The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland

+68
Scratch
Rory_Gallagher
dragonbreath
Sgt_Pooly
jamesandimac
SecretFly
Geordie
MissBlennerhassett
Breadvan
lostinwales
Scrumpy
HammerofThunor
Cyril
GunsGerms
BamBam
geoff998rugby
Cowshot
Exiledinborders
fa0019
Sin é
Poorfour
The Great Aukster
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
kiakahaaotearoa
Hood83
asoreleftshoulder
GloriousEmpire
bluestonevedder
nobbled
westisbest
whocares
MunsterMac
TopHat24/7
beshocked
rodders
No 7&1/2
Mickado
king_carlos
gregortree
Barney McGrew did it
Portnoy's Complaint
Feckless Rogue
Gibson
thomh
Engine#4
Jhamer25
Nachos Jones
DaveM
the-goon
englandglory4ever
Artful_Dodger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
Duty281
Chjw131
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
quinsforever
ChequeredJersey
captain carrantuohil
TJ
ME-109
Notch
adambarney
72 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 10 Empty England vs Ireland

Post by adambarney Sun 09 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Could be game of the six nations what do you think?

adambarney

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 10 Empty Re: England vs Ireland

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

SecretFly wrote:I believe me.  England aren't at the races for me.  Sorry.  Want to beat them of course - as an opposition team.  Dreaming of beating them?  No.  Had Ireland won that epic game against New Zealand, with BOD on his last shot at it.... I would have been in Heaven for a few weeks.  Nope, England doesn't do that to me.  France are deep inside me as a team I'd love to get a run on.  History!

And funnily enough for me that's Ireland (in the 6 nations).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

and long may it continue.  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

Scrumpy wrote:You only have to look at how you guys build a game up against us to see that it just means more to you than any other fixture.

Grown men are reduced to tears when they sing there anthem against us, the fans celebrate more when a rare victory is achieved, books and TV documentaries are written about it.

You know it, we know it.  Wink 

You want to believe it...it's good for tourism Wink The 20th Century is gone though. Them battles are over. This current generation never even heard of Empire unless you're talking about a Movie mag Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:12 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:IRB ratings and betting odds suggest england are clear favourites.

Taking an aggregate of the last 3 fixtures Ireland have lost by 40 points.

Confident?

Yes. Ireland to win. Doubt any of the players care about IRB ratings. They didnt when they played Wales the last two times. Odds are also meaningless.

Your aggregate includes a game where Ireland lost by a heavy margin due to fielding two loosehead props. Hardly surprising. How does the aggregate look if you include the last 4 games?

The other two games were a lot closer.

I hate to tell you this but Ireland lost by over 20 points twice in the last three games at twickers. The most Ireland have won by since 1964 was 6 points.

As for the Wales game...Ireland were favourites in that by betting odds and the IRB ranking system which hasnt been wrong yet this six nations.

Im not saying ireland cant/wont win ...just if someone offers you evens on england...take it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:You only have to look at how you guys build a game up against us to see that it just means more to you than any other fixture.

Grown men are reduced to tears when they sing there anthem against us, the fans celebrate more when a rare victory is achieved, books and TV documentaries are written about it.

You want to believe it...it's good for tourism Wink  The 20th Century is gone though.  Them battles are over.  This current generation never even heard of Empire unless you're talking about a Movie mag Wink

Laugh Come come Secret, I won't hold it against you!

I've seen it first hand many a time, you like other Nations are just up for it more vs Little Old England. thumbsup
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

As for the Wales game...Ireland were favourites in that by betting odds and the IRB ranking system which hasnt been wrong yet this six nations.

which IRB ranking system were we favourites on (last week?)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:18 pm

IRB rankings for the last game Ireland 82.96, Wales 80.19. Ireland favourites (including the home advantage 3 points)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

SecretFly wrote:

which IRB ranking system were we favourites on (last week?)

The one in which you were les than 3 points behind Wales which gives a +3 weighting to the home team. The one that exists.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:20 pm

I hate to tell you this but Ireland lost by over 20 points twice in the last three games at twickers. The most Ireland have won by since 1964 was 6 points.

Im not saying ireland cant/wont win ...just if someone offers you evens on england...take it.

Sure the game three games ago in Twickers was in 2008. Ireland beat England by 30 points in Croke park the year before. Big deal.

I dont care how much Ireland win by anyway but I have a good feeling about this one.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:20 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

You want to believe it...it's good for tourism Wink  The 20th Century is gone though.  Them battles are over.  This current generation never even heard of Empire unless you're talking about a Movie mag Wink

Laugh Come come Secret, I won't hold it against you!

I've seen it first hand many a time, you like other Nations are just up for it more vs Little Old England.  thumbsup

The bubble has burst Scrumpy. I think you'll have to start talking about Iraqis and others now. We've moved on. New Zealand Numero Uno. France second. Wales (in the last half decade) third. You might be 4th. That's the best I can do for you. If we have a lovely battle in two weeks, I'll try to upgrade you in my mind. That's the very best I can do for you Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:21 pm

I'd take a 3-0 victory 'Care DG 79min'  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:22 pm

I think some of you have taken your eye off the ball here. It’s protocol to baggsie the under-dog tag as the game approaches.

Here’s the thing – although most would agree that England are better than Ireland and should win (ref, weather, TY and bouncing ball allowing) Ireland are clearly the favourites and must go into the match with the heavy weight of expectation of a definite GS.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:IRB rankings for the last game Ireland 82.96, Wales 80.19. Ireland favourites (including the home advantage 3 points)

? Last week, before the game, Ireland were ahead of Wales in IRB rankings? Is that what you're saying?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:IRB ratings and betting odds suggest england are clear favourites.

Taking an aggregate of the last 3 fixtures Ireland have lost by 40 points.

Confident?

Yes. Ireland to win. Doubt any of the players care about IRB ratings. They didnt when they played Wales the last two times. Odds are also meaningless.

Your aggregate includes a game where Ireland lost by a heavy margin due to fielding two loosehead props. Hardly surprising. How does the aggregate look if you include the last 4 games?

The other two games were a lot closer.

If I saw England evens then I'd definitely take it. I reckon England should be 3-5 point favourites for this game. I think it the range is a narrow 5 point win to Ireland up to a 13 point win for England.

I like this England side. Lancaster has them playing honest. Lawes is becoming a class player, he was always a specimen looking for the highlight hit, but his fundamentals are really solid now. Hartley isn't having his usual moment of madness. Care is concentrating on the game and really stepping up. Some of the relative new names in the backline are showing they can step up to Test level and really deliver a performance.

It should be a good game. If we get a ref who keeps the game flowing it could be a cracker.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

Barney McGrew did it wrote:I think some of you have taken your eye off the ball here. It’s protocol to baggsie the under-dog tag as the game approaches.

Here’s the thing – although most would agree that England are better than Ireland and should win (ref, weather, TY and bouncing ball allowing) Ireland are clearly the favourites and must go into the match with the heavy weight of expectation of a definite GS.

England must win. Ireland want to win. No expectation of GS on us. Nobody believes we'll do it...most of all the better team we'll be meeting.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

Maybe its me being sombre but have Ireland really played that well yet? The game against the AB's was great but should really have finished that off. So far in the 6N Ireland have been solid at best. The backs, which many vaunted JS to make electric, have not really been that good aside a few individual moments.

Going to really see what they are made of at Twickers against England who I think have been the best team this tournament. I can only see an England victory.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:
The bubble has burst Scrumpy.  I think you'll have to start talking about Iraqis and others now.  We've moved on.  New Zealand Numero Uno.  France second.  Wales (in the last half decade) third.  You might be 4th.  That's the best I can do for you.  If we have a lovely battle in two weeks, I'll try to upgrade you in my mind.  That's the very best I can do for you Wink

That is simply not true when I've been surrounded by rival supporters at these games or in a Pub, you know it I know it  thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:IRB rankings for the last game Ireland 82.96, Wales 80.19. Ireland favourites (including the home advantage 3 points)

?  Last week, before the game, Ireland were ahead of Wales in IRB rankings?  Is that what you're saying?

The ratings are given a plus 3 factor for a home team. Wales were ranked above Ireland, but Ireland at home were favourites under the system.

Its not that complicated.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:32 pm

Have we ever had a pre-match thread fill up over a week before the game even kicks off?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:35 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Maybe its me being sombre but have Ireland really played that well yet? The game against the AB's was great but should really have finished that off. So far in the 6N Ireland have been solid at best. The backs, which many vaunted JS to make electric, have not really been that good aside a few individual moments.

Going to really see what they are made of at Twickers against England who I think have been the best team this tournament. I can only see an England victory.

They havent played that well I agree but they have got tactics right, cut out a lot of errors and are quite well drilled. As such there is a good improvement. I read a stat that until Saturday we hadnt won back to back games since '09. Not sure if that is accurate.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:35 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
The bubble has burst Scrumpy.  I think you'll have to start talking about Iraqis and others now.  We've moved on.  New Zealand Numero Uno.  France second.  Wales (in the last half decade) third.  You might be 4th.  That's the best I can do for you.  If we have a lovely battle in two weeks, I'll try to upgrade you in my mind.  That's the very best I can do for you Wink

That is simply not true when I've been surrounded by rival supporters at these games or in a Pub, you know it I know it  thumbsup 

Scrumpy...you're losing the argument.  It ain't so.  If it was so I'd be here giving it plenty more 'passion' than I'm doing.  This is far too nice a thread for anyone to believe England v Ireland is anything more than a necessary game to get through for both.  It ain't close to being Wales v England... and won't be. I would bet it won't even come close to some of the fists and jaws stuff of last week that formed part of the Ireland v Wales build-up.  It's much too polite in here. It ain't hot. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:

?  Last week, before the game, Ireland were ahead of Wales in IRB rankings?  Is that what you're saying?

The ratings are given a plus 3 factor for a home team. Wales were ranked above Ireland, but Ireland at home were favourites under the system.

Its not that complicated.

So the ranking system called the game? And you say it mostly always calls a game? Hmmm................ I must start betting on things (I don't) Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

Chjw131 wrote:Have we ever had a pre-match thread fill up over a week before the game even kicks off?

Well it is the six nations semi final.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Barney McGrew did it wrote:I think some of you have taken your eye off the ball here. It’s protocol to baggsie the under-dog tag as the game approaches.

England must win.  Ireland want to win.  No expectation of GS on us.  Nobody believes we'll do it...most of all the better team we'll be meeting.

You have to approach it as must win. Otherwise, losing is acceptable, and once you start losing, you might find it very hard to make it only a narrow loss not an absolute stuffing!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
You have to approach it as must win. Otherwise, losing is acceptable, and once you start losing, you might find it very hard to make it only a narrow loss not an absolute stuffing!

Exactly every Ireland player believes they are going to win, guarenteed.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

If England were playing the way Ireland have been we'd be labelled as one thing, boring!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:40 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Chjw131 wrote:Have we ever had a pre-match thread fill up over a week before the game even kicks off?

Apparently so!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:41 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

and even if they didn't they certainly wouldn't say otherwise.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:41 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Really? who are the unbeaten teams so far?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:41 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

England must win.  Ireland want to win.  No expectation of GS on us.  Nobody believes we'll do it...most of all the better team we'll be meeting.

Never mind about me though -I'm just a fan. What I think doesn't matter - the team will approach the game to win it as well as they can. But pressure? It's on England. Must-win game to keep them in the Championship. Ireland can slip up and still be next to England on future chances.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:42 pm

TJ wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Really?  who are the unbeaten teams so far?  

Ireland and France. That will be the final.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm

Ah - now I understand

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:43 pm

Cyril wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Do you think some of them think they are going to lose? Not in a million years.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:44 pm

I actually think Wales will beat France and Ireland lose to France.

England beating Ireland and Wales.

Then we can't mess up vs Italy can we? Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:44 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Cyril wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Do you think some of them think they are going to lose? Not in a million years.
I don't propose to know what's going on in their heads. We'll wait for the autobiographies Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Scrumpy...you're losing the argument.  It ain't so.  If it was so I'd be here giving it plenty more 'passion' than I'm doing.  This is far too nice a thread for anyone to believe England v Ireland is anything more than a necessary game to get through for both.  It ain't close to being Wales v England... and won't be.  I would bet it won't even come close to some of the fists and jaws stuff of last week that formed part of the Ireland v Wales build-up.  It's much too polite in here. It ain't hot.  Wink

It's true. Some England fans still have a hang over from 2003 - when England were the best team in the world. Then sure everybody wanted a piece of them, as is the norm for any sporting hierarchy. To beat them meant you were good enough to be #1 yourselves.
My theory is that this idea amongst England supporters that they are somehow perennial under dogs because everyone is against them and wants to make a point particularly to beat them is probably indicative that so many of England's current fan base started watching the game simply because England were successful, and they haven't realised there is no history before 2002 and the feelings died out around 2004 when they were discredited as a world beating side.

If the planets of the solar system are the contenders for world rugby domination then I have England as Pluto - once a planet but downgraded in status. Bubbling along in the outer belt with other minor rubble, occasionally swinging close enough to the bright centre of gravity to maintain atmosphere, but that soon evaporating.

Last edited by GloriousEmpire on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

Chjw131 wrote:If England were playing the way Ireland have been we'd be labelled as one thing, boring!

So call us boring.  Wink  It's for others to throw that at us.  So if people feel the impulse to say it - say it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:46 pm

That was a quick holiday, GE! Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:48 pm

Cyril wrote:I actually think Wales will beat France and Ireland lose to France.

Warning: Over-confident Police Force are on duty in this thread, Cyril. Be careful. I know I almost got handcuffed and tazzered already Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:49 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Warning:  Over-confident Police Force are on duty in this thread, Cyril.  Be careful.  I know I almost got handcuffed and tazzered already Wink
Hang on officer! I did say I wasn't 100% sure about beating Italy...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Scrumpy...you're losing the argument.  It ain't so.  If it was so I'd be here giving it plenty more 'passion' than I'm doing.  This is far too nice a thread for anyone to believe England v Ireland is anything more than a necessary game to get through for both.  It ain't close to being Wales v England... and won't be.  I would bet it won't even come close to some of the fists and jaws stuff of last week that formed part of the Ireland v Wales build-up.  It's much too polite in here. It ain't hot.  Wink

It's true. Some England fans still have a hang over from 2003 - when England were the best team in the world. Then sure everybody wanted a piece of them, as is the norm for any sporting hierarchy. To beat them meant you were good enough to be #1 yourselves.
My theory is that this idea amongst England supporters that they are somehow perennial under dogs because everyone is against them and wants to make a point particularly to beat them is probably indicative that so many of England's current fan base started watching the game simply because England were successful, and they haven't realised there is no history before 2002 and the feelings died out around 2004 when they were discredited as a world beating side.

If the planets of the solar system are the contenders for world rugby domination then I have England as Pluto - once a planet but downgraded in status. Bubbling along in the outer belt with other minor rubble, occasionally swinging close enough to the bright centre of gravity to maintain atmosphere, but that soon evaporating.

Youre the one who has the well worn VHS, still watching it back to try and prove NZ wouldve won it 9 times out of 10?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:50 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Chjw131 wrote:If England were playing the way Ireland have been we'd be labelled as one thing, boring!

So call us boring.  Wink  It's for others to throw that at us.  So if people feel the impulse to say it - say it.

Errrmmm - apart from it wasn't the boring england style. A lot more dynamic than that and did not rely on forcing penalties as england did in their boring boring phase

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:51 pm

Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Warning:  Over-confident Police Force are on duty in this thread, Cyril.  Be careful.  I know I almost got handcuffed and tazzered already Wink
Hang on officer! I did say I wasn't 100% sure about beating Italy...

Would it be arrogant of the welsh to be confident of beating scotchland?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:52 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Do you think some of them think they are going to lose? Not in a million years.

Most sportsmen know the fear of failure. For some, it can be paralysing; for others, it's the motivation to achieve great things. There are a select few with total self-belief who can deliver great performances but even the finest players usually have a seed of doubt in their mind.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:53 pm

TJ wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Errrmmm - apart from it wasn't the boring england style.  A lot more dynamic than that and did not rely on forcing penalties as england did in their boring boring phase
Which 'boring boring phase' are you referring to TJ? We've had a few so it's best to be specific.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:55 pm

Cyril - Dean Richards up the jumper years :-) that surely was the main part of the boring boring England

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:56 pm

Would it be arrogant of the welsh to be confident of beating scotchland?

yes - given how poor Wales now look and that surely Scotland can't be that hopeless again can they?  Wink

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Feb 2014, 5:58 pm

SecretFly wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Never mind about me though -I'm just a fan.  What I think doesn't matter - the team will approach the game to win it as well as they can. But pressure?  It's on England.  Must-win game to keep them in the Championship.  Ireland can slip up and still be next to England on future chances.

I'm not sure that is true. Both sides will be feeling pressure, but I think just as much will be on Ireland. Both sides will also be confident
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Feb 2014, 6:00 pm

Our team is English. We are far too arrogant to go into a match not believing we will win. Far more likely to be complacent (I don't think we will) than fearful!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm

I would suspect a little bit of trepidation from England.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next