The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season transfer rumours.....

+71
Notch
TheMildlyFranticLlama
sad_gimp
prop_lyd
MacKnocked-on
RuggerRadge2611
madmaccas
Jhamer25
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
Artful_Dodger
B91212
Seagultaf
alive555
Golden
XR
funnyExiledScot
BigGee
Tiger/Chief
shuren34
justified sinner
LeinsterFan4life
Majestic83
DaveM
Heaf
BigTrevsbigmac
dragon999
thomh
bluestonevedder
BamBam
sirtidychris
Margin_Walker
ChequeredJersey
Ozzy3213
doctor_grey
The Saint
LordDowlais
WELL-PAST-IT
BristolDave
nathan
RDW
profitius
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
propdavid_london
FecklessRogue
Driver
mckay1402
wales606
LondonTiger
geoff998rugby
Sgt_Pooly
SirBurger
HongKongCherry
Cardiff Dave
king_carlos
dragon4life
formerly known as Sam
Hound of Harrow
Coleman
Welly
Bathite
whocares
PenfroPete
Bathman_in_London
yappysnap
Fluxy
HammerofThunor
lostinwales
George Carlin
Geordie
75 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season transfer rumours..... - Page 8 Empty Silly Season transfer rumours.....

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Jan 2015, 12:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well its that time of year...pushing for new contracts...the rumour mill starts to fly...

Any you hear...post them here.....

The first two I've heard...

Priestland to Bath
Carl Fearns - Bath to Falcons.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Silly Season transfer rumours..... - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly Season transfer rumours.....

Post by nathan Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:24 pm

Bathite wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:Leicester fans, why on earth would Cockers let Gibson go? He has looked decent to me and is a player at Saxons/just below that level which all clubs need.

I know the salary cap is not something Bath have to worry about Run , but we were unable to match the offer made to Gibson (money and distance from his studies) AND stay within the cap.

Interesting to see Alex Lewington talking about Tigers' inability to secure and keep young English talent. Can't just be down to money. Tigers' have always been able to secure players on their history, credibility and setup. Maybe that's changing?

Do we not currently have young English talent then?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Silly Season transfer rumours..... - Page 8 Empty Re: Silly Season transfer rumours.....

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:26 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:First time I've heard Newcastle described as a Pit Village past-it Wink

I wouldn't call Horden or Blackhall, Newcastle either.

I was think more of the Jarrow accent and Newcastle accent and more noticeably their vocabulary being somewhat different, similar but different enough from anyone used to the accent to know the difference.

The pit-yackers accent is similar, but the vocabulary differs village by village.

I remember when we first got married going up to show her off, my cousin said she was going down the road to get her hubbies bait. She thought he was going fishing.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 22 Jan 2015, 6:02 pm

nathan wrote:
Bathite wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:Leicester fans, why on earth would Cockers let Gibson go? He has looked decent to me and is a player at Saxons/just below that level which all clubs need.

I know the salary cap is not something Bath have to worry about :run: , but we were unable to match the offer made to Gibson (money and distance from his studies) AND stay within the cap.

Interesting to see Alex Lewington talking about Tigers' inability to secure and keep young English talent. Can't just be down to money. Tigers' have always been able to secure players on their history, credibility and setup. Maybe that's changing?

Do we not currently have young English talent then?

Not my words, Lewingtons. Guess he's a bit bitter after leaving. Sour grapes

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:36 pm

Well to be fair our development of recent talent into first team starters has not been great. If we exclude Manu, who was a freak of nature, then Balmain is the only recent Academy lad to become anything like a fixture in the team.

However not sure exactly how much differently we could have acted with most of the leavers.

Currently plying their trade in the AP we have:

Ford and 36.
Both subsequently capped, both left to get gametime. Both were competing with English qualified players who were at the time playing well. Would have loved Ford to stay and fight for the shirt - maybe he would have had less injuries last season?

Lewington and Forsyth
We wanted to keep both, but they would have been back up to the likes of Tait, Benjamin and Manu. Both wanted more gametime and the extra salary starting regularly can bring. Neither look like being anything more than decent club players.

Steele (Scottish admittedly), Stevens and Green.
All three released, all some way down the pecking order against primarily English talent. Steele doing well at LI - but I view him as below our top 3 at SH. Stevens seems to have disappeared and Green worked hard at Nottingham and has now done well Falcons. Would still have 3 EQP locks ahead of him at tigers, so moving was right for him.

Then we have the guys in the recent successful U20 sides:

Tom Price - beset by growing pains.
Harry Wells - at Bedford, hope we bring him back.
Henry Purdy - released and doing well at Glaws. Happy for him, but as with Lewington would he ever be more than back-up?
George Catchpole - will probably be released. Not seen enough of him to decide whether he should have featured more for senior teams - certainly Charlie Thacker gets rave reviews, and Oli Bryant looks more accomplished.
Harry thacker - won Tigers Player of the month for November (I think).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 23 Jan 2015, 11:07 am

Henson to Bristol now confirmed on the beeb

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 23 Jan 2015, 12:55 pm

Salvi and Parling are expected to be leaving end of season.

Hopefully we have some big names lined up hopefully.

But Salvi and Parling will be big earners in their own right, and we won't need a like for like replacement for Parling.

Expecting to hear that we have signed:
Alberts/Kaino
Todd/Gill/Cotzee/Pocock(Injury free verison in mint condition)
Le Roux
Crotty

That will do me just fine Wink

But honestly sounds like it could be the biggest overhaul in a long long time.

Already had Burke replaced by Mauger, our head of Academy replaced by our chief scout (With more focus on academy transition to the senior team), Our U17 coachreplaced (According to Sam).

Mauger apparently wanting own staff therefore Muphy rumoured off to Wasps. and wanting to bring in some players.

Currently have going
Parling
Salvi
Gibson
Tait

All players that would be starting or in the 23.

Could be massive to the future of the club this off season. (Or I could be overreacting) Wink

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Fri 23 Jan 2015, 1:39 pm

I heard you guys have been heavily linked with Kaino and wouldn't be surprised if Thorn has put in a word to persuade him. 

Who is Tait off to?

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 23 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Tait is off to Bayonne.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 23 Jan 2015, 2:53 pm

lostinwales wrote:Henson to Bristol now confirmed on the beeb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30949459

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jan/23/gavin-henson-to-leave-bath-for-bristol
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:05 am

Poor Bristol, they must be desperate
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:09 am

Three Welsh flyhalfs. Bristol are gluttons for punishment.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:16 am

furious
Welly wrote: Salvi and Parling are expected to be leaving end of season.

But Salvi and Parling will be big earners in their own right, and we won't need a like for like replacement for Parling.

Alberts/Kaino
Le Roux
Crotty

Already had Burke replaced by Mauger, our head of Academy replaced by our chief scout (With more focus on academy transition to the senior team), Our U17 coachreplaced (According to Sam).

Mauger apparently wanting own staff therefore Muphy rumoured off to Wasps. and wanting to bring in some players.

Currently have going
Parling
Salvi
Gibson
Tait

Could be massive to the future of the club this off season. (Or I could be overreacting) Wink

I'm glad you've made some academy changes. I don't think the Leicester academy punches its weight. How much of this is due to deficiencies at the academy Tigers often appear under-represented at England age group level), and how much due to Cockerill being more reluctant than most to play young players I don't know.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:27 am

The under 17s coach has been described to me as a bully and more interested in the school (particularly those from the school where he is the PE teacher) last name of the academy candidate as opposed to their ability. That's from two independent sources. The changes in the academy can only be a positive given that is the level where talent is evaluated and brought into the system.

We have a number of high quality graduates from the academy but the quantity of graduates isn't what it could be. That's changed a little bit recently but mainly thanks to the scouting network that identified Balmain, Pasquali and Brugnara as young talents and brought them into the academy. The head of that scouting network is now overseeing the academy as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 24 Jan 2015, 11:33 am

At Academy level, we actually do really well.

Our U18s regularly perform well against Wales and England U18 teams. Last season a win over Wales and narrow defeat to England. Similar in 2013 and two wins in 2012.

Selection of Leicester players in u16s and U18s often lower than I feel it should be - but we have very few players at public schools who make up the bulk of those selected at that age. U20s is often just a continuation of the selection.

We are not great at adding young players to our team - preferring to use slightly more mature players. I copuld point out however that Saints, who have a very good academy (having poached dusty Hare) and are often lauded have very few home grown players in the first choice XV (just Courtney Lawes perhaps). Whereas we would have six guys in our first choice XV who came through the youth system.

We do need to do better with the current crop.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:00 pm

Bath have a different strategy - just use the LI academy Run

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The under 17s coach has been described to me as a bully and more interested in the school (particularly those from the school where he is the PE teacher) last name of the academy candidate as opposed to their ability. That's from two independent sources. The changes in the academy can only be a positive given that is the level where talent is evaluated and brought into the system.

We have a number of high quality graduates from the academy but the quantity of graduates isn't what it could be. That's changed a little bit recently but mainly thanks to the scouting network that identified Balmain, Pasquali and Brugnara as young talents and brought them into the academy. The head of that scouting network is now overseeing the academy as well.

Well that sounds positive. From an English rugby point of view I'd like to see more from Tiger's, and it sounds like the changes should help.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

LondonTiger wrote:At Academy level, we actually do really well.

Our U18s regularly perform well against Wales and England U18 teams. Last season a win over Wales and narrow defeat to England. Similar in 2013 and two wins in 2012.

Selection of Leicester players in u16s and U18s often lower than I feel it should be - but we have very few players at public schools who make up the bulk of those selected at that age. U20s is often just a continuation of the selection.

We are not great at adding young players to our team - preferring to use slightly more mature players. I copuld point out however that Saints, who have a very good academy (having poached dusty Hare) and are often lauded have very few home grown players in the first choice XV (just Courtney Lawes perhaps). Whereas we would have six guys in our first choice XV who came through the youth system.

We do need to do better with the current crop.

Yeah, I know the Leicester academy tends to get good results against representative teams, but I suspect that's down to familiarity to a large degree. I think the point of an academy isn't to be produce the most successful academy team, it is to bring through 2-4 high quality players each year who can play with the best age group players at representative level and then who integrate into the first team. I think we all agree the Tiger's academy hasn't been great at that. I don't think it's bias in terms of selection because vast numbers pass through the Leicester academy, and hardly any of them seem to pop up in first teams a few years later.

Incidentally I remember reading the opinion of a fan who follows youth development really closely, and he said that Tiger's sides really stood out at academy level because they, uniquely didn't seem interested in developing skills, taking risks, expansive rugby etc, instead their sides focussed on forward power and grinding other, more ambitious teams down. I don't think it's worked out, and hopefully that will change now.

I think Saints are doing ok. Tom Stephenson will almost certainly play centre for England. Collins and Packman look very promising, the Waller brothers are fine players, Harrison has been involved a bit lately, Hooley has featured this season.

Anyway, hopefully this is a turning point.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

Tigers seem to produce a gem every 3/4 years (Cole, Youngs, Tuiagi) but Saints seem to produce more AP level players that do a job.

I always thought with Tigers that they expect a little too much perhaps to start with so youngster rarely get a look in and venture off to find new clubs, Green and Lewington being recent cases.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:49 pm

Green had some good performances for us, a MoTM against Saints when still a teenager springs to mind. however his progress was not as fast as some others - and then Ed Slater burst onto the scene.

When you have locks of the calibre of Slater, Parling, Deacon and Kitch - well it is always a struggle. Green was thus released to nottingham to gain match time, then Falcons took a punt. I do remember telling you guys, who were very sceptical, that he could be an inspired signing.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 24 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

Lewington is a different case. I do not believe he will ever be more than a decent club pro - but we brought in unknowns like Morris, scull and Goneva ahead of him. Now those three have done well (and exceptionally so in Niki's case) but it would have been good to see Lewington getting a fairer crack of the whip.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Jan 2015, 1:00 pm

Green established himself and then smashed his ACL. By the time he returned he was in no kind of form for a length of time and ended up in the Championship for two years.

Lewington was one that annoyed a lot of Leicester fans.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Sat 24 Jan 2015, 3:01 pm

Definitely a fan of Lewington at Irish. Very sharp player, who will likely have a decent premiership career.

Was a pleasant surprise seeing him play after coming essentially as someone who was surplus to requirement at Leicester. Was expecting more of a squad winger than a stand out.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sat 24 Jan 2015, 3:05 pm

Margin_Walker wrote:Definitely a fan of Lewington at Irish. Very sharp player, who will likely have a decent premiership career.

Was a pleasant surprise seeing him play after coming essentially as someone who was surplus to requirement at Leicester. Was expecting more of a squad winger than a stand out.

He still makes one or two too many silly mistakes for my liking, but he has the makings of a fine player if he can eradicate them.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Sat 24 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

SirBurger wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:Definitely a fan of Lewington at Irish. Very sharp player, who will likely have a decent premiership career.

He still makes one or two too many silly mistakes for my liking, but he has the makings of a fine player if he can eradicate them.

Yep, put us under pressure with a few knock ons in the Exeter game especially. Overall though he's a classy player that I'm glad we have.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 24 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm

Our U18's just beat Yorshire U18 in the AP U18 league 41 - 5 scoring 6 tries with Fred Tuilagi playing
TH prop.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sat 24 Jan 2015, 5:48 pm

Henry has been playing a lot at 8 for our 'A' team.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 24 Jan 2015, 6:07 pm

Driver wrote:Henry has been playing a lot at 8 for our 'A' team.

It's Brian that we have Driver. Henry was a beast of an 8 that used to play for Tigers and now plays in France for USAP.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sat 24 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Driver wrote:Henry has been playing a lot at 8 for our 'A' team.

It's Brian that we have Driver. Henry was a beast of an 8 that used to play for Tigers and now plays in France for USAP.

Was going to say how many do you want!

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 25 Jan 2015, 6:41 am

So Quins have re-signed most of their side, just a fee players remaining now like Williams and Ugo.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 25 Jan 2015, 11:12 am

That's the Quins way still in force then Yappy. Retain the squad and add a couple. Has Fearns been confirmed yet?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 25 Jan 2015, 1:59 pm

yappysnap wrote:So Quins have re-signed most of their side, just a fee players remaining now like Williams and Ugo.

Has Walker signed yet or is it looking like he is leaving.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun 25 Jan 2015, 2:43 pm

Meant Brian!
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:37 pm

Welly wrote: Salvi and Parling are expected to be leaving end of season.

Alberts/Kaino
Le Roux
Crotty

Currently have going
Parling
Salvi
Gibson
Tait

If you get some of those players you'll be back at the top. Hell of a group of signatures.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 25 Jan 2015, 3:39 pm

I doubt we will get any.

But Mauger is apparently bringing a few SH players with him.

we will see.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:41 pm

Micky Young -----> Newcastle.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm

Welly wrote: Micky Young -----> Newcastle.

Should never have left.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:45 pm

He had a shot with Tigers IMO.

Just injured at bad times.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 25 Jan 2015, 4:50 pm

Micky Young looks a done deal, he was at a recent game apparently.

Also talk of Marcus Watson the winger (ex Irish?) and Carl Fearns still been banded about. Apparently Fearns is following us and our CEO on Twitter if that means anything??

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:07 pm

Think Fearns is off to Quins

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 25 Jan 2015, 5:11 pm

Yea I've heard that Bathite and that he's staying.

The rumour to us hasn't died down, although I'm not overly convinced we need him or he'd come.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:00 pm

Brendan McKibbin signs for London Irish - some really good signings so far ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:12 pm

Hope the RWC fallout isnt going to leave us too flooded with SH imports

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:26 pm

Welly wrote: He had a shot with Tigers IMO.

Just injured at bad times.

He was only ever coming to be second choice. It was potentially a really good signing for us as it was a player in a similar vein to Youngs, so the style of play would remain the same. Injury then suspension made his stay a frustrating one. However he had become a Saxon at Falcons and was their first choice - though alan Tait did seem to like his SH journeymen, so that could easily have changed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Mon 26 Jan 2015, 12:30 pm

lostinwales wrote:Hope the RWC fallout isnt going to leave us too flooded with SH imports

Brendan was originally a Scottish export Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 26 Jan 2015, 1:27 pm

Why do we need Youngs back?

We have Blair playing nice experienced rugby still.
Tipuna is electric and really is playing well.
Andy Davies has been brought back and showed some nice touches in the recent Bucharest game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Mon 26 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

He's looked good behind a dominate pack this year when i'v seen him, He's a bell end in person mind. Know him from West Hartlepool.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 26 Jan 2015, 3:04 pm

Then I definitely don't want him back .

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 26 Jan 2015, 3:16 pm

Driver wrote:He's looked good behind a dominate pack this year when i'v seen him, He's a bell end in person mind. Know him from West Hartlepool.

You should hear what he says about you Driver! :shock:

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:04 pm

If Blair retires as rumoured, Young will be a decent replacement and EQ.

Who's Brendan McKibbin?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm

NSW Waratahs 9 very very good imo, great goal kicker as well.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next