The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your unpopular Boxing opinion.....

+48
BALTIMORA
skidd1
oxring
paperbag_puncher
OasisBFC
Imperial Ghosty
azania
guildfordbat
compelling and rich
TRUSSMAN66
Nico the gman
88Chris05
Big Paul
zx1234
Knowsit17
md_fan
Daz
whotobeA
J.Benson II
housedp
Super D Boon
jimdig
Steffan
The genius of PBF
kevchadders
TopHat24/7
Gentleman01
ian_jamsie
Strongback
AlexHuckerby
superflyweight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
School Project
ShahenshahG
Sugar Boy Sweetie
bhb001
huw
Mind the windows Tino.
manos de piedra
The Galveston Giant
No1Jonesy
Rowley
HumanWindmill
Scottrf
sodhat
Fists of Fury
Michaels, Sean
Adam D
52 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Your unpopular Boxing opinion..... - Page 7 Empty Your unpopular Boxing opinion.....

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

This might go down as the worst idea ever with you lot but fortune favours the brave and all that....

One of the other sections has a thread where people post something they truly believe in but goes against popular opinion. In other words, let us know something outlandish which you believe to be true.

Dont make them up and remember the house rules before you go and tear people apart for their post - remember its their opinion and they are entitled to it.

So for example, you might think that Manny won the fight on Saturday comfortably or that Tyson v Bruno had the best opening round ever - let us hear about it and don't be ashamed! Share with your secrets with us all......

Remember - dont post things just to get a reaction. Only post things you actually believe in.

Off you go!

Last edited by Adam D (Hobo) on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Your unpopular Boxing opinion..... - Page 7 Empty Re: Your unpopular Boxing opinion.....

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:03 pm

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:Alex.

In time my young padowan, you will agree with me more often!

2 down, 998 to go.

Sorry Az - you've lost me today. Buster gave Tyson one hell of a mauling - and stylistically would have given anyone a challenge.

Anyway - I'm more concerned because you picked Tony Sibson to beat Greb and Ketchel.

So you're back on 1.

I haven't said anything different. Buster was from another planet that night. Unfortunately so was Tyson.

Greb et al couldn't hit a stationary speed bag without someone holding it for them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Your unpopular Boxing opinion..... - Page 7 Empty Re: Your unpopular Boxing opinion.....

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

Sorry Az - you've lost me today. Buster gave Tyson one hell of a mauling - and stylistically would have given anyone a challenge.

Anyway - I'm more concerned because you picked Tony Sibson to beat Greb and Ketchel.

So you're back on 1.

I haven't said anything different. Buster was from another planet that night. Unfortunately so was Tyson.

Greb et al couldn't hit a stationary speed bag without someone holding it for them.

Proof?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

Not this again...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:08 pm

azania wrote:Greb et al couldn't hit a stationary speed bag without someone holding it for them.
If you truly mean that, log off now.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Not this again...
Laugh Perhaps I should have left it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Watched the documentary Muhammad and Larry on ESPN over christmas, Ali did not look particularly great on the speedbag in that film, maybe he was rubbish as well.

Herbie Hide > Muhammad Ali.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:11 pm

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

“He was never in one spot for more than half a second,” said Gene Tunney, “All my punches were aimed and timed properly but they always wound up hitting empty air. He'd jump in and out, slamming me with a left and whirling me around with his right or the other way around. My arms were plastered with leather and although I jabbed, hooked and crossed, it was like fighting an octopus.”

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:17 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

“He was never in one spot for more than half a second,” said Gene Tunney, “All my punches were aimed and timed properly but they always wound up hitting empty air. He'd jump in and out, slamming me with a left and whirling me around with his right or the other way around. My arms were plastered with leather and although I jabbed, hooked and crossed, it was like fighting an octopus.”

Said the man fighting an octopus.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:18 pm

Must have been a wrongly attributed Tony Galento quote.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

To be fair he posted it in the correct thread...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 21 Nov 2011, 4:34 pm

Stylistically - Douglas would always have given Tyson a challenge. Sure - he didn't come with m/any backup plans - and when presented by Douglas' style - he failed.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:56 pm

oxring wrote:Stylistically - Douglas would always have given Tyson a challenge. Sure - he didn't come with m/any backup plans - and when presented by Douglas' style - he failed.

Someone with a good jab and footwork will always give Tyson trouble. Watch the foght with Tillis and look how much trouble he was in. He won that fight 6 rounds to 4. After he knocked out Holmes, Larry said that a good jab or a bad woman would beat Tyson. He got both.

But I maintain that if he was the tyson of 'old' throwing combos with frightening intensity he would have beaten Buster. After Rooney he became reliant on single punched to get inside where he threw slow combos. Buster wouldn't let him get inside or within punching range. He kept the distance brilliantly and Tyson was reduced to a Haye-esq ambush raids.

And that jab. Jeez. The man had it going on that night, thats for sure.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:57 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

These are the guys who thought ducking a punch was tantamount to cowardice and cheating.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

rowley wrote:Watched the documentary Muhammad and Larry on ESPN over christmas, Ali did not look particularly great on the speedbag in that film, maybe he was rubbish as well.

Herbie Hide > Muhammad Ali.

Yep. He saved it for the opponent's head when it mattered.

Hide > Jeffries Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:03 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Alex

There's a bit of a myth with that one. As Douglas' trainer said if Tyson hadn't trained properly he wouldn't have been able to take the stuff Douglas dished out.
Douglas himself was possessed and not going to be denied, he refused to be intimidated by Tyson and basically broke him.

Douglas was always an enigma who was thought of to be a wasted talent and lacking focus. That fight simply proved that when he got himself targeted was a force to be reckoned with, that and Tyson could be beaten if you stood up to him and actually hit him rather than worrying about what big hook he was going to throw next.

Or it showed Tyson's strength to take such a prolonged beating when he was undertrained.

Buster had the talent but never the minerals. That night he found his minerals and everything clicked and turned on. Unfortunately for Tyson he was switched off.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:27 pm

azania wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

These are the guys who thought ducking a punch was tantamount to cowardice and cheating.

Sure, Tunney was a crude brawler.

Really nice to have you back, az. You're a nice fella and you never get into the nasty stuff. It's just a pity that you didn't actually watch some pre 1960s boxing while you were away so that you might have an occasional clue as to that which you are talking about.

Can't understand how a guy with such a good grasp of modern boxing can make himself appear such a clown when he comments on the older stuff.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:31 pm

Windy

I disrespectfully disagree with you. Its post war boxing and Dempsey.

Tunney was unique in that he actually utilised a jab occassionally and figured out that you are allowed to move your head to make the opponent miss.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:35 pm

Tunney had the skills, smarts, speed, upper body movement, punch variety and toughness to start him as favourite against any lightheavyweight or cruiser fighting today.

He took an absolute pasting from Greb, first time out, and many believed he lost their second encounter also.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:37 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Tunney had the skills, smarts, speed, upper body movement, punch variety and toughness to start him as favourite against any lightheavyweight or cruiser fighting today.

He took an absolute pasting from Greb, first time out, and many believed he lost their second encounter also.

In answer to the thread.

Windy should be prevented from putting Azania in a guillotine? Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:41 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Tunney had the skills, smarts, speed, upper body movement, punch variety and toughness to start him as favourite against any lightheavyweight or cruiser fighting today.

Bert Sugar rates him highly. I will spend a little time searching for some of his fights. But from what I have seen of these guys, they move similarly to claymation characters. Think Wallace and Gromit. Talented as they may have been, they lack the skills that developed over time. Plus their level of competition was a joke to be polite.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

azania wrote:

Bert Sugar rates him highly. I will spend a little time searching for some of his fights. But from what I have seen of these guys, they move similarly to claymation characters. Think Wallace and Gromit. Talented as they may have been, they lack the skills that developed over time. Plus their level of competition was a joke to be polite.

That's advances in television - not advances in boxing az.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:50 pm

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:

Ha. You've become pretty sharp since I've been away. What happened?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:51 pm

azania wrote:

To be polite, you wouldn't know, since you've never researched the period. Harry Greb has probably the best record in the history of pro boxing.

Anyway, I'm off for the night so I guess we'll need to pick this up tomorrow. If history ( colour, of course, ) is anything to go by I could log off till next summer and find you still banging away on this tired old drum.

Have a great evening, one and all. I'm off for a Horlicks and a dozen valium.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:

To be polite, you wouldn't know, since you've never researched the period. Harry Greb has probably the best record in the history of pro boxing.

Anyway, I'm off for the night so I guess we'll need to pick this up tomorrow. If history ( colour, of course, ) is anything to go by I could log off till next summer and find you still banging away on this tired old drum.

Goodnight my Friend - still need to sedate that whopper with Valium? Alex must be drooling at the mouth.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 21 Nov 2011, 7:53 pm

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:
azania wrote:

Ha. You've become pretty sharp since I've been away. What happened?

One year older and 12 months closer to finals mate.

Anyway - apologies if this is brusque - I'm off to training tonight and have a car-load of people nagging me.

Rhonanai mate - and put this into a separate debate thread! That way you'll give more of the forum a chance to disagree with you/more chance to make it 3/100 Wink!
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:

Have a great evening. But as you know records are meaningless when your opponents can barely lace a pair of gloves. thumbsup

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 21 Nov 2011, 8:04 pm

Well, they didn't have the advances in lacing technology that're available today...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:11 pm

Scottrf wrote:Bruce Forsyth is shot.

Hahaha, seriously what is up with this guy? Does his:

a) play along with the notion that he's being set up as a point of ridicule just because he loves the sound of an audience laughing (at) with him

or, more worringly

b) still think he's relevant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 21 Nov 2011, 9:19 pm

TumblingDice wrote:

a) play along with the notion that he's being set up as a point of ridicule just because he loves the sound of an audience laughing (at) with him

or, more worringly

Who, Scott?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TumblingDice wrote:

or, more worringly

Who, Scott?
Nice anolgy

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Mon 21 Nov 2011, 10:29 pm

Mike Tyson wasn't all of a sudden past his prime after 1990 at 24!

Both fighters should be made to wear the same coloured gloves ! Red ones without them mumbo jumbo logos printed on them!

Any fighters dancing on the way to ring, or wearing any cosmetics (sunglasses ect) Should be immediately fined there purse.

Referees over the last 15 years have stopped the fight far too early, you can stun someone these days a win a TKO

Box nation has been a great so far plenty of action and stacked with fights and people should stop worrying about if it goes bellies up who cares enjoy boxing whilst its get broadcasted, who gives a fig whose in the studio bleating on, I just like watching boxing

Some usually unpopular feelings of mine.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 22 Nov 2011, 1:45 am

Good to see we've stopped going round in circles about the old timers at last.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Tue 22 Nov 2011, 7:14 am

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

Dear me, this is a joke surely? Greb was one of the finest practitioners of the sport ever to step into the square circle.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 22 Nov 2011, 8:14 am

and we are back to circles ladies and gents!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:10 am

Colonial Lion wrote:
azania wrote:
oxring wrote:

2 down, 998 to go.

So you're back on 1.

Dear me, this is a joke surely? Greb was one of the finest practitioners of the sport ever to step into the square circle.

To be honest it is not even worth debating. I am more than happy to accept many, myself included can be accused of over rating the old timers, will also happily accept pre 1920's the view that the skillset was less developed or that people can be too willing to make allowances for losses of old timers they do not make for modern guys, all are valid views worthy of debate and response. However to say the likes of Greb or Ketchel would lose to Sibson is just moronic. The fact they are expressed in a polite manner or from someone who is quite coherent on other issues does not make them any less moronic or worthy of debate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:11 am

I can't believe anyone can think a pro boxer can't use a speed bag. I look pro on one.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 22 Nov 2011, 9:12 am

Scottrf wrote:I can't believe anyone can think a pro boxer can't use a speed bag. I look pro on one.

Laugh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7