The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open, Men's Semis match thread

+37
slashermcguirk
socal1976
whocares
laverfan
antonico
lorus59
Jeremy_Kyle
TRuffin
supervisor
Ent
Cogen
Dave.
luciusmann
invisiblecoolers
Good Golly I'm Olly
break_in_the_fifth
lags72
JuliusHMarx
debaters1
spuranik
barrystar
michael_o
CAS
Henman Bill
Josiah Maiestas
_homogenised_
ChequeredJersey
LuvSports!
summerblues
bogbrush
kingraf
Jahu
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
banbrotam
The Special Juan
lydian
41 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

French Open, Men's Semis match thread - Page 3 Empty French Open, Men's Semis match thread

Post by lydian Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:53 am

First topic message reminder :

So...1 hour to go, thought I'd create a specific match thread.

Its clear blue skies over Paris, not a cloud in sight and temp is already 26.5c and rising. Latest pic and temperature:
French Open, Men's Semis match thread - Page 3 Captur21

So the heat is literally on!

12pm GMT we have Nadal vs Djokovic, followed by David vs Goliath.

We've seen the predictions, heard the impersonations and listened to the musical quips, just need the action to start now!

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

French Open, Men's Semis match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: French Open, Men's Semis match thread

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:19 pm

Have to agree with JM, neither of these guys is on top form but Novak looks a bit lost
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

French Open, Men's Semis match thread - Page 3 Empty Re: French Open, Men's Semis match thread

Post by The Special Juan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:20 pm

Lunchtime! There's no greater irony than criticising a sportsperson when sitting down eating Very Happy
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

The lad at BBC just texted that Djokovic is 6'3, Ive heard Robbie Koenig list him at 6'4, yet he never ever seems taller than 6'2 Tsonga... Lazy reporting.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

Sloppy game from both. Nole looking very non-Nolesque right now.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:24 pm

Rafa gets called on time Shocked
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

The blondie was looking at me.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

Djokovic not at the races
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

His returns are not threatening enough, so easily for Rafa to hold serve
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

Rafa seems to be serving well today, that's making a huge difference.

Novak's radar seems a little off. He setting up the points pretty well, moving Rafa into position but then missing the final shot.

If this is the wind affecting him again, he really has to sort that out - it's an outdoor sport for goodness sake!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:27 pm

kingraf wrote:The lad at BBC just texted that Djokovic is 6'3, Ive heard Robbie Koenig list him at 6'4, yet he never ever seems taller than 6'2 Tsonga... Lazy reporting.

I wouldn't say he was any more than 6'1/6'2. Murray's 6'3 or something and is the tallest of the Big Four.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:29 pm

This really isn't a very interesting match to watch, unless you're partisan I guess.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:29 pm

Djoko debalanced like a headless chicken.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:29 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
_homogenised_ wrote:I am not buying the nonsense about Nadal's legs anymore. It's funny how he was supposedly finished and yet he's back, seemingly being in every final (unless Novak beats him), and running exactly the same as before. I call cowpat on it. If it really was as bad as it was said to be, there's no way he could come back playing to any kind of standard, and running the same as before.

If that's what you need to believe

Djokovic really is making unforced errors you wouldn't expect him to

It is kind of true, if Nadal was a footballer and he had just played a match where you couldn't really see much wrong with him other than a below par performance you can't imagine they would suddenly be out for 7/8 months.
Personally, I dont think that there was a major problem but a constant niggling one and the Rosol match was the last straw. And he said to himself, "thats it, I'm not playing anymore until this pain goes away"

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

You can't do that against Nadal, you just can't
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

Rafa brakes again. All done all done.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

"Signal Lost" picard
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

Turning into the worst match of the tournament, going to drink very early today thanks alot Nole
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Rafa seems to be serving well today, that's making a huge difference.

Novak's radar seems a little off. He setting up the points pretty well, moving Rafa into position but then missing the final shot.

If this is the wind affecting him again, he really has to sort that out - it's an outdoor sport for goodness sake!
I think it's a combination of ridiculous bounce (see how weak Nadal looked in the early rounds when the ball stayed down) plus he's playing very badly.

It's really rubbish, to my eyes.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

bogbrush wrote:This really isn't a very interesting match to watch, unless you're partisan I guess.

It's still not that interesting whilst Novak makes so many unforced errors, I'll freely admit that to see the best of Nadal you need someone to force him to make retrievals and to attack and he doesn't really need to do that yet
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

_homogenised_ wrote:I am not buying the nonsense about Nadal's legs anymore. It's funny how he was supposedly finished and yet he's back, seemingly being in every final (unless Novak beats him), and running exactly the same as before. I call cowpat on it. If it really was as bad as it was said to be, there's no way he could come back playing to any kind of standard, and running the same as before.

You really are a fan of Nadal arn´t you ??? Whistle So glad you are obviously enjoying the match Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

"Brakes" again, Jahu? with ABS?

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

Oh dear! Since that ankle incident, it's been the Novak of 2009

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

Oh, rotten drop shot!

I'm starting to think the game is up. Novak now needs two breaks of serve and he has yet to muster even one break point.

And you don't come back from two sets down v Rafa at RG.

On the positive side, I'm feeling less nervous now!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by michael_o Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

Djokovic seems totally unable to cope with the high bounce. Backhand largely ineffective today. Rafa's walking this at the moment.

michael_o

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

Still think Tsonga could beat Rafa if they both get through, needs to go all out attack like Rosol or Soderling though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

IBM slamtracker is quite interesting - if you look at "keys to the match" Nadal has been hitting all three of his keys for most of the match, and where he's fallen short he's been much closer to them than Djoko.

Something very radical is going to happen or this damp squib of a tournament is going to continue to rumble towards its drearily inevitable conclusion as Nadal tears whoever his opponent is a new one on Sunday.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

bogbrush wrote:It's really rubbish, to my eyes.
It certainly not shaping up to be a classic.

If Novak can get a break and get the wind in his sails, we might get an interesting match.

Rafa appears to have a pretty tight grip on it though.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

Novak fans we know who you are saying how he can compete with Nadal unlike Roger, what are they going to say after today?
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

King, no ABS, like the old stly sliding and smell of rubber. Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:35 pm

I have no doubt Novak will wake up but he has to do it before he goes 2 sets down,

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

This is what Novak needs to do, but a bit of hyperbole from the ITV commentators there. "Magnificent"?!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

And that was shocking
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:37 pm

Guys we have to look at the bright side, Nadal has finally been accepted as overlord by the French. It was rocky for a few years, but they got behind their king when his kingdom got challenged.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

game on!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

Well, this might come to life yet
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:40 pm

6-3 Nole this set?

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:40 pm

And there's the break back!

Come on Novak, stoke those fires!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Novak fans we know who you are saying how he can compete with Nadal unlike Roger, what are they going to say after today?

I've an idea. Let's wait until the match is over? picard

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:41 pm

Must try and make Nadal go for big shots, that is how he found success against him in the past
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:43 pm

Nole back in this set, but still looking very unconvincing. He looks very tense out there; maybe the occasion is getting to him a bit too.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:46 pm

kingraf wrote:Guys we have to look at the bright side, Nadal has finally been accepted as overlord by the French. It was rocky for a few years, but they got behind their king when his kingdom got challenged.

Why is that a bright side? They've always known he's the best clay courter ever, whether or not they like him is neither here nor there I'd say.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:48 pm

"World Class?"

Note that when he uses it, Nadal's touch at the net is actually sublime
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:50 pm

Played Djokovic. My prediction of Nadal in 4 looks alive
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Come on Novak, serve this out, make a game of it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

Momentum Novak
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:52 pm

Nole upping his game now. Can Rafa respond?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:52 pm

Yes
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:54 pm

just seen a tweet "Everybody come back in 2 hours for the 5th set" Laugh

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:55 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a match.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

Ooooo Just seen the score change. Has Novak raised his game? Come on Nole, blow away this moonballer! Novak in 4 still on.

Last edited by _homogenised_ on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next