The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

+20
zaron
Henman Bill
HM Murdock
biugo
Gerry SA
kingraf
TopoftheChops
LuvSports!
laverfan
Jahu
invisiblecoolers
lydian
Silver
Josiah Maiestas
The Special Juan
summerblues
Born Slippy
hawkeye
socal1976
sirfredperry
24 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  Empty US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

Post by sirfredperry Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:02 am

Well, it's all pointing to a Djoko-Fed final. But can Cilic or Nishikori spring a surprise ? Interesting that, after Fed, Cilic has won the most matches this season. Kei has had two exhausting five-setters but has not had to play since Wednesday, which should be a help.
Some interesting thoughts on another post about the improvement in Cilic's serving. He'll need to do well in that area if he wants to win today.
I think I'm going to plump for a Nole-Rog final. Should Fed win today it would the first season since 2009 he's reached more than one GS final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  Empty Re: US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

Post by Guest Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

The second semi won't be played today.

It's gonna rain.

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  Empty Re: US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:08 am

That would be a huge blow to federer or Cilic but the older Federer might feel it the most. Djokovic is got to be liking how the scheduling is working out for. Can't see either Cilic or Kei winning these semis but the chasing pack have made some in roads into the dominance of the top guys.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:09 am

Lets just move along... There's nothing to be seen here lol Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

Cilic will push Fed. Think Fed will edge it in 4 or 5. Cant see Kei being fresh enough to trouble Novak - 3 sets in that one.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

socal1976 wrote:That would be a huge blow to federer or Cilic but the older Federer might feel it the most. Djokovic is got to be liking how the scheduling is working out for. Can't see either Cilic or Kei winning these semis but the chasing pack have made some in roads into the dominance of the top guys.

Yep.. if the second semi has to play consecutive days then I dob't see any hope for them, especially if it's Novak in the final. The fairest thing to do would be to postpone the final till tuesday but I won't be holding my breath.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:19 am

emancipator wrote:
socal1976 wrote:That would be a huge blow to federer or Cilic but the older Federer might feel it the most. Djokovic is got to be liking how the scheduling is working out for. Can't see either Cilic or Kei winning these semis but the chasing pack have made some in roads into the dominance of the top guys.

Yep.. if the second semi has to play consecutive days then I dob't see any hope for them, especially if it's Novak in the final. The fairest thing to do would be to postpone the final till tuesday but I won't be holding my breath.

USO is not known for their fair scheduling tendencies I wouldn't hold my breath either. I just hope that both Men's semis get concluded today. The issue is magnified if it is Novak because he rarely lets you beat him in a five set match without going 3hours and 30 minutes plus over 4 or 5 sets. Kei himself might have little in the tank as he has had back to back 5 setters he has had to fight through.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:35 am

As far as the schedule goes what they might do is stubbornly stick to it as it is but then as rain clouds gather and Novak is busy beating Kei and Federer is taking a nice leisurely lunch somewhere with Mirka and the kids suddenly change their minds. Tell both Roger and Marin they have ten minutes to find their racquets get their kits on because they now have to play on Armstrong.

The crowd on Ashe will immediately start moving to Armstrong causing chaos but this will not be allowed to delay the start of the second semi. The crazy conditions will benefit Marin who will rush to a two sets lead before the crowd settles and Roger realizes where he is and settles the ship. Only for the rain to start.

They would do that though would they....

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:57 am

Just checked the match facts 9 of Djokovic's 13 slam losses dating back to 2010 have been over 3 hours and 30 minutes. Yes if Novak makes the final a rain delay could be very damaging to his opponent.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:10 pm

emancipator wrote:The second semi won't be played today.

It's gonna rain.
I hope this is just your pessimism. I just checked the forecast for today - it does not look so horrible. They have 12+ hours to play two matches, so unless it is steady rain from early afternoon, they should finish today.

But if they do not, then Fed is not winning the title even if he wins his SF.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

I don't think Federer win the title anyway but if he is then he'll need to batter past Cilic as quick as possible. Nishikori will be gubbed so there's going to be little challenge from him against Novak or so you'd think. It's funny - at the start of the year who'd have thought we were going to get consecutive Djokovic/Federer major finals?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:37 pm

Federer's already beat Novak on HC's this year it's not like he can't beat him still. Is the first match really shceduled for 12pm? A little surprising.

If they both don't finish today the final will be a nightmare for the 2nd semi winner.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:41 pm

Nishikori had 3 days to recover you know. He said this is his "favourite slam" so I won't put Novak as the easy winner yet, Kei could've beaten Murray too imo.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:43 pm

socal1976 wrote:the chasing pack have made some in roads into the dominance of the top guys.
It does feel that way this year - with Stan winning the AO, and Dimi and Rao making SFs at Wimbledon.

However, this particular tournament, the chasing pack are yet to beat any of the big guys - Rafa did not show up, Andy only lost to Nole, and Rog and Nole are still here.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm

I am also thinking that Kei may not be as knackered as everyone expects him to be. As you say, he had a two day break. He may well be up for a fight.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

summerblues wrote:
socal1976 wrote:the chasing pack have made some in roads into the dominance of the top guys.
It does feel that way this year - with Stan winning the AO, and Dimi and Rao making SFs at Wimbledon.

However, this particular tournament, the chasing pack are yet to beat any of the big guys - Rafa did not show up, Andy only lost to Nole, and Rog and Nole are still here.

Yes but you do get the sense that there are major chinks in the armor of the 4 guys that have dominated the top of the rankings. Murray will have to fight to get to the year end masters, Nadal again playing half a season, Federer is 33 and Djokovic had really poor first two slams and hard court preparation for the USO. The kei v. Novak matchup is intriguing in that they haven't really played each other before and both have very similar styles. Novak a little more weight on his shots and spin as well as a better second serve. If Kei serves well we have seen Novak get frustrated by players that can match him in movement from the back of the court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:51 pm

Hmm, I expected to the semi-finals to be reversed given that Federer hasn't had a day match yet (?), similar to Toronto and Cincy and the organisers took some stick for it then. Ah well, you play what's put in front of you so no excuses. I reckon Kei will put up a fight and his stamina might not be an issue, but the matchup certainly is. Can't see him beating Novak unless the latter is having an off-day, but you never know at these stages. Kei does take time away from players though, so...

You're back, superb! Very Happy Please do stick around.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:54 pm

Thanks Silver. I think Roger did get a bit of the shaft with the scheduling on this one. But he might like a little more rest after that tough quarter so who knows.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:57 pm

Roger played a day match last Sunday, plus both matches today are day matches.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 06 Sep 2014, 12:59 pm

That's a good point, I don't actually know what time the sun sets over there. I guess it'll start in day, end at night! And yeah he'll probably want the extra rest, to be fair.

Hoping for two competitive matches today Smile

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:01 pm

Socal, I do agree that we can see chinks in the armor this year. After all, even here, even though Roger survived, he almost got taken out by Monfils.

I am expecting to see some real challenge from the chasing pack next year - and by a real challenge I mean maybe somethng like winning a couple of slams.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:03 pm

Silver wrote:Hoping for two competitive matches today Smile
...and I am hoping for a very long and tough win for Nishi followed by a quick one for Fed Smile

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm

summerblues wrote:Socal, I do agree that we can see chinks in the armor this year.  After all, even here, even though Roger survived, he almost got taken out by Monfils.

I am expecting to see some real challenge from the chasing pack next year - and by a real challenge I mean maybe somethng like winning a couple of slams.

It probably won't be one guy winning a couple of slams but I can certainly see 1 or 2 of the slams falling away from the big 4. I think a lot depends on how healthy Rafa is. What is worrying is that he never seems to complete a full season without at least one lengthy injury break. Murray as well hasn't looked right this year and Fed will be another year older. Novak looks like the one that should finish number 1 this year but who knows sports are fickle. Kei, Raonic, Dimitrov, and a couple of others are starting to make their presence felt. Maybe it is time for Berdy to make a move and get one.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:06 pm

I really can't see Cilic having the belief or focus to knock out Federer, but stranger things have happened he does seem to have away of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and against Fed that will be problematic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:16 pm

Kei needs to win in straights, even if he's had 2 days rest the effects of long slam matches are accumulative. Keith is a bit like Davydenko and Djokovic didn't struggle with Nikolai too much...the only match he lost (barring a retirement) was that World Tour finals semi on a final set TB. Agree US scheduling is a law onto itself, all driven by media. Cilic has a chance and needs to keep his wits about him...however he's not a great mover so Feds early ball will have him running all over...3-1 to Fed.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:27 pm

Yeah, I don't know if you recover from back to back five set wars in a couple of days especially after an already grueling season. Who knows what preexisting niggles have been aggravated etc. The intriguing thing here is that Kei and Novak simply don't have a lot of matches between them to be able to put your finger on any dominant patterns. Kei has improved his second serve a great deal and can return as well so I think he is one to watch.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:43 pm

socal1976 wrote:It probably won't be one guy winning a couple of slams but I can certainly see 1 or 2 of the slams falling away from the big 4.
Agree, I meant a couple of slams total - not one guy winning a couple of slams.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:43 pm

hawkeye wrote:Lets just move along... There's nothing to be seen here lol Smile

Now you have taken Wummery to the next level OK

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:46 pm

socal1976 wrote:The intriguing thing here is that Kei and Novak simply don't have a lot of matches between them to be able to put your finger on any dominant patterns.
I was surprised to find out how few matches the two of them played against each other.

Nishi had a solid start to the season, but was then derailed with injury problems.  If he is fit, I think he can make it at least somewhat competitive.  Obviously, Nole still a favorite, but I would not be surprised at all if Nishi took a set, and I would not be altogether shocked even if Nishi won.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:51 pm

I still didn't believe how Kei could fight a second 5 setter and win it against Stan but he did it.

Kei is in excellent hands, Mr. Chang, Chang may not be known for his power game but certainly for his stamina and that can now be seen on Kei, once a injury rotten product now a stable quality competing product.

Kei will be a huge hurdle for Nole to cross and those who think it will be an easy match for Nole   will be in for a surprise, I don't see Kei winning it either but certainly he will pose some problems, if for some reason Nole doesn't bring his A-game on then it could get very interesting.

Cilic - Federer, yes Fed will start the fav but something like FO 2009 flashes onto my mind, Cilic could do a Del Potroish performance and can take Fed to sword one more time.

4 best hardcourters of the season is on the semi's and for me it will be a very competitive interesting , attacking and hardcourt Tennis on display and I will take that.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:53 pm

Yes, IC, I am also looking forward to the SF.  Finally we are seeing some fresher faces too - even though not from the 23 and younger category.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 1:55 pm

summerblues wrote:
socal1976 wrote:The intriguing thing here is that Kei and Novak simply don't have a lot of matches between them to be able to put your finger on any dominant patterns.
I was surprised to find out how few matches the two of them played against each other.

Nishi had a solid start to the season, but was then derailed with injury problems.  If he is fit, I think he can make it at least somewhat competitive.  Obviously, Nole still a favorite, but I would not be surprised at all if Nishi took a set, and I would not be altogether shocked even if Nishi won.

+1 clap

Oh so we still have some members posting on the forum making sense.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 06 Sep 2014, 2:17 pm

Wilander and Edberd interview on Sky.

Sitting together, quite funny.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 2:26 pm

Jahu wrote:Wilander and Edberd interview on Sky.

Sitting together, quite funny.

Friends become foes and foes become friends , I saw your heart warming welcome of somebody back , that was more funny but at the same time appreciate your positive way of life, if you can do it why not those stars.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 06 Sep 2014, 2:53 pm

The way Djokovic took Murray apart in sets 3 and 4, I expect Kei to be done and dusted in straight 1,2,3 irrespective of what rest he has had.

The scheduling is purely driven by CBS and the TV moguls. Crying or Very sad (but they are willing to fund the prize money).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:10 pm

Visiblecoolers, its called Mutiple Personality Disorder, today you fight, tomorrow you have a few drinks with enemies Wink

Life'a too short to live in spite Hug
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:14 pm

Jahu wrote:Visiblecoolers, its called Mutiple Personality Disorder, today you fight, tomorrow you have a few drinks with enemies Wink

Life'a too short to live in spite Hug

Great attitude , and Yes I agree, life is too short to waste on jealousy and vengeance but to have fun the maximum. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm

best shot of the tourney?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK5PB3Xh2Ko&list=UUtVWIZH9VunlhQZHzOyisKQ

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:22 pm

LuvSports! wrote:best shot of the tourney?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK5PB3Xh2Ko&list=UUtVWIZH9VunlhQZHzOyisKQ

I wouldn't say the best shot of the tourney but yes it was a magnificent shot but certainly not something I haven't seen in the past, Rafa, Roger and Pete have done it so many times that it looked so normal for me.

I would rather go for some points which really looked something special in it, but thats just my taste

Monfils shot against Fed did look spectacular for me, not many can do that. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:25 pm

Lemme compile some of Monfils real awesome shots in this tournament

1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pq3c9jO108

Even commentators could control the laughter.

This for me is the shot of the tournament

2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDmMx7ZdVw

Amazing talent and control

Unfortunately I couldn't get a video of that shot in fast motion, it was a real treat and unbelievable sight given Federer's pace at that shot.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:36 pm

Not good graphics on his 2nd shot, but his volley was top notch! I think Kyrgios has that in him but a bit more - he hates to lose as much as Murray/Nadal.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 3:40 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Not good graphics on his 2nd shot, but his volley was top notch! I think Kyrgios has that in him but a bit more - he hates to lose as much as Murray/Nadal.

Nick is the future, exceptional talent with a great mindset, he needs a proper molding coach who will not supress the kids natural instincts but at the same time cover all the weakness.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 06 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

There are only two players left in the draw who don't have a negative H2H against any of their potential future opponants. Federer and Nishikori.

Federer is 18/17 against Djokovic, 5/0 against Cilic and 2/2 against Nishikori

Nishikori is 5/2 against Cilic, 2/2 against Federer and 1/1 against Djokovic

Djokovic is 10/0 against Cilic, 17/18 against Federer and 1/1 against Cilic

Cilic is 0/10 against Djokovic, 0/5 against Federer and 2/5 against Nishikori

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 06 Sep 2014, 4:15 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Lemme compile some of Monfils real awesome shots in this tournament

Do we need to give La Monf his own exho tour to play the Merry X'Mas like http://www.nightrooster.com/nba-players-nail-jingle-bells-shooting-stunt/?

Or give him a skillet (a la Baharami)? I agree with Lydian that he is wasting his talent playing tennis. It is like comparing New York Knicks and Harlem Globetrotters. If he wants to join HG, he can. A pity there is no equivalent of HG in the Tennis world. Will WTT work?

None of his awesome shots give him a title.

Q. You were saying yesterday that you wanted to try to keep your head clear, and I'm quoting you, not give a Poopie. But do you think maybe after the two match points you maybe gave a Poopie, if you will? Maybe he got into your head?

GAEL MONFILS: Not really, because actually, you know, it happens. When you have match point and I had easy forehand, maybe that. But I think was cool. I think he hit two big serves and good forehand volley and then good forehand down the line. I think, you know, I did my best, so it was okay. Then I think, you know, what happened in the fifth is more that during the match I was focused like from the first point to the fifth, and then sort of I have a little drop. Because I will say not really used to do this. Sometimes, as I told to you, to keep my emotion is fatigue me a little bit. It's tough to handle it. And then it's a matter of five minutes. You know, I think I was down five minutes. Roger just jump on me. He could easy. I don't know, maybe be relax for those first two games and then maybe it would be another story. Those two games came like so quick, and then, you know, it's tough.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2014-09-04/201409051409936457908.html

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 4:45 pm

Awesome reply by Gael, which is what I have been trying to put forward from yesterday.

This guy has improved a lot and showed a lot of commitment, some were so harsh to him for losing yesterday, he is not the old Monfils, he gave it 100%, it was very tough for him to miss those 2 great opportunities to close out the match, he was emotionally drained after that and Fed realied that and snatched the momentum away from him before he could understand what went wrong.

If Fed wouldn't have done it he wouldn't be a champion, Monfils will get better when he puts himself in such positions again, which I am very hopeful.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 5:06 pm

Fingers Crossed Nishi

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 5:10 pm

The punters are virtually giving no chance to Nishikori

8 odds to win the match and 5 odds to win the set, I would have taken it if I had some money left in my account.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 06 Sep 2014, 5:25 pm

Cool.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 5:26 pm

Wow I wish I should have taken the odds against Nishkori for winning the first set. picard

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 06 Sep 2014, 5:28 pm

Hmm thankfully I didn't bet Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next