The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland

+68
Scratch
Rory_Gallagher
dragonbreath
Sgt_Pooly
jamesandimac
SecretFly
Geordie
MissBlennerhassett
Breadvan
lostinwales
Scrumpy
HammerofThunor
Cyril
GunsGerms
BamBam
geoff998rugby
Cowshot
Exiledinborders
fa0019
Sin é
Poorfour
The Great Aukster
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
kiakahaaotearoa
Hood83
asoreleftshoulder
GloriousEmpire
bluestonevedder
nobbled
westisbest
whocares
MunsterMac
TopHat24/7
beshocked
rodders
No 7&1/2
Mickado
king_carlos
gregortree
Barney McGrew did it
Portnoy's Complaint
Feckless Rogue
Gibson
thomh
Engine#4
Jhamer25
Nachos Jones
DaveM
the-goon
englandglory4ever
Artful_Dodger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
Duty281
Chjw131
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
quinsforever
ChequeredJersey
captain carrantuohil
TJ
ME-109
Notch
adambarney
72 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 8 Empty England vs Ireland

Post by adambarney Sun 09 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Could be game of the six nations what do you think?

adambarney

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 8 Empty Re: England vs Ireland

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:It is the semi final of the six nations for Ireland. If they win they are into the final v France.

Rolling Eyes 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

quinsforever wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:It is the semi final of the six nations for Ireland. If they win they are into the final v France.
could still win even if they lose though

I hope so. Not sure if you will agree but the French are pretty disorganised and therefore beatable. I would be more disapointed if we cant beat France in Paris then if we lose to England in Twickers (not going to happen). Particularly because we have France in our WC group.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

Jiffy picks his 6N team of the week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26105572

have to say i agree with his selections. how often have english backs been in 4 out of 7 positions! not very often at all i imagine. good stuff.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:14 pm

quinsforever wrote:Jiffy picks his 6N team of the week

have to say i agree with his selections. how often have english backs been in 4 out of 7 positions! not very often at all i imagine. good stuff.

But it is only Jiffy!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:15 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
quinsforever wrote:Jiffy picks his 6N team of the week

But it is only Jiffy!
i know, i know. still, nice to see May and Burrell in his picks and they each only have 2 caps. but yes, i know.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:18 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
could still win even if they lose though

I hope so. Not sure if you will agree but the French are pretty disorganised and therefore beatable. I would be more disapointed if we cant beat France in Paris then if we lose to England in Twickers (not going to happen). Particularly because we have France in our WC group.
the french can lose to anyone on any given day. but they are still in with a shot at a GS, so i reckon they will rise to the occasion and pummel wales at MS.

which means that even after ireland lose to england, ireland still can win the 6N if they put enough points on france.  Yahoo 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:19 pm

"Did you know? Sexton has nailed 10 of his 12 kicks at goal in this Six Nations (83%). His 333 Test points put him third on Ireland's all-time list, behind Ronan O'Gara (1,083) and David Humphreys (560). "

Dont think this is true is it? Thought he missed two v Scotland and at least 1 v Wales?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:20 pm

quinsforever wrote:the french can lose to anyone on any given day. but they are still in with a shot at a GS, so i reckon they will rise to the occasion and pummel wales at MS.

which means that even after ireland lose to england, ireland still can win the 6N if they put enough points on france.  Yahoo 

Thats the spirit. Any ideas how I can get a couple of tickets for this?

Last edited by GunsGerms on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:20 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Cyril wrote:I'm not going to say Guns is anti-English but he's certainly English-sceptic Wink

But at least he is good for a laugh, not like that FW190 guy

Do you mean Messerschmitt ME-109?

I know what I mean

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:24 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Cyril wrote:I'm not going to say Guns is anti-English but he's certainly English-sceptic Wink

I know what I mean

thumbsup
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
quinsforever wrote:the french can lose to anyone on any given day. but they are still in with a shot at a GS, so i reckon they will rise to the occasion and pummel wales at MS.

Thats the spirit. Any ideas how I can get a couple of tickets for this?
will be very difficult, unless you are prepared to pay up. i had a look at trying to scalp eng v wal tickets, and the nosebleed seats started at gbp400!

am in the States next week otherwise i would be also trying to get tickets for the 22nd.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:28 pm

Yes, I think if we lose this one we have a good shot at the championship- so long as we only lose by a small margin. Beat Italy and we'll be mathematically in the hunt on the last weekend.

Of course if we lose this game we'll be under pressure to score a good few tries against the Italians, puff up the points difference, but we're looking good in terms of PD after 2 rounds. I was very happy Italy managed to hold France to 20, that late try by Iannone could be crucial.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:33 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

I know what I mean

thumbsup  

We know what you mean: just say 'Luftwaffe'.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

Self belief and over confidence (or cockiness if you like fly) are very different, and there's quite a lot of over confidence from some Irish fans on here - ok I have only found this site today so not much track record to go by.
I can understand the optimism with a new regime after the latter years under Kidney, but I would wager no one in the Irish camp are writing off this English team that has been building and improving over a good 2 years, taking some mighty scalps on the way, the same way some on here seem to be. 3 wins out of 5 is perhaps an encouraging start but no more than that, the team have hardly set the world alight, whereas the new England have, albeit only at times.

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:39 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Brown would never get a cap at fb if Hogg was English. Hogg is unbelievable with ball in hand.

I'm sure that could be arranged

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 10 Feb 2014, 2:53 pm

Recent history tells me to be a lot more optimistic about going to Twickenham than to Paris for Ireland. It's that one win in forty-odd years in France that wears away at me, however disorganised the French may be. Ireland have certainly got nothing like that to fear in London and I reckon they'll play with a lot of confidence, which is sometimes not the case when they have to go to Paris.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:02 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:Self belief and over confidence (or cockiness if you like fly) are very different, and there's quite a lot of over confidence from some Irish fans on here - ok I have only found this site today so not much track record to go by.
I can understand the optimism with a new regime after the latter years under Kidney, but I would wager no one in the Irish camp are writing off this English team that has been building and improving over a good 2 years, taking some mighty scalps on the way, the same way some on here seem to be. 3 wins out of 5 is perhaps an encouraging start but no more than that, the team have hardly set the world alight, whereas the new England have, albeit only at times.

Point out the over-confident comments Miss.  We'll discuss how over-confident any comments are when you point them out to us.  But as I said earlier, I think Guns is the only poster who has come out and placed his cards on the table (an Irish win).  Meanwhile there are a good few, shall we say, comfortably confident English posters here - glad they're here and pleased to meet them Wink Just as it should be.

But we maintain the right to say we have a chance, that we might win, that we could win, that we have players with the potential to win etc etc.  This is not Wales v England.  We Irish won't be knocked back into a kicking and screaming box of passion and fury meltdown.  We'll just repeat that if some English people think they'll win, then we reserve the right to think we have a chance too. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:04 pm

As a neutral I have ireland as favourites - because of their breakdown work and because of Sexton. Close tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:13 pm

Ireland don't stand a chance, we have Owen Farrell!

I think some of you are forgetting that.  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:17 pm

No Miss never brought that up! I thought Lancaster had dropped him??!!

That changes everything. Our goose is cooked.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
MissBlennerhassett wrote:Self belief and over confidence (or cockiness if you like fly) are very different, and there's quite a lot of over confidence from some Irish fans on here - ok I have only found this site today so not much track record to go by.

Point out the over-confident comments Miss.  We'll discuss how over-confident any comments are when you point them out to us.  But as I said earlier, I think Guns is the only poster who has come out and placed his cards on the table (an Irish win).  Meanwhile there are a good few, shall we say, comfortably confident English posters here - glad they're here and pleased to meet them Wink Just as it should be.

But we maintain the right to say we have a chance, that we might win, that we could win, that we have players with the potential to win etc etc.  This is not Wales v England.  We Irish won't be knocked back into a kicking and screaming box of passion and fury meltdown.  We'll just repeat that if some English people think they'll win, then we reserve the right to think we have a chance too. Wink

Just look at the thread Fly, I think your selective memory must be a sign of your advancing years Wink 

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Ireland don't stand a chance, we have Owen Farrell!

That meant to be a good thing for England?  Whistle 

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:24 pm

Even JD has 8 England player in his team of the week and even then I don't think we have the world's best coach and players in most positions. Or do we????

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:25 pm

Point the over-confident comments to me, Miss.  You're evading here.  I'm not reading through posts I've already read.  You made the point - you offer the evidence.

I think our problem here is that you see many many 'over-confident' posts from Irish people - possibly every single post on this thread Wink.  I read those same posts and see "self-belief".  You think Ireland has no grounds for 'self-belief' therefore you put it down to 'over-confidence'

But the point is - we're both reading the same comments - only from a different perspective.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

I just can't help but think England really missed a chance to try Ford vs Scotland, we need to know what he can and can't do at this level.

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

Ireland should be confident given the displays of both teams so far. Overconfident would be saying - "we will thump them" confident is saying - "we can beat them"

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:27 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Ireland don't stand a chance, we have Owen Farrell!

If Farrell has a good day with the boot and England are able to win penalties it will make it hard for Ireland.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Hogg is unbelievable with ball in hand.

I dont think Hogg with the ball in hand actually exists

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:28 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:Even JD has 8 England player in his team of the week and even then I don't think we have the world's best coach and players in most positions. Or do we????

You tell us Wink And then I'll analyse whether that's you having "self belief" or I may be very harsh and call it "over-confidence"

By the way... JD looked absolutely shell-shocked after the game. His voice left him at times. He was hardly going to do any more favours to an Irish team.

Last edited by SecretFly on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

Scrumpy wrote:I just can't help but think England really missed a chance to try Ford vs Scotland

Im pretty sure Ross was playing against Scotland  Whistle 

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Hogg is unbelievable with ball in hand.

I dont think Hogg with the ball in hand actually exists

The English forced him to play all game without it...which is a very good trick when meeting a player who likes balls.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Sigh. It's always a "new" England isn't it? They're always "building" and "improving" aren't they? They need seem to be built though. Expectations raise and falter like the tide. This weeks super star is tomorrow's dropped devil. England scraped past a deli posted Australia with the help of some very home calls from the referees and took out NZ when they had the norovirus. Can't think what these great scalps were...

I'm sitting back quietly and waiting for the ensuing great English implosion. At which point Lancaster will have "been holding England back" and we will see another "new" England who are "building" no doubt. Let's be honest it's more than a decade since they won a tournament of note and that is starting to look pretty old, whenever I check the battered vhs.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:35 pm

Did you travel half way round the world just for that GE?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:37 pm

Apart from this tournament 3 years ago, I guess. Apart from Wales and New Zealand, it's hard to think of another international side that's won a "tournament of note" more recently than England in 2011.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:Point the over-confident comments to me, Miss.  You're evading here.  I'm not reading through posts I've already read.  You made the point  - you offer the evidence.

I think our problem here is that you see many many 'over-confident' posts from Irish people - possibly every single post on this thread Wink.  I read those same posts and see "self-belief".  You think Ireland has no grounds for 'self-belief' therefore you put it down to 'over-confidence'

But the point is - we're both reading the same comments - only from a different perspective.

Show me where I said this......................oh it must be that selective, sorry I mean inventive, memory thing again. Smile 

Last edited by MissBlennerhassett on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm

Pete SB
Laugh Laugh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:42 pm

GE did we did win the 6 nations in 2011?

Agreed it wasn't a GS but Wales have made a living off a none GS winning season over the last 12 months.  Wink 

Talk like yours only goes to show that teams still fear England imo.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:43 pm

By the way... how many feet above the Thames at Twickenham is Billies Cabbage Patch ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:44 pm

MissBlennerhassett wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Point the over-confident comments to me, Miss.  You're evading here.  I'm not reading through posts I've already read.  You made the point  - you offer the evidence.

Show me where I said this......................oh it must be that selective, sorry I mean inventive, memory thing again. Smile 

Oh so now you admit it might just be 'self-belief' that the Irish are guilty of after all then? Which of course is no guilt at all as it's totally different to 'over-confidence' by your own definition.

Look - in conclusion, I'm only too delighted that the English have 'self-belief' - they have a right to it. They've played some very slick, pacy and heavy duty ball carrying rugby in the last few games. And I've said so on more than one occasion on different threads over the two weeks.
So 'self-belief' it is then.... and for some strange reason, we have some of it too this year. QED

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:45 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Talk like yours only goes to show that teams still fear England imo.

Smile What??

If GE is actually a Kiwi he has no reason to fear England. As he will never, ever, ever tire of telling you. Never. Not ever.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:51 pm

Notch wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Talk like yours only goes to show that teams still fear England imo.

Smile What??

If GE is actually a Kiwi he has no reason to fear England. As he will never, ever, ever tire of telling you. Never. Not ever.

The fact that his here every day knocking England makes me think he isn't a Kiwi at all!

I bet he is sat in a tiny terraced house in the Valley's living off hand outs from the state.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by MissBlennerhassett Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm

We'll agree on that fly - self belief is fine, over confidant bragging is likely to come back and bite you in the a4se!

Agree about JD, he does paint a priceless picture after Wales are stuffed. Like a DO Cognac after a fantastic meal, a perfect end to a perfect evening!

MissBlennerhassett

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Notch wrote:

:)What??

The fact that his here every day knocking England makes me think he isn't a Kiwi at all!

I bet he is sat in a tiny terraced house in the Valley's living off hand outs from the state.

Great contribution. Smart to reply to a moderator with personal comments directed towards another member. Just a clever post all round mate  clap 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 10 Feb 2014, 3:57 pm

GE is simply best ignored. He is deliberately trying to stir up argument and some of you get sucked it

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:01 pm

SecretFly wrote:
MissBlennerhassett wrote:

Oh so now you admit it might just be 'self-belief' that the Irish are guilty of after all then?  Which of course is no guilt at all as it's totally different to 'over-confidence' by your own definition.

Look - in conclusion, I'm only too delighted that the English have 'self-belief' - they have a right to it.  They've played some very slick, pacy and heavy duty ball carrying rugby in the last few games.  And I've said so on more than one occasion on different threads over the two weeks.
So 'self-belief' it is then.... and for some strange reason, we have some of it too this year.  QED

All this 'Believe' stuff....we've all been viewing too many of those Guiness adverts, but there is nothing wrong with a spot of belief.
Its only Moday the 10th. We have another 12 days of this kind of banter to get through + post match chat. So please pace yourselves ladies and gentlemen.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:01 pm

Apologies Secretfly when reading some of the comments on the rest of thread you can see that it's mostly an Irish WUM, a Welsh WUM and a Scottish WUM who are bigging up Ireland.

Though Gibson and Artful Dodger have been overconfident about Ireland too.

by Gibson Yesterday at 7:49 pm
Artful_Dodger wrote:All I'm going to say it that I have a lot of faith in Joe Schmidt's game plan and that I think for England to beat us I think they will have to put in something very special in every area of the pitch. I'm really starting to see Schmidt as a strategic and tactical genius.

And that's exactly what will win it for us. He is light years ahead of the rest in the NH. As is Sexton at 10. The two main reasons why we will beat England. And beat them well.

Believe.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:02 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:And would you say theres been a clear change in game and standards.

Off the chart.

Previously we played the same tactic every match. We were the mist predictable team in the world and gave away too many penalties.

Under Schmidt our tactics have been different almost every game, error count gone and very few penalties. We are now really well drilled, the detail unbelievable and dicipline good.

I'm not looking to WUM or anything GG but i've heard this a couple of times about Schmidt. If that's the case then what happened about Australia in the AI's? They seemed there for the taking for you guys but it wasn't even close, was that just a one off or signs of underlying issues?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

Notch wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
Notch wrote:

:)What??

Great contribution. Smart to reply to a moderator with personal comments directed towards another member. Just a clever post all round mate  clap 

GE seems to get away with baiting and wumming English fans all day, why is that Notch?

Power does strange things to some people Notch, history is littered with examples, try and not let it happen to you fella!  thumbsup

btw not all of us can be smart  Whistle 

Last edited by Scrumpy on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:08 pm

Back on topic.

I didn't see BODs reaction after the game on Sat, was he some what happy?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 10 Feb 2014, 4:09 pm

beshocked wrote:Apologies Secretfly when reading some of the comments on the rest of thread you can see that it's mostly an Irish WUM, a Welsh WUM and a Scottish WUM who are bigging up Ireland.

Though Gibson and Artful Dodger have been overconfident about Ireland too.

by Gibson Yesterday at 7:49 pm
Artful_Dodger wrote:All I'm going to say it that I have a lot of faith in Joe Schmidt's game plan and that I think for England to beat us I think they will have to put in something very special in every area of the pitch.  I'm really starting to see Schmidt as a strategic and tactical genius.  

And that's   exactly what will win it for us. He is light years ahead of the rest in the NH. As is Sexton at 10. The two main reasons why we will beat England. And beat them well.

Believe.

Oh stop. Irish fans saying Ireland can win is over-confident? Don't be ridiculous. Are we not allowed to believe in our team now?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next