The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England: Autumn Internationals

+44
Phil
dummy_half
alfie
Heaf
BigGee
Margin_Walker
RDW
tazfalklands
mikey_dragon
Exiledinborders
nathan
broadlandboy
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
nlpnlp
rosbif
Hazel Sapling
No9
MichaelT
Hoonercat
Collapse2005
Soul Requiem
miltonkeynesengland
Cumbrian
BigTrevsbigmac
hugehandoff
king_carlos
Old Man
Sgt_Pooly
propdavid_london
yappysnap
cb
tigertattie
doctor_grey
Rugby Fan
No 7&1/2
WELL-PAST-IT
Sharkey06
Mr Bounce
BamBam
Poorfour
lostinwales
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
48 posters

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next

Go down

England: Autumn Internationals - Page 9 Empty England: Autumn Internationals

Post by Geordie Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

England squad for autumn Tests:

Forwards: Jamie Blamire (Newcastle), Callum Chick (Newcastle), Jamie George (Saracens), Tom Curry (Sale), Trevor Davison (Newcastle), Nic Dolly (Leicester), Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins), Charlie Ewels (Bath), Ellis Genge (Leicester), Jonny Hill (Exeter), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton), Joe Marler (Harlequins), George Martin (Leicester), Sam Simmonds (Exeter), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol), Will Stuart (Bath), Sam Underhill (Bath)

Backs: Mark Atkinson (Gloucester), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Tommy Freeman (Northampton), George Furbank (Northampton), Max Malins (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester), Raffi Quirke (Sale), Adam Radwan (Newcastle), Harry Randall (Bristol), Henry Slade (Exeter), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Freddie Steward (Leicester), Manu Tuilagi (Sale), Joe Marchant (Quins), Ben Youngs (Leicester)

In Positions:
1.Marler, Genge
2.George, Blamire, Dolly
3.Sinckler, Stuart, Davison
4.Itoje, Hill
5.Lawes, Ewels
6.Curry, Martin
7.Underhill, Ludlam
8.Dombrandt, Simmonds, Chick

9.Youngs, Randall, Quirke
10.Smith

11.May, Radwan
12.Farrell, Atkinson
13.Tuilagi, Slade
14.Freeman, Marchant
15.Steward, Malins, Furbank
-------------------------------------------------
England v Tonga - 6th November
England v Australia - 13th November
England v South Africa - 20th November

Geordie

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

England: Autumn Internationals - Page 9 Empty Re: England: Autumn Internationals

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:28 pm

How much better did Slade look after Smith come on though. Yes the eternal it was against Tonga but he was getting space wider and actually made use of it. Smith should be given the reins now against Aus for me. But Ford should also come onto the bench.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

England: Autumn Internationals - Page 9 Empty Re: England: Autumn Internationals

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:31 pm

Scrub that. Just read Farrell had a false positive so back with the squad. Would like to see Smith Farrell tuilagi then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Scrub that. Just read Farrell had a false positive so back with the squad. Would like to see Smith Farrell tuilagi then.

That's a licence to break Manu, Farrell is no running threat, so all the defence will target Manu, if Smith puts Farrell into space as a result, he will get caught by the cover defence before he makes headway, if he skips Farrell, they are ready and waiting, unless you have someone coming back into the line and "against the grain" we will get nowhere. This is Australia, they will be waiting for such a move. I cannot see Smith and Farrell working unless we have a JJ outside, possibly Marchant, a proper strike runner.

Farrell may bring a lot to the team in terms of management and leadership, but should not be there if it is to the detriment of the playing style. For me it is either Smith or Farrell not both.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:06 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Scrub that. Just read Farrell had a false positive so back with the squad. Would like to see Smith Farrell tuilagi then.

That's a licence to break Manu, Farrell is no running threat, so all the defence will target Manu, if Smith puts Farrell into space as a result, he will get caught by the cover defence before he makes headway, if he skips Farrell, they are ready and waiting, unless you have someone coming back into the line and "against the grain" we will get nowhere. This is Australia, they will be waiting for such a move. I cannot see Smith and Farrell working unless we have a JJ outside, possibly Marchant, a proper strike runner.

Farrell may bring a lot to the team in terms of management and leadership, but should not be there if it is to the detriment of the playing style. For me it is either Smith or Farrell not both.

For me it's Slade or Farrell but not both. And I think Farell is a much better player.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:07 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:How much better did Slade look after Smith come on though. Yes the eternal it was against Tonga but he was getting space wider and actually made use of it. Smith should be given the reins now against Aus for me. But Ford should also come onto the bench.

It was also later into the match when Tonga were getting pretty tired, I would like to see what they can do against a fresh tier 1 side.

Has Ford been a good little swot and learnt all the things that Jones told him he had to improve on (don't know what they were, as he looked to have most things except size), he has always looked pretty good to me, even going backwards as he had to with the pre-Borthwick Leicester.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:08 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

For me it's Slade or Farrell but not both. And I think Farell is a much better player.

So, if Farrell, who outside him?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Tuilagi.

Re Ford I don't think he'll have much to do tbh. I think Jones wanted Smith in the squad without Ford there as well, just basically preferred and from the sounds of it Farrell was the main 10 with Smith behind him so if Ford were there too less time training at 10. And from that you'll guess I'm more hopeful than certain Farrell will be at 12 and not 10.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Ford, Farrell, Tuilagi is very similar to Smith, Farrell, Tuilagi. The former did not work well, what makes you think that  Smith over Ford will be any different. Smith may be or may be not a better 10 than Ford, but the problem was and would remain at 12.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:20 pm

The former didn't work well? Really? When?

Big problem for will remain youngs at 9 but then the balance of a midfield of Farell and Slade doesn't work at all. But Ford farell tuilagi for me works excellently.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:02 pm

We should at least have a good set piece platform next week. Aus look very shaky in the scrum albeit they have been a touch unlucky with injuries.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:03 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:How much better did Slade look after Smith come on though. Yes the eternal it was against Tonga but he was getting space wider and actually made use of it. Smith should be given the reins now against Aus for me. But Ford should also come onto the bench.

It was also later into the match when Tonga were getting pretty tired, I would like to see what they can do against a fresh tier 1 side.

Has Ford been a good little swot and learnt all the things that Jones told him he had to improve on (don't know what they were, as he looked to have most things except size), he has always looked pretty good to me, even going backwards as he had to with the pre-Borthwick Leicester.

I imagine his work on was don't be partly broken so that you miss half the training sessions and are ticking along at 75%. Ford was decent last season but now fully fit this season he's been outstanding. It might be why he's omitted this Autumn. It means he now gets some time off over the PRC which might just help him over the course of the season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:05 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:The former didn't work well? Really? When?

Big problem for will remain youngs at 9 but then the balance of a midfield of Farell and Slade doesn't work at all. But Ford farell tuilagi for me works excellently.

Scored tries, created tries and was generally tidy yesterday. Hopefully Rafi Quirke is fit to come off the bench Vs Australia and apply some pressure to the starting shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:07 pm

Against Tonga. Would love for him to go through a great run of form, learn how to improve his passing etc but at this stage of his career I doubt it will happen. I'm sure he'll stick around but would love a false positive for him next week.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:07 pm

The issue is Tuilagi, we just can't build past him.

Any of the following is strong:

10. Smith/Ford/Farrell
12. Manu/Farrell
13. Slade/Manu

Personally I'd like to see the 1st given a go. I think Smith can do things the other 2 can't, even as much as I rate Ford.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:08 pm

As an aside Mitchell did really well from the bench yesterday.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Mitchell has been watching Youngs to much, he tends to have the same step before passing, but the ball fizzes out, unlike Youngs who struggles to get a quick pass out more than 15m. The difference other than the pass is as good as Youngs is at sniping, Mitchell is a mile quicker and has the pace to get up and support even the quickest runners or make the break and give an accurate offload, not toss the ball into space hoping someone is there. Not the finished article, but that extra pace makes him a bit like Reinach, not perfect, but if he is in space, you will have trouble catching him.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:21 pm

I thought Youngs looked really good yesterday (Sam please take note). His passing wasn't amazing, but ok. I thought his speed around the park was good, he did the basics well and looked a threat. He actually looked like he's lost a bit of weight tbh.

Sgt_Pooly

king_carlos and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:22 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Mitchell has been watching Youngs to much, he tends to have the same step before passing, but the ball fizzes out, unlike Youngs who struggles to get a quick pass out  more than 15m. The difference other than the pass is as good as Youngs is at sniping, Mitchell is a mile quicker and has the pace to get up and support even the quickest runners or make the break and give an accurate offload, not toss the ball into space hoping someone is there. Not the finished article, but that extra pace makes him a bit like Reinach, not perfect, but if he is in space, you will have trouble catching him.

Glad it ain't just me about the passing then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:23 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I thought Youngs looked really good yesterday (Sam please take note). His passing wasn't amazing, but ok. I thought his speed around the park was good, he did the basics well and looked a threat. He actually looked like he's lost a bit of weight tbh.

When youngs looks good it's when he's sniping. A change of tactics may well accentuate that though which would be good as he's not going to be dropped.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:24 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Mitchell has been watching Youngs to much, he tends to have the same step before passing, but the ball fizzes out, unlike Youngs who struggles to get a quick pass out  more than 15m. The difference other than the pass is as good as Youngs is at sniping, Mitchell is a mile quicker and has the pace to get up and support even the quickest runners or make the break and give an accurate offload, not toss the ball into space hoping someone is there. Not the finished article, but that extra pace makes him a bit like Reinach, not perfect, but if he is in space, you will have trouble catching him.

The pass for the opening try yesterday was one you missed then? Agree in general with Youngs passing there's normally one iffy one for every five good ones.

Having seen Mitchell yesterday he looks about as much of a challenge to Youngs as Robson. I quite like Mitchell but I expected a bit more really. I think Raffi Quirke could be the one to actually take the 9 shirt from Youngs, I don't think Eddie backs Randall's game management.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Not sure if the Aus performance today takes off or adds pressure for next weekend. After that we should be dominant up front but their play is as unstructured as ever. Today their indiscipline means they didn't score many but you do get the occasional purple patch. Real test of how much Jones wants to play with backs.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:26 pm

The pass for the opening try yesterday was one you missed then? Agree in general with Youngs passing there's normally one iffy one for every five good ones.

Having seen Mitchell yesterday he looks about as much of a challenge to Youngs as Robson. I quite like Mitchell but I expected a bit more really. I think Raffi Quirke could be the one to actually take the 9 shirt from Youngs, I don't think Eddie backs Randall's game management.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:38 pm

And van Poortvliet to rule him out completely. Realise no one will be able to convince you on Youngs limits but as a Leicester fan surely you see that out of your 3 first teamers now Youngs lags behind the elder and youngest statesmen in terms of passing?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:00 pm

Sam, can you please like my comment saying Youngs played well please!

I don't think Mitchell will threaten too much the two youngsters coming through will.

Sgt_Pooly

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:11 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:

Depends on what you want. Farrell's 'top trump' scores will almost certainly rate higher. He's a better kicker, a better general, probably a better distributor. Slade is much faster, a better defender, and does offer some running threat (although not as much as, say, Marchant). Slade can play 13, 15 at a pinch, is adequate at 12 and in an absolute emergency 10. Farrell plays at 10 or 12.

Personally I'd like to see Manu/Slade outside of Smith with Farrell on the bench.

Last edited by lostinwales on Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:19 pm

I'd always want Tuilagi starting at twelve where he's most capable of creating space out wide. You play him at thirteen and it's one extra pass and extra time for defences to close the space.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:27 pm

It was noticeable (arguably until Smith came on) how much we went down May's channel rather than Radwan's. I'm not tactically astute enough to know why....maybe one of the backs can explain this. Was there any particular reason or was it that Radwan didn't go looking for the ball?

Radwan suddenly came to life in the last 15 or so mins, I'd like to see him get more into the game. Saying that, I thought May played really well. For all my concerns that he's perhaps lost a bit of pace, he was always a threat, such a good player.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:32 pm

Next squad.

Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, 3 caps)

Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)

Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 34 caps)

Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons, 1 cap)

Nic Dolly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, 2 caps)

Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 24 caps)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 31 caps)

Jamie George (Saracens, 60 caps)

Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 10 caps)

Maro Itoje (Saracens, 49 caps)

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 88 caps)

Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 10 caps)

Joe Marler (Harlequins, 73 caps)

George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)

Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 7 caps)

Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 45 caps)

Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 13 caps)

Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 25 caps)

Backs
Mark Atkinson (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)

Owen Farrell (Saracens, 93 caps)

Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, uncapped)

George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)

Max Malins (Saracens, 8 caps)

Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 6 caps)

Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 67 caps)

Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)

Raffi Quirke (Sale Sharks, uncapped)

Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, 2 caps)

Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 41 caps)

Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 3 caps)

Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 3 caps)

Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 44 caps)

Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 110 caps)

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:57 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:I'd always want Tuilagi starting at twelve where he's most capable of creating space out wide. You play him at thirteen and it's one extra pass and extra time for defences to close the space.

I actually prefer him slightly wider in the 13 channel. Most outside centres will struggle to get anywhere near him as he's so explosive. At 12 there's always the chance he'll be double teamed by the IC and 10 or 10 and openside. Pigeonholing him into someone to run just the hard yards is a bit of a waste. We can run him back against the grain on weak shoulders from 13. 

Farrell is a fairly average 12 but his inclusion in the backline has tended to work. Record winning streak with Ford/Farrell/Joseph and then got to the World Cup final with dominant displays over Australia and NZ with Ford/Farrell/Manu. That midfield combination has won us 6N titles. The 6N before the World Cup when Ford was benched and we went with Farrell/Manu/Slade didn't work. I can see Farrell/Manu working as a centre combination again particularly if Steward is maintained at 15 as he's more than happy to straighten the line from 15 which will work well with the dual playmakers. Should give Smith plenty to work with Vs Australia.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:12 am

About as good as it could be for England with the players selected. These kinds of games are lose/lose really for a lot of the new guys - play well and 'it's only Tonga' play badly and it's 'it's only Tonga' so tbh scoring tries and keeping them out is the best outcome.

On Steward I thought he was great, I find myself agreeing with Sam as well that he shouldn't be blamed for not tackling the Tongan breakaway, he was coming across and did enough to slow the guy down allowing his support to complete the tackle which is exactly how defense should work. I've also seen Mike Brown miss plenty of those sorts of cover tackles, i'd say even the best fullbacks only manage them half the time as that's a wingers bread and butter there. Stewards skills under the high ball and his power in the tackle were impressive, he's a big lad isn't he? Looks like he may need to trim down a bit for Int rugby.

Youngs looked the best he's been in years, it'll be very interesting to see how he plays next week. Will we see the all courts Youngs from the weekend or will we see the slower, sloppy passing, side-step taking Youngs of the last few years?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:49 am

Steward is 6ft5 to be honest I was thinking he might bulk up a little more for international rugby and just naturally as he's still the age he is. Given the world cup winning S&C coach Tigers have I'd hope he's not carrying any extra. Tigers website has him a shade under 16 stone though how accurate that is I don't know. I doubt he'll add a lot of mass but a few more pounds of muscle might not hurt.

We didn't really see it Vs Tonga but his big challenge is going to be dialling in his kicking. The kid can kick it the length of the field with little effort. He's not always that accurate and can kick it dead, admittedly at the short WR pitch that's easier than at HQ, but with the 50/22 rule he could become a real menace.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:17 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:We didn't really see it Vs Tonga but his big challenge is going to be dialling in his kicking. The kid can kick it the length of the field with little effort. He's not always that accurate and can kick it dead, admittedly at the short WR pitch that's easier than at HQ, but with the 50/22 rule he could become a real menace.

He did one kick where he caught it with his back to play, and turned and hoofed it downfield to the Tongan 22 in one motion. No run up, no looking just what I thought was a great accurate kick in no time to put pressure back on Tonga.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:54 am

MichaelT wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:We didn't really see it Vs Tonga but his big challenge is going to be dialling in his kicking. The kid can kick it the length of the field with little effort. He's not always that accurate and can kick it dead, admittedly at the short WR pitch that's easier than at HQ, but with the 50/22 rule he could become a real menace.

He did one kick where he caught it with his back to play, and turned and hoofed it downfield to the Tongan 22 in one motion. No run up, no looking just what I thought was a great accurate kick in no time to put pressure back on Tonga.

He has got a really nice technique, it's a small work on but given the number of young fullbacks coming through if he starts the knack of bouncing it into touch then you pin back the opposition back three and create lots of space out wide with the new laws.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:00 am

And frankly I've already put him down as most important player vs SA. Diffuse those bombs and take away their main play.

No 7&1/2

Geordie and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:04 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:And frankly I've already put him down as most important player vs SA. Diffuse those bombs and take away their main play.

It's crazy to think we went in with Daly for the WC final really as he's never been anything better than suspect under the high ball.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:12 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:And frankly I've already put him down as most important player vs SA. Diffuse those bombs and take away their main play.

It's crazy to think we went in with Daly for the WC final really as he's never been anything better than suspect under the high ball.

Quite.

I’m inclined to give Steward the benefit of the doubt against TV - he got back but to get there had to be committed to going at full tilt and then got done not by the first step - which was telegraphed and he managed to react to - but by the second. There are very few players who wouldn’t have been caught out by that. What he did do was make enough of a nuisance of himself that Lawes was able to make the cover tackle.

Other than that, I thought he had a decent game. Still got some work ons, but for a young player in his first test he did far more right than wrong. I do think he will need to work on his stride pattern so that he can take shorter steps when accelerating or coming in for the tackle and be more agile, but he has all the basics coupled with being a genuine running threat in attack.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:31 am

Poorfour wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Quite.

I’m inclined to give Steward the benefit of the doubt against TV - he got back but to get there had to be committed to going at full tilt and then got done not by the first step - which was telegraphed and he managed to react to - but by the second. There are very few players who wouldn’t have been caught out by that. What he did do was make enough of a nuisance of himself that Lawes was able to make the cover tackle.

Other than that, I thought he had a decent game. Still got some work ons, but for a young player in his first test he did far more right than wrong. I do think he will need to work on his stride pattern so that he can take shorter steps when accelerating or coming in for the tackle and be more agile, but he has all the basics coupled with being a genuine running threat in attack.

It was great seeing Tuilagi being only used sparingly. With Steward and May also looking for work there were always options, which can only be a good thing

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:14 am

lostinwales wrote:
It was great seeing Tuilagi being only used sparingly. With Steward and May also looking for work there were always options, which can only be a good thing

Add in Genge, Sinckler, Dombrandt and Radwan (and even Slade when released in space) and there's a lot to keep the opposition guessing. The way Quins play is based on trying to have multiple genuine options for the pass at any point in time, and when you have several effective carriers available all running hard at the line it keeps the defence very honest. Smith then has the speed of thought to choose between the options at the last second based on how the defence is reacting. We only really saw it in glimpses on Sunday (his try was an example - he targeted a half gap himself and passed to Slade when Fijian shoulders turned in to close him down, then carried on his own line to be positioned for support - Slade is getting credit for making the break, but Smith made the space for it to happen), but I am hoping that a full week's training will give England the chance to unleash it a bit more on the Wallabies.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:19 am

I see that both Chick and Simmonds are back in camp which might put Dombrandt's place in the Aus game in doubt. Be interesting to see what Eddie goes with (please not Curry at 8)

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:56 am

Think it's just the normal squad again. The only ones not there by my reckoning are the injuries ie lcd and Lynagh. I'd be surprised if Dombrandt isn't at least on the bench. He should start in my view.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Dombrandt should start. Simple as that.

The biggest issue for me is.....Johnny Hill. He seemed to be invisible yet again...in a game he should be dominating. Now is in there due to his scrummaging? If not...move Lawes to the engine room...and bring in Dombrandt.

Unless of course Underhill is out due to the HAI?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:16 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Dombrandt should start. Simple as that.

The biggest issue for me is.....Johnny Hill. He seemed to be invisible yet again...in a game he should be dominating. Now is in there due to his scrummaging? If not...move Lawes to the engine room...and bring in Dombrandt.

Unless of course Underhill is out due to the HAI?

I thought it might have been a stinger but we'll find out soon enough

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Of course we should see Smith, Manu and Slade, but I would also accept Farrell, Manu and Slade with Smith hopefully adding real impact with 20 minutes to go.

But I am sure Eddie will go with Smith, Farrell and Manu, which we know is not the answer. Just like Curry who is not an 8 and whose ball carrying is not good enough. But Eddie just wants to go against the tide at all times so we will just have to wait and see.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:59 pm

Curry has improved massively carrying at six but it's just a bit predictable when he's at eight and he lacks the brute power to make up for it.

Soul Requiem

hugehandoff likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:13 pm

hugehandoff wrote:Of course we should see Smith, Manu and Slade, but I would also accept Farrell, Manu and Slade with Smith hopefully adding real impact with 20 minutes to go.

But I am sure Eddie will go with Smith, Farrell and Manu, which we know is not the answer. Just like Curry who is not an 8 and whose ball carrying is not good enough. But Eddie just wants to go against the tide at all times so we will just have to wait and see.

Article in the grauniad calling for the same thing

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/07/eddie-jones-needs-to-keep-it-simple-and-start-marcus-smith-for-england

Very much on the line the just because Farrell is who he is doesn't mean he should be part of the future.

If it really is time for a new look England (and I doubt there is anyone who disagrees) then Eddie needs to let the young guys (and Manu) off the leash.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:35 pm

Hasnt Farrell been playing very well this season so far ?

He isnt about to get dumped.

I think you'll see...
1-50/60 mins.
10 Farrell
12 Slade
13 Manu
(those two interchanging.)

50/60mins - Final
10 Smith
12 Farrell
13 Manu / Slade

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:55 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Hasnt Farrell been playing very well this season so far ?

I think you'll see...
1-50/60 mins.
10 Farrell
12 Slade
13 Manu

50/60mins - Final
10 Smith
12 Farrell
13 Manu / Slade

I don't mind this option at all as it allows Smith to ease his way into international rugby rather than having to cope with all the pressure of being the Messiah! It is also often much easier to come off the bench when you can see what needs to be done whereas being in the thick of the action you cannot see the wood from the trees sometimes.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:05 pm

hugehandoff wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Hasnt Farrell been playing very well this season so far ?

I think you'll see...
1-50/60 mins.
10 Farrell
12 Slade
13 Manu

50/60mins - Final
10 Smith
12 Farrell
13 Manu / Slade

I don't mind this option at all as it allows Smith to ease his way into international rugby rather than having to cope with all the pressure of being the Messiah! It is also often much easier to come off the bench when you can see what needs to be done whereas being in the thick of the action you cannot see the wood from the trees sometimes.

Won't be pleasant if he replaces Manu and gets a midfield of Farrell/Slade. Against Australia I think he'll be fine to start it's against SA I'd be more inclined to ease him in.

I'm looking forward to seeing Manu's explosiveness off of Smith's running game. Should make a miserable time for the Aussie 12.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:45 pm

Manu ran more at gaps that the usual battering ram hes been used at in the past. It was very noticeable.

Imagine Smith popping Manu through those gaps...and Slade / Marchant / Radwan / May running off him. Its a nice thought.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:11 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Manu ran more at gaps that the usual battering ram hes been used at in the past. It was very noticeable.

Imagine Smith popping Manu through those gaps...and Slade / Marchant / Radwan / May running off him. Its a nice thought.

Manu bursting through holes or small gaps in the defensive line is his best use in my view. He's actually that good at running into brick walls as he breaks easy. Give him half a gap to attack and he'll leaver it open and then it's defensive panic stations.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15 ... 21  Next