The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cincy Thread

+26
Henman Bill
YvonneT
Calder106
bogbrush
invisiblecoolers
Haddie-nuff
JuliusHMarx
Josiah Maiestas
Johnyjeep
lags72
summerblues
CaledonianCraig
banbrotam
Born Slippy
laverfan
LuvSports!
djlovesyou
TRuffin
Silver
kingraf
whocares
Jahu
yloponom68
HM Murdock
sirfredperry
The Special Juan
30 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Cincy Thread - Page 6 Empty Cincy Thread

Post by The Special Juan Sun 10 Aug 2014, 4:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

I didn't even realise the draw had been made.  Murray's got a decent one until the QFs (can we hope Roger and Jo play a 4 hour epic today?), Isner plays Anderson in the first round.  Either a double bagel over a mentally crushed Anderson or 2/3 tiebreaks.  Djokovic could barely have given himself a better draw.  Dimitrov and Stan are draw magnets!!

Draw is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Western_%26_Southern_Open_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles

or

here: http://assets.usta.com/assets/663/15/Mens_Main_Draw.pdf
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Cincy Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Cincy Thread

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:10 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:Tell me somebody please ... how DID Raonic get to No.7.... did I fall asleep and miss something... picard

Because he is a full time player, going deep on most tournies.

Will make the SF of USO too probably...
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:08 am

I think Raonic is probably suffering from a bit of an injury. He was serving at less than 50% first serves and the first serve speed seemed significantly down. That said, for all the talk of improvements, his game is still extremely limited. One win over a top 10 player this year (and that primarily due to a muggish collapse by Murray) shows where his game is at.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:42 am

bogbrush wrote:This really must be one of the weirdest schedules ever.

With no weather impact there's one semi finished 6 hours ago and the other coming onto Court at 10.30, with the final at 4 tomorrow.

Completely ridiculous scheduling that only happens in America. Everywhere else, if the final is on a Sunday afternoon, BOTH Saturday semis are played in the afternoon. Thankfully, Fed polished off Raonic in next to no time. Ivanovic will suffer, too, in her final due to the Saturday night session. All for TV, presumably.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 12:44 pm

Oh wow, I did not see that one coming. Well done grandad, you've done us all proud.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sun 17 Aug 2014, 1:06 pm

I did expect it to be a bit closer i.e. that Raonic would hold serve a few more times. Possibly as Born Slippy says, he was impaired somehow, or perhaps the disparity between his better showings against Fed in their first matches was more down to hungry youngster with nothing to prove relishing a go at one of the greatest. Now he has more expectations and something to prove and the problem for big servers is that the serve can be the first thing to go under pressure, leaving them not much at all.

Anyway, I'm sure Fed will win tonight - even with the shorter turnaround. Last week's final was different against an inspired opponent who had cut his own path through a tough draw. Same cannot be said of Ferrer this week.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 1:47 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Tell me somebody please ... how DID Raonic get to No.7.... did I fall asleep and miss something... picard

Jahu has I think pretty much covered this already. And I would agree that Raonic has every chance of making the USO semis - to go with the semi he made at Wimbledon (not forgetting a very respectable QF showing at Roland Garros....)

However........ purely in the interests of clarity, worth perhaps reminding ourselves that the ATP rankings system is linked to a mathematical, long-established, and wholly impartial result-based formula determined by points earned and/or dropped in tournaments contested throughout the course of the season.

It's just possible that at some stage in the future the methodology may be amended to take account of individual players who happen to be approved/disapproved of by Haddie-nuff (or by myself ......or indeed by any other forum member....)  - whether for their personalities, on-court dress sense, playing style, volley skills, or all-round entertainment and spectator value. But in all honesty, I can't see such a change to the system being introduced any time soon.

I could be wrong of course .........  Cool

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sun 17 Aug 2014, 2:49 pm

I don't think there was the need there for such heavy sarcasm. lags. It's a fair question - not because he lost fairly easily last night (happens to everyone at some point including Federer, Nadal & Djokovic) but because of his limited game. And yes, we have discussed the answer - he's fairly consistent and hence has taken advantage of some good draws, poor form and injury of others to get there. None of this is to argue with the way the rankings are done, but still I think his ranking is rather flattering to him really.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 17 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm

Raonic has power, and a solid game, and a reasonably good already game, and is often mentally cool. #7 is a long way from #1.

So, I'm thinking we shouldn't think too much about the 15-0. Federer has declined vs his peak level for the most of the 15, while Ferrer doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word.

Federer has reached a stage of his career when he's started having defeats to players he wouldn't normally lose to, even people at the same age who should be declining along with him, e.g Robredo.

Ferrer managed to take a set off him in Canada and he will be super consistent while with Federer, who knows.

I think this is 70/30 in Federer's favour rather than the 100/0 suggested by the head to head.

Rather lucky for Fed that after blowing it last week another reasonably easy (ish) set of opponents for a masters series this week.!

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 17 Aug 2014, 3:09 pm

Yes it was a little too sarcastic lags...it was a fair question. Why...because Raonic has only beaten 1 top10 player all year...guess who? Yep Murray. Yes he's going deep often but only won Washington last week by virtue of not facing anyone ranked higher than 36! And that gave him 500 points, not 250. Has an ATP500 event ever been won more easily? Take Raonic's serve away, which Fed (and most of the top guys) does, and you're left with a top 75 player at best.

Raonic himself said yesterday: "I have to figure out how to step up against the top guys". Nuff said.

Murray still hasn't beaten a top10 player all year which is curious given he is one...plus he hasn't won a title for well over a year now. That's getting to be a serious stat that could harm his ranking of USO is a washout for him.

BTW, today's final is the oldest Masters final pairing in the Open Era...and the only one with over 30s finalists in the Open Era too. Will Roger be the oldest Cincy winner, er no...Agassi was 34 years old in 2004 when he won it.

Last edited by lydian on Sun 17 Aug 2014, 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 3:13 pm

Well fair comment YvonneT, I do understand it would have come across as sarcasm ; but I would also say that this was not my primary intention, and in all honesty it was my own light-hearted way of making a serious point.

This is not just about Raonic. Not for the first time we see a player being derided for achieving a ranking higher than some (perhaps even many...) believe he 'deserves'. But the system is, without question, based purely in merit and I for one would not want it any other way.

I am inclined to agree that Raonic has had some 'favourable' draws just recently. But the seventh place he now occupies was there for the taking by any other player who was keen & motivated enough to move up the rankings. Except .....the many others now below Raonic simply did not perform as well as he has. So ....credit where credit is due I say - however limited, uninspired, robotic, or less than exciting his game might be.

I can remember being surprised myself when the likes of Almagro and Tipsarevic (just random examples that spring to mind...) made it into the Top Ten. But they didn't stay for long, and when all said & done it's about proving consistency over time. And so it will be with Raonic, who will now stand or fall by his future achievements rather than those of the last few months or so.

Same rules for everyone. Nobody forces us to actually watch Raonic, or to sing his praises - or indeed those of any other player. But let's not slag off the guy purely for doing what is asked of him once a tourney gets underway.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 3:36 pm

lydian - interesting that Federer will be (just) behind Agassi as the next oldest Cincy winner IF he completes the job later today. But I hope it's not an omen. After that last of his Masters wins by Andre, he would end his career with just a solitary further title. It was in Los Angeles - a 250 event only, that was removed from the calendar after 2012.

(I read that Rosewall was even older when he won Cincy .....but that was almost half a century ago when tennis, and the world in general, was a whole lot different from today .....)

Meanwhile, hope you can relate (in part at least) to my additional comments re Raonic etc.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 17 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm

Henman Bill wrote:

I think this is 70/30 in Federer's favour rather than the 100/0 suggested by the head to head.

Rather lucky for Fed that after blowing it last week another reasonably easy (ish) set of opponents for a masters series this week.!

By 'lucky' I suppose you mean that nobody else in the respective fields was a) good enough to actually beat Federer or b) good enough to progress and at least give themselves a shot at beating him - ie, other than JWT so far over the course of the two events. Whose fault might that be, I wonder ...... chin 

Agree with your assessment of Ferrer's prospects - he looked in great shape once again last night and the streak will surely come to an end at some point ......  won't it .....??? It just needs Federer to have an off day, and those are undoubtedly becoming more & common, as you say. Hardly surprising  after around 1300 tour matches on the clock........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:15 pm

If Ferrer can't win this, with the huge scheduling advantage, he'll never beat him.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Aug 2014, 7:51 pm

lags72 wrote:Well fair comment YvonneT, I do understand it would have come across as sarcasm ; but I would also say that this was not my primary intention, and in all honesty it was my own light-hearted way of making a serious point.

This is not just about Raonic. Not for the first time we see a player being derided for achieving a ranking higher than some (perhaps even many...) believe he 'deserves'. But the system is, without question, based purely in merit and I for one would not want it any other way.

I am inclined to agree that Raonic has had some 'favourable' draws just recently. But the seventh place he now occupies was there for the taking by any other player who was keen & motivated enough to move up the rankings. Except .....the many others now below Raonic simply did not perform as well as he has. So ....credit where credit is due I say - however limited, uninspired, robotic, or less than exciting his game might be.

I can remember being surprised myself when the likes of Almagro and Tipsarevic (just random examples that spring to mind...) made it into the Top Ten. But they didn't stay for long, and when all said & done it's about proving consistency over time. And so it will be with Raonic, who will now stand or fall by his future achievements rather than those of the last few months or so.

Same rules for everyone. Nobody forces us to actually watch Raonic, or to sing his praises - or indeed those of any other player. But let's not slag off the guy purely for doing what is asked of him once a tourney gets underway.

Whilst I realise that this debate on Raonic was purely because of the comment I made.about his position in the rankings ... his route to the semi finals could not be considered a hard slog.. my opinion is not based on whether I like the look of him lags and frankly I find that insulting.. he was labled as the next Sampras when he came onto the circuit some two three years ago and I have yet to see signs of that... when I think of the stick that Ferrer has received on 606 in the past it totally  irks me to think he was labled as being the man that succeeded in spite of having no talent.. he has proven everyone wrong in that respect.  He has earned his ticket over this last couple of years and no matter how many times he gets beaten by Fed his attitude when he goes on court is maybe this time.  Raonic didnt even look like he felt he could win. Anyone including me could have beaten Foginini the other day when he was in one of his "I cant be bothered to be here modes"
Raonic gifted that match to Federer last night... how ever well you believe that Federer played.. Raonic could hardly return Feds serve... you consider he is worthy of a No.7. ranking... your opinion and you are obviously entitled to it... as for me "come back Berdych all is forgiven" at least with him there are no great expectations.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm

Federer's backhand - the most exploited "weakness" in sport?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:36 pm

two bloody brilliant passes from Ferru there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm

Ah Daveed if you're getting 3 second serves on 3/4 BPs then you need to take advantage. Sad
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm

Come on Fed, spit him like a bad spanish wine  boxing 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm

People who hold up these "peRFect" signs should be ejected from the stadium and beaten with them.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:48 pm

Hahahahha.

TSJ dont be a bitter lemon.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:50 pm

Well the next time Andy's playing I'll go to the stadium and hold up a sign saying "shAMbolic". Other players need in on this too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:54 pm

Fed to lose the set now.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:58 pm

Finally. 1/7 taken...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:05 pm

You'll get bagelled by Daveed!! Bagelled by Daaaaaaaaaveed. You'll get bagelled by Daveed...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:05 pm

Bagel approaching....
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm

1 bagel, equal to at least 5 matches, so 10:0 new score h2h.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm

If Roger gets bagelled by Daveed, I'll believe that life really does reward you if you hang in long enough. This is now a philosophical matter
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:10 pm

Feds ego will be melted like a swiss chocolate. For a day at least.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:12 pm

Ferrer flying.

Hold your serve you *****
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm

Booooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! One does not simply bagel Federer, though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:13 pm

Saved. Stick is better anyway.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:16 pm

Dont waste energey now Fed. Leave it and get ready to serve on third set.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

Sanctimonious Federer fans should look away now... Federer just took a bathroom break having lost a set...

Gamesmanship?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

Match of the year so far.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm

Hmmm. The signs that Federer was getting right back into the match were evident at the tail end of that set. He's still going to win it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm

King, yes how dare he. He had no balls in second set, meaning its suspicious where the fluid got collected?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:25 pm

Fed saves another potential bagel by going up 1:0.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:34 pm

Ferrer should hit more first serves. Match over?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:38 pm

Two more games, hopefully Fed can do it.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:39 pm

omgOAT.

What a shot.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:41 pm

Jahu wrote:omgOAT.

What a shot.
+1

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:41 pm

Maybe I'm seeing things or maybe it's the court speed but Ferrer looks to have lost a bit of acceleration from the last time I saw him...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:41 pm

Ferrer is more sexy then Nadal.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

Again.

Feds new strategy: win a set, sleep, win a match.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm

Reminiscent of the first game of the 2nd set...
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:46 pm

Just serve, just serve, just serve
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:46 pm

bogbrush wrote:If Ferrer can't win this, with the huge scheduling advantage, he'll never beat him.

Not so sure about this. I think Ferrer has 1 win over Federer before they both retire...if not perhaps today then a Federer off day on a slower surface maybe.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:47 pm

Fed is actually sweating these 2 weeks. He is becoming normal as he ages.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

Final of the 2018 Wimbledon Championships....
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 17 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

It's just a poor match up for Dave. Lot like Nadal-veredasco, but I don't think Dave is going to catch Roger on a surface Roger absolutely detests
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next