The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler

+55
Majestic83
21st Century Schizoid Man
SecretFly
Seagultaf
Gatts
HERSH
Welshmushroom
beshocked
LondonTiger
XR
funnyExiledScot
Kingshu
bedfordwelsh
Imperialbigdave
Irish Londoner
RDW
mpc28
PJHolybloke
MrsP
gowales
justified sinner
gelodge
Shifty
dogtooth
RuckingFlanker86
Scot Abroad
Smirnoffpriest
J_D
takethelongroad
TheDukeofCool
rodders
wales606
munkian
B91212
welsh-matfield
Morgannwg
Chjw131
Knowsit17
mckay1402
Cymroglan
bluestonevedder
propdavid_london
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
TycroesOsprey
jimlewtheblue
Notch
Adam D
Glas a du
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Pat_Mustard
Dorothy_Mantooth
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
59 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler - Page 3 Empty another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

First topic message reminder :

All, I've split a lot of the Shingler debate off the Scottish squad thread and merged it into this one. Unfortunately the board software puts the oldest post as the thread OP, so welsh-matfield's original OP is buried a ways down now. Hence I've quoted his OP post below:

welsh-matfield wrote:
another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler
by welsh-matfield Yesterday at 15:18

Over the past six months Wales have lost three young players under the age of 22 to Ireland and Scotland respectively with James loxton, Matthew Jarvis and now Steven Shingler pledging there international loyaltly elsewhere. why it was only a couple of months ago steven shingler was stating his desire to break into the welsh squad http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15773032.stm. this is a concerning issue, especially as wales pool of depth is often so small and although the acadamies are thriving other nations seem to be taking advantage of this fact

Below here is my original post on the Scottish squad thread

rugbydreamer wrote:He played for the U20's Wales team in the 6N's last year. Now I always get confused with Welsh Qualification, but doesn't that mean he's WQ and can't play for anyone else? Headscratch

Does anyone know if Wales are still designating the U20s as their "A" side?

Actually, from memory after the Connacht pair's eligilbity debate last year, wan't it decided that "A" games had to be against other country's "A" or full international side to count? I could be totally wrong though Headscratch

Last edited by Kiwireddevil on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler - Page 3 Empty Re: another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler

Post by rodders Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:14 pm

If those guys are as bad as that Ruddock fella you offloaded onto us then I wouldn't worry too much about it..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler - Page 3 Empty Re: another concerning issue for the WRU over Steven shingler

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:15 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Well, that's a bonus, mckay - not sure that Brendan Laney had ever heard of the place when he got the call!!

I'm not sure if Chainsaw had heard of anywhere North of Christchurch when he got the call Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDukeofCool Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:16 pm

Did they not also have an "A" Team at the 2009 IRB Nations Cup?

TheDukeofCool

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

It's still debatable whether he had heard of rugby
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

A ha. SCOTLAND HAVEN'T BOOBED AFTER ALL!

Sorry.

ahem.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

If it started on 1 January 2000 then the last 4 year period would have been 1 January 2008 - 31 dec 2011. So if they had an A team in 2008 then it's probable that it was still their designated second senior team up until last weekend, even if they haven't played since 2010.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by takethelongroad Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:23 pm

Just wondering if Scott Johnson had a hand in this?....

takethelongroad

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:24 pm

Glas a du wrote:A ha. SCOTLAND HAVEN'T BOOBED AFTER ALL!

Sorry.

ahem.
Have you been wumming, you naughty devil?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by J_D Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:28 pm

Had now idea Shingler was eligible

J_D

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDukeofCool Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:31 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:If it started on 1 January 2000 then the last 4 year period would have been 1 January 2008 - 31 dec 2011. So if they had an A team in 2008 then it's probable that it was still their designated second senior team up until last weekend, even if they haven't played since 2010.

I maybe wrong, but I read into that statement that their "A" will be said team until they no longer want it to be and advise the IRB, then comes the "sort of 4 year cooling off period"...... so ththe Next rep team for the French will not be the U20 until 2014ish or am just reading it all wrong?

TheDukeofCool

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:33 pm

Scotland the filthy poachers.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:48 pm

TheDukeofCool wrote:
Pat_Mustard wrote:If it started on 1 January 2000 then the last 4 year period would have been 1 January 2008 - 31 dec 2011. So if they had an A team in 2008 then it's probable that it was still their designated second senior team up until last weekend, even if they haven't played since 2010.

I maybe wrong, but I read into that statement that their "A" will be said team until they no longer want it to be and advise the IRB, then comes the "sort of 4 year cooling off period"...... so ththe Next rep team for the French will not be the U20 until 2014ish or am just reading it all wrong?

That's possible, it's not very clear. I think it means that once the nomination was made on 1 January 2000, then it couldn't be changed for 4 years. I'm just assuming that it would then repeat, so they would have to make another nomination on 1 January 2004 which would last for 4 years again, and so on. But maybe not.

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDukeofCool Thu 05 Jan 2012, 4:53 pm

Pat_Mustard wrote:
TheDukeofCool wrote:

That's possible, it's not very clear. I think it means that once the nomination was made on 1 January 2000, then it couldn't be changed for 4 years. I'm just assuming that it would then repeat, so they would have to make another nomination on 1 January 2004 which would last for 4 years again, and so on. But maybe not.

Pat, the more i read it, the more I think you are right..... Damm laywers speak! Either way, it should mean that Shingler is eligible... you would hope! ;-)

TheDukeofCool

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm

TheDukeofCool wrote:
Pat_Mustard wrote:
TheDukeofCool wrote:

Pat, the more i read it, the more I think you are right..... Damm laywers speak! Either way, it should mean that Shingler is eligible... you would hope! ;-)

yeah, otherwise it'll be an embarrassing u-turn from a red-faced Mr Robinson tomorrow when he realises what's happened. That or a minimum fine of £100,000 if he doesn't realise.

by the way, this is all coming from here: http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs/regulations/02/02/66/59/irbregulationsrelatingtothegameeng.pdf

a rich source of fascinating information for geeks and procrastinators alike!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:03 pm

I'm gutted about this as thought Steven had a lot of potential and like you say in a few years could be a very good player, am glad we've got Aaron but wouldn't like to say which one's better as their both good

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 05 Jan 2012, 5:23 pm

WOW, 2 pages discussing whether Shingler is eligible to play or not. Let’s get back to the topic in hand. I understand why Robbo picked the players from the WC, with them being very familiar with each other, but that doesn’t mean they are the right choices. The inclusion of Danielli, Parks, Lawson and Morrison among the backs show that he has again picked these players on reputation rather than form. We are not going to make an impact on the 6N if we stay with the old guard.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:10 pm

Aaron is more valuable to us at the moment, back 5 forward and with AWJ and Charteris out of the 6N plus the injury track record Ian Evans has he could become pretty useful.
Steven probably saw Priestland, Morgan, Biggar and maybe Tovey ahead of him and thought he'd be better off picking up caps for Scotland. I doubt he would have saw any action at 12 with us either.

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:37 pm

Shingler has a Scottish mother but played for Wales Under-20s.

Wales challenge Steven Shingler's Scotland call-up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16419741.stm

i think wru might be being a bit tight. if the lad can get a scotland cap then he should be alowed to go for it. i dont think a jnr cap means you are stuck with that union
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:38 pm

It does in Wales though, dogtooth, because we don't have an A team.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimlewtheblue Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:44 pm

Here we go... I had wondered how long it would take! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16419741.stm

Last edited by Adam D on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited the link for you.)

jimlewtheblue

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:49 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:It does in Wales though, dogtooth, because we don't have an A team.

chin

you have a point. but still, if the lad hasnt got a cap then he can play for who he likes. maybe we should have that a' team
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:51 pm

THe issue is him playing against France at the U20's as that is their 2nd team as well, so being capped in that game meant he can only play for Wales.

Not sure to be honest. All a bit confusing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

Yeah apparently the WRU have officialy challenged this saying that he had been informed he was tied to Wales if he played in the France Wales U20s game as it was listed as an A international.

Howarth the flip could the SRU be this stupid.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:57 pm

Shinglers right to play for Scotland has been challenged by the WRU on the grounds the France Wales U20 game he played in was an A international.

Whoops.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

I know this is going to sound a bit nasty, but I don't care about Steven Shingler, it rankles me that young Welsh lads are being targeted by Ireland, Loxton, Jarvis, the Ruddock brothers, they also made an approach to Tom Prydie.

But.. Scotland nicking 1 player who Wales frankly don't need is not bothering me too much, they have terrible depth and need every half decent player they can get.

Wales have 26 year old Hook,
23 year old Priestland,
22 year old Biggar,
19 year old Matthew Morgan,
22 year old Tovey, and
21 year old Steffan Jones, not to mention old heads like
Stephen Jones,
Gavin Henson and
Nicky Robinson fighting it out at fly half.

Do we really need to have a pop at Scotland for taking this player? Which frankly Wales don't need anyway!
Shingler is far better than Dan Parks and probably better than Scotlands young fly Halves, so let him go, hopefully he can drag Scotland out of the doldrums.

Wales produce a silly amount of talented backs, as long as we don;t lose any "worthwhile" forwards I don't really mind.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

Only what a fair few of us have been saying all day biscuit!

Depends on waht France have to say, they were unclear on it before when we had the issue with Jarvis and the other one moving to Ireland for the start of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 05 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

its not clear at all. i think the wru think they have a solid case. it really doesnt seem at all fair on shingler.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:04 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

But.. Scotland nicking 1 player who Wales frankly don't need is not bothering me too much, they have terrible depth and need every half decent player they can get.

thumbsup

harsh

as for the ruddock boys, they didnt want anything to do with the wru after all that nonsense in 06
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

We’ve established that France had both an A team and an U-20s team in 2010. If you have an A team can you designate your U-20 team as the 2nd XV? I suppose it wouldn’t matter but what would be the point in having the A team then? With the IRB rules that you can only change you’re nominated 2nd XV team every 4 years, France would have had to do that in 2008.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/16419741.stm

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:08 pm

Shingler would fit the Lions ethos well, a Scottish international born & raised in Wales, playing in England for London Irish.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:08 pm

Did France have an A team in 2008?

If they just had the U20's taht would have been their selected taem for the 4 years, wouldn't matter if the A team was brought in then later in 2010/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

dogtooth wrote:its not clear at all. i think the wru think they have a solid case. it really doesnt seem at all fair on shingler.

I don't think Wales will win because Loxton and Jarvis played against France U20, however they got off being tied to Wales as the WRU had a duty to get in writing the players were tieing themselves to Wales by playing against France U20, the WRU didn't do this.

The Loxton and Jarvis eligibility row erupted in June 2011, and Shingler played full back against France in the U20 games in March, so it's likely the WRU were again negligent in making sure the players were aware a game against France would make them eligible for any other country.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

According to the WRU statement all the players were told when they were selected for that game that it would tie them to Welsh qualification. Either they or the SRU have royally screwed up it seems.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:13 pm

AlynDavies wrote:I know this is going to sound a bit nasty, but I don't care about Steven Shingler, it rankles me that young Welsh lads are being targeted by Ireland, Loxton, Jarvis, the Ruddock brothers, they also made an approach to Tom Prydie.

23 year old Priestland,
22 year old Biggar,
22 year old Tovey, and
Stephen Jones,
Gavin Henson and

Do we really need to have a pop at Scotland for taking this player? Which frankly Wales don't need anyway!
Shingler is far better than Dan Parks and probably better than Scotlands young fly Halves, so let him go, hopefully he can drag Scotland out of the doldrums.

Wales produce a silly amount of talented backs, as long as we don;t lose any "worthwhile" forwards I don't really mind.

It doesn't matter if we want him or not - we need to make a stand and set a precedent - we are the smallest of the Six Nations and need to stop bigger nations offering caps to our youth who we've invested time and money in.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:21 pm

wouldn't surprise me if it was both!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

Rules regarding eligibility are there for a reason and they need to be clarified.
A player should not need to be told these things it's up to them to read the rules or simply just ask if they are then committed to the Welsh shirt if they are selected for the U20s.
There is no excuse for a 18+ year old not knowing if he has nailed his colours to the mast or not.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because I'm thick)

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

munkian wrote:It doesn't matter if we want him or not - we need to make a stand and set a precedent - we are the smallest of the Six Nations and need to stop bigger nations offering caps to our youth who we've invested time and money in.

We live in a very cosmopolitan world now, and players with multi national qualifications are pretty much the norm now, I agree that this kind of poaching is a bit dodgy, and Irelands policy of pretty much trying to tie down anyone in the Welsh system who is duel qualified is sickening but that's life.
They have done it since Saint Patrick, they tried it in 1996 with promising Neath half backs Matthew McCarthy and Patrick Horgan and they still do it today! Laugh

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:28 pm

munkian wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:I know this is going to sound a bit nasty, but I don't care about Steven Shingler, it rankles me that young Welsh lads are being targeted by Ireland, Loxton, Jarvis, the Ruddock brothers, they also made an approach to Tom Prydie.

23 year old Priestland,
22 year old Biggar,
22 year old Tovey, and
Stephen Jones,
Gavin Henson and

It doesn't matter if we want him or not - we need to make a stand and set a precedent - we are the smallest of the Six Nations and need to stop bigger nations offering caps to our youth who we've invested time and money in.

I agree with Munkian here but I'd go a step further and point out that this is out of Wales' hands. It's not
Wales being petty but an IRB law/directive. Neither Wales not Scotland can bend the residency rules just because either we need a player or they do. If the IRB rules state that you have to name your first and second representative teams, plus your 7s team, and some countries nominate their U20s, then we have to obey the IRB law and what it means if you represent the nations 2nd team.

This will become another 'Wales being bast*rds' thread again when it is the IRB who will decide and ultimately uphold or break their own laws, not Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

either i am too kind or you are a bunch of grump old ba5tards.

i agree, it should be very clear cut and there should be no room for misunderstanding. just like the game itself Wink
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:33 pm

Griff wrote:Neither Wales not Scotland can bend the residency rules just because either we need a player or they do.

You did know David Hilton qualified to play for Scotland and got 41 caps thanks to his Scottish born grand father who was born in Bristol.

Bret Sinkinson also qualified for Wales thanks to his Welsh born Grand father who was born in Oldham.

IRB rules... really? Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:34 pm

SRU statement

Thursday, 05 January 2012 Scottish Rugby complies with International Rugby Board regulations and guidelines regarding the status of potentially Scotland qualified players. Today we have named Steven Shingler in our squad for the opening two matches of the 2012 RBS 6 Nations Championship. Steven’s mother was born in Dumfries and although he played for Wales under-20 against France under-20 last season, Steven has confirmed to Scottish Rugby that he declined to sign a declaration from the WRU that he was committed solely to representing Wales at senior level. Steven has informed us that he made it clear that he wished to leave open his international eligibility as he was also eligible to represent Scotland and England as well as Wales. Scottish Rugby believes we have acted in good faith in this matter and have also taken cognisance of an IRB ruling last year concerning two players who played for Wales under-20 against France under-20 in 2010 who now play for Connacht and are eligible for Ireland. We are liaising with the IRB on this matter.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:44 pm

Why not show the WRU the courtesy of a little phone call and liaising with the IRB BEFORE making their announcement.

Forms signed, who cares.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:49 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
Griff wrote:Neither Wales not Scotland can bend the residency rules just because either we need a player or they do.

You did know David Hilton qualified to play for Scotland and got 41 caps thanks to his Scottish born grand father who was born in Bristol.

Bret Sinkinson also qualified for Wales thanks to his Welsh born Grand father who was born in Oldham.

IRB rules... really? Headscratch

Which is exactly why they've now tightened up on the rules. We can't suddenly bend the rules because Scotland may or may not need to develop in certain positions (incidentally Scotland ate looking pretty good in the 10 position if you ask me).

If this was Samoa, for example, and they didn't have an A team so used U20s as there 2nd team (this may actually be true) them we'd all be up in arms if one of their U20s was poached by NZ. And rightly so as this is why this law was written, I.e. to stop the player drain. What's the difference here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 7:55 pm

Griff wrote:Which is exactly why they've now tightened up on the rules. We can't suddenly bend the rules because Scotland may or may not need to develop in certain positions (incidentally Scotland ate looking pretty good in the 10 position if you ask me).

If this was Samoa, for example, and they didn't have an A team so used U20s as there 2nd team (this may actually be true) them we'd all be up in arms if one of their U20s was poached by NZ. And rightly so as this is why this law was written, I.e. to stop the player drain. What's the difference here.

The actual point I made was the WRU has Wales U20 are Wales designated second team, however it was revealed in June 2011 that they hadnt made sure that players who played for them had been made aware that to play for them against France would nail them down to Welsh representation ONLy, in the future.
That is how Loxton and Jarvis were deemed to be still eligible for Ireland, as Shingler played for Wales in March, 3 months prior to the the Irish / Welsh row breaking out, then it could be assumed the WRU made the same mistake in Shinglers case.

Only time will tell.

Samoa A play in the IRB Pacific Rugby Cup with Fiji Warriors (Their A team), and Tonga A, they also play against some Super 15 second teams. Ryhs Llewellyn played for Crusader Knights, the Canterbury Crusaders academy side against them. thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:00 pm

I reckon the WRU would have pushed this through even if the SRU had discussions with them just to be pests.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

If I had the opportunity of wearing the Welsh shirt no bu$$er would get it off me.
And if somebody put a form in front of me asking me to commit myself to the senior side I would wonder why I would even need to be asked.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:11 pm

"Steven has informed us that he made it clear that he wished to leave open his international eligibility as he was also eligible to represent Scotland and England as well as Wales."

How is he qualified for England aswell then? laughing
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:16 pm

Morgannwg wrote:"Steven has informed us that he made it clear that he wished to leave open his international eligibility as he was also eligible to represent Scotland and England as well as Wales."

How is he qualified for England aswell then? laughing
I seem to rememeber reading him being born England, but according to Wiki that i not true. Headscratch
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 05 Jan 2012, 8:17 pm

His brother was born in England

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next