be Townsend and Hastings, doing our best Bill McLaren impersonations in truly horrific mid-western American accents!

Of course it was cheesy, but you really can't say "Well that guy wasn't born in Scotland, didn't grow up in Scotland, wasn't educated in Scotland, so he's not Scottish." Nationality and allegiance are very funny things, and if someone says, even in a broad antipodean accent, "I've wanted to play for Scotland since I was a kid. I've got a grandmother in Dundee who knitted me tartan underwear. She'll be so proud to see me take the field in the dark blue.", I really don't think it's my right to question his motives.

Completely agree with that, Having moved to England when I was five and been living and dying following Scottish sport ever since (generally dying!), 45 years and counting and nothing changes with the way I feel. My wife who is Italian and has lived in England for 25 years now, just does not get it at all. It is a strange thing nationality and it is most definitely not fair to assume how people feel.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:49 pm

Otyher way journey for me. Born in the west country, moved to Scotland aged 9. (45 years ago) I do not call myself a scot but supporting the Scotland team is in my heart. I really annoys me sometimes - I could have been a bath and England supporter and won a few things - but instead its Scotland and Edinburgh for me and a string of defeats. You cannot change what is in your heart

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:06 pm

I was born, and have always lived, in England, but both my parents are Scottish and being English has never been an option for me and when people try to argue why I feel more affinity to Scotland trying to explain that choosing the perennial wooden spoon contenders in rugby and a football team that haven't qualified for anything other than a slap since 1998 was not a conscious choice is always difficult.

That's why I always struggle with the eligibility issue, no one is entirely sure except the individual, and if they choose Scotland they probably wouldn't be able to explain it. I can honestly say that if Stuart Lancaster called me tomorrow I'd turn him down in an instant. Having said that I have a friend who was born in Canada to English parents from an English family and moved to England shortly after but would describe himself as Canadian. Nationality is a very personal thing and not something that others can determine for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

123456789 wrote:I was born, and have always lived, in England, but both my parents are Scottish and being English has never been an option for me and when people try to argue why I feel more affinity to Scotland trying to explain that choosing the perennial wooden spoon contenders in rugby and a football team that haven't qualified for anything other than a slap since 1998 was not a conscious choice is always difficult.

That's why I always struggle with the eligibility issue, no one is entirely sure except the individual, and if they choose Scotland they probably wouldn't be able to explain it. I can honestly say that if Stuart Lancaster called me tomorrow I'd turn him down in an instant. Having said that I have a friend who was born in Canada to English parents from an English family and moved to England shortly after but would describe himself as Canadian. Nationality is a very personal thing and not something that others can determine for you.

Very good post. Simply stating simple facts. You can't be but what you are, and what you are is so deep within you that nobody else has a right to an opinion on it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:33 pm

I also think it's very obvious who plays for Scotland because they are passionate about "being Scottish" and those who play to "test themselves at the highest level" once they pull on the shirt. Tim Visser has always been a challenging one for me ever since he said he felt Dutch but their national team weren't good enough for him and that he'd only play for them if it looked like he wouldn't get picked for Scotland whereas someone like Sean Lamont who has about half as much talent throws himself into tackles that Visser would avoid like the plague, he is someone who isn't a legend and never in contention for the Lions but deserves every single one of his caps because he is the only Scotland player, aside from Mossy, over the last 10 years who has been hasn't taken a step back. In all honesty the man should have retired at the end of the last world cup he can't pass, he can't step and mobility scooters have better acceleration but he puts a decent shift wherever he's asked to play and the fact he managed to outplay several All Blacks at his age with his level of ability is a minor miracle in itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

TJ wrote:Otyher way journey for me.  Born in the west country, moved to Scotland aged 9. (45 years ago)  I do not call myself a scot but supporting the Scotland team is in my heart.  I really annoys me sometimes - I could have been a bath and England supporter and won a few things - but instead its Scotland and Edinburgh for me and a string of defeats.  You cannot change what is in your heart

Jeezo TJ, looks like you're the old bastard of the group now that Asbo is gone!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
TJ wrote:Otyher way journey for me.  Born in the west country, moved to Scotland aged 9. (45 years ago)  I do not call myself a scot but supporting the Scotland team is in my heart.  I really annoys me sometimes - I could have been a bath and England supporter and won a few things - but instead its Scotland and Edinburgh for me and a string of defeats.  You cannot change what is in your heart

When did Asbo leave?

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

After the referendum. 21st shiz too.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

Oh really, why's that?

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

Because they were yes supporters and they thought everyone else on here was in the no camp

A shame as this is meant to be a rugby forum. You only need to read the comment on the Scotsman rugby section to know that the fall out of the referendum still goes on and probably will for some time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

Asbo didn't say, just that he wasn't coming back. He fought a passionate argument during the referendum debate and I think he felt it was best just to move on.

21st had a bit of a rant and said he was never coming back, and he never did!

Both are certainly missed, for entirely different reasons of course.....!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:06 pm

Just read their last posts, hopefully Asbo will be back soon as he had some insightful points of view on rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:09 pm

It is a shame, particularly as the referendum thread on here was a very civilised debate and at times very informative, even if no one on it ever changed their views.

When you see some of the vitriol that is put in the direction of the Scottish internationals who came out in favour of the no camp, it makes you very sad really

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm

He's very active on Twitter if anyone wants to get in touch.

Best to ask someone else on here by PM.

Glove, bru or Radge might be able to help

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:12 pm

In all honesty I think that even if Cameron offers the world the way the referendum ended up Scotland has lost more from it than we could ever have gained.

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

Referendum chat Run

Regarding nationality, I was born in Inverness to English parents (a la Tom Heathcote) but then stayed in the area. I have never felt anything other than Scottish, despite a home counties accent... Repeatedly had to explain that despite having English parents and an English accent I am certainly Scottish.

I know others with a very similar background and upbringing who identify as English and would treat their place of birth as a mere accident of circumstance!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:27 pm

highland_scot wrote:Referendum chat Run

Regarding nationality, I was born in Inverness to English parents (a la Tom Heathcote) but then stayed in the area. I have never felt anything other than Scottish, despite a home counties accent... Repeatedly had to explain that despite having English parents and an English accent I am certainly Scottish.

I know others with a very similar background and upbringing who identify as English and would treat their place of birth as a mere accident of circumstance!

I mortally offended my boss one time by wrongly assuming he was English - he was born in Inverness to English parents and went to some international school, but sounds as English as you can get!

Luckily he didn't sack me...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 26 Nov 2014, 9:47 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

No. I'm the old bastard and don't you forget it.warning It's been a strange week for me ; on Saturday I played what I am promising myself will be my last game of rugby (very mixed emotions) and last night was spent at an early retirement seminar. I've got a feeling Saturday may be spent quoting Charles Bukowski and drinking whisky.furious

Bru, you are as prescient as ever: Bigson is Scottish to the very core of his being, Princess Daughter has no concept of her national identity at all and young Pipetto would play rugby for Scotland but footie for Engerland, "cause I want to win something".

As for the passing of the Anti Social one and ASBO... these boards are a lot less well- informed and a lot less funny. Group dynamics are always an intangible beastie but both of those guys contributed a lot to the general merriment and there is a different feel to the place without them. I have said it before...if you ever get the chance to watch a game in their company do it. You may not remember too much about it but you'll enjoy trying to remember ( once the bruises have gone down).

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:12 pm

jimbopip wrote:As for the passing of the Anti Social one and ASBO... these boards are a lot less well- informed and a lot less funny. Group dynamics are always an intangible beastie but both of those guys contributed a lot to the general merriment and there is a different feel to the place without them. I have said it before...if you ever get the chance to watch a game in their company do it. You may not remember too much about it but you'll enjoy trying to remember ( once the bruises have gone down).
Oh yes, so true. I'm just getting the orange radiation warning paint out of my hair, and that scar on my left bum-cheek is fading in time. It'll still show up on holiday, but I'm sure I can make up an acceptable explanation that doesn't involve a stool and a poorly-placed bottle of Tennent's.*

Never actually met Asbo, but enjoyed some lovely and lively discussions on here and latterly on Twitter (click the link on the right hand side. Yes, the one that says 'Twitter'. Well done son, you'll go far.). It's fair to say we never saw eye-to-eye on IndyRef, but if everyone had been able to put their views across with the same level of respect and fairness, mixed with real passion (speaking about both sides here) the whole process wouldn't have been as painful a memory as it currently is.

As for Schiz, is it possible when meeting someone to be both surprised and yet totally unsurprised? Yes, he's a slightly cuckoo, but I can't point any fingers in that regard, and he's uncompromising in his views, which is his right. And yet at the same time, he's just an utterly awesome, genuine and brilliant guy. I haven't even mentioned his good wife yet. She's a legend.

*Only joking. Socialising with Jimbo and Schitz probably won't result in permanent injury.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

Me too - only two small differences. I moved from Bath aged 9 some 49 years ago; and I'm a Glasgow supporter!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

There are actually quite a few of us over 50's on here!

Well with age comes wisdom so they say!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next