The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 6N lookahead

+54
A Simply Mesmeric Try
cp10
The Saint
AB1990
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
justified sinner
teh_Dingmeister
Rugby Fan
EST
bsando
maestegmafia
Gwlad
Welly
lostinwales
Prothero
beshocked
bluestonevedder
RuggerRadge2611
bedfordwelsh
demosthenes
jimbopip
highland_scot
SecretFly
IanBru
The Bachelor
malky1963
Majestic83
blackcanelion
GLove39
Geordie
whocares
reallybored
alive555
Captain_Sensible
LordDowlais
MacKnocked-on
SirBurger
thebandwagonsociety
nickj
Nematode
R!skysports
JonnyEdinburgh
EWT Spoons
Dorothy_Mantooth
Anglobraveheart
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
tigertattie
TJ
BigGee
George Carlin
RDW
58 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 8 Empty Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by RDW Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 8 LogoScotland 6N lookahead - Page 8 Vern_c10

Fixtures

07/02 France V Scotland - 17:00
15/02 Scotland V Wales - 15:00

28/02 Scotland V Italy - 14:30

14/03 England V Scotland - 17:00
21/03 Scotland V Ireland - 14:30

6N standings last 10 years

2014 - 5th, 1 win
2013 - 3rd, 2 wins
2012 - 6th, 0 wins
2011 - 5th, 1 win
2010 - 5th, 1 win
2009 - 5th, 1 win
2008 - 5th, 1 win
2007 - 6th, 1 win
2006 - 3rd, 3 wins
2005 - 5th, 1 win

Squad

FORWARDS: Hugh Blake Erm (Edinburgh Rugby), Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Cowan, Geoff Cross (both London Irish), David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby), Jim Hamilton (Saracens), Rob Harley, Euan Murray, Gordon Reid (all Glasgow Warriors), Alasdair Strokosch Shocked (Perpignan), Ben Toolis, Hamish Watson (both Edinburgh Rugby), Jon Welsh (Glasgow Warriors).

BACKS: Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar, (Glasgow Warriors) Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg, Peter Horne (both Glasgow Warriors) Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester), Sean Lamont, Sean Maitland, Henry Pyrgos, Finn Russell (all Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Tonks, Tim Visser (both Edinburgh Rugby).

Unavailable through injury: Adam Ashe (neck), Chris Fusaro (ankle), Grant Gilchrist (arm), Tyrone Holmes (face), Ruaridh Jackson (knee), Duncan Taylor (hamstring), Duncan Weir (arm).

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 20 Jan 2015, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland 6N lookahead - Page 8 Empty Re: Scotland 6N lookahead

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Nothing wrong with Ashe's workrate, he just isn't very effective in the work he does.

You and I were obviously watching very different games over the AIs.

funnyExiledScot wrote:To suggest he's the finished product as an international player is absurd.

By all means, point me to where I suggested this.

funnyExiledScot wrote:He invariably gets knocked backwards or stopped on the gainline.

Well, we disagree here. Also, Ally Hogg is exactly the same weight as Ashe, so he offers no improvement in the power stakes.

funnyExiledScot wrote:1. "If he hadn't been injured, he'd have been in the match-day squad for Glasgow, a top-level Pro12 team, over the autumn and winter."

A rather odd point to make in his favour don't you think?? He's still to complete half a season of pro rugby in his life, and you think it helps his case to point out that he's missed the last couple of months because of injury, and throw in an assumption along with it that he would have played had he been fit!!

I'm not suggesting he gets picked for Scotland if he isn't fit. What I am saying is that, if fit, he should be picked ahead of Hogg because before he was injury he was being picked frequently for Glasgow, so there's nothing to suggest that wouldn't have continued in the months since the AIs.

funnyExiledScot wrote:2. "Hogg is a talented player, obviously, but he plays for a team that has only been saved from AP relegation over the last two seasons by Worcester and the excrescence that is London Welsh."

Does it really matter who Hogg plays for, or shall we not just focus on how well he's playing??

Don't you think that the team a player plays for is, more often than not, an indication of that player's quality? Especially at this stage of Hogg's career.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:36 pm

Majestic83 wrote:I'd have to disagree, I don't think Ashe is up to international standard just yet. He doesn't have the power an international no8 needs. He did carry the ball a lot against Argentina and the All Blacks but he got knocked back fairly easily and driven at least a metre in most of the contacts. He does have good ball skills and is definitely one for the future but not currently I would say.
Beattie is playing well for Castres at the moment. They have a rotation policy which is why he isn't getting picked week in week out but the games he has played he has been praised in the French media.

In regards to Hogg he is bigger than Armiatge and Faletau and is off similar size to Heaslip. He is at the top of the stats from Back rowers in the Aviva for most of the areas and is currently 3rd for tackles made overall in the premiership and in the top 5 for carries and metres gained aswell so think he definitely offers Scotland something. On form he is playing better than Denton at the moment against tougher opposition.

This is the key thing. I really don't want to "do down" once of our bright young prospects, I think he'll go on to be a fine player, but in a World Cup year you have to pick players on what they are, not what they could be.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:I'd have to disagree, I don't think Ashe is up to international standard just yet. He doesn't have the power an international no8 needs. He did carry the ball a lot against Argentina and the All Blacks but he got knocked back fairly easily and driven at least a metre in most of the contacts. He does have good ball skills and is definitely one for the future but not currently I would say.
Beattie is playing well for Castres at the moment. They have a rotation policy which is why he isn't getting picked week in week out but the games he has played he has been praised in the French media.

In regards to Hogg he is bigger than Armiatge and Faletau and is off similar size to Heaslip. He is at the top of the stats from Back rowers in the Aviva for most of the areas and is currently 3rd for tackles made overall in the premiership and in the top 5 for carries and metres gained aswell so think he definitely offers Scotland something. On form he is playing better than Denton at the moment against tougher opposition.

This is the key thing. I really don't want to "do down" once of our bright young prospects, I think he'll go on to be a fine player, but in a World Cup year you have to pick players on what they are, not what they could be.

Some could say Hogg in a neglected player who should have played for Scotland a lot more than he has. However the fact remains that he is player who despite his abilities is playing for a second rate AP team.

I distinctly remember being told by the soap dodgers that Edinburgh being so poor have no real claim to Scotland squad places since they are all so poor. In addition all the other home nations pour freezing cold water over the suggestion of Scottish lions due to our international team being so poor.

Almost no consideration is given to individual players playing well in bad teams.

I'm interested to know what makes posters in this thread think Hogg will all of a sudden buck this trend?

Denton and Beattie are front runners and if Solomons is sensible in the least he can bring along Kelly Brown and John Barclay to cover all across the backrows (a dedicated 6 and 7 who could play at 8 if needed).

With Ford on fine carrying form, Gray Jr and Gray Sr in the mix it's not as if we are short of ball carriers up front.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:45 pm

CS - we're going to have to agree to disagree, as we appear to have completely the opposite view on Ali Hogg vs Adam Ashe!

The last point you made is an interesting one though. I must say that I don't believe that Hogg playing for Newcastle vs Ashe playing for Glasgow is an indication of the quality of the player, I really don't. I think it's perfectly possible, and is often the case, that you have better players at inferior clubs. Edinburgh vs Glasgow is clearly an example. I think most would agree that Glasgow is the better team at present, and yet there are a number of Edinburgh players better than their Glasgow counterparts (Ford, Dickinson and Scott certainly).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 14 Jan 2015, 3:46 pm

With regards to Ashe/Hogg etc., I don't think either of them should be in the team if we are going on the assumption that now is not the time to experiment.  

Ashe is still young and learning his trade.  I personally thought he did very well in the AIs but I take on board his current limitations.  

With regards to Hogg, he's playing well in the Aviva, but he hasn't played at international level for  5 years. Bringing him in now would be like trying out a new player, which the common consensus is not something we want to do.  Yes he’s done well in the past and racked up 50 caps, but he’s not been in any squad over the last while to try him out, or to integrate him into the side again.  I think he should have been given a shot, but we can’t say the time for experimenting is over and then suggest an experiment to see if Hogg can still cut it at International level (not saying he can’t, but we can’t say for sure)

Therefore the only logical options are Denton & Beattie, in my opinion.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 14 Jan 2015, 4:10 pm

Terrible but not entirely unexpected news regarding Ross Rennie. 

A hell of a player and one of the best opensides in the world when fit and firing. 

All the best to him.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 14 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:With regards to Ashe/Hogg etc., I don't think either of them should be in the team if we are going on the assumption that now is not the time to experiment.  

Ashe is still young and learning his trade.  I personally thought he did very well in the AIs but I take on board his current limitations.  

With regards to Hogg, he's playing well in the Aviva, but he hasn't played at international level for  5 years. Bringing him in now would be like trying out a new player, which the common consensus is not something we want to do.  Yes he’s done well in the past and racked up 50 caps, but he’s not been in any squad over the last while to try him out, or to integrate him into the side again.  I think he should have been given a shot, but we can’t say the time for experimenting is over and then suggest an experiment to see if Hogg can still cut it at International level (not saying he can’t, but we can’t say for sure)

Therefore the only logical options are Denton & Beattie, in my opinion.

While I agree with yours (and may peoples) opinion on bringing in Hogg as a 'new' player or Ashe as a young player - what I really can not fathom is why there is such a love in for Beattie?

I think he has had one good season for Scotland as part of the Killer B's but has flattered to deceive ever since. A few flashes but nothing major

he is imo one that is being picked on 'what his potential could be' more than any other player I know

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 14 Jan 2015, 4:29 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

To be honest Denton is the only sensible pick as an alternative to Ashe at the moment. Hogg clearly has been playing well however the amount of time in the international wilderness will damage his chances. See England re Nick Easter.

Does anyone have Denton's comparable stats? I know he was injured for a while, but even looking on a game on game bases, I'd bet my left nut that Hogg makes more tackles, makes more metres and importantly, passes the ball, more times than one direction Denton.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 14 Jan 2015, 4:44 pm

A real shame regarding Ross Rennie. From a Scotland perspective, he was one of the few genuinely world class players that we have produced during the professional era. He would have been right up there with the likes of Pocock and Warburton had his fitness permitted.

Regarding the No8 slot for the 6N, I am in the Hogg camp. All of our options have flaws: Ashe, although hugely willing and committed, is still under powered; Denton is coming into some form, but has been out for a while and is still slightly one dimensional; Beattie is a very skilled footballer however he drifts in and out of games.

Hogg is not getting any younger and has been out in the wilderness for a while, but he has been an ever present at Newcastle and has put in some really excellent performances of late. He is certainly one of the top performing 8's in the AP this season. If you are looking at current form, I cant see any reason why you would not choose him.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:13 pm

Gutted to hear about Rennie. What a cracking wee player. Tough as teak. I always hoped we might see him in this and then the RWC squad. I hope his neurological issues aren't serious and / or permanent.

I am loath to enter such a 'heated' debate, particularly after not commenting for a while, but I'm slightly confused as to where the call for Ali Hogg has come from?

I don't think we are short at 8. Our in form and currently fit number 8's are Beattie and Denton. I don't think that will change between now and the World Cup bar injuries.

Having said that I think Josh Strauss is a shoe-in for one of two number 8 spaces in the RWC squad once he's qualified, so its a shoot out between Dents and Beattie for the remaining shirt. I just hope we've seen the last of Beattie and Denton at 6.

Ashe is currently unfit, so he's not going to make the 6 nations squad which makes it even less likely he will make the RWC squad. Rightly or wrongly I don't think Hogg is even in the picture.

By the way does anyone else think Hines or Hamilton have a shout of making the squad? I'm not convinced Swinson is international class and beyond Toolis do we have any other options?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:16 pm

I should have added 'as back up to the Brothers Gray'...

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:26 pm

nickj wrote: I am loath to enter such a 'heated' debate, particularly after not commenting for a while, but I'm slightly confused as to where the call for Ali Hogg has come from?

I don't think we are short at 8. Our in form and currently fit number 8's are Beattie and Denton. I don't think that will change between now and the World Cup bar injuries.

Having said that I think Josh Strauss is a shoe-in for one of two number 8 spaces in the RWC squad once he's qualified, so its a shoot out between Dents and Beattie for the remaining shirt. I just hope we've seen the last of Beattie and Denton at 6.

I'm interested to hear why you think Hogg wouldn't be in with a shout?  What is he doing wrong in comparison to Beattie and Denton?  Aside from not having been in the squad for a while, I cant see any reason to exclude him from consideration.  He's a professional player, playing regularly against a high level of competition and consistently putting in good performances.  The AP stats show that he is currently one of the form 8's in that competition.  I think it would be remiss of Scotland not to consider his selection.

Last edited by EST on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:30 pm

nickj wrote:By the way does anyone else think Hines or Hamilton have a shout of making the squad? I'm not convinced Swinson is international class and beyond Toolis do we have any other options?

Hamilton has been warming up recently at Sarries so may well be in with a shout. He's a very different prospect to Swinson, who is a complete workhorse but on the shorter side for an international lock.

I would personally go with Gray x2, Gilchrist and Swinson, but I haven't seen much of Hines and I whilst I like the thuggish side of Hamilton's game, I'm less fond of the penalties/yellow cards. Toolis has been great this season, but I think it's tricky to throw him into the mix for the World Cup without some action in the 6 Nations (although people seem fine for Nel and Strauss to do so I guess), and I think Gray and Gray will hog the action personally.

All that and I never even mentioned Al Kellock.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:54 pm

EST wrote:
nickj wrote: I am loath to enter such a 'heated' debate, particularly after not commenting for a while, but I'm slightly confused as to where the call for Ali Hogg has come from?

I'm interested to hear why you think Hogg wouldn't be in with a shout?  What is he doing wrong in comparison to Beattie and Denton?  Aside from not having been in the squad for a while, I cant see any reason to exclude him from consideration.  He's a professional player, playing regularly against a high level of competition and consistently putting in good performances.  The AP stats show that he is currently one of the form 8's in that competition.  I think it would be remiss of Scotland not to consider his selection.

As I said, rightly or wrongly, I just don't think he will be on Cotter's radar. Personally I think Cotter will have Beattie, Denton, Wilson and Ashe ahead of him. I'm also convinced Strauss is viewed as a shoe-in once qualified, so I don't the regime will bother bringing Hogg back in for the 6 nations at the age of 32.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 14 Jan 2015, 5:55 pm

I think you are probably right, Nick. It certainly looks like his ship has sailed, which I think is a real shame. The bloke has nigh on 50 caps, he is a quality player and streets ahead of Wilson, for example.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 14 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

Hines is a great player but his day is done. Rarely have I see such a big man with such good hands

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 15 Jan 2015, 12:24 am

OK pour moi, ce soir je pense que...

1. Dickinson (Grant)
2. Ford (Brown)
3. Murray (Cusack)
4. J Gray (Toolis)
5. R Gray
6. Brown
7. Cowan (Barclay)
8. Beattie
9. Laidlaw (Pyrgos)
10. Russell
11. Seymour
12. Scott
13. Dunbar (Bennett)
14. Maitland
15. Hogg (Tonks)

Of course, once Strauss qualifies, we can have him in all three back-row positions, freeing up space for a nine-man backline. Maybe then I'd pick Visser... Wink
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:59 am

Sorry, I'm sure this is mentioned elsewhere, but I just wanted to say how sad it is to read that Ross Rennie has retired from rugby because of a neural issue.

When he broke onto the international scene, I thought he was an outstanding openside, and looked forward to seeing him in a Lions shirt. It's a great shame his career didn't take off.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/injury-forces-scotland-s-ross-rennie-to-retire-1-3661409

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 8:28 am

Looks like I've missed a fairly heated debated about Hogg/Ashe - given that I can't be hooped reading it all, anyone able to sum up for me??

Rugby fan - it has been discussed earlier in the thread, but you make some good sentiments. I think a fit and on form Rennie would have thrived in the last Lions tour, and indeed the next one to New Zealand, but he can be added to a fairly long list of Scottish players who have had to retire way before their time:

Tom Phillip
Simon Taylor
Tom Evans
Jo Ansbro
Ross Rennie
Dan Parks (joke!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:05 am

I ask again, but why are people automatically including Beattie as a given

I have see very little to imply he is a sure thing - and in fact, I believe Hogg is out playing him at the moment

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:08 am

Riskysports wrote:I ask again, but why are people automatically including Beattie as a given

I have see very little to imply he is a sure thing - and in fact, I believe Hogg is out playing him at the moment

I agree with this too. He's played well for Scotland in the killer B's campaign. Since then, zippo.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:35 am

nickj wrote:Our in form and currently fit number 8's are Beattie and Denton.

Beattie is barely playing each week over in France so I don't get how you can say he is in form!

Hogg on the other hand is playing week in week out and is one of the top three tacklers in the AP and top five for metres made!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 15 Jan 2015, 10:07 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Looks like I've missed a fairly heated debated about Hogg/Ashe - given that I can't be hooped reading it all, anyone able to sum up for me??

I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and Matt Scott should play 12. thumbsup

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 10:20 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Looks like I've missed a fairly heated debated about Hogg/Ashe - given that I can't be hooped reading it all, anyone able to sum up for me??

I'm right, everyone else is wrong

There's a first time for everything!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 15 Jan 2015, 10:22 am

I'll try and surmise this in an impartial and respectful way:
1 Ashe is a weedy foetus who is unable to open a bag of crisps at international level.
2 Hogg is a geriatric playing for a sh!tey sh!tey sh!tey squadron of losers.
3 Strauss is the best.
4 Cotter may still be listening to Rab C on selection.
5 We are all suspicious that Denton may revert to type if playing against people who are actually some good at rugby.
6 Strauss is the best.
7 Brown is the most likely to elbow his way back in - either at 6 if Harley does not return in time or at 8 if we aren't convinced by any other option.
8 Nobody knows if Beattie is alive or dead.
9 Strauss is the best.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:05 am

10 Whatever happens, and whoever is picked, we need players picked in their best positions
11 'Frampton Comes Alive' was actually a pretty good album
12 Strauss is the best
13 A good young player in a great team will inevitably look worse than a good old player in a crappy team.
14 A willingness to watch and enjoy Little Women is critical to any successful relationship
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:07 am

15 Vern Cotter is a big scary bastard, so whatever he decides you really should be fine with it!
16 This is the 6N, so we're probably only going to beat Italy anyway so this is all academic really.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:14 am

17. As Hogg has never played for Glasgow he's not allowed to be considered for a squad spot
18. Fish and chips should only be eaten with salt and sauce. Using vinigar is just english!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:18 am

19 Soap is overrated

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

20 - even if we do beat someone else, it will only be a 'moral victory' because the weather / referee / aliens / solar flares are the reason we lost
22 - I can't count properly

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:32 am

23. Three wins in the 6N's would be a triumph for us
24. Winning the World Cup is just so overrated.
21. Ah there you are.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:41 am

25. We are dark horses for the World Cup.
26. The squad is turning a corner.
27. Players from Ayr are generally better than Richie McCaw.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:43 am

28 - it's really windy today so there's no work happening on site, can we make it to 100?
29 - probably not.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:47 am

Just an idle question but has there ever been a recorded incident where Denton has actually thrown a pass?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:51 am

30. is after 29

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 15 Jan 2015, 11:51 am

funnyExiledScot wrote: 27. Players from Ayr are generally better than Richie McCaw at playing within the laws and spirit of the game.
Fixed that for you.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 15 Jan 2015, 12:02 pm

31. New Zealand tagged Scotland on at the end of their autumn tour so the players could experience having to put out a weakened side against rubbish opposition after they had beaten some good teams and still maintain enough focus to win. This was to prepare them for the "tricky underdogs in the semi-final scenario."
32. We will get New Zealand in the semi-final and hump them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

lostinwales wrote:Just an idle question but has there ever been a recorded incident where Denton has actually thrown a pass?

He definitely did! He actually passed on the lead up to a try this year, but I can't remember which game. Tried all the Pro 12 highlights but can't find it!

I was as shocked as anyone...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 12:22 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Just an idle question but has there ever been a recorded incident where Denton has actually thrown a pass?

He definitely did! He actually passed on the lead up to a try this year, but I can't remember which game.  Tried all the Pro 12 highlights but can't find it!

I was as shocked as anyone...

I found it!

Skip to 1:12:50 and you will see Denton, in open space, actually pass the ball. A few phases later we scored!

I'm fairly sure that's the only time this season he's passed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNBJRhPGFb0

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by teh_Dingmeister Thu 15 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

Can anyone link me to a site that has detailed stats of the players (tackles, carries, metres made etc.) rather than the usual guff of tries scored as it's not really applicable to forwards. Would also be helpful if you could compare it to other players in the league, would be interesting to see how the Scottish players hold up against the rest.

So far I have faith in Vern Cotter and provided he's not being influenced by that bluff Aussie hackjob I am optimistic of Scotland putting in one of their best performances in the modern 6 nations. I saw the Newcastle game last weekend and whilst the opposition was only London Welsh Hogg was impressive, carrying and linking well and stealing a fair amount of ball both from rips and at the breakdown. Given the injuries for the current backrow it would be great to see some of Scotland's isolated players brought back in but I suppose we'll have to wait for the squad announcement to find out.

I know Maitland hasn't scored a try in yonks but he is a complete rugby player and was integral in setting up some of the tries in the autumn tests. Visser's record speaks for itself and again we'll have to see how big Vern goes hopefully without the poisonous fat bluffer having any say in selection.

On a different note does anyone know how former London Scottish player and U20s Scotland captain Tommy Spinks is doing at Glasgow? I don't think he's made an appearance for the 1st team yet but he might have played some A matches are whatever the equivalent is. Anyway stay positive lads, until the squad comes out when we can all start whinging in earnest again.

teh_Dingmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:04 pm

teh_Dingmeister wrote:Can anyone link me to a site that has detailed stats of the players (tackles, carries, metres made etc.) rather than the usual guff of tries scored as it's not really applicable to forwards. Would also be helpful if you could compare it to other players in the league, would be interesting to see how the Scottish players hold up against the rest.

ESPN is good for detailed stats, and the league website will probably some up too.

You'll have to do the comparison work yourself though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:43 pm

33. There will be one person playing out of position

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:49 pm

34. I'm going to spend a lot of money watching Scotland play over the coming months, with very little return expected.
35. I will once again mutter the phrase "why do we keep coming back and putting ourselves through this every year??" As I cry into my £4.50 bottle of warm cat urine and dry my eyes with my £40 ticket, having just spent £5.50 on a burger which has less meat in it than Glasgow has vegetables.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

36. Hope will be raised, even after telling myself not to let myself believe - only to be dashed on the rocks of despair
37. There will be a prawn bagel selling concession to cater for the lovies from the East

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:55 pm

38. ASBO will rise from the ashes and unmask himself as the slightly off white spectre

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jan 2015, 1:59 pm

39. The Finn Russell 'shuffle' will become a global dance craze, with Murrayfield standing in unison and doing it whenever he scores.
40.  Vern Cotter will publicly express his displeasure at his players dancing during a game
41.  The IRB will grant special permission for Russell to put on his 'Beats' headphone before tacking kicks.
42.  He'll still miss them.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

43. Dave Denton once passed the ball
44. There are more UK winners of the euro millions than confirmed Dave Denton passes!
45. Matt Scott is actually a 12
46. Ally Hogg has scored more internation tries than any current scotland sqaud members other than the legend that is Slong
47. RDW gets tickets fro £40??? Where does he get these discounted briefs?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Other predictions:

48. FES will be asked to try chips. He will only do so if a white gloved footman shaves Perigord black truffle all over them first and if we promise not to mention it to anyone at the Stockbridge Pétanque Club.

49. Maj will have his entire Scots rugby knowledge copied and given to Vern Cotter as a new app on his IPhone. Scotland's results instantly improve.

50. IanBru's testicles have become so famous that they obtain independent agent representation and a guest slot on several late night talk shows. Sadly, Ian wakes up one morning to two black spaces at his groin and note pinned to the sheets saying "We don't need you".

51. GLove admits that he secretly has dark brown hair but had hidden it from the world to date in order not to lose his USP.

52. Schiz will return to the forum and get permanently banned in the first week for drawing the Prophet Scott Johnson. He will then go on to lead the Scottish National Party to a stirring election victory.

53. JonnyEdinburgh will finally admit that he is Jonny Gray.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 15 Jan 2015, 2:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:35. , having just spent £5.50 on a burger which has less meat in it than Glasgow has vegetables.
Glasgow always have a full quota of front row players!

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 15 Jan 2015, 3:14 pm

54. Scotland are still the reigning Five Nations Champions
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down