The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N lookahead

+54
A Simply Mesmeric Try
cp10
The Saint
AB1990
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
justified sinner
teh_Dingmeister
Rugby Fan
EST
bsando
maestegmafia
Gwlad
Welly
lostinwales
Prothero
beshocked
bluestonevedder
RuggerRadge2611
bedfordwelsh
demosthenes
jimbopip
highland_scot
SecretFly
IanBru
The Bachelor
malky1963
Majestic83
blackcanelion
GLove39
Geordie
whocares
reallybored
alive555
Captain_Sensible
LordDowlais
MacKnocked-on
SirBurger
thebandwagonsociety
nickj
Nematode
R!skysports
JonnyEdinburgh
EWT Spoons
Dorothy_Mantooth
Anglobraveheart
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
tigertattie
TJ
BigGee
George Carlin
RDW
58 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 4 Empty Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by RDW Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 4 LogoScotland 6N lookahead - Page 4 Vern_c10

Fixtures

07/02 France V Scotland - 17:00
15/02 Scotland V Wales - 15:00

28/02 Scotland V Italy - 14:30

14/03 England V Scotland - 17:00
21/03 Scotland V Ireland - 14:30

6N standings last 10 years

2014 - 5th, 1 win
2013 - 3rd, 2 wins
2012 - 6th, 0 wins
2011 - 5th, 1 win
2010 - 5th, 1 win
2009 - 5th, 1 win
2008 - 5th, 1 win
2007 - 6th, 1 win
2006 - 3rd, 3 wins
2005 - 5th, 1 win

Squad

FORWARDS: Hugh Blake Erm (Edinburgh Rugby), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Rob Harley, Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (all Glasgow Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch Shocked (Perpignan), Ben Toolis, Hamish Watson (both Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar, (Glasgow Warriors) Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg, Peter Horne (both Glasgow Warriors) Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Tonks, Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby).

Unavailable through injury: Adam Ashe (neck), Chris Fusaro (ankle), Grant Gilchrist (arm), Tyrone Holmes (face), Ruaridh Jackson (knee), Duncan Taylor (hamstring), Duncan Weir (arm).

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 4 Empty Re: Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by RDW Thu 27 Nov 2014, 8:28 am

Tell you what, there seems to be more half bloods on here than born and bred true bloods like myself! Just not good enough. king

Although saying that, my dad was born in England to Geordie parents, so technically I can play for England too.... tomato

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

It’s been quite interesting hearing about folks back stories.  We do cover a wide range of topics on these threads.  I mean this one is about the AI’s and 6 nations look ahead and we’ve  covered where a number of posters were born and their families into the bargain.

I made the mistake of reading an article on facebook about Hardie and Hugh (that sounds like a very posh detective agency) this morning, and some of the comments…oh dear.  I should really have learned by now. There was a lot of confusion about what a ‘project’ player is.  

A lot of the folk posting, seemed to be all in favour or dead against the idea of people coming from other countries to represent Scotland, but I think as we have proved here, it doesn’t really matter that much where you were actually born, or your family situation, it’s individual to that person.  Now I’m not saying that Hardie for example feels massively or even remotely Scottish, but he might.  Without knowing him personally, I don’t think we would ever know (unless he comes out saying "I don't feel Scottish in the slightest")

Also just on Twitter (it was mentioned above), I used it once to welcome Blauuw to the club…. I have never used it since.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Nov 2014, 9:50 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Tell you what, there seems to be more half bloods on here than born and bred true bloods like myself! Just not good enough.  king

Although saying that, my dad was born in England to Geordie parents, so technically I can play for England too.... tomato

Born in Scotland. Both parents Scottish (born Edinburgh and Aberdeen respectively). Four grandparents Scottish. Lived in Scotland until the age of 7, 13-19 and 31-onwards.

The only stain on my record is that Mrs fES is English, but I made sure that BabyfES was born in Scotland.

I did live in England 7-13 and 19-31, so I guess I qualify on residency (and would probably make a better 12 than Farrell), but ASBO would vote "No" before I turned out to represent England rather than Scotland at anything.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

Guys guys guys!!!!!!!

Whats all this nonsense about folk trying to explain why they want to be regarded as Scottish???

Why all the hate for folk born in foreign shores who say they want to be regarded as Scottish???

Look, everyone knows that the people of this planet, in the majority of cases, wish they were Scottish!!!

Barrack Obama would give his presidency to be Scottish!
Hitler only had one ball, but he would have given than to be Scottish!
Ritchie McCaw secretly wishes he was Scottish!
Apparently 1/3 of Americans claim they are Scottish!

Everyone wants to be Scottish! And no wonder! We're all awesome! Yes our sporting teams are normally rank, but this just makes the sucesses all the sweeter! It keeps you feeling alive!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:10 am

Just been looking at the try rate for the current Scottish B3 options, which is quite interesting:

Visser: 0.47 (0.56)
Seymour: 0.46 (0.34)
Hogg: 0.30 (0.24)
Maitland: 0.13 (0.27)
Lamont: 0.13 (??)
Fife: (~0.25)

(=club)

I had been quite happy with our recent intl performance, with a settled B3, but I'm just wondering if Edinburgh get a good run of games (in particular Visser) if VC would look at Visser in place of Maitland?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:12 am

Maitland's try scoring rate is terrible - his first try in his first test, and only scored his 2nd these AIs!

Say what you want about visser's all round game, but he'll certainly score tries!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:29 am

tigertattie wrote:Guys guys guys!!!!!!!

Whats all this nonsense about folk trying to explain why they want to be regarded as Scottish???

Why all the hate for folk born in foreign shores who say they want to be regarded as Scottish???

Look, everyone knows that the people of this planet, in the majority of cases, wish they were Scottish!!!

Everyone wants to be Scottish! And no wonder! We're all awesome! Yes our sporting teams are normally rank, but this just makes the sucesses all the sweeter! It keeps you feeling alive!

Pity then that the Scots themselves didn't want to be Scottish when they were asked about it a few months back Whistle Run

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:31 am

Here we go...

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 4 Facepalm-star-trek-o

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:40 am

SecretFly wrote:

Pity then that the Scots themselves didn't want to be Scottish when they were asked about it a few months back Whistle Run

Some of us did Sad

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:41 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Some of us did Sad

Didn't realise a No vote would mean I could no longer class myself as Scottish... Braveheart

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:48 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Maitland's try scoring rate is terrible - his first try in his first test, and only scored his 2nd these AIs!

Say what you want about visser's all round game, but he'll certainly score tries!

Maitland's all round game is considerably better though, and he makes the right supporting runs, just we have tended to play a game (at least at international level) that involves either not giving the wingers the ball, or giving them rubbish ball.

With any luck this new heads up rugby we're playing could work to his strengths.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:50 am

To be fair, Maitland's try scoring record for Glasgow isn't that great either, and you can hardly say they don't play an attacking, exciting game of rugby...

And don't get FES started again on wingers with an all-round good game that don't score many tries!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:53 am

This is true (about Glasgow's style).

I'd probably still rather have Maitland than Visser though.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

I'm not saying I wouldn't - Visser's form hasn't justified it this year, and Seymour/Hogg have taken over the try scoring mantel - but Maitland will certainly find his place under threat if he carries on with this try scoring form.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm

Yeah, at 42 I suddenly feel young again.

This site is like the fountain of youth

Watching Scotland can be the well of ageing though

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

BTW - who is that in the picture in the OP. It looks like Cotter, but can not be as it has a smile...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:19 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:This is true (about Glasgow's style).

I'd probably still rather have Maitland than Visser though.

Yeh well, there are others,these pair are not even Scottish, why don't you try a Fijian winger ? Whistle

drumroll
Run
Tumbleweed

Sorry

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:24 pm

Do you think so?

I think Maitland is pretty much a certainty for his position.  In my opinion Visser is going to struggle to get into the team against meaningful opposition, even if his form picks up at club level, I would expect Seymour and Maitland to be first choice on the wing.  They offer much more in terms of their all round game (which I realise you recognise) and as long as the team is winning and scoring tries (regardless of who gets them) I can’t see Cotter changing much.

Now I get that when the 6 nations/RWC roll around things might have changed.  We might be struggling to get over the try line and win games and Visser may well get a shot to see if he can change our fortune, and of course there is going to be a level of rotation, but in terms of strongest first 15, Maitland and Seymour would be first choice unless something significant happens to change that, and I think Visser might have to make do with some sub appearances.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

Sorry my last post was in reply to RDW's point, few other posts inbetween.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

Visser can't be over looked as he is still scoring tries even in that Edinburgh team!

Maitland's strike rate is really quite dire!

If Visser is scoring in the Pro 12 and Maitland isn't then you could easily justify Visser taking the spot off maitland!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 12:53 pm

I agree Maitlands scoring record aint that great, but what he brings to the team is a v good rugby brain, great all round technique , good defensively, tracks back , rarely gets turned over, and a very good link man. damn fine player IMHO

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

I was born in Scotland, lived there till I was 22 and then headed to LondonTaahn to make my fortune. I failed so badly in doing that that I took a wrong turning and ended up here in the sandpit.

What I've never understood is people who claim to feel more Scottish whilst living there. I've never felt more Scottish when I'm abroad and clearly different from the locals. And I still get sunburned watching fireworks.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Tell you what, there seems to be more half bloods on here than born and bred true bloods like myself! Just not good enough.  king

Born in Scotland. Both parents Scottish (born Edinburgh and Aberdeen respectively). Four grandparents Scottish. Lived in Scotland until the age of 7, 13-19 and 31-onwards.

The only stain on my record is that Mrs fES is English, but I made sure that BabyfES was born in Scotland.

I did live in England 7-13 and 19-31, so I guess I qualify on residency (and would probably make a better 12 than Farrell), but ASBO would vote "No" before I turned out to represent England rather than Scotland at anything.

Think I'll take the title! Dad born in Motherwell, Mum in Kintore (similar story with Grandparents & greats etc). Yours truly born in Aberdeen where I've served out my 21 years to date. Also ginger, so I'm like 110% Scottish! thumbsup

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

GLove39 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Think I'll take the title! Dad born in Motherwell, Mum in Kintore (similar story with Grandparents & greats etc). Yours truly born in Aberdeen where I've served out my 21 years to date. Also ginger, so I'm like 110% Scottish! thumbsup

Aptly put for an Aberdonian!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 27 Nov 2014, 2:08 pm

I was going to move to Aberdeen.

I was told that you don't live longer, but it sure as hell seems longer.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
GLove39 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Aptly put for an Aberdonian!!

I moved to Aberdeen last year, certainly has felt like I am serving a sentence so far!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:23 pm

On the topic of how Scottish players and people are. I qualify for both Scotland and Poland. Mums side is all Scottish, My Dad is Scottish but his parents came over during WW2 from Poland.
Still resisting the offer to play for Poland in the hope I get a miracle call up to the Scotland squad!! Doh

My girlfriends cousins were born and brought up in England but both their parents are Scottish. The 2 cousins both say they are Scottish and have no feeling of being English at all.
One of them looks like he is going to be a pretty good fly half and is currently in the Scottish Exiles u18s team!

Last edited by Majestic83 on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:25 pm

Majestic83 wrote:On the topic of how Scottish players and people are. I qualify for both Scotland and Poland. Mums side is all Scottish, My Dad is Scottish but his parents came over during WW2 from Poland.
Still resisting the offer to play for Poland in the hope I get a miracle call up to the Scotland squad!! Doh

One of the guys that used to play for my rugby team has got capped by Norway - he has very dodgy links with the country, but managed to get capped anyway!

Fair enough to him like - you're never going to get capped by Scotland, so you might as well go for a rubbish rugby nation and class yourself as an International rugby player!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:26 pm

Facinating fact about Aberdeen:

There are more Aberdonians living in Aberdeen than anywhere else in the world!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:On the topic of how Scottish players and people are. I qualify for both Scotland and Poland. Mums side is all Scottish, My Dad is Scottish but his parents came over during WW2 from Poland.

One of the guys that used to play for my rugby team has got capped by Norway - he has very dodgy links with the country, but managed to get capped anyway!

Fair enough to him like - you're never going to get capped by Scotland, so you might as well go for a rubbish rugby nation and class yourself as an International rugby player!

Think I might have to come the realisation that the full cap is going to elude me and jump ship and play for Poland. Having watched a couple of their games online the standard looked surprisingly decent.
The punch ups resembled something from the 1970s though!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 27 Nov 2014, 4:36 pm

There were 3 brothers from Wales back in 90s (I think) all went to play for Malta through their fathers birth etc etc. They said they knew they were never going to be good emough to get the call from Wales, though in the 90s it wouldn't have been hard to went to play for Malta.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

Thats the side of eligability I don't like!

I have no issue with anyone wanting to play for a country beacuse they have an affinity with the place or a desire to represent that nation. Folk who go play for a nation because they don't think they are good enough or will be good enough to play for "their own nation" really gets on my wick!

There should be an honour in playing for your country! Not just rocking up to play for someone because you won't be good enoguh to play for your first choice nation!

Its also a kick in the teeth/nuts to whomever you are displacing from the national squad that you have signed up for! Also that nation won't get any better by looking at the short sighted fix of getting in players who are not good enough to play for other countries!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 27 Nov 2014, 10:01 pm

Well Tattie, perhaps go easy on Maitland and Strauss!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 28 Nov 2014, 8:57 am

Strauss doesn't count yet boxing
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun 30 Nov 2014, 4:15 pm

Good news for scotland in some adding some quality depth for the full back position is that it looks like Steve MacColl is going to get an extended run in the 15 shirt at Gloucester. Always thought he was a very good player who should have been playing top rugby a couple seasons back.
Rob cook is out for a good few months so maccoll has started the last three games, scored a try against London Irish and looked very good.
Hopefully he keeps it up as in my opinion he is a better player than Tonks and murchie and could challenge stuart hogg which will hopefully mean hogg raises his game even more.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Dec 2014, 8:59 am

Well I think this weekend's AI results have reinforced how tough this years' 6N is going to be for Scotland, and has underlined why I've been saying from the start that we might have improved significantly, but still may have to settle for a win or two (if we're lucky).

Most people agree that our best chance of picking up a 2nd win is to beat Wales - a team who have just beaten a full strength South Africa (2nd best team in the world) and who we haven't beaten since 2006.

People then agree that our most likely chance of a 3rd win is to beat Ireland at home - the 3rd best team in the world, riding high from wins over South Africa and Australia.

Alternatively, the 3rd win is going to come away from home against France - something we haven't done since 1999.

Apologies for labouring this point, but I think 2 wins would be classed as a success for this developing team, as to do that we will have beaten one of the teams mentioned above, which will be a huge achievement and against the odds.

3 wins would simply be the best 6N we have ever had by a long way IMO - even better than 2006 -  and is beyond even our wildest dreams...

Of course we should be aiming to win every game, and I think we have the ability to beat any of the 6N teams on our day, but realistically I think 2 wins would be a very good achievement for a young, inexperienced, developing team.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:22 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well I think this weekend's AI results have reinforced how tough this years' 6N is going to be for Scotland, and has underlined why I've been saying from the start that we might have improved significantly, but still may have to settle for a win or two (if we're lucky).

Most people agree that our best chance of picking up a 2nd win is to beat Wales - a team who have just beaten a full strength South Africa (2nd best team in the world) and who we haven't beaten since 2006.

People then agree that our most likely chance of a 3rd win is to beat Ireland at home - the 3rd best team in the world, riding high from wins over South Africa and Australia.

Alternatively, the 3rd win is going to come away from home against France - something we haven't done since 1999.

Apologies for labouring this point, but I think 2 wins would be classed as a success for this developing team, as to do that we will have beaten one of the teams mentioned above, which will be a huge achievement and against the odds.

3 wins would simply be the best 6N we have ever had by a long way IMO - even better than 2006 -  and is beyond even our wildest dreams...

Of course we should be aiming to win every game, and I think we have the ability to beat any of the 6N teams on our day, but realistically I think 2 wins would be a very good achievement for a young, inexperienced, developing team.

I think 2 wins should be the minimum for Scotland this 6 nations. The gap has really closed between all the teams in the tournament and no one I would say looks head and shoulders above anyone.
Yes Ireland did well beating Australia and South Africa but I wouldn't say either of those 2 teams were anywhere near the imposing teams that they can be, especially South Africa who have been very poor this autumn.
The South African team that played Wales on Saturday was one of the worst performances I have seen in a long time and think Wales were fairly lucky still to get the win as they really didn't show much in attack like we have seen from them in recent years.
I don't think we will go on to win the tournament or anything like that but I don't think Scotland should fear any of the 6 nations teams and have a strong chance against all of them.
Wales are fairly inconsistent at the moment and have a lot of weaknesses. England is definitely a game Scotland can win. The English pack does not look the most dominant these days and if they go with their current back line isn't the hardest to defend against.
I think this 6 nations will be a very open tournament and one I think Scotland will surprise a few including some of their own supporters. Key players that we can afford to loose to the 6 nations injury curse is Finn Russell, Alex Dunbar, Jonny Gray and Rob Harley. For me they are the 4 key players currently!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 01 Dec 2014, 9:49 am

Oh how thee fears them

Ireland - the best performing team at the moment - but playing fast off loading game might nullify their tactics - a tough win, but if the stars align....

England - if we let it be pack orientated - we will lose - so far they have nothing in the backs - and I think have the poorest set of backs (Except Italy) going forward. Keeping it moving, play our game then we have a chance - although their defence is very good - so we will have to be clever

Wales - Bish bash bosh - but that has been enough for us in the past - often we lose it for them, so if we click - nothing to fear - however - how often do we click?

France - a flaming pancake in treacle and mud - yes, who know what the mad men of rugby will produce

Italy - we must play our way and not slip to a arm wrestle - we should be winning this

So, all in all - Grand slam Scotland anything less is failure....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:07 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Well I think this weekend's AI results have reinforced how tough this years' 6N is going to be for Scotland, and has underlined why I've been saying from the start that we might have improved significantly, but still may have to settle for a win or two (if we're lucky).

I think 2 wins should be the minimum for Scotland this 6 nations. The gap has really closed between all the teams in the tournament and no one I would say looks head and shoulders above anyone.
Yes Ireland did well beating Australia and South Africa but I wouldn't say either of those 2 teams were anywhere near the imposing teams that they can be, especially South Africa who have been very poor this autumn.
The South African team that played Wales on Saturday was one of the worst performances I have seen in a long time and think Wales were fairly lucky still to get the win as they really didn't show much in attack like we have seen from them in recent years.
I don't think we will go on to win the tournament or anything like that but I don't think Scotland should fear any of the 6 nations teams and have a strong chance against all of them.
Wales are fairly inconsistent at the moment and have a lot of weaknesses. England is definitely a game Scotland can win. The English pack does not look the most dominant these days and if they go with their current back line isn't the hardest to defend against.
I think this 6 nations will be a very open tournament and one I think Scotland will surprise a few including some of their own supporters. Key players that we can afford to loose to the 6 nations injury curse is Finn Russell, Alex Dunbar, Jonny Gray and Rob Harley. For me they are the 4 key players currently!

It's a fair point that the SH teams aren't as strong at this time of the year as they will be at the world cup (especially after their 4th game in a row - probably the reason NZ declined a 4th fixture against Ireland), but it is still a good win for Wales.

Disagree with you on the English pack though - they look pretty monstrous to me. As you say though, the English backline is far from threatening (until Manu and Burrell come back anyway) so if you can compete up front you stand a chance.

Likewise with Wales, they looked blunt in attack so if you can compete with their physicality again you'll stand a chance.

Easy eh...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:15 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

It's a fair point that the SH teams aren't as strong at this time of the year as they will be at the world cup (especially after their 4th game in a row - probably the reason NZ declined a 4th fixture against Ireland), but it is still a good win for Wales.

Disagree with you on the English pack though - they look pretty monstrous to me.  As you say though, the English backline is far from threatening (until Manu and Burrell come back anyway) so if you can compete up front you stand a chance.

Likewise with Wales, they looked blunt in attack so if you can compete with their physicality again you'll stand a chance.

Easy eh...

Agreed the English pack is still not bad but compared to the packs they have had in recent years I don't think it is one to fear. In the past when Scotland have gone down to Twickenham I've feared a real hiding from their pack but looking at the 2 current packs I think the Scottish one can more than compete with the English pack.
Man for man I don't see any of the English forwards being head and shoulders above the Scottish pack and as a unit the Scottish pack have come on leaps and bounds with Vern. I expect them to get even better as well with Vern having more time with them in training etc.

Certainly going to be an interesting 6 nations to see how teams operate during it whether they compete as normal or if some use it as final test to try new things and players before the world cup. I'd hope Vern goes with his settled team and let the players really gel!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

Interesting stat I've just seen - Ford's lineout success was 32 out of 33 (97%) - when you consider that the one that was messed up was the one against Tonga when Dunbar was in the lineout for some reason, and it probably wasn't even Ford's fault for messing up, that's incredible stats!

Dickinson and Ford made Gustcott's team of the AIs for the home nations...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:29 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

Disagree with you on the English pack though - they look pretty monstrous to me.  As you say though, the English backline is far from threatening (until Manu and Burrell come back anyway) so if you can compete up front you stand a chance.

Easy eh...

Agreed the English pack is still not bad but compared to the packs they have had in recent years I don't think it is one to fear. In the past when Scotland have gone down to Twickenham I've feared a real hiding from their pack but looking at the 2 current packs I think the Scottish one can more than compete with the English pack.
Man for man I don't see any of the English forwards being head and shoulders above the Scottish pack and as a unit the Scottish pack have come on leaps and bounds with Vern. I expect them to get even better as well with Vern having more time with them in training etc.

Certainly going to be an interesting 6 nations to see how teams operate during it whether they compete as normal or if some use it as final test to try new things and players before the world cup. I'd hope Vern goes with his settled team and let the players really gel!

Barring some unforeseen miracle, I expect England's forwards to be well on top in the scrums and the driving mauls. They have also developed a very fast, accurate approach to the breakdown, so winning ball off them there will be difficult. Also, their tight-five depth is insanely good, whereas ours is patchy. Winning at Twickers will be very, very difficult next year.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 01 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Interesting stat I've just seen - Ford's lineout success was 32 out of 33 (97%) - when you consider that the one that was messed up was the one against Tonga when Dunbar was in the lineout for some reason, and it probably wasn't even Ford's fault for messing up, that's incredible stats!

Dickinson and Ford made Gustcott's team of the AIs for the home nations...

I saw that, but then there were also statistic and stuff in the article which suggests to me that Guscott didn't actually write it. All evidence of his Beeb career thus far suggests that including a single piece of research in an article is beyond him.

If he did write it then that probably puts an end to Fordy's comeback. No player can withstand praise from Guscott. It's akin to Ed Miliband saying that something is a good idea.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Dec 2014, 2:01 pm

Dickinson was a solid performer for Scotland, but I'm sure there were better performers.

Tough on Gray and Harley not to be mentioned, but no real issues with those that were picked (I'd have taken Gray over AWJ though).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 12:46 pm

It has been a hectic week! So apologies for the late reply. Mrs Radge decided to get her jaw broken the day before my 30th birthday and spent the bulk of last week in ICU at the Victoria Hospital.

However I was relieved to see Scotland come on in the 2nd half against Tonga. We looked a bit turged in the first half.

I think the summary should consist of a stable pack with Laidlaw and Russell cementing themselves into halfback berths. Cusiter IMO didn't add much when he came on and TBH I would prefer Pyrgos on the bench as cover.

I'll take back some of the things I said about Sean Lamont. He has done pretty well over the AI's. He is by no means a 1st choice for me but showed he can still do a job when required.

Finally Ross Ford made Guscott's team of the AI's for the home nations. I have apologized a lot for him in the past and equally dished out some properly warranted criticism. However the lineout was faultless for the whole series. We didn't lose one lineout and all the credit has to be placed at Ford and the Gray Bros' respective doors.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:49 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:It has been a hectic week! So apologies for the late reply. Mrs Radge decided to get her jaw broken the day before my 30th birthday and spent the bulk of last week in ICU at the Victoria Hospital.

That was very selfish of her! Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:53 pm

you're no Jokin'! What a bloody shambles last week was!

I hate seeing the 30 symbol over there ---->

If I were good enough to be playing for Scotland I wouldn't be considering myself as "the future" looking towards the RWC.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Dec 2014, 2:59 pm

30 is still young for a prop!

Probably best you stay away from the young whipper-snappers on here though for the next few days (Glove).

Nothing more depressing than being at rugby training and being skinned by wee bawbags who were born in the mid-90s.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 02 Dec 2014, 8:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:30 is still young for a prop!

Probably best you stay away from the young whipper-snappers on here though for the next few days (Glove).

Nothing more depressing than being at rugby training and being skinned by wee bawbags who were born in the mid-90s.

Fixed that for you. And everyone else who follows the Alan Jacobson fitness programme.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:53 pm

I actually miss rugby training!

Was the only time I used to get my hands on the ball!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next