The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III

+38
geoff998rugby
highland_scot
reallybored
Manky-Flanker
Notch
EST
MacKnocked-on
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Solid8
Totalflanker
R!skysports
Captain_Sensible
Dorothy_Mantooth
cakeordeath
TJ
justified sinner
IanBru
tigertattie
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
demosthenes
Weegie Wizard
GLove39
EWT Spoons
madmaccas
BigGee
VinceWLB
nickj
CraigS1874
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
RDW
Biltong
George Carlin
42 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Historical Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Blacka11
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Georgi10 
1. Pre-season

Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 15 - 5 Newcastle Falcons

Fri 23 Aug 2013, 19:30
Northampton Saints 24 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

2. 2013/2014 Season - Played

Sat 7 Sep, 19:15
Munster Rugby 34 - 23 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 13 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 21 Sep, 18:30
Ospreys 44 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 9 - 22 Scarlets

Sun 6 Oct, 14:05
Cardiff Blues 29 - 12 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 25 Oct, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 13 Benetton Treviso

Fri 1 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 23 Zebre

Fri 22 Nov 19:05
Ulster Rugby 41 - 17 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 29 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 43 - 10 Connacht

Fri 20 Dec 19:35
Edinburgh Rugby 11 - 6 Leinster

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 17:00
Connacht Rugby 11 - 7 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 22 Feb 14:30
Scarlets 25 - 21 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 28 Feb 19:35
Edinburgh Rugby 31 - 25 Ospreys

Fri 21 Mar 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 3 - 9 Ulster Rugby

Sat 29 Mar 19:00
Benetton Treviso 20 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Thu 3 Apr 18:30
Newport Gwent Dragons 19 - 23 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 11 Apr 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 22 - 29 Cardiff Blues

Sat 19 Apr 15:30
Zebre 26 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 26 Apr 19:05
Glasgow Warriors 37 - 34 Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Final Games

Sat 3 May 17:00
Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby
Meggetland
BBCALBA/TG4

Sat 10 May 18:30
Leinster Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby
Royal Dublin Society

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Kirsty10 
1. Pre-season

Sat 31 Aug 2013, 15:00
Exeter Chiefs 26 - 29 Glasgow Warriors

2. 2013/2014 Season

Fri 6 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 15 Cardiff Blues

Fri 13 Sep, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 12 - 6 Leinster Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:30
Zebre 17 - 24 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 5 Oct, 18:30
Scarlets 12 - 17 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 Oct, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Sat 2 Nov, 17:00
Connacht Rugby 12 - 19 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 22 Nov, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 23 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 29 Nov, 19:05
Ospreys 16 - 28 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Dec, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors P - P Benetton Treviso

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 9 Feb 14:00
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 6 Connacht Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 18:30
Cardiff Blues 20 - 27 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 23 Feb 14:30
Newport Gwent Dragons 24 - 23 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 1 Mar 20:30
Leinster Rugby 28 - 25 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 22 Mar 18:30
Glasgow Warriors 14 - 6 Scarlets

Fri 28 Mar 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 11 - 9 Ospreys

Fri 4 Apr 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 29 - 10 Benetton Treviso

Sat 12 Apr 18:30
Munster Rugby 5 - 22 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 18 Apr 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 27 - 9 Ulster Rugby

Sat 26 Apr 19:05
Glasgow Warriors 37 - 34 Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Final Games

Fri 2 May 20:00
Benetton Treviso v Glasgow Warriors
Stadio Monigo
Mediast/ALBA

Sat 10 May 18:30
Glasgow Warriors v Zebre
Scotstoun Stadium

[16/17/18 May
PO Semi Final
[tbc] v [tbc]
Venue TBA]

[Sat 31 May
PO Final
[tbc] v [tbc]
Venue TBA]

Any and all patter about these teams is welcome.

Any jingoism, sledging or graceless kicking of anyone whilst they are up or down will see posts deleted.

Be gracious and be constructive.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 am; edited 5 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:51 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Agree completely Vince - although Chris Fusaro is a great wee 7 battler and grubber a rounder too !!!!

He is a Fifer though....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III

Post by RDW Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:45 am

Was reading this morning that Stevie Scott was sent to South Africa to spend a week with the Bulls learning from the likes of Matfield and their coaches.

It is great for a young Scottish coach to get this kind of opportunity, but am concerned that we're trying to do everything the South African way.

There's a lot we can take from them of course, but we're Scottish, not South African, with a different type of player and different strengths and weaknesses.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Was reading this morning that Stevie Scott was sent to South Africa to spend a week with the Bulls learning from the likes of Matfield and their coaches.

It is great for a young Scottish coach to get this kind of opportunity, but am concerned that we're trying to do everything the South African way.

There's a lot we can take from them of course, but we're Scottish, not South African, with a different type of player and different strengths and weaknesses.

Well for years we seemed to want to become New Zealanders, so its nothing new in terms of trying to pick up on different styles of play, so long as we adapt them to our players strengths and weaknesses; and not the other way round.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Its worth going but I hope it doesnt mean that we just copy the SA handbook.

Maybe its all new age hippy type managerial nonsense, but what I've seen from Scotland over the last few years is coaches come in, pick a bunch of guys and then try to get them playing the style of rugby the coach thinks works best.

Should it not be the other way round? Should the coach not come in, see who the best players are at his disposal and then come up with a game style and tactics to suit the strengths of the team?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 pm

tigertattie wrote:Its worth going but I hope it doesnt mean that we just copy the SA handbook.

Maybe its all new age hippy type managerial nonsense, but what I've seen from Scotland over the last few years is coaches come in, pick a bunch of guys and then try to get them playing the style of rugby the coach thinks works best.

Should it not be the other way round? Should the coach not come in, see who the best players are at his disposal and then come up with a game style and tactics to suit the strengths of the team?

Whereas I'd say that's what a genuinely good coach would do, it's not the reality of 90% (?) of coaches even at this level. Like some actors; great at playing particular roles but you never see them doing anything else.

Personally I think somebody needs to come in and get Scotland playing like Edinburgh's HK SF pedigree. Although nailbiting I think *that* is Scotland's best style of play over the past 5 years. Robinson with Parks at 10 was quite close to this, actually, and we had some very good games with them - even if we didn't have the psychology to close them out.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Perhaps Scott is simply going down there to see what a functioning lineout actually looks like. It he can figure that out, then it'll be a prosperous trip.

Re: style of play I think there are various aspects to this. Different coaches have different prefences for approach to set piece and defence, and what I think Scotland needs to do better is adapt to the circumstances of the particular match in hand. We are painfully slow at changing approach during a game, and tend to blindly follow what has been prescribed (see the endless box kicking) rather than reacting to what works and what doesn't.

I appreciate that comes from a team maturing together, which SJ has ensured hasn't happened, but that's where I'd like the team to improve.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm

I don't like it when teams go in to matches playing tactics that are designed to negate the opposition.  You should go into matches playing the style that best suits you.

I fully understand developing defensive systems based on differnet teams. Blitzing them or using a drift etc. However, your own style of play with ball in hand should be the system that works best for you.

Imagine if a coach said "right, we are playing Can't Catch FP. Their back three are terrible under the high ball. Their wingers are only 5ft tall. Our tactics are to kick high to them at every oppertunity" However, your team are urine poor at kicking and your wingers are big (but powerful) and slow but have great hands.

Wouldyou kick high to your opponents weakness or stay true to your own style of getting the ball wide and have your wingers run over theirs?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:45 pm

tigertattie wrote:I don't like it when teams go in to matches playing tactics that are designed to negate the opposition.  You should go into matches playing the style that best suits you.

I fully understand developing defensive systems based on differnet teams. Blitzing them or using a drift etc. However, your own style of play with ball in hand should be the system that works best for you.

Imagine if a coach said "right, we are playing Can't Catch FP. Their back three are terrible under the high ball. Their wingers are only 5ft tall. Our tactics are to kick high to them at every oppertunity" However, your team are urine poor at kicking and your wingers are big (but powerful) and slow but have great hands.

Wouldyou kick high to your opponents weakness or stay true to your own style of getting the ball wide and have your wingers run over theirs?

Kick  Wink 

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Riskysports wrote:
tigertattie wrote:I don't like it when teams go in to matches playing tactics that are designed to negate the opposition.  You should go into matches playing the style that best suits you.

Kick  Wink 

picard
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:25 am

Glasgow fans - does anyone have a clue what toonie sees his best 23 as?

And is it a bad thing if he doesn't have a clue?

There's so much competition in that squad, especially back row and centre.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 am

RD,

it has taken the last 6 weeks to get our Internationals back from the 6 Ns to forget the ludicrous nonsense coached into them by Johnson and his team of incompetent erseholes at M'field. That and why was John Welsh not there ? Johnny Gray, Bob Harley Mark Bennett. Laidlaw over Cusiter - don't make me laugh - Laidlaw couldn't lace Cusiter boots. It just highlights how shockingly bad the Scottish coaching set up is. Lets hope Cotter sacks every one of the useless tw88s !

Here goes with our best 23

Hogg ( but I can't see him dropping Peter Murchie as he has been excellent)
Maitland - awesome rugby player - Scottish player of the season
Seymour - gets better and better
Bennett -  angel 
Horne - Hornee furra Linneee - showed what we have been missing
Russell - last night shows what a player he is and can get better (21 year old)
Cusiter - the best scrum half in Scotland by a very long way - destroyed Murray last week
Wilson
Strauss
Fusaro - Holmes closing fast
Swinson
Gray
Welsh
Hall
Grant ( although how do you drop Gordy Reid - The Shrekster?)

Reid/ Grant, MacArthur, Big Naka, Harley, Vernon , Dunbar, Mad McMata, Murchie/Hogg

Way too difficult - but what a problem if all good to go !  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

Gordy Reid keeps to impress me, his scrummaging has improved and his pick and go are a joy to watch..

Hogg, Carlin Isles, Slamont, Dunbar, DTH VDM, Weir/Jackson, thats a whole back line that wasn't on show yesterday and it isn't too shabby!

For what it's worth i thought Glasgow missed Dunbar's direct running yesterday so i think he would make my best 23, close call between Seymour and DTH VDM but i think our favourite Canadian just about edge it  Headscratch 

John Welsh is easily the best TH and with Moray Low and Dr Geoff in the same squad, it makes Johnson looks like a fool  censored 

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:53 am

It shows how far Glasgow have come and what depth they have now that DTH would by no means walk back into the side at the moment, nor will Lamont when he gets back from injury and Isles is not really in the reckoning yet!

I think we will see him at least once this season though, probably coming on as a sub against Zebre, hopefully with the game in the bag, or maybe if we need the 4th try. Lets give him 10 mins to see what he can do!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 am

DTH can beat any defender and this is imo very very important, if he can get back to his best form, he starts for me!
But yes Seymour in this form would be hard to drop, dito Murchie.

Isles coming on in the last quarter of a game is indeed a very exciting prospect  Very Happy 

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:07 am

I think Hogg should come back in. I'd say Murchie is like Cuthbert - secure, consistent, but not a game changer and.No where near the same league as Hogg

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:13 am

I am sure we will see Hoggy again before the end of the season provided his injury heals up. It must be killing him sitting these games out, just hope that he is not to revved up when he does make it back!

Still we are very lucky to be able to field such a solid player as Murchie in his absence. He has not let us down one iota!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Imagine a revved up Hogg, Mad McMata and Isles coming on to administer the coup de gras to the MFLs next Saturday. What a mouth watering prospect !  Very Happy  Shocked  Very Happy  Yahoo 

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Beaten 26-13 by the worst team in the league. Defence as soft as a rabbits ear and a lineout as poor as the Democratic republic of Congo.

My prediction for next weeks match at Scotstoun...

Last edited by GLove39 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 pm

Toonie's best 23 if nobody is injured and assuming reasonable form for everyone is:

01 Grant
02 Hall
03 Welsh
04 Gray
05 Swinson
06 Strauss
07 Fusaro
08 Wilson

09 Cusiter
10 Jackson (I presume after one game that I am not allowed to select Russell)
11 DTH
12 Dunbar
13 Bennett
14 Maitland
15 Hogg

16 MacArthur
17 Jerry
18 Cross
19 Nakarawa
20 Harley
21 Matawalu
22 Russell
23 Horne

But look at the players you would have to leave out of that 23 - Cusack, Reid, Ryder, Holmes, Eddie, Murchie, Lamont, Isles, Weir and Seymour - almost all of whom have been excellent at crucial points of the season.

That's mad, Ted.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 pm

My best team (I'm going to include Russell because he's offered probably more moments when he has looked a top class fly-half than the other two combined already) would be:

1. Grant
2. Hall
3. Welsh
4. Gray
5. Nakarawa
6. Harley
7. Fusaro
8. Strauss
9. Cusiter
10. Russell
11. VDM
12. Dunbar
13. Bennett
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

However that leaves us with another team which could potentially rumble most other teams in the league:

Reid, MacArthur, Cusack, Swinson, Kellock, Eddie, Holmes, Wilson, Matawalu, Weir, Lamont, Horne, Vernon, Seymour, Murchie

And after that you have: Cross, Low, Kalman, YanuYanutawa, Ryder, Pyrgos, Jackson, Isles, Jones and McGuigan plus a whole load of players aged 18-22 who look pretty promising

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:47 pm

That just goes to show you need a squad to win the league. Edinburgh have tried to play the whole season with 23 players and look where it has got them!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Edinburgh were abject tonight and the players looked like they wanted to be put out of their misery. A fair enough season in the circumstances and exactly what Solomons suggested it would be - some good performances, brain-melting inconsistency in form and a lack of game plan caused by the constant shifting in squad members. I think the comment above that he potentially had forgotten how competitive this league was is probably true.

But next year will be different. Solomons knows what he has to do and he now has a platform to make a team in his own image. The squad size will be shaved by 20-50% in the summer. Solomons will know which guys he plans to build the team around and where he needs supporting players of quality, he will get them from South Africa if they are not available in Scotland.

We can all have a stab at guessing what he will do too. Edinburgh have a lot of mediocre players, some good ones (Ford, Denton, Brown, Hart, Fife, Tonks) but very, very few excellent ones of the kind that you can build the spine of a genuinely competitive team around. I would (taking my life in my hands) suggest that only Du Preez, Scott, Visser and possibly Nel are in that category. That leaves a lot of scouting and team building to do over the summer.

But I have a lot of faith in Solomons. I remember when Ulster was no great shakes as a team and he turned them into granite.

I also think that it is excellent players like Laidlaw have gone south - I am much more interested in seeing Hart develop than another 20 games with the same slow Laidlaw box kick.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 am

GC is right, this was never going to be a one season project and there is no realistic option other than to persist with it for at least another year. To build them up into a really competitive team will take even longer than that.

Long journeys start with small steps though and some have been taken this year, it is easy to forget but Edinburgh were even worst last year. Despite looking like they have badly run out of gas just now, they have at times this year looked competitive and some of the players; Du Preez, Hart, S H-C, Scott, Tonks and Cuthbert look like they have what it takes for club and potentially for country.

There is patently no depth of players though and the ones that have played have been flogged to death and it shows. Players clearly need some rotation throughout a long season to keep them fresh. Toonie was derided for chopping and changing earlier on, but on this one, and many others he has been right as you can see by the way the Warriors are chomping at the bit while teams around them are wilting!

You have got to have a squad to be able to rotate though and although there are many players on Edinburgh's books it is clear that a lot of them are not up to it and are no longer considered part of the squad. A lot of these players needed to go, some of them hopefully will improve their games elsewhere, others need to think about new careers.

It will be a different looking Edinburgh team next year, they won't be world beaters but they will hopefully be more consistent and will be harder to beat than they have been recently. If they can first acheive that then moving onwards, anything is possible.

I still think that they will manage one last decent game next week as well. I don't beleive it will be 50 points Glasgow or anything like it. I will be happy with a Glasgow win, delighted with a four try bonus point and anything else will just be a bonus!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 am

I derided toonies random number selection generator but it does seem to have paid off.

I do think he took it a bit too far at the start of the season though - he rotated his front and back row every week!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I derided toonies random number selection generator but it does seem to have paid off.

I do think he took it a bit too far at the start of the season though - he rotated his front and back row every week!
Nay, nay and thrice nay. The Toonmeister is a genius and we will brook no criticism of him. The Muppetometer is at an all time low, 0.001% since you ask and we all believe brothers and sisters we believe. Until Saturday night, ask me again about eight p.m. Fingers Crossed 

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 am

Let's not forget Glasgow had a poor HK campaign - including two losses to the blues - so perhaps not settling on his strongest team early enough worked against him in that regard?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 am

Jimbo, maybe nearer 9 pm - ko is 7.05 pm  :good luck: We surely don't need that as:

WE ARE GLASGOW - WE FEAR NO-ONE

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I derided toonies random number selection generator but it does seem to have paid off.

Nay, nay and thrice nay. The Toonmeister is a genius and we will brook no criticism of him. The Muppetometer is at an all time low, 0.001% since you ask and we all believe brothers and sisters we believe. Until Saturday night, ask me again about eight p.m. Fingers Crossed 

Hmm. Two individuals never seen in the same room:

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Fozzie10
Someone competent?

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Toonie10
Someone incompetent?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:23 am

On a related note, I am concerned that this is what FES and Maj will look like in 35 years time:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread III - Page 5 Statle10

Or perhaps in just 5 years time if Edinburgh's results don't improve.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:12 pm

What's the only thing that's worse than being a Scotland fan?

Being an Edinburgh and Scotland fan!!!

However

It is still mathematically possible for us to win the 1872 cup
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 am

The Scotsman is claiming Anton Bresler has signed for Edinburgh - the Sharks lock that was discussed on here a while back.

If his shoulder operation won't lead to a recurring problem, this is an excellent signing and is the calibre of player we really should be aiming to sign - I.e. at least 20 super rugby appearances as a minimum.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:33 am

Daily Mail reporting that Jacko is off to Wasps as well. That will be a good move for him and could revitalise him. He is a good player who has never really fulfilled his potential at Glasgow.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 am

That would be a very good move for him. Who are the other Wasp 10s and is he likely to get much gametime?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:That would be a very good move for him.  Who are the other Wasp 10s and is he likely to get much gametime?
Everyone's favourite balding warrior Andy Goode is their current incumbent but I just checked and he's 34 now.

Good move for him - Wasps have a lot going for them and a very good set up.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 am

Of course - Andy 'comb over' Goode!

Well I hope Wasps have another goal kicker in their squad. Goode is a very good, consistent kicker.

Jackson is not.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:10 am

Hopefully that puts to bed the Jackson to Edinburgh school of thought, which I never did think was a good idea anyway. It still does leave them short of a FH though and they really need one.

Bezzy has not really looked like he is the man during the last two games, I would be surprised if he stays. I still think the smart money has got to be on Heathcote, who seems to have been completely frozen out at Bath for now, not even benching and they have just given Henson another year. That all suggests that he is leaving and surely he would have been in the frame for the Wasps spot if he did not have anything else lined up.

Solly did imply that The FH spots were covered for next year when asked about the wisdom of binning off Leonard, Hunter and Francis. I would like to see Tonks and Heathcote vying for the start and maybe give Alex Blair one more chance to make the grade. He looked like a very good player in the Melrose 7's and if he can only stay fit, could yet make the grade.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 am

Anyone know much about Murray Douglas, the Heriots 2nd row and cup winning captain that has been talked up in the press recently?

He looked a good athletic player in the Melrose 7s, but not convinced he's big enough for pro rugby (even with gym work).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Anyone know much about Murray Douglas, the Heriots 2nd row and cup winning captain that has been talked up in the press recently?

He looked a good athletic player in the Melrose 7s, but not convinced he's big enough for pro rugby (even with gym work).

This is his first season at Heriots, was at Aberdeen Grammar before that. A very athletic player but a good size as well. Think he is about 6"5 and just over 17st. Plays 2nd row or blindside.
Was brought into the Edinburgh squad a couple seasons ago when there was injuries. Was on the bench for a couple of rabo games but can't remember if he got on or not.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

Tom English sticking the boot into Solomons a couple of days back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27102716

A bit harsh, but interesting that his record is pretty much the same as Bradley's.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:54 am

Totalflanker wrote:Tom English sticking the boot into Solomons a couple of days back.

A bit harsh, but interesting that his record is pretty much the same as Bradley's.

I'd actually agree with pretty much most of that article. I wasn't a fan of solomons coming to Edinburgh and my opinion of him certainly hasn't changed any at all. Lots of excuses coming from him at the moment blaming other people for the teams recent failings.
Glasgow are heads and shoulders above Edinburgh and will be for the foreseeable future. Glasgow have a good squad, a good club atmosphere and a strong structure to them. Edinburgh have none of that at the moment and see no sign of it changing any time soon.
From being a season ticket holder for Edinburgh a few years back I have really lost interest in them and so have a lot of mates and show more interest in Glasgow now!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am

Totalflanker wrote:Tom English sticking the boot into Solomons a couple of days back.

There is a big difference. Bradley inherited a half decent team albeit one that had probably peaked and was going into decline. He did not recognise that and recruited badly and to late to make any difference. They could really have pushed on from that HC semi final season but did not and they then nose dived into the abyss.

Solomans is in the opposite position of having to take a broken team and build it up again. That was never going to happen in a year and on balance he has probably had as good a season as could be hoped for, with certainly enough high spots to give some encouragement for the future. The recruitment is still not right, but he had little hope of signing any decent players at the time when he came in and was left with a lot of deadwood from the previous regime. If he can manage the squad better and balance up the 'Scottishness' of the team a bit more then he can still make a success of things. He needs at least another year to really see if he can make a difference.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Anyone know much about Murray Douglas, the Heriots 2nd row and cup winning captain that has been talked up in the press recently?

This is his first season at Heriots, was at Aberdeen Grammar before that. A very athletic player but a good size as well. Think he is about 6"5 and just over 17st. Plays 2nd row or blindside.
Was brought into the Edinburgh squad a couple seasons ago when there was injuries. Was on the bench for a couple of rabo games but can't remember if he got on or not.

Sounds similar to Richie 'the specimen' McIvor.

We're going to be a bit light in the 2nd row with VDV, Cox, PJP and possibly McAlpine leaving, so I'd like at least one up and coming Scottish player in there. McAlpine has never really convinced, so maybe this guy is worth a 1 year contract to see how he gets on.

Saying that his partner has just got a job in Australia and the chat is he is likely to be heading off there.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 am

With Gilchrist, Atkins, Bresslaw and the Toolis twins Edinburgh are probably not that badly off in the second row. I imagine they would probably like one more though, probably as an EDP. Did any of the U20's look like they might make the grade?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 am

Yup and to be fair, certainly feel a lot more confident watching a Solomons team than a Bradley team. But there are a few oddities, which don't add up and gives fuel to the Tom English argument.

- conditioning. OK not where it should be but by the same token players need rested and rotated.

- Non rotation could be argued on the basis of inheriting folks he doesn't fancy, but Berghan for 1 is Solomons man and Nel must be feeling it by now.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 am

BigGee wrote:With Gilchrist, Atkins, Bresslaw and the Toolis twins Edinburgh are probably not that badly off in the second row. I imagine they would probably like one more though, probably as an EDP. Did any of the U20's look like they might make the grade?

Not really, and I think we're needing a step above an under 20s player - i.e. a Scottish club player in early to mid 20s who looks like they can make a step up.

The Zebre loss showed that the Toolies brothers (who are EDP) and still too young and raw to be relied upon.  That only really leaves Gilchrist, Atkins and Bresler. Given that Glasgow can call upon Gray, Swinson, Kellock, Ryder and the big Fijian we're some way short of quality there.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am

Big boost for Edinburgh ahead of Saturdays game, everyone's favourite Lion, Ross Ford has added 2 years in to his contract...  Shocked 

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:33 am

I really can't understand the extent of the negativity about Edinburgh.

At the start of the season the goal should have been to challenge for the top 6 and have a decent showing in the Heino.

Given that conditioning and lack of depth have been obvious probems (and not really Solomons doing) it is understandable that the league challenge has dropped off over the last month or so. Remember that in the last 4 games or so you have coughed up points against the Italians and Cardiff that you would expect to beat. This is what should be expected if your team isn't fit enough or can't rotate as much as Glasgow or others.

With recruitment, you have a few guys who haven't made a good enough impact but which Prem 1 players would have been better? It is all fine saying you should be recruiting young Scottish players but who exactly?

The process Solomons has started will take 3 or 4 seasons until there is a successfull team full of Scots with a few imports, similar to what we see at Glasgow. Edinburgh fans (and all Scotland fans) need to be much much more patient if we want both teams to be challenging, rather than giving a coach 1 or 2 years and then punting him if there is no immediate success.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:34 am

GLove39 wrote:Big boost for Edinburgh ahead of Saturdays game, everyone's favourite Lion, Ross Ford has added 2 years in to his contract...  Shocked 

Old news Glove - that was weeks ago! They just mentioned it in passing for his 30th birthday.

I'm sure the ongoing banter thread part 2 has plenty discussion on him re-signing...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

Doh 

Ohhh well. Good news like that is worth mentioning twice!

Last edited by GLove39 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

Weegie Wizard wrote:
With recruitment, you have a few guys who haven't made a good enough impact but which Prem 1 players would have been better? It is all fine saying you should be recruiting young Scottish players but who exactly?

To be fair I think most Edinburgh fans on here are more than aware of that and take it into account when assessing the foreign players he has brought in.

The Edinburgh Facebook brigade on the other hand cannot see this fact.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next