The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes

+22
No 7&1/2
TJ
carpet baboon
cb
geoff999rugby
hugehandoff
propdavid_london
mikey_dragon
Mr Bounce
Pebbles
Flintoff05
mountain man
nlpnlp
king_carlos
doctor_grey
Cumbrian
WELL-PAST-IT
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
Poorfour
Rugby Fan
Geordie
26 posters

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes - Page 9 Empty England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Apr 2024, 1:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Net up...Summer Tour to NZ...and a game v Japan

Geordie

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes - Page 9 Empty Re: England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes

Post by carpet baboon Tue 18 Jun 2024, 6:49 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
king_carlos wrote:I do love that carpet's defining views are a hatred of England picking outside centres who have also played inside centre at inside centre, and, wanting them to pick a fullback who's never played centre at inside centre. Laugh

I like the Steward at 12 idea. I think it makes a lot of sense, reckon his ceiling is higher there than fullback. It'd need to happen at club level first though. That's the route Jordie went through. The Highlanders decided his skills were best utilised at 12, started picking him there. The ABs actually kept using him in the back three for over a year after he was playing 12 in Super Rugby.

Can't see Tigers going with it at club level though. We've got two senior centres who are both best at 12 and a young gun who looks like he could become a very good 12. At 13 we're pretty short and early in the season we'll need Shillcock to cover 10 so Steward will be required at 15.

He's probably got more chance of playing 10 given our lack of flyhalfs going into next season.

Well that's my new campaign started.

STEWARD FOR TEN

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes - Page 9 Empty Re: England - The Next Episode: Part Deux: Phoenix from the Ashes

Post by doctor_grey Wed 19 Jun 2024, 12:26 am

Phil Vickery already locked in as the starting 10.

I still struggle with the overwhelming criticism of England/RFU/World-effing-Rugby for not being able to negotiate a television deal for the Japan-England match and then doing nothing to correct such an obvious failure on their part.  Of course, there is no need for me to launch into another oratorical tour-de-force about how unfit for duty those organisations really are.  I shouldn't even need to point out streaming does not grow sport - people stream in what they already want to see.  

It will be interesting to see if the English language commentators will be at the stadium or in a tv studio somewhere, with the inevitable lack of any crowd noise or closer to game type experience.  And I will have to be awake to watch the game at 1:30am on Saturday and try to stay awake.  

And, to make the sh!t more binding, as it were, if y'all don't already know, Barbarians-Fiji is live on Sky.  But not England....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 19 Jun 2024, 2:55 am

Tokyo weather watch:

There was an all-day downpour on Tuesday. Wednesday is clear, and temperatures will reach 30 degrees, so that ought to dry everything out. The rain front which was set to move across Tokyo on Friday has shifted, so we might now get clear weather up to, and including, match day.

Kyle Sinckler has turned up on "The Good, The Bad & The Rugby" podcast. He speaks very openly, and emotionally, about how he feels he let Steve Borthwick and England down with his World Cup semi-final performance.

Reflecting on that day, he traces his failure back to the last World Cup. Sinckler thinks he came out of 2019, bristling with resentments and a sense of entitlement. The World Cup is a four year cycle, and he feels he never got himself in the right place to be ready for 2023. "Everything that happened to me was all my own doing".

He goes into a lot of detail about his physical condition, and brings up that he was also doing a lot of snus. Jonny May encouraged him to talk about that because he says it's increasingly common in rugby, which isn't a good trend. Sinckler says he started using it when he was trying to lose weight.

If Sinckler ever gets his body in decent shape, then it sounds like he wants a chance in the future to make amends on the international stage.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 19 Jun 2024, 8:26 am

doctor_grey wrote:Phil Vickery already locked in as the starting 10.

I still struggle with the overwhelming criticism of England/RFU/World-effing-Rugby for not being able to negotiate a television deal for the Japan-England match and then doing nothing to correct such an obvious failure on their part.  Of course, there is no need for me to launch into another oratorical tour-de-force about how unfit for duty those organisations really are.  I shouldn't even need to point out streaming does not grow sport - people stream in what they already want to see.  

It will be interesting to see if the English language commentators will be at the stadium or in a tv studio somewhere, with the inevitable lack of any crowd noise or closer to game type experience.  And I will have to be awake to watch the game at 1:30am on Saturday and try to stay awake.  

And, to make the sh!t more binding, as it were, if y'all don't already know, Barbarians-Fiji is live on Sky.  But not England....

It is nuts they couldn't find a mainstream tv outlet who wanted to screen match. As Im sure you know it's on RugbyPass tv which is free, just need to sign up and then watch via pc etc.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Jun 2024, 9:00 am

Snus? Is that the tobacco pouches in the upper lip or am I way off track?

Ignore me...i think it's Snut that's the pouches...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 19 Jun 2024, 9:06 am

I believe it's snus, apparently popular with footballers. Yes tobacco pouches. Excellent method for getting cancer of the mouth.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Jun 2024, 9:34 am

carpet baboon wrote:
king_carlos wrote:I do love that carpet's defining views are a hatred of England picking outside centres who have also played inside centre at inside centre, and, wanting them to pick a fullback who's never played centre at inside centre. Laugh

I like the Steward at 12 idea. I think it makes a lot of sense, reckon his ceiling is higher there than fullback. It'd need to happen at club level first though. That's the route Jordie went through. The Highlanders decided his skills were best utilised at 12, started picking him there. The ABs actually kept using him in the back three for over a year after he was playing 12 in Super Rugby.

Can't see Tigers going with it at club level though. We've got two senior centres who are both best at 12 and a young gun who looks like he could become a very good 12. At 13 we're pretty short and early in the season we'll need Shillcock to cover 10 so Steward will be required at 15.

He's probably got more chance of playing 10 given our lack of flyhalfs going into next season.

Well that's my new campaign started.

STEWARD FOR TEN

Very Happy

I'm hoping we'll sign another flyhalf before the season starts though a bit of game time at 10 would probably bring in Steward's game no end. He played there at school level so it's not entirely alien to him but would be a big ask.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Jun 2024, 10:42 am

mountain man wrote:I believe it's snus, apparently popular with footballers. Yes tobacco pouches. Excellent method for getting cancer of the mouth.

Ah so i was right...yes HUGELY popular in Scandinavia, and actually illegal to import in to this country, but legal to use.

Their gums etc all go black ...its not pleasant.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 19 Jun 2024, 10:47 am

king_carlos wrote:I do love that carpet's defining views are a hatred of England picking outside centres who have also played inside centre at inside centre, and, wanting them to pick a fullback who's never played centre at inside centre. :laugh:

Tell you what, Quins will happily take him off your hands and turn him into a top class 12. As I understand it we've got a gap at 12 for the right player and a big bag of cash we didn't expect to have.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 19 Jun 2024, 10:57 am

As we are discussing players who are clearly not playing in the role they were destined for, I yet again find myself compelled to point out Alex Goode should have been a ten for club and country.
And I will go further and state my belief that if he had been 10 and Farrell had been a 12 all his career, England would have won the 2019 world cup

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 19 Jun 2024, 12:07 pm

England played uncapped tests in Japan in 1971, and 1979.

NHK did a documentary on the first 1971 Test. There's English dialogue and subtitles for the Japanese.

The first Test in 1979 is seared into the brain of Japanese rugby supporters old enough to have seen it. If you are interested in an account of that match, then there's one here:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/12/13/the-one-that-got-away-when-japan-nearly-toppled-england-in-1979/

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 19 Jun 2024, 1:10 pm

carpet baboon wrote:As we are discussing players who are clearly not playing in the role they were destined for, I yet again find myself compelled to point out Alex Goode should have been a ten for club and country.
And I will go further and state my belief that if he had been 10 and Farrell had been a 12 all his career, England would have won the 2019 world cup

I agree Goode would have been much better at 10. I am not sure he'd have been the best option though.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Jun 2024, 1:31 pm

Poorfour wrote:

Tell you what, Quins will happily take him off your hands and turn him into a top class 12. As I understand it we've got a gap at 12 for the right player and a big bag of cash we didn't expect to have.

You can keep your hands off. He's staying a Tiger.

With young Kerr coming through at Quins you might have to change the playing style of midfield a little but you've got the future inside centre for Quins already.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 19 Jun 2024, 4:42 pm

Sinfield might stick around

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2024/06/19/kevin-sinfield-england-borthwick-consultancy-tour-burrow/

England and Kevin Sinfield are exploring extending the former defence coach’s duties beyond the summer tour to Japan and New Zealand, Telegraph Sport can reveal.

Sinfield is scheduled to step down at the end of the tour in July, after stepping back from defensive duties following the addition of Felix Jones, the former Springboks assistant, to the coaching team in January.

Telegraph Sport understands, however, that England head coach Steve Borthwick is keen for Sinfield to stay beyond this summer’s tour, and the 43-year-old is now considering his options. Sinfield is currently mourning the tragic death of his close friend and MND campaigner, Rob Burrow. A source said: “They are hoping to secure an extension. The boys love him.”

Any new role would likely be on a consultancy basis, leaving Sinfield free to explore other opportunities, while devoting a couple of days a week when England are in camp to continue his work as a skills and kicking coach and mentor, particularly for the younger players in the squad.

It is understood that both parties are aligned and keen to agree a deal although it is not yet clear if funding will be available given that Andrew Strawbridge recently joined the England management team as an assistant coach and coaching advisor. The 59-year-old New Zealander spent the first four weeks of the Six Nations working with England as a consultant coach.

RFU spending on the England team has been under greater scrutiny after Eddie Jones, Borthwick’s predecessor and current Japan coach, overspent his budget by £900,000 leading into the 2019 World Cup.

Before this year’s Six Nations, Borthwick revealed that Sinfield would be stepping back from defensive duties to take on a skills and kicking role which would end before the November Tests.

Jones, the Irishman who was an assistant for South Africa’s 2023 World Cup victory, took over defensive responsibilities – employing the renowned blitz defence – with Sinfield due to depart his auxiliary role after the two-Test series against the All Blacks in July.

At the time of the announcement in January, Sinfield – awarded a CBE earlier this year for his remarkable fund-raising feats – suggested his exit was down to “personal reasons that need to remain private for now.”

“It’s the best job I’ve ever had – apart from playing! I’ve really enjoyed working with the player,” he said.

Borthwick added at the time that “Kev made the decision over what he wanted to do” and that “you can’t overstate the value he’s brought, what he’s done and the relationships he’s built”.

Sinfield, who coached the defence of Borthwick’s title-winning Leicester side in 2022 after a glittering playing career in rugby league, admitted in January that he did not know his next professional move but that it would be in coaching.

“Do I still want to coach? Yes,” Sinfield said. “What that looks like, I’m not sure. I’m pretty excited about what’s to come this year with England, and then there is a lot of unknown for me. I’ll make the best of it.”

“[It will be] coaching full-stop. I don’t know where that is or what it looks like, but I’ve really enjoyed coaching and I don’t ever feel like I really left rugby league because of my role with Rugby League Cares – the charitable arm of the sport. What I do know is I want to continue to support and help people.

“When what happened with Rob [Burrow] happened, it was a big shift in my life, and it felt right to use my experience as a player to help me support players and other people. I try to use that in the best way moving forward. I won’t rule out anything at this stage. I think it’s very unlikely I’ll go back into rugby league, but I’ll never say no.”

The Rugby Football Union declined to comment.

Rugby Fan

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Wed 19 Jun 2024, 6:28 pm

Sinfield is just a brilliant human. Every team would love him even on a part time basis, it's very easy to see why the players like him

carpet baboon

formerly known as Sam and Pebbles like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 12:28 am

England camp video. Main focus is on nutrition, and dealing with the heat. Maro Itoje and Marcus Smith went along to a sumo training session.

[EDIT] Here's the Kyle Sinckler podcast appearance.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 20 Jun 2024, 8:32 am

Seems like Mercer doubling down on his previous comments about being left out of England squad.
Rather like previously, I'm not sure this is going to help his cause for selection.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/articles/cx77zv63866o

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 20 Jun 2024, 9:11 am

With young Kerr coming through at Quins you might have to change the playing style of midfield a little but you've got the future inside centre for Quins already.

Kerr is promising but he's only 19 so it'll be a couple of years before he's ready. We've got a long list of promising centres ahead of him, but it's the England problem in microcosm: none of them are obvious 12s. Joseph and Beard are OC/Wing, Northmore looks like he should have the build for 12 but has not yet put in a performance there that's up to the standard he brings at 13. Anyanwu, Bradley and Hyde have all looked good in occasional appearances but have all spent more time at 13 than 12 and none has nailed down a starting place yet (though that's more a reflection on the quality of Esterhuizen, Northmore, Joseph and Beard than on them).

I don't know why the position is so much of a struggle for England.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Jun 2024, 10:39 am

Poorfour wrote:

Kerr is promising but he's only 19 so it'll be a couple of years before he's ready. We've got a long list of promising centres ahead of him, but it's the England problem in microcosm: none of them are obvious 12s. Joseph and Beard are OC/Wing, Northmore looks like he should have the build for 12 but has not yet put in a performance there that's up to the standard he brings at 13. Anyanwu, Bradley and Hyde have all looked good in occasional appearances but have all spent more time at 13 than 12 and none has nailed down a starting place yet (though that's more a reflection on the quality of Esterhuizen, Northmore, Joseph and Beard than on them).

I don't know why the position is so much of a struggle for England.

Hyde played 12 for Ireland under 20s, looked incredible and then has done bugger all since as far as I'm aware.

Kerr is only 19 but the skillset is extremely good and if you're going to set up with Marcus and Northmore at 10 and 13 he'd have plenty of Prem experience either side. Might not be the option for every game but Quins start bedding him in early I suspect they'll see a long term gain. Problem is he doesn't fit the standard 12 shape that Quins like so they might have to adjust. There was a good reason Big Andre got paid marquee money, he could do a bit of everything from 12. Unlikely to find a like for like replacement.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 20 Jun 2024, 11:00 am

I can't see it happening, but there is one player that has all the attributes to make an excellent 12, big, excellent hands, fast, good offloading game, he has played just about everywhere in the backs at a very good premiership / international standard, except 12. And who is person?

Tommy Freeman
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 11:05 am

mountain man wrote:Seems like Mercer doubling down on his previous comments about being left out of England squad.
Rather like previously, I'm not sure this is going to help his cause for selection.

I listened to Mercer speak with Care, and that's not how his comments came across at all. I recommend listening to the interview for context.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 20 Jun 2024, 11:35 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:I can't see it happening, but there is one player that has all the attributes to make an excellent 12, big, excellent hands, fast, good offloading game, he has played just about everywhere in the backs at a very good premiership / international standard, except 12.  And who is person?

Tommy Freeman

He certainly does seem to have all the requirements

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 20 Jun 2024, 12:26 pm

Hopefully Olly Hartley can recover from his knee injury and we can see more of him developing with Saracens.

At the moment...its Lawrences position.

Geordie

Poorfour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 20 Jun 2024, 12:29 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
mountain man wrote:Seems like Mercer doubling down on his previous comments about being left out of England squad.

I listened to Mercer speak with Care, and that's not how his comments came across at all. I recommend listening to the interview for context.

I'll do that but unquestionably Mercers previous comments on being left out were quite inflammatory I thought.
Anyway, that aside I don't think he's particularly missed as England do have very good strength in depth in backrow. I did think he should have been in RWC squad as at time he was pulling up trees but since then his form been mixed.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 1:07 pm

mountain man wrote:...unquestionably Mercers previous comments on being left out were quite inflammatory...

They really weren't. I think Mercer is a bit of a victim of rugby's straight-talking northerner issue. We love straight-talking northerners when they are defence coaches. Much less when they are players.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 20 Jun 2024, 1:16 pm

Read this then.

Saying he thinks Borthwick doesn't value him etc. At time I along with quite a few other fans and pundits etc raised our eyebrows at statements. Maybe not full story etc but it doesn't look good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68023982

Lol, the old post dislike, excellent. Means my comment got through.

Last edited by mountain man on Thu 20 Jun 2024, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Jun 2024, 1:21 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
mountain man wrote:...unquestionably Mercers previous comments on being left out were quite inflammatory...

They really weren't. I think Mercer is a bit of a victim of rugby's straight-talking northerner issue. We love straight-talking northerners when they are defence coaches. Much less when they are players.

I've got no problem with straight talking but his initial comments made him sound like a petulant child. The interviews since where he's explained himself in more detail have shown a much better side to things.

At this point he'd probably be better off keeping his head down and working on rounding out his game.

formerly known as Sam

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 1:22 pm

mountain man wrote:Read this then.

That's really my point. Rather than read a transcription of what he says, I recommend listening to him. You might think it can't come across any differently - and if you have read it first, and formed an opinion, then maybe it won't - but he comes across as a plain speaker, not someone spitting out resentments.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 20 Jun 2024, 2:40 pm

Anyway, regardless it would appear that Mercer is not interesting Mr Borthwick.

Im curious what 8 hes looking at mind. Earl has been an amazing stand in...or is he just a stand in? Has SB decided he likes Earl there our version of Savea? Using a more Exeter style with more muscle size on the flanks where possible?

Aside from Dombrandt he hasnt really looked at many 8s? Maybe hes waiting to see CCS progress at 6, and how his skills and fitness comes along..?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 20 Jun 2024, 2:53 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
mountain man wrote:Read this then.

That's really my point. Rather than read a transcription of what he says, I recommend listening to him. You might think it can't come across any differently - and if you have read it first, and formed an opinion, then maybe it won't - but he comes across as a plain speaker, not someone spitting out resentments.

Well facts are he said those quotes about Borthwick not valuing him so no matter what he subsequently says now it's out there.
As Sam says, Mercer comes over as petulant etc and if he didn't mean to he shouldn't have said those original things.

Anyway, he's not picked and unless Borthwick has changed of mind and/or Earl, CCS, Dombrandt etc all get injured or whatever then it's not looking hopeful for Mercer.
He needs to let his rugby do the talking.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 4:29 pm

mountain man wrote:Well facts are he said those quotes about Borthwick not valuing him so no matter what he subsequently says now it's out there.

I literally said that hearing Mercer's interviews leaves a different impression from reading quotes afterwards.

From a playing perspective, I've always put Mercer in the same bracket as Dombrandt. A very intelligent rugby player, who might not have what it takes to show his best form at Test level. Then again, I probably had more time for Nick Easter than most, so bear that in mind when judging whether I have a decent opinion on No.8s.

So, I don't have a dog in the fight over whether Borthwick should be picking Mercer. However, I do have some more general observations.

- I live in Japan, and the time difference means I regularly hear podcasts soon after they are uploaded, and before any comments get picked up on twitter, or reported elsewhere online. I'm often struck by how statements I heard are later taken out of context, or wholly misrepresented. Mercer is just one example. I'm sure my interpretation of what people say isn't always correct or valid but the internet has commercial and troll incentives to misrepresent.

- Mercer has always mentioned how much he values his mental health, and how he has gone to sports psychologists to help him deal with rejection. It makes no sense to me that we would talk up the importance of mental health in our sport, and then tell Mercer he should shut up about how he deals with it.

- Financially, rugby is dying on its backside outside certain areas. Sports marketers often bemoan that the rugby is terrible at creating characters. After Owen Farrell retired from internationals, some parts of the media seemed to says his poor reputation was his own fault, because he didn't open up to them. Now he's retired, Jonny May has surprised podcast audiences by showing parts of his eccentric character we only heard about in passing. Mercer isn't retired but is prepared to speak clearly and honestly about the experience of being a professional rugby player. I have no idea why anyone would think it's good for the sport if players stopped doing that.

Rugby Fan

doctor_grey, king_carlos and lostinwales like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 20 Jun 2024, 4:50 pm

You come over as a bit defensive on this?
All I have done is report what's been in media, if nothing else its not a good look saying the coach doesn't value him.
This interview with Care, was that done at time as initial reports were from Jan this year when this came out?
So you are saying the quotes are taken out of context from a wider interview?
I'm all for players showing a bit of character but my view is the perception of what was reported is not good and I cannot help think articles like that must have an effect on selection.
Obviously only Mercer and Borthwick know for sure whether he now not in line for selection because of media articles.
My view purely as an outsider (same as all here as far as I know) is it didn't look good.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 5:16 pm

mountain man wrote:You come over as a bit defensive on this?

I hope I come across as making the point that bare text quotes frequently don't reflect the tone and context in which they are said.

Rugby Fan

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 20 Jun 2024, 5:20 pm

Fair enough and I wasn't sure hence ?. So the original article where he says Borthwick doesn't value him etc, is that same interview as Care one you mention? Or is Care interview after it?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 20 Jun 2024, 5:34 pm

mountain man wrote:Fair enough and I wasn't sure hence ?. So the original article where he says Borthwick doesn't value him etc, is that same interview as Care one you mention? Or is Care interview after it?

Two separate interviews. The first one, Mercer gave after being overlooked for the post World Cup squad and the England A fixture against Portugal.

The most recent comments come from this week's BBC Rugby Podcast. Danny Care called in Mercer, as they are both with the Barbarians squad to play Fiji at the weekend.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 20 Jun 2024, 6:06 pm

Geordie wrote:Anyway, regardless it would appear that Mercer is not interesting Mr Borthwick.

Im curious what 8 hes looking at mind. Earl has been an amazing stand in...or is he just a stand in? Has SB decided he likes Earl there our version of Savea? Using a more Exeter style with more muscle size on the flanks where possible?

Aside from Dombrandt he hasnt really looked at many 8s? Maybe hes waiting to see CCS progress at 6, and how his skills and fitness comes along..?

I think he would have looked at Barbeary in the squads had it not been for the ban just before the Six Nations, then injury in the final. Earl has been fantastic there and CCS is the best talent in the position though. So I can't really fault the selections made.

Similar with Langdon. Ban just before the Six Nations. Injured in the final. I reckon he may well have been looked at too.

Borthwick has said publicly (re Ted Hill IIRC) that he has favoured continuity for this tour. Which makes sense given the schedule. The Prem semis, final, Japan game, then ABs x 2 all coming in consecutive weeks. The squad for the weekend will have had less time together than they do before the AIs or Six Nations even.

When I was picking speculative squads, I hadn't fully considered that to be honest. I was looking at Japan as more of a potential development fixture than it actually is. If you picked more players there that you wouldn't feature against the ABs then you've not only got combinations not getting game time before landing in NZ, you'd also have guys who weren't in the playoffs having played no rugby for 3 weekends before meeting the ABs in Dunedin.

king_carlos

Geordie and formerly known as Sam like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 20 Jun 2024, 10:27 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Geordie wrote:Anyway, regardless it would appear that Mercer is not interesting Mr Borthwick.

I think he would have looked at Barbeary in the squads had it not been for the ban just before the Six Nations, then injury in the final. Earl has been fantastic there and CCS is the best talent in the position though. So I can't really fault the selections made.

Similar with Langdon. Ban just before the Six Nations. Injured in the final. I reckon he may well have been looked at too.

Borthwick has said publicly (re Ted Hill IIRC) that he has favoured continuity for this tour. Which makes sense given the schedule. The Prem semis, final, Japan game, then ABs x 2 all coming in consecutive weeks. The squad for the weekend will have had less time together than they do before the AIs or Six Nations even.

When I was picking speculative squads, I hadn't fully considered that to be honest. I was looking at Japan as more of a potential development fixture than it actually is. If you picked more players there that you wouldn't feature against the ABs then you've not only got combinations not getting game time before landing in NZ, you'd also have guys who weren't in the playoffs having played no rugby for 3 weekends before meeting the ABs in Dunedin.

I agree KC I've said a few times I didn't think the team v Japan would be a "development side" ...purely because they're playing NZ next.

What I like aswell as the obvious about CCS at 8 is his added lineout ability. How long since we hadan 8 who was a proper lineout option!
And bringing Ted Hill in to the squad would add yet more physicality, mobility and lineout. The potential combinations are exciting...

I do think Langdon missing out is a big blow. He's a proper dynamic player..with George due to be phased out Dan and Langdon give two exciting options at hooker. So I'd have loved to see Langdon in the side at some stage this tour.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 21 Jun 2024, 2:57 am

Times on Sinfield:

The England captain Jamie George is desperate for Kevin Sinfield to stay on as an assistant coach beyond this summer as he has become a vital mentor to the squad. Sinfield initially joined Steve Borthwick’s staff as the defence coach in December 2022 but took on the role of skills coach after the World Cup last year.

The 43-year-old announced before the Six Nations that this summer’s tour to Japan and New Zealand would be his last with England, despite having a contract until the 2027 World Cup.
However, it is understood that Borthwick, the head coach, is now reconsidering his decision to move on from Sinfield as he recognises the impact the former rugby league player is having with England.

It has not yet been decided whether Sinfield will indeed stay. He and the RFU need to work out the finer details of his role, job title, whether they would like him to remain as a full-time coach or a part-time consultant figure and — crucially — what that would cost. As his role is difficult to define, the RFU would need to work out how that is reflected in his salary.

Sinfield has a wide remit with England now, and is particularly good at mentoring the younger players and those that do not make Borthwick’s match-day squads. “He’s almost become the head coach of the non-23 guys who are running against us,” George said.

“I’ve never really seen a role like that before but he’s really taken that on and takes pride in working with those guys. It can be very difficult on a tour like this, when you’re not selected when you hope to be selected. They have a conversation with Steve, but Kev is the person who puts the arm around the shoulder. The amount of times I’ve seen him having a coffee with a lot of the non-23 guys — his caffeine intake is significant!

“He is such an incredible coach. What a wealth of knowledge he has on both sides of the ball. I don’t think I’ve worked with someone like that. He probably reminds me of [the Ireland head coach] Andy Farrell in that respect, in that he’s got such an amazing understanding of our defence, obviously having been our defence coach, and then also the attacking side of the game. That’s what made him such a good defence coach, as the attack worked so well.

“That transition to being a skills coach, working with the kickers as well, has been seamless. He gives little snippets and insights for me as captain. His leadership credentials speak for themselves. The little things that he’s said to me this week and throughout the Six Nations have been absolutely invaluable.

“I couldn’t be keener for him to stay. The role he’s playing is absolutely invaluable and he’s an incredible man. You don’t need me to tell you that. In terms of the role he’s playing in this team, it’s been amazing to see and I think that’s a huge part of us being able to kick on.”

Sinfield is on this tour still grieving after the death of his great friend and former team-mate Rob Burrow this month. The rugby league legend died of motor neurone disease (MND) aged 41 on June 2. Sinfield has raised millions for MND charities via undertaking running feats.

Richard Wigglesworth, the England attack coach, is also hoping that Sinfield remains with England.

“I’ve loved working with Kev, both as a professional and as a friend,” Wigglesworth said. “Kev has made his decision [to leave]. If that changes I will be delighted, as I love working with him as a coach.

“He wants to help people. As a coach he helps us immensely, in his role in the skills side and all his individual stuff, but then how good he is at helping me and Felix [Jones, the defence coach] and anyone who is lead coaching that time, [with] how he is in meetings.

“Off the field he’s a good friend of mine. We have good fun so it would be great if he was around but I just want Kev to be happy in everything he is doing.”

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/rugby-union/article/jamie-george-leader-kevin-sinfield-stays-with-england-xswxt996v

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 21 Jun 2024, 9:40 am

What is everyone expecting tomorrow then? A win I imagine is what most want although Mr Jones would like nothing better than to pull one over his ex employer especially as he was sacked.
Hopefully England rugby be a bit more cohesive than England football team, that would be a start. A loss not be good but if they win I think manner of it be important seeing as facing NZ next. A scrappy set piece dominated win probably not what we want.
I'm hoping if things go well first half changes are made both personnal wise and positionally. Freeman into centre being foremost of this.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jun 2024, 10:47 am

Kev has always come across as a great leader, some questions over whether he was more than just a good coach.

Sounds like he's proving invaluable as Steve's right hand man. Be good if he can be kept on in some form or another though maybe not for Quins who were apparently keen for him to join as their defence coach.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jun 2024, 10:49 am

mountain man wrote:What is everyone expecting tomorrow then? A win I imagine is what most want although Mr Jones would like nothing better than to pull one over his ex employer especially as he was sacked.
Hopefully England rugby be a bit more cohesive than England football team, that would be a start. A loss not be good but if they win I think manner of it be important seeing as facing NZ next. A scrappy set piece dominated win probably not what we want.
I'm hoping if things go well first half changes are made both personnal wise and positionally. Freeman into centre being foremost of this.

What I want is to see a continuation of the style of play from the 6N. We showed a destructive defence and then a nice overall attacking strategy where we played in the right areas of the pitch keeping the pressure on the opposition but ball in hand really opened up and moved through the gears.

You'd hope we'd win given the teams named but the style of how we play and whether Marcus Smith can bring the right balance is more important. Particularly with the AB games coming up.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 21 Jun 2024, 11:00 am

I think Marcus be fine, the choice is only between him and Fin anyway now so I think he's the more attacking option. I'm sure Fin will be given time on field anyway so both be able to show what they can do.
Thing is Japan and NZ be so different in type of game played and intensity that a gameplan for Japan unlikely to work against NZ.
However it's a chance to get players to gel a bit. Defence is good I think, it's more how Eng go in attack I'm keen to see.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 21 Jun 2024, 11:24 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Kev has always come across as a great leader, some questions over whether he was more than just a good coach.

Sounds like he's proving invaluable as Steve's right hand man. Be good if he can be kept on in some form or another though maybe not for Quins who were apparently keen for him to join as their defence coach.

Quins have got Jason Gilmore now. Don't know much about him but he has coached Australia A and the Barbarians. Super Kev would have been good, but reading between the lines it sounds like he doesn't want a full time coaching role at the moment, and he is apparently doing an excellent job as "coach of the non-selected" on tour.
Poorfour
Poorfour

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 21 Jun 2024, 11:33 am

Poorfour wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Kev has always come across as a great leader, some questions over whether he was more than just a good coach.

Quins have got Jason Gilmore now. Don't know much about him but he has coached Australia A and the Barbarians. Super Kev would have been good, but reading between the lines it sounds like he doesn't want a full time coaching role at the moment, and he is apparently doing an excellent job as "coach of the non-selected" on tour.

Rumours were that many of the technical aspects of defence coaching were taken on by other coaches in the RWC. He's clearly an inspirational coach but is very inexperienced in union at the end of the day. His system at Tigers largely seemed to be getting worked out with little response the season after Tigers won the title. I think the sort of role he's currently doing with England is ideally suited to what he's brilliant at.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 21 Jun 2024, 11:48 am

Geordie wrote:
I agree KC I've said a few times I didn't think the team v  Japan would be a "development side" ...purely because they're playing NZ next.  

What I like aswell as the obvious about CCS at 8 is his added lineout ability.  How long since we hadan 8 who was a proper lineout option!
And bringing Ted Hill in to the squad would add yet more physicality,  mobility and lineout. The potential combinations are exciting...

I do think Langdon missing out is a big blow. He's a proper dynamic player..with George due to be phased out Dan and Langdon give two exciting options at hooker. So I'd have loved to see Langdon in the side at some stage this tour.

I rate CCS incredibly highly but wouldn't say his lineout work will be that much of a strength at the top level. He's in that same bracket as Turry or Dombrandt where you can throw him up on your own ball if he's unopposed. He doesn't have a threat on opposition ball though. Those are the back row jumpers who actually make a difference. Especially on defensive lineouts.

Lawes, PSdT, Ollivon, POM, Bergadze. In the past the likes of Keiran Read, Parisse or Croft. Players like that allow you to man mark all the opposition jumpers. Usually in the middle of full lineouts. Forcing teams to throw to the front - which massively limits attacking options - or right to the tail - high risk. If you can execute that effectively, then teams usually start cutting numbers. Which increases retention but limits the platform that ball provides.

CCS will add another player you can throw to on your own ball but shouldn't have any impact defensively (in the air at least, with his strength he could be a beast in maul defence with more experience!) unless the oppositions lineout has really gone to s**t. Those option on your own ball are useful, but not actually a third lineout option in the way that Lawes recently talked about on the Cole and Youngs pod.

With the likes of Etzebeth, Snyman and Lood in the row, the Boks could 100% have a strong lineout on their own ball without a gun jumper in the back row. When PSdT is injured, they've generally gone with Mostert at blindside though, despite their strength at flanker and 8. Defensive lineouts are why. Having a strong defensive lineout without 3 second row level jumpers is tough.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 21 Jun 2024, 12:00 pm

CCS is a good lineout option and definite asset there. Only have to watch his games for Quins to see how he has got better and better.
I think he'll be fine there for England. Certainly a lot better than Curry as a lineout option.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 21 Jun 2024, 12:54 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Geordie wrote:
I agree KC I've said a few times I didn't think the team v  Japan would be a "development side" ...purely because they're playing NZ next.  

What I like aswell as the obvious about CCS at 8 is his added lineout ability.  How long since we hadan 8 who was a proper lineout option!
And bringing Ted Hill in to the squad would add yet more physicality,  mobility and lineout. The potential combinations are exciting...

I rate CCS incredibly highly but wouldn't say his lineout work will be that much of a strength at the top level. He's in that same bracket as Turry or Dombrandt where you can throw him up on your own ball if he's unopposed. He doesn't have a threat on opposition ball though. Those are the back row jumpers who actually make a difference. Especially on defensive lineouts.

Lawes, PSdT, Ollivon, POM, Bergadze. In the past the likes of Keiran Read, Parisse or Croft. Players like that allow you to man mark all the opposition jumpers. Usually in the middle of full lineouts. Forcing teams to throw to the front - which massively limits attacking options - or right to the tail - high risk. If you can execute that effectively, then teams usually start cutting numbers. Which increases retention but limits the platform that ball provides.

CCS will add another player you can throw to on your own ball but shouldn't have any impact defensively (in the air at least, with his strength he could be a beast in maul defence with more experience!) unless the oppositions lineout has really gone to s**t. Those option on your own ball are useful, but not actually a third lineout option in the way that Lawes recently talked about on the Cole and Youngs pod.

With the likes of Etzebeth, Snyman and Lood in the row, the Boks could 100% have a strong lineout on their own ball without a gun jumper in the back row. When PSdT is injured, they've generally gone with Mostert at blindside though, despite their strength at flanker and 8. Defensive lineouts are why. Having a strong defensive lineout without 3 second row level jumpers is tough.

Well we'll wait and see...ive seen him have some games where hes been very good in the lineout...and is only going to develop more there...i would suggest he'll be better that Tom curry, Dombrandt etc.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Jun 2024, 1:39 pm

mountain man wrote:I think Marcus be fine, the choice is only between him and Fin anyway now so I think he's the more attacking option. I'm sure Fin will be given time on field anyway so both be able to show what they can do.
Thing is Japan and NZ be so different in type of game played and intensity that a gameplan for Japan unlikely to work against NZ.
However it's a chance to get players to gel a bit. Defence is good I think, it's more how Eng go in attack I'm keen to see.

Marcus hasn't always been fine at 10 for England. He's a perfectly good flyhalf who just needs to make some small adjustments to his game for international rugby.

I'd hope we'd use the same game plan as we are planning to roll out for the ABs. Need to settle into it and get everything firing, particularly with a new 10 in place. Give Marcus every opportunity to bed in so he has the best chance to deliver Vs the ABs.

formerly known as Sam

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 21 Jun 2024, 2:42 pm

Marcus has never quite convinced for Eng as he's done for Quins but it's another level up playing Int rugby and less time with team mates as opposed to club etc but my point is he will be fine, you question if he can bring the right balance to England and I'm confident he can. I think he is more than just a perfectly good 10, he has potential to be an excellent one. He is for club, just needs for everything to click for country.

As for gameplan, Japan unlikely to match set piece as NZ will and I think they will want a more loose game so England need to be ready for that as I'm sure they will be. NZ at their best as we know have a complete game, so I think what works against Japan won't necessarily work against NZ.
We'll see.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 21 Jun 2024, 3:07 pm

mountain man wrote:Marcus has never quite convinced for Eng as he's done for Quins but it's another level up playing Int rugby and less time with team mates as opposed to club etc but my point is he will be fine, you question if he can bring the right balance to England and I'm confident he can. I think he is more than just a perfectly good 10, he has potential to be an excellent one. He is for club, just needs for everything to click for country.

As for gameplan, Japan unlikely to match set piece as NZ will and I think they will want a more loose game so England need to be ready for that as I'm sure they will be. NZ at their best as we know have a complete game, so I think what works against Japan won't necessarily work against NZ.
We'll see.
I agree and I think it might have been more difficult to get the best out of Smith M for England in the past since England have not been playing a style which suits his talents very well.  With the current apparent evolution in the England playing style, it would appear the stars are aligning for him this summer.  

I am also interested to see how Smith F gets on too.  But, to me, this summer is mostly about Smith M.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next