The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 T20 World Cup

+14
JDizzle
KP_fan
Pal Joey
Forward Pass
Marky
Galted
Good Golly I'm Olly
wisden
eirebilly_01
king_carlos
alfie
VTR
guildfordbat
Duty281
18 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

2024 T20 World Cup - Page 5 Empty 2024 T20 World Cup

Post by Duty281 Wed 22 May 2024, 12:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just over a week away now from some glorious six-hitting in the cricketing heartlands of Barbados, Trinidad, Saint Lucia and, um, New York City.

England are defending the crown they won at the MCG in front of 80,000 people in November 2022. They'll probably be hoping it goes a bit better than their defence of the 50 over title! The tournament is, as T20 competitions are, very wide open. If England were to win it again they'd be the first men's team to win back to back World T20 titles in the history of the competition.

Chasing them keenly are the bookmakers favourites India, who are very, very thirsty because of a drought that has existed since 2013 in ICC tournaments. Australia will obviously be there or thereabouts, and there's plenty of excitement around the West Indies, twice winners of this competition, and how glorious it would be to see them lift a trophy at home.

Or perhaps South Africa will finally stop being Tottenham and actually win something? But it's T20. So it could be anyone. Ireland, Scotland, Uganda....USA?

I thought the format of the last couple of T20 World Cups was absolutely perfect. Naturally, then, the ICC have altered it for this year! So we've now got 20 teams, up from 16, and 55 matches in total, up from 45.

There's no preliminary round this time. All teams start off the same. Four groups of five teams. All play each other once. Top two in each group go through to the Super 8s. Super 8s is split into two groups of four. No points are carried over and all teams play each other once in the Super 8s. Top two in each Super 8 group go through to the semi-finals, from which it's a straight knockout. Means a team will play nine games if they are to lift the trophy, in comparison to England's seven games to win it in 2022.

One curious thing about the format, and the ICC love curious things (such as there being no reserve day for one semi-final), is that the finishing places in the initial group are seeded. For example, England are designated B1 in their group, and Australia are B2, which means that it's irrelevant if England come first or second. They will go through to Group 2 of the Super 8s regardless of finishing first or second. I suppose it guarantees certainty for fans, as they know where teams are playing after the initial group stage.

While I don't think it's been directly said, the draw was not a fair and open one. It took place behind closed doors and ensured India/Pakistan were in the same group, as well as some other long-standing rivalries, such as USA v Canada. I'm surprised the ICC didn't put India and Pakistan in the same Super 8 group as well! The groups are:

Groups:

The fixture list is all over the place with timings, so try and keep up! If you're in the UK, games can start at 01:30, or they might begin at 18:00, and quite a few matches seem to overlap in the early stages.

Fixture List (All times BST):

Squads (Not yet finalised):

Outright Odds (Bet365):

The USA and Canada will be starting this one off in Texas. That's the most unlikely cricket sentence ever uttered.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey, JDizzle, guildfordbat and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

2024 T20 World Cup - Page 5 Empty Re: 2024 T20 World Cup

Post by KP_fan Sun 09 Jun 2024, 6:16 pm

Jadeja and Dube did not defend with bat pointing down....but rather bat facing upwards...a sign that the batter is trying to maneuver the ball in gap
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 09 Jun 2024, 6:33 pm

Pandya aught to have batted till the end
India were on par for 160...should have gotten 140 or even 130 to have something to fight with
Now they will fold for sub-120
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 6:59 pm

Ended up with 119, which is just short of the 130-140 which I would probably judge as par. They were in such a good position due to Pant, but didn't convert from 89/3.

Credit to the Pakistani pace quartet. Amir was much improved from his showing v the USA, though Pakistan's fielding was still quite scruffy and likely cost them about 10 runs.

We'll see if India can defend this. 9/0 after 1.

Oman 90/4 after 12.3 overs against Scotland. That one is building up nicely.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 09 Jun 2024, 7:23 pm

Hope Rohit bowls Bumrah out. No point holding him back
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 7:41 pm

57/1. India have strangled the scoring, but it doesn't mean anything unless they get wickets to back it up. Need to bowl their best bowlers immediately after the resumption.

Oman have posted a competitive 150 v Scotland, thanks to a last over of 15.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:04 pm

India need a slip or actually two.
There is something for seamers and spinners.....need catchers
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:12 pm

Bumrah got the wicket of the anchor, Rizwan, and that required rate is starting to become an issue.

35 off 24.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:16 pm

And Shadab slices one to the keeper. India perhaps ahead now.

Scotland cruising their chase and, worryingly for England, doing it at hyper speed.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:26 pm

Not a good over from Siraj for the 18th - a no ball, a wide, and a couple of full tosses - but Pakistan only collect 9.

21 off 12. Bumrah for the 19th.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:31 pm

Bumrah does the job. Does the necessary and grabs another wicket.

India closing in. 18 needed off the last. Arshdeep to bowl it. Hasn't been a boundary since the 14th over!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:40 pm

Pakistan pulls out another glorious defeat from the jaws of Victory.
India bowled well...but Pak lost it, choked on it

India need to look at their composition in the next game
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:42 pm

And India win by six runs. clap

Another entertaining low scorer. Bumrah's figures are awesome, but my MOTM would be Pant for his 42. Phenomenal on this.

Pakistan on the verge of an exit. They need to beat Canada and Ireland, then hope the USA lose to both India and Ireland. That would equalise them on four points and put it down to NRR. The USA so close to the Super Eights.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 8:45 pm

Meanwhile Scotland have chased 151 in 13.1 overs. Shocked

11 maximums in that chase.

Makes England's task all the harder. They have to play Oman and Namibia before Scotland play their final game. England must win both (by good margins) and hope Scotland lose to Australia, setting up a NRR decider, which for Scotland is going to look a lot prettier after this big win!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 09 Jun 2024, 9:36 pm

Not looking good for England then. Has the feel of the 50 over World Cup group stage when that was about half way through to be honest. If we just beat these, and these lose to those, then we might make it through I.e. we are not playing well and becoming desperate

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 09 Jun 2024, 10:39 pm

Yeah, it's definitely uphill from here.

Probably need to bat first, if England win the toss, against Namibia and Oman and try and rack up huge scores (could be tough with the form shown by everyone bar Buttler/Salt yesterday), which I think is the best way of boosting NRR.

Scotland of course have the added advantage of knowing exactly what they need to do to qualify when they play Australia. That could prove crucial.

Also, Australia, providing they beat Namibia, will go into the Scotland game with little incentive. They'll have already qualified and, because of the seeding system, it doesn't matter whether they finish first or second. So they might rotate players/not be at 100% intensity for the Scotland game.

Saying that, it's a good time to get on England anyway. Their odds to win the tournament have drifted to 12/1, but if they pull out the great escape and make it through this group, those odds will tighten drastically. Keep the faith.

SA v Bangladesh tomorrow, in New York, so expect a spicy low scorer. South Africa are pretty much through already, and Bangladesh will also be 'pretty much through' if they upset South Africa.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 10 Jun 2024, 12:11 am

Duty281 wrote:Yeah, it's definitely uphill from here.

Yes definitely an uphill challenge but it can be done. Fingers crossed for good weather. From now on there's no room for any more losses. It has to be a run of victories; one after the other - to do something similar to what Australia did in India last year.

I know it was a different group structure and more games, but remember they started horribly with two losses. India and South Africa. On the small plus side, they were the 'hard' opponents out of the way at least but at some point the players must have said: 'there's nothing to lose now... just go out and perform your best and with a bit of luck, who knows?'

As it turned out - it was some freaky unexpected revival they put on. How they ever managed to build up momentum (after such a lacklustre start) and go all the way and win the final still perplexes me somewhat.

England can do the same. They've just got to blitz their next opponents, gather some steam and confidence... and get on a bit of a roll, you know. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:56 am

Have a feeling it was written in the stars that Scotland were going to derail England this WC - one way or another. Obviously not a given , yet : but that NRR difference looks fairly daunting already ; and you have to wonder whether the England players can get their heads in the right place for the challenge now , in the way they totally failed to do after early reverses in the last 50 over WC.

If they can get it together - and the weather doesn't play more tricks - then getting through the group after a rough start could be just what they need to challenge in the knock outs (as PJ says , gather steam and confidence). I am still worried about the bowling though. Less so the batting , despite a poor game the other night...frankly reckon that 201 was a big over-par score , as it was fiendishly difficult for batsmen coming in to blast off from the start against slow bowling on that pitch. Australia with their brilliant first power play had the luxury of incoming bats being able to take a bit of time to settle and basically pick the ball to hit - which they did rather consistently. I expect much better from England against the lesser teams : but if they don't get to bat first this could be tricky...

Can't say I am that bothered as I am coming to realise more and more that I just don't much like 20 over cricket : probably comes of having nothing but IPL rubbish to watch for the last however long Smile But I'd like to see England at least make a bit of a show. For all his obvious faults as a captain , I still think Jos deserves a chance to lead his team into the serious games rather than have to face the press after agroup stage exit.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:58 am

And Pakistan really are dead in the water , surely ? If they get out of this one I will really start to believe in miracles...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Jun 2024, 9:27 am

I have not yet watched a single ball of this world cup. Am I missing anything?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:34 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I have not yet watched a single ball of this world cup. Am I missing anything?

I'm actually quite enjoying it. I feared it would be roads and small boundaries and an endless succession of 180+ scores to appeal to the Americans.

But the New York games have been entertaining low scorers, there's been a fair few upsets, and the last few days have been very good. The established order in the groups has been upstaged as well.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:37 am

alfie wrote:And Pakistan really are dead in the water , surely ? If they get out of this one I will really start to believe in miracles...

Not quite. If Pakistan beat Canada and Ireland (more than possible), and the USA lose to India and Ireland, then it's four points each. There's not a lot between the two teams in terms of NRR already, and if Pakistan are going to win twice and the USA lose twice, then that NRR should take care of itself from a Pakistan perspective (plus Pakistan play the last game, so if the USA have lost both games by this point, Pakistan will know exactly what they need to do v Ireland to qualify).

The only real obstacle is USA v Ireland.  On current form, I'd back the USA, but Ireland coming back to win it really isn't that unlikely.

Pakistan have probably got a better chance than England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 10 Jun 2024, 1:46 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:I have not yet watched a single ball of this world cup. Am I missing anything?

I'm actually quite enjoying it. I feared it would be roads and small boundaries and an endless succession of 180+ scores to appeal to the Americans.

But the New York games have been entertaining low scorers, there's been a fair few upsets, and the last few days have been very good. The established order in the groups has been upstaged as well.

Fair enough - have to admit I find myself a bit "World Cup'd out" recently what with this event happening a few times since Covid and the 50 over one merely months ago. Struggling to find the enthusiasm to watch, which appears to be a shame if its turning out to be entertaining!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 2:24 pm

Well, back after the weekend at home with the family. My views.
Ireland are gone as a team, unless Bap scores big then Ireland will never set a threatening score. Josh Little, as good as he is, has been completely worked out and is not a great threat. In short, the team are too old and have very little coming up through the ranks.

England,

Well, I have been saying for some time that this team are unbalanced. Many disagree but the continual selection of Jordan and Bairstow astounds me. As good as they have been, they are just not up to it anymore.
Livingston for me is another strange selection. Its either him or Moeen Ali to play that one role and not both. Right now, Ali looks the better option as well as Livingston's batting has not been good for some time.
Brook, the talent that he is and has, is better suited for 50 overs or test match's.
Finally Buttler. Great batter but terrible captain. He does not motivate the team at all during difficult periods in games. He needs to just focus on his batting.
England have good players that can come in seamlessly and propel them on but for some reason, this s not happening.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 3:15 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Fair enough - have to admit I find myself a bit "World Cup'd out" recently what with this event happening a few times since Covid and the 50 over one merely months ago. Struggling to find the enthusiasm to watch, which appears to be a shame if its turning out to be entertaining!

Yeah, don't blame you in fairness. The decision to have T20 World Cups every two years is ludicrous, and with the Covid delay to the 2020 version, this is actually the third iteration of the T20 World Cup in the last 30 months!

Difficult for the players to have motivation when they come around so often.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 3:17 pm

SA batting first after winning the toss. Doing it on the idea that the pitch is bad (it's the same one as for yesterday's game which, I think, was already used for a previous game!) and probably won't get any better, so why not set something?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 3:28 pm

Sth Africa have hardly set the tournament on fire so this is a big chance for Bangladesh.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 3:55 pm

It was a very brave call to bat first, I was surprised at it because SA have played here twice and Bangladesh haven't, but it's not coming off.

23/4 and it's going to be tough to make 100. They're only as high as 23 because De Kock defied the pitch and launched a few earlier.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 3:56 pm

Oh wow, some start here for Bangladesh...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Jun 2024, 4:09 pm

eirebilly_01 wrote:England have good players that can come in seamlessly and propel them on but for some reason, this s not happening.

I'm not sure on that with most of this selection. Particularly the bowling.

I'd replace Bairstow with Duckett now. YJB just looked cooked yesterday.

Maybe Brook won't figure T20 out but I think he's easily talented enough too. Whilst I don't see the obvious better option to come in? Smeed. Vince. Hain. Crawley. I'd still take Brook at 5.

Are there better options to hit at 6/7 and bowl a few overs than Mo and Livi? Maybe JOverton but he's injured. Would Lewis Gregory be the next option after that...? Good cricketer but I'd pick Mo and Livi for their flaws. I'm not convinced by Livi's batting at all, either. I think he's been found out a bit like Chris Lynn before him. Very good at hitting certain types of bowling but bowl spin or outside 'his arc' and it's scratchy.

Jordan is there as a death bowler, which England have a dearth of. Jof coming back helps massively, but he's the only one of note. Surran did a great job in Oz with those massive wide boundaries helping his slower balls. I don't think it'd work here though. Topley isn't a death bowler. He's decent in the PP, serviceable in the middle and death. I'd pick Topley ahead of Wood for the next game.

By and large, I think this squad and the XI are very close to what I'd pick. I do wonder if we're that game against Scotland being played through (I think they chase 11 RPO with a kids boundary and a wet ball that the Scotland bowlers can't grip) from no one batting an eye lid at the Australia loss.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Jun 2024, 4:12 pm

Duty281 wrote:

I'm similar re struggling for enthusiasm to watch. That's just happened to me across sports a bit at the moment. So not a T20 specific thing. I'm at a point where I pop games on if it fits, sometimes get engaged when I do that. Whereas I used to make time for it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Jun 2024, 4:12 pm

Duty281 wrote:

I'm similar re struggling for enthusiasm to watch. That's just happened to me across sports a bit at the moment. So not a T20 specific thing. I'm at a point where I pop games on if it fits, sometimes get engaged when I do that. Whereas I used to make time for it.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 4:14 pm

king_carlos wrote:I do wonder if we're that game against Scotland being played through (I think they chase 11 RPO with a kids boundary and a wet ball that the Scotland bowlers can't grip) from no one batting an eye lid at the Australia loss.

I definitely agree with this. I do think there's a little overreaction to the Australia defeat and England's position wouldn't be as perilous if the rain hadn't descended v Scotland.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 4:56 pm

I don't know KC, I know Richard Gleeson is old but still think he is one of those bowlers that could still do a job for one last tournament. I would certainly have him ahead of Jordan and Wood.

I still do not think that England would have chased that Scotland total down given their batting frailties right now. Personally feel that a lot of people are over-estimating England's batting form, the conditions at the time and how impressive Scotland have looked.

As for Australia, we all knew that would be the tough game and it is not a major shock that they beat England but the manner of the loss was concerning for me.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 5:08 pm

Phenomenal effort from Miller and Klassen to rescue their side, but when they tried to push up the rate in the last few overs they both fell.

SA finish with 113 thanks to that duo. That's a competitive score on this!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 5:10 pm

Absolutely impressive bowling effort by Bangladesh. Really given them a little look in at beating Sth Africa here. The PP will be so crucial for them. There are some demons in the pitch but it does not look that bad to be honest. Millar and Klaasen played very well given the situation but had they had a better platform, may have gone a lot harder.
I would say this is a 140/150 par track.

Still, runs on the board and all that.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 5:49 pm

29/1 after the PowerPlay.

Building similar to Pakistan's chase yesterday. Plenty of wickets in hand, but the early run rate is sluggish.

Oh, Maharaj strikes first ball after the PowerPlay. That's good for SA. I was about to say that, like India with Bumrah, SA have held back Nortje who still hasn't bowled an over yet.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 6:08 pm

50/4 at halfway, Nortje picking two out with some excellent short bowling.

It's beginning to get uphill for Bangladesh. They don't have much batting from 8 down.

What's the deal with short pitched leg side balls, also? Not just this game, but there always seems to be leniency for short-pitched leg side balls in terms of calling a wide, where no such discretion exists for good/full bowling.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Jun 2024, 6:10 pm

Nortje must be thanking the gods for this pitch. He looked awful in the IPL. Unpickable. I was worried injuries had destroyed a bowler I love watching. Then he rocks up for the T20 World Cup and gets presented with an absolute dumpster fire that just requires him to smash it into the pitch as fast as he can. Dream stuff.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 6:39 pm

Wow, an absolute howler of a decision costs Bangladesh four runs. Given out LBW, overturned on review, but of course you don't get the runs afterwards.

Means it's 26 off 22, not 22 off 22.

Duty281

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 6:54 pm

Down to the wire again. 11 off 6, with five wickets remaining.

Will be Maharaj bowling the last, as SA went top heavy with the bowling and didn't keep anything back.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 7:04 pm

Wow, what drama in the final over. Bangladesh were a metre away from victory, when they launched a full toss into the sky, only for Markram to pull it in. And they missed out on another two full tosses.

SA win by 4 runs. Three from three. Another great low scorer in New York. Just two more games at the World Cup will be played in this low scoring haven, the antithesis of the IPL.

Bangladesh should be well aggrieved about that howler of an LBW that cost them four runs. But can the rules be changed? I don't see how. But they probably win if not for that monumental error.

Other note - win predictors are garbage. Cricinfo put SA at 9% at halfway, the official broadcaster was 14%. But anyone who has watched a T20 in New York at this tournament will know the game was in the balance at halfway.

SA are obviously through in this group. The other qualification place is up for grabs, but for now Bangladesh are still the most likeliest and will take a giant step forwards if they beat the Dutch in the next one. If the Dutch win then it's all open!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 10 Jun 2024, 7:12 pm

SA v BD was no less a thriller than the Ind-Pak game and BD did what Pak did...choked I would say.
Didn't watch the SA inning but this NY pitch and in general pitches in America have been bowling friendly and hence make for good contests.

Teams need to go in with proper get set batters and aim for 120-130 on such pitches.

BD though got the rotten slice of luck with 2 umpires calls on lbw going against them....one of which also cost 4 leg byes.
That they had only 11 to win , 10 for a super over off Maharaj and last two deliveries easy full tosses both of which could have been put away for SIXES but weren't.....because BD froze and choked.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 10 Jun 2024, 7:43 pm

Well I did catch the latter part of this one and admit it was quite entertaining: tricky NY pitches the way to go ? SA got out of jail there, eh ? Felt for Bangladesh with that incorrect - though understandable - lbw call costing them 4 leg byes. A problem with that rule...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:Wow, an absolute howler of a decision costs Bangladesh four runs. Given out LBW, overturned on review, but of course you don't get the runs afterwards.

Dreadful decision which was so influential to the outcome.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:42 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Wow, an absolute howler of a decision costs Bangladesh four runs. Given out LBW, overturned on review, but of course you don't get the runs afterwards.

It's a clear issue with the law that's been waiting to happen at a key moment. I've heard plenty of pundits and journalists flag it already.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:48 pm

alfie wrote:Well I did catch the latter part of this one and admit it was quite entertaining: tricky NY pitches the way to go ? SA got out of jail there, eh ? Felt for Bangladesh with that incorrect - though understandable - lbw call costing them 4 leg byes. A problem with that rule...

Give me a low scorer any day!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:53 pm

king_carlos wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

It's a clear issue with the law that's been waiting to happen at a key moment. I've heard plenty of pundits and journalists flag it already.

One solution might be to wait until the ball has finished travelling before making a decision.

So, in this example, the ball goes to the boundary, then the umpire signals out. Review happens, if it's overturned the team get the four runs. Bit like in rugby (either code), the officials might be sure a winger has put his foot in touch initially, but they let the play finish in a grounding, before confirming the decision with the video ref.

Should only happen occasionally, because the ball rarely goes anywhere for most LBW appeals.

Duty281

king_carlos and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:55 pm

SA will play USA, Afghanistan, Scotland for two places in SF is a very likely set up from here.

Unless Eng can bash the daylight out of Namibia & Oman which is also in the realms of quite likely
& Provided Aus don't lose to Scotland
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:18 pm

Wasn't aware of that rule until today and does seem very unfair. If it happens because of a shocking decision then you are effectively being punished for the umpire's incompetence. Worst rule in cricket since boundary count decides the winner, can't remember that one ever being used though

Last edited by VTR on Tue 11 Jun 2024, 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

VTR

Pal Joey and Duty281 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 11 Jun 2024, 4:10 am

VTR wrote:Wasn't aware of that rule until today and does seem very unfair. If it happens because of a shocking decision then you are effectively being punished for the empire's incompetence. Worst rule in cricket since boundary count decides the winner, can't remember that one ever being used though

I'm going to push back here, and this is a very batsman-centric view of the rule. The ball is only 2 metres to the left of Quinton de Kock when he goes up to appeal. In this instance it goes past him before the umpire makes his decision, but also before it hits the boundary rope. Imagine a scenario where the umpire gave it out before the ball went past de Kock, and it trickled down for a boundary. Similarly, once the umpire raises his finger, the fielding team (rightly) has no incentive to chase a ball that is still very much in
the field. Giving a four in that instance would have been insanity. I think Bangladesh can count themselves very unlucky for sure, but you can't create a different rule for every possible event.

I think the idea to wait until the ball is dead to make a decision looks like the right one on the surface, but then depending on the type of outcome (let's say, an attempted nurdle for three at Adelaide), you're talking about 15-20 seconds between the initial appeal and the decision, ignoring the fact that that now gives umpires time to double guess themselves, as we all do, I feel like at that point, we might as well load it up to DRS pre-emptively.

I'm sure it sounds like whatever the opposite of sour grapes are, when we're on the winning side but some rules I think, even if they aren't perfect, you get yourself in a tizzy trying to fix a problem that only appears once in a blue moon.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Galted likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next