The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

+44
Brendan
VinceWLB
George Carlin
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
A Simply Mesmeric Try
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
highland_scot
malky1963
Ozzy3213
Manky-Flanker
CraigS1874
Tramptastic
Captain_Sensible
justified sinner
LondonTiger
Argybargy
nickj
Couttsy87
alive555
EST
demosthenes
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
Majestic83
Nematode
RDW
tigertattie
HawkTheSlayersRubbish
GLove39
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
cakeordeath
MacKnocked-on
Dollar Bill
EWT Spoons
Cambo
Notch
21st Century Schizoid Man
Totalflanker
IanBru
48 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 5 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by George Carlin Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

A. Edinburgh

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 5 Bremne10

1. Pre-season

Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 15 - 5 Newcastle Falcons

Fri 23 Aug 2013, 19:30
Northampton Saints 24 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

2. 2013/2014 Season - Played

Sat 7 Sep, 19:15
Munster Rugby 34 - 23 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 13 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 21 Sep, 18:30
Ospreys 44 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 9 - 22 Scarlets

Sun 6 Oct, 14:05
Cardiff Blues 29 - 12 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 25 Oct, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 13 Benetton Treviso

Fri 1 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 23 Zebre

Fri 22 Nov 19:05
Ulster Rugby 41 - 17 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 29 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 43 - 10 Connacht

Fri 20 Dec 19:35
Edinburgh Rugby 11 - 6 Leinster

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 13:05
Newport Gwent Dragons  v  Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 17:00
Connacht Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 22 Feb 14:30
Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby

B. Glasgow

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 5 Capald10

1. Pre-season

Sat 31 Aug 2013, 15:00
Exeter Chiefs 26 - 29 Glasgow Warriors

2. 2013/2014 Season

Fri 6 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 15 Cardiff Blues

Fri 13 Sep, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 12 - 6 Leinster Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:30
Zebre 17 - 24 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 5 Oct, 18:30
Scarlets 12 - 17 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 Oct, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Sat 2 Nov, 17:00
Connacht Rugby 12 - 19 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 22 Nov, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 23 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 29 Nov, 19:05
Ospreys 16 - 28 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Dec, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors P - P Benetton Treviso

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 14:00
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 18:30
Cardiff Blues v Glasgow Warriors

Sun 23 Feb 14:30
Newport Gwent Dragons   v   Glasgow Warriors

Any and all patter about these teams is welcome.

Any jingoism, sledging or graceless kicking of anyone whilst they are up or down will see posts deleted.

Be gracious and be constructive.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by RDW Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:19 am

Wow, really didn't expect the Cusiter move, especially with the chat of Laidlaw moving there.

Wonder if this means Laidlaw is staying? Where else might he go?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by GLove39 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:45 am

BigGee wrote:Yes I think its fair to say that Sean won't be able to claim to be the fastest man in the Glasgow squad any more!

Maitland, Hoggy and Isles. Now that is a fairly pacy back three!

Add in Matawalu & Nakawara into the team and wow what an attacking force!  Run 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

Is Glasgow rugby being relocated to the South of France or something?

Doesn't seem overly wise to build a light-weight but quick team when 75% of your games over a season are going to be played in a mud bath...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:50 am

Maybe we can inherit the Old Murryfield pitch - worms and all

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:54 am

funnyExiledScot wrote: Laugh 

This is yet another example of bullying, bluster and bluff.

Bullying - I will not be dictated to from on high by some Jonny-come-lately tax dodging Moderator, and an ancient Devonian deserter. The days of such diktats are over. Neither of you speak for the ordinary people of Scotland, like me.

Bluster - because I know deep down you share my sceptism about these new kids who crop up every season and play the odd flash moment off the bench. If you were lucky enough to fill the hotseat soon to be vacated by the Australian buffoon, you'll realise pretty quickly the folly of sticking young Russell against Sexton et al, and you'll be applying fEs law before you know it. You know it makes sense, and having a contrary view is contrary to the spirit and the letter of common sense.

Bluff - because what you say now about Gilchrist and the metrosexual one, and what you'll say after the next Lions tour, are completely different.

FES - while I accept that you may feel the 3 B, I will point out that even though you have gone 'home' you still think of yourself as an exile - I think your anger and frustration at the 'Old One' and others is due to you really not knowing where you belong.

I really think it is time to accept it and support the only rugby playing team in Scotland - it will mean reducing your frapalapachinos though  kiss 

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Feb 2014, 10:57 am

Cooseater to leave Crying or Very sad  he's been a good player for us and will be missed.
However, from a Scotland perspective if it means that he and Pyrgos are getting more game time and Glasgow bring on another Scottish 9 then that can't be a bad thing. Fingers Crossed 

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:02 am

Riskysports wrote:

Bullying - I will not be dictated to from on high by some Jonny-come-lately tax dodging Moderator, and an ancient Devonian deserter. The days of such diktats are over. Neither of you speak for the ordinary people of Scotland, like me.

Bluster - because I know deep down you share my sceptism about these new kids who crop up every season and play the odd flash moment off the bench. If you were lucky enough to fill the hotseat soon to be vacated by the Australian buffoon, you'll realise pretty quickly the folly of sticking young Russell against Sexton et al, and you'll be applying fEs law before you know it. You know it makes sense, and having a contrary view is contrary to the spirit and the letter of common sense.

Bluff - because what you say now about Gilchrist and the metrosexual one, and what you'll say after the next Lions tour, are completely different.

FES - while I accept that you may feel the 3 B, I will point out that even though you have gone 'home' you still think of yourself as an exile - I think your anger and frustration at the 'Old One' and others is due to you really not knowing where you belong.

I really think it is time to accept it and support the only rugby playing team in Scotland  - it will mean reducing your frapalapachinos though  kiss 
Apparently FES and Maj only drink 'Stockbridgechinos'. They are decaff, made with unicorn milk, are served in a Ming vase and are brought to you by a domestic servant of your choice.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:08 am

Riskysports wrote:

I really think it is time to accept it and support the only rugby playing team in Scotland  - it will mean reducing your frapalapachinos though  kiss 
Laugh Superb, Risky clap Poor old mustard cords

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:24 am

BigGee wrote:Yes I think its fair to say that Sean won't be able to claim to be the fastest man in the Glasgow squad any more!

Is Isles really faster than Vernon? I have my doubts.

Seriously though, I've seen the clips of Isles on YouTube and he's electric. Amazed if Glasgow can snag him.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:28 am

George Carlin wrote:Apparently FES and Maj only drink 'Stockbridgechinos'. They are decaff, made with unicorn milk, are served in a Ming vase and are brought to you by a domestic servant of your choice.

You forget to mention than the coffee must not under any circumstances be fair trade.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:38 am

FES = Frapvirginthighsunicornionios' Express to Scotstoun

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

Riskysports wrote:FES - while I accept that you may feel the 3 B, I will point out that even though you have gone 'home' you still think of yourself as an exile - I think your anger and frustration at the 'Old One' and others is due to you really not knowing where you belong.

More bullying. It just means that you're losing the debate. It's because of people like you south dwellers, all de facto Tories, that us ordinary Scottish people had to exclusively carry the brunt of the poll tax, and every other unpopular policy since time began.

Ordinary Scottish people like me know exactly where we belong. On the side of equality, world peace, a more moral and just world and every other sentiment that's difficult to dispute, but that is in no way relevant to the argument.

Oh, and Risky, enough with the illegal wars already.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Wow, really didn't expect the Cusiter move, especially with the chat of Laidlaw moving there.

Wonder if this means Laidlaw is staying? Where else might he go?

There has been some chat about bath for him as well as Sale. You would imagine with his goal kicking stats a French club would love to have hime as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:FES - while I accept that you may feel the 3 B, I will point out that even though you have gone 'home' you still think of yourself as an exile - I think your anger and frustration at the 'Old One' and others is due to you really not knowing where you belong.

More bullying. It just means that you're losing the debate. It's because of people like you south dwellers, all de facto Tories, that us ordinary Scottish people had to exclusively carry the brunt of the poll tax, and every other unpopular policy since time began.

Ordinary Scottish people like me know exactly where we belong. On the side of equality, world peace, a more moral and just world and every other sentiment that's difficult to dispute, but that is in no way relevant to the argument.

Oh, and Risky, enough with the illegal wars already.

At least you have a tram....oh wait..  Very Happy 

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Apparently FES and Maj only drink 'Stockbridgechinos'. They are decaff, made with unicorn milk, are served in a Ming vase and are brought to you by a domestic servant of your choice.

You forget to mention than the coffee must not under any circumstances be fair trade.
 Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:27 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh

I'll be having none of that Stockbridge malark, I'm a good old East Lothian boy!
Having it served by a domestic servant is still a must though! Wink 

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:36 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Seriously though, I've seen the clips of Isles on YouTube and he's electric. Amazed if Glasgow can snag him.

I thought it was announced not too long ago he was off back to NFL?

Edit: turns out he signed a 'practice' contract with an NFL team in January but decided to commit to rugby a month later. Sign of a decisive, committed personality right there

Last edited by TheMildlyFranticLlama on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:37 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Only to train with the Detroit Lions, wasn't a playing contract.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:42 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Only to train with the Detroit Lions, wasn't a playing contract.

It's a shame he had to be selfish and play for the Eagles.   Wink Would have made a decent project player.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:14 pm

Soooo ... Carlin "Western" Isles is coming to Glasgow? Well, well, well... [maniacal laugh]

After I saw that Glasgow had been invited to take part in the Melrose Sevens this year (http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/14/02/11/warriors-invited-play-melrose-7s), I started thinking about the insane sevens team that the Warriors could put out.

Seriously, think of this:
Niko, Big Naka, Isles, Falou "Fat Tony" Niua, Jedi, Fozzy, Vernon, Horny furra linee, Messiah, Jones, McGuigan, and Wight

That would be an insane level of talent to be able to put out, and that's before we start converting the 15s players like Weir, Hoggy and Bluto to the short game.

Seriously folks. [maniacal laugh]
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:25 pm

Yes but, Naka and MadmanMatawaloo are they not a bit too predictable and over-coached to prosper in Sevens?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

Cusiter off to Sale next season I see, thought Laidlaw had been in the frame for that particular move. Room for another 9 at Glasgow or will they make do with who they've got?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

if I was in the market for a 9 and had to choose between Cusiter and Laidlaw then there really is only 1 pick there and its the one Sale made. Laidlaw can kick but other than that is ponderous and slow with no break and those box kicks are utter crap. Cus should be playing SH for Scotland on Saturday

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:38 pm

Sorry to dampen everyone's spirits but I've really got to question what the point in signing these players is if most games in the season are arm wrestles in a mud bath!

We've seen how much less effective niko has been this year in the Scotstoun mudbath

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:44 pm

Jimbo, I think you're right - if one thing annoys me about Matawalu's play is his tendency to hold a conclave with his his backline before, during and after every ruck to explain exactly what he plans to do for the next ten minutes.

As for Naka, well he's just SO pedestrian it's unbelievable.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 4:44 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:if I was in the market for a 9 and had to choose between Cusiter and Laidlaw then there really is only 1 pick there and its the one Sale made.    Laidlaw can kick but other than that is ponderous and slow with no break and those box kicks are utter crap.   Cus should be playing SH for Scotland on Saturday

I particularly hate box kicks, totally useless tactic when executed as badly as we always seen to do.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Feb 2014, 5:08 pm

Thank god for some common sense comments. I was beginning to think that my dissatisfaction with Laidlaw's performances were just another sign of pre-senile curmedgeonliness.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 18 Feb 2014, 5:24 pm

jimbopip wrote:Thank god for some common sense comments. I was beginning to think that my dissatisfaction with Laidlaw's performances were just another sign of pre-senile curmedgeonliness.
No - Laidlaw's excellent kicking from the tee should not hide the fact that his box kicking has neither variety nor distance and he is half the athlete Cusiter is. No defence ever expects him to make a break and so his opposite number is already drifting out to nail Weir by the time he gets the thing away. Must try harder.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 18 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

To be honest i've never been a fan of Laidlaws, when he was signed for Edinburgh there were 2 or 3 9's who were far better.
The box kicks are horrendous, I've see 9s at 2nd team level with a more accurate box kick. Half the time when he puts a kick up no one chaces it so there is no point at all.
Everytime Cusiter has come on he has raised the tempo and the fringe defence looks slightly more worried as he has a good snipe on him.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 18 Feb 2014, 8:05 pm

Cusiter plays the position 9 as it should be played, no messing around and a good pass (unlike Laidlaw).

When i'm asked to name scrumhalfs who does their job without being flashy but very effectively i name Cusiter and Stringer. A big loss for Glasgow.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by HawkTheSlayersRubbish Tue 18 Feb 2014, 9:04 pm

even with cusiter going, we still have 3 SH's on the books with prygos, niko and ali price. still reckon he's our best all rounder 9 and will be a big loss for glasgow but better for scotland

HawkTheSlayersRubbish

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:47 am

The Isles thing must be a publicity stunt.  I honestly cant think why the SRU are going in for this guy.

Imagine him performing on a cold, windy, miserable day at Scotstoun or the Sports Ground?  No, me neither.  Ok, he can run fast, but he doesn't even start for USA 7's - how quickly is he going to pick up things like positioning in defence, rucking and aerial skills on a congested 15's pitch?  Not before the end of the season thats for sure.

I read in the Scotsman that Mossy is going to be devoting a lot of time helping him pick up the intricacies of wing play.  Here's an idea, SRU, how about you invest the same time and effort on any one or more of the following players:  James Fleming, Damian Hoyland, Jaime Farndale(I am aware they are contracted to Edinburgh), Rory Hughes & Gavin Lowe. There you go, five young players all of whom are presently contracted to our own Union.  Players who have the potential to be good pro's, but who will find themselves in competition with an American who has played Rugby for three years.

Sorry for the rant, but following on from the last couple of weeks, this was a bridge too far.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Feb 2014, 6:56 am

EST wrote:The Isles thing must be a publicity stunt.  I honestly cant think why the SRU are going in for this guy.

Imagine him performing on a cold, windy, miserable day at Scotstoun or the Sports Ground?  No, me neither.  Ok, he can run fast, but he doesn't even start for USA 7's - how quickly is he going to pick up things like positioning in defence, rucking and aerial skills on a congested 15's pitch?  Not before the end of the season thats for sure.

I read in the Scotsman that Mossy is going to be devoting a lot of time helping him pick up the intricacies of wing play.  Here's an idea, SRU, how about you invest the same time and effort on any one or more of the following players:  James Fleming, Damian Hoyland, Jaime Farndale(I am aware they are contracted to Edinburgh), Rory Hughes & Gavin Lowe. There you go, five young players all of whom are presently contracted to our own Union.  Players who have the potential to be good pro's, but who will find themselves in competition with an American who has played Rugby for three years.
What? Develop young Scottish players? As a priority? That's crazy talk, man.

Seriously, I understand both points of view. Toonie and Pappy are not under any obligation to develop players for Scotland - their job is to put together squads that will win games in a domestic league. Solomons in particular has been smart in bringing in numbers of men which would not have disgraced the Battle of Thermopylae, simply in order to have a year to work out whom will make the cut and who won't.

Take that shotgun wedding to its natural conclusion, remove all inter-faction liaison and add some disdain and where are you? As the Pub Landlord would say, "France, that's where".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:02 am

Time to bring in a quota system for each squad!!

Scots players - 35
Scots project dev players - 9
Scots qualified players - 5
Imports non sq - 1

squad of 50

obviously the sq qualified players have to be well picked and damn good not stocking fillers.

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:18 am

oh and also can the sevens team and save up for another pro team . someone needs to study where it should be and could it be privately funded ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:33 am

alive555 wrote:Time to bring in a quota system for each squad!!

Scots players - 35
Imports non sq - 1

squad of 50

obviously the sq qualified players have to be well picked and damn good not stocking fillers.  

Certainly agree that the number of NQ players is starting to get a little out of hand at Edinburgh, hopefully a situation that will settle down. Don't really get the point on quotas which makes a differance between Scots Players and Scots Qualified players!

On other news Grant and Reid have both signed long term deals with Glasgow.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 19 Feb 2014, 8:38 am

Isles could be a decent signing for Glasgow.  He’s only joined for the rest of the season (apparently) so it’s not a long term deal just now, so if it doesn’t pan out he can move on.

Also if he can help others work on their pace (share his knowledge, work on technique etc) then that can only be a good thing.  It’s a bit like hiring a sprinting coach, but one who can play for you as well.

Now I might be wrong and that might not be the plan for Carlin, but it would be a missed opportunity if they didn’t tap into his athletics knowledge.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 19 Feb 2014, 9:53 am

It's business. And potentially highly lucrative.

Suppose Carlin Isles comes to Glasgow for this season, plays a few games and stays on over the Summer to develop his skills. If he looks promising, then if Glasgow sign him for 2-3 years and if a French team or possibly SH team wanted to sign him for big money, Glasgow could make a hefty profit.

Just imagine the Glasgow 7s team at Melrose  Drool 

Isles, Matawalu, Nakawara, Bennett, Jones, Hogg, Maitland

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:14 am

George Carlin Isles. I like it.  Very Happy 

I noticed that Ryan "I miss the Hit" Grant and Gordy "Shrek" Reid signed new three year deals today, which is a good piece of business.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:29 am

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
alive555 wrote:Time to bring in a quota system for each squad!!

Scots players - 35
Imports non sq - 1

squad of 50

Certainly agree that the number of NQ players is starting to get a little out of hand at Edinburgh, hopefully a situation that will settle down.  Don't really get the point on quotas which makes a differance between Scots Players and Scots Qualified players!

On other news Grant and Reid have both signed long term deals with Glasgow.

yes what i mean by sq players means any player who is signed with a view to that player becoming sq after passing the 3 year residency rule.

which means the player cannot have been capped by any other nation at full or A team level.

that player should be offered say a max 2 year deal and if he fails to meet expectation move him on and sign another player.

with this in place all the financial resources are going to players who can add to the playing pool and not just to the wage bill.  warning

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:42 am

As exciting as Isle's signing sounds on paper this doesn't make for confortable reading when you look at the state of the Scotstoun pitch  Erm

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:44 am

looking at the current relative imports id say edinburgh have way too many and way too low quality. (glasgow next post tommorrow as this one went way over time limit !)

pls feel free to comment / add ratings !

EDINBURGH

Scots qualified by ancestry

1. Sam Beard (age 23, center, Kiwi)  ?
2. Allan Dell  (age 21, prop, South African. 6ft 112 kg. Played for SA U16/18/20.  JRWC winner 2012)  ?
3. Simon Berghan (age 23, prop, Kiwi. 6ft 3" 126 kg)  ?
4. Neil Mclennan  (age 25, center, Kiwi. 5ft 9" 89kg)  ?
5. Ollie Atkins (age 24, lock, Aussie. 5ft 9" 89kg)  ?
6. Grayson Hart (age 25, SH, Kiwi)  7/10
7. Andries Struass (age 29, Saffer, Center) ?
8. Alex Toolis - (age 21, lock, Aussie, Scotland EDP player)  ?
9. Ben Toolis - (age 21, lock, 6ft 7" Aussie, Scotland EDP player)  ?
10. James Hilterbrand - (age 25, prop, Aussie, 6ft 0", 114kg)  ?

Scots qualified after residency

1 Wiccus Blaaw - (age 27, Saffer, Prop) not featured much ? 5/10
2. Carl Bezuidenhout - (age 28, Saffer, Fly Half) 6/10
3. Mike Coman - (age 26, back rower,Kiwi , former NZ under 19)  ?
4. Alex Lutui - (age 35, hooker, 6ft 0", Tongan)   ?
5 Piers Francis - (age 24, Fly half, 90kg,  6ft 0" Aussie)  4/10
6. Cornell Du Preez (age 24, Back Row, 107kg,  6ft 2" Saffer)  10/10
7. Isak van der Westhuizen - (age 28, Lock, 115kg,  6ft 5" Saffer)  6/10
8. Perry Parker - (age 26, Lock, 115kg,  6ft 8", English)  5/10 been loaned ?
9. Willem Nel - (age 28, Prop, 120kg,  5ft 10" Saffer) 7/10

Not scots qualified (waste of sru cash)

1. Ben Atiga (age 31, center, Kiwi 1 cap, 5ft 11", 100kg) 4/10
2. Joaquin Dominguez (age 27, center, Puma International, 6ft 3", 103kg)  ?
3. Dimitri Basailia - (age 28, no. 8, Georgian, 6ft 3", 110kg) 6/10
4. Tomas Leonardi - (age 26, back row, Puma International, 6ft 1", 106kg)  ?

looks like this has been a bit of a numbers game with v few successes.   picard

way way too many imports  boxing

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

EST wrote:I read in the Scotsman that Mossy is going to be devoting a lot of time helping him pick up the intricacies of wing play.

Odd choice. I never really rated Mossy as a winger. Not a particularly good finisher and never quite got his positioning right, and missed a fair few one on ones in his day.

He was much better at 15, and should have been much better at 10.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:20 pm

alive555 wrote:looking at the current relative imports id say edinburgh have way too many and way too low quality. (glasgow next post tommorrow as this one went way over time limit !)

pls feel free to comment / add ratings !

EDINBURGH

Scots qualified by ancestry

1. Sam Beard (age 23, center, Kiwi)  ? 5/10 decent player but no better than some of the talent in scotland like Robbie Fergusson.
2. Allan Dell  (age 21, prop, South African. 6ft 112 kg. Played for SA U16/18/20.  JRWC winner 2012)  ? Think this is one signing that could be very good.
3. Simon Berghan (age 23, prop, Kiwi. 6ft 3" 126 kg)  ?
4. Neil Mclennan  (age 25, center, Kiwi. 5ft 9" 89kg)  ?
5. Ollie Atkins (age 24, lock, Aussie. 5ft 9" 89kg)  ? 8/10 looked v good when he has played and should be better next season with a proper pre season behind him
6. Grayson Hart (age 25, SH, Kiwi)  7/10
7. Andries Struass (age 29, Saffer, Center) ?
8. Alex Toolis - (age 21, lock, Aussie, Scotland EDP player)  ? seem to have disapeared and not even been playing premiership rugby have they?
9. Ben Toolis - (age 21, lock, 6ft 7" Aussie, Scotland EDP player)  ?
10. James Hilterbrand - (age 25, prop, Aussie, 6ft 0", 114kg)  ? 5/10 disappointed so far with him, seen him play for the Force and was decent but not shown great form yet.

Scots qualified after residency

1 Wiccus Blaaw - (age 27, Saffer, Prop) not featured much ? 5/10 4/10 for me, disappoining so far, not been dominant in scrums which was the main reason he was brought in where as John Yapp has been playing well at LI
2. Carl Bezuidenhout - (age 28, Saffer, Fly Half) 6/10
3. Mike Coman - (age 26, back rower,Kiwi , former NZ under 19)  ?
4. Alex Lutui - (age 35, hooker, 6ft 0", Tongan)   ? 6/10 looked powerful but way too old to have been brought in.
5 Piers Francis - (age 24, Fly half, 90kg,  6ft 0" Aussie)  4/10 for me 2/10, v poor, passing game was below average and kicking game lacking.
6. Cornell Du Preez (age 24, Back Row, 107kg,  6ft 2" Saffer)  10/10
7. Isak van der Westhuizen - (age 28, Lock, 115kg,  6ft 5" Saffer)  6/10 needs to be more dominant, looks good in phases but lots of room for improvement.
8. Perry Parker - (age 26, Lock, 115kg,  6ft 8", English)  5/10 been loaned ? Not seen enough of him but again good young scottish lock options about.
9. Willem Nel - (age 28, Prop, 120kg,  5ft 10" Saffer) 7/10 a bit like IVDW, good in phases but needs to improve as not been dominant at scrums.

Not scots qualified (waste of sru cash)

1. Ben Atiga (age 31, center, Kiwi 1 cap, 5ft 11", 100kg) 4/10 has looked better recently when he has played but not fit enough for pro rugby these days. Great player when he was younger.
2. Joaquin Dominguez (age 27, center, Puma International, 6ft 3", 103kg)  ? 4/10 nothing special, not sure why he has been given a longer term deal. Average player whos spot should be with a scottish player like Auld and Dick who are the EDPs
3. Dimitri Basailia - (age 28, no. 8, Georgian, 6ft 3", 110kg) 6/10 5/10 started off v poorly but came on to a bit of form but then been forgotten about by Solomons. Again just as good players that are Scottish and young could take his spot.
4. Tomas Leonardi - (age 26, back row, Puma International, 6ft 1", 106kg)  ?
Looks promising but not good enough to be an out and out open and not the type of 6 or 8 Edinburgh need!

looks like this has been a bit of a numbers game with v few successes.   picard

way way too many imports  boxing

The Tongan OAP is capped by Tonga is he not?

Have added my ratings to some of the players.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

Not good to think that with a bit more careful planning, Will Bordill and Adam Ashe could have had some of the Mad Georgian's gametime this year.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:20 pm

Looks like Isles is becoming official. Put on the Scottish Rubgy FB page.

Imagine him and Niko. Anything could happen...

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:40 pm

Ruairdh Jackson is up for the Mcrea ... Award for player of the month on Glasgow's website.

Shocked ErmShocked ErmShocked ErmShocked Erm Shocked ErmShocked ErmShocked ErmShocked ErmShocked ErmShocked ErmShocked ErmShocked Erm

picard 

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 19 Feb 2014, 1:52 pm

I think when you actually see the list of players at Edinburgh who are NSQ (and will never become SQ), it's actually pretty short, and I suspect after the summer will be even shorter still.

I do think we're starting to get into the territory of needing a 3rd pro side, and that the SRU should commence planning towards that now. I've been pretty conservative on this issue, dealing with the debt and getting Glasgow and Edinburgh better has rightly been the priority, and in the short term should continue to be so. But we're now getting to the point where a 3rd pro side could become fairly competitive in the short term, and there are a group of young players coming through whose game time is going to be fairly limited.

Good sides have two decent and functioning XVs. Glasgow have that (albeit a seriously nasty run of injuries has tested that) and Edinburgh are getting pretty close. We should kick-off the project of building a third side soon. It'll take some planning and expenditure to do properly, and we shouldn't rush into it. But I think if we look at a 3-4 year lead time, at that stage we'll certainly have the players in Scotland to justify it. It'll come down to making the numbers work, but if we don't ask the questions, then we won't have the answers.

On the other hand, if Scotland becomes independent, there'll be so much money sloshing around in Scotland that we could probably fund a 3rd region with a tiny fraction of the budget surplus.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:22 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think when you actually see the list of players at Edinburgh who are NSQ (and will never become SQ), it's actually pretty short, and I suspect after the summer will be even shorter still.

I do think we're starting to get into the territory of needing a 3rd pro side, and that the SRU should commence planning towards that now. I've been pretty conservative on this issue, dealing with the debt and getting Glasgow and Edinburgh better has rightly been the priority, and in the short term should continue to be so. But we're now getting to the point where a 3rd pro side could become fairly competitive in the short term, and there are a group of young players coming through whose game time is going to be fairly limited.

Good sides have two decent and functioning XVs. Glasgow have that (albeit a seriously nasty run of injuries has tested that) and Edinburgh are getting pretty close. We should kick-off the project of building a third side soon. It'll take some planning and expenditure to do properly, and we shouldn't rush into it. But I think if we look at a 3-4 year lead time, at that stage we'll certainly have the players in Scotland to justify it. It'll come down to making the numbers work, but if we don't ask the questions, then we won't have the answers.

On the other hand, if Scotland becomes independent, there'll be so much money sloshing around in Scotland that we could probably fund a 3rd region with a tiny fraction of the budget surplus.
How unusual for you, fES?!

I'm still not sure that I see the point in a third side until the grassroots and, in particular, the youth game are sorted out - that should be the priority to ensure a conveyor belt of quality players that can make the step up to the professional game, else we'll simply be shipping in more journeymen to fill the pro ranks

Good to see that you've been doing your #indyref economics homework - Scotland, the 4th richest nation in the world  thumbsup 

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:43 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I think when you actually see the list of players at Edinburgh who are NSQ (and will never become SQ), it's actually pretty short, and I suspect after the summer will be even shorter still.

How unusual for you, fES?!

I'm still not sure that I see the point in a third side until the grassroots and, in particular, the youth game are sorted out - that should be the priority to ensure a conveyor belt of quality players that can make the step up to the professional game, else we'll simply be shipping in more journeymen to fill the pro ranks

Good to see that you've been doing your #indyref economics homework - Scotland, the 4th richest nation in the world  thumbsup 

Did Alex Salmond say that? Surely there can be no doubt at all that it's true, then.

Are we still 4th richest if we factor in (a) needing to print our own currency with Sean Connery's face on it because we're not allowed the pound, (b) the share of the UK's debt that we're inheriting, (c) the hugely over-optimistic oil and gas projections for the next 50 years using methodologies that have been discredited by experts as unsafe and (d) the fact that FES may move some more of his personal fortune to his Geneva seasonal skihouse if the country becomes independent?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next