The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland

+68
Scratch
Rory_Gallagher
dragonbreath
Sgt_Pooly
jamesandimac
SecretFly
Geordie
MissBlennerhassett
Breadvan
lostinwales
Scrumpy
HammerofThunor
Cyril
GunsGerms
BamBam
geoff998rugby
Cowshot
Exiledinborders
fa0019
Sin é
Poorfour
The Great Aukster
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
kiakahaaotearoa
Hood83
asoreleftshoulder
GloriousEmpire
bluestonevedder
nobbled
westisbest
whocares
MunsterMac
TopHat24/7
beshocked
rodders
No 7&1/2
Mickado
king_carlos
gregortree
Barney McGrew did it
Portnoy's Complaint
Feckless Rogue
Gibson
thomh
Engine#4
Jhamer25
Nachos Jones
DaveM
the-goon
englandglory4ever
Artful_Dodger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
Duty281
Chjw131
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
quinsforever
ChequeredJersey
captain carrantuohil
TJ
ME-109
Notch
adambarney
72 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 15 Empty England vs Ireland

Post by adambarney Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Could be game of the six nations what do you think?

adambarney

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 15 Empty Re: England vs Ireland

Post by Scrumpy Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Cyril wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:I had a meal with Big Phil once.

I assume it wasn't a retirement dinner then.

I think it might have been.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:29 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Thats true but its a good indication that Ireland dont cheat as much as some might claim.

Or that we cheat smarter. I'd much rather it be that we cheat smarter than are some innocent naifs.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:2 wins against poor sides and Ireland are unbeatable! (sort of)  Wink 

Who said they were unbeatable? One of those poor sides recently humiliated England. Cant be that bad.

I agree, England should have scored 50+ vs Scotland 'oh the humiliation!'  Sad 

The English women did.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Cyril wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:I had a meal with Big Phil once.

I assume it wasn't a retirement dinner then.

I think it might have been.

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/author.html?author=10

He hasnt retired, but hes backing Ireland for the title.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Notch wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Thats true but its a good indication that Ireland dont cheat as much as some might claim.

Or that we cheat smarter. I'd much rather it be that we cheat smarter than are some innocent naifs.
When it comes to Irish 'cheating' I just tend to check out Morgan Parra's opinion. He seems fairly neutral Whistle

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm

Who cares about Parra's opinion? He's the master cheat, wind up, fighty little Bar Steward!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:43 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Who cares about Parra's opinion? He's the master cheat, wind up, fighty little Bar Steward!
I don't know, I'll ask him!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Yeah but the Paras never exactly liked the Irish did they (inappropriate?...feel free to mod)

If you feel it's inappropriate, then why did you post it?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Morgan Parra???  That little %^&$$£%^*!!!

"Zee Irish ees cheats, yes?  But makes no dif-feraunce.  They steel up the scheet creek with uz, no?!"

Wee, Parra.  We steel up scheet creek....so what's your a pointe?!

Anyway.. I think the English game will be Big...but that basterauding French game is going to be BIG!  We just got to start beating them.  Same WC group too.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yeah but the Paras never exactly liked the Irish did they (inappropriate?...feel free to mod)

They were only in the UK part.... so the Paras didn't like UK citizens?  Okay then, if that's how they felt about it.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Yeah but the Paras never exactly liked the Irish did they (inappropriate?...feel free to mod)
 warning 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:Morgan Parra???  That little %^&$$£%^*!!!

"Zee Irish ees cheats, yes?  But makes no dif-feraunce.  They steel up the scheet creek with uz, no?!"

Anyway.. I think the English game will be Big...but that basterauding French game is going to be BIG!  We just got to start beating them.  Same WC group too.
I think Fly has just answered my question of whether 'Allo 'Allo was ever exported to Ireland Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Morgan Parra???  That little %^&$$£%^*!!!

I think Fly has just answered my question of whether 'Allo 'Allo was ever exported to Ireland Smile

Pretty sure Peter Stringer used to play Mimmi

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

I'd be much more confident of beating France than England unless France improve beyond measure for Round 5.

About the only thing I can say about the French that makes them more dangerous opponents than England atm is that they are less predictable if the game breaks down. And maybe the scrum. England are still a better team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Notch wrote:I'd be much more confident of beating France than England unless France improve beyond measure for Round 5.

About the only thing I can say about the French that makes them more dangerous opponents than England atm is that they are less predictable if the game breaks down.

Yeah cos we have such a good record against France in Paris. Even when they are cr.p they beat us.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:58 pm

France are a fading force, they've been living off these unpredictable clichés for a few seasons now and there is no substance behind them.

They are predictably average if you ask me.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Notch wrote:I'd be much more confident of beating France than England unless France improve beyond measure for Round 5.

About the only thing I can say about the French that makes them more dangerous opponents than England atm is that they are less predictable if the game breaks down.

Yeah cos we have such a good record against France in Paris. Even when they are cr.p they beat us.

Yeah, but unless we go over there with that attitude we'll probably win this year. Thats all thats stopped us winning over there before at times; the psychological barrier. Last years 6th place was not an unfair reflection of the quality of the French side. We've got to be wary of them and respectful of them but if their general play is the standard they've shown under St. Andre we have nothing to fear either.

We haven't ever played a France team this bad in Paris since the game went pro and we probably won't ever again so better make the best of it!

Last edited by Notch on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:00 pm

ME-109 wrote:

Actually we drew last time with calamity Kidney in charge, imagine how much we'll win by with the maestro in charge.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:00 pm

rodders wrote:France are a fading force, they've been living off these unpredictable clichés for a few seasons now and there is no substance behind them.

They are predictably average if you ask me.

They are completely predictable in their structured play, but unpredictable as individuals.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:03 pm

rodders wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Actually we drew last time with calamity Kidney in charge, imagine how much we'll win by with the maestro in charge.....

Indeed...in fact we drew with them in Paris...If Schmidt can get a win in Paris against a full French team (not the third string they had on the park in 2000) then that would be impressive.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:04 pm

France... my opinion. The most dangerous team we'll meet this 6N.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:06 pm

SecretFly wrote:France... my opinion.  The most dangerous team we'll meet this 6N.

The only thing dangerous about France at the minute is the ferry crossing.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Yahoo we're really at odds on our outlook this year Rodders.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.... but..............................damn it, it'll need time again to prove who is right.

But that second half kill-off stint by France was no fluke and was in no way unstructured individual play.  They killed off Italy in a storm of French pomp. Then they settled back to defend comfortably for the rest of the game.

The most complete performance of killer instinct in a brief period by any team yet in this Championship.

You'll tell me it was Italy.  I'll tell you our first game was Scotland. Wink You can only decapitate what's in front of you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 pm

SecretFly wrote:You can only decapitate what's in front of you.
Pretty sure that has been proven false in one of the Highlander movies.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:14 pm

The year is young fly old bean ....in a couple of weeks we'll be celebrating a 6N title and all will be forgotten ... Smile ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:27 pm

rodders wrote:The year is young fly old bean ....in a couple of weeks we'll be celebrating a 6N title and all will be forgotten ... Smile..... Run

"That's the spirit, George.  If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"

Wink 

Assuming you remember blackadder.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 pm

fa0019 wrote:
rodders wrote:The year is young fly old bean ....in a couple of weeks we'll be celebrating a 6N title and all will be forgotten ... Smile..... Run

"That's the spirit, George.  If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through"

Wink 

Assuming you remember blackadder.

clap 

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:14 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Indeed...in fact we drew with them in Paris...If Schmidt can get a win in Paris against a full French team (not the third string they had on the park in 2000) then that would be impressive.

For me, if he loses, it'll be slightly disappointing. Not the end of the world but it's a game which is there to be won. Its the England game we're not favourites for.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm

SecretFly wrote:France... my opinion.  The most dangerous team we'll meet this 6N.

I thought Cole was trying to assassinate your entire team before the match started like he does every game? Surely thats more dangerous than an onion seller in a beret saying "meh"

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

I thought Cole was trying to assassinate your entire team before the match started like he does every game? Surely thats more dangerous than an onion seller in a beret saying "meh"

??? You'll have to very much elaborate on that one, Peter.  I don't know why - I'm sure I should know what that means, but I don't.    

BTW, is there a sense of frustration going on here that some of us think our game against France is the main date for us?  It ain't personal Peter.  It's simply factual.  
If we win against England we still have to beat France for a GS shot.  
If we lose against England, then we'll still have a Championship shot up for grabs and beating France is even more important then.  It's our main game and therefore most dangerous game (and they are a dangerous team) because of how our games pan out this year.  Oh and because they're the best team in 6N history........ !!!  Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

??? You'll have to very much elaborate on that one, Peter.  I don't know why - I'm sure I should know what that means, but I don't.    

BTW, is there a sense of frustration going on here that some of us think our game against France is the main date for us?  It ain't personal Peter.  It's simply factual.  
If we win against England we still have to beat France for a GS shot.  
If we lose against England, then we'll still have a Championship shot up for grabs and beating France is even more important then.  It's our main game and therefore most dangerous game (and they are a dangerous team) because of how our games pan out this year.  Oh and because they're the best team in 6N history........ !!!  Wink

I'm more frustrated by the fact you feel the need to take this seriously and Costner

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Hmmm...no I think you try to disguise seriousness...with seriousness Wink

Anyway, the Cole thing..tell me quick before ME catches me asking you and calls me a dope...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm

About the only thing I can say about the French that makes them more dangerous opponents than England atm is that they are less predictable if the game breaks down. And maybe the scrum. England are still a better team.

I just don't get this. France beat England remember? That surely makes France the better team? I think the Irish have a better chance of beating England than France

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:08 pm

that france beat england only means that france beat england.

england beat australia and ireland lost to them. so what. does that mean england are better than ireland? and france are better than australia?

these cross-comparisons basaed on results alone are meaningless.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 pm

It just so amuses me the arrogance of the English fan insisting that their team is better than the french despite being beaten by them and despite the fact england had no answer to the french attacking prowess.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 pm

TJ wrote:

I just don't get this.  France beat England remember?  That surely makes France the better team?  I think the Irish have a better chance of beating England than France
The idea that winning a one off match by two points at home makes a team the best is ridiculous. Think back to last year. Ireland beat Wales and England beat Ireland. Based on your logic England were better than Wales. But we all know the rest...

It should be a great match.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

TJ wrote:It just so amuses me the arrogance of the English fan insisting that their team is better than the french despite being beaten by them and despite the fact england had no answer to the french attacking prowess.
It is almost as amusing as your tendency to see nothing good in English Rugby.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:36 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
TJ wrote:It just so amuses me the arrogance of the English fan insisting that their team is better than the french despite being beaten by them and despite the fact england had no answer to the french attacking prowess.

Or to repeat the same falsehoods endlessly in the hope they might actually become true. But nevermind. This thread has had its ups and downs but was going really well today

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:

Plenty of good in English rugby as I have repeatedly said. Lancaster has done a good job rebuilding the team and they show ominous signs of becoming very good indeed. However they are not there yet. Still very mush a work in progress and I expect them to get better yet. They are my bet for the WC. I have praised england when praise is due. Its remain a fact they were beaten by the better side playing better rugby altho to listen to the english fans on here "clearly the better side" etc etc you wouldn't believe it.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:08 pm

Doesn't matter if we should have beaten France. we can't go back and beat them. We'll just have to beat everyone else and hope
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 pm

Although I think our answer to the French attacking prowess was to score 2 attacking tries and lead the match. Just have to stop defensive lapses. And keep a sensible looking defensive backline. And keep some attacking players on. It's an impressive substitution strategy that brings on defensive players over attacking ones and still weakens our defensive line. Almost zen.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:04 am

So what is it when an Irish fan says England are better (Notch)? Is he just misguided?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:55 am

quinsforever wrote:that france beat england only means that france beat england.

england beat australia and ireland lost to them. so what. does that mean england are better than ireland? and france are better than australia?

these cross-comparisons basaed on results alone are meaningless.

Ja. Hate that schitt. Its what 7 year olds do.

But...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 am

Too close to call in my book. Ireland look very dangerous, England very promising. Heart says England; head says Ireland by a better reading of us than we make of them and a more mature side that knows how to close out the game...

On the other hand...We've made an awful mess of the Irish scrum before now, there's a lot of talent in the backs and Farrell appears to have added to his game. My gosh, at present I feel either side could win it by around 20 if the place isn't underwater...

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 am

Cowshot wrote:Too close to call in my book. Ireland look very dangerous, England very promising. Heart says England; head says Ireland by a better reading of us than we make of them and a more mature side that knows how to close out the game...

On the other hand...We've made an awful mess of the Irish scrum before now, there's a lot of talent in the backs and Farrell appears to have added to his game. My gosh, at present I feel either side could win it by around 20 if the place isn't underwater...

I agree. This game could really open up for the team that takes their chances. Wouldn't it be nice to play a no-fear game for us lot to watch and enjoy? It wont happen. It will be brutal as per.  But, this is bragging rights. If we beat ye lot in HQ,  a year out from the RWC, questions will be asked in the House.  Us Paddies just love causing that kinda mayhem.  

I can't call it either Cowshot. Our teams match up,  nearly.  Its all down to the coaches.

Believe.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:00 am

Is Courtney Lawes an over-hyped,  poor mans,  POM? Can he compete with him at the high-end?
Tune in.

Can the English 1st choice frontrow deal with our 2nd string frontrow, never mind our 1st?
Tune in with 15 mins to go.

Can Farrel live with Sexton?
Tune in.
No.

Can Careless live with Murray?
Tune in.

Can the English pack deal with technical intelligence?
Tune in.

Will Moore and Gusset lose the plot?
??
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 am

POM was lucky Wayne Barnes was in 'understanding' mode last week.

He (POM) and the Irish in general need to stop bending the ref's ear. It's going to end badly soon. Joubert really should have stood up to them better the week before. Saying 'you need to stop them shouting at me' is not the sign of a strong ref.

It's one thing having a go at the ref when you're winning. When they're on the back foot against England I think we'll see a bit of marching back 10 yards and possibly a few cards.

Believe.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:06 am

Gibson wrote:Is Courtney Lawes an over-hyped,  poor mans,  POM? Can he compete with him at the high-end?
Tune in.
??

Well he might just be a better 6 than Lawes but considering POM is just a poor man's copy of Wood lets see how he deals with the original before wondering how he compares with Lawes.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:10 am

This POM better be good.

I've never heard so much hype since Lydiate.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 am

Cyril wrote:This POM better be good.

I've never heard so much hype since Lydiate.

Do you only watch England games?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next