The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires

+18
socal1976
hawkeye
HM Murdock
sirfredperry
bogbrush
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
JuliusHMarx
TRuffin
temporary21
Jahu
laverfan
Josiah Maiestas
summerblues
Belovedluckyboy
CaledonianCraig
lydian
Haddie-nuff
22 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires - Page 2 Empty Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.canindia.com/djokovic-insists-nadal-still-remains-king-of-clay

What is your opinion ??  Do you agree or is Novak just being patronising ?
Over to you socal

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires - Page 2 Empty Re: Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires

Post by Henman Bill Thu 04 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

Rafa will soon respond and say that Djokovic is the favourite for the French Open, or the faovurite for any tournament he enters.

They are both going to downplay it but, the way the situation is at the moment, Djokovic's view is reasonable.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires - Page 2 Empty Re: Rafa gets wild card for Buenos Aires

Post by Jahu Thu 04 Feb 2016, 9:24 pm

Yes, Nadal the King of Clay on ATP250, soon to be joined by the King of Grass at ATP250 (Fed).

That's what DJoko meant, a slap on Nadals bold head, with this statement.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

Thiem crushing Rafa, though 1:1 on sets, 5:5 third set, after Rafa misses a Match Point on Thiem's serve.

Rafa can't see the balls, I swear, like rockets from Thiem!!

This is SF on some village in Argentina it seems.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:39 pm

Thiem beats Rafa 6:4, 4:6, 7:6 (7:4)

Great play by Thiem.

Rafa need some Challenger Clay training, even ATP250 is tough on him now Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:45 pm

Why to you have to put Laugh behind every inane post you put on this forum..God your pathetic

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

Good win for Thiem.  Clay has always been his best surface, so not a huge shock this, given Rafa's current form.  Initially it looked like he might even win in two sets, but Rafa's experience/his inexperience made the difference in the second set.  In the third set I thought Rafa looked like he was taking over but Thiem managed to hold on.

Rafa looked quite poor; he needs to improve significantly from today's level to have any chance of even meeting Nole at RG, let alone beating him.  He still has over three months to fix whatever is wrong, but his start to the clay season is not looking too good.

My hope for Rafa for this year is to drop out of top 10.  I am not too hopeful, but on performances like this one, it might not be entirely impossible.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:56 pm

Beginning to look like 2014 was Nadal's last hurrah in the game and maybe he has other interests and concerns taking over his tennis life.

Thiem is going to be a star in the game if he makes a few little changes to his game Smile
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 13 Feb 2016, 8:58 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Why to you have to put Laugh behind every inane post you put on this forum..God your pathetic

So why say you have blocked me, when you did not?

Was it just to flirt with CC?

Careful before you get deported from Spain, like Canadians did it Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 13 Feb 2016, 9:02 pm

summerblues wrote:My hope for Rafa for this year is to drop out of top 10.  I am not too hopeful, but on performances like this one, it might not be entirely impossible.

Can you hope same for Djoko? Why you so selfish? drumroll
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 13 Feb 2016, 9:13 pm

Actually I hope the same too because then it might force the issue re change of coaching. He needs new input and just something new to revitalise himself, he's just treading tennis water at the moment whilst others are improving around him and yet he has the talent to try different things. So I wasnt surprised with this result, he made a massive meal out of Monaco and then Lorenzi yesterday...journeymen he would have wiped the floor with 2+ years ago.

Rafa's shots look impotent at the moment, and he looks out of ideas, just doing the same old plugging away with less weight and less depth...lord knows where his head is at at the moment. His shots don't seem to sting anymore and he too often misfires. Don't they say expecting something new from the same approaches is the definite of madness? Well Rafa's tennis is madness at the moment.

I really do wonder if a life away from the tour beckons...eg the Academy back home. Thiem is good, very good, but really Rafa should not be losing these matches. He actually had match point and a 2nd serve at 5-4 too so this is disappointing. The Rafa of old would have pounced on the opportunity instead he meekly hands the initiative back to Thiem. It's all a little dispiriting being a Rafa fan these days...its felt like a long goodbye since 2013...and if he keeps losing like this (throwing away chances) then I almost wish he would say goodbye! It's going to take something special to turn around this form/mentality, it really is. Rafa is a shadow of the player he was to be honest and it's sad to watch. This is a 14 slam winner...I have to say it looks like he's lost his tennis mojo to be honest...the body is going through the same old motions and routines but the mind is elsewhere. Yes this harsh but it needs to be said!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sat 13 Feb 2016, 10:20 pm

He has a stomach upset I heard, so he's being poor. Lets hope he's feeling better at Rio. Another issue for him is the humidity, it seems he cant deal with humidity these days.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sat 13 Feb 2016, 11:35 pm

Perhaps its time for Rafa to move on and do something else other than playing professional tennis. His body and mind are gone I feel, just waiting for the Rio Olympics and then call it a day maybe.

It seems like he really doesnt like the current brand of hard hitting and big serving tennis and is unwilling to play like that to follow the trend, preferring his own point construction and rallying tennis.

I wish him well no matter what decisions he has to make, just wish him happiness. Its no point continuing with something which he can no longer find happiness doing.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 14 Feb 2016, 1:06 am

Good result for Almagro.
Rafa, jury is still out until the European clay court season. He's still second favourite for French Open.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sun 14 Feb 2016, 1:20 am

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Perhaps its time for Rafa to move on and do something else other than playing professional tennis.  His body and mind are gone I feel, just waiting for the Rio Olympics and then call it a day maybe.

It seems like he really doesnt like the current brand of hard hitting and big serving tennis and is unwilling to play like that to follow the trend, preferring his own point construction and rallying tennis.

I wish him well no matter what decisions he has to make, just wish him happiness.  Its no point continuing with something which he can no longer find happiness doing.

Many fed fans have said the same thing about him moving on during rough patches, but look at some of the amazing tennis they would have missed the past few years if he had.

If nadal is the amazing talent and champion so many think he is, he is certainly capable of tweaking his game and finding his mojo again at 29. Give him a chance to right the ship.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 14 Feb 2016, 4:03 am

The thing is his body is his main issue followed by his mindset now. It seemed to me that after his AO2014 back issue, hes no longer the same player. My guess is that his serve is affected by the back issue since. Even though he has his stem cell treatment, he seems not trusting his body still.

If hes not getting the results he desires, I think he may quit and concentrate on his tennis academy instead. Who knows, enough is enough.

I feel hes unlike Fed; he never think of himself as that great and after knowing his foot issue, he's thankful that he's able to achieve what he has already achieved. Perhaps its his fans who are expecting more from him and so get disappointed.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 14 Feb 2016, 5:15 am

Two SHBHs in the final. On clay. In a tournament where Rafa and Ferrer were in the SFs.

Not bad.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Feb 2016, 8:06 am

Great result for Thiem clap

Have to see what the European clay season holds for Rafa.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 14 Feb 2016, 5:10 pm

It looks desperate for Rafa, though this is no surprise after the last couple of years. It's a long term thing, I don't see a renaissance.

He really might leave the scene before Federer, though we have to see how the letters knee recovers before settling on that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 14 Feb 2016, 6:17 pm

bogbrush wrote:It looks desperate for Rafa, though this is no surprise after the last couple of years. It's a long term thing, I don't see a renaissance.

He really might leave the scene before Federer, though we have to see how the letters knee recovers before settling on that.

There would have ben a time when I argued with you BB but I have little or no choice but to agree.
As a fan of one of the greatest players in tennis, imho, it pains me dreadfully to see the decline which is becoming more apparent with every match he plays.. If he announced tomorrow his retirement I think I would welcome it because there is no way back from here .. let us remember Rafa for what and who he is.. let me lament his early retirement as I did Borg.. I do not want to see a Rafa that is ridiculed, and pitied, he deserves better and I and many of his fans wan to remember him as a great champion not as a washed up has been

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 14 Feb 2016, 7:04 pm

If it is any consolation Haddie nuff this lean streak in the last year or so will be forgotten after he retires. His feats will be remembered having won 14 slams, won all four slam events, owned RG for so long and lots more. I can only think of one other player who can retire with an even more glittering resume....Roger Federer.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 14 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

Congrats Thiem,

Good tournament win, with back-to-back deciding set TBs. He seems more mature and focused than some of the other youngsters (Kyrgios, I hope you are reading this).

His success, as his game, are geared towards clay, but I see no reason why he could not do well on HCs too.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 14 Feb 2016, 8:26 pm

Happy for Thiem too, played aggressive all week.

And even better to see him beat 2 spanish player out of 3 left on SF Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 15 Feb 2016, 1:29 am

Either one of the last results by Thiem would be impressive as a stand alone, but more so to do one and then back it up with the other. Not so impressive that he beat Almagro per se but to do it in a final and at a tournament Almagro probably knows better than him. I thought Almagro's experience would just carry this, but not quite.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:05 am

I gather Rafa had a tummy upset but this was still another poor tournament from him. I keep waiting for the old Rafa - or at least something close to the old Rafa - to emerge again. But I wonder if he's ever going to be a major contender again.
The European clay-court season appears to be the key. If Rafa does badly there then it really will be bad news.
In recent seasons there have times when Fed (in 2013) and Murray (in 2014) were a bit off the pace. Rafa's comparatively poor run seems to be going on longer.
On the plus side he's still "only" 29 and he's still number five in the world.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 15 Feb 2016, 9:33 am

Rafa has been better on HC than clay for more then a year.

Don't think he has power for clay any more.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:37 am

He's only 29 but been playing high level pro tennis longer than anyone else...remember he beat Alberto Costa (reigning RG champion) at Monte Carlo as a 16 year old...he's been playing a long time already...and been on borrowed time since the congenital bone issue arose as a 19 year old. He's had to overcome so many set back that I wonder if he's mentally blown now. I hope not but there is something "missing" from Rafa that is more than just physical. To be sure he needs a new coach and new outlook. That Toni ISNT stepping down is a concern, if he has the best interests of Rafa to heart then he should recognise that he's taken Rafa as far as he can and needs to do the honourable thing and step aside to not hold him back anymore. Rafa won't have it in his heart to do it because Toni is family and the Spanish respect their elders very much...so Toni has to do it.

Federer got to a similar point around 29 years old and knew he needed something different so he took on Paul Annacone, an arrangement that helped him change direction, a direction that Edberg has since continued. Rafa has the talent to change...but does he have the hunger to do it. I just don't know...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:45 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
bogbrush wrote:It looks desperate for Rafa, though this is no surprise after the last couple of years. It's a long term thing, I don't see a renaissance.

There would have ben a time when I argued with you BB but I have little or no choice but to agree.
As a fan of one of the greatest players in tennis, imho, it pains me dreadfully to see the decline which is becoming more apparent with every match he plays.. If he announced tomorrow his retirement I think I would welcome it because there is no way back from here .. let us remember Rafa for what and who he is.. let me lament his early retirement as I did Borg.. I do not want to see a Rafa that is ridiculed, and pitied, he deserves better and I and many of his fans wan to remember him as a great champion not as a washed up has been
I think if he carried on it would have zero effect on his "legacy". As lydian says, he's already had a longer career than some guys who play into their 30's and he's won shedloads.

That said, for a player of his level I'd struggle to see the point of showing up if it stayed this bad. It's one thing for Federer to stick around losing his h2h with Djokovic because he gets beaten in 2 finals and 1 semi in the last 3 Slams, it's quite another to become a reputation builder for lesser players.

This clay season will be critical. He's had these sort of comeback losses on clay before and still won through, it's just that the difference is this isn't an injury comeback, he's been "healthy" for over a year now. A poor clay year (which for him means no titles) might see him chuck it in, especially if he's losing to people other than Djokovic.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:56 am

Quite agree BB, this next 3 months could dictate if Rafa hangs the racquet up after the Olympics and USO (he will do OG for national pride).

He simply must make a change though...he surely can't retire without having explored new options as he's a long time retired. He problem is the change...he's swimming in The Nile but surely deep down knows it's not working with Toni anymore, he needs input and a fresh impetus. Ok, he's not a 19 year old anymore who could cover the court like no-one else but he's talented enough to cover new weaknesses through guile/talent...you don't win 14 slams without insane levels of talent...so let's see. I'm almost bizarrely hoping he crashes out early in Rio to really really force the issue. I want Toni out!!!! (and have done for 3-4 seasons now...he's an overrated coach and always was...the talent was always Rafa).
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:05 pm

Toni is willing to step down but its Rafa who doesnt want Toni to go. I think Rafa doesnt trust anyone else. If Toni insist on going then it may be worse for Rafa.

Actually Rafa was playing fine at Abu Dhabi exho, IPTL exho and also at Beijing, Shanghai, Basel and WTF last year. To me its not his game that's having problem, its his nerve at crucial moments that played him out. He had MP but ended up losing; he's now losing tiebreaks more and more often, a sign of him not being clutch and getting very nervous at crucial moments.

He wasnt playing well at BA clay partly because of stomach upset and also the humidity. He's not 22 but 29 so his body may not adapt well to the humid conditions unlike in the past. I think he wont do well at Rio too but I feel he'll do better at IW when the weather is drier with not much humidity. He may not win at IW and Miami but may play better tennis than this SA clay swing, thats my guess.

I think he recently mentioned that the balls in use now dont take to topspin well, which may explain why he tries hitting flatter shots on the HCs, and he's hitting shorter when hitting with topspin even on clay.

He was hitting with better depth at Abu Dhabi when hitting flatter shots. Its puzzling that he couldnt play like his exho matches when he's playing in the atp tour matches.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:40 pm

Agree with Lydian about Toni. While he does help Rafa to be who he is now, I feel he has not helped realized Rafa's full potential.

I mean if Toni had the foresight, he would've helped Rafa to develop a better serve from young, a more reliable BH esp the DTL shot. He would have Rafa continued with the more aggressive play close to the baseline and continued to develop his net approaches which Rafa had shown a natural ability and willingness to do even at a young age. He would have Rafa continued with hitting a flatter FH for the quicker courts but allowed him to hit his topspin FH for clay.

Just imagine a Rafa doing all those instead of spending time running from way behind the baseline playing long points and grinding; Rafa may even have fewer injuries playing shorter points esp after they learned of his foot issue.

Toni has helped with Rafa's mental focus and his abilities to withstand pressure; however he couldnt foresee the mental collapse that Rafa is now having when his body fails him time and again. Toni's harsh way of training Rafa, berating him more than praising him, telling him his opponents are more talented than him, has resulted in a Rafa who's lacking in self confidence, overly humble and imo a bit timid and not willing to take risk (very unlike the young Rafa who was so fearless).

Toni's success as a coach is more to do with his good fortune of having a piece of fine material that is Rafa to start with. Without Rafa's talent, I doubt Toni's training method could produce a legend like Rafa.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 15 Feb 2016, 12:49 pm

Even at his best, Rafa tended to have LONG matches. Sometimes he seemed down and out but you knew if it was a tight finish he would come through. The matches seem just as long now but Rafa ain't winning them all - sometimes losing from winning positions which never seemed to happen in his pomp.
Agree he could do with a new coach/fresh approach but it doesn't look likely to happen. Ironic that some who may not have been his biggest fans - me included - are now keen to see him do well.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

I think it's significant that Rafa's best form of recent years - Canada, Cincy and USO in 2013 - was achieved without Toni in the box. Franciso Roig took the lead in that period.

I've always thought Toni was more of 'life coach' than a 'tennis coach'. He undoubtedly helped Rafa develop a winner's temperament but I've never felt he was a tactical or technical genius.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:09 pm

I dunno, Rafa Nadal without Toni seems weird. It's almost like you'd say they've come so far they might was well go down fighting together.

Yes fred, I am not known as a guy who wanted Nadal to win tennis matches (apart from the 2012 RG final where I openly declared my wish for him to win the final to break the record) but it is becoming a little uncomfortable. I guess that'll last until I next see him playing Federer!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:09 pm

HM Murdock wrote:I think it's significant that Rafa's best form of recent years - Canada, Cincy and USO in 2013 - was achieved without Toni in the box. Franciso Roig took the lead in that period.

I've always thought Toni was more of 'life coach' than a 'tennis coach'. He undoubtedly helped Rafa develop a winner's temperament but I've never felt he was a tactical or technical genius.
Except during matches, where his input has been much appreciated Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 15 Feb 2016, 4:21 pm

He should get married and have children, it has worked for Fed, Djoko, Andy (sort of).

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Feb 2016, 8:50 am

Jahu wrote:He should get married and have children, it has worked for Fed, Djoko, Andy (sort of).

Federer 15 slams before children, 2 post children. Rafa 14 slams before children. Djokovic 7 slams before children, 4 after. Murray 2 slams before children, 0 after. Total 38 slams before children, 6 after. Did Federer get married before or after Wimbledon 2009 I have no idea. If it was after then the figures for marriage are the same but even if it was before it doesn't change much.

In BA Nadal was sick and looking at Rio it's likely to be a wash out. Nadal clearly has work to do to get back to the top but I'm not sure that these two tournaments are the place for him to do this work. In hindsight he would have been better playing Rotterdam and Dubai. He doesn't need to prove himself by playing sick or playing a crazy rain delayed schedule.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue 16 Feb 2016, 9:33 am

Agree that HC is his best chance now, but he needs clay hours to stop Djoko winning RG, and I support him on that mission Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 16 Feb 2016, 10:39 am

I too think that Rafa should play at Rotterdam and maybe Dubai instead of the SA clay swing. Its so humid at SA, not only this year but has been such all along. Rafa was struggling with the humidity even though he won at Rio in 2014. He was struggling there last year and I see he is struggling there this year.

Rafa seems to struggle with humidity as he gets older, at Rio, FO2014, USO2015 for egs. I think when one gets older its more difficult for one's body to adapt to weather changes. Staying and playing in Europe may be better for him and the Rotterdam courts seem to be getting slower these days.

I also agree that Rafa seems to be doing better on the HCs than on clay these days. It may be because of 1)he's no longer that strong physically to impact that much topspin on clay, not helped by slower footspeed; 2) the balls they are using now are not topspin friendly.

He's trying to hit flatter shots on the HCs and he's doing better on the HCs except at the AO. I was thinking maybe he should play with flatter shots I/O topspin even on clay, but hit with depth and add in the BHDTL shots, since his topspin shots are now landing short and becoming more attackable.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:I too think that Rafa should play at Rotterdam and maybe Dubai instead of the SA clay swing. Its so humid at SA, not only this year but has been such all along.  Rafa was struggling with the humidity even though he won at Rio in 2014.  He was struggling there last year and I see he is struggling there this year.  

Rafa seems to struggle with humidity as he gets older, at Rio, FO2014, USO2015 for egs. I think when one gets older its more difficult for one's body to adapt to weather changes. Staying and playing in Europe may be better for him and the Rotterdam courts seem to be getting slower these days.

I also agree that Rafa seems to be doing better on the HCs than on clay these days.  It may be because of 1)he's no longer that strong physically to impact that much topspin on clay, not helped by slower footspeed; 2) the balls they are using now are not topspin friendly.  

He's trying to hit flatter shots on the HCs and he's doing better on the HCs except at the AO. I was thinking maybe he should play with flatter shots I/O topspin even on clay, but hit with depth and add in the BHDTL shots, since his topspin shots are now landing short and becoming more attackable.

I am prepared to listen and consider all reasons, explanations and excuses his current form.... the man I so doggedly support but hey

Rafa seems to struggle with humidity

O pleeeeze what nationality is he???...the humidity in Spain can be crippling and if you were talking about Novak or Federer I might agree with you but Rafa. picard
Find me something more believable..

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:05 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

Rafa seems to struggle with humidity

O pleeeeze what nationality is he???...the humidity in Spain can be crippling and if you were talking about Novak or Federer I might agree with you but Rafa. picard
Find me something more believable..

Well there is plenty of evidence to show that Rafa does struggle with humidity. In BA he looked sick as a dog and admitted that he was struggling with stomach problems brought on by the heat. Admittedly the conditions there were extreme. I've read that the temperature in one of his matches was 40.4c (105f) with 65% humidity. Something called a heat index is used to determine heat conditions that can be dangerous it uses a formula that combines heat and humidity. The figures for that match indicate that continued exposure would be "highly likely" to result in heat stroke. Heat stroke can cause death or brain damage.

http://www.srh.weather.gov/jetstream/downloads/heatindex_rh_f_20x12.pdf

But I can also remember Rafa struggling in less extreme humid conditions. The RG 2014 final for example. Rafa is from Majorca and not mainland Spain. Isn't the climate there less extreme?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:09 pm

Why dont you read what he himself said about the difficult conditions out there?

This is not any excuse for his losses, he played poorly that's all. He struggled but still won in 2014 when he was playing reasonably well. Why must some here take anything being said as excuses?

I doubt the humidity in Spain is worse than that in SA. Anyway humidity in all these places couldnt compare to the tropical weather here in Spore, its all year round humidity!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:26 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Why dont you read what he himself said about the difficult conditions out there?

This is not any excuse for his losses, he played poorly that's all.  He struggled but still won in 2014 when he was playing reasonably well.  Why must some here take anything being said as excuses?

I doubt the humidity in Spain is worse than that in SA.  Anyway humidity in all these places couldnt compare to the tropical weather here in Spore, its all year round humidity!

All Spain is Humid.. and Rafa has played in as many humid places all over the world.. yes he sweats like a pig he always has done. I think you will have had to live in Spain to know just how humid it gets we have not had a winter this year and the mozzies are still biting... but I wont go into "my dad is bigger than your dad" you will just have to take my word for it. Erm
 Rafa had stomach trouble before and once at Wimbledon either last year or the one before.. changes of diet and water can affect any athlete not to mention their body clock is askew.. that might be more of his problem as he relies  a lot on a fish diet.
Rafa has pushed his body so hard over the years I think his resilience is at a low ebb.He is lacking in energy and drive.. loathed as I am to say it he is burning out. If he was a car I would suggest he has gone round the clock and could do with a new engine Wink He has not got time on his side and if he were younger he could take his foot off the pedal but he is on full throttle and he still cant make it up the hill. I realllllllllllllllllly reallllllllllllllllly want to be wrong believe me

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:43 pm

Haddie. Rafa said in BA that he was struggling to cope with the heat and humidity in BA. He said it was causing him to have stomach problems and he said all this before he lost. Whether he should have been better able to cope with the conditions doesn't matter because the fact of the matter was he didn't. The match with Thiem he should have won despite not feeling well as he had enough chances but he didn't.

No one is denying that Rafa is struggling... The big loss was Verdasco though. Winning or not winning these South American tournaments is unimportant.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:52 pm

Seems like you dont trust what Rafa was saying about the difficult conditions out there. Again this is not an excuse, please make this clear.

Like I said, as he gets older his body will find it difficult to adapt, isnt it what you said 'his resilience is at a low ebb'??

I dont see Rafa losing his drive, he's still as driven despite his physical decline. If not, why is he working so hard? He's implementing some changes into his game but has difficulties doing that in tour matches despite having successes in exhos.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:04 pm

Like I said, as he gets older his body will find it difficult to adapt

Well done Roger then eh and Ferrer...no such problems it seems

If that explanation makes you feel more comfortable then so be it.. it does nothing for me.  Ive never heard Rafa make excuses before, far from it quite the contrary he has trundled on regardless. Whats the humidity in Rio.. Whistle
Well I think we are in for a bumpy ride.

It does not bode good for the rest of the season.. fasten your seat belts.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

There's one interesting article about running in humidity at www.therunnersworld.

Those who sweat alot are the ones who are affected the most in humid conditions. Yeah, so well done to Fed and Ferrer for not sweating like a pig, unlike Rafa.

Well, if you take what Rafa says as excuses, then so be it. Yeah, I dont see Rafa doing well at Rio if he continues playing like crap, humidity or not.

As for the rest of the season, we'll see whether Rafa could implement all those changes successfully in his main tour events. If he couldnt then perhaps he's not going to win anymore.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:25 pm

Its www.runnersworld.com

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:28 pm

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Why dont you read what he himself said about the difficult conditions out there?

This is not any excuse for his losses, he played poorly that's all.  He struggled but still won in 2014 when he was playing reasonably well.  Why must some here take anything being said as excuses?

I doubt the humidity in Spain is worse than that in SA.  Anyway humidity in all these places couldnt compare to the tropical weather here in Spore, its all year round humidity!

Last edited by Haddie-nuff on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong post)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

hawkeye wrote:Haddie. Rafa said in BA that he was struggling to cope with the heat and humidity in BA. He said it was causing him to have stomach problems and he said all this before he lost. Whether he should have been better able to cope with the conditions doesn't matter because the fact of the matter was he didn't. The match with Thiem he should have won despite not feeling well as he had enough chances but he didn't.

No one is denying that Rafa is struggling... The big loss was Verdasco though. Winning or not winning these South American tournaments is unimportant.

Im sorry HE Ive always been in "your camp" but seriously you are trying to tell me that these tournaments he is losing to nobody, or to someone who he would have dismissed without a turn of a hair, are UNIMPORTANT. Of course their bliddy important .. if he cannot win such micky mouse tournaments then what hope has he for a slam.
He needs to prove to himself, let alone us, that he is a credible contender to whatever tournament he enters.
Humidity or no. Rafa is still in his prime.. he still is only 29 .. but he has Ferrer up his backside challenging for the No 5 spot.. an incredible warrior with not a slam to his name.. Don't let me have to find more excuses for the man I believe to be one of the greatest players of all time... he and you are in denial.. humidity my ars@

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 16 Feb 2016, 3:56 pm

It doesn't work like that. Rafa doesn't have to win BA or Rio to do well later in the year. Rafa doesn't need excuses because he's proved what he can do. If he didn't believe he could win big again I doubt he would be working so hard to make it happen. He still has the same two legs, two arms and tennis brain that he's always had and like you say he is still 29 (not prime but in today's tennis landscape prime enough) which is enough to make him a credible contender in any tournament.

Also Ferrer lost for the first time ever in BA to Almagro. Not sure how Federer would have coped with the conditions in BA. Didn't he play two smaller clay court tournaments after losing to Stakhovsky in the 2nd round of Wimbledon in 2013? Lost in the semi's of one to Delbonis (ranked 114) and in his first match of the second to Brands (ranked 55).

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next