The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales moving forward

+11
dogtooth
fa0019
Luckless Pedestrian
samuraidragon
emack2
Casartelli
Cadair Idris
TycroesOsprey
thebluesmancometh
glamorganalun
Liam
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wales moving forward - Page 2 Empty Wales moving forward

Post by Liam Tue 04 Dec 2012, 8:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well, for us Welsh fans and the team this Autumn has been somewhat of a disaster to be frank. Abismal performances vs Samoa and Argentina were unexpected to say the least, with the hoodoo against the AB's continued despite a positive second half performance and well, same old same old vs Australia. So what went wrong and what can be improved on imo.

Team Selection

Its time now Wales stopped picking people for their name and past performances. Obvious examples include Jenkins, Roberts, Preistland and Phillips. These guys lacked game time and form and still played. When all on top form and fit, no doubt most would make the team. Key here though is they weren't and it cost us big time.

When you have players such as Biggar, James, Hook, Byrne, G.Davies, Smith, Hughes etc all slugging away and putting in good performance after good performance for their clubs, what it does it do to their confidence when despiter playing well, players who aren't and have played very little rugby are in ahead of the consistently. Gareth Davies being the most obvious case, as somehow despite him starting ahead of Knoyle in tfor the Scarlets, Knoyle get's reserve SH whilst Davies is left at home. How?

Tactics

Crash ball, kicking down the middle, slow ball at rucks, line out going wrong. Heard that quite a few times this Autumn. The biggest mistake in tactics for me being the kicking game.

Wales for some time have been obsessed with using a kicking game. When done properly, it works well, as a good chase can really peg your opponents back and cause a mistake. However, both our kicking and chasing is below par to say the least. How many times have got the ball, with 3 men at the back and just lumped it, straight down the middle, with no time to put together a meaningful chase and gthe opposition have ran it back 40 odd metres and earned a penalty or even scored a try. I'm sick of it. We have talented players who, with ball in hand and running are as good as many of the top tier nations. Give them the ball, show the opposition what you can do rather than just lumping it aimlessly down the throat of the opposition FB.

The crash ball worked well for Lions and for us for quite some time with Roberts. Now, he's very much been targeted and makes little ground as 2 tacklers are there everytime waiting for him. Other sides will adapt to this but Wales haven't. Roberts instantly attracts at least 2 defenders every time, so why not use him as a decoy and have North/JD2/ 1/2p running on the outside to exploit the space. No, every time we go to Roberts.

Coaching

Gatland not being there has clearly had an effect in my view. Howley is not ready for being a head coach. Great player but coaching is a whole different ball game and until you've been a head coach its very hard to get the best out of a side without that coaching experience.

From what i've heard, Neil Jenkins when asked to take some of the training sessions has been outstanding, and from what i've heard the difference between Howley's training sessions and Jenks are like watching two different sides. Maybe Jenks needs to come to the forefront a bit more and take more of a lead. Personally, I would like another coach to come in and allow Howley just to take care of the backs again, he's out of his depth, not his fault by any means.

So my team going forward would be:

1. James
2. Owens
3. Jones
4. Evans
5. Charteris
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Webb/Davies i'm undecided
10. Hook
11. North
12. Beck/Henson if he can get some games under his belt
13. JD2
14. Cuthbert
15. 1/2p

16. Jenkins
17. Hibbard
18. Jarvis
19. Jones
20. Tipuric
21. Davies/Webb
22. Biggar
23. S.Williams

Liam

Back to top Go down

Wales moving forward - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales moving forward

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Dec 2012, 2:04 pm

Blue,

Hibbard has still not convinced me and I do like Owens so I would go with James Owens Jones.

I agree about Andrews over Mitchell and even though I have criticised him in the past lets not hope its a flash in the pan. Also Jarvis looked good, I would love for Lewis Roberts to be involved but can't see it and hopefully Gill will get back in the mix.

As for the backs I would go for Sc Williams and JD in the centre with a back 3 of North Li Williams Halfpenny.

That would leave the likes of Roberts, Cuthbert and Beck fighting it out for then bench spot.

To back them up as well I really hope Prydie gets back involved.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 05 Dec 2012, 5:26 pm

BlueNote wrote:First choice front row should be James, Hibbard, Adam J.

In the queue behind Adam I'd currently have Scott Andrews before Mitchell, although maybe we'll see whether it was a flash in the pan.

It's very difficult to leave out two of Roberts, Scott W, JD2, North, Cuthbert, 1/2p and Liam W. I think the one I'd leave out of my 22 or whatever it is now would be Roberts on current form.

thumbsup

(not sure if hibbard is the best option but otherwize) spot on.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:22 pm

'I really hope Prydie gets back involved..'

He's looking pretty good, bedford.

Hibbard had the better of Owen in the derby, he seems that little bit stronger to me, but they're both terrific players.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 05 Dec 2012, 6:46 pm

Haven't seen Hibbard step up to international level yet unlike Owens but obviously there's plenty of time.

I hope we also don't forget about Rhis Gill, who I think is a fine LH and did well when up against Ireland. James should be ahead but going forward I'd like to see Gill and James with Bevvington backing up those two. Be nice to have Mitchell back as well, he's a quality TH.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 05 Dec 2012, 8:31 pm

Is Mitchell that good or was he best of the bunch coming through at the time?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2