The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

+31
Maine man
Mr Bounce
Highland Shaun
broadlandboy
doctor_grey
RiscaGame
Margin_Walker
carpet baboon
Collapse2005
Pete330v2
Lowlandbrit
Welshmushroom
LeinsterFan4life
Recwatcher16
propdavid_london
BigGee
TAFKA The Oracle
Hazel Sapling
Rugby Fan
WELL-PAST-IT
mikey_dragon
Oakdene
lostinwales
Geordie
king_carlos
geoff999rugby
Fluxy
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
formerly known as Sam
Sgt_Pooly
35 posters

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 5 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 14 Aug 2023, 5:22 am

First topic message reminder :

I need rumours.....and I need them now!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 5 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by Oakdene Fri 12 Jan 2024, 8:03 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:As soon as I read a Welsh team is interested in Basham, I knew it'd be Scarlets. That wouldn't be a great signing tbh. He is better than Dan Davis and Letherbarrow, but you would be better of finding an actual blindside or No8; better yet a few lock forwards as Wales can usually find a few good flankers.

Apparently we're recruiting in the front 5 by all accounts.

Anyone else going through the exit door? It seems like a good idea to get Foxy and Scott Williams off the books.

Foxy is off, I think Johnny W is off too - Scott is fit & ready to play (has been for a while) but Peel persists in not picking him.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24 - Page 5 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 23/24

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 12 Jan 2024, 8:18 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Phil Vickery is going to France.

WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 12 Jan 2024, 9:47 am

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:As soon as I read a Welsh team is interested in Basham, I knew it'd be Scarlets. That wouldn't be a great signing tbh. He is better than Dan Davis and Letherbarrow, but you would be better of finding an actual blindside or No8; better yet a few lock forwards as Wales can usually find a few good flankers.

Anyone else going through the exit door? It seems like a good idea to get Foxy and Scott Williams off the books.

Foxy is off, I think Johnny W is off too - Scott is fit & ready to play (has been for a while) but Peel persists in not picking him.

Johnny is a good player, be a shame to lose him. He's really struggled with injuries during his career though. Scott has also struggled with injury for the last few years so a bit of a risk. Roberts and James look like good players.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 12 Jan 2024, 10:01 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

Johnny is a good player, be a shame to lose him. He's really struggled with injuries during his career though. Scott has also struggled with injury for the last few years so a bit of a risk. Roberts and James look like good players.

Not entirely true, the last 9 months he was with the O's he was fit & healthy but just not picked.

Yeah the youngsters looks sharp but I feel they need an old head to help them develop.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 12 Jan 2024, 12:56 pm

Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

Not entirely true, the last 9 months he was with the O's he was fit & healthy but just not picked.

Yeah the youngsters looks sharp but I feel they need an old head to help them develop.

I assumed he was injured if not featuring often. I don't remember the last time he had a good game, so maybe that is the reason.

Yeah definitely, and it will become an inexperienced backline next season if that's the case.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 12 Jan 2024, 1:21 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Phil Vickery is going to France.

Im just glad he's not retiring.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 15 Jan 2024, 8:12 am

It's only Ruck that is saying it, but according to them Racing have confirmed their interest in signing Farrell
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Mon 15 Jan 2024, 11:45 am

Perpignan leading the chase for Manu Tuilagi, with 3 other French clubs interested in signing the Sale centre.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 15 Jan 2024, 11:55 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:It's only Ruck that is saying it, but according to them Racing have confirmed their interest in signing Farrell
Lancaster confirmed it in a post match interview at the weekend I believe. The initial statements wording was telling. "An agreement hasn't been made". Which seems very indicative that one is being discussed. McCall has also said that he'd understand Faz wanting a new experience. It seems like it's probably going ahead.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Jan 2024, 1:58 pm

Oakdene wrote:Perpignan leading the chase for Manu Tuilagi, with 3 other French clubs interested in signing the Sale centre.

The club which is older brother Henry played for and who is nephew plays for currently. Be a good draw for Manu to have family nearby given he's got a young family.

Sinckler rumoured to be off to Toulon, possibly immediately.

Lancaster confirming interest in Farrell.

The old guard moving on for England.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon 15 Jan 2024, 2:02 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Oakdene wrote:Perpignan leading the chase for Manu Tuilagi, with 3 other French clubs interested in signing the Sale centre.

The club which is older brother Henry played for and who is nephew plays for currently. Be a good draw for Manu to have family nearby given he's got a young family.

Sinckler rumoured to be off to Toulon, possibly immediately.

Lancaster confirming interest in Farrell.

The old guard moving on for England.

Makes up Borthwick's mind for him then. Fresh blood will be required.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 16 Jan 2024, 12:48 pm

It's either an early April Fools or LRZ is happy to torpedo his career. It's a very brave call.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67995451

formerly known as Sam

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 Jan 2024, 12:49 pm

Jez, did not see that one coming!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 16 Jan 2024, 12:57 pm

Minimum salary in NFL is US$800k so can see the allure. Even being a half decent wide receiver and you are in the millions. The pension plan is also healthy if you can get to three seasons plus.

In reality though, being fast does not get you a career in the NFL. Plenty of speedsters who do not develop the route running necessary to even be a College level player. This is very high risk, very high reward.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 Jan 2024, 1:02 pm

Not the first one to try out, the success rate has been pretty grim.

Christsin Wade looked good in the clips we saw of him and he never even got a game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 16 Jan 2024, 1:04 pm

NFL is a sorry excuse for a 'sport' and I don't see the appeal, but good luck to him. The Wales squad just selected is the worst I've seen in years, he isn't in it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 16 Jan 2024, 1:14 pm

I Was not expecting that. Good luck to him

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 16 Jan 2024, 1:36 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Minimum salary in NFL is US$800k so can see the allure. Even being a half decent wide receiver and you are in the millions. The pension plan is also healthy if you can get to three seasons plus.

In reality though, being fast does not get you a career in the NFL. Plenty of speedsters who do not develop the route running necessary to even be a College level player. This is very high risk, very high reward.

It was minimum $750k (roughly £592.5k) if you were on the active roster this season. Less if you are in the training squad. Even less if you are in the NFL pathway.

It's a gamble. The reward is potentially eye watering but realistically it's two or three years of lost development and missing a Lions Tour and World Cup.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 16 Jan 2024, 1:49 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Minimum salary in NFL is US$800k so can see the allure. Even being a half decent wide receiver and you are in the millions. The pension plan is also healthy if you can get to three seasons plus.

It was minimum $750k (roughly £592.5k) if you were on the active roster this season. Less if you are in the training squad. Even less if you are in the NFL pathway.

It's a gamble. The reward is potentially eye watering but realistically it's two or three years of lost development and missing a Lions Tour and World Cup.

If he's not getting anywhere there is still a chance to get back in time for the next RWC

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:08 pm

If you watch his Gloucester video, LRZ talks a lot about doing it for his father, who played at an amateur level himself.

He's got an advantage over Christian Wade and Jarryd Hayne in making the switch five or six years earlier. Hayne said his biggest challenge was learning all the playbooks, which was second-nature for all the local players. LRZ might find it easier doing that at 22 rather than 27.

Also, if he doesn't make the cut in North America, and he wants a rugby career again, then he'll be young enough to have some good years left.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by TAFKA The Oracle Tue 16 Jan 2024, 2:11 pm

Sorry to hear about LZR, from a wales point of view. But I love NFL so will be watching with interest!

TAFKA The Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 16 Jan 2024, 9:16 pm

Seems like the announcement from LRZ came out of the blue for his Gloucester team mates, so it's possible Wales didn't get much more of a heads-up.

No-one realy begrudges him that. Generally speaking his fellow pros are wishing him all the best.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 16 Jan 2024, 9:49 pm

I'm guessing LRZ will be looking at wide receiver and kick return. Rather than running back like Hayne and Wade did. I'm not a huge NFL follower but from what I know I'd guess that the blocking involved in WR is simpler than as a RB. At RB you're defending your QB on passing players and lead blocking. Whereas at WR it's more things like running off (basically a convincing dummy line when you know a defender is focused on you) and stalking cornerbacks (who aren't usually much bigger than LRZ now).

The odds are immensely stacked against him. The collegiate systems is outstanding for developing athletes and pumps out a conveyor belt of guys who have played this game from youth who's sole aim is the NFL. I wish him well and will follow the journey with interest though.

When whispers of LRZ news came out I immediately thought he was missing the Six Nations to try to make the Olympic Sevens!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Jan 2024, 7:32 am

Wide receiver requires some pretty tough skills. Being able to take the ball as it comes over your shoulder whilst under pressure being one. As you say the collegiate system basically gives NFL hopefuls three years in an outstanding environment akin to a professional setup. Many high schools setups in America are hugely impressive and have sophisticated programs for athletes.

LRZ is years behind.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed 17 Jan 2024, 11:45 am

He has the basic attributes (Speed, Evasive, Size) but one major issue is that conditioning and tactical plays are totally different. NFL playbooks are massive so will take some learning on his part. That's before you consider other issues - USA has some of the best athletes in the world playing the sport. He will be going up against players who have far more experience playing the sport at his age and the hits are totally different in the sport so how will that impact him.

And given he would probably be a receiver the prime ability is to catch a ball and take a hit, there is zero experience. Catching a NFL 40 yard pass is totally different to a rugby pass or catch of a high ball.

I hope he does well but honestly the odds are seriously stacked against him. And if it does become a 2-3 year project he might not even have a rugby career to come back to or at least not at the wage levels he probably could have commanded had he stayed put. If he makes the NFL he will no doubt make a ton more money. But if he doesn't he probably has cost himself money in the long term. Risky.

Bookies have him at 100-1 of scoring a NFL touch down. Might be wort a punt Smile

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 17 Jan 2024, 12:50 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:

He has the basic attributes (Speed, Evasive, Size) but one major issue is that conditioning and tactical plays are totally different.  NFL playbooks are massive so will take some learning on his part.  That's before you consider other issues - USA has some of the best athletes in the world playing the sport.  He will be going up against players who have far more experience playing the sport at his age and the hits are totally different in the sport so how will that impact him.

And given he would probably be a receiver the prime ability is to catch a ball and take a hit, there is zero experience.  Catching a NFL 40 yard pass is totally different to a rugby pass or catch of a high ball.  

I hope he does well but honestly the odds are seriously stacked against him.  And if it does become a 2-3 year project he might not even have a rugby career to come back to or at least not at the wage levels he probably could have commanded had he stayed put.  If he makes the NFL he will no doubt make a ton more money.  But if he doesn't he probably has cost himself money in the long term.  Risky.

Bookies have him at 100-1 of scoring a NFL touch down.  Might be wort a punt Smile
When you see how well Jarryd Hayne did in NFL pre season and he still didn't make the final squad, shows just how tough it is to make it.

But that's not really what this is about is it? The NFL want these signings to bring foreign eyes onto their game. The teams sign these players as they don't count towards the salary cap and finally LRZ gets to expand his "brand" into America.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 17 Jan 2024, 1:33 pm

As has been said, the odds are stacked heavily against him but if it all goes to pot there'll be plenty of cheque books open all over the rugby world, that lad will be back.
On other transfers has there been any updates on the Paddy Jackson to Saracens rumour?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 17 Jan 2024, 1:58 pm

Paddy Jackson to Sarries would be a good fit in terms of playing style. Talk about doubling down on the nobody likes us and we don't care attitude though.

There's not many flyhalfs of international calibre readily available which would limit Sarries options. Jackson would be a safe bet given how well he did in the league for LI. The other options would be someone like Garbisi where there's a risk. I could see them trying to get Joe Simmonds back from Pau but he has a two year deal which might not be setup in a way where he can leave early.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 18 Jan 2024, 5:42 pm

Harry Mallinder to NFL (kicker)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 18 Jan 2024, 5:50 pm

lostinwales wrote:Harry Mallinder to NFL (kicker)
He's got an absolutely monstrous boot on him. There's been a few AFL players make the transition into the NFL as punters. Even more of them in college football. I believe there is some stat about Aussies being the leading kickers in college football for a number of years in a row now.

Given his horrible injury record that is a brilliant opportunity for Mallinder to try something new for 3 years.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 18 Jan 2024, 7:50 pm

Rio Dyer has extended his stay with Dragons, he's not going to NFL...

Scarlets are set to sign Marnus van der Merwe from Cheetahs. Either this means Ken Owens will retire, or Shaun Evans is departing (I hope for everyone's sake, it's the latter). Any other names incoming? Lousi is heading back to Super Rugby, supposedly imminently, he's a fantastic player. Fifita off as well apparently but at the end of this season, also a fantastic player. It would be great if he stayed in Wales, would compliment the Ospreys pack well as a marquee!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 19 Jan 2024, 8:40 am

Joe Schmidt confirmed at Wallabies coach.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 19 Jan 2024, 9:59 am

A great selection by the Wallabies.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 19 Jan 2024, 10:35 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:A great selection by the Wallabies.

He has a lot of work to do. He might get them back to the Aus we seen early in Cheika's reign as head coach in time, but that's probably their ceiling. Competitive, not a world beater team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Jan 2024, 1:33 pm

Patrick Schickerling - Exeter to Glasgow?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Jan 2024, 2:02 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

He has a lot of work to do. He might get them back to the Aus we seen early in Cheika's reign as head coach in time, but that's probably their ceiling. Competitive, not a world beater team.

Depends. If they start getting the results then the Aussie public will start backing them in a big way again. Then when the ARU go after the NRL and Aussie Rules players those players will be more receptive and there may be more sponsorship to help fund those acquisitions.

There's plenty of talent in Australia but the Wallabies aren't the first choice currently.

Wins over the ABs is always the key for a Wallabies coach. Somehow getting the Super Rugby franchises firing will be another issue to sort. That might take a lot longer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 21 Jan 2024, 3:08 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

Depends. If they start getting the results then the Aussie public will start backing them in a big way again. Then when the ARU go after the NRL and Aussie Rules players those players will be more receptive and there may be more sponsorship to help fund those acquisitions.

There's plenty of talent in Australia but the Wallabies aren't the first choice currently.

Wins over the ABs is always the key for a Wallabies coach. Somehow getting the Super Rugby franchises firing will be another issue to sort. That might take a lot longer.

All true. Being up against NZ and SA every year definitely counts against them, they get slated badly back in Aus for losing to them. They had a host of good players at the RWC and were poor, even the guys playing their club rugby overseas didn't perform. It seems like a big mountain to climb but it's Australia and are Australia are usually good at sports.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 22 Jan 2024, 6:52 pm

Apparently Farrell has signed for Racing

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 22 Jan 2024, 7:48 pm

Confirmed by Racing.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Jan 2024, 8:51 pm

Rumours of Arundell to Glaws.

James Cronin leaving Tigers to return to Munster.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 22 Jan 2024, 9:03 pm

He really doesn't like Farrell.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 22 Jan 2024, 9:09 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Rumours of Arundell to Glaws.
Is that for '26/27 after his recent deal expires...?!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 22 Jan 2024, 9:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Rumours of Arundell to Glaws.
Is that for '26/27 after his recent deal expires...?!

Sooner. Somewhat unsubstantiated rumour though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Mon 22 Jan 2024, 10:15 pm

Nah, I'd be shocked if he was going anywhere at the moment.

The Farrell rift angle is most likely blown well out of proportion and Arundell would make himself look pretty silly abandoning the French project, before he'd really got started.

Bath were by all accounts offering good money for next season. If he wanted to head back to England for next season, he'd have gone with them as his boyhood club rather than Gloucester.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 22 Jan 2024, 11:08 pm

The only place I've heard the Farrell-Arundell fight schtick come from was Andy Goode. I'm not sure I've seen a single reputable journalist substantiate it. With all respected journalists I've read stating that to their understanding it didn't happen.

There were reports of Arundell being told to, "chase a f***ing kick", by Farrell during the pre-RWC camps. I can't imagine that's unusual from senior players in an international training session though. It was a few years ago that I read it, but, I'm fairly sure Paul O'Connell's biography opens with a similar story from a team meeting at Munster where he's furious with a young winger for not chasing a kick during the post game analysis.

If I had to bet, I'd guess that Goode heard that and dragged it out spectacularly to get a cheap headline. His punditry has seemed increasingly desperate for a while IMO. Hamilton has improved out of sight as a pundit and broken into mainstream coverage in the Six Nations and RWC, has his own RugbyPass stuff that's well recieved. Whilst Goode seems to be doing the same podcast, lower level comms and after dinner stuff year on year. Turns out that talking about pubes and doing the same impression of a northerner gets stale after a while. Who knew!

I honestly didn't know Arundell was a Bath lad originally though. The more you know, cheers Margin. I'd be very surprised if he left Racing. It's a great place for him to keep developing his game.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 23 Jan 2024, 6:39 am

Farrels move confirmed for the summer

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Tue 23 Jan 2024, 11:56 am

Guy Porter possibly leaving Leicester......Super Rugby sides looking at him

Matt Gallagher is talks with Munster about a return as well.

Henry Slade in talks with Stade Francais.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 24 Jan 2024, 11:10 am

Alex Moon to Bayonne according to Midi.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Fri 26 Jan 2024, 2:57 pm

Aaron Wainwright has turned down offers from England & is staying at the Dragons.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 26 Jan 2024, 4:31 pm

Oakdene wrote:Aaron Wainwright has turned down offers from England & is staying at the Dragons.

Good for him and the Dragons. They've done well to retain him and Dyer so far.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next