The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
I'm never wrong
lostinwales
pedro
Galted
Duty281
JAS
Pal Joey
Mind the windows Tino.
superflyweight
ralphjohn69
westisbest
McLaren
incontinentia
Soul Requiem
JuliusHMarx
dynamark
beninho
super_realist
22 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Fri 22 Oct 2021, 9:42 am

First topic message reminder :

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Will Alec Baldwin go to jail for the manslaughter of that lady on the filmset under American law or is it considered an industrial accident?
Doesnt seem like he's in trouble just yet. How do you kill someone with a prop gun that fires blanks?

Edit: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/prop-gun-using-blanks-still-052227936.html

"As for the question of criminal responsibility, that’s for law enforcement to investigate. But it must be noted that in the vast majority of cases, the person who pulled the trigger wasn’t remotely at fault. They were handed a prop and assured it would function normally — and it didn’t."

Guns dont kill people, rappers do.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Wed 10 Nov 2021, 8:21 am

Duty281 wrote:Gerrard should absolutely get out of Rangers as soon as possible. A mid-table PL team will give him a far greater experience of management than battling for the Scottish title will. Better quality of player to coach, greater potential for recruitment, tougher opponents. I don't think it's automatic that he'll get the Liverpool job when Klopp goes, but managing Villa would serve him better than leading Rangers to beat the likes of Ross County and Motherwell week after week. Only slight benefit of staying with Rangers is getting guaranteed Europa League football.

Potter, who I really rate as a manager, had a different career trajectory and managed a different type of club to Gerrard, so it's difficult to draw comparisons.

I take it you’ve based that assertion based on your extensive knowledge of the Scottish game? Gerrard is getting invaluable experience. 1. The intensity of pressure to get a result in Old Firm games is more than any fixture in the Premiership. 2. Most of the other teams “park the bus” so he has to learn different ways to break that down. 3. The pressure to win every week is also intense, dropping points to the Motherwells & Ross County’s are considered failure. 4. When both the Old Firm are of a similar quality the title often goes to goal difference on the last day. 5. How many mid table premiership managers have been able, in the past 3 seasons to pit their wits against Porto, Benfica, Braga, Villareal, Galatasaray to name just a selection of the near 50 European games he’s had.
The point I was trying to make to Super is that the Scottish league IS different to the premiership, money is the main one but obviously that has major knock on implications. The standard is the standard but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good environment for an aspiring manager.
There is an acceptance amongst the Rangers support that Gerrard will move on at some point. I personally believe he will have set targets at Rangers and will not leave until those targets are achieved as that’s the kind of absolute focussed winner he is. 1 trophy out of 9 (12 counting Europe) is not enough. I think if he won 2 more titles and got through a CL group campaign his stock would rise hugely from where it is now. He’s done a great job so far but it’s very much unfinished business.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Wed 10 Nov 2021, 8:50 am

Soneone mentioned about mid table clubs attracting the managers, but Newcastle couldn't get Unai Emery from Villarreal.

Of Gerrard gets backed, and can get the club into the champs league group stages, that's better for him then getting villa 8th.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

beninho wrote:Soneone mentioned about mid table clubs attracting the managers, but Newcastle couldn't get Unai Emery from Villarreal.

Of Gerrard gets backed, and can get the club into the champs league group stages, that's better for him then getting villa 8th.

Villareal play in a big league, regularly play Champions League and have money and good players, contrast that with Rangers who are none of those things.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Nov 2021, 10:09 am

JAS wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Gerrard should absolutely get out of Rangers as soon as possible. A mid-table PL team will give him a far greater experience of management than battling for the Scottish title will. Better quality of player to coach, greater potential for recruitment, tougher opponents. I don't think it's automatic that he'll get the Liverpool job when Klopp goes, but managing Villa would serve him better than leading Rangers to beat the likes of Ross County and Motherwell week after week. Only slight benefit of staying with Rangers is getting guaranteed Europa League football.

Potter, who I really rate as a manager, had a different career trajectory and managed a different type of club to Gerrard, so it's difficult to draw comparisons.

I take it you’ve based that assertion based on your extensive knowledge of the Scottish game? Gerrard is getting invaluable experience. 1. The intensity of pressure to get a result in Old Firm games is more than any fixture in the Premiership. 2. Most of the other teams “park the bus” so he has to learn different ways to break that down. 3. The pressure to win every week is also intense, dropping points to the Motherwells & Ross County’s are considered failure. 4. When both the Old Firm are of a similar quality the title often goes to goal difference on the last day. 5. How many mid table premiership managers have been able, in the past 3 seasons to pit their wits against Porto, Benfica, Braga, Villareal, Galatasaray to name just a selection of the near 50 European games he’s had.
The point I was trying to make to Super is that the Scottish league IS different to the premiership, money is the main one but obviously that has major knock on implications. The standard is the standard but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good environment for an aspiring manager.
There is an acceptance amongst the Rangers support that Gerrard will move on at some point. I personally believe he will have set targets at Rangers and will not leave until those targets are achieved as that’s the kind of absolute focussed winner he is. 1 trophy out of 9 (12 counting Europe) is not enough. I think if he won 2 more titles and got through a CL group campaign his stock would rise hugely from where it is now. He’s done a great job so far but it’s very much unfinished business.

Hes reported as being interested in the Villa job and Villa intend to make a move this week, so who cares if you think he'll stay. It doesnt look like he will, and if it isnt Villa, it will be someone else.

His head has been turned and Scottish football is a selling environment and a feeder league to the likes of Southampton.

Only players and managers with no ambition stay in Scotland for more than 2-3 seasons.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 10 Nov 2021, 11:34 am

JAS wrote:

1) No it isn't.
2) Yes, that's the vast majority of Rangers' games. Their superior resources trying to break down some inferior side. Gerrard will come up against much more tactical diversity in the Premier League, plus he'll have to approach more games as an underdog.
3) Yes, because those are shocking teams who Rangers should be beating. It would be a different kind of pressure at Villa, but pressure nonetheless.
4) The last time this happened was 2003.
5) And how many Old Firm managers have been able to pit their wits against Klopp/Pep/Rodgers/Tuchel/Hassenhuttl/Potter/Arteta/Rafa/Ranieri/Conte/Bielsa? The chance of being able to do that is a lot better than playing a handful of European games every season...and Gerrard may still do that at Villa if they won a cup or finished high enough.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 10 Nov 2021, 11:35 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Soneone mentioned about mid table clubs attracting the managers, but Newcastle couldn't get Unai Emery from Villarreal.

Villareal play in a big league, regularly play Champions League and have money and good players, contrast that with Rangers who are none of those things.

Plus Newcastle aren't mid-table, they're heading for relegation.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 10 Nov 2021, 12:41 pm

Duty281 wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I actually think taking the Newcastle job would be a better job then Villa. Much lower starting point with much more money, so much potential to improve the club.

Villa, no matter how much I actually quite like them, is a dead end job. Not breaking the top 6, and can't compete with the ones who can.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 10 Nov 2021, 2:02 pm

It does indeed look like he’s going, unlike those on the other side of the city spouting bile when Brenda deserted them for Leicester, he’ll go with a big thank you from the vast majority of the Rangers support for getting Rangers back on their feet. Only slight confusion is the sentiments he was espousing when being mentioned for the Newcastle job (about how happy and settled he was)….doesn’t quite square with this apparent u- turn 2 weeks later. Maybe Purslow? May that it’s verging closer to commutable from his Liverpool home? Less of a goldfish bowl? Who knows? Personally I hope he does well at Villa, he’s certainly not shy and f taking on a challenge.

So who to Rangers then? According to TalkSPORT looks like he’ll take Michael Beale but no mention of McAllister

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 10 Nov 2021, 4:54 pm

All managers say they're happy. I dont recall any manager ever saying when asked by the media that he cant wait to get away and manage a better club, can you?

Its a logical step. He's going to have to have managed in better leagues to get close to his desire of managing Liverpool, and he wont get the skills he needs by managing in Scotland and beating Livingston or St Johnstone for another two years.

Rangers, like Celtic will struggle to get a good manager. Its always going to be someone with one eye on their next job using it as a leg up. Its just not an exciting proposition and Ugly Sisters fans have to get used to a merry go round of inexperienced and unheralded managers. Maybe some vile zombie like Barry FergusHUN will take over.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 10 Nov 2021, 9:35 pm

beninho wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
super_realist wrote:

I actually think taking the Newcastle job would be a better job then Villa. Much lower starting point with much more money, so much potential to improve the club.

Villa, no matter how much I actually quite like them, is a dead end job. Not breaking the top 6, and can't compete with the ones who can.

Dead end job. Think your on something.
If villa can’t compete with the top 6, can Newcastle?

We did pretty well against the top 6 last season.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 10 Nov 2021, 11:28 pm

The Newcastle money makes it a no win job to take, expectations will be too high so manager turnover will be high.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 7:02 am

Soul Requiem wrote:The Newcastle money makes it a no win job to take, expectations will be too high so manager turnover will be high.

I'd rather manage Villa than Newcastle. Might get my hands chopped off if i stole a Newcastle pen from the office.

Football made a parody of itself allowing that takeover. I dont want to hear another footballer mention BLM whilst ignoring the obvious elephant in the room.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 7:06 am

westisbest wrote:
beninho wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Dead end job. Think your on something.
If villa can’t compete with the top 6, can Newcastle?

We did pretty well against the top 6 last season.

I dont think the Villa job is another dead end job. He just has to improve them and take another step towards Liverpool.
In another few years there he might move to another club, get them in top 6 and then move to liverpool when he is around 47-48.
Im not a fan of Gerrard, but it looks good career progression to me and shows a long term outlook and ambition, something which wouldnt be true if he stayed at the Current Buns.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 10:32 am

Gerrard joins Villa.
Free black armband in todays Daily Record Jas?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 11 Nov 2021, 11:51 am

Yeah writing was on the wall last night, it's a big hole to be sure. If I'm honest when they announced him 3 & 1/2 years ago my initial reaction was AW NO!! I thought it was a crazy gamble as was Pedro before him. So the Rangers board have a history on wild gambles and they were lucky that the Gerrard one paid off and them some. I just hope that doesn't encourage them into another crazy flight of fancy because quite frankly they cant afford the next one to fail. I'd have loved to see Gerrard's Rangers in the CL playing at the standard they were playing at last year. Let's be honest they've dipped from last year and maybe he thinks he cant take them any further. Some might say that's a blight on his record. I don't think so but I do think he's left maybe a season and a half too early.

What nobody has mentioned yet is that if Villa have compensated Rangers for taking him, it might well help stabilise Rangers financial footing. Apart form coach Beale it'll be interesting to see who he thinks if good enough to take.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm

Rangers are skint, so it will be a cut price appointment.
Something like 25m loss last year, even 3 million compo wont touch the sides.

Would think they'd feel they have to sell in which case Tavernier, Jack, Kent, Kamara and that typical Hun Morelos (the poor mans El Hadj Diouf) will be off.

Not being around for any potential CL next year has probably saved Gerrards reputation. It would be a total bloodbath.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 11 Nov 2021, 1:07 pm

super_realist wrote:Rangers are skint, so it will be a cut price appointment.
Something like 25m loss last year, even 3 million compo wont touch the sides.

Would think they'd feel they have to sell in which case Tavernier, Jack, Kent, Kamara and that typical Hun Morelos (the poor mans El Hadj Diouf) will be off.

Not being around for any potential CL next year has probably saved Gerrards reputation. It would be a total bloodbath.

Well you can speculate how much of a bloodbath it would have been with impunity just as much as I can offer up that it wouldn’t have been. It is more likely to be now though as last years title winning side will get ripped apart and there won’t be a big name to lure replacements there. Let’s be honest there’s a few that wouldn’t be there had it not been Gerrard at the helm, Kent being the most obvious one.

All of a sudden Ross Wilson will now see a lot more pressure as they hunt for new young bargain basement players with potential.
Not liking some of the shortlist already
Van Bronkhorst? Possibly but a Gamble & what’s he actually done?
Martin? Has he been at Swansea long enough to even judge?
Lampard? Possible but probably another short term tenure if he’s successful he’d be straight back to the Prem without a 2nd thought
Terry? No, just No
Derek McInnes? See Terry above
Alex Neil? I did rate him in his early days when he first went south but he stumbled at Norwich and never really recovered

My preferred option would be Gary Mac but I suspect he’ll go with SG. Dunno about Defoe I suspect he’d go too.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 1:14 pm

Terry is absolute scum. Wouldn't go near him.

Perdonally id like tonsee the club change direction to get rid of that vile repuation for bigotry and cultishness, so someone with zero links to Rangers.

I think though that Rangers have to accept that every potential will see this as an opportunity to make a bit of a name. Just as theyre a selling/feeder club for players, the same is true of management.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 11 Nov 2021, 2:34 pm

super_realist wrote:Terry is absolute scum. Wouldn't go near him.

Perdonally id like tonsee the club change direction to get rid of that vile repuation for bigotry and cultishness, so someone with zero links to Rangers.

I think though that Rangers have to accept that every potential will see this as an opportunity to make a bit of a name. Just as theyre a selling/feeder club for players, the same is true of management.

I think the Club started to do that in 1986, where have you been? Obviously it's an ongoing battle but you cant say the club themselves haven't been trying. There are still some idiotic pockets of the support stuck in the late 17th century but it's a tiny and shrinking fragment of what it was like pre-Souness.

Looks like Van Bronckhorst emerging as the clear favourite. Having played under Advocaat, Wenger & Guardiola and managed Feyenoord to the Dutch title he should at least have some ideas. In many ways that's less of a gamble then Gerrard was.

Begs the question...why didn't Villa go for him??, surely a Dutch title is more prestigious than an SPL one

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 2:43 pm

JAS wrote:

I think the Club started to do that in 1986, where have you been? Obviously it's an ongoing battle but you cant say the club themselves haven't been trying. There are still some idiotic pockets of the support stuck in the late 17th century but it's a tiny and shrinking fragment of what it was like pre-Souness.

Looks like Van Bronckhorst emerging as the clear favourite. Having played under Advocaat, Wenger & Guardiola and managed Feyenoord to the Dutch title he should at least have some ideas. In many ways that's less of a gamble then Gerrard was.

Begs the question...why didn't Villa go for him??, surely a Dutch title is more prestigious than an SPL one

Yeah, so forward thinking that neither half of the OF are allowed to be photographed in a social situation with one another and managers are barred from having cars of the colours of the opposition.

Rangers must really hate having a green pitch and Charles Green.
So forward thinking and so desperate to move away from thepast that they had an orange away strip and anotjer with a sash on it. Purely provocation and only a couple of years ago.

Surely if they are trying to move away from a backward association, you just ditch anything orange or which can be described as a sash?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 11 Nov 2021, 4:09 pm

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

Yeah, so forward thinking that neither half of the OF are allowed to be photographed in a social situation with one another and managers are barred from having cars of the colours of the opposition.

So forward thinking and so desperate to move away from thepast that they had an orange away strip and anotjer with a sash on it. Purely provocation and only a couple of years ago.

Surely if they are trying to move away from a backward association, you just ditch anything orange or which can be described as a sash?

You mean like pander to the professionally offended that look for offence where there is none....are you feeling ok today?

Do you think Celtic and their support should boycott easyJet until they change their corporate colours??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Nov 2021, 4:15 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

You mean like pander to the professionally offended that look for offence where there is none....are you feeling ok today?

Do you think Celtic and their support should boycott easyJet until they change their corporate colours??

It is clearly provocative to the other zombie half of Glasgow.
Any grown up club would would not stoop to such infantile behaviour.

Easyjet arent orange due to Protestant links and provocation of their rivals.
The OF are so petty they used to have to have the same sponsor because the other half WOULD boycott that company. CR Smith and   Carling

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 11 Nov 2021, 10:00 pm

Jas

Why bother to defend all the OF nonsense? Two horrible fan bases and football not worth bothering about. There must be an EPL team you could follow?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 7:03 am

The tribalism in football is funny. The club dont care about you, so if its diminishing returns from a team, why care about them?

Football clubs must laugh at this blind loyalty, especially the Old Firm where they can continue to increase prices for a product which has declined in standard.

If a band becomes worse, a film series goes down the pan, your car gets faulty in reliability or even if a relationship declines, you move on, but football fans blindly follow something that doesnt even care about them as individuals. It treats you like mugs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 12 Nov 2021, 8:44 am

super_realist wrote:The tribalism in football is funny. The club dont care about you, so if its diminishing returns from a team, why care about them?

Football clubs must laugh at this blind loyalty, especially the Old Firm where they can continue to increase prices for a product which has declined in standard.

If a band becomes worse, a film series goes down the pan, your car gets faulty in reliability or even if a relationship declines, you move on, but football fans blindly follow something that doesnt even care about them as individuals. It treats you like mugs.

Laugh

That's almost poetic, it deserves to be printed in the programme notes for the first home game every season.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 12 Nov 2021, 8:51 am

McLaren wrote:Jas

Why bother to defend all the OF nonsense? Two horrible fan bases and football not worth bothering about. There must be an EPL team you could follow?
I’m not actually defending the O/F nonsense per se, for very personal reasons I detest the bigotry, what I’m finding curious is that in virtually every other debate around any form of discrimination Super is usually first in the queue to mock the professionally offended, yet here we find him pivoted 180 degrees. Did you hack his password or something??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 9:09 am

JAS wrote:

I’m not actually defending the O/F nonsense per se, for very personal reasons I detest the bigotry, what I’m finding curious is that in virtually every other debate around any form of discrimination Super is usually first in the queue to mock the professionally offended, yet here we find him pivoted 180 degrees. Did you hack his password or something??

Im certainly not offended Jas, just pointing out how backward Rangers and Celtic still are. These are the sort of clubs who dictated that managers cant have a blue car, who'll produce an away kit with a blatantly provocatove colour and design.
These are clubs who threw bananas at their OWN players, yet you're trying to give Rangers credit for "signing a Catholic"

You really cant blame Gerrard for using Rangers as a stepping stone, as the OF have been reduced to feeder clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 12 Nov 2021, 11:03 am

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

Im certainly not offended Jas, just pointing out how backward Rangers and Celtic still are. These are the sort of clubs who dictated that managers cant have a blue car, who'll produce an away kit with a blatantly provocatove colour and design.
These are clubs who threw bananas at their OWN players, yet you're trying to give Rangers credit for "signing a Catholic"

You really cant blame Gerrard for using Rangers as a stepping stone, as the OF have been reduced to feeder clubs.

Sounds like you’re still stuck in the early 80’s, it may have escaped you that rangers have had both Catholic Captains and Catholic Managers since your outdated opinion was originally formed. Who in the club threw bananas at their own players? It would be really helpful if you stopped making Poopie up to reinforce your anti Old Firm bile.

It’s also quite sad that non old firm fans take such great delight in the Old Firm being significantly weakened by the world of commercialism leaving Scottish football high & dry. You wound either or both the old Firm and you wound Scottish football, simple as that. It’s very much the case that the majority of Scottish clubs are so petty and parochial that they’d rather see the old firm persistently fail and Scottish football be in dire straights financially than the old firm be successful and breathe more life into Scottish football. You tend to illustrate that sentiment perfectly.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 11:19 am

You're tjebone who brought up 1986 as a watershed for Rangers but couldn't name anything else that showed they werent a knuckle dragging club.

Yoi have to ask why Scottish football is floundering whislt others are seen as a commecial success and flush with money.
Who's to blame for the product being rubbish? Not the investors.

If it was a good product, people would invest, so can you blame anyone but Scottish football for its parlous financial position?

Companies have tried, and failed because Scottish football is dire and doesnt interest people. Try looking closer to home as to why you have no money.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Nov 2021, 11:38 am

super_realist wrote:The tribalism in football is funny. The club dont care about you, so if its diminishing returns from a team, why care about them?

This is honestly one of the funniest things I've heard.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 11:54 am

[quote="beninho"]

Why? Why does a football club deserve 100% blind and unquestioning devotion when you wouldnt give it to anything else?

If a car company kept releasing a worse and worse model, youd stop buying it, why keep giving your money to a team which gets worse and worse?
Going to wheel out the tired "passion" line?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 12 Nov 2021, 11:59 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

Why? Why does a football club deserve 100% blind and unquestioning devotion when you wouldnt give it to anything else?

If a car company kept releasing a worse and worse model, youd stop buying it, why keep giving your money to a team which gets worse and worse?

If your mum gets old and senile and can't hold a sensible conversation or make a decent cup of tea, get her in the bin and get a new one.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:01 pm

I'm a football fan. I honestly don't think I have the same view of a car manufacturer, a tv show, or any other consumer product.

To me, its pretty simple, and it's probably pretty obvious to most fans. People don't stop supporting a team because they dip.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:07 pm

beninho wrote:I'm a football fan.  I honestly don't think I have the same view of a car manufacturer, a tv show, or any other consumer product.

To me, its pretty simple, and it's probably pretty obvious to most fans. People don't stop supporting a team because they dip.

Why not though, thats the question. Its loyalty beyond being reasonable.
Why show loyalty to a rubbish product? Football is a product like any other

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:07 pm

beninho wrote:I'm a football fan.  I honestly don't think I have the same view of a car manufacturer, a tv show, or any other consumer product.

Yeah but you’re not carrying any anti old firm baggage Ben so it is pretty simple as you say. Supers comments are hilarious as he clutches at straws to make a largely irrelevant point

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:07 pm

superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

If your mum gets old and senile and can't hold a sensible conversation or make a decent cup of tea, get her in the bin and get a new one.  

Your mother is a human being, not a business like a football club. What a ridiculous comparison

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:09 pm

JAS wrote:

Yeah but you’re not carrying any anti old firm baggage Ben so it is pretty simple as you say. Supers comments are hilarious as he clutches at straws to make a largely irrelevant point

Im talking about ANY club.
Why keep paying more and more money to support an ailing product? Nothing to do with the Ugly Sisters

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:09 pm

super_realist wrote:

Why not though, thats the question. Its loyalty beyond being reasonable.
Why show loyalty to a rubbish product? Football is a product like any other

And here was me thinking football was a sport, that must be where I’m going wrong, if only I’d consulted a marketing guru or an accountant they’d have put me right.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:17 pm

super_realist wrote:You're tjebone who brought up 1986 as a watershed for Rangers but couldn't name anything else that showed they weren't a knuckle dragging club.

There's clearly none as blind as those who just downright refuse to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX7abtLC7Ac

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:24 pm

People can have a hierarchy of what they are loyal to. People may cheat on their wife, but not on their football club.

Not everything in life needs to be totally rational. Football supporting isn't always a rational thing. But I'd much rather be a football fan then not though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:25 pm

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

Why keep paying more and more money to support an ailing product?  Nothing to do with the Ugly Sisters

Last edited by superflyweight on Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong quote)

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:52 pm

Exactly. Well put OK

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:57 pm

super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:

Your mother is a human being, not a business like a football club. What a ridiculous comparison

A football team plays a ball game on a big green pitch. A car drives on a road. What a ridiculous comparison.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:57 pm

superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

Why keep paying more and more money to support an ailing product?  Nothing to do with the Ugly Sisters

A football club plays a game on a big green pitch.  Your car drives on a road.  What a ridiculous comparison.  

Its not at all, im talking about blindly accepting without question a reduction in standards and quality.
What other aspects of your life other than a football team would anyone ever accept that?
Im not talking about results as all teams go on different levels, im talking about the standard of an entire league.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 12:58 pm

beninho wrote:People can have a hierarchy of what they are loyal to.  People may cheat on their wife, but not on their football club.

Not everything in life needs to be totally rational. Football supporting isn't always a rational thing.  But I'd much rather be a football fan then not though.

Really? Why?

If the standard of football dropped so much that you no longer enjoyed it, you'd still be a fan?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Nov 2021, 1:04 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:People can have a hierarchy of what they are loyal to.  People may cheat on their wife, but not on their football club.

Not everything in life needs to be totally rational. Football supporting isn't always a rational thing.  But I'd much rather be a football fan then not though.

Really? Why?

If the standard of football dropped so much that you no longer enjoyed it, you'd still be a fan?

Yep. If my team went non league, I'd still be a fan. I cant see any reason I wouldn't support the team I started following when I was 13/14 years old.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 12 Nov 2021, 1:06 pm

super_realist wrote:

Really? Why?

Depends how much you love the club you support.
What about fans of teams in the lower leagues. Am sure the standard of football has dropped, but they still go.
They support their team through the good times and the bad.
And yes I will use the word passion.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 12 Nov 2021, 1:18 pm

super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

A football club plays a game on a big green pitch.  Your car drives on a road.  What a ridiculous comparison.  

Its not at all, im talking about blindly accepting without question a reduction in standards and quality.
What other aspects of your life other than a football team would anyone ever accept that?
Im not talking about results as all teams go on different levels, im talking about the standard of an entire league.

Whether you understand or relate to it or not, most people don't approach their football club as a consumer product.

I'm a lapsed Celtic fan (ironically stopped caring about 4 or 5 years into the recent '9 in a row' run) and even when I did care to any great extent, can't claim that supporting them was a way of life, but for a lot of people (and communities) it is and comparisons to a car or another consumer product don't make a lot of sense.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 12 Nov 2021, 1:49 pm

Jas

Whether or not the clubs have players/managers of the opposing faith or what colour of car they are allowed to drive, is besides the point. The actual fans are still mostly scumbags when it comes to the OF. Maybe things seem more civilized among your middle class mates away from Glasgow and Scotland who support the OF, but this is not the story on the ground.

The tribalism and sectarianism is still very real if you actually spend time with the "lower class" fan. And it's not just the OF in Scotland, you go to any football ground in Scotland or pass the ground on matchday and it is full of pathetic behaviour.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 12 Nov 2021, 1:51 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Really? Why?

Yep. If my team went non league, I'd still be a fan. I cant see any reason I wouldn't support the team I started following when I was 13/14 years old.

You cant think of any reason? What if you no longer enjoyed it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next