The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

+41
Samo
Brendan
westisbest
Heaf
BamBam
Old Man
RiscaGame
formerly known as Sam
Jimmy Moz
king_carlos
chris_501
funnyExiledScot
Luckless Pedestrian
CaptainHaddock
sensisball
George Carlin
doctor_grey
Hazel Sapling
Noble-Surfer
No9
R!skysports
Highland Shaun
Cyril
flyhalffactory
No 7&1/2
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
BigGee
EST
Oakdene
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mikey_dragon
RDW
Anglobraveheart
whatahitson
Collapse2005
TightHEAD
majesticimperialman
tigertattie
bsando
45 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 Empty France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

Post by bsando Sun 21 Mar 2021, 5:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

France vs Scotland

Stade de France
Friday 26th of March 2021
KO: 20:00
Referee: Wayne "Barnesy" Barnes (England)
TV Coverage: Live on BBC

Teams

France
15-Brice Dulin, 14-Damian Penaud, 13-Virimi Vakatawa, 12-Arthur Vincent, 11-Gael Fickou, 10-Romain Ntamack, 9-Antoine Dupont; 1-Cyril Baille, 2- Julien Marchand, 3-Mohamed Haouas, 4- Bernard Le Roux, 5-Swan Rebbadj, 6-Anthony Jelonch, Charles Ollivon (capt), 8-Gregory Alldritt.

Replacements: 16-Camille Chat, 17-Jean-Baptiste Gros, 18-Uini Atonio, 19-Romain Taofifenua, 20-Dylan Cretin, 21-Baptiste Serin, 22-Anthony Bouthier, 23-Teddy Thomas.

Scotland
15-Stuart Hogg (capt), 14-Darcy Graham, 13-Chris Harris, 12-Sam Johnson, 11-Duhan van der Merwe, 10-Finn Russell, 9-Ali Price; 1-Rory Sutherland, 2-George Turner, 3-Zander Fagerson, 4-Sam Skinner, 5-Grant Gilchrist, 6-Jamie Ritchie, 7-Hamish Watson, 8-Matt Fagerson

Replacements: 16-Dave Cherry, 17-Oli Kebble, 18-Simon Berghan, 19-Alex Craig, 20-Nick Haining, 21-Scott Steele, 22-Adam Hastings, 23-Huw Jones

The fate of Welsh rugby being in Scottish hands is the big talking point after a dramatic and gut wrenching end to Wales Grand Slam hopes. You can read about all the possible title winning scenarios by following this link >>> https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2021/03/21/scenarios-how-the-guinness-six-nations-title-will-be-decided-by-france-v-scotland/

Scotland

It's a tournament that started so promisingly. A chance of winning a 6N title, ultimately coming down to a tap tackle on DVDM against Wales. Had Scotland won that match and gained 5 points with a BP last gasp score, Scots fans could have been tuning in to watch their team fight it out with France for the title themselves this weekend, even after losing to Ireland at home.

For Scottish fans it is still a crucial match for the following reasons...

The opportunity for Scotland to finish 2nd for the first time in Six Nations history (Our best result being 3rd in 2001, 2006, 2013 and 2018)

The possibility of a first away win to France since 1999

Scottish Lions selection

And on a secondary note, a good win could put Hogg in contention for Player of the Championship for a third time (equalling Brian O'Driscoll's record).

Stats from the 2021 Six Nations

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/overview/?FixGuid=20FS4243#overview

France and Scotland have very similar statistics after four matches played. Both teams have scored 15 tries a piece, both have made a similar amount of line breaks and scrums and turnovers won. France have a slightly higher return rate per visit to the opposition 22 than Scotland do and nine more dominant tackles. Scotland have a better defensive record with less tackles missed.

Last edited by bsando on Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 Empty Re: France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

Post by Oakdene Wed 24 Mar 2021, 2:25 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:The issues with Dulin and the high ball is something we have to target. Fickou is a centre rather than a wing and is also someone we can have a go at.

Fairly lean second row compared to normal, looks like they may be targeting the line out.

Expect Fickou to come in for the ball a lot & serve as another option off 10.

Oakdene

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 Empty Re: France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!)

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 Mar 2021, 3:37 pm

Conservative selections from toonie. Getting a rep for that now.

Jones on the bench I can understand with Harris the defensive hardest working man in world rugby there to try and stop the french all out attack.

Why price has been given the nod is beyond me. Steele was solid bs Italy with crisp service. Benching him now to bring on the liability that is Ali price is just mind boggling

Anyone for waffles?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Oakdene likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Mar 2021, 4:31 pm

If Russell is able to light it up then he can out France the French. I really think this game comes down to the halfbacks and hope Scotland can pull it off.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 24 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

Having read the last 3 pages, there is a lot of snarking and baiting on this thread which, as I get older, I have increasingly little time for. Bores the bejeezers out of me. If you can't be pleasant, do us all a favour and bugger off to start a flame war on Twitter about the substandard quality of Kardashian anal bleaching or something.

Cannot believe Harris and Price are in there again. Again, does point to Toonie having the same weakness as a lot of other coaches today - you can be a great coach but a poor selector. Hopefully St Shug will be thrown on if we're chasing the game and our midfield strategy of using Harris to bore France to death isn't working. Fabulous to see Zander back - he will be raring to go. The pack makes me happy generally - Gilchrist is playing for his place as Gray the Younger is nailed on and everyone's favourite foetus Scott Cummings has surpassed my expectations for what he could contribute as a test lock.

Hamish Watson was topping (or coming close to topping) the stats charts for loose forwards last week and he still has a 'game in hand'. I just hope that he puts in another bezerker game and doesn't pick up any injuries.

No idea how i feel about our chances. You must score tries to beat this French side and we are as well equipped as any home nation to do just that. The margins separating the teams in the last few games have been 11, 17, 8, 8 and 9 points respectively so I'm not sure why (as some people are suggesting) it will be a cricket score one way or the other. Good luck to both sides - for the neutrals it could well be the most entertaining game in the whole tournament.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

bsando, jimbopip and Derek Smalls like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 24 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm

The one name in the French pack i was hoping to still be absent was that of Bernard Le Roux. France have missed his massive defensive work rate in the last 2 matches. I thought Rebbadj was excellent, in lineout and general play when he came on fairly early doors due to Taofifenoa's injury. A much more mobile, although less bulky pair than the locks who started last week.
The two players from the bench who made the biggest impact in the final quarter were Jelonch and Vincent and they have earnt starting spots for Friday. With Sean Edwards able to work with the squad this week, having been absent in the match build up due to a close family bereavement last week, France look like a marginally stronger team.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 24 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm

George Carlin wrote:Having read the last 3 pages, there is a lot of snarking and baiting on this thread which, as I get older, I have increasingly little time for. Bores the bejeezers out of me. If you can't be pleasant, do us all a favour and bugger off to start a flame war on Twitter about the substandard quality of Kardashian anal bleaching or something.

Cannot believe Harris and Price are in there again. Again, does point to Toonie having the same weakness as a lot of other coaches today - you can be a great coach but a poor selector. Hopefully St Shug will be thrown on if we're chasing the game and our midfield strategy of using Harris to bore France to death isn't working. Fabulous to see Zander back - he will be raring to go. The pack makes me happy generally - Gilchrist is playing for his place as Gray the Younger is nailed on and everyone's favourite foetus Scott Cummings has surpassed my expectations for what he could contribute as a test lock.

Hamish Watson was topping (or coming close to topping) the stats charts for loose forwards last week and he still has a 'game in hand'. I just hope that he puts in another bezerker game and doesn't pick up any injuries.

No idea how i feel about our chances. You must score tries to beat this French side and we are as well equipped as any home nation to do just that. The margins separating the teams in the last few games have been 11, 17, 8, 8 and 9 points respectively so I'm not sure why (as some people are suggesting) it will be a cricket score one way or the other. Good luck to both sides - for the neutrals it could well be the most entertaining game in the whole tournament.

Not wishing to snarl at you oh Sandy desert dwelling one but Zander actually
Came back last weekend

Kisses
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainHaddock Wed 24 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

I think we have a great opportunity to put down a marker and show the teams potential. Equally I'm quite nervous that we'll do the exeact opposite and "yet again" prove that we flatter to decieve and can't close out the big games.

I'm also pretty nervous with Wayne Barnes being in charge as I've never thought that we get the rub of the green with him.

CaptainHaddock

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 24 Mar 2021, 9:29 pm

No surprises from Toonie then, which probably shouldn't have been a surprise in itself. That French pack isn't quite as gargantuan as it could of been so I'm slightly less worried about our small pack.

We've got decent physicality to come off the bench and came changers in the backs, so probably about as good as we could have gone for at this stage.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 24 Mar 2021, 9:48 pm

CaptainHaddock wrote:I think we have a great opportunity to put down a marker and show the teams potential. Equally I'm quite nervous that we'll do the exact opposite and "yet again" prove that we flatter to deceive and can't close out the big games.

I'm also pretty nervous with Wayne Barnes being in charge as I've never thought that we get the rub of the green with him.

To be fair to Barnes, he is consistent. He likes a clean ruck where usually we like to make a mess with Ritchie, Watson and one of our hookers (what a sentence).

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:30 pm

I think toonie should have brought back Wilson to get a couple of French player wound up and sent off ;-)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:32 pm

Ritchie's face did a good job of that last time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:32 pm

Scotland possession % is probably going to be above 60% in this game.

Any hope of winning relies on them being able to turn control of the ball in to actual pressure, and pressure in to points.

It could be a big game for Hastings Jr.

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 24 Mar 2021, 10:39 pm

Noble-Surfer wrote:While I want to echo the sentiments of the thread title as strongly as possible, I have to cringe at the use of Google translate!

Tyrd ymlaen Yr Alban! / Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!

(Sorry bsando!)

Ahhh busted! Laugh I should know better, my girlfriend is a french teacher

bsando

Noble-Surfer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Mar 2021, 11:31 pm

George Carlin wrote:If you can't be pleasant, do us all a favour and bugger off to start a flame war on Twitter about the substandard quality of Kardashian anal bleaching or something.
The man is unquestionably right.
However, for levity, I can show you pictures how that is done (the bleaching not the twitter).  It is a most interesting procedure, it involves a sheep, some cooking oil, and.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:23 am

RDW wrote:Ritchie's face did a good job of that last time!

Looking at it again I think that was accidental  Whistle

France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 11128791

https://rugby365.com/countries/france/the-punch-that-shocked-the-world/
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:25 am

Laugh

"But sir, I was just holding my arm out in the air to give it a bit of a stretch and he had the audacity to headbutt my fist"

What a great photo that is - the photographer would be delighted with it at the time.

RDW
Founder
Founder

flyhalffactory likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:11 am

OK amigos, here's the bright side: we will finish above England France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f339 regardless of the result on Friday night. France France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f429 have looked unbelievably good this year but actually lost to England and were within 30 seconds of losing to Wales France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f432 . All is not lost.

If the French don't blow teams away then they seem to struggle to shake them off. So, first thing is to stay in the game as long as possible, don't allow them to indulge their narcissistic "rugby is a game for artistic self expressionists" nonsense.

Second thing is to score points whenever possible.

Now the bad news. France have tended, when kicking, to put the ball off the park rather than keeping it in play like us. So our hopes of winning will lean heavily on Turner hitting GG and Principal in the line out. Ah well.

Against Wales France seemed to stop kicking in the last 15 minutes and pretty much ran everything up through the centres. Wales were unable to get their hands on the ball, when they did they were deep in their own half and box kicked it back to France, and the only question was when would France score.
So Plan A; France kick lots, Turner has a mare again and they're winning lineout ball in our half. Crying or Very sad
Plan B; Fickou comes off his wing, they overload the 12 channel, smash into Johnson, James McBrown gets sucked in, quick ball to Vakatawa and VDM's defensive nous is put under the microscope. Sad Crying or Very sad

OR
Plan A we kick to put them in awkward territory (hereafter known as The Twickers Gambit), they try to run it out from deep, Mbawza and Hamish have a field day at the breakdown. French discipline crumbles like a stale croissant and The Red Card Sweepstake pays out to whoever drew number 3.
Plan B We keep pinning them back in their 22, they kick off the field, GG has the game of his life, we run their big forwards ragged, on the hour Haircut to 10, Dancer to 12, Shug to 13, Haining at 8 and it's a Blitzkreig Bop. N.B. I have serious doubts about Haircut after has last two "performances" for Glasgow. They were performances in the same way Yoko Ono's primal screams were singing.)

Joking aside, this match will be a test of mental strength as much as anything. There is a scene in The Hustler where the tyro Fast Eddie is playing the old champ Minnesota Fats and he says, "Admit it, I'm the best you've ever seen. I'm wiping the floor with you and even if you win you know I'm the best. I'm better than you." Minnesota's manager immediately doubles the stakes and says "Take him! The kid's a loser." France did that sort of thing against England; they looked arrogant and dismissive and wonderfully talented but England took them. If Scotland can stick to the script and refuse to be overwhelmed by either French insouciance or Scottish fear of success then we can take them too. If we're not mentally strong enough they will shred us.

It's just that I have this feeling that a hooker coming off a nightmare against Ireland and a walking Hair Gel endorsement could be the load bearing pillars for us. France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f60e

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:22 am

Where's all this sensible rugby chat come from Jimbo?

(Excellent post btw)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:35 am

Thanks Flounder France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f420
Did you know there are emojis now?
Emojis, White Toblerone, winning at Twickers. We're living in a golden time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:19 am

doctor_grey wrote:
George Carlin wrote:If you can't be pleasant, do us all a favour and bugger off to start a flame war on Twitter about the substandard quality of Kardashian anal bleaching or something.
The man is unquestionably right.  
However, for levity, I can show you pictures how that is done (the bleaching not the twitter).  It is a most interesting procedure, it involves a sheep, some cooking oil, and.....
Hug
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:22 am

jimbopip wrote:OK amigos, here's the bright side: we will finish above England France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f339  regardless of the result on Friday night. France France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f429  have looked unbelievably good this year but actually lost to England and were within 30 seconds of losing to Wales France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f432 . All is not lost.

If the French don't blow teams away then they seem to struggle to shake them off. So, first thing is to stay in the game as long as possible, don't allow them to indulge their narcissistic "rugby is a game for artistic self expressionists" nonsense.

Second thing is to score points whenever possible.

Now the bad news. France have tended, when kicking, to put the ball off the park rather than keeping it in play like us. So our hopes of winning will lean heavily on Turner hitting GG and Principal in the line out. Ah well.

Against Wales France seemed to stop kicking in the last 15 minutes and pretty much ran everything up through the centres. Wales were unable to get their hands on the ball, when they did they were deep in their own half and box kicked it back to France, and the only question was when would France score.
So Plan A; France kick lots, Turner has a mare again and they're winning lineout ball in our half. Crying or Very sad
Plan B; Fickou comes off his wing, they overload the 12 channel, smash into Johnson, James McBrown gets sucked in, quick ball to Vakatawa and VDM's defensive nous is put under the microscope.  Sad  Crying or Very sad

OR
Plan A we kick to put them in awkward territory (hereafter known as The Twickers Gambit), they try to run it out from deep, Mbawza and Hamish have a field day at the breakdown. French discipline crumbles like a stale croissant and The Red Card Sweepstake pays out to whoever drew number 3.
Plan B We keep pinning them back in their 22, they kick off the field, GG has the game of his life, we run their big forwards ragged, on the hour Haircut to 10, Dancer to 12, Shug to 13, Haining at 8 and it's a Blitzkreig Bop. N.B. I have serious doubts about Haircut after has last two "performances" for Glasgow. They were performances in the same way Yoko Ono's primal screams were singing.)

Joking aside, this match will be a test of mental strength as much as anything. There is a scene in The Hustler where the tyro Fast Eddie is playing the old champ Minnesota Fats and he says, "Admit it, I'm the best you've ever seen. I'm wiping the floor with you and even if you win you know I'm the best. I'm better than you." Minnesota's manager immediately doubles the stakes and says "Take him! The kid's a loser." France did that sort of thing against England; they looked arrogant and dismissive and wonderfully talented but England took them. If Scotland can stick to the script and refuse to be overwhelmed by either French insouciance  or Scottish fear of success then we can take them too. If we're not mentally strong enough they will shred us.

It's just that I have this feeling that a hooker coming off a nightmare against Ireland and a walking Hair Gel endorsement could be the load bearing pillars for us. France vs Scotland (Dewch ymlaen Yr Alban!) - Page 3 1f60e
At least 3 x expressions there that I have never heard before but which I will use regularly now.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 25 Mar 2021, 12:57 pm

Just marking this thread, don't mind me!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:07 pm

Matt Fagerson drops out with an ankle injury unfortunately

Haining to start and the old Warrior Ryan Wilson comes into the squad and straight onto the bench. That should allow him to pick up his 50th cap, which he deserves.

It will be good to see what kind of form Haining can bring from the off, he seems to be another who has been getting up to speed recently

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:10 pm

Just noticed that the 6 Nations title will be SHARED if France win by 20 clear points (so equal of points diff) scoring exactly 5 trys (getting a TBP and drawing level with try count with Wales)... WTF.. I thought the purpose of having BPs in this tournament was so that it wasnt shared from now on, and that the trophy could be awarded.

So why stop splitting after the try count, if level there, why not count RED cards then YELLOW (with least cards winning). Its barmy...

Personally, I dont think it will get to Try count, but in all honesty, considering France has to win with a try BP, its not impossible to score another 1 to drawer, if points diff is there or there abouts..

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:13 pm

BigGee wrote:Matt Fagerson drops out with an ankle injury unfortunately

Haining to start and the old Warrior Ryan Wilson comes into the squad and straight onto the bench. That should allow him to pick up his 50th cap, which he deserves.

It will be good to see what kind of form Haining can bring from the off, he seems to be another who has been getting up to speed recently

Erm ... do you want to play a Cardiff blues Scottish player, called Josh McNavidi ... he qualifies.. honest Whistle

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 1:15 pm

TJ wrote:I think toonie should have brought back Wilson to get a couple of French player wound up and sent off ;-)

Welcome back Batman. You just know he's got his nose in a French dictionary working out how to say ," Oi Antoine your bird's muff smells like my old socks."

Cometh the hour cometh the (Bat)man.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 25 Mar 2021, 2:49 pm

Well deserved to Wilson who has had a good season trying to drag Glasgow to respectability. He looked mentally exhausted against the Dragons so hoping the Scotland badge and having to only get himself going for 20 minutes works.

Haining was a bit penalty prone as he tried to do too much. Fingers crossed, he can come in and be effective without giving too much away.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 25 Mar 2021, 6:26 pm

Haining is a solid carrier and has an offloading game as well. Excited to see how he takes this opportunity. He’ll hopefully add a bit of his trademark aggression. That was the backrow against France last six nations and they did very well in that game. Let’s hope for another strong game, glad to hear the players are fired up for the contest going by various interviews and podcasts this week.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 25 Mar 2021, 7:00 pm

Jeebus wept

Wilson. In 2021. Wilson????

That’s a backward step from our already horrendously poor quality options at 8

Where is mildly racist uncle Dougie when you need him?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 7:23 pm

So, MrsPip has a birthday this weekend and the kids have purchased a Zoom conference cooking pish dinner extravaganza from from Da Dan the farm shop man ( also probably the best scrum half I played alongside). The ingredients, including wine, are delivered in the morning and Dan conducts a cooking masterclass while we cook along in our kitchens. The only fly in the salad dressing? It kicks off at 7:00 tomorrow evening.
This means I shall maintain radio silence until after I have watched the recording.
Tigertattie, Batman has been carrying Glasgow this season. If he gets on tomorrow he will really piss the French off . That's all we can ask.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 25 Mar 2021, 7:36 pm

Plus one for Wilson

Yes his time with Scotland is pretty much done, but boy has he put it in for Glasgow this season.

Let him have his 50th cap, he really does deserve it. A player who always turns up, no matter who he is playing for.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm

That should be POSH dinner not posh.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:03 pm

I will be with you as well on radio (and social media) silence Jim, as I will be working so watching on replay it has to be.

Hopefully no-one sends me any text updates

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:07 pm

Gee, how are things at the coal face?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:21 pm

jimbopip wrote:Gee, how are things at the coal face?

Things are much better now thanks Jim.

At my hospital, we are nearly back to normal. We no longer have any red pts in ITU and only one ward left, which is not particularly busy. In April we will get our elective surgery pathway back up and running, which will be a big step towards normality.

I am trying my hardest to slip back into part time work again and finally work out what it is like to be retired!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 25 Mar 2021, 8:24 pm

Legend Gee. That’s all there is to say!
tigertattie
tigertattie

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:17 pm

Yet again I find myself agreeing with Tigertattie. There must be some kind of therapy available to help me.
If Gee and I are absent tomorrow don't think about spending the evening blaming everything on the Glasgow players. The only way we win is if GG bullies the French pack mercilessly.
I can't wait to see that after a slap up chippy and six bottles of wine.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:34 pm

Ryan flippin Wilson!! Seriously!!

Gee sums him up nicely: he always turns up. Yes, being physically present on the pitch is about the nicest thing I can say about him. At his peak, on top form, he's a 5/10 international player.

Still, at least Toonie has rolled the dice and picked Jones at 13. Oh wait, no, he's gone journeyman there as well.

I know I'm harsh on Harris. He always turns up as well, and he'll make his tackles again no doubt, like every international centre should. That's it though.

Anyway, what's gone on with Maitland? Did his expression of surprise at being subbed to allow Hogg back at fullback spill into something else I wonder? I'm perfectly happy to see Graham on the wing, but if I had to make a conservative choice it would have been Maitland for Graham rather than Harris for Jones.

I fear for us tomorrow. Dupont, Ntamack and Co will be switching it on for this one.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:48 pm

No Biggee and Jimbo during the game? The grownups are away - time to have an empty! guinness guinness guinness cider RedWine RedWine RedWine RedWine vomit vomit vomit

Just no one take a dump in the kettle.

Anyway, I'm pleased for Ryan Wilson to get his 50th - for all his limitations as a player (and there were many) he gave his all for Scotland and that's all you can really ask for.

He will also go in the history books as being one of the most hated players in the 6N era! That's a good thing as I am concerned - for too long we've been saying how Scotland players are too nice and we need some proper ar5eholes who can really wind up and disrupt the opposition (let's face it, the other nations have had their own versions). He's particularly hated in Ireland and England it has to be said.

I don't know how many people watch his RugbyPass videos but there was a funny one where he was saying how he was banned from Twickenham after the 2018 Calcutta Cup game! Apparently he was booked to appear at an event there and was called to say he was not welcome on the premises! Laugh

he did query whether that would apply to him in a playing capacity as well but he never had a chance to test it afterwards.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 25 Mar 2021, 9:51 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ryan flippin Wilson!! Seriously!!

Gee sums him up nicely: he always turns up. Yes, being physically present on the pitch is about the nicest thing I can say about him. At his peak, on top form, he's a 5/10 international player.

Still, at least Toonie has rolled the dice and picked Jones at 13. Oh wait, no, he's gone journeyman there as well.

I know I'm harsh on Harris. He always turns up as well, and he'll make his tackles again no doubt, like every international centre should. That's it though.

Anyway, what's gone on with Maitland? Did his expression of surprise at being subbed to allow Hogg back at fullback spill into something else I wonder? I'm perfectly happy to see Graham on the wing, but if I had to make a conservative choice it would have been Maitland for Graham rather than Harris for Jones.

I fear for us tomorrow. Dupont, Ntamack and Co will be switching it on for this one.

PRL were only paid to release 5 players, so Toonie had to leave him out.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Mar 2021, 10:03 pm

Cheers for the explanation, makes sense I guess. Graham should be fine.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 25 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm

I am amazed how close France v Scotland stats are in this years 6Ns

FRANCE SCOTLAND
117  Total Points  111
15  Tries  15
12  Conversions  12
3  Missed Conversions  3
6  Penalties  4
2  Missed Penalties  3
1  Missed Drop Goals  2
11.33  Points/visit to opposition 22  9.82
436  Carries  549
26  Line breaks  30
39  Offloads  27
515  Passes  635
13  Knock Ons  7
13  Turnovers Won  16
2  Yellow Cards  1
1  Red Cards  1
727 Attempted Tackles 480
648 Tackles Made 444
79 Tackles Missed 36
25 Dominant Tackles 18
21 Scrums Won 21
54 Lineouts won 41
6 Lineouts Stolen 6
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Luckless Pedestrian, bsando and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 26 Mar 2021, 7:38 am

Exactly! I pointed that out in the writeup for this thread. Incredible isn't it? Just shows how close Scotland are to competing for the title now.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:11 am

So far this 6N Scotland have looked their best when they get a strong start. I hope they can start well like they did against England.

Graham provides an extra spark in attack and Harris replacing Jones means defence is as good as it can be in that midfield. Graham at his best is very good at looking for work and will keep busy, as will Hogg. DVDM will hopefully be like a great white shark, lurking in the deep waiting for his moment to strike.

Russell and Hogg kicked beautifully against England so if they can keep their kicking game at the same level as that it will cause France a lot of problems.

I doubt Scotland will boot it high often despite pundits saying it would be an area to target. That game plan suits Wales because Williams and Adams are both excellent in the air. Graham and DVDM are so-so. Kick chase will still be important but I am expecting more of an open style of play with the ball going through the hands, lots of kicking for territory and attack minded kicks such as grubbers and chips from Russell and Hogg.

It's hard to say how this will go but if Scotland can get a stranglehold on the game in the first twenty minutes that will help them settle. Like NZ, this France side can be a bit subdued then suddenly explode into life through an excellent set piece move. Scotland therefore have to keep the scoreboard ticking over and capitalise on their chances better.

The penalty count was far too high against Italy and Wales, so if they can get on Barnsy's good side early doors that will hopefully ensure they keep the penalty count low.

Keep an eye out on the breakdown tonight, Barnes tends to blows his whistle fairly early for penalty infringements so it is a day for Ritchie and Watson to target the breakdown. On the flip side, Barnes will be hot on side entries and challenging for the ball off feet. Ritchie can be a little loose here at times so he'll need to be careful.

In Summary..

Must capitalise on their chances
Hogg and Russell must kick well
Scotland must be prepared for surges in French dominance and be able to ride that attacking storm
Improve line out and set piece
Reduce penalty count to Rd 1 stats (6 vs England, 13 vs Wales, 9 vs Ireland, 16 vs Italy)
Target the breakdown

bsando

flyhalffactory, EST and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 26 Mar 2021, 10:42 am

France will go all out in the 1st half to get the tries BP. Scotland need to be disruptive and stop the flow of the game, if they try and play they will get burnt.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:21 am

bsando wrote:So far this 6N Scotland have looked their best when they get a strong start. I hope they can start well like they did against England.

Graham provides an extra spark in attack and Harris replacing Jones means defence is as good as it can be in that midfield. Graham at his best is very good at looking for work and will keep busy, as will Hogg. DVDM will hopefully be like a great white shark, lurking in the deep waiting for his moment to strike.

Russell and Hogg kicked beautifully against England so if they can keep their kicking game at the same level as that it will cause France a lot of problems.

I doubt Scotland will boot it high often despite pundits saying it would be an area to target. That game plan suits Wales because Williams and Adams are both excellent in the air. Graham and DVDM are so-so. Kick chase will still be important but I am expecting more of an open style of play with the ball going through the hands, lots of kicking for territory and attack minded kicks such as grubbers and chips from Russell and Hogg.

It's hard to say how this will go but if Scotland can get a stranglehold on the game in the first twenty minutes that will help them settle. Like NZ, this France side can be a bit subdued then suddenly explode into life through an excellent set piece move. Scotland therefore have to keep the scoreboard ticking over and capitalise on their chances better.

The penalty count was far too high against Italy and Wales, so if they can get on Barnsy's good side early doors that will hopefully ensure they keep the penalty count low.

Keep an eye out on the breakdown tonight, Barnes tends to blows his whistle fairly early for penalty infringements so it is a day for Ritchie and Watson to target the breakdown. On the flip side, Barnes will be hot on side entries and challenging for the ball off feet. Ritchie can be a little loose here at times so he'll need to be careful.

In Summary..

Must capitalise on their chances
Hogg and Russell must kick well
Scotland must be prepared for surges in French dominance and be able to ride that attacking storm
Improve line out and set piece
Reduce penalty count to Rd 1 stats (6 vs England, 13 vs Wales, 9 vs Ireland, 16 vs Italy)
Target the breakdown

Brilliant assessment. Top man

Toonie has made some brave but great calls
Turner
Set piece particularly the lineout we were awful against Ireland but superb against England. We need to win our set-piece, Turner needs to replicate that performance.
Harris/Jones
I'm a massive Harris fan, offensively we don't give him enough credit, you'll see him gatecrashing the opposition defence, sucking in 2-3 players and is always supporting the risk taking 10/12 channel aka Finn/Sam. No Maits situation means Jones has to cover 13/14/15 from the bench, hopefully there'll be no injuries to Graham/Hogg/Harris but I think he'll replace Johnson if the game is tight otherwise if France are tiring/demoralised then he'll replace Harris with a "speed assassin" role
Price
Experienced and when on top of his game he is still our best option. He is still a borderline Lions so he has to crank it up

In my mind Finn has had a poor tournament, he's gone from the nailed on Lions 10 to being behind Biggar/Sexton, he has to be more mature in his mindset.

Finally I still think France are one moment away from a Red Card 2 , our pack has to frustrate the hell out of their front 5 and we need Richie to hound Dupont to distraction

We have a damn good chance

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:23 am

BigGee wrote:Plus one for Wilson

Yes his time with Scotland is pretty much done, but boy has he put it in for Glasgow this season.

Let him have his 50th cap, he really does deserve it. A player who always turns up, no matter who he is playing for.

Yeah, I agree.

I have been a vocal critic of Wilson over his international career, but his effort and willingness to put his body on the line for Scotland can't be doubted. He has turned up game after for game for Glasgow this season, playing 30 odd games on the spin, and you can tell given the amount of strapping he has each game.

He certainly isn't the future, but he deserves his 50th cap.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 26 Mar 2021, 11:33 am

EST wrote:
BigGee wrote:Plus one for Wilson

Yeah, I agree.

I have been a vocal critic of Wilson over his international career, but his effort and willingness to put his body on the line for Scotland can't be doubted.  He has turned up game after for game for Glasgow this season, playing 30 odd games on the spin, and you can tell given the amount of strapping he has each game.

He certainly isn't the future, but he deserves his 50th cap.

Agree, he has given his all for the Scottish cause.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 26 Mar 2021, 6:56 pm

Up to my neck in balsamic reduction but my thoughts are with you guys. Have fun and shout at the telly.

jimbopip

flyhalffactory and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Fri 26 Mar 2021, 7:40 pm

Good luck tonight chaps, I’ll be cheering you on, partly for Wales, partly because I like the way you have been playing but mainly due to the arrogance of Galthie.

chris_501

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next