The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final

+43
offload
alive555
Majestic83
Imperialbigdave
dragon4life
LeinsterFan4life
Biltong
Notch
Totalflanker
doctor_grey
SecretFly
IanBru
TheMildlyFranticLlama
MarcusHalberstram
Steffan
justified sinner
PenfroPete
tigertattie
des
jimbopip
Anglobraveheart
Tattie Scones RRN
GLove39
cp10
EWT Spoons
Weegie Wizard
BigGee
Welshmushroom
InjuredYetAgain
Nematode
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
TJ
Cardiff Dave
RDW
Luckless Pedestrian
VinceWLB
LordDowlais
bedfordwelsh
cakeordeath
The Saint
GavinDragon
47 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 Empty Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final

Post by GavinDragon Mon 13 Apr 2015, 1:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 Edinbu11                           Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 Dragon10
Edinburgh Rugby v Newport Gwent Dragons
Friday 17 April 2015
KO 19:45
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: JP Doyle
AR1: Luke Pearce
AR2: Marius Mitrea

Teams:

Edinburgh Rugby
15. Jack Cuthbert
14. Dougie Fife
13. Sam Beard
12. Andries Strauss
11. Tim Visser
10. Phil Burleigh
09. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

01. Alasdair Dickinson
02. Ross Ford
03. WP Nel
04. Anton Bresler
05. Ben Toolis
06. Stuart McInally
07. Roddy Grant
08. Mike Coman (c)

16. Neil Cochrane
17. Rory Sutherland
18. John Andress
19. Fraser McKenzie
20. Cornell Du Preez
21. Nathan Fowles
22. Tom Heathcote
23. Tom Brown

Newport Gwent Dragons
15 Jason Tovey
14 Tom Prydie
13 Tyler Morgan
12 Jack Dixon
11 Hallam Amos
10 Dorian Jones
09 Jonathan Evans

01 Brok Harris
02 T. Rhys Thomas (c)
03 Dan Way
04 James Thomas
05 Cory Hill
06 Nick Crosswell
07 Nic Cudd
08 Taulupe Faletau.

16 Rhys Buckley
17 Phil Price
18 Lloyd Fairbrother
19 Matthew Screech
20 James Benjamin
21 Luc Jones
22 Ashton Hewitt
23 Geraint Rhys Jones

Couldn't wait any longer to start this thread.

Absolutely bouncing for Friday. First semi final for 8 years and hoping we can go one better. Dragons have just announced a third coach of supporters booked for the trip which, given the short notice, is a great effort.

We are coming in off a bonus point win against pro12 champions Leinster (while being 22-8 down at one point), have won four on the bounce and have a great team spirit of young Welshmen from around the region with a sprinkling of gnarly pros.

Bouncing Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 3933776953 Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 3933776953 Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 3933776953 Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 3933776953

Last edited by GavinDragon on Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Apr 2015, 9:42 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Tovey is our best kicker I think. Yeah he missed a sitter last week, but I think he's pretty solid. It was pretty windy at Dave, so I think he overthought the sitter a bit too much.

Was howling last week to yeah can't hold that one against him. Think both are usually reliable Prydie seems to have the greater range Tovey more accurate so good mix overall really.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final - Page 3 Empty Re: Edinburgh vs Dragons, ECC Semi Final

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Apr 2015, 9:44 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:From a fans point of view (well Dragons at least) such a shame that this is the Friday night game.

Murrayfield is being used on the Saturday for the Scottish club rugby finals day, and I suspect the broadcaster didn't want it on the same day as the Champions cup semis

Still a shame though given the distance away fans have to travel Fair play to the club they have put on a cracking deal and there 3 poss 4 coach loads going up plus others making their own way. I will just have to wait for the final Wink
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 15 Apr 2015, 9:53 pm

All other issues aside it should be a good game. Lets hope so. Dragons showed no little class and guts last week. Edinburgh simply chucked their guts. However Edinburgh this season seem to go bad game good game bad game good game etc etc so should be time for a performance from them - and I suspect we will see the best Edinburgh team they can put out.

I'd have Dragons as favourites simply because of the win last week - but I wouldn't put a bet on it

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 15 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

Having seen bits and pieces of the Aviva this season, neither side would be overly concerned about Glaws, especially if Greg Laidlaw is playing - coastal erosion is quicker than his service. Exeter on the other hand wiped the floor with the Saints last weekend and looked a notch or two above what Edin or the Dragons could cope with

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 15 Apr 2015, 9:57 pm

Agreed on that point when Wink us Dragons get to the final I would much fancy Glawster than Exeter.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:04 pm

Thinking ahead, this game could signal the end of both team's meaningful interest in the Pro12. The winner will focus on the final and to hell with trying to get 7th (lack pf depth etc to risk the front line players) and the loser will probably be in a bad frame of mind to get 7th.

I know there is a lot of guff on other threads about how rubbish the ECC is and how it is a waste of time but I reckon all players would go hell for leather and want to win some silverware in their career. Let's be honest, the ECC is both team's best bet for a trophy for the foreseeable future

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:05 pm

Edinburghs chance of 7th has almost gone anyway

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 15 Apr 2015, 10:28 pm

Sadly, you ain't wrong. I was partly trying to put a positive spin on the situation

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
InjuredYetAgain wrote:10k?! Wow, if that is right, I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised. I would have thought 8k would be acceptable and understandable given our average crowd plus the fact it is on a Friday night.
I had a quick look at the SRU site and they have the diagram of the stadium showing what seats have been taken/what are free, and to be honest, there doesn't look anything like 10k blocked out. Where did you see that number, RDW?

On the radio earlier tuday.

I agree that 10k is a bit adventurous!
Aye, I reckon that will be from the same radio commentator who probably will make reference to a late change in the line-up due to injury when he sees that Ally McCoist isn't wearing the number 9 top.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 7:21 am

To be fair, there has been a lot more media exposure for this - BBC Scotland 'sport' have even been talking about it, and sometimes even before they've gone into great detail about the latest 3rd division football news!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 16 Apr 2015, 8:18 am

Edinburgh have fair been advertising this game as well.

A cup semi final is something that should be enjoyed and I think it’s good that Edinburgh have gone all out, in comparison to their normal “oh yeah there is a match on…can’t remember against who”, marketing campaign.

Also hats off to dragons who I believe are subsidising the game for their fans and laying on coaches etc.

Will be interesting to see the line ups for both sides. The momentum is definitely with Dragons though.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:35 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:Saint, have you mistaken this thread for the one about the Pro12 'facts'?

See posts on this thread by injuredyetagain and serial whiner TJ.

Saint, I've just scrolled through and the only post from Injuredyetagain is around the number of tickets sold and hoping there are a lot of  walk ups on the day.  I'm not really sure what you've got against that, unless I've missed another post on this thread from them?

TJ doesn't like the competition, I don't agree with him/her, but it's their opinion, again not sure what this has to do with being against the Welsh.  It does seem like you are looking to be offended, if that's the case I would strongly advise giving the internet a miss, it's not for you.

I was mistaken, the post was by ineffable. And seeing as I'm being told to 'take a joke' then why wasn't ineffable told to do so? I started off with the joke post, then Dragons fans (who are also Welsh) were collectively bitched at for being arrogant, lacking in humility, etc. One poster seemed a bit demeaning of Edinburgh's chances, but he isn't a Dragons fan.

There's also the post by serial whiner TJ, don't see what that post isn't brought up by you guys? Selective reading again. And I see TJ is being a hypocrite again, he openly states on the Pro12 facts thread that everything that has gone badly in the league is the fault of THE WELSH and claims he doesn't make anti-welsh posts laughing, then follows up with the usual crap "bla bla whinge I've got him on block" - some people seriously need to grow up. And if all you guys are going to moan about posts then at least don't be biased about it.

Back to thread. Yeah all in all, we should wipe the floor with Edinburgh.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:58 am

The Saint wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Weegie Wizard wrote:Saint, have you mistaken this thread for the one about the Pro12 'facts'?

Saint, I've just scrolled through and the only post from Injuredyetagain is around the number of tickets sold and hoping there are a lot of  walk ups on the day.  I'm not really sure what you've got against that, unless I've missed another post on this thread from them?

TJ doesn't like the competition, I don't agree with him/her, but it's their opinion, again not sure what this has to do with being against the Welsh.  It does seem like you are looking to be offended, if that's the case I would strongly advise giving the internet a miss, it's not for you.

I was mistaken, the post was by ineffable. And seeing as I'm being told to 'take a joke' then why wasn't ineffable told to do so? I started off with the joke post, then Dragons fans (who are also Welsh) were collectively bitched at for being arrogant, lacking in humility, etc. One poster seemed a bit demeaning of Edinburgh's chances, but he isn't a Dragons fan.

There's also the post by serial whiner TJ, don't see what that post isn't brought up by you guys? Selective reading again. And I see TJ is being a hypocrite again, he openly states on the Pro12 facts thread that everything that has gone badly in the league is the fault of THE WELSH and claims he doesn't make anti-welsh posts laughing, then follows up with the usual crap "bla bla whinge I've got him on block" - some people seriously need to grow up. And if all you guys are going to moan about posts then at least don't be biased about it.

I don't normally tend to get involved in this, but as you replied. I've just read the post by ineffable and if you look a couple of posts later they apologised because they misread what they were responding too. I haven't seen any posts bitching at Dragon fans for being arrogant, (to be honest form would suggest Dragon fans have every right to feel a bit arrogant about the game) with the exception of Ineffable's who as I say apologised right after.

I haven't brought up TJ as all they seem to have done is say they don't like the competition. I didn't notice any attacks against ANY NATION (on this thread, I'm not going to go through every thread on the forum), if you have beef with TJ and believe they complain about the Welsh then reply on the thread it applies to.

On your last point, if we haven't got our key players back and both teams play to the same standard as last week, then yeah there is every chance you'll beat us fairly comfortably. However, if we can get at least SHC and Denton back then it's going to help us be a lot more competitive.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

Don't feed the troll please.
He has NO evidence I am anti welsh and when challenged has been unable to point to any anti welsh post.

Please - just ignore him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:05 am

Please, please can we avoid any further public urination competitions?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:08 am

To add to GCs point, if Saint and TJ could add each other to their foe list to avoid this continually happening.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:11 am

The Saint wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
The Saint wrote:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:11 am

I have him blocked. I only see his posts when others quote them but he still makes continual false accusations about me. I have suggested he blocks me as my posts upset him so much. "And I see TJ is being a hypocrite again, he openly states on the Pro12 facts thread that everything that has gone badly in the league is the fault of THE WELSH and claims he doesn't make anti-welsh posts " false accusation s I have not said that

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:31 am

Thanks TJ.

Saint, please follow suit.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:38 am

Book them a room. Xx

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:40 am

Book them a room. Xx

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:59 am

Anyone know what the ticket sales are so far?

I imagine ER gets quite a few people strolling along before the game and not pre-booking tickets.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:01 am

we usually can pay at the gate and folk do. needs to be advertised tho so the fickle fans remember its on.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

5 quid more on the day - not sure Edinburgh are worth watching for 25 quid!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:07 am

I heard somewhere 3000 tickets sold being mentioned which seems low.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:29 am

Nematode wrote:I heard somewhere 3000 tickets sold being mentioned which seems low.

Its a reflection on the lack of meaning in the cup - Edinburgh fans are very fickle and will attend for a big day out but not for something lessor - thats my guerss but also I would expect lots of pay on the day

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:40 am

TJ wrote:
Nematode wrote:I heard somewhere 3000 tickets sold being mentioned which seems low.

Its a reflection on the lack of meaning in the cup - Edinburgh fans are very fickle and will attend for a big day out but not for something lessor - thats my guerss but also I would expect lots of pay on the day

Maybe it's just me, but a cup semi final seems like a big day (or evening in this case) out, so it should attract a good number.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:50 am

You see to me its not a big day out. its a team we play already but in a meaningless competition. Remember this is Edinburgh - a somewhat posh and snobby place where the rugby support comes from a posh public school type demographic - they don't want to be reminded they are not the cream.

I would expect a better crowd than the average gate tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:53 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
TJ wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but a cup semi final seems like a big day (or evening in this case) out, so it should attract a good number.

The timing doesn't help away fans one bit, not saying we would bring the numbers the likes of Leicester, Leinster, Munster etc would bring but if it was at a decent time on Saturday then lots more would have made the trip than are doing so.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:01 pm

What was the reason for a Friday night game again? Was it a TV thing?

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:04 pm

Murrayfeild is being used on Saturday for something else - can't remember what.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:05 pm

Scottish club rugby finals day.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

Dragons: J Tovey, T Prydie, T Morgan, J Dixon, H Amos, D Jones, J Evans, B Harris, R Thomas (captain), D Way, J Thomas, C Hill, N Crosswell, N Cudd, T Faletau. Replacements: R Buckley, P Price, L Fairbrother, M Screech, J Benjamin, L Jones, A Hewitt, GR Jones.

Firstly it's a huge shout playing a tighthead at 1 against a pretty good scrum. Secondly, I don't get why Dorian has been given another chance at ten again.

I was looking forward to this, but it's funny what a team selection can do.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:23 pm

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but here we go:

TJ wrote:I have to say I am rapidly reaching the conclusion the pro 12 would be better of without the welsh carping on all the time blaming everyone and inventing weird conspiracy theories.

RDW_Scotland wrote:Thanks TJ.

Saint, please follow suit.

Evidently that doesn't do any good. Plus I'm not one to really go doing that and then type in every other post "I have him blocked, bla bla" - I think it's really childish. However if preferred I can refrain from engaging with said poster and strictly discuss the match. I though this post was necessary as it was said I always make false accusations.

EWT Spoons wrote:
The Saint wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:
The Saint wrote:

I don't normally tend to get involved in this, but as you replied.  I've just read the post by ineffable and if you look a couple of posts later they apologised because they misread what they were responding too.  I haven't seen any posts bitching at Dragon fans for being arrogant, (to be honest form would suggest Dragon fans have every right to feel a bit arrogant about the game) with the exception of Ineffable's who as I say apologised right after.

I haven't brought up TJ as all they seem to have done is say they don't like the competition.  I didn't notice any attacks against ANY NATION (on this thread, I'm not going to go through every thread on the forum), if you have beef with TJ and believe they complain about the Welsh then reply on the thread it applies to.

On your last point, if we haven't got our key players back and both teams play to the same standard as last week, then yeah there is every chance you'll beat us fairly comfortably.  However, if we can get at least SHC and Denton back then it's going to help us be a lot more competitive.  

EWT no need to explain, I can see you're a decent poster, unlike some. If ineffable did apologise then fair enough, but I still don't see why some posters still have to selectively whinge at others. There are a number of Welsh posters on this forum tired of it constantly being directed at Wales and Welsh teams/players/fans. There is even another two running threads on the club selection currently doing it.

As I've previously said, we'll need to really step up a few levels from our last performance at Murrayfield. I think with that in mind Edinburgh will really be confident, so it is a game where we badly need players like Landman and Coombes (both unavailable) on the pitch. We also need a more experienced a player in midfield, I think this should help address some defensive issues as in the last few matches players have gone through the backline like a knife through butter. I also think that gaining parity up front will allow our backs to run wild - which they have been doing in this competition and as of late. We currently have some very good and young attacking players in the backline, Morgan and Amos are the most dangerous. Our away form still isn't great, so it will be interesting to see if Edinburgh react to the thumping they just received from Munster by putting on a good show; as I a Dragons fan I'm obviously hoping the misery continues for you...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:26 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Dragons: J Tovey, T Prydie, T Morgan, J Dixon, H Amos, D Jones, J Evans, B Harris, R Thomas (captain), D Way, J Thomas, C Hill, N Crosswell, N Cudd, T Faletau. Replacements: R Buckley, P Price, L Fairbrother, M Screech, J Benjamin, L Jones, A Hewitt, GR Jones.

Firstly it's a huge shout playing a tighthead at 1 against a pretty good scrum. Secondly, I don't get why Dorian has been given another chance at ten again.

I was looking forward to this, but it's funny what a team selection can do.

Edinburgh fans your team have the advantage. You've a strong pack and we have one of our best players out of position, alongside a hopeless scrummager (Dan Way). If I was you I'd also be sending big runners at 10.

Rev, who should play at 10 and at 15 for you?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:32 pm

TJ wrote:You see to me its not a big day out.  its a team we play already but in a meaningless competition.  Remember this is Edinburgh - a somewhat posh and snobby place where the rugby support comes from a posh public school type demographic - they don't want to be reminded they are not the cream.

TJ , FFS don't let Schiz see this: he'll put you on the naughty step for being too nice to the Metrosexual Festival Luvvies.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:33 pm

Teams up;

Dickinson
Ford
Nel
Bresler
Toolis
McInally
Grant
Coman (c)

SHC
Burleigh

Visser
Strauss
Beard
Fife
Cuthbert

Bench: Cochrane, Sutherland, Andress, McKenzie, Du Press, Fowles, Heathcote, Brown

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:35 pm

Bench looks good as well. DuPReez and a strong scrummager in Sutherland

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:40 pm

Weegie Wizard wrote:What was the reason for a Friday night game again? Was it a TV thing?

Plus I am guessing the TV lot see Gloucester v Exeter as a bigger draw for the prime time slot.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm

jimbopip wrote:
TJ wrote:You see to me its not a big day out.  its a team we play already but in a meaningless competition.  Remember this is Edinburgh - a somewhat posh and snobby place where the rugby support comes from a posh public school type demographic - they don't want to be reminded they are not the cream.

TJ , FFS don't let Schiz see this: he'll put you on the naughty step for being too nice to the Metrosexual Festival Luvvies.

Its OK - I live in Leith. that is the naughty step

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:42 pm

Saint, I guess it's because Leach isn't fit. I'd have played Jason at ten after last week though, even if it meant starting somebody like Ashton Hewitt on the wing and moving Prydie to 15.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:43 pm

:facepalm: Burly at ten? McInally in the back row? wew are going to get hammered

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:46 pm

No, TJ, that is the bad corner of the naughty step. I speak as one who failed to study hard enough at Leith Nautical College (now Tom Kitchen's eaterie) and was asked to take my intellectual pretensions elsewhere. I'm surprised FES doesn't send you food parcels from Stockbridge. Maybe he has and his footman got mugged on the way.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 16 Apr 2015, 12:47 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Saint, I guess it's because Leach isn't fit. I'd have played Jason at ten after last week though, even if it meant starting somebody like Ashton Hewitt on the wing and moving Prydie to 15.

I'd agree with that. If Leach was fit I'd probably go for Leach and Morgan in the centre, not sure if you'd do it the other way around (pairing Leach with Dixon instead).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:17 pm

At first glance a strange Edinburgh team, but Tonks and Watson are apparently injured so can see why he's picked the team he's picked.

McInally moving back to backrow isn't idea, and I'm not sure just how fit Cornell Du Preez is, but that is still a competitive team.

Brilliant to see Hidalgo-Clyne back - I think he could be the difference.

Reassuring to hear of potential scrummaging weaknesses from the Dragons - hopefully we can target that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:19 pm

Hmm.

1. WTF is Hamish Watson? I really feel sorry for McInally. Changing position only really works if the coach stops playing you in the old position.
2. Hurly at 10? Shocked I know that he has played there, but when was the last time?Why not just start Heathcote and keep Hurly as utility back cover? He is far more attacking than Heathcote, but how are his basics?
3. 3 out of our best 4 locks are now in the matchday squad. Thrilled to see FES' boyfriend back on the bench.
4. SHC is back. I don't care if he needs to be held together with sticky tape - his presence is vital. But how will his fitness be.

I have a bit more confidence now after seeing that Dragons side.

It will be close.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:20 pm

Following a gripping victory in the European Challenge Cup quarter final against London Irish at the Madejski on Sunday 5 April, Edinburgh earned a home semi final against Dragons at BT Murrayfield (Friday 17 April, kick-off 7.45pm).

Head coach Alan Solomons has made seven changes to the starting XV from last Saturday’s home league defeat to Munster, four in the backs and three in the pack.

Returning at fullback, in place of Greig Tonks who is carrying a hamstring injury, is Jack Cuthbert while Sam Beard comes in at outside centre. Andries Strauss and Tim Visser retain their places at inside centre and left wing respectively.

Meanwhile there’s a change in the halfback pairing as Phil Burleigh moves from outside centre to stand-off, with Sam Hidalgo-Clyne returning from injury at 9.

With three exceptions, the pack is unchanged since last weekend with Alasdair Dickinson at loosehead, W P Nel at tighthead and Ross Ford at hooker. Anton Bresler and Ben Toolis maintain the partnership at lock with Roddy Grant moving to openside in place of the injured Hamish Watson and Stuart McInally coming in at blindside. Following a head knock sustained early in the first half of last Saturday’s fixture, David Denton is following the return to play protocols and is not available for selection. Captain Mike Coman returns from injury to take the number 8 jersey.

A welcome return to the bench comes in the shape of back row Cornell Du Preez, returning from a serious lower leg injury sustained in the Guinness PRO12 win over Dragons last October.

Recently announced on a professional contract with the club, prop Rory Sutherland returns to the substitutes, following a head knock sustained in the European quarter-final against London Irish.

Head coach Alan Solomons said: “This is a massive match for the team and the club. We are all aware of what is at stake and need to play accordingly.”

Edinburgh Rugby team v Dragons, Friday 17 April, BT Murrayfield, k/o 7.45pm

15 Jack CUTHBERT

14 Dougie FIFE

13 Sam BEARD

12 Andries STRAUSS

11 Tim VISSER

10 Phil BURLEIGH

9 Sam HIDALGO-CLYNE

1 Alasdair DICKINSON

2 Ross FORD

3 WP NEL

4 Anton BRESLER

5 Ben TOOLIS

6 Stuart McINALLY

7 Roddy GRANT

8 Mike COMAN (captain)

Substitutes

16 Neil COCHRANE

17 Rory SUTHERLAND

18 John ANDRESS

19 Fraser MCKENZIE

20 Cornell DU PREEZ

21 Nathan FOWLES

22 Tom HEATHCOTE

23 Tom BROWN

Hugh Blake is with Glasgow Warriors until the end of the season

Injury update

Allan Dell (ankle), David Denton (head), Grant Gilchrist (arm), Sean Kennedy (shoulder), Tomas Leonardi (head), Nick McLennan (groin), Matt Scott (shoulder), Greig Tonks (hamstring), Hamish Watson (hamstring)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:21 pm

Denton, Watson and Leonardi all injured.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:42 pm

Going to be a tight game. I think if Edinburgh had their strongest team out, with home advantage then they would take it with something to spare. As it is, with both team minus a few starters, form is going out of the window.

I think I still fancy Edinburgh, but it will be close.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:58 pm

I'm just about to buy my tickets and thought I'd post this:

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/details/event.aspx?itemref=4161&utm_source=Edinburgh+v+Toulouse+2012&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ed+semi

Looks a fairly decent turnout so far.  Maybe 7-8K, most of the east stand looks pretty full.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next