The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon draw

+15
Henman Bill
summerblues
Animalfan
Jermaine2015
banbrotam
Danny_1982
Born Slippy
lags72
biugo
dummy_half
Belovedluckyboy
slashermcguirk
temporary21
MrInvisible
Guest82
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wimbledon draw - Page 2 Empty Wimbledon draw

Post by Guest82 Fri 26 Jun 2015, 11:45 am

First topic message reminder :

Murray in Federers half. Rafa's quarter.

Djokovic obviously in Stans half.

QF. Djokovic v Nishikori
Wawrinka v Raonic
Ferrer (or Nadal) v Murray
Berdych v Federer

Someone cleverer than me might be able to plot the routes...

Potential early dangers;

Djokovic - Kohlschreiber (first round!), Tomic, Anderson, Janowicz
Stan - Verdasco, Thiem, Kyrgios
Murray - Coric, Tsonga, Nadal
Federer - Sock, F Lopez

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon draw - Page 2 Empty Re: Wimbledon draw

Post by Animalfan Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:31 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Ferrer out of Wimbledon with a wrist injury, Lucky loser luca Vanni takes his place.

Great news for Ward!
Vanni, vesely, lorenzi, pospisil, millot, smyzcek and fog don't have the best grass court record.
Dream big Wardy and you can make it to round four to play rafa! #theimpossibledream

Very dodgy from Ferrer to announce his withdrawal at the eleventh hour after the oop is announced for day 1.

It means the draw can't be rebalanced with seedings moving up as would normally be the case. Instead now the committee has no choice but to put a lucky loser in Ferrers spot.

It means Vanna instead of potentially the ninth seed, who I think is Isner, in rafas quarter. Big advantage for his countryman.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:34 pm

Ok, I've got the exact seedings wrong but the point still stands. Ferrer withdrawing so late means the draw can't be rebalanced and that obviously helps Rafa. Instead of a seeded player he gets a lucky loser in the fourth round.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun 28 Jun 2015, 9:48 pm

I dont think thats foul play. Ferrer waited till the last minute to see if his wrist could take it.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 4:02 am

If they push up the seeding to replace Ferrer, then Rafa would be replacing Cilic in the draw and so he'll face Kei in R4 and Dimi will replace Rafa and will face Cilic (who replaces Ferrer) in R4 and Murray will have either Cilic or Dimi in QF. Novak will be the one having a chance to face Rafa in the QF instead. I dont know whats more difficult - facing Murray or Novak in the QF.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 4:33 am

If Ferrer didn't W/D, I doubt he would go far. Even if they reshuffle the draw and Rafa ending up facing Kei in R4, I'm also not sure Kei on grass is a tougher opponent than Posposil or Vesley or Ward. Ward seems to play well on grass, Versley pushed Kygrios to the distance last year if I'm not wrong, For Rafa on grass, no one is an easy opponent!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 7:53 am

I thought what they used to do in this situation was bump the highest ranked non-seed up to be the 33rd seed - put them into the withdrawn seed's position in the draw and have a lucky loser come in for them. Am I mis-remembering or have they changed the procedure?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:06 am

Bad luck for Ferrer. Good luck for Ward and Rafa. Breaks Ferrer's very long run of consecutive GS appearances.
I'm just about to set out for SW19 where I've tickets on court two. Promises to be full of noisy Aussies as Kyrgios first up, then Hewitt. Would be good to see Lleyton have one more win at Wimbledon. I think he'll beat Nieminen.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:12 am

Highest non seed would be 33rd ranked Kohl, to replace Ferrer. And so, Novak would then face someone else in the first round.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 29 Jun 2015, 10:49 am

Luca Vanni stepped in for Ferrer as a lucky loser, as mentioned above.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 29 Jun 2015, 11:00 am

Born Slippy wrote:I thought what they used to do in this situation was bump the highest ranked non-seed up to be the 33rd seed - put them into the withdrawn seed's position in the draw and have a lucky loser come in for them. Am I mis-remembering or have they changed the procedure?

Well, checking back to Krajicek's victory, he was the highest ranked non-seed until Muster (seeded #7) withdrew, and yes he took Muster's spot in the draw (while numbered as the 17th seed...). So your memory appears to be correct.

I think the difference in this case is that Ferrer's withdrawal is so late that the order of play had already been determined, and so it would have been unfair on Djokovic and Kohli to make the switch as previously. Probably makes Vanni the luckiest lucky loser ever, to be placed in a spot in the draw that offers the protection of a high seeding.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 29 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

It strikes me as highly unlikely either Novak or Kohli would be complaining! Both would have had far easier matches.

Can't say I'm unhappy though. Novak v Kohli is a lot more interesting than Novak v Vanni!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 29 Jun 2015, 1:18 pm

Born Slippy wrote:It strikes me as highly unlikely either Novak or Kohli would be complaining! Both would have had far easier matches.

But it would be unfair to all players. Once the draws made, that it

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:06 pm

FedsFan wrote:Looking at the draw this is simple enough to call.

Djokovic to cruise to the final. There is no one really who can match him. Stan is  not great on grass and still high on his RG win I doubt cares what happens here.

Federer to throw in a shocker early on. Last year he played much better than this year in general and he had a dream draw but came up agonisingly short. With every 12 months that pass it does not get easier. If he is to win, he needs some results to go his way and some luck. Amazing to think its come to Fed needing 'luck' to win a slam now. There is a reason no one has won 8 titles here. I think for Fed to retire as the all time Wimbledon great is deserved looking at his performance.

Nadal will play better this year and I have a feeling make the semis at least. Final will be Murray/Djokovic with Murray perhaps coming out on top.

I would not be at all surprised if we have a Nadal/Djokovic final and Nadal to pull something amazing out of the bag. I believe he will do something this year to show the world he is not done.

Federer's results this year are almost identical to last year up to this point. Except he lost earlier at the AUS open (but went a round further at the FO) but has won two additional tournaments this year. He also reached two masters finals up this point last year (same as this year).

I think he's play overall is better this year - probably, and as he himself has said, because he's more used to the racquet now.

In a one off match on grass I would give him even odds against Djokovic and make him favourite against anyone else. Of course his chances are much reduced when you consider his age and the fact of having to play back to back tough matches with the cumulative wear and fatigue this brings. So with this in mind if he were to play Murray (having already played five matches) I would make Murray the slight favourite (55:45). In a final against Djokovic the latter would accordingly be the clear favourite.

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Animalfan Mon 29 Jun 2015, 9:12 pm

Djokovic's 'tough' draw is looking easier by the minute.

Nishikori struggling with a calf injury (had the trainer on) and Stan also massaging his hamstring with commentators speculating about a potential injury. Is there anyone on Djokovic's side that can actually play grass court tennis?

Oh yes... Raonic Rolling Eyes

Animalfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 30 Jun 2015, 12:09 am

Welcome to 606v2, Animalfan. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 30 Jun 2015, 3:34 am

Cilic if he decides to play decent tennis. He took Novak to five sets at Wimbledon last year, was leading during the match but somehow lost it. Hes through to R2 in straight sets.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2