The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Great Gats CV

+27
flyhalffactory
Notch
ScarletSpiderman
LondonTiger
funnyExiledScot
Scrumpy
Effervescing Elephant
Brendan
SecretFly
Rugby Fan
Taylorman
blackcanelion
fa0019
doctor_grey
profitius
RubyGuby
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Hound of Harrow
ChequeredJersey
doddieman
Biltong
Rory_Gallagher
Scarpia
majesticimperialman
Sin é
asoreleftshoulder
The Saint
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Great Gats CV Empty The Great Gats CV

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:02 pm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CURRICULUM VITAE

Personal Details
Sir Warren David Gatland
DOB - 17/09/63
Married

Education
Waikato University
Hamilton Boys' High School

Playing Career
Waikato 1986-1994

Coaching Career with Honours
2007–present Wales (2 x 6 Nations Championship titles)
2013– British and Irish Lions (2-1 series win in Australia)
2005–2007 Waikato (1 x NPC title)
2002–2005 London Wasps (1 x Heineken Cup, 1 x ECC, 3 x Premiership titles)
1998–2001 Ireland
1996–1998 Connacht
1994–1996 Thames Valley
1989–1994 Galwegians RFC

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I bet there aren't any Scottish or Irish posters who have a CV half as good as this? Whistle Keep that in mind the next time you aim vitriolic comments at him.

Last edited by The Saint on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Poor choice of word and typo's)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

The Great Gats CV Empty Re: The Great Gats CV

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:07 pm

The Saint wrote:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CURRICULUM VITAE

Personal Details
Sir Warren David Gatland
DOB - 17/09/63
Married

Education
Waikato Unversity

Playing Career
Waikato 1986-1994

2013– British and Irish Lions (2-1 series win in Australia, dropped Brian O'Driscoll)
2002–2005 London Wasps (1 x Heineken Cup, 1 x ECC, 3 x Premiership titles, 1 x Anglo-Welsh Cup)
1998–2001 Ireland
1996–1998 Connacht
1994–1996 Thames Valley
1989–1994 Galwegians RFC

I bet there aren't any Scottish or Irish posters who have a CV half as good as this? WhistleKeep that in mind the next time you vindicate him.

I assume you'll be taking your own advice and won't ever criticise a player or coach if you're own C.V. doesn't measure up?

Also vindicate doesn't man what you think it does.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:17 pm

Constructive criticism and discussing the decisions coaches make is always interesting. Vindicating someone, giving them vitriolic criticism and putting up pictures of them hanging on social networking sites all because you don't agree with a decision is probably a few steps too far and something I don't do.
Perhaps the word I was looking for was vilify.
Arise Sir Warren G!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:31 pm

So Gats, tell us why you were sacked by Ireland?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 14 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm

The Saint wrote:Constructive criticism and discussing the decisions coaches make is always interesting. Vindicating someone, giving them vitriolic criticism and putting up pictures of them hanging on social networking sites all because you don't agree with a decision is probably a few steps too far and something I don't do.
Perhaps the word I was looking for was vilify
Arise Sir Warren G!

Well it definitely wasn't vindicate.

Yeah all that you have mentioned is way ott stuff but this thread is just dumb as the majority of posters on this board didn't indulge in that.

Any Welsh fan who has a problem with the criticism Gatland is receiving should think about how the Welsh public reacted to Alain Rolland after the W.C.

Rolland has a C.V. that few on here would come close to matching and he recieved plenty of abuse including death threats so if you can give it out you should be able to take it when it comes back on one of your own.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 14 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm

The Saint wrote:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CURRICULUM VITAE

Personal Details
Sir Warren David Gatland
DOB - 17/09/63
Married

Education
Waikato Unversity

Playing Career
Waikato 1986-1994

2013– British and Irish Lions (2-1 series win in Australia, dropped Brian O'Driscoll)
2002–2005 London Wasps (1 x Heineken Cup, 1 x ECC, 3 x Premiership titles, 1 x Anglo-Welsh Cup)
1998–2001 Ireland
1996–1998 Connacht
1994–1996 Thames Valley
1989–1994 Galwegians RFC

I bet there aren't any Scottish or Irish posters who have a CV half as good as this? :whistle:Keep that in mind the next time you aim vitriolic comments at him.

Sir Warren David Gatland

I was not aware that he had been knited....I did post a thread the other day saying that will winning the Lions make Gatland a "SIR". But was not aware that he is all ready a knight of the realm. Sir Warren Gatland.

I thought he was just plain Warren Gatland. Shocked 

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 4:40 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
The Saint wrote:Constructive criticism and discussing the decisions coaches make is always interesting. Vindicating someone, giving them vitriolic criticism and putting up pictures of them hanging on social networking sites all because you don't agree with a decision is probably a few steps too far and something I don't do.
Arise Sir Warren G!

Yeah all that you have mentioned is way ott stuff but this thread is just dumb as the majority of posters on this board didn't indulge in that.

Any Welsh fan who has a problem with the criticism Gatland is receiving should think about how the Welsh public reacted to Alain Rolland after the W.C.

Rolland has a C.V. that few on here would come close to matching and he recieved plenty of abuse including death threats so if you can give it out you should be able to take it when it comes back on one of your own.

Yea, being vindicated (with Warburton being suspended for 3 weeks) didn't stop Alain Rolland getting death threats from the Welsh. He still gets abuse from the Welsh even though Warburton has said he made the right decision.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:05 pm

Sin é wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Arise Sir Warren G!

Yea, being vindicated (with Warburton being suspended for 3 weeks) didn't stop Alain Rolland getting death threats from the Welsh. He still gets abuse from the Welsh even though Warburton has said he made the right decision.

I think you'll find that, after the initial shock and the belief, right or wrong, that it stopped Wales reaching the final, most people were upset that Rolland said that the directive given to referees on spear tackling meant that he "had no choice". There had been other spear tackles in the tournament. None of the perpetrators had been red carded. Why was Rolland the only one who apparently "had no choice"? But you're right. Rolland's actions didn't excuse Welsh hotheads' behaviour any more than Gatland's actions deserved the vitriol. However, sports fans are very parochial and rarely see the obvious similarity between their personal feelings and actions and the feelings and actions of others.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

Ah so here come the precious Irish with their bullsh1t posts. First Gats was getting one back at the IRFU by dropping BOD, then Murray and SOB single-handedly beat the Lions in the third test. Not sure what Rolland has to do with Sir Warren G's outstanding CV to be honest. But since you brought it up the reaction to Warburton's red card was wrong, because Rolland was in the right. I was one of the ones to see this, but there are so many inconsistencies with that particular law the supporters are going to complain and they are right to do so. Also I don't recall Rolland getting death threats so you either made that up or was thinking of Grey Ghost sending letters to Wayne Barnes after the 2007 RWC.

Last edited by The Saint on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:47 pm

The Saint wrote:Ah so here come the precious Irish with their bullsh1t posts. First Gats was getting one back at the IRFU by dropping BOD, then Murray and SOB single-handedly beat the Lions in the third test. Not sure what Rolland has to do with Sir Warren G's outstanding CV to be honest. But since you brought it up the reaction to Warburton's red card was wrong, because Rolland was in the right. I was one of the ones to see this, but there are so many inconsistencies with that particular law the supporters are going to complain and they are right to do so. Also I don't recall Rolland getting death threats so you either made that up or was thinking of Grey Ghost sending letters to Wayne Barnes after the 2007 RWC.

Gats said the reason why he stuck to that decision to drop Brian O'Driscoll was down to his past experience with Ireland.

Rugby World Cup semi-final referee Alain Rolland receives death threats

Veiled death threats have been made to Alain Rolland, the referee who controversially sent off Wales captain Sam Warburton in the Rugby World Cup semi-final.

Several Facebook groups have been set up for fans to vent their fury at Irishman Rolland for his handling of the loss to France, with one gaining more than 8,000 followers.

Messages were left warning ‘Public enemy No 1’ Rolland never to referee a game in Wales again, while some Welsh fans were warning they would be looking out for him at the ports of Holyhead and Fishguard on his journeys to Ireland.

One fan said: ‘We keep a welcome in the hillside for everyone – but not for Alain Rolland. He cost us the game. Feelings are running very high here in Wales right now – I wouldn’t want to be in Rolland’s shoes.’

Even first minister of Wales Carwyn Jones joined the protest by saying Warburton should never have been sent off but the International Rugby Board backed Rolland by banning the 23-year-old flanker for three weeks for a ‘dangerous dip tackle’ on Vincent Clerc.

World Cup bosses were under fire for appointing Rolland to referee the game because of his strong French links.

His father is French, he has family in France, he speaks the language fluently and is a regular visitor to the country.

The father is french is no worse than Gats holding a grudge against Ireland.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:49 pm

Sin é wrote:
The Saint wrote:Ah so here come the precious Irish with their bullsh1t posts. First Gats was getting one back at the IRFU by dropping BOD, then Murray and SOB single-handedly beat the Lions in the third test. Not sure what Rolland has to do with Sir Warren G's outstanding CV to be honest. But since you brought it up the reaction to Warburton's red card was wrong, because Rolland was in the right. I was one of the ones to see this, but there are so many inconsistencies with that particular law the supporters are going to complain and they are right to do so. Also I don't recall Rolland getting death threats so you either made that up or was thinking of Grey Ghost sending letters to Wayne Barnes after the 2007 RWC.

Gats said the reason why he stuck to that decision to drop Brian O'Driscoll was down to his past experience with Ireland.

Rugby World Cup semi-final referee Alain Rolland receives death threats

Veiled death threats have been made to Alain Rolland, the referee who controversially sent off Wales captain Sam Warburton in the Rugby World Cup semi-final.

Several Facebook groups have been set up for fans to vent their fury at Irishman Rolland for his handling of the loss to France, with one gaining more than 8,000 followers.

Messages were left warning ‘Public enemy No 1’ Rolland never to referee a game in Wales again, while some Welsh fans were warning they would be looking out for him at the ports of Holyhead and Fishguard on his journeys to Ireland.

One fan said: ‘We keep a welcome in the hillside for everyone – but not for Alain Rolland. He cost us the game. Feelings are running very high here in Wales right now – I wouldn’t want to be in Rolland’s shoes.’

Even first minister of Wales Carwyn Jones joined the protest by saying Warburton should never have been sent off but the International Rugby Board backed Rolland by banning the 23-year-old flanker for three weeks for a ‘dangerous dip tackle’ on Vincent Clerc.

World Cup bosses were under fire for appointing Rolland to referee the game because of his strong French links.

His father is French, he has family in France, he speaks the language fluently and is a regular visitor to the country.

The father is french is no worse than Gats holding a grudge against Ireland.

Link to the bolded part, Sin?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:51 pm

music A great lord came walking, through Millenium Stadium one morning
With his CV in his hand
He lacked for nothing, rich was his CV
Coaching was his plan.

Then George North came by
He ran like the wind
Nothing was found
Only footprints on the ground
North was gone music

Last edited by Biltong on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 5:52 pm

I didn't see the article, the death threats were out of order. We aren't going to have many good referee's with activities like that taking place. I think he's officiated in Wales since(?) and didn't seem to be in any sort of danger.
Gats doesn't hold a grudge against Ireland. I'm almost certain he has better things to do, like concentrate on coaching teams in to winning championships. Shame Ireland couldn't see the light and keep him on, you might have more Grand Slams and less fifth place finishes in the 6 Nations by now!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

You're the one who started this crap,if you can't understand how the comparison works then I won't bother talking down to you.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:06 pm

Surely wales 3x 6N titles 2 grandslams?
And didn't he play for the all blacks? Big thing to miss off a plating career.
And why put 'dropped brian odriscoll' on a cv?

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:07 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/top-rugby-stories/british-irish-lions-gatland-sees-bright-future-1-2992762

Gatland came in for fierce criticism from all quarters for his final Test selection, one that contained ten Welshmen, but no Brian O’Driscoll, who was left out of the 23.

But he revealed an experience he gained while coaching Ireland several years ago gave him an unshakeable belief in how he should approach selection. “If we had won the series, fantastic. If we had lost, there would only be fingers pointed at myself,” he added.

“We lost an away game to Scotland which cost Ireland a Grand Slam. Tactically, I changed the way we played, influenced by some selections.

“I promised myself I would never do that again, that I would never back down from what I felt would be the right decision
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:18 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:

You're the one who started this crap,if you can't understand how the comparison works then I won't bother talking down to you.

Don't talk down to the Saint, learn some respect. It's an ill comparison and has no place in the Gatland CV thread.
angel 

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:18 pm

Don't want to get caught up in this thread but Gatland never represented the All Blacks in internationals, he played in some non Int matches (17 says wiki)
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:18 pm

Why post 'dropped Brian O'Driscoll' in your(★ factually incorrect) CV when you know it's going to be inflammatory. Very poor form.

★ Gatland did not win the Anglo-Welsh cup with Wasps. McGecchan did - the competition came into being the season after Gatland left Wasps.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:19 pm

Perhaps the word I was looking for was vilify.
Arise Sir Warren G!

Gatland believes the 3rd test result vindicated his decision to drop BOD, and I really don't think that those who disagree with his decision are attempting to vindicate Gatland for his selection in any way. Maybe you disagree Shocked 

Is this thread a wum whinge? Wink

Last edited by Munchkin on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:20 pm

doddieman wrote:Surely wales 3x 6N titles 2 grandslams?

He wasn't involved with the most recent title win. Howley was the coach overseeing Wales in the 2013 tournament.
He played something like 17 matches for the All Blacks and none of them were capped. So they must have been against touring club teams or something.
Because according to the Irish that's his greatest achievement.

"Really? Did he do the unthinkable? He did didn't he? He's done it!"

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:21 pm

The Saint wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

Don't talk down to the Saint, learn some respect. It's an ill comparison and has no place in the Gatland CV thread.
angel 

I already said I wasn't going to talk down to you,are your reading comprehension skills that poor?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm

doddieman wrote:Surely wales 3x 6N titles 2 grandslams?

umm, no wonder Wales won the 6ns this year as Gatty could roll up at all the other nations training sessions Shocked 

Poor old Gatty's ABs career suffered a bit because it coincided with one of the greatest ABs of all time. Might explain why he wanted to put BOD in his place. Wink 
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:22 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:
★ Gatland did not win the Anglo-Welsh cup with Wasps. McGecchan did - the competition came into being the season after Gatland left Wasps.

Guess you're a Wasps fan? Thanks, I'll edit it out (though it's still an impressive CV) Wink. Are the 3 Premiership title wins correct? I got that info from wiki Erm.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:26 pm

Sin é wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/top-rugby-stories/british-irish-lions-gatland-sees-bright-future-1-2992762

Gatland came in for fierce criticism from all quarters for his final Test selection, one that contained ten Welshmen, but no Brian O’Driscoll, who was left out of the 23.

But he revealed an experience he gained while coaching Ireland several years ago gave him an unshakeable belief in how he should approach selection. “If we had won the series, fantastic. If we had lost, there would only be fingers pointed at myself,” he added.

“We lost an away game to Scotland which cost Ireland a Grand Slam. Tactically, I changed the way we played, influenced by some selections.

“I promised myself I would never do that again, that I would never back down from what I felt would be the right decision

Right so it wasn't Gats getting one over on the IRFU. It was to suit the style of play (something we've known all along), Gatlandball as you kids are calling it, a decision he stood by which paid off in case you didn't watch the final test? Well done Sir Warren.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:27 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
The Saint wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

angel 

I already said I wasn't going to talk down to you,are your reading comprehension skills that poor?

It was a joke but you'd need less of a transparent personality to notice.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:33 pm

The Saint wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:

Guess you're a Wasps fan? Thanks, I'll edit it out (though it's still an impressive CV) Wink. Are the 3 Premiership title wins correct? I got that info from wiki Erm.

I just checked wiki - it's wrong on the AW win. The 3 Prem wins, HC & ECC wins are correct. And, yup, I'm a Wasp.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:34 pm

The Saint wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:
The Saint wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

angel 

It was a joke but you'd need less of a transparent personality to notice.

Well I've no idea what you're on about I'm just going to use Occam's razor and assume that you're feeble minded.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 6:35 pm

A psychoanalyst would have a field day with Gats - a bloke called Séan Fitzpatrick is one of the all-time great ABs was in his way for the ABs, then another hooker (Woody) for Ireland who is also regarded as one of the all-time great hookers, gives him lip and gets him the sack for Ireland.Smile
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jul 2013, 8:11 pm

Sin é wrote:A psychoanalyst would have a field day with Gats - a bloke called Séan Fitzpatrick is one of the all-time great ABs was in his way for the ABs, then another hooker (Woody) for Ireland who is also regarded as one of the all-time great hookers, gives him lip and gets him the sack for Ireland.Smile

Wood was another one of the ones who was emphatically wrong about the Great Gats selection and tactics for the final test, and made to look stupid as a result Smile. Sir Warren G gets another one over on the IRFU! And you still haven't answered my question, don't you think Ireland would win Grand Slams more often than one every 60 odd years if they had a coach who has a CV like Great Gats?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun 14 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm

Sir Clive Woodward 2003 world cup winner,he also took us to the 2007 final but the ref robbed us that Cueto try WAS A MATCH WINNING TRY!
Sir Lancaster beat the NZ Kwis AllBlacks, Galand hasn't.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm

thumbsup I think it was Ashton in 2007 mate

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 14 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm

What role has Shaun Edwards played in Gats success?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:10 pm

The Saint wrote:Coaching Career with Honours
2002–2005 London Wasps (1 x Heineken Cup, )
Now we know why Gatland keeps Howley around, no?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Sir Clive Woodward 2003 world cup winner,he also took us to the 2007 final but the ref robbed us that Cueto try WAS A MATCH WINNING TRY!

Unless that try costed 10 points (deduct three points for the penalty you got instead) yeah, it was a match winning try. Wink 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:45 pm

Not bad CV.... But McGeechan has 2 series victories, Gatland has 1... And most importantly McGeechan has a series victory in South Africa... The toughest place to tour in world rugby.

Only 3 coaches in history have won away series in South Africa vs. South Africa. 2 by the lions, 1 by NZ. 
NZ have lost to SA, France, Lions and AUS (twice) in home series.

Until any coach Gatland included gets a series victory in SA or NZ, Mcgeechan's record remains 1 step above.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:48 pm

Biltong wrote:
DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Sir Clive Woodward 2003 world cup winner,he also took us to the 2007 final but the ref robbed us that Cueto try WAS A MATCH WINNING TRY!

Unless that try costed 10 points (deduct three points for the penalty you got instead) yeah, it was a match winning try. Wink 

Yo BB, technically given The boks were only 3-9 ahead at the time had England scored and converted then they would have been 10-9 ahead.... Would have changed the dynamic of the game but not to a point I admit where any result would have been able to be predicted. Wasn't a match winning try I agree though.

Although SCW quit in 2004...2 coaches back by the RWC07 final so not sure what other poster is saying???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:51 pm

I agree though the SCW record is better at this stage in gatlands career...not just a World Cup, 3 years unbeaten vs. the 3N sides, 12 matches inc. home and away fixtures to all 3 sides.... That will go down as one of the greatest records of all time.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:58 pm

The Saint wrote:
profitius wrote:What role has Shaun Edwards played in Gats success?

A big role. Does than answer your question?
Under Gats and Edwards Wales still hold the defensive record in the 6 Nations, 2 tries conceded. The second best record is 3 tries, which is how many Wales conceded in 2012 and 2013.

For someone who has such a good record, its rather surprising that Edwards wasn't the coach. Instead Gats takes the worst backs coach of any of the coaches in the 6Ns.

I hope Séan Ewards isn't too upset about being left out of the tour after the many years of great service. Its gas when you come to think about that Gat's sacking by Ireland was down to his unwillness to hire specialist coaching staff like a defence coach.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun 14 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm

Farrell isn't the England backs coach right... That's mike Catt. Farrell is the defence coach no? A role he continued with the lions.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 14 Jul 2013, 11:53 pm

fa0019 wrote:Farrell isn't the England backs coach right... That's mike Catt. Farrell is the defence coach no? A role he continued with the lions.

I was thinking of Howley and his string of losses with Wales. I think Gats left his best coach behind if he didn't want too many coaching staff from Wales (though I suppose he needed him to mind Leigh Halfpenny - if Halfpenny got injured Gats would have been in trouble with his game strategy).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 15 Jul 2013, 1:57 am

Good CV. At least 2 weaknesses. never coached in super rugby and hasn't coached NZ, SA or Aus. Wink 

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 15 Jul 2013, 5:39 am

He did win the ITM in 2006 though...so he has done something bc...oddly moving to Wales about the same time as Henry getting the top job...how odd...he tried coming back but I heard that someone threatened to break both his legs if he didnt go back to Wales...Shocked 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:20 am

fa0019 wrote:Not bad CV.... But McGeechan has 2 series victories, Gatland has 1...

But Gatland has only been in charge of one series so that's not a fair comparison is it? You could say that WG has a 100% win record as Lions' coach so he is obviously the best ever.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jul 2013, 7:27 am

Sin é wrote:
The Saint wrote:
profitius wrote:What role has Shaun Edwards played in Gats success?

A big role. Does than answer your question?
Under Gats and Edwards Wales still hold the defensive record in the 6 Nations, 2 tries conceded. The second best record is 3 tries, which is how many Wales conceded in 2012 and 2013.

For someone who has such a good record, its rather surprising that Edwards wasn't the coach. Instead Gats takes the worst backs coach of any of the coaches in the 6Ns.

I hope Séan Ewards isn't too upset about being left out of the tour after the many years of great service.  Its gas when you come to think about that Gat's sacking by Ireland was down to his unwillness to hire specialist coaching staff like a defence coach.

Worst back coach? I think Scotland/Italy have that... Though I was surprised he took Holwey and not Edwards. Edwards did consider resigning after he was overlooked actually.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:02 am

Gats has proven himself to be quite successful that's for sure, still don't like him, until he comes home. So is mcgeechen revered as the best British coach ever? I'm surprised at that and didn't realise. Fair enough, 2 lions series wins, but he ain't done bugger all else has he?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:21 am

Scarpia wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Not bad CV.... But McGeechan has 2 series victories, Gatland has 1...

But Gatland has only been in charge of one series so that's not a fair comparison is it? You could say that WG has a 100% win record as Lions' coach so he is obviously the best ever.

Compared to Syd Miller in 74 who went undefeated in SA??? If I recall, he's Irish (something the original poster should remember). Far a more difficult place to tour and win.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:28 am

ebop wrote:Gats has proven himself to be quite successful that's for sure, still don't like him, until he comes home. So is mcgeechen revered as the best British coach ever? I'm surprised at that and didn't realise. Fair enough, 2 lions series wins, but he ain't done bugger all else has he?

He won the grand slam in 1990. Took Scotland to 4th in the RWC91.

To win a tour in SA is something only 2 other men in the world have ever achieved. NZ have played a 2+ series in SA 8 times and only once come away victorious. That alone puts him at the top table of worlds greatest coaches.

McGeechan beat SA in SA in a series both as a player and a coach. Can anyone else say that???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:42 am

Fair dues fa, beating SA in a 2+ series is something to be proud of, shame we (ABs) wont get the chance to notch a few more as I'm sure we'd give it a good nudge. So how did geech fare against the ABs? Another potential yard stick with which to measure greatness?

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:46 am

2-1 in 93. Very good contest and a great series.

lost first test by a debatable last kick penalty, won the 2nd. Were ahead in the 3rd test but then the Lions ran out of steam and got blown away in the 2nd half. In terms of series in NZ that was as close as they come.

France beat NZ 2-0 the following summer mind... albeit fox had retired post lions tour and Merthens was yet to emerge.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next