The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight night

+17
LionsV2
hazharrison
Rodney
The Mighty G
horizontalhero
eirebilly
EX7EY
milkyboy
wheelchair1991
3fingers
mobilemaster8
Herman Jaeger
BoxingFan88
Happytravelling
Pedro147
Derbymanc
spencerclarke
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fight night - Page 3 Empty Fight night

Post by spencerclarke Sat 07 Oct 2017, 4:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Afternoon all,

Really looking forward to Crolla v Burns tonight. I'm a fan of both men and can see this being a great contest. Both gentlemen of the sport but both always go for it. I'm hoping for a Burns win but hope both have somewhere to go after this.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Fight night - Page 3 Empty Re: Fight night

Post by Steffan Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:33 pm

MrJB wrote:Great finish. Groves should beat Eubank, he'll box off the back foot all night and pick him off.
Agreed. Although I might stick a cheeky few quid on Eubanks as he will go in the underdog

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:37 pm

Will almost certainly be whacking money on Eubank to do a job on Groves after tonight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:42 pm

Just a peach of a body shop would have been a good war of attrition shame Cox can come again

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 14 Oct 2017, 10:45 pm

How about Cox/Yildirim?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:57 pm

Yeh was actually turning into a competitive fight. Wanted to ideally see how groves would have got on later in the fight......never the less....peach body shot timed beautifully. Still think Eubank will do him....and I hate that....hopefully Groves bangs him out....but can't see it.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 15 Oct 2017, 3:53 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Kalle’s having a good chew on that gum not sure I like to see the promoter chewing gum on stage though not sure it looks very professional

As for the fight well Cox is something of an unknown quantity at this level that’s why it’s difficult to make a prediction. George a very warm favourite I guess stylistically they’re thinking this fight favours Groves. Groves on points but a massive upset wouldn’t upset me at all I hope he’s not underestimating Cox’ ring iq

The running gag is that Kalle is off his chops on the white stuff most of the time. Guy's permanently gurning, licking his lips etc. with eyes like saucers.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 15 Oct 2017, 4:35 am

Apparently that’s the first time Cox has ever been put down by a body shot in his life

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 15 Oct 2017, 10:28 am

hazharrison wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:Kalle’s having a good chew on that gum not sure I like to see the promoter chewing gum on stage though not sure it looks very professional

As for the fight well Cox is something of an unknown quantity at this level that’s why it’s difficult to make a prediction. George a very warm favourite I guess stylistically they’re thinking this fight favours Groves. Groves on points but a massive upset wouldn’t upset me at all I hope he’s not underestimating Cox’ ring iq

The running gag is that Kalle is off his chops on the white stuff most of the time. Guy's permanently gurning, licking his lips etc. with eyes like saucers.

Seems like most the people I see at the big fights. Also lots of people must have bad bowels as ususally long queues for all the cubicles, the urinals are generally pretty free Headscratch

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 15 Oct 2017, 2:10 pm

First time Cox has ever been put down by a body shot, first time Groves has ever ko’d anyone with a body shot it was a one in a million

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 15 Oct 2017, 2:22 pm

hazharrison wrote:

Wonder where the Groves/Eubank fight will be held? Cardiff would be good. Wonder what kind of an audience it would have attracted if it had been free to air ITV1? Wonder if it would have broken the ten million mark

https://youtu.be/p1ilqa9fR7A

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Wonder where the Groves/Eubank fight will be held? Cardiff would be good
Nah please don't have it in Cardiff

We've already got Joshua and his fans coming to Wales

Last thing we need is the Eubanks and Groves lot

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 15 Oct 2017, 2:32 pm

Neutral I was thinking. Could have it up North too

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJB Sun 15 Oct 2017, 2:33 pm

Rumor I heard was that it could be at Stamford Bridge or Craven Cottage, would be surprised though

MrJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 15 Oct 2017, 3:10 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh was actually turning into a competitive fight. Wanted to ideally see how groves would have got on later in the fight......never the less....peach body shot timed beautifully. Still think Eubank will do him....and I hate that....hopefully Groves bangs him out....but can't see it.

Yeah Cox has got a great engine that’s why I wanted to see the fight progress we know George can tire

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Oct 2017, 6:18 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Neutral I was thinking. Could have it up North too

MrJB wrote:Rumor I heard was that it could be at Stamford Bridge or Craven Cottage, would be surprised though
Only place they would have it up north would be Manchester Arena. Doesn't make sense to have it there though given that both are from down south. That being said...we have got an English fighter from London making the headline fight in Cardiff, Wales later this month. Not sure why...not as there isn't plenty of stadiums/arenas in London to host the fight. Stamford Bridge or Craven Cottage for Groves v Eubanks seems realistic enough. As long as it's not in Cardiff I don't mind

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 15 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm

You're a strange little man, nothing quite like casual Xenophobia.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:21 pm

LionsV2 wrote:You're a strange little man, nothing quite like casual Xenophobia.
No worse than what I experienced working up in Suffolk the last 6 months. Even the local girl I was knocking about with was dishing it out...

But come on man...we put up with years of football and rugby league finals. Then it was the Ashes and now it's a boxing match. I am sure all these English sporting fans would rather watch these events in their own country anyway

True story mind...there's a local pub by me which also serves as a small hotel. For years we had rugby league fans staying there for the Grand Final in Cardiff. They were no problem at all to be fair (albeit a little bit on the thick side)

Then one year about 10 West Ham football fans came to stay. On the Friday night before the match they got really drunk and started singing pro-England songs and giving out the usual sheep chants about the Welsh. All us locals wanted to do was have a quiet pint.

So I went over and told them that someone had made a phone call and about 20 Cardiff football hooligans were coming to the pub to rearrange their faces. They left their pints, went straight up to their rooms and we didn't hear a peep up of them after that. There was no phone call and there was no hooligans en route. That's what you get for playing up laughing

Last edited by Steffan on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm; edited 5 times in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

Be very surprised if it is outdoors in Jan/Feb.............Logistically difficult.....

Hagler v Mugabi was Mar 1986 in Vegas and plenty were moaning it was too cold......and winters there will be nothing like here..

My bet is an indoor arena....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:My bet is an indoor arena....
The 02 my money would be on

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:43 pm

Anthony Joshua won gold for Great Britain and correct me if I'm wrong but Cardiff is in Great Britain so fail to see the problem. It's as though Selby, Calzaghe, Cleverley and Enzo Mac never fought in England. Pathetic really and it selling out suggests the Welsh are in general supportive of all British boxers.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:54 pm

LionsV2 wrote:Pathetic really and it selling out suggests the Welsh are in general supportive of all British boxers
Not entirely sure to be honest what the ratio for Welsh v non-Welsh Joshua supporters is. Perhaps we could do a survey?

I doubt any of them will be singing 'God Save the Queen' during anthem time though. Even Ryan Giggs refused to sing that when captaining Team GB football (as did Bellamy and Ramsey) laughing

On another note...with you be attending the fight? Not really much chance of Joshua losing I guess...although I guess Pulev is worth a cheeky few quid. Or maybe not...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 11:46 am

Don't put us all in the same boat

I'm really happy that joshua vs pulev is in Cardiff

I would also be very happy if groves vs eubank was in Wales

Great fight

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJB Mon 16 Oct 2017, 11:56 am

I can kind of see both sides of your arguments here.

Whilst it's great that Joshua is fighting in Cardiff and going to parts of the UK an English champion would never normally go to, I can't help but feel that Eddie is turning this into a rodeo from which he makes most of the profit. Remember when Don King was taking Tyson all over the place and the fights that Ali had around the world. Money talks.

For me, Joshua should fight at the prime locations but when you have great venues such as Wembley, 02, Vicarage Road (as he's a Watford fan), MEN and others, it shows that Eddie taking him to Cardiff is clearly a monetary decision. Not to say the Principality isn't a bad venue but it would be rocking more if it was Selby fighting.

There's been talk of fights in Abu Dhabi, Qatar and even Australia (I think). Joshua should fight here and in the States

MrJB

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

MrJB wrote:

For me, Joshua should fight at the prime locations but when you have great venues such as Wembley, 02, Vicarage Road (as he's a Watford fan), MEN and others, it shows that Eddie taking him to Cardiff is clearly a monetary decision. Not to say the Principality isn't a bad venue but it would be rocking more if it was Selby fighting.

There's been talk of fights in Abu Dhabi, Qatar and even Australia (I think). Joshua should fight here and in the States

If that were true then Selby would be selling it out instead of fighting on undercards, it can only be a monetary decision if the demand is there.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJB Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:35 pm

I was using Selby as an example of Welsh world champion. I think he should be selling it out, sadly for him, no one wants to fight him because they know he'd win. Santa Cruz, Mares, Frampton, Quigg and Valdez are all running scared. Russel Jr is the only one I think could beat him.

The point I was originally making was that as popular as Joshua is (potential SPOTY this year), I know that the atmosphere would be better for Selby than it would for him

MrJB

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:36 pm

Not sure what the mystery is with Joshua fighting in Cardiff. It is obviously as the stadium has a roof so the only place they can stage a fight in October in the UK and milk money as much money as they can from ticket sales. Or I should say ticket resales via StubHub

I am not sure either why Wales would mind staging it? If they don’t like the English cheer on the other guy. Also 50k+ people can only be good for local economy.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm

MrJB wrote:I was using Selby as an example of Welsh world champion. I think he should be selling it out, sadly for him, no one wants to fight him because they know he'd win. Santa Cruz, Mares, Frampton, Quigg and Valdez are all running scared. Russel Jr is the only one I think could beat him.

The point I was originally making was that as popular as Joshua is (potential SPOTY this year), I know that the atmosphere would be better for Selby than it would for him

The atmosphere would be better for a guy who hasn't headlined a major event yet? Just because he's Welsh means naff all, he's not a draw.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by MrJB Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:43 pm

LionsV2 wrote:
MrJB wrote:I was using Selby as an example of Welsh world champion. I think he should be selling it out, sadly for him, no one wants to fight him because they know he'd win. Santa Cruz, Mares, Frampton, Quigg and Valdez are all running scared. Russel Jr is the only one I think could beat him.

The atmosphere would be better for a guy who hasn't headlined a major event yet? Just because he's Welsh means naff all, he's not a draw.

Not right now no. If he was to get the big fights, win and them come home as a bigger star then yes it would

MrJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Oct 2017, 2:58 pm

melv500 wrote:If they don’t like the English cheer on the other guy
Can't say that Welsh people will be cheering on Pulev. I think Joshua has a lot of armchair fans in Wales. No one I know is going though. Not saying that accounts for the rest of boxing fans in Wales...but when it was Calzaghe v Kessler every boxing fan I knew was going (including the casuals)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:34 pm

Pulev injured and fight is off. Few sources confirmed this.

They are going to try for another opponent. Only one I can think of would be Whyte.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:37 pm

Joshua now faces Takam on Oct 28 in Cardiff. Awful stuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:38 pm

Yeah I just read that now on:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/boxing/anthony-joshuas-world-title-defence-13771434

WOL is a bit of a click bait paper though so didn't take it too seriously. If it is off I feel sorry for all the people who bought tickets. Who is Takam by the way?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:40 pm

Takam is that cameroonian bloke. Remember he lost to Parker, that's all I remember.

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:43 pm

Surely they can't make this PPV now. It's beyond a joke if so.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:54 pm

Has to be Takam, he is next in line and it's a mandatory so has to be done unfortunately although how he is that high in the rankings is beyond me. Least it gets the mandatory out the way, course it will still be box office but it shouldn't be

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:04 pm

Not interested in that fight

AJ will crush takam

Pulev was an interesting fight on paper

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:17 pm

Wow I’ll be saving up for this

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 16 Oct 2017, 11:27 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Wow I’ll be saving up for this
When it comes to big Cardiff fight nights this is right up there with Calzaghe v Kessler, Robinson v Hamed, Lewis v Bruno and Winstone v Saldivar ain't it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:44 am

Back to Saturday night the thing hopefully Cox will have learned is that he doesn’t need to go hell for leather. He’s got a very good engine and can wear fighters down rather than blast them out. His inexperience told Saturday night but he’ll come back a better fighter

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3