The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7!

+6
BigTrevsbigmac
HammerofThunor
Taylorman
maestegmafia
hjumpshoe
Shifty
10 posters

Go down

Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7! Empty Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7!

Post by Shifty Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:45 pm

Interesting one this, the Lions are talking about who is going to play 7, yet if you go back to the U20 2008 World Cup then both players were in the same team and neither was actually at 7!

If Dan Franks kept them both out of the team, what happened to him? Shocked

Quite a lot of Welsh internationals in that team there! Yet they were still smashed 31-6 by New Zealand. Headscratch

1 Ryan Bevington
2 Ryan Prosser
3 Scott Andrews
4 Haydn Pugh
5 Josh Turnbull
6 Justin Tipuric
7 Dan Franks
8 Sam Warburton (C)
9 Rhys Webb
10 Daniel Biggar
11 Jimmy Norris
12 Gareth Owen
13 Jonathan Davies
14 Leigh Halfpenny
15 Daniel Evans

16 Ben Roberts (R)
17 Sam Hobbs (R)
18 Patrick Palmer (R)
19 Lloyd Phillips (R)
20 Ashley Sweet (R)
21 Gareth Williams
22 Luke Ford (R)

http://www.irb.com/jwc/matches/match=10622/index.html
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7! Empty Re: Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7!

Post by hjumpshoe Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:16 pm

That was a good young welsh team and lots of them have gone on to make the grade! My abiding memory of that team though is 1/2p's last second conversion from wide out to clinch the semi from France and the ruck that followed. Don't remember Dan Franks TBH, thought Josh Turnball was the 3rd member of that back row!

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7! Empty Re: Tipuric and Warburton in the same team, but neither at 7!

Post by hjumpshoe Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:19 pm

egg just spotted Turnball at 5! Not how I remember it but a lots happened since then!

hjumpshoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm

Most of them are still about:

Jason Tovey was in the squad.

Gareth Owen is at the Scarlets. he got called into the Wales squad in 2009, but wasn't capped.

Hydn Pugh is unlucky he wasn't picked up by a region this year. He is at Carmarthen Quins and captained the Premiership XV vs Georgia last season.

Ryan Prosser went to Cornish pirates.

Rhys Williams and Rory Pitman both went on to play for Wales at rugby League, both were in this squad.
Williams is playing for Warrington.

Rhys Lawrence went profesisonal with Bristol.

Nic Cudd and Jevron Grooves went on to become professional with the Dragons.

Gareth Williams signed for Harelquins, Dragons, then Pontypridd. Not sure where he is now though.

So many of them managed to make it as professionals.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:30 pm

That was the New Zealand team, can anyone tell me what happened to them? My knowledge off southern hemisphere rugby is non existent I'm afraid. Sad

1 Paea Fa'anunu
2 Quentin MacDonald
3 Ben Afeaki
4 Chris Smith (C)
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Matt Luamanu
7 Luke Braid
8 Nasi Manu
9 Aaron Smith
10 Daniel Kirkpatrick
11 Sean Maitland
12 Ryan Crotty
13 Kade Poki
14 Zac Guildford
15 Trent Renata
16 Ash Dixon (R)
17 Toby Smith (R)
18 Josh Townsend (R)
19 Peter Saili (R)
20 Grayson Hart (R)
21 Jackson Willison (R)
22 Andre Taylor (R)
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 19 Jun 2013, 11:00 pm

Number 7 Dan Franks had to retire through injury unfortunately.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9131778/Wales-Sam-Warburton-would-not-play-even-if-it-was-the-Six-Nations-decider-against-France-this-weekend.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 20 Jun 2013, 12:59 am

The NZ team is a fairly strong one. 4 have gone on to become AB's and a few more are close- Luke Braid should be there now instead of Todd in my opinion.

Can't agree with Tipuric not being selected. The only lions loosie with genuine pace. Looks like Gatlands going to employ 10 man stuff.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:53 am

Taylorman wrote:The NZ team is a fairly strong one. 4 have gone on to become AB's and a few more are close- Luke Braid should be there now instead of Todd in my opinion.

Can't agree with Tipuric not being selected. The only lions loosie with genuine pace. Looks like Gatlands going to employ 10 man stuff.

It'll be 9 man stuff as Croft is mostly on the wing fannying about.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:58 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
Taylorman wrote:The NZ team is a fairly strong one. 4 have gone on to become AB's and a few more are close- Luke Braid should be there now instead of Todd in my opinion.

It'll be 9 man stuff as Croft is mostly on the wing fannying about.

Laugh

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:18 am

Warburton was touted as being the No8 at the Blues few seasons back but nothing come of it really.

Sean Maitland at 11 for the Blacks, whatever happened to him I wonder Whistle
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:19 am

Shifty wrote:That was the New Zealand team, can anyone tell me what happened to them?  My knowledge off southern hemisphere rugby is non existent I'm afraid. Sad

1 Paea Fa'anunu
2 Quentin MacDonald
3 Ben Afeaki
4 Chris Smith (C)
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Matt Luamanu
7 Luke Braid
8 Nasi Manu
9 Aaron Smith
10 Daniel Kirkpatrick
11 Sean Maitland
12 Ryan Crotty
13 Kade Poki
14 Zac Guildford
15 Trent Renata
16 Ash Dixon (R)
17 Toby Smith (R)
18 Josh Townsend (R)
19 Peter Saili (R)
20 Grayson Hart (R)
21 Jackson Willison (R)
22 Andre Taylor (R)

All still playing Rugby: Fanunuc Smith and Townsend played IPC.  Townsend is current NZ Universities captain. All the rest have player super rugby. Kirkpatrick is currently in France (Castres). Greyson Hart is playing for the Waratahs and may qualify for Australia and Scotland. Maitland is in the current Liuons squad. Afeaki, Whitelock, Guilford, and A Smith are all AB's. I expect a few more to come through in the next few years.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 22 Jun 2013, 12:14 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Number 7 Dan Franks had to retire through injury unfortunately.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/wales/9131778/Wales-Sam-Warburton-would-not-play-even-if-it-was-the-Six-Nations-decider-against-France-this-weekend.html

Thanks Maesteg, I had no idea about this article. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Jun 2013, 1:59 pm

No worries. Would have liked to have seen Warburton and atipuric out there today too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

The way Pollock was reffing, Tipuric would have been whistled off the park.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm

maestegmafia wrote:No worries. Would have liked to have seen Warburton and atipuric out there today too.

I thought it was physicality round the fringes that we were missing?

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

thomh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:No worries. Would have liked to have seen Warburton and atipuric out there today too.

I thought it was physicality round the fringes that we were missing?

Yes, I agree we needed tacklers.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:14 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear - I was making a reference to your post on another thread about needing more physicality around the fringes. Tipuric is probably the least physical back row player we have, so if that's what you think we're missing then it would have to be Lydiate or O'Brien who would come in, and definitely not Tipuric.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

thomh wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear - I was making a reference to your post on another thread about needing more physicality around the fringes. Tipuric is probably the least physical back row player we have, so if that's what you think we're missing then it would have to be Lydiate or O'Brien who would come in, and definitely not Tipuric.

There are a few options. Lydiate or SOB would give us a much tighter defence around the fringe. Or move a warburton across and Tipuric at seven.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:24 pm

Hey, hey this is about the Wales U20 of 2008!
There are plenty of topics to discuss the merits of the Lions back row options! Doh
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:38 pm

Shifty wrote:Hey, hey this is about the Wales U20 of 2008!
There are plenty of topics to discuss the merits of the Lions back row options! Doh

The merits of that 08 backrow in a modern context is certainly on topic.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 22 Jun 2013, 2:45 pm

Yeh a thread about Tipuric and Warburton being in the same team seems a perfectly reasonable place to discuss the current selection issues.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 22 Jun 2013, 3:26 pm

Ok, fair point, I'm more interested in the squad though!

Here's what I can find out about them now:

Internationals:
Sam Warburton - Blues / Wales Capped
Leigh Halfpenny - Blues / Wales Capped
Scott Andrews - Blues / Wales Capped
Lloyd Williams - Blues / Wales capped
Dan Biggar - Ospreys / Wales Capped
Rhys Webb - Ospreys / Wales Capped
Justin Tipuric - Ospreys / Wales Capped
Ryan Bevington - Ospreys / Wales Capped
Josh Turnbull - Scarlets / Wales Capped
Daniel Evans - Scarlets / Wales Capped

League International:
Rhys Williams - Warrington Rugby League, Wales rugby League Capped

Wales Squad:
Sam Hobbs - Cardiff Blues  / Wales Squad (uncapped)
Gareth Owen - Scarlets / Wales Squad (uncapped)

Professionals:
Rory Pitman - Ospreys, Bridgend RFC, Swansea RFC, Taranaki, Glasgow Warriors, South Wales Scorpions (Rugby League), Rotherham Titans, Wasps RFC
Nic Cudd - Newport Gwent Dragons
Jevon Groves - Newport Gwent Dragons
Jasn Tovey - Blues
Rhys Lawrence - Bristol RFC

Semi-Pro:
Pat Palmer - Pontypridd RFC
Huw Diwden - Pontypridd RFC
Haydn Pugh - Carmarthen Quins RFC
Nathan White - Llanelli RFC
Lloyd Phillips - Llandovery RFC
Luke Ford - Cross Keys RFC
Luke Hathaway - Swansea RFC
David Langdon - Neath RFC
Ashley Sweet - Cross Keys RFC (2007, 2008), Ebbw Vale rfc

Unknown:
Ryan Prosser  - Bristol (2008-2009), Cornish Pirates (2010). now off the radar?
Luke Evans - Off Radar, former Queensland Red academy player (born in Wales), maybe he went back home.
Gareth Williams - Harelquins, Dragons, Pontypridd - now off radar
Jimmy Norris - Bedwas RFC, Newport Gwent Dragons, Cardiff RFC, Calgary Hornets (Canada), Luctonians RFC
Ben Roberts - Sale Sharks, off radar
James Egan - Off radar now
Tom Williams - Off radar now
Nathan Rees - Off Radar

Dan Franks - retired due to injury
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down