The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

+49
BamBam
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
Jenifer McLadyboy
sensisball
Heuer27
demosthenes
madmaccas
luvtotup
Anglobraveheart
CraigS1874
SirBurger
21st Century Schizoid Man
highland_scot
nickj
Scottish White Line Fever
cakeordeath
IrnBroon
JonnyEdinburgh
Totalflanker
VinceWLB
Second Ranker
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
A Simply Mesmeric Try
justified sinner
cp10
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
GLove39
R!skysports
tigertattie
BigGee
WhiskyBluff
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
53 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 13 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 13 Moreca10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 13 Gryffi10   

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 13 Slythe10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:58 pm

There is a massive difference between international quality props and mere mortals. Apparently Iain Milne was famous for going easy and not killing opponents in the club game back in the day.

I once talked to someone at my club, many years ago, who had once propped against Graham Price, the famous Welsh prop, who for some reason was playing at a slightly lower level than usual.

This guy quite fancied himself and nutted him as they went down. bad mistake, after the next scrum, he woke up lying on the touchline and did not get back on the park.

Mere mortals and all that, they are a different breed!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:49 pm

100% agree with BigGee.
A good few years back, my club side played Berwick in the league and cup quite frequently. They had a young whippersnapper in their backrow who had played U18 rugby for Scotland. His name was Craig Smith and he went on to win a truck loads of caps as a prop. Anyway, he played number 8 in those days and after an early scrum that they won, he picked the ball up at which time I (playing wing forward) thought "right, here is a mere kid, I will show him who's boss around the fringes of the scrum". One prolonged break to allow the physio to treat me later I was just about able to carry on. He was a chuffing beast.
I also played against Finlay Calder (clang,clang - name dropping like a good 'un). It was like trying to tackle a snooker table. He didn't seem particularly big but he was just incredibly strong.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:35 pm

A few seasons ago I was playing an away game at Clacton (whit a dunny, to use the demotic) and after the game I was having a pint with the ref. I mentioned that he was young for a ref and demonstrably fitter than most of the players that afternoon. He said he wasn't long de-mobbed from the Royal Navy and had played rugby for his ship (a large aircraft carrier whose name escapes me ). His playing days came to an abrupt end when they played an exhibition fund raiser in Auckland against a local select. The Navy lads were well ahead at half time, which since they were playing a side comprised of local students was not too surprising. In true kiwi style the organisers brought on a number of Auckland Blues after the break. Everything was going well for my ref friend until Auckland got a scrum and the number 8 picked up whereupon my reffing friend as openside flanker launched himself at him. The next thing he knew it was the following day and he was waking up in hospital. It seems Josh Kronfield had come on at 6 and stepping in to block the tackler was an automatic reflex for him. He suffered quite a serious concussion and was advised not to play again.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Well I played in a charity fundraiser against a legends select XV and the first thing I had to do in the game was tackle John Petrie.

It didn't go well.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh
clap clap For trying.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:49 pm

I honestly think we all under-estimate what the top players have to go through in contact situations.  I stood next to Simon Taylor before an Edinbuyrgh pre-season game at the time he was a Scotland regular and he was just enormous.
RDW - I remember reading somewhere yonks ago that one of the Glasgow coaches said that John Petrie had the most impressive physique he had seen (that actually looks like quite a gay statement in print form, doesn't it - I'm sure he didn't mean it that way). The scary thing is that Petrie was probably holding back when he rag-doll'ed you!!

Last edited by InjuredYetAgain on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typing fingers not working in coordination with the brain)

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:A few seasons ago I was playing an away game at Clacton (whit a dunny, to use the demotic)

Ah Clacton, I have had many an enjoyable game there, going back to when I started playing colts rugby at 14 years old. At Harwich & Dovercourt it was our local derby game, played on Boxing day, though fixtures were eventually suspended due to there over enthusiastic nature!

More famous these days for painting over Banksy murals and electing UKIP MP's. As a matter of interest Carswell's father was an eminent Scottish doctor who did a lot of work in Africa and was involved in the isolation of the HIV virus. I heard as well that the James McAvoy character in the 'Last King of Scotland' was based on him. Not surprisingly he was not shouting his support for that idiot Farage in his tirade about HIV patients in the debate the other day. Even a UKIP MP may have some redeeming features!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:04 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:I honestly think we all under-estimate what the top players have to go through in contact situations.  I stood next to Simon Taylor before an Edinbuyrgh pre-season game at the time he was a Scotland regular and he was just enormous.
RDW - I remember reading somewhere yonks ago that one of the Glasgow coaches said that John Petrie had the most impressive physique he had seen (that actually looks like quite a gay statement in print form, doesn't it - I'm sure he didn't mean it that way). The scary thing is that Petrie was probably holding back when he rag-doll'ed you!!

I think he was 37 at the time but was just enormous - his legs were absolute tree trunks. I went low hoping to be a speed bump but didn't manage to hold on - I'm not sure he noticed I was there....

Worth saying Duncan Hodge also played that game - he was a class above everyone! Although his drop kicks at goal were awful, which was hilarious given he was Scotlands kicking coach at the time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 am

I played in a 10's vets tournament last year. The opposition included a combined Irish and Welsh legends and a Southern Hemisphere legends. Luckily we faced the Irish/Welsh in the first game and they were still hungover from the night before. We didn't have that luck in the Southern Hemisphere legends game. I think the final score was 96 - 5.

The gap between professional sports people and even high quality amateurs is huge. If you go to youtube and search for "Uncle Drew" it's a series of videos where a professional basketball player disguises himself as an old man and goes to public courts to play.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:53 pm

Was going to post this on a new thread, but can't be arsed. Quite an interesting read
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/conor-oshea-raheem-sterling-situation-shows-football-has-lost-the-run-of-itself-but-rugby-following-the-same-path-31118778.html

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Good effort from the Edinburgh forwards today but has WP Nel improved or reduced his chances of getting in the WC squad? He is great round the park but surely a TH's role is to scrummage and then, if he has anything left, he can fanny about the park.  That said, there aren't many options but Geoff Cross not even getting on the LI bench and Ewan Murray knocking on a bit and not playing on Sundays

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Byron McGuigan scored for Exeter having started at FB. WTF?!

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:57 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Good effort from the Edinburgh forwards today but has WP Nel improved or reduced his chances of getting in the WC squad? He is great round the park but surely a TH's role is to scrummage and then, if he has anything left, he can fanny about the park.  That said, there aren't many options but Geoff Cross not even getting on the LI bench and Ewan Murray knocking on a bit and not playing on Sundays

Did you watch the scrummage at around the 68th mark, Nel literally broke Court in half. Nel is better than anything Scotland has at tighthead.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Nel's scrummaging has also been dominant in pretty much every game this season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Also, if we're going to play Maitland on the wing we're gonna need someone to score some tries!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:08 pm

You are right, Vince, he probably is the best that we have but it is his consistency that worries me. Yes, Court was boring in in most scrums and we got a right good nudge in a few other scrums but (and I will bow to David Flatman's knowledge) this seemed to be down to Ali Dickinson handing the LI TH his own backside on a plate.
Did we not elect for a line-out after one squint LI throw in?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:11 pm

Nels scrummaging has improved in recent seasons. He was hit or miss at every scrum in his first season, serviceable last, and actually pretty decent now.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:13 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:You are right, Vince, he probably is the best that we have but it is his consistency that worries me. Yes, Court was boring in in most scrums and we got a right good nudge in a few other scrums but (and I will bow to David Flatman's knowledge) this seemed to be down to Ali Dickinson handing the LI TH his own backside on a plate.
Did we not elect for a line-out after one squint LI throw in?

Yes Dickinson has been a monster but power from the tighthead comes first and this allow the loosehead to really attack the opposing tighthead. Not having to play the full 80 minute in every game has certainly helped Nely too.
We did opt for a lineout after a squint throw at the beginning of the 2nd half, thought that was the beginning of the mental implosion!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:14 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Nel's scrummaging has also been dominant in pretty much every game this season.

RDW you're completely right there. Nel gets pinged for opposition looseheads boring in, not binding, etc. He's generally a very good scrummager and good about the loose.

Anyone else bet him for first try today at 25 to 1.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:14 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Byron McGuigan scored for Exeter having started at FB. WTF?!

He's been playing really well for Exeter at full back and getting a lot of game time. Scored a few tries as well since he moved there.

After hogg there isn't clear understudy at full back for scotland, McGuigan can't be too far off the top of the pecking order.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:40 am

Majestic83 wrote:
InjuredYetAgain wrote:Byron McGuigan scored for Exeter having started at FB. WTF?!

He's been playing really well for Exeter at full back and getting a lot of game time. Scored a few tries as well since he moved there.

After hogg there isn't clear understudy at full back for scotland, McGuigan can't be too far off the top of the pecking order.

I suspect if either of the other 2 FH options, Weir and Jackson, were fit then Tonks would be covering FB. I still think it is his best position. Maitland clearly feels it is his as well and is moving clubs to play there.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:03 am

No doubt for me that Nel is going to be a big asset for the Scotland team, both in open play and as a scrummager. There were a couple of occasions yesterday when Edinburgh got a shove on and other refs might have awarded them a penalty.
I read a couple of weeks ago in Scotland on Sunday that Iain Morrison having a go at Nel, saying he doesn't look committed to playing for Edinburgh never mind Scotland, have to disagree with Morrison there personally.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 am

BigGee wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:

I suspect if either of the other 2 FH options, Weir and Jackson, were fit then Tonks would be covering FB. I still think it is his best position. Maitland clearly feels it is his as well and is moving clubs to play there.

On form though I would put McGuigan right up there. Been very impressed with the way he comes in to the line at speed and attacks. Been solid under the high ball as well and has a massive boot on him. Looks far better and more comfortable at full back than when he played centre/wing at Glasgow. He's taken quite a lot of stick on here but I've been impressed by his performances and also his attitude which seems to have matured a lot.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 am

Maj - do you have any inside knowledge of the worrying noises come out about how badly Edinburgh is being run behind the scenes?

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/edinburgh-players-revolt-over-unfair-sacking-1-3738787

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:03 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Maj - do you have any inside knowledge of the worrying noises come out about how badly Edinburgh is being run behind the scenes?

http://m.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/edinburgh-players-revolt-over-unfair-sacking-1-3738787

Not too much, my mate who was doing the media side of things left at the start of the season and one of my team mates was one of the strength and conditioning coaches but left mid season.
Neither of them had many good things to say about the top brass at Murrayfield but said that the coaching/medics/physios and players were all a good bunch and quite a tight knit group.
The players that I know haven't said much about it, I did notice that one of my friends put the article up on her facebook with a comment along the lines "finally its out how horrible a man he is" so think there is quite a bit of history with David Davies and various people in and around Edinburgh rugby.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Maj - do you have any inside knowledge of the worrying noises come out about how badly Edinburgh is being run behind the scenes?

What really annoys me is how 2 clubs both run by the same union can be so far apart in the way they are run.
Glasgow have a great set up, run very well and have made big strides in becoming a proper rugby club getting involved in the community and having a good spirit about them etc.
Where as a lot of the stuff going on at Edinburgh is still a shambles and being run so poorly. The playing side is getting better but off the field Edinburgh is still a mile behind Glasgow on so many levels.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:09 am

Very worrying indeed.

Can't help when it comes to contract renewal time either.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by luvtotup Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:41 am

Don't think Glasgow are totally without their problems. There have to be questions asked about the quality of departures compared to ( lack of) signings. Not at all sure Shades departure was GTs decision and losing DTH was criminal. There have also been staff changes that have raised eyebrows- particularly Fergus Wallace. The SRU want an iron grip over the two clubs and it seems to be their way or the highway so to speak . To top it all we still have Scott Johnston at the heart of Scottish Rugby and, imho, that proves that the SRU itself need to shed some dead wood.

luvtotup

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm

It's great to see Will Helu score a couple of tries against Les Toulonnais on Sunday - looks like a real quality signing.

D'you know why it's great?

Go on... guess....

Spoiler:
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Bru, are you greeting your new colleagues each morning with a cheery , "Will Helu" ?
As English is , almost, a second language on Tyneside I'm sure they'll smile and wave while telling you to, "Ave yirsell a san pellygreeeno pretty lad."

Great results for Scottish rugby this weekend. If the ladyboys insist on resting their best players for the Heino (or whatever it's called this week) then they may rule themselves out of the play offs. If they then make the final they may put out an under 12's side against the Luvvies in the last week of the season thereby giving the Brumeister a 50/50 chance of keeping his stones. Surely the Luvvies can beat the Dragons at home and make the diddy-cup final!!

After squeaking past the Not-Nots, Samwise, Watson, Nel and Dickinson should all be in the WC squad.
Samwise, Henners Piecrust and Cooseater should be the three 9's. We do not need Frodo for his kicking; Samwise, Messiah or Dancer can do that. Nor do we pick a player just for "leadership". What a ridiculous concept. Wouldn't be tolerated at Scotstoun.
Watson looked a much better 7 than Cowan, although I'm not sure that says a lot as I'm not that convinced by the hairy one.
Tonks, while a decent club player, doesn't look like an international player. If Meatball and Rhuaridh are fit he's struggling with Hornee to be fourth choice 10. If Maitland is fit then he's fighting with Hornee and Murchie to be third choice 15.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Was just looking through the Edinburgh website at the team list and noticed Ewan McQuillin the young tight head from Gala now at Melrose wasn't there. Was he released by Edinburgh at the end of last season? I obviously missed it so not sure if RDW or FES or someone else knows.
Find it a bit strange if he was as he won the McPhail scholarship to go to NZ last summer and seemed quite promising in his appearances for Edinburgh.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 pm

Haven't heard anything about it, but he was sent on the McPhail scholarship so is obviously thought of.

Maybe just hasn't got a fulltime contract yet..

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Pretty sure he's been let go. Was listed on the website until about New Year then vanished. Also haven't seen him about Murrayfield on matchday for a while, he always used to be about, but not for some time.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 pm

I see Simon Berghan has had his contract extended, obviously hasn't figured much at all so far, think he's had injury problems, but the coaches must rate him. Edinburgh can obviously do with some backup for Nel as John Andress hasn't been brilliant.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Good move to keep Berghan - he's young still and SQ, plus it's only a 1 year deal.

Also, Andress isn't very good.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 pm

I wouldn't be all too surprised if Edinburgh retained the 1872 cup next year the way things are going.

With Munster and Ulster getting some high profile signings, not to mention Sexton returning to Leinster, and Glasgow losing some key players, I fear this season might be the peak of Glasgow's success.

Edinburgh, meanwhile, seem to have a decent, solid team that might not be the flashiest but are effective. Also Helu and the No. 8 they signed seem decent additions. FH is a little light, as is 9 (anyone know how Fowels (?) got on vs Irish) but other than that they seem to have a decent set-up.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:31 pm

He didn't get on - Sam H-C played the full 80

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:41 pm

I hope Solly does not flog SHC to death in the back end of the season. Now that Hart is off, he seems to have been dropped like a hot potato, which is what he normally does once he knows someone is leaving. It would be good to see what Fowles is like if there is any chance of him staying and SHC can't play every minute of every game. Hopefully the SRU won't let him, even if he wants to.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Problem is he's become such an invaluable player for Edinburgh, and every game now is basically a cup final.

Given how good his goal kicking is, and how crap everyone else's is, I think he's going to be playing a lot.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Problem is he's become such an invaluable player for Edinburgh, and every game now is basically a cup final.

Given how good his goal kicking is, and how crap everyone else's is, I think he's going to be playing a lot.

Its a fine line between a lot and to much. I guess there is an Italian game in there to get the chance of a rest and as I said, hopefully the SRU will have a say in it. I don't think he would rest him otherwise!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:20 pm

If Edinburgh finish 7th, make it to the Euro final and to the playoff final (could happen) there are 8 consecutive games coming up - he's certainly going to have to rotate the squad.

The likes of Cornel du preez coming back from injury will help in that regard, but some of our 2nd choice options aren't the best.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Just rumours mind, but ive heard that Mcquillans attitude isnt there, and as such hes beeing let go at the end of the season.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:03 pm

And I guess therein lies a potential problem. We can all spraff away on here saying so-and-so must play, the coach is an idiot because he doesn't etc., but we don't know what happens on a day to day basis at training (unless you are RDW, Maj or IBD), who has an attitude problem, who is late for training or just plain can't be arsed.
Henson was a fantastic player but I imagine someone that could disrupt a changing room and players like that should be moved on. I may be doing them a massive disservice (in which case I apologise) but I could see Nikki Walker and Nick De Luca falling into this category

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 pm

Hamish Watson - on other threads folk are saying he is too small. A certain Mr McCaw - IMO the best back row in the world. 1m88 108 kgs Watson 1m85 98 kgs. Is Watson really too small for international rugby? at 23 he will get a bit more muscle yet will he not?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:42 am

Well if Fusaro can play for Scotland...

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:18 am

Fusaro is definitely too small.

Watson is bloody strong and makes up for it in sheer athleticism and dynamism.

He's probably a similar size to Michael Hooper.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:23 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Fusaro is definitely too small.

Watson is bloody strong and makes up for it in sheer athleticism and dynamism.

He's probably a similar size to Michael Hooper.

Watson looks a good deal faster than Fusaro which makes a big difference.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:33 am

Onto the subject of playing with/against pro players.

Trained with Rob Dewey about 7 or 8 years ago. He played maybe half a season with us at Kirkcaldy.

I was turned into roadkill at just about every collision I had with him (and I'm not exactly a light fellow).

He might have been mince as far as skills are concerned but it's easy to see why some of the bigger units like Dewey, Morrison and Danielli look so impressive at local club level.

They can move at some skelp and seem to break amateur tackles at will. It's when they come up against similar level pros that they look a bit mince.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:37 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote: I may be doing them a massive disservice (in which case I apologise) but I could see Nikki Walker and Nick De Luca falling into this category

From what I've heard De Luca was quiet and relatively shy. Denton on the other hand...

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:50 am

madmaccas wrote:
InjuredYetAgain wrote: I may be doing them a massive disservice (in which case I apologise) but I could see Nikki Walker and Nick De Luca falling into this category

From what I've heard De Luca was quiet and relatively shy. Denton on the other hand...

He's definitely a bit of a show pony but is starting to grow into a leadership role well at the club.

I remember in the Scarlets game there was a driving maul with Watson at the back. H-C was asking for the ball but Watson didn't give it to him and kept it in the maul.

Anyway the ref blew the whistle and H-C started to have a go at Watson - Denton took bother under each arm, towering over them, and had a quiet word with them to tell them to get on with the game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next