The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

+28
Geordie
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
Heaf
demosthenes
sensisball
Cumbrian
formerly known as Sam
carpet baboon
TJ
tigertattie
Boston Exile
funnyExiledScot
TheMildlyFranticLlama
doctor_grey
Heuer27
Mcsweens
Pot Hale
Welshmushroom
Hazel Sapling
Tramptastic
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
RDW
bsando
George Carlin
BigGee
32 posters

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue - Page 21 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

Post by BigGee Mon 23 Oct 2023, 9:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Well both Scotland's pro teams got off the mark with a W this weekend, though probably fair to say that Glasgow's was slightly more pleasing on the eye!

Still not to be sniffed at and probably a while since it last happened.

A good omen for the season, let's hope so, though early season games are not always a predictor of longer term performance. Both sides still got plenty of players to bring back into the fold and a lot of improvement to make.

Roll on 2023/24!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue - Page 21 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

Post by RDW Mon 17 Jun 2024, 10:34 am

Going to be hard enough getting the squad there by the sound of things! Talk of multiple flights, players needing to have different travel plans etc.

For all the good having SA in the competition has brought, the travel really is a major issue at short notice like this.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue - Page 21 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 30 - Starting the new season with 2 wins - Long may it continue

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:29 am

I think they need to do it like the Heineken cup and choose a venue the year before to allow for travel arrangements, especially as SA isn't the easiest to get to even without it being last minute!

With all that in mind I can't see Glasgow pulling a last rabbit out of the hat but it's nice going to a final with no expectations!

NeilyBroon

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Jun 2024, 11:39 am

NeilyBroon wrote:I think they need to do it like the Heineken cup and choose a venue the year before to allow for travel arrangements, especially as SA isn't the easiest to get to even without it being last minute!

With all that in mind I can't see Glasgow pulling a last rabbit out of the hat but it's nice going to a final with no expectations!

It's still a problem though that the team won't know until a week before if they would actually need to fly there for the final or not. Would they pre book 50 odd plane seats plus all the kit just in case? Probably not.

And the problem will come when it is SA's turn and none of the Saffer teams make the final, so both teams have to travel a long way to basically play in front of an empty stadium!

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 17 Jun 2024, 12:18 pm

RDW wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:I think they need to do it like the Heineken cup and choose a venue the year before to allow for travel arrangements, especially as SA isn't the easiest to get to even without it being last minute!

It's still a problem though that the team won't know until a week before if they would actually need to fly there for the final or not. Would they pre book 50 odd plane seats plus all the kit just in case? Probably not.

And the problem will come when it is SA's turn and none of the Saffer teams make the final, so both teams have to travel a long way to basically play in front of an empty stadium!

Could the urc organisers not have one chartered flight there? There must be a way it's been done with football etc! I know there's less money but surely there's enough to cover a flight!

The second point is more tricky as of course it works both ways...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 17 Jun 2024, 12:48 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/hamish-bain-after-my-first-ball-carry-i-felt-a-finger-in-my-eye-what/

Great read this one, and a very funny anecdote about a steak. Also, what ever happened to the stade niçoise deal? Was it binned?

It got me thinking that perhaps the SRU need a dedicated programme that allocates emerging talent to second or third tier clubs in Europe? Those who can’t find pro contracts in Scotland or get little or no game time could be finding the game time they need abroad.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 17 Jun 2024, 2:10 pm

bsando wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/hamish-bain-after-my-first-ball-carry-i-felt-a-finger-in-my-eye-what/

Great read this one, and a very funny anecdote about a steak. Also, what ever happened to the stade niçoise deal? Was it binned?

It got me thinking that perhaps the SRU need a dedicated programme that allocates emerging talent to second or third tier clubs in Europe? Those who can’t find pro contracts in Scotland or get little or no game time could be finding the game time they need abroad.

It'd be nice to see a few of these players push forward to national selection, it's frustrating that we have a great international scouting team yet these players seem to end up in the rugby wilderness from our own set up. The idea of a third pro team is just that, a nice idea but you do feel that a lot of the talent in the club academies is largely wasted, especially Edinburgh side.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Jun 2024, 6:53 pm

We'll I have now got to The Dear Green Place, The second City of the Empire and my dad's home town.

Had a great ride over from Dunoon today. I took a diversion down into rural Argyll to see the place my mum was born.

She was born in the West Lodge of the Knockdow Estate near Dunoon. Amazingly enough, the building is still there, albeit in no great shape. Both my grandparents worked on the Estate, now owned by a Russian Oligarch, which probably says a lot about how society has changed in this country as well.

It was a fabulous experience just wondering about how people lived in such an isolated place back in the 1930's and marveling at how my family has progressed over the last couple of generations.

I am feeling good and managing the distances we'll and my Just Giving page is now over £2000 pounds.

Off to Selkirk tomorrow and then England awaits.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

RDW, George Carlin, NeilyBroon, Unclear and RiscaGame like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Jun 2024, 10:57 am

The Hoggy to Montpellier news seems to be basically done and dusted. 2 year deal apparently with an option to extend to 3! Bizzare, bizzare, bizzare but then again what do we know

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 19 Jun 2024, 11:28 am

RDW wrote:The Hoggy to Montpellier news seems to be basically done and dusted. 2 year deal apparently with an option to extend to 3! Bizzare, bizzare, bizzare but then again what do we know

Probably just the right distance for his restraining order.

Good luck to him, don't think we'll see him in blue again if that's what he's expecting!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 19 Jun 2024, 1:18 pm

BigGee wrote:We'll I have now got to The Dear Green Place, The second City of the Empire and my dad's home town.

Had a great ride over from Dunoon today. I took a diversion down into rural Argyll to see the place my mum was born.

She was born in the West Lodge of the Knockdow Estate near Dunoon. Amazingly enough, the building is still there, albeit in no great shape. Both my grandparents worked on the Estate, now owned by a Russian Oligarch, which probably says a lot about how society has changed in this country as well.

It was a fabulous experience just wondering about how people lived in such an isolated place back in the 1930's and marveling at how my family has progressed over the last couple of generations.

I am feeling good and managing the distances we'll and my Just Giving page is now over £2000 pounds.

Off to Selkirk tomorrow and then England awaits.

Probs missed it, pop the link on Gee old chap
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Jun 2024, 8:24 pm

Made it to Selkirk today

That is a bumpy old road down from Glasgow

https://www.justgiving.com/page/grahame-dick-1715528190885

For Tatties and anyone else interested

Many thanks

BG

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21