The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond

+25
Recwatcher16
Oakdene
Margin_Walker
Rugby Fan
dummy_half
cb
mikey_dragon
Cumbrian
Yoda
hugehandoff
king_carlos
Sharkey06
TJ
Barney McGrew did it
BamBam
No 7&1/2
George Carlin
yappysnap
lostinwales
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
mountain man
doctor_grey
Poorfour
Sgt_Pooly
29 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond  - Page 13 Empty England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Continued......

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond  - Page 13 Empty Re: England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun May 28, 2023 1:18 pm

I'm bit non plusses by Malins performance. Didn't do anything I wouldn't expect from a good winger. Didn't look threatening ball in hand. Dropped an easy pass. I'm interested to see what Radwan can do albeit in 2 scratch sides. He's still someone who would provide us with a razor sharp cutting edge.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond  - Page 13 Empty Re: England 2023 - Post 6N and beyond

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Having watched the game yesterday you still picked Quirke? Two things there, one he regularly passed at the receiver's head which killed momentum a couple of times which was a shame as he clearly came on with the instruction to up the tempo (which he did) and he also clearly hurt his hand in the last few minutes and was lobbing one handed passes along the floor. He may well not be fit.

I'm not sure Farrell is the answer. Gus Warr was to quiet yesterday which was a shame as I thought it was a good chance for him to throw his hat in the ring. I'm not sure what side we'll start the world cup with but I'd like to see some of the following combinations tried in the friendlies.

Genge, George, Stuart
Martin, Itoje
T Curry, Mercer, Pearson
Warr, Ford
Kelly, Lawrence
Freeman, Steward, Watson

It may be that some of those don't work but I'd like to see something like that given a run out. All the backrow jump at the lineout which will help Borthwick's driving game, all the back three are good under the high ball, both wingers are good finishers and there's enough physicality in there to get us going over the gain line with more than a little guile as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 28, 2023 1:25 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'm bit non plusses by Malins performance. Didn't do anything I wouldn't expect from a good winger. Didn't look threatening ball in hand. Dropped an easy pass. I'm interested to see what Radwan can do albeit in 2 scratch sides. He's still someone who would provide us with a razor sharp cutting edge.

If you didn't see that then you didn't want to. Carved open the defence with some nice runs on at least three occasions. Made a miserable day for Aaron Reed by giving him an absolute schooling in the air. I had Malins down as man of the match.

Doesn't mean I necessarily want him starting for England as much like Farrell I think he's great at club level but maybe lacking something for international level.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun May 28, 2023 1:45 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:I'm bit non plusses by Malins performance. Didn't do anything I wouldn't expect from a good winger. Didn't look threatening ball in hand. Dropped an easy pass. I'm interested to see what Radwan can do albeit in 2 scratch sides. He's still someone who would provide us with a razor sharp cutting edge.

If you didn't see that then you didn't want to. Carved open the defence with some nice runs on at least three occasions. Made a miserable day for Aaron Reed by giving him an absolute schooling in the air. I had Malins down as man of the match.

Doesn't mean I necessarily want him starting for England as much like Farrell I think he's great at club level but maybe lacking something for international level.

Would love to see it. Saw him get it and kick get a lucky bounce and a bit lucky with the push. Saw him drop the ball. Saw him not back his pa e and cut inside. Roebuck looked the better winger.

Ford was pretty quiet yesterday wasn't he.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun May 28, 2023 1:59 pm

Barbarians v. 'Other Barbarians'.  Never know with these things but might be a fun watch.

edit: They must be doing this on the cheap - my stream has sound but no picture...

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 28, 2023 2:11 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

Would love to see it. Saw him get it and kick get a lucky bounce and a bit lucky with the push. Saw him drop the ball. Saw him not back his pa e and cut inside. Roebuck looked the better winger.

Ford was pretty quiet yesterday wasn't he.

Roebuck played well but was on the other side so had Maitland and then Daly who was very hit and miss. Taking Roebuck off was presumably injury related and if not was incredibly stupid. Sale definitely suffered with him going off.

Ford showed flashes but it felt like he was frustrated by Sale's inability to deliver. Two clean breaks for Manu (from a beauty of a pass from Ford) and Reed resulted in dropped/ripped balls which were kicked back for 50/22s and two well kicked pens deep into the Sarries 22 were lost at the lineout. It just felt that when they got momentum Sarries were able to shut it down. Duncan Taylor off the bench did a really good job racing out the line to shutdown Ford's passing outlet to the outside though he did show some neat footwork on those occasions to keep Sale going forward it was all a bit survival rather than actually hurting Sarries. Not the showing I was hoping for from him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 28, 2023 2:47 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Barbarians v. 'Other Barbarians'.  Never know with these things but might be a fun watch.

edit:  They must be doing this on the cheap - my stream has sound but no picture...

One thing of note so far is how well Radwan is doing on defence, made some good one on one tackles. A couple of nice touches in attack.

As I was typing that Radwan makes a wonder tackle on Nkosi to deny a try.

Great to see Nic Dolly running around and looking solid as well, more than 12 months since his last Prem game after the horror clearout up at Falcons, Jack Willis esque style injury.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun May 28, 2023 2:58 pm

Just checked and the picture is back. Yes, it's halftime, but it's a shame to see the stadium pretty empty. Even more of a shame considering the weather seems perfect. Great weather for a nice afternoon out.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun May 28, 2023 3:03 pm

Great gobs of fungus, Batman. Who designed the jerseys for the World team?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun May 28, 2023 3:05 pm

Alex Waller in the Baabaas? Freakin' great. Such a great club man with Saints.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun May 28, 2023 4:11 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Barbarians v. 'Other Barbarians'.  Never know with these things but might be a fun watch.

edit:  They must be doing this on the cheap - my stream has sound but no picture...

One thing of note so far is how well Radwan is doing on defence, made some good one on one tackles. A couple of nice touches in attack.

Great to see Nic Dolly running around and looking solid as well, more than 12 months since his last Prem game after the horror clearout up at Falcons, Jack Willis esque style injury.

As I've argued with everyone repeatedly his actual tackling is good...if theres an issue maybe its his positioning. But not his actual one on one tackling.

Haven't seen the game but heard he played well..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun May 28, 2023 4:24 pm

I'm surprised at the number of calls for uncapped players to start in the warm ups. I would be really surprised if Borthwick takes anyone in his final squad who doesn't at least have a couple of caps against tier 1 opposition. The RWC is not the place to experiment, even with talented prospects, and Borthwick strikes me as too measured a coach to roll the dice unless forced
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun May 28, 2023 4:52 pm

The calls have happened for a long time poor four not just due to one game.

Regardless of my bias as a falcon he SHOULD have been trialled previously...but the opportunity was missed...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun May 28, 2023 6:27 pm

Geordie wrote:

As I've argued with everyone repeatedly his actual tackling is good...if theres an issue maybe its his positioning.  But not his actual one on one tackling.

Haven't seen the game but heard he played well..

I presumed it was his lack of a kicking game that was hurting his chances that and he isn't particularly dominant aerially. The boring tactical bits that need to be sharp for the international game. I suspect it's why we haven't seen Murley in but Malins keeps getting games.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun May 28, 2023 6:38 pm

That may be correct Sam...it definitely isn't his first go to option.

And yes Murley is another rhat definitely should have had a look in. Malins is a poor man's Daly.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun May 28, 2023 6:42 pm

Didn't catch Barbarians game as on road all day, any good and anyone particularly catch the eye?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun May 28, 2023 7:48 pm

Yeah after watching the Baa Baas Radwan has to be in the England squad for the world cup let alone the wider squad. Made a couple of mistakes just after half time but does things no other of our wings can.

Nice to hear Folau get booed too.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun May 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Tidy. I've been a fan of his and been calling for his inclusion previously. Definitely has the pace needed.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon May 29, 2023 5:44 am

Radwan was great in a very odd game....he 100% should be involved somewhere, I would take him above Arundell on the bench.

Folau oozed class throughout, what a player he is. For all of the hype around Steward's skill in the air (I don't actually think he's as good as people suggest), Folau is just on a different planet. It's a shame we don't get to see much of him as he's a joy to watch on the rugby field.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon May 29, 2023 5:47 am

You really don't like him do you.....

Even Malins toughest critics should be able to admit how good he was in that game.....he really was the standout in the backs (along with Farrell).

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon May 29, 2023 6:52 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

Even Malins toughest critics should be able to admit how good he was in that game.....he really was the standout in the backs (along with Farrell).

Hes fine. Decent player. Just not international class.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 am

Not everything has to be about England.....sometimes we can just judge a player on the actual game he's playing. Malins had a fine game....as did Goode (who isn't Int class either).

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon May 29, 2023 7:11 am

Well fair enough. Its just in response to a suggestion about him for England on an England thread. If we're just talking about the game itself he was OK but the same issues I have with him as a winger show up but aren't as pronounced. He doesn't make good decisions 1 on 1, I don't feel if he gets the ball on the wing he's going to finish or cause real panic. Re the point that the issues don't show up as much when he got the ball wide this weekend he kicked through and scored a try...however the kick really was too long and he was too slow, he got away with it as Daly really is a bad defender and he managed to push someone just enough for them to lose balance but not enough for the tmo to properly think hmm. He doesn't scored that in many England games. He cut a nice line in the second half but that try is about Farrell being class.

Bar that he dropped an easy pass he should have taken, didn't cause issues with any of his kick chases.
To be fair in the second half on that break where again he didn't have the pace or footwork to finish he did crab and put in a great pass...but that still makes me think he's more of a fly half and not a top winger. So that's the detailed reasons of why I was a bit non plussed. I'd have roebuck ahead of him for England. I'd have daly ahead if him, and I'm not a huge Daly fan.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon May 29, 2023 8:26 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:

With you on this. I thought Malins was really good, again. I agree with 7.5 that for England he hasn't always convinced but to be honest last few years not many have. You cannot deny Malins has been simply superb for Saracens.

This then comes around to how does Borthwick now pick his RWC squad. If he goes on club form Malins has to be in there. Picking on reputation of past is wrong and has back fired too many times under Jones.

Again, I'll emphasize I'm not saying personally I'd start him but I'd be suprised if Borthwick doesn't have him in 23.

As for Folau, totally agree about his rugby ability. He was always brilliant to watch even as an opposition fan.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon May 29, 2023 12:01 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah after watching the Baa Baas Radwan has to be in the England squad for the world cup let alone the wider squad. Made a couple of mistakes just after half time but does things no other of our wings can.

Agree that Radwan does need to be in the England training squad.  This coaching staff needs to evaluate him for England because he offers something electric and different.  That said, one of his defensive mistakes led directly to a try, and was fairly basic.  So I am not convinced by any measure, but he has certainly earned his look.  Now, and this will help England, he has to take his chances.  I hope he does, but...

Regarding Folau, so frustrating.  Great player and had been fun to watch (especially against George North).  
That said, do intolerant people go to hell?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon May 29, 2023 1:24 pm

Only if you actually believe there is a heaven and hell. Most realise there's no such thing.

mountain man

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon May 29, 2023 5:21 pm

mountain man wrote:Only if you actually believe there is a heaven and hell. Most realise there's no such thing.
Well since some people still believe in heaven or hell, I have my pair of fire-proof pants just in case. But speaking metaphorically, if hell exists, it must be very big....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon May 29, 2023 5:26 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
mountain man wrote:Only if you actually believe there is a heaven and hell. Most realise there's no such thing.
Well since some people still believe in heaven or hell, I have my pair of fire-proof pants just in case.  But speaking metaphorically, if hell exists, it must be very big....      

Indeed and obviously after what I've just written I guess I must be heading there....

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 29, 2023 7:56 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah after watching the Baa Baas Radwan has to be in the England squad for the world cup let alone the wider squad. Made a couple of mistakes just after half time but does things no other of our wings can.

Agree that Radwan does need to be in the England training squad.  This coaching staff needs to evaluate him for England because he offers something electric and different.  That said, one of his defensive mistakes led directly to a try, and was fairly basic.  So I am not convinced by any measure, but he has certainly earned his look.  Now, and this will help England, he has to take his chances.  I hope he does, but...

Regarding Folau, so frustrating.  Great player and had been fun to watch (especially against George North).  
That said, do intolerant people go to hell?

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Both suggest so.

Even if you are intolerant at least have the good grace to keep your opinions to your self. Shame such a talented player doesn't have basic manners.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie, doctor_grey and carpet baboon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue May 30, 2023 7:14 am

Yeah well I tried loving my neighbour but her husband got all upset.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue May 30, 2023 7:20 am

Heaven exists. Its when Arundell picks the ball up from a pass on his own 5 metre line.

No 7&1/2

yappysnap and lostinwales like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue May 30, 2023 11:24 am

When is the preliminary England World Cup squad announced?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue May 30, 2023 11:40 am

Mr Bounce wrote:When is the preliminary England World Cup squad announced?
No confirmation yet but with the first warm up games in just over 2 months and the camp due to start imminently I'd be surprised if it isn't this week.

70 players have already been contacted to tell them to be available if called upon which is standard practice and numbers for the RWC with England. The Lions contact a similar size player pool.

With the finals done there are no more games to take into consideration before selection anyway. Plus that initial squad will likely be around 45 players plus any injury cover which will then be steadily whittled down until the final 33-man squad is chosen.

king_carlos

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue May 30, 2023 12:07 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Radwan was great in a very odd game....he 100% should be involved somewhere, I would take him above Arundell on the bench.

Folau oozed class throughout, what a player he is. For all of the hype around Steward's skill in the air (I don't actually think he's as good as people suggest), Folau is just on a different planet. It's a shame we don't get to see much of him as he's a joy to watch on the rugby field.

In all those recent games vs Australia Folau was just on another planet. He was the one guy guaranteed to give us a bad time. It is a healthy reminder that people are only very rarely all good or all bad and that all that talent can't hide the fact he has 'issues'.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue May 30, 2023 2:31 pm

Ireland have just released their squad, so think that makes us the last of the uk, Ireland teams? Must be imminent.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue May 30, 2023 3:43 pm

There's a lot of Theo Dan for England love among the pundits after this weekend. A couple had tipped him even before his performance in the final.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue May 30, 2023 5:00 pm

Harry Thacker also played well at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed himself.

I would not be surprised to see him as a potential 3rd hooker either.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue May 30, 2023 5:28 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:There's a lot of Theo Dan for England love among the pundits after this weekend. A couple had tipped him even before his performance in the final.

He was brilliant on Saturday and couldn't really have done much more to forward his case for inclusion.

mountain man

carpet baboon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 30, 2023 10:03 pm

Not sure we're going to see any uncapped hookers at this point. Walker, Blamire and McGuigan were all in the 6N at various points. Jamie George is definitely going and then LCD all depends on whether he's fit or not.

Theo Dan looks a certainty for post world cup inclusion. Needs to work on his scrum work, the Sarries scrum started to suffer after he came on.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue May 30, 2023 10:18 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Theo Dan looks a certainty for post world cup inclusion. Needs to work on his scrum work, the Sarries scrum started to suffer after he came on.

Not a surprise really. Jamie George is a proper breezeblock of a scrummaging hooker, and difficult to move. Does he even have a neck? Laugh Dan will definitely be in the wider squad. I'm not yet convinced for the final lot though.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed May 31, 2023 8:21 am

What’s the word on George’s fitness - I think he went off for a head injury but it was a straight replacement on the spot rather than an HIA so it must have been quite serious. There’s time for recovery but the time to recover from concussion can be very unpredictable. That could leave England without either of its experienced hookers. I still don’t expect that to open the door to an uncapped one, but it makes the situation more complex.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 31, 2023 10:56 am

He was unsteady so bypassed any HIA need on the pitch. Don't think that means that any concussion is of greater severity than one which is initially more subtle though. There are still a couple of places where Borthwick would be better served just getting some minutes for people in the warm ups, while balancing the need to get some momentum. I'd like to see Blamire get some time but both Borthwick and Jones seemed to not like what they've seen, don't know what that is tbh. So then it's the likes of Dan and Dolly who need that time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Theo Dan looks a certainty for post world cup inclusion. Needs to work on his scrum work, the Sarries scrum started to suffer after he came on.

Not a surprise really. Jamie George is a proper breezeblock of a scrummaging hooker, and difficult to move. Does he even have a neck? Laugh Dan will definitely be in the wider squad. I'm not yet convinced for the final lot though.

Yeah George, LCD and Blamire are almost prop sized. Mobile as well.

There's a chance Theo Dan might make the training squad but it's far from a certainty.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed May 31, 2023 2:23 pm

Poorfour wrote:What’s the word on George’s fitness - I think he went off for a head injury but it was a straight replacement on the spot rather than an HIA so it must have been quite serious.
It's rare to know straight away. He now has to go through return-to-play protocols. In the best case, he's available at the earliest opportunity, with no ill effects. Sometimes, though, there are lingering symptoms. For instance, Lawes was concussed against Leicester on the 24th of September 2022, and his next game was off the bench on the 10th of December.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 31, 2023 5:36 pm

Avert your eyes from this point if you're a LI, Wasps or Wuss fan but will it be beneficial for England some players if they manage to secure themselves certain moves? I'm just imagining a backrow of hill pearson and barbeary regularly lining up? Etc.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed May 31, 2023 5:39 pm

Is that the line up for physiotherapy as Barbeary can't string 2 games together.

mountain man

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 31, 2023 5:52 pm

Such a good player. So unlucky how injury seems to follow some players around. Given how he was at wasps without that he'd surely be in the team already. But should he get a run of games with those 2 may help them all?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 31, 2023 5:59 pm

The only thing I can see improving young players preparation for international rugby is a massive improvement in the quality of the Premiership. I don't think a 10 team league and continued ringfencing will do that. As we've seen losing the threat of relegation just produces too many dud games with woeful defence and low physicality. Not a recipe to succeed at international level.

There are still high quality games but too few of them. Far more games fall into the bracket of high scoring but a low standard.

Hill, Pearson and Barbeary wearing the same shirt isn't going to improve their progression if the Prems quality remains where it is, sadly. The academies are producing talent but it's stalling due to lack of standards across all league games forcing them to keep improving.

king_carlos

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 31, 2023 6:21 pm

Hmm. Not sure I agree still. The players are good enough. The coaches perhaps not.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:13 am

KC has a good point.

Yes 7.5, they may be good enough....but if top players are playing at a lesser standard for a prolonged period, their levels are going to drop off. The Prem has been dropping off slowly in quality for a few years now and it's very much reflected in the national side.

This is obviously a loose point, but we've not had a team in the Champions Cup final since 2020....pretty much the last time England were any good.

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next