The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N lookahead

+54
A Simply Mesmeric Try
cp10
The Saint
AB1990
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
justified sinner
teh_Dingmeister
Rugby Fan
EST
bsando
maestegmafia
Gwlad
Welly
lostinwales
Prothero
beshocked
bluestonevedder
RuggerRadge2611
bedfordwelsh
demosthenes
jimbopip
highland_scot
SecretFly
IanBru
The Bachelor
malky1963
Majestic83
blackcanelion
GLove39
Geordie
whocares
reallybored
alive555
Captain_Sensible
LordDowlais
MacKnocked-on
SirBurger
thebandwagonsociety
nickj
Nematode
R!skysports
JonnyEdinburgh
EWT Spoons
Dorothy_Mantooth
Anglobraveheart
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
tigertattie
TJ
BigGee
George Carlin
RDW
58 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 5 Empty Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by RDW Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 5 LogoScotland 6N lookahead - Page 5 Vern_c10

Fixtures

07/02 France V Scotland - 17:00
15/02 Scotland V Wales - 15:00

28/02 Scotland V Italy - 14:30

14/03 England V Scotland - 17:00
21/03 Scotland V Ireland - 14:30

6N standings last 10 years

2014 - 5th, 1 win
2013 - 3rd, 2 wins
2012 - 6th, 0 wins
2011 - 5th, 1 win
2010 - 5th, 1 win
2009 - 5th, 1 win
2008 - 5th, 1 win
2007 - 6th, 1 win
2006 - 3rd, 3 wins
2005 - 5th, 1 win

Squad

FORWARDS: Hugh Blake Erm (Edinburgh Rugby), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Rob Harley, Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (all Glasgow Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch Shocked (Perpignan), Ben Toolis, Hamish Watson (both Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar, (Glasgow Warriors) Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg, Peter Horne (both Glasgow Warriors) Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Tonks, Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby).

Unavailable through injury: Adam Ashe (neck), Chris Fusaro (ankle), Grant Gilchrist (arm), Tyrone Holmes (face), Ruaridh Jackson (knee), Duncan Taylor (hamstring), Duncan Weir (arm).

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 5 Empty Re: Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by George Carlin Thu 04 Dec 2014, 7:56 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:30 is still young for a prop!

Probably best you stay away from the young whipper-snappers on here though for the next few days (Glove).

Nothing more depressing than being at rugby training and being skinned by wee bawbags who were born in the mid-90s.
Laugh That's why I'll probably never learn to ski now. I cannot be fashed with the foetuses in designer gear whipping past me.

Just a quick note about expectations for 2015.

Isn't there a big difference between this year and previous years? I mean a real, justifiable, objective difference? In previous years, we would hope for the team to come together and perform well, but in actual fact, this hope was based on nothing more than fresh air.

We hoped that our backs would miraculously grow pace, vision, a pass and the ability to run straight in time for the 6Nations, but deep down we all knew that they were at the top of their own skills bell curve and they could not improve any more. We knew that players were being chosen out of position, but yet we hoped that Johnson and his squadron of muppets had seen something that we didn't and all of that time watching players pad about in training yielded secret insight invisible to the rest of us. But we knew that it was unlikely. We saw that Glasgow and Edinburgh had the occasional good game and so we hoped that would make the team competitive. But in the same breath we watched our club sides never top the league and get spanked with their breeks round their ankles in European competitions whilst the other home nations snickered.

In short, we knew that deep down there was no actual evidence that we would be more competitive. Our core feeling that we deserved a good tournament all too easily shimmied into the train of thought that it therefore would happen. A foundation built on straw and dog poo.

But that's not where we are now. There is a little concrete under these foundations. The core of the team is a Glasgow side that has a track record of solid performance domestically and now seems to have lost its paralysis of not being able to translate that to Europe. We have a 10 who can actually play and seems to have a broad skillset. We have backs who can actually score and a midfield which is actually creative. And not just by Scottish standards. By any standards.

The only question remaining is how much other teams have also incrementally improved. But the fear of being humiliated has now gone for me. The match against Wales in 2010 where we coughed up a massive lead, made ridiculous mistakes and gave that pocked sized little turd Shane Williams the chance to murder us and then act casual about it afterwards was rock bottom for me. I still think about that result.

With this group of players, I genuinely don't think that we will ever see complete capitulation like that again.

There. I went there. More coffee now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 04 Dec 2014, 8:43 am

George Carlin wrote:

IWe have a 10 who can actually play and seems to have a broad skillset.

And great dance moves... Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 5 3559488474

Very good point there GC - our hopes for a better year have all just been based on hope, with very little evidence to back things up. We have been here before though - Glasgow have been performing well for the last 4 seasons really, and although Edinburgh have generally been crap, we did have the HK run that (wrongly) suggested the team was capable of better things.

That still yielded bugger all for Scotland though.

That's the big jump - can our success at club level yield something at International? I still go back to the point that yes we have got better, but that might just be good enough to stand still and compete. We need a real step change in ability and performance to regularly end up with 3/4 wins in the 6N, and I still think we're a long way from that just now.

We've still got a young team though so there is every chance it might happen, sometime.... Fingers Crossed

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 10:35 am

George Carlin wrote:
With this group of players, I genuinely don't think that we will ever see complete capitulation like that again.

Did you see the last 10 minutes of the Argentina game? That kind of scared the keech out of me. You hit the nail on the head "this group of players" I think you should have said "the 1st XV" when the substitutions came on we seemed devoid of attacking power and leaked a dose of tries.

Our depth is the best it has ever been but we are a couple of injuries away from disaster.

Dunbar, Russel, Ashe, Cowan, Harley and J Gray I pray can make it to the 6N unscathed.

Also I really hope Scott-12 can get some game time at 12 under that buffoon Solomons at Edinburgh.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:04 pm

Tighthead is the one position we seem to be quite weak. Who do we have ?

Murray ? getting on a bit
Low ? not getting much gametime
Cross ? ditto
Cusack ? injured
Welsh ?

who is our best th prop im not sure !

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:11 pm

It's still the centres that worry me!

Matt Scott (12) is not only an injury magnet, he's going to be playing at 13 under solomons cause Strauss has naughty pictures of Solomons or something that results in him being the automatic pick at 12!

To me, Dunbar is a 13 but is playing at 12 at the weeg but hopefully Horne can go back into 12 there and Dunny moves back to 13

With his holiness out injured for some time, without Scott (12) and Dunbar, we are back to bare bones in the mid-field

We also need to wrap Finn Russell in cotton wool (but make sure he still gets to play) as we've already seen what a destructive force Weir is to the team when he gets rolled off the bench!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:15 pm

alive555 wrote:Tighthead is the one position we seem to be quite weak. Who do we have ?

Cross ?  ditto
Cusack ? injured
Welsh ?

Low seems to be getting more game time at Exeter, started their last few games now and was part of a very impressive pack and scrum that destroyed Saracens at the weekend. Not sure who the loosehead was for Saracens but Low gave him a fair going over. That's the thing with low is he can be outstanding one week and very poor the next. Hopefully Exeter get him playing consistently week in week out.

Cross also seems to be getting more game time at London Irish, seemed to have a bit of a mixed game against Gloucester but the coaches at Irish seem to be glad Cross is back from the autumn tests and see him as playing a big part for Irish.

Welsh got mom against the Dragons and looked very good, dominated their scrum and looked mobile around the park. Expect him to get better with more game time. Hopefully he remains injury free and gets a real crack at the tight head jersey as he certainly could be very impressive.

Not sure if there are any other SQ tightheads playing in England or France? I know Gilding is at London Welsh but he has to go down as one of the worst players ever to play rugby. Dave young is at the Dragons I think but not sure how he is getting on, thought he was a good solid tight head when he was at Edinburgh and certainly seemed to get rave reviews from his time in Italy.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:19 pm

tigertattie wrote:It's still the centres that worry me!

Matt Scott (12) is not only an injury magnet, he's going to be playing at 13 under solomons cause Strauss has naughty pictures of Solomons or something that results in him being the automatic pick at 12!

To me, Dunbar is a 13 but is playing at 12 at the weeg but hopefully Horne can go back into 12 there and Dunny moves back to 13

With his holiness out injured for some time, without Scott (12) and Dunbar, we are back to bare bones in the mid-field

We also need to wrap Finn Russell in cotton wool (but make sure he still gets to play) as we've already seen what a destructive force Weir is to the team when he gets rolled off the bench!

Certainly Solomons isn't helping the Scottish cause by playing Strauss and Beard for the majority of games. Cant believe Chris Dean hasn't been given game time yet when these two have had so many opportunities and failed to impress. A couple mates played against Dean at the weekend and said he was outstanding and was a real threat with the ball in hand bashing it up the middle but also varied his game well and really used his pace to get outside his opposite number.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:20 pm

Auld and Dean certainly look very promising - this game against LW would be ideal to play them, but will never happen!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:35 pm

yes youre right. damn shame ansboro got injured we could do with him now

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 04 Dec 2014, 12:58 pm

alive555 wrote:

Yes Ansbro was a cracking player at 13 or 12. Real shame he got that injury as he would have won a lot of caps for Scotland.
Scotland have been unfortunate over the last few years with players with lots of potential having to retire fairly early on into their careers. Tom Phillips is another one that springs to mind.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 04 Dec 2014, 2:03 pm

Just seen the news that Rennie is out for a long time with a neural issue. 

Another hiccup in his young, blighted career. 

He's one of my favourite opensides, but in light of another long-term injury, as well as the emergence of Cowan and having Barclay and Fusaro in the wings, do you reckon this could spell the end for him?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 08 Dec 2014, 9:59 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
alive555 wrote:

Yes Ansbro was a cracking player at 13 or 12. Real shame he got that injury as he would have won a lot of caps for Scotland.
Scotland have been unfortunate over the last few years with players with lots of potential having to retire fairly early on into their careers. Tom Phillips is another one that springs to mind.

Tom Philip could have prevented us from suffering Henderson, Morrison or Di Rollo. Huge shame.

Ansbro was always a 13 for me but he had pace and balance plus he ran good lines. Another we could have used when De Luca was off form (which he always was for Scotland).

Simon Taylor's career could have been much more influential. Thom Evans and Rory Lamont as well. We are a small nation and injuries to top players hit us hard.

I suspect this may be it for Rennie. Seriously hope not.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 09 Dec 2014, 2:21 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
alive555 wrote:Tighthead is the one position we seem to be quite weak. Who do we have ?

Cross ?  ditto
Cusack ? injured
Welsh ?

Low seems to be getting more game time at Exeter, started their last few games now and was part of a very impressive pack and scrum that destroyed Saracens at the weekend. Not sure who the loosehead was for Saracens but Low gave him a fair going over. That's the thing with low is he can be outstanding one week and very poor the next. Hopefully Exeter get him playing consistently week in week out.

Cross also seems to be getting more game time at London Irish, seemed to have a bit of a mixed game against Gloucester but the coaches at Irish seem to be glad Cross is back from the autumn tests and see him as playing a big part for Irish.

Welsh got mom against the Dragons and looked very good, dominated their scrum and looked mobile around the park. Expect him to get better with more game time. Hopefully he remains injury free and gets a real crack at the tight head jersey as he certainly could be very impressive.

Not sure if there are any other SQ tightheads playing in England or France? I know Gilding is at London Welsh but he has to go down as one of the worst players ever to play rugby. Dave young is at the Dragons I think but not sure how he is getting on, thought he was a good solid tight head when he was at Edinburgh and certainly seemed to get rave reviews from his time in Italy.

The Saracens loosehead you are referring to was Rhys Gill - I affectionally call him the penalty machine - he's realistically only 3rd choice LH.

Giving him a going over isn't hard. Can only get the upper hand over what's in front of you but it was a pack missing 5 starters.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Dec 2014, 3:26 pm

Looks like Geoff Cross has managed to hold down a starting spot for LI since returning for the AIs - good to see him getting regular gametime now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 12 Dec 2014, 3:53 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Looks like Geoff Cross has managed to hold down a starting spot for LI since returning for the AIs - good to see him getting regular gametime now.

Yes that can only be a good thing, but I am still not sure that either he, nor LI are playing very well. The game I watched, he was taken to the cleaners.

I would have him as our third choice TH at the moment, behind Murray and Welsh (not in any particular order), with Nel coming up fast on the rails as his qualification approaches. Some signs of life from Low down in the south west as well, just when we were about to give up on him. Our situation at TH is suddenly much improved from the start of the AI's!

We still have the sleeping giant that is Mike Cussack to fully awaken as well, now that would be a scary prospect!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 12 Dec 2014, 4:00 pm

I've been pleasantly surprised with Welsh since he's come back - he's looking fit and strong just now.

Hopefully him and Murray can stay that way up until the 6N, with Cross/Low covering the Sunday game against Wales (we need our best scrummagers for that after what happened at Murrayfield the last time Rolling Eyes ).

p.s. we seem to have the forum to ourselves just now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:22 pm

Anyone trying to get Ireland game tickets? Been in the queue since 12... Guessing a fair number of people went on early and got away with it!

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 15 Dec 2014, 1:02 pm

I get mine through my rugby club, so nice and easy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Dec 2014, 4:12 pm

I'm giving the 6 Nations a miss this season, saving my chips for the World Cup.

I think tighthead is wide open to be honest. Moray Low is back playing regular rugby, Cross is playing regularly if not particularly well, Euan Murray is useful apart from on Sundays, Nel is chugging along at Edinburgh and as always showing up well in the loose and Welsh is coming back strongly.

Still not a bad set of options given where we've been at times in the past. What side of the scrum does Zander Fagerson play? I can hear the ghost of ASBO declaring that he should be playing for Scotland by now!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 03 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm

Well this was the Scotland squad for the Autumn Internationals:

FORWARDS: Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors), Johnnie Beattie (Castres), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (both Edinburgh Rugby), Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors), Roddy Grant (Edinburgh), Grant Gilchrist CAPTAIN (Edinburgh Rugby), Robert Harley, Jonny Gray (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), Kieran Low (London Irish) Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby), Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (both Glasgow Warriors) Alasdair Strokosch (USA Perpignan) David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS: Mark Bennett INJ(Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) Chris Cusiter (Sale Sharks) Sam H-C (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Dougie Fife, Tom Heathcote (both Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester), Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Maitland, Finn Russell, Henry Pyrgos, Tommy Seymour (all Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors).

Invited to train with the squad: Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby).

I've added a few names into the squad that might be seen in the 6N.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jan 2015, 12:58 pm

Front row

Dickinson and Ford nailed on starters IMO - all the other options are a distinct second place just now. Grant has been a shadow of his former self since the Lions tour, Reid hasn't kicked on as hoped. At Hooker Brown has had a bit more gametime but his lineout performance last night wasn't great. McArthur has played well but is just too small for International level IMO.

Realy problems at tighthead just now, with both Murray and Welsh dominated by Dickinson. Cross is getting more gametime, but is he the option for Scotland? We really need a tighthead to nail down his place over the coming weeks, as we'll be up against some of the best looseheads in the world.

Dickinson, Ford, ?

2nd row

No real change here, with the Gray brothers surely starting. Hopefully Gilchrist will be back soon and showing some form - I think he'd be an excellent sub option. Swinson isn't getting played, but Ben Toolis has been excellent for Edinburgh. I'd have him as Scotland's 4th choice lock just now.

Has Hamilton been playing much for Saracans?

Gray, Gray

Back row

Harley's injury is a real pain - he's the first name on the teamsheet just now IMO. The problem is, who replaces him for the first few games? Denton at 6 will have an unbalanced bac row, and Wilson is no International blindisde. Kelly Brown is the very obvious choice, but we all know the history there.

I suspect Cowan will be kept at 7, but Roddy Grant is once again battering down the door for selection - once again I can see it being left firmly shut though.

How has Barclay been at Scarlets recently?

I suspect the 8 shirt will be a straight shootout between Denton and Beattie - Denton had a barnstorming game last night.

Brown, Cowan, Denton

Halfbacks

Again no change here - Laidlaw and Russell. The latter has shown some real flikiness recently, but give him a decent, controlling 9 and he should be a lot better. Tonks has steadily grown into the 10 shirt, but he's certainly nowhere near Scotland level yet.

Could do with Weir getting some gametime over the next few weeks.

Laidlaw, Russell

Centre

Scott, Dunbar

Simples.

Scott had a much better game last night (albeit a few wrong options) and hopefully he can get through the next 3 games unscathed and will be in peak shape for the 6N. Dunbar hasn't been on top form recently, but hopefully he'll be fine come 6N time.

Back 3

Seymour is the only play from the AIs to keep some form, with Maitland and Hogg largely anonymous recently. Visser certainly stood out last night.

Visser, Seymour, Hogg

Still a long way to go though, and that could all change!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 03 Jan 2015, 1:08 pm

Toolis and S H-C are not going to feature in this world cup baring a raft of injuries. They are ones for the future though, Hamilton and Cusiter will certainly call it a day internationally after this world cup. Lets get them capped for the A team this time around and carry on developing them. Neither is ready to step up just yet, but they are getting there.

Denton and Visser have definitely put themselves back in the frame. I personally would pick Denton over Beattie if both on form, but I would likely pick JS over both of them.

I really do hope that both Bennett and Harley will be back for the 6N. Glasgow are missing them and Scotland will as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jan 2015, 1:23 pm

I see no point in keeping Hamilton going to the world cup when we have better, more athletic options available.

He doesn't fit into Cotter's style either!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 03 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I see no point in keeping Hamilton going to the world cup when we have better, more athletic options available.

He doesn't fit into Cotter's style either!

He is likely to remain in the wider squad, but baring injuries will be lucky to make the final cut.

Gray
Gray
Gilchrist
Swinson
Low
Hamilton

are probably the current pecking order in the second row, with Toolis coming up fast on the blind side. Probably not fast enough for this world cup though but you would not completely rule it out. It will be interesting to see who Soloman's picks once Gilchrist is fit again, which hopefully will not be that far away.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:13 pm

Surely low is even less of a contender at 2nd row just now? He doesn't play there much at London Irish and hasn't done anything of note when he's played for Scotland.

On current form/ability Toolis certainly above him!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 03 Jan 2015, 4:08 pm

I suppose we need to see how both Glasgow and Edinburgh kick on.

On Edinburgh's part, with Gilchrist coming back and Nel hitting some form, they have a great pack shaping up. Add to that Hamish Watson and Cornell du Preez next season and I'd say Edinburgh have a pack to rival any in the Pro 12.

The first Visser try, with the vision of Tonks, reminds me of the attacking Edinburgh of a few years back also. If Scott can get game time at 12, and maybe Fife at 13, with Hoyland coming in, this young Edinburgh team could possibly get into the top 6.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Sun 04 Jan 2015, 9:25 pm

wee bit worried about Glasgow now, they have looked a little flat the last couple of times i've seen them and with the 6 nations on our doorstep are they going to be able to maintain their challenge?
As for young players coming through at Edinburgh ill believe it when i see it, Expect another bus load of southern Hemisphere guys to be arriving in the summer. Sad (not a Soloman's fan).

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 04 Jan 2015, 9:35 pm

Welcome to the forum prothero!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Prothero Sun 04 Jan 2015, 9:49 pm

cheers ta Very Happy
(long term reader first time poster)

dont suppose someone tell me why i have a random rower as a picture? its just appeared?

Last edited by Prothero on Sun 04 Jan 2015, 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

Prothero

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 04 Jan 2015, 9:58 pm

Prothero wrote:cheers ta Very Happy
(long term reader first time poster)

dont suppose someone tell me why i have a random rower as a picture? its just appeared?

No idea, but I've removed it for you! Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 04 Jan 2015, 10:32 pm

Welcome to the boards, Prothero. There are a fair few lunatics here but conversely, a large number of Glasgow fans too.

What I don't have much visibility of is how our exiles are getting on. Laidlaw is clearly kicking goals and starting weekly for the Cherries but I couldn't tell you how Cusiter is doing.

Duncan Taylor and McCall are getting regular gametime in their respective blacklines but how are each actually playing?

Ditto Cowan and the mighty Kellybrows (who is the only blindside we have comparable to Harley at the moment). Harley is a terrible player to lose - he has effectively become indispensable.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 Jan 2015, 8:28 am

Cusiter was dropped to the bench for Sale recently, but have no idea how he is getting on.

As you say - Laidlaw is starting week-in-week out, and is kicking his goals!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:40 pm

Highlights from Gloucester's win over the Chiefs - skip to 1:15 to see Laidlaw at his tenacious best!

http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=3970037235001&videotitle=Highlights%3A%20Exeter%20Chiefs%2025-26%20Gloucester&videoimage=2503979514001%2F201501%2F3037%2F2503979514001_3970092359001_glos1.jpg

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:41 pm

Happy new year guys, hope everyone had a good one.

I have been bored at work today so have started up a new topic about the depth of professional players Scotland has available to them.

https://www.606v2.com/t57127-scottish-professional-players#2880955

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Highlights from Gloucester's win over the Chiefs - skip to 1:15 to see Laidlaw at his tenacious best!

http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=3970037235001&videotitle=Highlights%3A%20Exeter%20Chiefs%2025-26%20Gloucester&videoimage=2503979514001%2F201501%2F3037%2F2503979514001_3970092359001_glos1.jpg

There goes the watching of my recorded game then :-(

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 05 Jan 2015, 1:30 pm

Riskysports wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Highlights from Gloucester's win over the Chiefs - skip to 1:15 to see Laidlaw at his tenacious best!

Still worth a watch - BT Sports highlights are rubbish, it didn't even show the missed conversion that cost the Chiefs the game (sorry if I've spoilt it more for you!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 06 Jan 2015, 12:42 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Riskysports wrote:

Still worth a watch - BT Sports highlights are rubbish, it didn't even show the missed conversion that cost the Chiefs the game (sorry if I've spoilt it more for you!)

Arrgh

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

George Carlin wrote:Welcome to the boards, Prothero. There are a fair few lunatics here but conversely, a large number of Glasgow fans too.

What I don't have much visibility of is how our exiles are getting on. Laidlaw is clearly kicking goals and starting weekly for the Cherries but I couldn't tell you how Cusiter is doing.

Duncan Taylor and McCall are getting regular gametime in their respective blacklines but how are each actually playing?

Ditto Cowan and the mighty Kellybrows (who is the only blindside we have comparable to Harley at the moment). Harley is a terrible player to lose - he has effectively become indispensable.

Laidlaw is doing well. For me he should be Scotland captain for the World Cup.

The World Cup will come too early for McColl I think, but Taylor should go as 4th choice centre (behind Scott, Dunbar and Bennett).

Cowan has the 7 jersey for Scotland and has been really solid so far, plus has been consistent for LI, and Geoff Cross keeps showing up on the scoresheet for LI which suggests that he's at the very least getting his hands on the ball, and scoring more tries than Glasgow legend Sean Maitland!!

Brown has done something nasty to Scott Johnson and Vern Cotter, and come the World Cup I suspect the 6 jersey will be worn by Rob Harley with Josh Strauss also in the squad (either starting at 8, or on the bench).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 08 Jan 2015, 3:50 pm

Duncan Weir will miss the 6 Nations after arm surgery

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/duncan-weir-to-miss-six-nations-after-arm-surgery-1-3655423

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:03 pm

The options at 10 as far as I can see:

Finn Russell
Pete Horne
Stuart Hogg* - Questions over fitness (hamstring/leg)
Greig Tonks
Tom Heathcote* - Fitness?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:23 pm

Does that mean Tonks is now our reserve standoff given he's the only other person playing regularly at 10?

I see Hogg is a concern too - Maitland to 15 and Visser/Seymour on the wings? Would rather that than Murchie or Cuthbert TBH

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:38 pm

Seems that way. Don't know how Jackson is getting on but he surely wouldn't be match fit for the 6N.

I suppose the 3 main options will be Russell, Tonks and Heathcote. Kicking shouldn't be a concern as Pyrgos is a good goal kicker if Laidlaw was to get injured.

Ultimately though the question has to be what happens given this is a world cup year. With Weir missing the 6N would it be worth getting Hogg regular game time at 10 at Glasgow as back up?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:46 pm

Yes looks like there is a FH spot on the bench up for grabs, you would imagine between Tonks and Heathcote, with the smart money currently on Tonks. That worries me a lot more than wing/fullback where we have plenty options. Maitland has often looked better at fullback than on the wing and it was his defensive play that got him noted and onto the Lions tour. His lack of try scoring is becoming a bit of a concern.

Could re-open the door for Jackson getting back in the frame for the world cup as well if he can get fit before the end of the season. Wasps clearly seem to believe in him and have offered him another contract on the back of a couple of runs off the bench.

On the better news front, it seems that Bennett is nearly fit again and may play against Montpellier next week. Should be no worries about him for the 6N.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:49 pm

Nematode wrote:Seems that way. Don't know how Jackson is getting on but he surely wouldn't be match fit for the 6N.

I suppose the 3 main options will be Russell, Tonks and Heathcote. Kicking shouldn't be a concern as Pyrgos is a good goal kicker if Laidlaw was to get injured.

Ultimately though the question has to be what happens given this is a world cup year. With Weir missing the 6N would it be worth getting Hogg regular game time at 10 at Glasgow as back up?

I would say no. I think Hogg is still struggling with form at Full back and we should keep him there to get a chance to regain form or drop him rather than move him about

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 08 Jan 2015, 4:52 pm

Riskysports wrote:
Nematode wrote:Seems that way. Don't know how Jackson is getting on but he surely wouldn't be match fit for the 6N.

I would say no. I think Hogg is still struggling with form at Full back and we should keep him there to get a chance to regain form or drop him rather than move him about

With form and a dodgy hamstring now as well it seems!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm

Glasgow are looking very threadbare at 10 now - who is back up to Horne

Is there any?

I fear for Glasgow during the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 08 Jan 2015, 5:29 pm

I would say Russell is clear first choice (particularly with Laidlaw taking the kicks) and Tonks/Heathcote are back-up (in that order).

Worrying given the lack of form shown by both Tonks and Heathcote recently, but both have the potential to do well. When you only have two pro sides and two injuries (Weir and Jackson) you're always going to struggle. Thank goodness Edinburgh aren't using Piers Francis and Bezzy anymore!!

Huge test for Russell, Tonks and Heathcote, although I'd take those three over Parks and Godman.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 08 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

Well the options (if injury free) are: Glenn Bryce, Gregor Hunter, Fraser Lyle,

Connor Braid was loaned to London Scottish.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 08 Jan 2015, 5:36 pm

I guess Glasgow will use Russell and Horne, with Hogg as back-up.

Richie Vernon to 10?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 08 Jan 2015, 5:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I guess Glasgow will use Russell and Horne, with Hogg as back-up.

Richie Vernon to 10?

Problem is 2 out of those 3 will be with Scotland!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next