The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trump International Golf Links

+24
Shotrock
barragan
kwinigolfer
princedracula
Diggers
Doon the Water
Gareth_NI
JeffCarnage
puligny
pedro
thedamned3putt
Bob_the_Job
oldparwin
Caito
dynamark
SpacemanSpiff
ScottieD18
navyblueshorts
McLaren
gaelgowfer
Skydriver
super_realist
JAS
EmmDee57
28 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Trump International Golf Links - Page 7 Empty Trump International Golf Links

Post by EmmDee57 Mon 22 Oct 2012, 9:14 am

First topic message reminder :

Very interesting documentary worth watching was on BBC2 last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nln7g/Youve_Been_Trumped/

After watching it, I have no urge to play there after what that man has done to the local people. Nor did it put the local police in a good light either.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Trump International Golf Links - Page 7 Empty Re: Trump International Golf Links

Post by McLaren Thu 24 Nov 2016, 8:35 pm

super

I think it is more likely that Golf Monthly are clueless when it comes to golf course architecture.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Trump International Golf Links - Page 7 Empty Re: Trump International Golf Links

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2016, 7:49 am

McLaren wrote:super

I think it is more likely that Golf Monthly are clueless when it comes to golf course architecture.

Of course, you know better don't you? Rolling Eyes

On every review I have read, Trump Turnberry's renovation has been praised to the sky. Why would you assume it was just a misunderstanding of golf course architecture and not a job well done?

Have you played it since it was finished? No. So what would you know? I doubt you've even seen it. Shows that you can't be objective and just can't accept that Trump was responsible for something positive.

If they know nothing about course architecture then you won't be happy to see TOC so high up either then?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:44 am

robopz wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:You did JAS. I don't think he's legally allowed to have any contact with his business interests at all. Others in his position have used those blind trust thingies.
actually Navy, from everything I've heard from the lawyer type talking heads.... there is no "legal prohibition" that says he couldn't continue contact with his business interests. But Practically and politically speaking, it's near if not entirely impossible to do so not only due do the "optics", but because certain types of conflict of interests are illegal.
Think you're right there. After a bit more reading, apparently those rules don't actually apply to a President or President-elect picard. Still, would be very difficult politically for Trump to fall foul of obvious nepotism claims and enriching himself as President.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Nov 2016, 8:46 am

navyblueshorts wrote:enriching himself as President.
I'm sure that's very high on his agenda.....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 25 Nov 2016, 9:08 am

MontysMerkin wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:enriching himself as President.
I'm sure that's very high on his agenda.....
Sadly, I suspect you're right. I don't think he sees this as anything other than a way to promote 'Brand Trump' and make money.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2016, 9:10 am

It's about time people started realising this could be comedy gold having Trump in charge of America. There's every chance it is going to be a disaster and the first one term only President since George H. Bush.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 25 Nov 2016, 9:58 am

super_realist wrote:It's about time people started realising this could be comedy gold having Trump in charge of America. There's every chance it is going to be a disaster and the first one term only President since George H. Bush.

He may turn out to be a big surprise, you never know, logic says not but logic said he was never going to make it to office either.

Incidentally if he did get bumped, impeached or had to resign in disgrace after being caught humping an oval office cleaner, the backup (Pence) apparently isn't much further up the sanity scale. Apparently he wants "Correction therapy" for gay people...beggars belief that high ranking politicians can spout such ideas and not be sectioned.

Are bookies quoting yet on him being re-elected in 2020?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 25 Nov 2016, 10:11 am

Super

I thought you said Trumpton Aberdeen had been given the top spot. Anyway as good as Turnberry is it isn't the best course in Scotland or the UK.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2016, 1:08 pm

How would you know Mac? You admit to having played hardly any of them.

I didn't say Trump Aberdeen had been given it, what are you on about.

JAS, they always say that if you're a loony politician, you should always have a back up who is even more of a lunatic as it makes you look good. Imagine Palin or Romney in power?
Just shows how laughable American politics is. We should actually be thankful we have a better system here.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Nov 2016, 1:50 pm

Yay we're better than Poopie - what admirably low standards you set for yourself...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2016, 1:54 pm

Churchill once said, Democracy is the worst system, except for all the others.

So yes, it might not be great in the UK, but at least it's better than the others.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

Truly inspirational, the race to the bottom is well under way.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:35 pm

What are you doing to change it then Monty? Nothing I imagine.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Nov 2016, 2:45 pm

You should change that to 'I imagine nothing'. Twould be more appropriate...

To celebrate that we're better than something which is well below aspirational is quite extraordinary (although maybe a cultural thing) and I can only imagine this must be some sort of internet forum shtick. If it isn't, I wonder if that attitude could be the reason you change your shirt in the car park, not the changing room like a 'normal' person.

Wondering if you may be on the autistic spectrum or 12.... chin

MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:08 pm

How did I celebrate it? You've no idea how I said it.  I could have been saying it in a way like it's better to have cancer than full blown ebola. That's simply taking stock of the situation and being grateful because things could always be worse. Would you rather the UK had the American political system? No, so all I was saying is be thankful we don't.
However, nice sidestep as it's clear you are doing nothing about the state of politics yo proclaim to care so deeply about. If you felt strongly, surely you would be doing something? The most vocal about politics are usually the ones that do least about it.

Why would I waste time in a changing room? If I'm having to change at all, it's probably because I've been in some sort of rush. It makes no sense to go into the clubhouse and then come back again. If you knew St.Andrews you'd also know that you can sometimes be parked a thousand yards from any changing facilities. I doubt anyone could be arsed to go there to change when they could just slip a shirt off in the car park.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 25 Nov 2016, 3:38 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/in-scotland-trump-built-a-wall-then-he-sent-residents-the-bill/ar-AAkJumq?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 17 Jan 2018, 2:01 pm

Not sure if any of you have heard about the Mike Keiser, of Bandon Dunes fame, project near Dornoch but it looks like the story is about to closely mirror that of Trumpton International; billionaire trys to build golf course on north east SSSI.

Here is a recent article on the situation. https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16892904/not-coul-links-scotland-golf-course-mike-keiser-conservation

Locals are trying to block the project on environmental grounds and it will be no surprise to anyone that I support them. Scotland has enough empty courses as it is without wrecking a unique site so that another course with £200+ green fees gets played a couple of times a day.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 18 Jan 2018, 8:01 am

What if it was a Doak 5 Mac?

You do know that an SSSI is a very loose term right?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 18 Jan 2018, 12:16 pm

I bet Colt, Braid, MacKenzie etc never had lentil munching, sandal wearing, snowflakey tree huggers harassing them in the golden age of golf course design :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 28 Jun 2019, 10:04 am

At least we don't have to worry about the sssi that Trump built on because it is now trashed.

BBC News - Trump golf course dunes to lose special status
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48789620
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 28 Jun 2019, 12:58 pm

Meanwhile...anybody playing the Men’s Open there on Sept 14th?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 28 Jun 2019, 1:12 pm

Just had quite an interesting read back through this old thread...a few interesting movements from 2012
1. Gael has disappeared
2. The owner has become the Potus
3. The course HAS made the upper echelons of most Top Course lists

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 28 Jun 2019, 2:28 pm

The trouble with SSI sites,woodland trust,listed buildings is that they are preserved status but that means generally very difficult to enjoy access .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 28 Jun 2019, 4:17 pm

McLaren wrote:At least we don't have to worry about the sssi that Trump built on because it is now trashed.

BBC News - Trump golf course dunes to lose special status
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48789620

I think you are taking the word "special" too literally Mac.

There is nothing particularly special or unique about that area, or many other SSSI's.

There's an SSSI in the village I grew up in which is nothing more than a duck pond and a few plants. If it were to lose its status as an SSSI I doubt anyone would even notice and seriously doubt they would know it as an SSSI to begin with.

As I said earlier in the thread you've never even been there by your own admission, so having never seen it before, or since it was built who really cares what your opinion is about it?, because all that you are really trying to do is use it as another rod to beat Trump with. Pretty pathetic really.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 28 Jun 2019, 5:40 pm

Super

That is the text that is inserted when you paste the link. Take it up with the BBC Web team.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 29 Jun 2019, 7:02 am

You're the one who posted it Mac. If you didn't agree with it why didn't you actually comment something?

If the course was owned by Richard Branson I seriously doubt you would mention it at all.

We all dislike Trump I would imagine, but it doesn't mean he can't do some things well, and some of his golf courses are gems, even if it has led to the "downgrading" of a small piece of scruffy land

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 29 Jun 2019, 7:58 am

Honestly Branson is probably as much of a bell end as trump, just thankfully he hasn't entered politics.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 29 Jun 2019, 8:15 am

I hate trump. I'm still going to turnberry in august!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7