The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame

+22
88Chris05
Dass
Knowsit17
OasisBFC
kevchadders
The genius of PBF
manos de piedra
Fists of Fury
slash912
Lumbering_Jack
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
eddyfightfan
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Michaels, Sean
mikeymax71
captain carrantuohil
TRUSSMAN66
Imperial Ghosty
Daz
bellchees
Young_Towzer
Rowley
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame Empty Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

Dovetailing nicely with the Captain’s ongoing Hall of Fame thread came across an interesting article on which of today’s current fighter could expect the call from Canastota when they are comfortably enjoying their retirement. The article breaks current fighters down in to three categories, the first is those who can start working on their induction speech with absolute certainty it will not go to waste, the second is those with a strong possibility who could perhaps need a few more decent notches to make absolute certain and the final one is those with a good chance but who could definitely need a couple more wins to remove any element of doubt.

The three categories break down as such:
Lead-pipe cinches (8) – These men will earn induction into the Hall of Fame five years after their retirement even if they never win another fight: Marco Antonio Barrera, Evander Holyfield, Bernard Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr., Juan Manuel Marquez, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Erik Morales and Manny Pacquiao.

Very likely (8) – These men will most likely make it, but a few more quality wins would help the cause: Ivan Calderon, Miguel Cotto, Carl Froch, Chris John, Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir Klitschko, Rafael Marquez and Shane Mosley.

More likely than not (4) – These fighters have had good careers and will probably make it, even though their résumés could use some help: Joel Casamayor, Vic Darchinyan, Fernando Montiel and Giovani Segura.

What does everyone think of these, PED’s issues aside, which has been discussed before I cannot see too much to take issue with of the guarantees, although for me think classing Wlad and Vitali as not being in that category is a little harsh as I would expect both to get the call when appropriate. Also, as a fan of him and as a Brit is nice to see the tough run Froch has been on getting the recognition and that his chances of making it are rated so favourably on the other side of the pond. Would also be interested to see if anyone thinks there are any glaring ommisions in their list

For those with a wish to read it or with issues about the proper referencing of articles the link to the original thread is below.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-iole_boxing_rankings_hall_of_famers_062311

Last edited by rowley on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame Empty Re: Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

Apologies for the smileys they were added when I tried to do bold writing and were certainly not my idea.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame Empty Re: Who of the current crop makes the Hall of Fame

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

out of recent fighters i think the following will be in the Hof

Manny Pacquiao
Oscar de la Hoya
Shane Mosley
Winky Wright
Floyd Mayweather
Bernard Hopkins
Miguel Cotto

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:32 pm

Very likely (Cool – These men will most likely make it, but a few more quality wins would help the cause: Ivan Calderon, Miguel Cotto, Carl Froch, Chris John, Vitali Klitschko, Wladimir Klitschko, Rafael Marquez and Shane Mosley.
Mosley should make it anyway, 2 wins over a prime de la Hoya, Leija, 2 wins over Vargas, unbeatable at lightweight imo. He aint gonna get another big win now he's shot to bits and will hopefully retire. I think he would of hurt Pacquiao in his prime and posed Mayweather a lot more problems

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Mosley and the Klitschko's will get in and I'd put them in the top group. Wait until next Saturday and David Haye will either be a certain entry or a nearly certain non entry depending on the fight. I do think Wlad will get in even if he loses though. Also Martinez has as good a chance as any of the guys listed in the more likely than not section, he just needs some decent opposition.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Good article Jeff.

I also think the Klitschko's should be nailed on. Lack of oppostion is not their fault. The length of their reign should suffice. Nice to see Frochie on the potential list. He should be guaranteed if he wins the super six and wins a Kessler rematch. Both very tough fights for him though.

Good point about Sergio Martinez bellchees. Just hasnt had the best competition which is currently going against him. Besides not many people have heard of him which is a shame.

Do you think Diego Corrales will get a shout?

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

Both Corrales and Castillo might get a look in, Castillo really needs to retire though he's doing himself no favours.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:11 pm

bellchees wrote:Both Corrales and Castillo might get a look in, Castillo really needs to retire though he's doing himself no favours.

Blimey - didnt realise he was still active! Shocked

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

In a perfect world neither Castillo, Corrales or Martinez would get a look in at the current time. While he's currently high ranking P4P I don't think wins over Pavlik, Williams and Dzinziruk are enough to gain entry, he may go on to get some decent wins but I don't see who he can beat to join the elite.

Mayweather, Hopkins, Pacquiao, Marquez brothers, Vazquez, Barrera, Morales and Jones Jr are the certainties for me while anyone else is borderline

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:21 pm

Kind of agree with Ghosty's list......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

I more or less agree with Ghosty's list to but there are some bad entry's in the current hall so I can see some more getting in soon. Also Ghosty do you not think Mosley and Holyfield are certainties?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

I took Holyfield for granted I mean his career finished 10 years ago....

Not Mosley.....Forrest, Cotto and the rest make him miss out for me...

Just short.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

Darchinyan's career has been an extremely good one, and by the standards of Canastota, he really ought to be among the favourites for admission as his record stands. I suspect he may need a bantam weight belt to cement his place, though, bearing in mind the fact that he has operated in unfashionable divisions.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

Left Holyfield and Mosley out for the same reason although based on career they would both be included

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:40 pm

Holy is a shoe in...Mate...

Undefeated undisputed cruiser.........as well as the heavy exploits.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Shoe in on record yes but can't ignore the whole Evan Fields affair, as for Mosley he should never be getting near the HOF along with Toney

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:41 pm

Only problem with Holy Truss is to get in the hall you actually have to retire at some point. Think the way things are going Saul Alvarez will get in before him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

As Barry McGuigan was inducted to the HOF, and to be honest, he did not have an outstanding resume': so what are the chances of Hatton, or going back a bit Naz, Duke Mckenzie (3 weight champ) and Lloyd Honeyghan getting in?

Just seems the criteria for election does not seem consistent.

Also have not seen the lsit nut I would assume Calzaghe is a sure bet.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

Mikey Naz has been eligible for a couple of years and apparently splits the vote every year as the voting panel is largely American and they are not overly sold on him, although as you rightly say if you compare his record to Barry's it should be an absolute no brainer.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:44 pm

Mcguigan is in and the DON isn't...

You know who I mean....Undisputed welter, p4p no 1 and wbc jr midd champion!!.

Guess beating an old Eusebio, Cabrera and Taylor and losing to a part time boxer ..means an awful lot more than it looks on paper..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:46 pm

Do you think Diego Corrales will get a shout?
i wouldn't have him in there

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:47 pm

Mcguigan is in and the DON isn't...
guess being bust up by a untested Honeyghan, face muddled, nose broke and moving about with hands up slowly doing nothing, getting obliterated by Mike McCallum, Norris, etc doesn't mean much on paper..

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

I'm not rising to it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

I can't understand Doogie Howzers posts?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

Honeyghan was pretty well tested going into the Curry fight despite your protestations otherwise, do find your opinions quite strange especially when you hold Cotto in such high regard but each to their own

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

Personally - i dont think Naz should be in there at all. I'm a huge fan of his but he just didnt do enough at the top level.

Calzaghe will get in due to his length of his championship and the fact he beat nailed on HOFers Hopkins and Jones Jr.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:59 pm

Daz if the hall was reserved for the true elite I would agree but there are enough guys in there who make a nonsense of this statement, so it depends how you assess him, do you assess his acheievements against what the hall should be or against any number of the guys that are already in and are less deserving, if it is the former would agree if the latter he should be in there.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

You're wrong...he'll get in because of his reign!!

Norris beat Brown, Curry, Taylor, Mugabi and Leonard...but no one is suggesting he should be in..4 out of 5 of them names are more than world class with one superstar still half decent....

Jones was half dead when Calzaghe fought him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

Doogie Howzer calls curry a quitter but claims Cotto is the best thing since sliced bread even though he himself quit against Tony. Wheres the logic in that?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

He's on the windup.....All know the Doctor stopped the honey fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

Calzaghe and Dariuzs M will both get in as well

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:06 pm

Well Naz beat all of the governing bodies champs (robbed by WBA as they did not think Naz was suitable contender to Vasquez), had a lengthy reign and in layman's terms was undisputed champ.

Unfortunately he did not cover himself in glory in his defeat to MAB or try and regain his previous standing in the sport. However, this statement may seem controversial but if you take Frazier's win over Ali from his record where does stand as an all time great and won win should not cement HOF status.

Yet Naz cleaned out the division and gave the small fighters of the sport a window of opportunity to make a name for themselves unlike previous years.

I think he has more than done enough.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

david haye did unify the cruiserweight division, you could make an arguement for his entry on that alone, with his campain at heavyweight just the icing on the top.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:26 pm

Well Naz beat all of the governing bodies champs (robbed by WBA as they did not think Naz was suitable contender to Vasquez), had a lengthy reign and in layman's terms was undisputed champ.
Wasn't Morales a champ? or Marquez? or Mayweather? as far as i'm aware all 3 wanted to fight him.

Haye is more deserving than Naz if he beats Wladimir, he'll have unified the Cruiserweights and the Heavyweights

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

Mayweather started his career at super featherweight Naz never fought above featherweight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:36 pm

rowley wrote:
More likely than not (4) – These fighters have had good careers and will probably make it, even though their résumés could use some help: Joel Casamayor, Vic Darchinyan, Fernando Montiel and Giovani Segura.

~ Why sir, Mr. Jhonny Gonzales has wins over potential HOFers Mr. Montiel and Mr. Hozumi Hasegawa not to mention being one of the most exiting hard scrabble fighters of the modern era.

He may not be a lock, but look for him since he seems to be at a high point at age 29 sporting a 48-7, 42 KO record and won't be backing down from any big fights anytime soon.

Then we have Pongsaklek Wonjongkam, currently 80-3-1, 44 KO, so look for him also.

Toshiaki Nishioka, 38-4-3, 24 KO is currently blistering his division and has some superior markings of a great fighter.

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:42 pm

you've been put in your place now Rowley!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:you've been put in your place now Rowley!!!

I know it is a rare gift to be put in your place for something you didn't write!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

People like Hamed who should be in based on who has already earned induction but it's the age old problem that based on merit he shouldn't like a lot of the names we've mentioned here

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

Is getting in the hall of fame really such a big thing these days, after all Rocky was given his spot this year.

Of recent times I would put in Floyd, Manny, Hoppo, Jones, Morales, Barrera, Marquez, Mosely. That should be about the standard of fighter worthy of the hall of fame. It really cheapens it when people like Cortez have a place.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:07 pm

I think a better question would be which current fighters would make it into the Captains 606v2 HoF.

For me: Pacquiao, Mayweather, Hopkins, RJJ, Morales, Barrera. As far as the little men go I don't know enough about their respective careers to judge whether they'd make it.

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:32 am

No sign of Donaire in here? He stands a good chance.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:29 am

With regards Froch, I think his next couple of fights will be essential as to whether he makes it or not.

If he loses to Ward, then Im not sure if he makes it. Although he has good wins on his record, losing to two big divisional rivals in Ward and Kessler plus failing to establish himself as the main man at the weight and lacking longevity as a champ would cripple his claim for me.

If he beats Ward, then he should be a certainty. As it stands now, I kind of see it in hanging in the balance and suspect he will need to beat Ward to be included.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 25 Jun 2011, 2:37 am

manos de piedra wrote:With regards Froch, I think his next couple of fights will be essential as to whether he makes it or not.

If he loses to Ward, then Im not sure if he makes it. Although he has good wins on his record, losing to two big divisional rivals in Ward and Kessler plus failing to establish himself as the main man at the weight and lacking longevity as a champ would cripple his claim for me.

If he beats Ward, then he should be a certainty. As it stands now, I kind of see it in hanging in the balance and suspect he will need to beat Ward to be included.

I agree with most of what you say. Lose to Ward and he is arguably third best in his division and has no chance of entry, this is what I suspect will happen. Despite his willingness to travel and fight the best around I still don't think that Froch is that good of a fighter and will lose to Ward. If he beats Ward I still don't think that entry is certain for Froch but I really hope he does win the super 6 as he is a credit to the sport.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:32 am

Heavyweights:
Holyfield
Haye
Klitschko sisters
James Toney

Light Heavyweight:
RJJ
Hopkins

Super Middleweight:
Calzaghe
Froch

Middleweight:
Martinez

and the rest;
Floyd Mayweather Jr
Manny Pacquiao
Shane Mosley
Ricky Hatton
Vernon Forrest
Winky Wright
Marquez brothers
Diego Corrales
Castillo
Genaro Hernandez
Naseem Hamed
Barrera
Curry
Morales
De La Hoya
Vazquez

A few more I have left off the list.

Last edited by The genius of PBF on Sat 25 Jun 2011, 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sat 25 Jun 2011, 6:34 am

Miguel Cotto should not even be considered...quit against Margarito and Pacquiao...ducked the best fighters at 140 and never has been the man at 140, 147 and 154.

No way a hall of famer

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 25 Jun 2011, 7:13 am

The genius of PBF wrote:Miguel Cotto should not even be considered...quit against Margarito and Pacquiao...ducked the best fighters at 140 and never has been the man at 140, 147 and 154.

No way a hall of famer

Half six in the morning and you're already on the wind up. That's dedication. Do you ever have a day off or is being a plank a full time effort for you? I only ask because you may not be aware that your constant baiting and bickering with towzer is ruining the board for everyone else.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Sat 25 Jun 2011, 7:28 am

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
The genius of PBF wrote:Miguel Cotto should not even be considered...quit against Margarito and Pacquiao...ducked the best fighters at 140 and never has been the man at 140, 147 and 154.

No way a hall of famer

Half six in the morning and you're already on the wind up. That's dedication. Do you ever have a day off or is being a plank a full time effort for you? I only ask because you may not be aware that your constant baiting and bickering with towzer is ruining the board for everyone else.

Just so you know ive ignored you since I came back and from now on I will continue to do so.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:45 am

The genius of PBF: Just so you know ive ignored you since I came back and from now on I will continue to do so.
------
Fine by me, I made you a peace offering when you came back but you werent man enough to accept. Couldn't care less if you ignore me, just wish you would ignore towzer too instead of making posts like the one above which are clearly intended to antagonise him. It's very boring.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 25 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

PBF you were told in no uncertain terms yesterday to cut it out so please follow that advice

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next