The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond

+30
propdavid_london
Tramptastic
Scottrf
Cumbrian
WELL-PAST-IT
Recwatcher16
Mr Bounce
nlpnlp
Soul Requiem
broadlandboy
mikey_dragon
Collapse2005
king_carlos
Heaf
Oakdene
carpet baboon
dummy_half
Poorfour
hugehandoff
lostinwales
Yoda
Rugby Fan
Big
glaws
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
mountain man
No 7&1/2
Geordie
Sgt_Pooly
34 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond  - Page 5 Empty England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 08 Oct 2023, 11:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Carried on..............

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond  - Page 5 Empty Re: England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond

Post by lostinwales Sun 29 Oct 2023, 3:01 pm

Geordie wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Heaf wrote:Wow that surprised me

We scored 5 DG's - 4 more than any other team - and 19 penalties also 4 more than anyone else

Stats are interesting, our for and against point totals are almost exactly the same as SA (196-77 vs 195-79 for Eng)

Also we were one of 5 teams (with SA, Fr Ire Sc) to only give up a single card (OK it was a red, kind of) so discipline was infinitely better than it has been.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Rugby_World_Cup_statistics

God don't mention any positives....

Still a work in progress, still need wingers who can only chase kicks and occasionally tackle, still kick everything from everywhere, still can only attack via one off runners (christ I wish we could generate the kind of momentum Argentina could with their forwards, and it isn't like we don't have the talents to do so) and still have no idea as to what the centres do apart from kick and tackle.

But we are in a better place than we were

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond  - Page 5 Empty Re: England still winning the RWC at a canter - The quarter finals and beyond

Post by doctor_grey Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:36 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Geordie wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

We scored 5 DG's - 4 more than any other team - and 19 penalties also 4 more than anyone else

Stats are interesting, our for and against point totals are almost exactly the same as SA (196-77 vs 195-79 for Eng)

Also we were one of 5 teams (with SA, Fr Ire Sc) to only give up a single card (OK it was a red, kind of) so discipline was infinitely better than it has been.

Still a work in progress, still need wingers who can only chase kicks and occasionally tackle, still kick everything from everywhere, still can only attack via one off runners (christ I wish we could generate the kind of momentum Argentina could with their forwards, and it isn't like we don't have the talents to do so) and still have no idea as to what the centres do apart from kick and tackle.

I forget, but aren't we supposed to pass to the wingers a few times each game? Run

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 29 Oct 2023, 9:40 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Geordie wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I forget, but aren't we supposed to pass to the wingers a few times each game? Run

Pass to wingers? That is so old fashioned

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Tue 31 Oct 2023, 10:30 am

I think who plays on the wing is a bit of a side-show.  It is who plays 10 who is going to determine the way England's backs perform going forward.  If Farrell stays in the squad, he is going to play his kicking focused game and via his strong personality over-shadow any alternative as he has always done with Ford and lately Smith.  If Farrell stays in the squad then you have to go all in with him running the show - his way, or the highway (Ben Spencer, etc).  He is very fit, durable and will make the next World Cup aged 36 if Borthwick sticks with him.

One view is he has dragged a poorly performing England team to within 1 point of beating the world champions and finished top points scorer in the competition.  The alternative view is that he is the reason why England's backs look so impotent. Personally I think both are true and lets be honest you could substitute him for Handre Pollard in the South African team and they would still have won the world cup.  Unfortunately England don't have the forward power of South Africa, so personally I would move on from Farrell, however, I doubt Borthwick will whilst Farrell wants to play.

nlpnlp

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 31 Oct 2023, 11:11 am

The Farrell way will win some games but it isn't going to win fans

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 Oct 2023, 11:31 am

Neither does Sourh Africa's and yet they've the most successful ever....not always about style...

SA fans aren't complaining

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 31 Oct 2023, 11:55 am

Geordie wrote:Neither does Sourh Africa's and yet they've the most successful ever....not always about style...

All out attack is as crazy as only defend. SA can attack with their backs. Kolbe and Willemse have been very good. Kriel got a lot of plaudits. This only happens if they get the ball in their hands and do something with it. I also appreciate it is not that we can't. Earl's try vs Argentina was really good for instance. The point is that you need to master all aspects of the game even if you focus on a limited set of skills. You need a running game, or at least the threat of one, to make your kicking game really thrive. We did actually manage to pick a runner with huge potential with Arundell. He was definitely at fault for not working harder to get involved, but he wasn't exactly helped either and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him back for England for a while.

I just dearly hope the attack coach makes a difference because one of the greatest frustrations watching England over the RWC was doing all the hard work to get into the opposition 22 then choosing yet another maul as the attack option, getting stuck and handing the ball over. It became very predictable.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 31 Oct 2023, 1:32 pm

nlpnlp wrote:I think who plays on the wing is a bit of a side-show.  It is who plays 10 who is going to determine the way England's backs perform going forward.  If Farrell stays in the squad, he is going to play his kicking focused game and via his strong personality over-shadow any alternative as he has always done with Ford and lately Smith.  If Farrell stays in the squad then you have to go all in with him running the show - his way, or the highway (Ben Spencer, etc).  He is very fit, durable and will make the next World Cup aged 36 if Borthwick sticks with him.

One view is he has dragged a poorly performing England team to within 1 point of beating the world champions and finished top points scorer in the competition.  The alternative view is that he is the reason why England's backs look so impotent. Personally I think both are true and lets be honest you could substitute him for Handre Pollard in the South African team and they would still have won the world cup.  Unfortunately England don't have the forward power of South Africa, so personally I would move on from Farrell, however, I doubt Borthwick will whilst Farrell wants to play.

I don't think Farrell is driving how the team is playing tbh. We saw with Smith, Ford and Farrell that we have now a clearly defined style implemented a lot since 2020 under Jones and properly ramped up under Borthwick. Farrell is more than able to play a lot looser but you don't go against your coach and expect to remain in the team.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 Oct 2023, 1:51 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Geordie wrote:Neither does Sourh Africa's and yet they've the most successful ever....not always about style...

All out attack is as crazy as only defend. SA can attack with their backs. Kolbe and Willemse have been very good. Kriel got a lot of plaudits. This only happens if they get the ball in their hands and do something with it. I also appreciate it is not that we can't. Earl's try vs Argentina was really good for instance. The point is that you need to master all aspects of the game even if you focus on a limited set of skills. You need a running game, or at least the threat of one, to make your kicking game really thrive. We did actually manage to pick a runner with huge potential with Arundell. He was definitely at fault for not working harder to get involved, but he wasn't exactly helped either and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him back for England for a while.

I just dearly hope the attack coach makes a difference because one of the greatest frustrations watching England over the RWC was doing all the hard work to get into the opposition 22 then choosing yet another maul as the attack option, getting stuck and handing the ball over. It became very predictable.
I just don't believe any coach at this level will not focus on developing an attack.

I see the telegraph had put forward their ream for the 6n.

1 Gemge
2 Dan
3 Stuart
4 Itoje
5 Chessum
6 Martin
7 Curry
8 Earl

9 Mitchell
10 Farrell
11 Daly
12 Kelly / Atkinson
13 Lawrence
14 Roebuck
15 Steward

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Tue 31 Oct 2023, 4:31 pm

It really depends as to what sort of game and tactics Borthers will employ? We surely have to move on from the zero attack and zero risk approach to date. The Quins approach is probably too risky, but maybe the Sarries of last season could work, after all they did win the premiership. They had more attack and off loading than ever seen before.

Could be a bit like a Lions series....do you choose the tactics first and then the best players to execute that or select the best players and then choose the best tactics to suit them? History favours the latter, but always with sensible elements of the first approach. So maybe just select the best player in each position and develop your approach from then. We should have an Evolution rather than a Revolution with a gradual change of players as and when the new players are at least matching the incumbents for form. Favour youth only when as or almost as good as the older player. Chucking young players into France away in Lyon in the 6Ns won't work. Nor will it at Murrayfield. We need to play our best team and try to win a grand slam and then only introduce new players when ready. Luckily we do have a few already with Martin and Chessum looking good. Otherwise we retain Marler/Genge and then look at VRR who could be great. Tighthead remains a massive concern as does 12. Fingers crossed.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 31 Oct 2023, 4:44 pm

May confirms his retirement then. One of the first U20s stars when that pathway was taken seriously. Some of his early tries there were stunning individual efforts. Unlike so many age grade stars, particularly ones standing out by being gifted athletes, May didn't fade away though. He worked as hard as any to round out the rough edges in his game and become a fantastic winger. At his peak he was world class and usually the fastest on the pitch. That individual effort against the ABs will always be a standout.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 31 Oct 2023, 4:54 pm

I reckon Daly may well slot into 13 in the Six Nations. His tackling and defence generally in recent years has been excellent at club and international level. High completion and a number of big hits. Good positioning in difficult positions too. I'd be happy seeing him there outside Lawrence. It's a similar balance to Manu and Marchant throughout the RWC. Based on Lawrence's performances with Bath and Daly's with Sarries prior to injury I'd say they were the best performing English centres in the Prem last season by a distance. For what that's worth anyway.

I really rate Curtis Langdon who hasn't been mentioned much. Excited to see him back in the Prem with Saints. It will be interesting to see if he can keep the starting shirt from the massively improved Sam Matavesi when the Fijian returns.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 31 Oct 2023, 7:49 pm

I think Daly will depend on how Kèlly and Atkinson are going...or indeed if another 12 is standing out.

If that's the case it could well be a new 12, Lawrence at 13 and Daly at 11...with a new winger at 14..

I think there's space for the 3rd hooker spot. Clearly Geroge is going nowhere yet, and they've earmarked Theo Dan as one they see as the future. So that 3rd spot is wide open...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 01 Nov 2023, 9:02 am

Dan and Walker didn't look to be exactly trusted did they. They may well just go with the 2 hookers in the squad a lot of the time as Jones tended to do.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Nov 2023, 11:36 am

Dan got the start against Chile and Argentina. As well as the warmup against Fiji. I'd say he was trusted more than Walker in the Six Nations. He had some good moments too and is very dynamic in the carry. Held up OK in the scrum in the Argentina game too against Montoya who's a very powerful scrummager. He's talented.

He clearly has work ons though. That really poor bit of defence against Argentina stuck out immediately. Similar with Rodd who missed a few tackles and was notably of the pace slightly defensively when he came on in the playoff. I mentioned it during the match, it's interesting when fringe players get game time and things like that immediately stand out so obviously.

Had he come on with 20 minutes left and made a mistake such as that in a bigger game then it would have a much bigger negative effect for Dan as a player as well as the team. I think it's possible for a player to be the next best option but also a long way off the starter and desired standard. Not overexposing a player in that circumstance without having to isn't a problem for a me at all.

With the lack of hooker I do have some sympathy for Jones. Hartley and George were so far ahead of the competitors. Then once LCD sorted his lineout throwing, George and LCD were so far ahead. Even the current Boks, who have the best tight five depth I've ever seen, have only really developed two hookers. As seen in this RWC. Mbonambi and Marx are just so far ahead of the next best. Dweba is a beast in the loose but clearly not that trusted in the lineout. He's had 6 apps, 4 starts and they decided to callup the unused Lukhanyo Am instead of Dweba and just keep using Fourie as a makeshift bench option.

When it comes to hooker I think we only really see teams have three strong options if they have a stalwart just clinging on (Dane Coles currently or Schalk Brits in 2019) or a third option so talented that they come ready made from club rugby. Bourgarit being a good example of the latter. He's had relatively few caps considering he was first capped 5 years ago. His only starts have been the covid ANC final where France rotated, the warmup vs Scotland and the Uruguay game after Marchand got injured. Due to Guirado and Marchand, then Marchand and Mauvaka he hasn't been needed. For many nations he'd be challenging as a starter though. Just ludicrous depth but it's more come from the strong French system rather than Galthie developing him with France.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Nov 2023, 12:03 pm

Geordie wrote:I think Daly will depend on how Kèlly and Atkinson are going...or indeed if another 12 is standing out.

If that's the case it could well be a new 12, Lawrence at 13 and Daly at 11...with a new winger at 14..

I think Lawrence might be better suited to 12 at international level. He hasn't got the power of Aki, Danty or de Allende obviously but is still a good carrier. International 13s now tend to either be brilliant defensive generals and/or have very good passing and kicking games. Neither of which is really how Lawrence profiles.

There's also the NZ and Fiji method of a converted winger at 13. Both Reiko and Nayacalevu are freak athletes who took time to covert to outside centre as well though. Nayacalevu also started relatively early at club level in the Top 14. They basically run winger support lines but from the outside centre channel.

12.Kelly, Atkinson
13.Lawrence

That just looks to me like it wouldn't be that strong defensively or have that much bite in attack. Kelly and Atkinson are talented and developing their passing and kicking games but neither are close to being at the level to trouble international defences as distributors. Likewise they are solid carriers but 12s that make yards at international level are far more powerful.

To me Lawrence looks more like a potential 12 when I look at the type of players generally succeeding in the international game. Then someone such as Will Joseph could potentially develop the skills that 13s often have now.

Maybe it's a boring way of looking at things but when the weakened Prem is such a poor indication of international potential I tend to look at how players in those position are generally profiling at international level. Then compare where the young English talents are in comparison. Radwan is a good example. He's excellent with space of course, solid in the tackle but not great under the high ball and has a very limited kicking game. When I look at international wingers with a similarly poor kicking game and high ball work they are only the likes of Duhan and Koroibete. Freaks in contact that can break tackles as often as the best number 8s. Even someone with the attacking potential of Caleb Clarke has been dropped again and again by NZ because he has very similar limitations to Radwan. That doesn't mean Radwan can't improve the weaker aspects. Many do. May certainly did. More recently LRZ has done so too. When I struggle to find a player in the same position succeeding in international rugby with similar weaknesses to a young talent it does set alarm bells off for me though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 01 Nov 2023, 12:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:Dan got the start against Chile and Argentina. As well as the warmup against Fiji. I'd say he was trusted more than Walker in the Six Nations. He had some good moments too and is very dynamic in the carry. Held up OK in the scrum in the Argentina game too against Montoya who's a very powerful scrummager. He's talented.

He clearly has work ons though. That really poor bit of defence against Argentina stuck out immediately. Similar with Rodd who missed a few tackles and was notably of the pace slightly defensively when he came on in the playoff. I mentioned it during the match, it's interesting when fringe players get game time and things like that immediately stand out so obviously.

Had he come on with 20 minutes left and made a mistake such as that in a bigger game then it would have a much bigger negative effect for Dan as a player as well as the team. I think it's possible for a player to be the next best option but also a long way off the starter and desired standard. Not overexposing a player in that circumstance without having to isn't a problem for a me at all.

With the lack of hooker I do have some sympathy for Jones. Hartley and George were so far ahead of the competitors. Then once LCD sorted his lineout throwing, George and LCD were so far ahead. Even the current Boks, who have the best tight five depth I've ever seen, have only really developed two hookers. As seen in this RWC. Mbonambi and Marx are just so far ahead of the next best. Dweba is a beast in the loose but clearly not that trusted in the lineout. He's had 6 apps, 4 starts and they decided to callup the unused Lukhanyo Am instead of Dweba and just keep using Fourie as a makeshift bench option.

When it comes to hooker I think we only really see teams have three strong options if they have a stalwart just clinging on (Dane Coles currently or Schalk Brits in 2019) or a third option so talented that they come ready made from club rugby. Bourgarit being a good example of the latter. He's had relatively few caps considering he was first capped 5 years ago. His only starts have been the covid ANC final where France rotated, the warmup vs Scotland and the Uruguay game after Marchand got injured. Due to Guirado and Marchand, then Marchand and Mauvaka he hasn't been needed. For many nations he'd be challenging as a starter though. Just ludicrous depth but it's more come from the strong French system rather than Galthie developing him with France.

Well precisely; Chile and a 3rd place game no one really cares about. Along with the games George did start, he either played the vast majority or the entirety of the match. As you say compared to the 6Ns thats what paints the picture to me of a lack of trust. I just envisage George and LCD to continue to be heavily used under Borthwick when available and others sidelined. I do understand the timidity in giving him more time of course, adn that's what paints my prediction towards the 6Ns and beyond too.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Nov 2023, 1:06 pm

If George and LCD are available and playing well I'd pick them. They're by a distance England's best in the position. As shown above that's very common at hooker. Mbonambi and Marx, Marchand and Mauvaka, Montoya and Creevy. Most sides have two hookers than a big drop in experience to the third option. Unless they've got a stalwart in their twilight clinging on.

Given your biggest whinge under Jones was him not prioritising the next game and trying to build something for the RWC it is rather amusing that one of the your biggest whinges with Borthwick is him picking experienced options aimed at winning the match at hand rather than building depth for a few years down the line though.

It's almost like you've developed a predisposition to complaining about anything possible...

king_carlos

Soul Requiem likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 01 Nov 2023, 1:45 pm

So like, I said they may well go with 2 hookers. Talking about developing a predisposition you obviously remember the several times I've said to be coach of a big national team means you have to win the next games while constantly developing. So yes, Borthwick needs to win the Italy game, but to pack it completely with experience means that he risks losing games down the line if there's suddenly a load of players picked who can't be trusted (and know it). The comment about him not considering a 3rd hooker from those stated wasn't even a criticism of Borthwick merely a consideration of what he may do in his squad.

I don't rate Borthwick that much is true, but I hope they manage to keep him as a lineout coach when he goes.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 01 Nov 2023, 1:47 pm

Sam Underhill is a bit of conundrum. Too many head knocks meant his career seemed over. His exclusion from the initial World Cup squad looked like a sign the baton was passing.

Then he had a stormer against Argentina, and makes you wonder what he might have done if he'd come on instead of Billy Vunipola against the Boks.

He's 27, which is two years younger than Lewis Ludlow, who captained England in 2021. He's also half a year younger than Lewis Ludlam, and only a year older than Dombrandt, Mercer and Jack Willis. Ben Earl and the Curry twins are 25, while Tom Willis and Tom Pearson are 24, so they are all similar ages, with the George Martin, Barbeary and the Chessum brothers a bit younger.

It's always tempting to move on to the next bright young thing, so it was convenient to disregard Underhill, and look to see who else would step up. Maybe he's still one of our best players, and worth a starting spot.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 01 Nov 2023, 2:00 pm

The thing with Underhill is whether he can get and stay fit for any length of time. When he's there he is undoubtedly very good, and seems to operate well in tandem with Tom Curry. Young enough to be kept in and around the team if he can avoid injury, but that's a big if.

Better than other options at 7? Probably at the moment. His performance against Argentina was undoubtedly that of someone thinking he needed to prove himself, completely the antithesis of Billy's performance in the semi-final.

I like Ludlam as a bench option for the back row as he seems able to put in a 7/10 performance every game across all three positions, I'm just not convinced he has that special X factor. Reminds me a bit of Robshaw - does lots of stuff well, makes few mistakes but nothing obvious to make him stand out.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Wed 01 Nov 2023, 3:53 pm

This season at Bath I would be hopeful that the injury lists will be much lower than recent seasons, which means the flanker role will be shared by Underhill with Reid, Cloete and Bayliss and with a bit of luck Underhill can avoid a heavy workload. It does remain the case though when Underhill puts in a big tackle, the crowd waits to see if he gets up again....

Recwatcher16

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 01 Nov 2023, 4:18 pm

I think World Rugby will extend waist-high tackling to the Pro game over the summer (and the only reason they didn’t do it earlier was the RWC itself). If that happens, then attack and defence will change - offloading will be easier, so there will be more opportunities for a team to play against a disorganised defence.

If that does happen, how would it affect the England team you’d want to see and the one that you think will get selected?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 Nov 2023, 6:14 pm

Interesting hypothetical there, Poorfour.

In attack the immediate thought is runners who can get their hands free. So taller, more powerful wingers could certainly be helped. Cokanasiga, Freeman, OHC, Roebuck types. Steward might be aided by it when running crash ball lines.

Dombrandt could theoretically be helped by it as he's shown very good offloading against the poorer Prem defences. He'd also theoretically be helped by moving like he has functioning legs whilst playing a Six Nations game though.

Shorter wingers in that Kolbe and Arendse mould with good footwork will be very hard to tackle without slipping high as well. Murley. Radwan. Arundell is a bit taller but has great footwork and pace.

Tacklers who are naturally powerful when hitting low would also be helped though. Martin, Underhill and Ludlam come to mind immediately for the forwards there.

Maybe LCD too? It amazes me that those kamikaze chop tackles don't get penalised for no arms but the ruling seems to be that if the arm is "up" so in a position where it could possibly wrap that it's OK. If he's not getting penalised doing it then they are very effective. He needs to just get on the pitch for Sale first though.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 01 Nov 2023, 8:28 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Geordie wrote:I think Daly will depend on how Kèlly and Atkinson are going...or indeed if another 12 is standing out.

I think Lawrence might be better suited to 12 at international level. He hasn't got the power of Aki, Danty or de Allende obviously but is still a good carrier. International 13s now tend to either be brilliant defensive generals and/or have very good passing and kicking games. Neither of which is really how Lawrence profiles.

12.Kelly, Atkinson
13.Lawrence

That just looks to me like it wouldn't be that strong defensively or have that much bite in attack. Kelly and Atkinson are talented and developing their passing and kicking games but neither are close to being at the level to trouble international defences as distributors. Likewise they are solid carriers but 12s that make yards at international level are far more powerful.

To me Lawrence looks more like a potential 12 when I look at the type of players generally succeeding in the international game. Then someone such as Will Joseph could potentially develop the skills that 13s often have now.

I do understand your argument for Lawrence at 12..I think he's a puzzle. It will all depend who stands out.  Atkinson or Kelly at 12 or a young 13..like Joseph as you mentioned.  I still think Daly will remain as Wing...rotating with Steward etc as and when. God knows what will happen with Smith.

But just because NZ do it or Fij8 do it is not always the reason for us to do it.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 01 Nov 2023, 8:30 pm

Poorfour wrote:I think World Rugby will extend waist-high tackling to the Pro game over the summer (and the only reason they didn’t do it earlier was the RWC itself). If that happens, then attack and defence will change - offloading will be easier, so there will be more opportunities for a team to play against a disorganised defence.

If that does happen, how would it affect the England team you’d want to see and the one that you think will get selected?

I think the question would he how would that affect rugby as a whole...and I believe it would kill it.

And the maul would become extinct...bar the odd one off a lineout

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Nov 2023, 7:27 am

Geordie wrote:
Poorfour wrote:I think World Rugby will extend waist-high tackling to the Pro game over the summer (and the only reason they didn’t do it earlier was the RWC itself). If that happens, then attack and defence will change - offloading will be easier, so there will be more opportunities for a team to play against a disorganised defence.

I think the question would he how would that affect rugby as a whole...and I believe it would kill it.

I think you’ve got that very much the wrong way round. If anything will kill the game, it’s failing to act to prevent head injuries.

As the RWC showed, none of the other measures that have been tried have prevented there being multiple instances of head contact during every game. How many games this year finished without a yellow card? How many of those *should* have been red?

The waist tackle rule is designed to create a clear separation between the tackler’s head and the ball carrier’s in high force situations. The evidence from the community game in France, where the changes have been in force for several years, is that it’s working.

I also don’t think it will kill the maul. A powerful enough player who can stay on their feed can still become the focus for a maul - but they’re more likely to offload. An attacking maul anywhere other than a lineout is already a rarity anyway (as opposed to a choke tackle maul designed to let the defence win the ball back, which I think has become too easy a tactic; refs are calling maul too early and before a second attacker has joined, which doesn’t meet the definition of a maul).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 02 Nov 2023, 8:02 am

I'd not seen anything to say that the waist high tackles were coming into the pro game and at international level. Is that confirmed or just rumour and as a trial? That would vastly alter the defences of everyone. So obviously need another 10 months working on that before we can think about attack Sad

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Nov 2023, 8:21 am

Poorfour wrote:
Geordie wrote:

I think you’ve got that very much the wrong way round. If anything will kill the game, it’s failing to act to prevent head injuries.

As the RWC showed, none of the other measures that have been tried have prevented there being multiple instances of head contact during every game. How many games this year finished without a yellow card? How many of those *should* have been red?

The waist tackle rule is designed to create a clear separation between the tackler’s head and the ball carrier’s in high force situations. The evidence from the community game in France, where the changes have been in force for several years, is that it’s working.

I also don’t think it will kill the maul. A powerful enough player who can stay on their feed can still become the focus for a maul - but they’re more likely to offload. An attacking maul anywhere other than a lineout is already a rarity anyway (as opposed to a choke tackle maul designed to let the defence win the ball back, which I think has become too easy a tactic; refs are calling maul too early and before a second attacker has joined, which doesn’t meet the definition of a maul).

Oh i agree the current set up is killing the game already...the total inconsistency of reds and yellows has turned the game into a mockery. And the safety of players is the number one priority...but it just concerns me where we're gonig with all the laws. I know people who are already losing interest...and it may drive more away from the game....dare io say it to the dark side...League!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Thu 02 Nov 2023, 10:36 am

I tried to watch some league last week , Eng Tonga, but it was dull. I like playing league but can't watch it. The miniscule crowd for the international is probably a good snap shot of interest in the country. We are more likely to miss out to football or other sports, however some family members who are season ticket holders for a local football team have become disillusioned with Wendy ball. 

I think rugby is going through a mid life crisis of identity and will eventually calm itself down. As for the French game seeing less head injuries I would have to see the data as I'm not sure that the tackle is the be all and end all of the injury prevention solution. Rucks and training ground incidents are a significant problem.

The question I have about head injuries and the current crop of ex players suing their respective unions is, how much did club training regimes contribute to repeated head knocks? When I was young and fairly handy I played for three semi pro teams and I noticed that the higher up you played the more full contact beasting sessions you had to do. There was a perception that you would be undercooked going into a Saturday if you hadn't had a decent contact session. The 'sport science' employed was laughable and made worse by the adoption of ice baths. Quick ice bath and you're good to go again for another full contact session. The amounts of injuries I saw happening was mind blowing and players accepted they would get strapped up and pop a few strong pain killers before playing on a Saturday. No wonder players are suffering now.

Hopefully rugby is catching up with sport science and clubs are not putting their players through the grinder as I'm convinced recovery time is the most important factor with brain injuries. Trouble is we will not be able to see if these preventative measures are working until we've had another generation coming to the end of their playing days.

As for tackle heights, it's always been illegal to tackle high so I don't know what the fuss is when someone gets carded. Tackle low- like we've been taught since the age of 6!

Yoda

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 02 Nov 2023, 11:36 am

Also can I just add that PSdT put in 28 tackles in the WC final a lot of them very dominant and not once did he come close to getting a yellow for a high hit.
Estabeth absolutely cut Richie M in half with a perfect waist high hit at pace.
It is entirely possible to make "BIG" hits in rugby perfectly legally.
Can't stand the "games gone soft" brigade or even worse "let the boys play" simpletons when it comes to tackle hight.

carpet baboon

lostinwales and Big like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Nov 2023, 11:46 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I'd not seen anything to say that the waist high tackles were coming into the pro game and at international level. Is that confirmed or just rumour and as a trial? That would vastly alter the defences of everyone. So obviously need another 10 months working on that before we can think about attack :(

I've seen no official confirmation, but I think it's inevitable given it's already in globally at every level below pro and that the card system demonstrably isn't working. It's also not sustainable to have two different sets of rules, especially when the evidence is that the highest incidence of head injuries is occurring on the boundaries between amateur and pro level - top level university and youth rugby. If those players come through the age grades waist tackling and then are asked to adapt to a different set of rules as they transition to playing the professional game, the outcome will not be good.

It's a guess that it will come in over the summer (and without a trial - WR has spent 7 years gathering evidence and deciding what the best option is, although they've communicated that badly), but I think it was only delayed because implementing it immediately ahead of the RWC would have been chaos.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Nov 2023, 11:55 am

carpet baboon wrote:Also can I just add that PSdT put in 28 tackles in the WC final a lot of them very dominant and not once did he come close to getting a yellow for a high hit.
Estabeth absolutely cut Richie M in half with a perfect waist high hit at pace.
It is entirely possible to make "BIG" hits in rugby perfectly legally.
Can't stand the "games gone soft" brigade or even worse "let the boys play" simpletons when it comes to tackle hight.

It is - but it is hard for even the best players to get upright tackles consistently right and safe. For instance, Etzebeth arguably shouldn't even have been on the pitch after his tackle on Atonio in the QF - if it had been adjudged the same way Farrell's near identical one was, he'd have been in tackle school.

There are big men whose tackle technique is spot on - PSDT is one, Lawes was another (though he went right up to the edge of what's permissible in terms of timing, he almost never went past the line. Except that one time by the length of his foot...) - but players who go in expecting to hit shoulder to shoulder will inevitably make mistakes, regardless of how good they are.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 02 Nov 2023, 1:03 pm

And isn't that the whole point of the lower tackle hight? So players have to go lower knowing if they choose to go shoulder to shoulder it will be a penalty and possible a card.

There will still be accidents when it's impossible to react quick enough, but it will make it clearer when a player chooses to go high

carpet baboon

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 02 Nov 2023, 3:15 pm

Telegraph reports Rob Baxter's views on English scrummaging.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/11/02/england-scrum-world-cup-rob-baxter-marler-cole-exeter/

England were “found out” at the World Cup, with years of scrummaging neglect requiring a cultural “sea change” in this country, Exeter’s Rob Baxter has warned.

Steve Borthwick’s side were beaten 16-15 by eventual champions South Africa in the semi-final earlier this month, having conceded a stream of set-piece penalties after Joe Marler and Dan Cole, their starting props, were replaced.

Asked about the prospects of Ehren Painter, who arrived at Exeter from Northampton Saints this season, Baxter launched into an extended observation on how the scrum has been refereed in the Premiership, as well as how that area of the game is covered by media.

Painter, 25, represented England against the Barbarians in 2019. The tighthead prop helped force a pushover penalty try for Exeter against Sale Sharks last weekend and Baxter saluted his influence before confronting wider issues.

“Ehren’s been fantastic,” Baxter said. “He’s a guy who’s working exceptionally hard and getting his rewards for being part of an eight that are going well and buying into things together. Without a doubt, it’s going to be hard not to see him as one of the top scrummaging tightheads in the Premiership. Let’s see what happens.

“We’ve probably got to make a sea change as a sport that we all need to be talking about the scrum being a big part of the game and not a hindrance. Without doubt, we’ve forced a situation, whether it’s been TV or media, where we don’t want scrums. Potentially, we’ve been found out for it now when we’ve got to the international stage.

“We don’t have to try to force referees to make a decision at every single scrum. You do that, and you start getting props rewarded for just trickery, really. That’s got to stop. If you want to develop scrummaging props, we have to start deciding that we like scrums, that we want them to be a big contest, that we want them to happen.

“I thought our referee against Sale [Joe James] refereed them really, really well. He allowed re-sets to happen when they should have been re-sets. That meant there was a really, really good scrummaging contest. He made decisions on what was actually happening rather than rushing into decisions that didn’t have to be made. If we can work towards that, we’ll see a growth of scrummaging props. But we won’t get it [otherwise].”

The Rugby Football Union recently staged its inaugural camp for promising tight-five forwards, in part to accelerate the development of potential internationals, and Baxter believes the selection of Marler and Cole to face the Springboks was another indication of England being left behind by other nations.

“When you get rewarded for not scrummaging, which has been happening for quite a few years, you’re not going to develop scrummaging props,” Baxter added. “When you look at how England needed to go back to two senior props, who used to be rewarded for scrummaging, you can see how different things need to be.

“That’s all of us as a game. Media play a part as well. If you’ve got someone on the TV who’s moaning every time there’s a scrum, that doesn’t make anybody think scrums are good. That isn’t how you develop scrummaging props, by complaining every time there is a scrum.

“In France and South Africa, they love seeing scrums. They are highlights of the game. That’s why they develop props. It doesn’t happen by accident. It happens because the whole game is focused on it. That takes pressure off the referees to make snap decisions. We are so geared towards thinking that ball-in-play creates great rugby that we are shooting ourselves in the foot. We’ve got to re-adapt.”

Baxter will ensure that props at Exeter are left in no doubt as to their chief responsibilities.

“You put things in priority,” he added. “The priorities are maybe set-piece, then maybe defence, then clear-out skills. If they go all the way through to being a guy who can run a try in from 50 metres, fantastic, but that isn’t going to be priority number one. That’s going to be a long way down the list.

“I would think that if you looked at the props playing for South Africa, are those the distributors and midfield steppers playing for other countries? But they’ve won World Cups consistently and they’re right at the top of the world game. There are priorities there, and some people are getting it wrong and some are getting it right.”

Rugby Fan

Geordie and doctor_grey like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Nov 2023, 3:43 pm

And Baxter is spot on.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 02 Nov 2023, 5:19 pm

Personally, I think Warren Gatland has a lot to answer for. It seems to me that his teams have always scrummaged for penalties rather than for a fair contest - though his former protege Adam Jones has built a scrum at Quins that is much cleaner. When they played Exeter a couple of weeks back, the scrums stayed up and there was a proper contest for the ball.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 03 Nov 2023, 8:36 am

Not the right place to put this, but not worth a new thread. A couple of weeks ago Reuben Logan (son of Gabby and Kenny) played his first match for Saints, just a few months over 18 and already 6'5" and 18 stone, he would appear to have opted for England over Scotland or Wales. Until he came to Saints, for Wasps and in the England U18 set up he played centre or winger, so why the hell are we trying to convert him to back row, both Saints and England have quality backrowers coming out of their ears. Neither have a big barnstorming centre or winger, he obviously has some skills there to get into the U18s set up. Am I missing something or should we be trying to develop players that would suit the holes in our armoury at both club and country level.

Most people said that Banahan would have suited 12 better than wing, here is example number 2.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Nov 2023, 8:44 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Not the right place to put this, but not worth a new thread. A couple of weeks ago Reuben Logan (son of Gabby and Kenny) played his first match for Saints, just a few months over 18 and already 6'5" and 18 stone, he would appear to have opted for England over Scotland or Wales. Until he came to Saints, for Wasps and in the England U18 set up he played centre or winger, so why the hell are we trying to convert him to back row, both Saints and England have quality backrowers coming out of their ears. Neither have a big barnstorming centre or winger, he obviously has some skills there to get into the U18s set up. Am I missing something or should we be trying to develop players that would suit the holes in our armoury at both club and country level.

Most people said that Banahan would have suited 12 better than wing, here is example number 2.

Add Barbeary in there aswell....imagine him at hooker....tearing it up if he had continued to work on his hooker set piece skills.

We are desperate for real powerhouse backs coming through...imagine Sam Simmonds at centre with some ball skills?

There has been a fad where 7s rugby was the be all and props have changed to match that.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 03 Nov 2023, 9:22 am

Geordie wrote:...Add Barbeary in there aswell....imagine him at hooker....tearing it up if he had continued to work on his hooker set piece skills....
That was Barbeary's choice. He didn't want to spend time training on hooker set piece skills.

Lee Blackett told the media Barbeary stopped playing hooker after discussions with Eddie Jones, so most pundits assumed Jones told him to switch. Barbeary later clarified he was one who wanted to change, and only consulted Jones to see whether he would still be considered for England in the back row. Jones said something to the effect "You'll be considered if you are good enough". At the time, Jones was hunting around for more hooker options, so he probably would have preferred the him to stay in that position, and improve his set piece.

Here's a few paragraphs from the Times

What Blackett also recognises in Barbeary is massive potential, something the England head coach, Eddie Jones, has also noted. The back row has, as a result of that recognition, become the focal point, rather than the role of hooker. “Right now I’m going to focus on back row, that’s where I can do the best for Lee and Wasps,” explained Barbeary. “And we’ll see what happens, but I’m going back rower for the future.

“I was just enjoying where I was playing and Lee gave me the option in terms of, ‘Do you want to be a back row? — we think you could be a great back row at Wasps.’ I hadn’t really played at hooker for about a year, since before Covid. In terms of going back to hooker, there was uncertainty about playing and being in the [Wasps] squad. I spoke to Mum and my dad, who has always seen me as a back rower. I was enjoying it a lot more in the back row, there was more freedom, so I decided to go ahead and stay there, and hopefully it’s the right decision.”

Barbeary, who is still listed on the Wasps website as a hooker, spoke to Jones about his best position; they both came to the same conclusion. “We had a discussion in terms of what I was thinking. But I think it was more my decision more than anything else in terms of where I saw myself and where I wanted to play, rather than his [decision]. It was more about what I was thinking to let him know more than anything else. I’ve got lots of enjoyment out of my ball carrying and trying to beat defenders.”

Blackett finds it difficult not to smile whenever he talks about Barbeary and is excited about the potential he brings to the squad and believes the input from Jones has increased the youngster’s desire to break into the crowded England back-row contenders.

He said: “Alfie was massively keen on playing in the back row. I just saw a weight lift from him when he realised he could still play back row and that the England selectors believed he could play for his country in that position.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Nov 2023, 11:24 am

He may live to rue that decision if he wants to make the England squad. Think hes going to struggle to get past some of the others in the back row...where as as a hooker he could have had a huge point of difference.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 03 Nov 2023, 11:49 am

I think Barbeary definitely makes the squad as a number 8 if he stays fit. His carrying in traffic is a point of difference to all of England's other 8s coming through now that Billy has declined so much. Making yards against set defences and after contact is invaluable now defences are so much better. He's also very good over the ball in defence. If he can up his work rate in the tackle, which most young back rows do as they develop, then there's an excellent number 8 there.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 03 Nov 2023, 11:57 am

One reason clubs move players between positions is that the characteristics to succeed at top level are a different from what it takes to succeed at age grade.

The one that sticks in my mind is Kyle Sinckler. I chatted to Collin Osborne about him at a Quins dinner a couple of weeks after the summer tour game in New Zealand where Sinckler gathered a loose ball with his back to the tryline and shaped to kick it backwards over his head before thinking better of it. I asked about it - knowing Kyle had played fly half and fullback at school - and he said "We always knew he wouldn't be fast enough to play in the backs, so we were waiting to see if he'd fill out enough to be a forward. I spent a lot of time coaching him out of kicking like that... and maybe I shouldn't have."

Sinckler at his best is a very fast and skillful prop, but would have struggled to make it to pro level as a back. I would guess that Logan (who I realise with a bit of a shock played against my son quite a bit up to U15 level) is probably at the point where he'd make a decently quick forward, but not quite cut it in the backs.
Poorfour
Poorfour

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 03 Nov 2023, 12:18 pm

Good post, Poorfour.

I mentioned a similar issue when the 'tight five training camps' were announced for the age grade players. You get a lot of a props at age grade level who are very good but are likely going to be too small and therefore not strong enough for the modern game at prop. Their technique is excellent, they are fit, make all the hits, etc but will get overpowered in the senior game.

Size and strength without technique is of course useless. Being huge helps an awful lot when modern props are moving in the direction of Uini Antonio though. Even a very technically good scrummager, maybe the best TH scrummager currently playing in fact, in Malherbe is 6'3" and around 20 stone depending on the source. For a long time the ABs tended to have slightly smaller props with huge engines and good skills. Their props in the final included de Groot (6'3" 135kg), Lomax (6'4" 127kg) and Williams (6'5" 144kg). Fletcher Newell is the relative throwback in terms of size. There's a YouTube clip of him squatting 272.5kg with very good form.

As posters here will know I'm not a big one for player stats with height and weight. When George McGuigan is listed anywhere from Harry Thackers height to Jamie George's height then it's safe to say rugby isn't the best at keeping these things accurate. Regardless of whether the ABs prop weights are off by a few kg there it is unavoidable that prop is a position moving towards bigger and stronger blokes as professionalism allows them to improve technique later if needed. Just look at what Jason Ryan has done in short period with the NZ scrummaging.

Antonio didn't go pro until very late. He is nearly 150kg though, which tends to help with not getting overpowered. Porter didn't move to LH until well into his 20s. He was an incredible powerlifter at an early age though who reportedly squatted 350kg. Being monstrously strong will help.

It's a reason Painter has interested me for a while. He has areas to work on but the Premiership just hasn't been producing these kinds of props. Baxter's views on scrummaging that RugbyFan posted are very good in this regard.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Nov 2023, 12:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:I think Barbeary definitely makes the squad as a number 8 if he stays fit. His carrying in traffic is a point of difference to all of England's other 8s coming through now that Billy has declined so much. Making yards against set defences and after contact is invaluable now defences are so much better. He's also very good over the ball in defence. If he can up his work rate in the tackle, which most young back rows do as they develop, then there's an excellent number 8 there.

Well we shall see how he goes this season. He will have to play some serious rugby to oust Ben Earl from that spot at the moment, as will Mercer or Tom Willis or any other would be challenger.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 03 Nov 2023, 12:59 pm

I thought Painter and Fin Baxter had a really good - and very technically clean - scrummaging contest when Quins and Exeter met a couple of weeks ago. It's good for the game to see a new generation coming through.

Size is a bit of a double edged sword for a prop. Weight definitely helps, but it usually comes with height and that makes a big prop vulnerable to a smaller one who can get under them. The reduction of the hit saw a move towards smaller tightheads rather than the monsters we'd been used to - though as those stats show, size is creeping up again.

One underrated ability for a prop is hip flexibility. Ms Poorfour Maj plays prop and (at 15) is tall and strong even by the standards of pro female players. One of her key skills is that she knows how to lower her body height if she needs to get under a good scrum - it's really effective.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 03 Nov 2023, 1:21 pm

Geordie wrote:Well we shall see how he goes this season. He will have to play some serious rugby to oust Ben Earl from that spot at the moment, as will Mercer or Tom Willis or any other would be challenger.

Charlie Morgan at the Telegraph has a new piece on No.8 challengers

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/11/03/england-squad-bill-vunipola-selection-no8-options-borthwick/

In the raw aftermath of England’s gut-wrenching loss to South Africa, as players and coaches gathered close to the touchline, Steve Borthwick embraced Billy Vunipola. The latter looked distraught. During two separate cameos from the bench against the Springboks, he had committed costly errors, including a spill that ended the game. In truth, Vunipola’s very inclusion in the World Cup squad two months earlier, as the sole out-and-out No 8, appeared a significant gamble from the outset.

Borthwick was banking on tournament know-how. Vunipola had not played at all since April and, before that, had been a flagship omission from the Six Nations. Lest we forget, Alex Dombrandt started each of Borthwick’s first six games as head coach. A red card in the warm-up against Ireland, yielding a two-match suspension, disrupted Vunipola’s preparations and he could not seem to recover a foothold. Off the pitch, he will have provided valuable support for Ben Earl, his Saracens colleague who became England’s go-to No 8. On it, the 2023 World Cup felt like a comeback too far for Vunipola.

His response will be fascinating. Vunipola turned 31 on Friday. However, countless gain-line battles have put miles on the clock. He returns to a loaded back-row stable at Saracens, where he has one year left on his contract. Few could begrudge him a move abroad. Whether or not he gets one, Vunipola is at a crossroads. England are, too, because No 8 is one of a few pivotal roles – see also hooker, tighthead prop and inside centre – that requires bolstering. Fortunately, one subplot of this season’s Premiership will be a scrap between promising England hopefuls in this position.

Dombrandt, Alfie Barbeary, Callum Chick, Tom Willis and Zach Mercer have all been prominent over the first three rounds of the domestic campaign. Chandler Cunningham-South is yet to feature for Harlequins, but has plenty of admirers and intoxicating potential. A recent colleague with England Under-20, Greg Fisilau, has made a hugely assured start at Exeter Chiefs since arriving from Wasps as well. We know that Borthwick respects Kyle Hatherell and Matt Rogerson, both of whom have started for Leicester Tigers. Fitz Harding of Bristol Bears continues to develop, too. The nature of a 10-team league means that there are head-to-heads to hype up most weeks.

Mercer helped Gloucester best Harlequins with a last-gasp victory in the opening round. Dombrandt shunted over in the second minute. But then Mercer went to work and finished up with a mammoth 23 carries. Such output characterised his time at Montpellier. Rangy, and always conspicuous due to his light blue scrum cap, Mercer uses deft footwork to dodge tackles and slip between opponents. And he does not shirk heavy traffic. Mercer, omitted from the World Cup picture before the beginning of July, racked up another 23 carries on a windswept and rainy night at Kingston Park as Gloucester triumphed 18-14.

Dombrandt, who started for England as recently as August in their first World Cup warm-up against Wales, produced a dogged defensive display to defy Exeter in round two. He set up Jack Kenningham with a trademark saunter out wide but registered 18 tackles as well as swooping for a clever jackal to kill off the game. A wide-eyed, fist-pumping celebration did not leave much room for interpretation. The 26-year-old is evidently eager to demonstrate his quality.

Barbeary, still 23, will be feeling similarly determined. Though his immense talent has been impeded by injuries as well as the demise of Wasps, he is finally stringing together appearances again. In three consecutive starts at the base of Bath’s scrum, he has bumped and bustled with ball in hand while threatening the breakdown on the other side of the ball. Barbeary threw a trio of offloads against Chick’s Newcastle in round one.

Willis, who replaced Dombrandt in Cardiff without making Borthwick’s 33-man squad, seems close to the England shake-up. He was among the chief inspirations behind a 24-3 win at Kingsholm that has sparked Saracens. Mercer actually bypassed Willis with an early dart but injured his ankle upon spilling over the try-line. By the time he made way, on the half-hour mark, Willis had bagged the first of his two tries and would end up with 18 tackles as well as three contrasting turnovers in a steely rear-guard from the champions.

The second finish, for which the scorer shrugged off two tacklers and dragged two more over the whitewash, encapsulated what Willis developed during his stint in Bordeaux; namely a rare capacity to eke out impetus in crowded situations and from backpedalling scrums. Comparing statistics from small sample sizes is dangerous, because they depend on possession shares and games can play out in wildly different ways. That said, Willis and Mercer are both averaging 3.8 metres per carry each. Mercer, having beaten 21 defenders from 50 carries, is ahead of Willis, who has beaten 12 from 33, as far as his rate of evading tackles.

Of course, one cannot ponder any single position in the back five of a pack in isolation. The question of collective balance, to cover the bases required, is paramount. Interestingly, none of these No 8s have been prominent line-out targets in the traditional sense. Across the first three rounds, only Chick (four times) and Mercer (once) have been lifted to receive the ball. Dombrandt, Mercer and Barbeary, the latter twice against Leicester Tigers, have been found in midfield by throws over the top. Club colleagues are better suited to jumping at the set piece.

Dombrandt has Jack Kenningham at Harlequins. One of Mercer’s back-row buddies is Lewis Ludlow, a line-out leader. Although Bath have been depleted by a serious hamstring injury to Ted Hill, they remain unlikely to lift the burly Barbeary. Willis has Nick Isiekwe and Theo McFarland, with Juan Martín González now at Saracens, too. In an England context, all of this means that Borthwick will probably not rely on a jumping No 8 as prolific as Taulupe Faletau or Kieran Read, unless Cunningham-South, Rogerson or Hatherell surge into the reckoning from relative obscurity. That said, Lewis Ludlam started the World Cup victory over Japan in that role and is reliable at the line-out.

Among the last actions of Earl’s superb World Cup campaign was to run the ball away from a scrum that was retreating rapidly. It was an understated, yet highly accomplished piece of skill befitting of an experienced specialist rather than a stand-in. Without it, Argentina were certain to be awarded a penalty and might have nabbed a bronze medal.

Looking longer-term, Earl is sure to be regarded as a possible No 8, though he would probably need to be complemented by a bopping carrier or a hybrid lock-flanker at blindside. Ironically, Sam Simmonds is probably the closest to Earl when it comes to profile.

Other considerations are in play. For instance, George Martin probably does not have the spring to go without two additional jumpers elsewhere in the back five. Borthwick is known to believe that Tom Pearson has the potential to improve at the line-out. In the past, Borthwick’s expertise has emboldened Tom Curry to be an auxiliary set-piece target. This allowed the combination of Curry, Sam Underhill and Vunipola to function in 2019. Speaking of Underhill, a domineering performance against the Pumas reinforced the choice available to Borthwick. Mark McCall has dizzying options as well. Earl, González and Vunipola make it three Saracens to have started a World Cup match at No 8, plus Willis.

Mercer has been ruled out of Gloucester’s visit to Sale, with his lay-off seemingly open-ended at this stage, but Barbeary will come up against Pearson and co in Northampton as Dombrandt and Chick lock horns at the Twickenham Stoop. Borthwick has already shifted his focus from the World Cup to the Six Nations and has plenty to chew over. Nailing down the identity of his No 8 is bound to be a pressing priority.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Nov 2023, 6:03 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
Geordie wrote:Well we shall see how he goes this season. He will have to play some serious rugby to oust Ben Earl from that spot at the moment, as will Mercer or Tom Willis or any other would be challenger.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2023/11/03/england-squad-bill-vunipola-selection-no8-options-borthwick/

In the raw aftermath of England’s gut-wrenching loss to South Africa, as players and coaches gathered close to the touchline, Steve Borthwick embraced Billy Vunipola. The latter looked distraught. During two separate cameos from the bench against the Springboks, he had committed costly errors, including a spill that ended the game. In truth, Vunipola’s very inclusion in the World Cup squad two months earlier, as the sole out-and-out No 8, appeared a significant gamble from the outset.

Borthwick was banking on tournament know-how. Vunipola had not played at all since April and, before that, had been a flagship omission from the Six Nations. Lest we forget, Alex Dombrandt started each of Borthwick’s first six games as head coach. A red card in the warm-up against Ireland, yielding a two-match suspension, disrupted Vunipola’s preparations and he could not seem to recover a foothold. Off the pitch, he will have provided valuable support for Ben Earl, his Saracens colleague who became England’s go-to No 8. On it, the 2023 World Cup felt like a comeback too far for Vunipola.

His response will be fascinating. Vunipola turned 31 on Friday. However, countless gain-line battles have put miles on the clock. He returns to a loaded back-row stable at Saracens, where he has one year left on his contract. Few could begrudge him a move abroad. Whether or not he gets one, Vunipola is at a crossroads. England are, too, because No 8 is one of a few pivotal roles – see also hooker, tighthead prop and inside centre – that requires bolstering. Fortunately, one subplot of this season’s Premiership will be a scrap between promising England hopefuls in this position.

Dombrandt, Alfie Barbeary, Callum Chick, Tom Willis and Zach Mercer have all been prominent over the first three rounds of the domestic campaign. Chandler Cunningham-South is yet to feature for Harlequins, but has plenty of admirers and intoxicating potential. A recent colleague with England Under-20, Greg Fisilau, has made a hugely assured start at Exeter Chiefs since arriving from Wasps as well. We know that Borthwick respects Kyle Hatherell and Matt Rogerson, both of whom have started for Leicester Tigers. Fitz Harding of Bristol Bears continues to develop, too. The nature of a 10-team league means that there are head-to-heads to hype up most weeks.

Mercer helped Gloucester best Harlequins with a last-gasp victory in the opening round. Dombrandt shunted over in the second minute. But then Mercer went to work and finished up with a mammoth 23 carries. Such output characterised his time at Montpellier. Rangy, and always conspicuous due to his light blue scrum cap, Mercer uses deft footwork to dodge tackles and slip between opponents. And he does not shirk heavy traffic. Mercer, omitted from the World Cup picture before the beginning of July, racked up another 23 carries on a windswept and rainy night at Kingston Park as Gloucester triumphed 18-14.

Dombrandt, who started for England as recently as August in their first World Cup warm-up against Wales, produced a dogged defensive display to defy Exeter in round two. He set up Jack Kenningham with a trademark saunter out wide but registered 18 tackles as well as swooping for a clever jackal to kill off the game. A wide-eyed, fist-pumping celebration did not leave much room for interpretation. The 26-year-old is evidently eager to demonstrate his quality.

Barbeary, still 23, will be feeling similarly determined. Though his immense talent has been impeded by injuries as well as the demise of Wasps, he is finally stringing together appearances again. In three consecutive starts at the base of Bath’s scrum, he has bumped and bustled with ball in hand while threatening the breakdown on the other side of the ball. Barbeary threw a trio of offloads against Chick’s Newcastle in round one.

Willis, who replaced Dombrandt in Cardiff without making Borthwick’s 33-man squad, seems close to the England shake-up. He was among the chief inspirations behind a 24-3 win at Kingsholm that has sparked Saracens. Mercer actually bypassed Willis with an early dart but injured his ankle upon spilling over the try-line. By the time he made way, on the half-hour mark, Willis had bagged the first of his two tries and would end up with 18 tackles as well as three contrasting turnovers in a steely rear-guard from the champions.

The second finish, for which the scorer shrugged off two tacklers and dragged two more over the whitewash, encapsulated what Willis developed during his stint in Bordeaux; namely a rare capacity to eke out impetus in crowded situations and from backpedalling scrums. Comparing statistics from small sample sizes is dangerous, because they depend on possession shares and games can play out in wildly different ways. That said, Willis and Mercer are both averaging 3.8 metres per carry each. Mercer, having beaten 21 defenders from 50 carries, is ahead of Willis, who has beaten 12 from 33, as far as his rate of evading tackles.

Of course, one cannot ponder any single position in the back five of a pack in isolation. The question of collective balance, to cover the bases required, is paramount. Interestingly, none of these No 8s have been prominent line-out targets in the traditional sense. Across the first three rounds, only Chick (four times) and Mercer (once) have been lifted to receive the ball. Dombrandt, Mercer and Barbeary, the latter twice against Leicester Tigers, have been found in midfield by throws over the top. Club colleagues are better suited to jumping at the set piece.

Dombrandt has Jack Kenningham at Harlequins. One of Mercer’s back-row buddies is Lewis Ludlow, a line-out leader. Although Bath have been depleted by a serious hamstring injury to Ted Hill, they remain unlikely to lift the burly Barbeary. Willis has Nick Isiekwe and Theo McFarland, with Juan Martín González now at Saracens, too. In an England context, all of this means that Borthwick will probably not rely on a jumping No 8 as prolific as Taulupe Faletau or Kieran Read, unless Cunningham-South, Rogerson or Hatherell surge into the reckoning from relative obscurity. That said, Lewis Ludlam started the World Cup victory over Japan in that role and is reliable at the line-out.

Among the last actions of Earl’s superb World Cup campaign was to run the ball away from a scrum that was retreating rapidly. It was an understated, yet highly accomplished piece of skill befitting of an experienced specialist rather than a stand-in. Without it, Argentina were certain to be awarded a penalty and might have nabbed a bronze medal.

Looking longer-term, Earl is sure to be regarded as a possible No 8, though he would probably need to be complemented by a bopping carrier or a hybrid lock-flanker at blindside. Ironically, Sam Simmonds is probably the closest to Earl when it comes to profile.

Other considerations are in play. For instance, George Martin probably does not have the spring to go without two additional jumpers elsewhere in the back five. Borthwick is known to believe that Tom Pearson has the potential to improve at the line-out. In the past, Borthwick’s expertise has emboldened Tom Curry to be an auxiliary set-piece target. This allowed the combination of Curry, Sam Underhill and Vunipola to function in 2019. Speaking of Underhill, a domineering performance against the Pumas reinforced the choice available to Borthwick. Mark McCall has dizzying options as well. Earl, González and Vunipola make it three Saracens to have started a World Cup match at No 8, plus Willis.

Mercer has been ruled out of Gloucester’s visit to Sale, with his lay-off seemingly open-ended at this stage, but Barbeary will come up against Pearson and co in Northampton as Dombrandt and Chick lock horns at the Twickenham Stoop. Borthwick has already shifted his focus from the World Cup to the Six Nations and has plenty to chew over. Nailing down the identity of his No 8 is bound to be a pressing priority.

So pretty much exactly what we've all said lots of potential options which may require a tweak to the pack and back row set up.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 03 Nov 2023, 9:15 pm

Geordie wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:

So pretty much exactly what we've all said lots of potential options which may require a tweak to the pack and back row set up.
If I may, I would say some of these contenders will need to actually play and not just in training.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 04 Nov 2023, 6:59 am

So we're going with Vunipola to start at 8 in the 6 nations then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next