The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad

+57
Fanster
IanBru
kilo-doug
Anglobraveheart
Tattie Scones RRN
MMaaxx
LondonTiger
alexgmacdonald
Captain_Sensible
reallybored
bsando
madmaccas
beshocked
Manky-Flanker
hugehandoff
cp10
nickj
BamBam
Nematode
offload
Big
TJ
LordDowlais
fa0019
highland_scot
SecretFly
jimbopip
sportform
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
MacKnocked-on
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
21st Century Schizoid Man
Mad for Chelsea
RubyGuby
Redrage
Imperialbigdave
cakeordeath
alive555
GLove39
sensisball
EWT Spoons
Scottish White Line Fever
Gwlad
kiakahaaotearoa
George Carlin
RDW
Majestic83
Heuer27
Scottish Shaun
Notch
R!skysports
Steffan
tigertattie
61 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Empty Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad

Post by 123456789 Sun 22 Mar 2015, 3:19 am

First topic message reminder :

A. WORLD CUP WARM-UP MATCHES:

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Irelan10        Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10
15 August 2015:Ireland v Scotland, Dublin.

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Italy_10     Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10
22 August 2015:  Italy v Scotland, Turin.

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10     Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Italy_10
29 August 2015:  Scotland v Italy, Edinburgh

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 France10       Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10
05 September 2015: France v Scotland, Paris

B. WORLD CUP POOL MATCHES

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10      Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Japan10
23 September 2015:  Scotland V Japan, Kingsholm - Gloucester.

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10     Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Mini_u10
27 September 2015:  Scotland v USA, Elland Road - Leeds.

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10           Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Spring10
03 October 2015:  Scotland v South Africa, St James Park - Newcastle.

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Scot_f10       Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Samoa_10
10 October 2015:  Scotland v Samoa, St James Park - Newcastle.

C. EXTENDED SCOTLAND SQUAD
Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Vern_c10
- FORWARDS (25) -

Prop (7):
Mike Cusack (Glasgow Warriors) – Uncapped
Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 44 caps; 4 RWC appearances (2007 and 2011)
Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors) – 22 caps
Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – Uncapped
Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons) – 4 caps

Hooker (3):
Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 8 caps
Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 85 caps; 8 RWC appearances (2007 and 2011)
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – Uncapped

Second-row (6):
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 8 caps
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
Richie Gray (Castres) – 44 caps
Jim Hamilton (Saracens) – 61 caps; 6 RWC appearances (2007 and 2011)
Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 15 caps
Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps

Back-row (9):
Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors) – 5 caps
John Barclay (Scarlets) – 43 caps; 4 RWC appearances (2007 and 2011)
Hugh Blake (Glasgow Warriors) – Uncapped
Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 11 caps
David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) – 25 caps
Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – Uncapped
Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan) – 44 caps; 3 RWC appearances (2011)
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap

- BACKS (21) -

Scrum-half (4):
Chris Cusiter (Sale Sharks) – 70 caps; 6 RWC appearances (2007 and 2011)
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps
Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester) – 39 caps
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps

Stand-off (3):
Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps) – 25 caps; 3 RWC appearances (2011)
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps

Centre (6):
Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 14 caps
Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 7 caps
Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby) – 25 caps
Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 12 caps
Richie Vernon (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps; 3 RWC appearances (2011)

Back-three (8):
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh Rugby) – Uncapped
Rory Hughes (Glasgow Warriors) – Uncapped
Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) – 93 caps; 8 RWC appearances (2007 and 2011)
Sean Maitland (London Irish) – 15 caps
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby) – 4 caps
Tim Visser (Harlequins) – 18 caps

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad

Post by jimbopip Fri 22 May 2015, 8:16 pm

BigGee wrote:The championship playoff is really in the balance and you would have to say slightly favours Worcester now.

There are Scottish benefits whatever the result, with either Eadie/Traynor or Grove/Heathcote getting some AP game time to show us what they can offer. I follow Bristol a bit as my daughter is at university there and I have a passing interest. Eadie has been playing well all season and has pushed himself into the starting lineup, no mean feat considering some of the imports they have had. Still it is a little bit hard to see him as a genuine international class 8 though but also hard to see him very high on Englands radar either. I am sure he would get a look at an A cap if that opportunity comes along next year.

Rob Harley's fall from grace seems to have gone largely uncommented on though. He is not even getting into the Glasgow game squad at the moment, after being an ever present for the past few years and this cannot be doing his WC chances any good at all and I would have said that he was nailed on 6 months ago.

Dare I say it, but could he be someone as well who could do with a bit of reinvention and a chance of scenery at the end of this contract. He is going to have an interesting choice to make next year!

I think you're being a little premature there, Gee.
I'm not sure Harley has fallen from grace so much as is totally knackered. He has, as you say, been ever present for a long period. He has looked jaded and in need of a rest for a month or so now. Unfortunately for him he gets his rest just as Ashe and Wilson get their mojos back.
Meatball was quoted the other day saying that Glasgow have the best squad in the pro 12 and finishing top with the horrendous injury list they have had would seem to bear him out. One downside to this, for a player, is that when you are out of the side it must be very difficult to get back in. I would be shocked if Glasgow let Harley go. He is, strangely enough, reminiscent of Dan Parks: he is utterly brilliant at what he does but people criticise him for not doing something else. If you want to base your game plan around a dynamic ball carrying 6 then Rob Harley is probably not your man. However, if you want a tackle monster who will stop the opposition on the gain line over and over again then look no further.
Also, Harley seems to me to belong to the Kellock/Jedi Glasgow through and through faction. However, he also seems educated and literate in the way young Toonie was and so might decide to broaden his cultural horizons. He would be a big loss.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad

Post by jimbopip Fri 22 May 2015, 8:23 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Looshead - Dickinson, Reid, Grant, Sutherland
Hooker - Ford, Brown, McInally, McArthur
Tighthead - Nel, Cross, Welsh, Cusak, Low
Lock - Gray, Gray, Toolis, Hamilton, Swinson, Gilchrist, McKenzie
6/8 - Harley, Denton, Ashe, Strauss, Wilson, Brown
7 - Watson, Cowan, Barclay, Fusaro

9 - Hidalgo-Clyne, Laidlaw, Pyrgos, Cusiter
10 - Russell, Weir, Jackson
12/13 - Scott, Horne, Bennett, Taylor, Vernon
11/14 - Seymour, Visser, Maitland, Fife, Lamont
15 - Hogg, Tonks, Murchie
Wasn't actually that difficult - centre is still a worrying position though. I've assumed Dunbar will be crocked.

There are far too many locks and backrows in there, but was running out of players!

Just in the backs I have highlighted the players who are ; injured, out of form, not getting enough game time to be anywhere near ready for top class Test rugby. (I should have put Frodo in there and extended it to "pedestrian and unimaginative") Please don't try to tell me Fife is showing international form!
This leaves us;
10. Dancer
12/13 Horne Vernon
11/14 Seymour
15. Hogg
The cupboard is bare, indeed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 May 2015, 8:30 pm

I'm not saying we are in a good positon backs wise, just that it wasn't overly difficult to pick a squad of 50.

Fife has been good for Edinburgh, but hasn't looked at home for Scotland.

Or, to put it another way, he's done a 'Pete Horne'!

Visser looked back to his best against Leinster - he even put in some decent tackles ( Shocked ).

If he'd looked that interested all season we would have a much better opinion of him than we currently do.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 22 May 2015, 8:35 pm

I am generally in favour of all players moving about a bit, I think it can benefit them and Scottish rugby, as long as we only have two teams, it is almost a necessity.

Don't get me wrong, Harley is one of my favourite players and has been one of the rocks on which the Glasgow team has been built over the past few years. That does not mean though that another team and another coach might not use him a bit differently and get something else out of him that Toonie and Glasgow can't

One player teams are becoming more of a rarity in the modern game, even Kellock strictly speaking was not that and it more often means that the players are not really good enough or ambitious enough to move. Jedi may well have been a very different player is he had gone off and sampled the waters somewhere else earlier in his career, you could say his career has been somewhat unfulfilled at Glasgow, albeit that he still gives 100% every time he gets the chance to play for them, it just that those chances don't come along very often!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 22 May 2015, 8:46 pm

You are right there Gee. Jedi reminds me very much of Richard Mooney ( who I think is managing Cambridge Utd) he captained Liverpool reserves when their firsts were winning everything. Lots of top sides enquired after him but he loved Liverpool and said his role in the club was teaching youngsters the Liverpool way and preparing them for the first team. Jedi may feel very fulfilled at Glasgow, Harley may feel that his wider education requires a move. Let's hope he doesn't move before he has won something with Glasgow.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 22 May 2015, 9:51 pm

I still think Harley could learn more at Glasgow. Playing around people like Naka and Strauss can only be good for developing his game.

Harley and Gray are the heart of that Glasgow pack, the rocks upon which the defence is built. Toonie has exceeded expectations as a coach, and he'll surely know that those two, plus Russell, Bennett and Hogg in the backs, are the core of this Glasgow team for years to come.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 22 May 2015, 9:58 pm

Come over to the dark side Fes, the force is getting stronger in you.
You'll love it ; round pies, Tunnocks Tea Cakes and all the tattooed ladies you can eat.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 May 2015, 10:49 pm

I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but Harley would probably be more suited to Edinburgh's style of play!

Run

Sorry

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 22 May 2015, 10:54 pm

Taylor is starting for Saracens at outside centre this weekend. If he plays well then he could well become an option for Scotland in the RWC.

Brown in contrast is not even in the 23. Hamilton on the bench.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 23 May 2015, 1:42 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but Harley would probably be more suited to Edinburgh's style of play!

Run

Sorry

Sorry GLove, but I don't think my eyes could cope with Harley on one flank and Grant on the other!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 23 May 2015, 1:44 am

beshocked wrote:Taylor is starting for Saracens at outside centre this weekend. If he plays well then he could well become an option for Scotland in the RWC.

Brown in contrast is not even in the 23. Hamilton on the bench.

In my view Taylor should certainly make the World Cup squad. I would have Dunbar, Scott and Bennett ahead of him, but Taylor would go as my 4th centre, with Horne going as 3rd choice 10 (but cover at 12 also).

Taylor would work well outside Scott and Horne in particular.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue 26 May 2015, 1:28 am

Bit of a slow afternoon at work today. Thought I would list the 31 man squad I would pick at the moment now that most clubs have completed their matches for the season.
Props 5
Ali Dickinson
Gordon Reid
WP Nel
Geoff Cross
Jon Welsh

Hookers 3
R Ford
F Brown
S McInally

Locks 4
J Gray
R Gray
B Toolis
G Gilchrist

BR 5
J Barclay
B Cowan
A Ashe
J Strauss
K Brown

SH 3
S Hidalgo-Clyne
C Cusiter
G Laidlaw

10 2
F Russell
D Weir

Centres 4
P Horne
M Bennett
R Vernon
M Scott

Wings/FB 5
S Maitland
T Seymour
T Visser
S Lamont
S Hogg

Would take 5 props on the basis that most of Scotlands games have a week between each match. If there are any injuries it should hopefully be time for recovery and if not its not far to send a replacement. Gordon Reid gets the nod over Grant who's form has been poor.
Hooker pretty much picks itself, no one is still really laying down a big challenge to Ross Ford, Brown and McInally are the best of the bunch and do look promising. Both also have the added value of being able to play back row.
Locks
The 2 Grays and Toolis are pretty easy picks. Gilchrist probably would be if he hadn't been injured most of the season. Hopefully he plays the warm up games and gets back to fitness. If not Hamilton may get the nod.
Back row is a tough pick as lots of good options. Barclay has been in outstanding form for Scarlets playing 7 & 8. He can also play 6. Blair Cowan has been in good form for LI at 7, did look tired towards end of the season but hopefully a break over the next few weeks will bring him back to life.
Adam Ashe is getting better all the time. Seems to have improved his power since the autumn tests and now looks ready for international rugby. Josh Strauss is a big game player, can play 6 or 8 and is a leader. Kelly Brown gets the final spot, playing well for Sarries but has had a few niggly injuries. Covers the whole back row and again has leadership and experience.
Scrum halfs fairly easy to pick, Scott Steele is probably the unlucky one to miss out.
Not too many on form options at 10 after Finn Russell, would take Weir over Tonks due to more experience at 10.
Centres was possibly the trickiest area to pick. Despite Dunbar being out its not the end of the world as others playing well and coming into very good form. Horne is playing well at 12, looking better in defence and linking well with Russell. Vernon again is playing well and can create something from nothing. Bennett is probably Scotlands most potent threat when fit which he should be within the next month or so. Matt Scott gets the last spot just over Duncan Taylor, close call and could be tempted to put Taylor in ahead of him. Scott has had a lot of injuries and his form has been suspect when he has played. Needs to play probably at least 2 of the warm up matches if not more to get match sharpness.
Wings and full back are fairly easy, Seymour, Hogg and Maitland are automatics. Visser hasn't been in great form but again is often a big game player and has still scored a few decent tries this season. The last spot is close between Fife and Lamont but lamont gets it as even though he isn't the quickest he does cause teams problems with his ball carrying. Could be useful on the bench covering wing and centre.

My strongest starting XV and subs would be
1 Dickinson 2 Ford 3 Nel 4 Gray 5 Gray 6 Strauss 7 Barclay 8 Ashe 9 SHC 10 Russell 11 Seymour 12 Horne 13 Bennett 14 Maitland 15 Hogg
Subs
16 McInally 17 Reid 18 Welsh 19 Toolis 20 Brown 21 Laidlaw 22 Vernon 23 Visser

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 26 May 2015, 3:18 am

Good squad that won't be a million miles away. I would suggest a few tweaks though:

1. Props. Still got issues with GC who struggles to make the team for LI, who are not exactly seen as a strong scrimmaging side. Murray retiring could just open the door for Mike Cussack, who has played well in the two Ulster games. If he gets into the extended squad and stays injury free, then he is definitely a bolter. Agree about Reid over Grant, though both will probably be in the extended training squad and will probably get some game time in the warm ups to decide who goes.

2. Back row. I can't imagine Dents won't be in, unless he is injured. He has had a couple of concussions now and I am sure he has been given an extended rest to get ready for the WC. Bearing in mind all that has gone on with Barclay and Brown, I cannot see either of them going either and they may not even make the extended squad. Harley would have been a shoe in a while back, but he now needs to get his form back and quick, maybe he will get his chance next weekend. Don't rule out Ryan Wilson either, who has come back very strongly. I suspect the lack of game opportunities will count against him though. If we are going to take two opensides though, they will surely take Watson over Barclay. Yes he can play across the backrow, but we have lots of better options at 6 & 8. Watson really can be an impact player and should be considered very carefully.

3. Scrum halves. Henry is really playing well for Glasgow again, now he is injury free and I think he will pip Cusiter for the third spot. Both will probably make the extended squad but I think Cus is going to struggle to add to his tally now unless we have an injury. I don't think we will go for a complete bolter like Scott Steele, though he is definitelt one to keep an eye on for the future.

4. Fly Half. Duncan Weir has a lot to do to book his place. I suspect that Jackson will also come back into the extended squad, assuming he is fit now and will play off against Weir for the second spot. They also have Horne who will be able to cover as well, so I don't see Tonks or Heathcote making it at all.

5. Centre. It is not completely without hope that Dunbar makes it back. Schalk Brits was back playing within 6 months, it is possible but not certain. RV has definitely put his name into the hat and I suspect both will make the extended squad. Taylor is playing well though, currently in the Sarries first team and his experience may just tip the scales.

Pretty much everything else I agree with and I think we will have a pretty settled squad with not that many surprises.

Last edited by BigGee on Tue 26 May 2015, 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 May 2015, 3:45 am

I think there's a higher chance of me playing for Scotland than both Barclay and Brown being picked!

Just watched the sarries game - Taylor did look very good which is pleasing giving our lack of depth there.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 26 May 2015, 3:53 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm sure I'll get shot down for this, but Harley would probably be more suited to Edinburgh's style of play!

Run

Sorry

Sorry GLove, but I don't think my eyes could cope with Harley on one flank and Grant on the other!!

Nonsense, as a matter of fact I'd go one further and recruit Paul Tito for the second row. Then insist that all our games are reffed by Damien Lewis' long lost brother Andrew McMenemy

Scotland World Cup look ahead and squad  - Page 7 9691113_0

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 26 May 2015, 11:06 pm

Good article from Scotland's new backs coach on the Beeb. I'm pleased that he has noticed that Scotland needs to work on their offloads - annoys the hell out of me when we throw pointless offloads that mess everything up. A bad offload messes up an attack just as much as a good offload breaks open a defence!

It is a shame he isn't coming until after the WC - looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Carving out a professional rugby career around the disruption and discipline of four daily insulin injections fostered a meticulous streak in Jason O'Halloran he likes to call his "perfectionist gene".

Diagnosed with diabetes at 21, the slight midfielder learned to plan his meals and listen to his body.

He had to think faster, read the game better than his bigger, stronger rivals; All Blacks like Eroni Clarke and Frank Bunce. He became established as an astute, dependable cog in a Wellington Hurricanes backline that sparkled with the talents of Jonah Lomu, Tana Umaga and Christian Cullen.

"I had to be a bit better at picking up early cues around how they were going to defend or attack to give myself a head start," he says.

"I always saw myself as an advocate for those guys - my job was to provide them with quality ball so they could do their thing. What I really appreciate in rugby is selflessness; you need to build that by having a good time off the field too."

Rugby took him from New Zealand's capital to Japan, overcoming the death of his mother to win a solitary All Blacks cap, before he dipped his toe into the turbulent waters of coaching.

Opting not to dive headlong into a top role, he served a shrewd apprenticeship under Dave Rennie and Chris Boyd, two leading lights of Super Rugby, and former Ulster boss Mark Anscombe, with the Manawatu Turbos and New Zealand Under-20s, gathering knowledge and insight from each.

"It's that perfectionist gene," he says. "I wasn't keen to jump in at a level where I was going to be learning on the job and be a mediocre coach at (provincial) ITM Cup level. I wanted to be in the top third of that group."

The cash-strapped Turbos were, O'Halloran admits, a "massive salvage job"; a squad assembled and cultivated the hard way, with no marquee stars and a strong reliance on local talent.

After four years nurturing the region's academy players, producing a handful of All Blacks, his perfectionist gene was satiated and he was ready to plough his own furrow.

He took over from Rennie as head coach and, in 2014, with an intelligent, incisive brand of rugby, secured Manawatu's first title for over three decades with Scotland supremo Vern Cotter's brother Jeremy, his trusted lieutenant.

O'Halloran recently knocked back two offers to join Super Rugby coaching set-ups, but when Cotter Snr came calling, he decided the chance to work with an international backline was too good to pass up.

"I see a lot of similarities between Scotland and the challenge I took on when I first came to Manawatu," begins O'Halloran, who moves to Murrayfield as backs coach in November after the Rugby World Cup.

"And there are a lot of comparisons I can make with the cattle you guys have got and what I've got. The underdog tag is one I quite enjoy, but at the same time, if we get Scotland to where we want to get to, we're going to have to get comfortable with that favourites tag. We've got to snap out of that."

His analysis on the players he soon inherits has begun, spooling through footage of the Scots' Six Nations Championship whitewash.

"I'm really excited by the group of talent you've got there," he says. "Stuart Hogg was one of the leading players in the Six Nations in terms of attack stats, line breaks, defenders beaten, offloads, metres made; he's an outstanding talent.

"Likewise, I think Mark Bennett's an outstanding talent, he's really good on his feet, always looking to attack.

"I like the look of Dougie Fife on the wing. Although Finn Russell's got some rough edges, I like his intent in attack and he uses those blindside wingers and inside channels pretty well."

It may not require astounding tactical genius to identify freneticism as detrimental to Scotland's efforts to cross the whitewash, but O'Halloran has a plan to refine his new recruits.

"What I'd like to do is add a little more composure to the group once they get in behind the opposition," he says. "Throughout the games I watched, there were times where Scotland were really dominant but didn't get any points."

Wallaby Joe Roff, scoring here against Scotland in 2004, was a major influence on O'Halloran
O'Halloran favours a co-ordinated but holistic approach to the game, influenced by Australian stalwarts Joe Roff and Toutai Kefu he worked with in Japan, and thrives on strong bonds with his playing group, tuning in to what makes them tick. His expertise is likely to prove invaluable to the development of Scottish rugby's flagship regional academies and schools set-up.

"The Australians opened my eyes to a different style of footie; I think we're quite insular in New Zealand and we think our way's the only way," he says. "But, when I was talking to them, I thought, if I can amalgamate some of that with what we do in New Zealand, I can come up with a reasonably exciting style of footie.

"We need to work on accuracy - offloading is a really important weapon, but inaccurate offloads kill you. My team in the ITM Cup last year had the fewest offloads in the competition but the most line breaks.

"Being selective with our offloads is going to be key - that's probably where Scotland do let the pressure valve off the opposition. They throw a couple of dusty offloads and enable opposition to escape."

It is most intriguing to hear O'Halloran talk of the pitfalls of "endless drills" - perhaps a trait of past Scottish teams has been a rigid adherence to flagging game-plans, backline play without freedom that represents sheer sacrilege in the Kiwi heartlands.

"We need to give them as much game-relative training rather than doing everything via drills," he says.

"I think more game awareness stuff at training would be really good for Scottish guys so they're making more decisions in training rather than running through drills endlessly. That's how I look to develop my players; they certainly have more fun and they're competing more regularly.
"I guess I'm making a few assumptions based on what I'm seeing in games."

Engineering Scotland's attack has long proved an onerous task, but an hour in O'Halloran's company, together with disgruntled rumblings over his departure in the New Zealand media, leads one to make the assumption that Cotter has chosen his perfectionist wisely.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed 27 May 2015, 12:52 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Good article from Scotland's new backs coach on the Beeb.  I'm pleased that he has noticed that Scotland needs to work on their offloads - annoys the hell out of me when we throw pointless offloads that mess everything up.  A bad offload messes up an attack just as much as a good offload breaks open a defence!

It is a shame he isn't coming until after the WC - looking forward to seeing what he can do.

"I'm really excited by the group of talent you've got there," he says. "Stuart Hogg was one of the leading players in the Six Nations in terms of attack stats, line breaks, defenders beaten, offloads, metres made; he's an outstanding talent.

"Likewise, I think Mark Bennett's an outstanding talent, he's really good on his feet, always looking to attack.

"I like the look of Dougie Fife on the wing. Although Finn Russell's got some rough edges, I like his intent in attack and he uses those blindside wingers and inside channels pretty well."

Tick, tick, wtf, tick.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I've never seen Fife as more than an able deputy. He's never struck me as a world class winger. But hey, this is why O'Halloran gets paid the big bucks and not I. Plus, he may bring his old charge Jade Te Rure through, something I know would thrill certain members of this board.

Last edited by madmaccas on Wed 27 May 2015, 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 27 May 2015, 12:58 am

Remember he has probably only seen this year's 6N games, so the only wingers he can comment on are Seymour, Lamont, Fife and Visser....he's obviously deliberately named the youngsters!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 27 May 2015, 1:12 am

The fascinating thing for Scotland fans is that there could well be Duncan Taylor vs Jonathan Joseph on the weekend. That could well be decisive for Taylor's Scottish world cup hopes.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 May 2015, 3:03 am

Two main tough calls in the centre:

1. Is a 60% fit Alex Dunbar a better call than a 100% fit Taylor or Vernon?
2. If not, how can you really compare Taylor and Vernon? Utterly different players.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 May 2015, 3:42 am

George Carlin wrote:Two main tough calls in the centre:

2. If not, how can you really compare Taylor and Vernon? Utterly different players.

After so many barren years it's pleasing to have some genuinely tough decisions to make at centre.

My own view is that Dunbar and Bennett should start if able - even if less than 100% fit. They work really well together.

Behind those too you have Scott and Horne covering 12 (in that order) and Taylor and Vernon covering 13 (again, in that order).

Taylor vs Vernon is about as close a call as you can get, but Taylor shades it for me. I think he has a better all round game for outside centre, particularly his passing/link game.

12. Dunbar, Scott and Horne
13. Bennett, Taylor and Vernon

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed 27 May 2015, 4:30 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

After so many barren years it's pleasing to have some genuinely tough decisions to make at centre.

My own view is that Dunbar and Bennett should start if able - even if less than 100% fit. They work really well together.

Behind those too you have Scott and Horne covering 12 (in that order) and Taylor and Vernon covering 13 (again, in that order).

Taylor vs Vernon is about as close a call as you can get, but Taylor shades it for me. I think he has a better all round game for outside centre, particularly his passing/link game.

Yeah I agree with that, Vernon threw a shocker straight into touch last week. He's getting there, but I don't think soon enough.

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed 27 May 2015, 7:08 am

btw, anyone know when the World Cup extended squad is due to be announced?

I'm assuming it'll be after the finals this weekend, but I suppose without any BaBa games it may not be until late June.

madmaccas

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 May 2015, 9:25 pm

madmaccas wrote:btw, anyone know when the World Cup extended squad is due to be announced?

I'm assuming it'll be after the finals this weekend, but I suppose without any BaBa games it may not be until late June.

I suspect they'll crack on and announce the extended squad in short order. It'll just about include every professional rugby player eligible to play for Scotland, so I doubt there'll be many decisions to make regarding its composition.

The headlines will no doubt be the inclusion of Nel and Strauss (Josh that is), as if we aren't all fully expecting it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 27 May 2015, 9:46 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I am always dubious about basing things around unfit players. However they do get the chance to prove themselves. Vernons defensive work is good as well - something to consider. choices may come down to tactical decisions and opposition as much as anything else

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 May 2015, 9:52 pm

Vernon is good defensively, but so is Taylor.

I know what you mean about fitness, but sometimes the chemistry of a particular combination needs to factor into the equation as well. Dunbar and Bennett just works well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 31 May 2015, 11:51 am

Well I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling much more positive about the World Cup. Since the 6N both Edinburgh and Glasgow made it to finals with Glasgow winning theirs. VC has brought in a great backs coach.

Realistically, I think Scotland should be aiming for a QF placing and to play well in said QF. Anything less that that would be disappointing really. I personally want to see Scotland make the semi finals and going by recent international form I probably sound inebriated. 6N was a tough lesson for all involved but the potential is still there and I think Scotland can step it up a notch.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 31 May 2015, 1:37 pm

samoa will beat the scots though

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 31 May 2015, 11:00 pm

bsando wrote:Well I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling much more positive about the World Cup. Since the 6N both Edinburgh and Glasgow made it to finals with Glasgow winning theirs. VC has brought in a great backs coach.

Realistically, I think Scotland should be aiming for a QF placing and to play well in said QF. Anything less that that would be disappointing really. I personally want to see Scotland make the semi finals and going by recent international form I probably sound inebriated. 6N was a tough lesson for all involved but the potential is still there and I think Scotland can step it up a notch.

The new backs coach won't start till after the WC, Hodge will remain in that role until then.

On paper, Scotland have a decent team now. We just need to learn how to win international rugby matches!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 01 Jun 2015, 7:01 pm

Names in the Scotland frame – for now
COTTER’S ‘big squad’ is about to be revealed but some will have to work hard to earn a final berth writes Iain Morrison

One man who has already ruled himself out of contention is prop Euan Murray but, as if by magic, WP Nel qualifies for his adopted country just in the nick of time and has been earmarked to replace Murray. I wonder how Flower of Scotland sounds in Afrikaans? Geoff Cross is in pole position to back up Nel although the London Irish exile is far from a shoo-in.

It is not impossible that, with the quarter-final that Scotland are targeting falling on a Sunday, someone might have whispered to Murray – who refuses to play on the Sabbath for religious reasons – that he was a luxury the coaches couldn’t afford. On the opposite side of the scrum, Alasdair Dickinson is the leading contender, with a number of others – Ryan Grant, Gordon Reid, Alex Allan – hoping to join him.

Second row is one position where Cotter is picking from relative strength, or at least he will be if Grant Gilchrist and Richie Gray overcome injury problems and throw their hats into the ring as expected. If everyone is fit, it makes for an uncomfortable few months for the likes of Tim Swinson and Jim Hamilton, who may have to rely upon a favourable backs/forwards split if they are to make the final cut.

If Cotter selects 17 forwards and 14 backs that only leaves room for four locks (plus a big six/four like Rob Harley who can do a shift in the boiler house). It is difficult to imagine the Kiwi loading the dice any further in favour of the backs, so his only alternative is swing the other way and opt for 18/13, a split that would give him seven front-row forwards (including three hookers), four locks, six breakaways and still have room for one more big lump in the back five.

Cotter, pictured right,may feel better equipped to pick his squad if he boasted a medical degree rather than a coaching certificate. David Denton is giving the coach a selection headache in light of his latest concussion. The No.8 suffered a bad bang on the head when Edinburgh went down to Munster seven weeks ago and it is not clear that he has managed much, if any, contact work since then.

Another professional player retired last week due to concussion worries, the Newport Gwent Dragons’ Ashley Smith. Add to the mix the fact that Denton missed last summer’s tour with a similar head problem and suddenly the big Zimbabwean breakaway becomes something of a liability. If he got a another bang in the opening match against Japan then he’d be goosed for the remainder of the tournament.

Elsewhere in the back row, Bristol’s Mitch Eadie remains a potential “bolter”. The Bristol No.8 did his prospects no harm in last Wednesday’s second leg of the Championship play-off with some strong carries. Still, the gap from England’s Championship to the World Cup is a Grand Canyon-sized chasm and Eadie remains a long shot for the final 31

In slightly better position is John Barclay, who is rumoured to be back in favour and so he should be after a hugely successful season with the Scarlets. He picked up the coaches’ Player of the Season award – it was not only unanimous but the flanker won it playing most of the campaign out of position at No.8.

For all his intelligence, Barclay doesn’t have the carrying heft required to play eight at international level, but he will challenge Blair Cowan for the No.7 shirt. Cowan is probably stronger over the ball than Barclay, who nevertheless is the better defender of the two. Cowan slips off a few too many tackles and in the big World Cup games – Samoa for the optimists, Japan for the pessimists – that can prove the difference between celebrations and commiserations.

I hope that Hugh Blake is in the big squad, if only as compensation for all the brickbats thrown his way. He qualifies to play for Scotland and, as such, his only crime was moving here and adding to the competition. He got almost no game time with Edinburgh, one start to be exact, but the Kiwi flanker deserves an opportunity to show what he can do in one of the warm-up games. Either he is a good player or he is an ordinary one – Edinburgh coach Alan Solomons and Cotter can’t both be right.

Cotter probably has a pretty good idea of who he wants in his inside and outside backs.There is one spot open for a scrum-half and one additional place for a stand-off, but the midfield hinges once again on the medical bulletins. Scotland’s three leading centres, Matt Scott (shoulder, again), Mark Bennett (shoulder) and Alex Dunbar (knee) are all fighting to be fit.

All three are said to be on, or slightly ahead of, schedule but that doesn’t take into consideration the mental scars following a major injury. Some players return to play like they were never away but for others it is a more tentative business, dipping one toe at a time into the Test match waters, and the World Cup is no place for tentative.

Should Cotter’s worst nightmare come true and all of them fail to recover, then players like Max Evans and Richie Vernon come into the coach’s reckoning. Should all of them be fit and healthy then Cotter will probably need just one more centre – Peter Horne and Greig Tonks both bring versatility, Sean Lamont never gives less than his best.

Four centres would leave the coach with five back players for the back three slots, with Tommy Seymour, Stuart Hogg and Sean Maitland (depending upon injury) the front runners and Dougie Fife, Tim Visser and Sean Lamont vying for the spare places.

With four warm-up matches scheduled, there will be opportunities for everyone to stake a claim.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Jun 2015, 7:05 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 01 Jun 2015, 9:26 pm

Ritchie V had a good game in the pro 12 final -- I think he is coming more and more into the reckoning especially as he can cover back row ( in an emergancy only perhaps)

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 01 Jun 2015, 9:48 pm

Vernon has had the odd good game, but I'd say he has generally been in the solid yet unspectacular camp.

Problem is he's also in the 'he's all we've got' camp so I'm sure he'll be involved.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 01 Jun 2015, 9:59 pm

True - a bit more than solid I would say but certainly not spectacular.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 10:04 pm

Does anyone know when the training squad will be announced?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 01 Jun 2015, 11:56 pm

Holy hell, still can't believe Glasgow won the league.  Doesn't seem that long ago that they were utterly dire and now they're Champions.  Next stop, Champions of Europe!!

Can't wait for the RWC now, our group and route to the final is pretty straight forward.  Give the Japanese a damn good thrashing, beat up the Yanks, run the Saffas close, play smart to beat Samoa, ruin England's year, catch the French on an off day then beat the All Blacks for the first time. Job Done.

I'd like to see

Hogg (22) - 15, 13, 10
Seymour (26) - 14
Maitland (26) - 11, 15
Visser (29) - 11
Fife (24) - 14, 13
Bennett (22) - 13, 12
Scott (24) - 12, 13
Horne (25) - 12, 10
Taylor (25) - 13, 12, 11
Russell (22) - 10, 12
Weir (24) - 10
Hidalgo-Clyne (21) - 9, 11
Laidlaw (29) - 9, 10
Pyrgos (25) - 9

Grant (29) - 1
Dickinson (31) - 1, 3
Nell (29) - 3
Welsh (28) - 3, 1
Cross (32) - 3
Ford (31) - 2
Brown (25) - 2, 7
McInally (24) - 2, 7, 8, 6
Gray (21) - 5
Gray (25) - 4
Toolis (23) - 4
Gilchrist (24) - 5
Harley (25) - 6, 7, 4
Barclay (28) - 7, 8, 6
Strauss (28) - 8, 6
Ashe (21) - 8, 6
Cowan (29) - 7, 8, 6

Really encouraging stuff, the spine of a top quality side is coming into place and they're frighteningly young:

Hogg, Bennett, Russell, Hidalgo-Clyne, Ashe, Gray, Fagerson could all play for the next decade.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:09 am

I can't see many backing Ryan Grant as our starting looshead - generally speaking he has been very poor for a while now.

Dickinson has the black mark from the 6N campaign (not really his fault) but has been dominating for Edinburgh, and Shrek will have down himself a lot of good with his recent performances.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:16 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I can't see many backing Ryan Grant as our starting looshead - generally speaking he has been very poor for a while now.

Dickinson has the black mark from the 6N campaign (not really his fault) but has been dominating for Edinburgh, and Shrek will have down himself a lot of good with his recent performances.
Disagree on Grant's form, maybe not quite at the standard he reached in 2013 yet but after the court business was finished up I thought he settled into some good form.  He'll get a chance in the warm-up games and I think he'll be 1st choice come SA.  

Reid had a good end to the season but not 100% convinced about his scrummaging.

Dickinson is rightly the man in possession of the jersey but I rate Grant as a better all-round player.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:20 am

Fair enough, but it is worth remembering that Grant's most recent contribution was having his arse handed to him by the Ulster front row in the semi - the scrums certainly improved when he went off.

Would be interesting to hear other people's views on this, but I took the consensus to be that he has been poor pretty much since the Lions tour. He's even been nominated for Glasgow's worst player of the season by a few people on the Awards thread!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:21 am

As far as I can tell, there are certain positions that have players already inked in:

1 Dickinson
2 Ford
3 Nel
4 J Gray
5 R Gray
6 Ashe
7 Harley
8 Strauss
9 SHC
10 Russell
11 Maitland
12 Dunbar (Horne)
13 Bennett
14 Seymour
15 Hogg

In the second row, I think Gilchrist has been out for too long to be considered for the RWC - to be expected to play your best rugby after missing a whole season is tough. I'd probably go for Richie Gray if he's fit as we'll need that bulk.

For the back row I think there needs to be a strong Glasgow influence. They won the pro12 and managed to beat a physical Munster pack, which we'll need to do against Samoa and SA. I wouldn't be averse to playing Ashe at 6 and Harley at 7 with Watson on the bench.

Again, with Glasgow winning the pro12, just like when Edinburgh did well in Europe, they deserve to feature dominantly in the team. I'd probably go with Maitland if fit, otherwise I'd go for Lamont. He's experienced, physical, and gives his all.

At 9 I'd go with SHC but it's close with Pyrgos and Laidlaw.

I'd go with Bennett at 13 if he's fit, but I'd ideally like to see Dunbar get a few more games after his injury to see if he's match fit. If not, I'd stick Horne in at 12.

Injury concerns

One question maybe not raised too much is should Denton and Scott be considered at all over the RWC warm up/RWC due to their injuries? I'm no doctor but I can't help but feel a long period of rest would do them both some good.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:27 am

Denton still hadn't got back to contact training 7 weeks on apparently. Also worth remembering he missed last year's Sumner tour due to concussion.

Saying that, it has been 8 weeks now and, given they won't ve doing too much contact work at the start of preseason, there's plenty time for him to get back into it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:47 am

Is Denton needed/even able to get into the RWC squad?

I'd have Strauss and Ashe ahead of him at 6 or 8, and maybe Harley too. Then you've got to consider 7s such as Watson and Cowan.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 02 Jun 2015, 12:55 am

Denton is a luxury player now with Ashe having had a good season.

I would love it if we took Watson as a genuine openside, with Wilson also able to cover that role. With Strauss, Ashe, Harley, Watson and Wilson - why would you need Denton? Barclay has played more at 8 this season than he has.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:01 am

Word in the Scotsman is that Barclay is back in favour

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:07 am

Denton's been unfortunate with injuries, Strauss and Ashe are comfortably ahead of him and I'd wager that Wilson may have also nudged his way ahead too.  

IMO Harley could be a key player for us, we've got to win one of SA or Samoa to get through and both rely on big powerful runners to batter opponents into submission.  He's perfect for that type of game, plus our line-out functioned much better with him as another option.

Maybe play Ashe and Strauss with an open-side against Japan & USA, try blast them out the match then bring Harley in for a couple defensive shifts plus it keeps our line-out under wraps before SA match.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:30 am

Wilson has certainly redeemed himself since his ban, but he's always been found lacking at International level - he just doesn't have the power. He had a big game in the semi and final but I did notice he didn't make overly many yards in contact with the ball, not least compared to Strauss anyway (Wilson made 4m, Straus 43m according to the stats).

I wouldn't write off Denton yet - we need big ball carriers against SA and Samoa and that is certainly what he gives you.  Yes he might not have the all round game of Strauss (no caps) or the athelticism of Ashe (inexperienced) but if you build a balanced back row around him then Denton will certainly do a job.

It is a good position to be in and most people would be happy with any combination of Harley, Strauss, Ashe & Denton (as long as none of them are at 7).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:36 am

Christ I miss Ross Rennie dominating the contact area.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:41 am

The good thing is we can probably field two backrows depending on what kind of game we need:

Offensive -

6 Strauss
7 Watson
8 Denton/Ashe

Defensive -

6 Harley
7 Barclay
8 Strauss

That first backrow would hopefully cause damage against the likes of Japan and US, and the 2nd one would do a decent job dealing with the big runners of SA and Samoa.

Cowan is Cotter's #1 just now and I suppose his thing is that he is kind of a 6.5 - not really an attacking or defensive 7, just a good all-rounder.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:47 am

My god, I completely forgot about Cowan.

I am not sure what that means, but I daresay that subconsciously I wasn't that impressed with him in the 6 Nations. He seems to be a penalty magnet - and I mean outside the permitted tolerance that we usually have for openside flankers.

I wouldn't have Cowan over any of the other loose forwards mentioned above.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 02 Jun 2015, 1:55 am

I think Cowan is going to be the kind of player that none of us would choose but ends up getting picked anyway. You'd think the Scotland management would listen to us!

Saying that, he could be a good bench option - specialists in each back row position with him covering all 3 off the bench.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next