The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland

+68
Scratch
Rory_Gallagher
dragonbreath
Sgt_Pooly
jamesandimac
SecretFly
Geordie
MissBlennerhassett
Breadvan
lostinwales
Scrumpy
HammerofThunor
Cyril
GunsGerms
BamBam
geoff998rugby
Cowshot
Exiledinborders
fa0019
Sin é
Poorfour
The Great Aukster
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
kiakahaaotearoa
Hood83
asoreleftshoulder
GloriousEmpire
bluestonevedder
nobbled
westisbest
whocares
MunsterMac
TopHat24/7
beshocked
rodders
No 7&1/2
Mickado
king_carlos
gregortree
Barney McGrew did it
Portnoy's Complaint
Feckless Rogue
Gibson
thomh
Engine#4
Jhamer25
Nachos Jones
DaveM
the-goon
englandglory4ever
Artful_Dodger
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
majesticimperialman
doctor_grey
Duty281
Chjw131
WELL-PAST-IT
yappysnap
quinsforever
ChequeredJersey
captain carrantuohil
TJ
ME-109
Notch
adambarney
72 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 12 Empty England vs Ireland

Post by adambarney Sun 09 Feb 2014, 2:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Could be game of the six nations what do you think?

adambarney

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland - Page 12 Empty Re: England vs Ireland

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:24 pm

SecretFly wrote:Yis can hit anyone yis like, with my blessing...but just leave BOD alone.  

It's his last 6N and he wants to get to the end of it, for old time's sake Sad

Itd be hilarious if Schmidt dropped him for the last game though wouldnt it

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:26 pm

I think BOD will equal Gregan's test cap record if he plays. Hopefully he'll finish as the most capped player of all time. Mind you it's a record that probably won't last that long.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:27 pm

The look on Keith Wood's face would be priceless!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 9:37 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Yis can hit anyone yis like, with my blessing...but just leave BOD alone.  

Itd be hilarious if Schmidt dropped him for the last game though wouldnt it

Hilarious for you...I'm sure of it.  For Schmidt, it'd be a ticket to oblivion in some parts of Ireland...especially around some of the places he lives.

No - in all seriousness, those two have a pact with each other - and if I know BOD, it's probably in writing in his IRFU contract.  Schmidt coaxed him to stay another year.  This 6N and the New Zealand game were the reasons.  BOD ain't getting dropped by anyone anymore - I'd say that's written in print.  Didn't you see him waving away the sideline as they were about to take him off late in the game?  He calls his own shots in this retirement gig.

If he survives England, I'd say he'll rest through Italy and have his swansong against France.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 10 Feb 2014, 10:07 pm

Ha some chance sure BOD practically picks the team - Joe tried to take him off near the end of the Wales game for Boss and he refused to go!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm

gregortree wrote:Hooking for fish ? In Hartley's mouth ?

Sure wouldn't a harpoon be better?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:00 pm

It seems Dallaglio is worried:
"England will pay a lot of attention to Sexton who is so important to Ireland. If they tackle hard and happen to get him off the field, things would be a lot easier."

If Farrell was taken off early who plays 10?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:02 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:It seems Dallaglio is worried:
"England will pay a lot of attention to Sexton who is so important to Ireland. If they tackle hard and happen to get him off the field, things would be a lot easier."

If Farrell was taken off early who plays 10?

36 helped by Care. Barritt to 12. Not ideal. Unless Lancaster picks Ford but that would be a very tough match for a debut
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:08 pm

So much talk about getting players off the field.  

Doesn't anyone want to test themselves against the best any more?

No I'm not saying Sexton is 'the best' - I'm saying the idea that an ex-player is analysing the game by talking about the prospects of taking a key player off the field........... maybe it's best just keep those tactical thoughts to yourself Dallaglio.

David Wallace was tactically taken out of a game against England - it ended his career.  Is that a fair result to a one game strategy?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:21 pm

I don't think we not the England set up will be looking to follow Dayglo's advice. However, England will definitely test Sexton's mettle and temper will some legal hits and the likes of Billy V and maybe Burrell looking at his channel in attack
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:26 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I don't think we not the England set up will be looking to follow Dayglo's advice. However, England will definitely test Sexton's mettle and temper will some legal hits and the likes of Billy V and maybe Burrell looking at his channel in attack

Legal hits okay with me...to influence a game.... to make a player make a mistake, lose a ball, disrupt a building move etc - not to take a player out of the game.  To have thoughts like that is to have thoughts about injuring a player sufficiently to take him out of the game.  That's not rugby, that's something else.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:29 pm

SecretFly wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:I don't think we not the England set up will be looking to follow Dayglo's advice. However, England will definitely test Sexton's mettle and temper will some legal hits and the likes of Billy V and maybe Burrell looking at his channel in attack

Legal hits okay with me...to influence a game.... to make a player make a mistake, lose a ball, disrupt a building move etc - not to take a player out of the game.  To have thoughts like that is to have thoughts about injuring a player sufficiently to take him out of the game.  That's not rugby, that's something else.

Yep, and I think Dayglo is being an idiot
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:"England will pay a lot of attention to Sexton who is so important to Ireland. If they tackle hard and happen to get him off the field, things would be a lot easier.

Yeah I saw that and "WTF?" was my reaction.

I've read and listened to Dallaglio a long time and actually don't think he really meant what that sounds like. But it really doesn't sound right.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:36 pm

It is nothing. I doubt he is suggesting they should intentionally Sexton but rather paying him a compliment.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 10 Feb 2014, 11:45 pm

Some compliment.  "You might be getting a ticket to retirement Sexton, that's how highly our boys should rate you."

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:22 am

TJ wrote:Accidental surely?  No one complained
warburton tried to make a bit of a meal of it, but when his teammates all turned around and siad "wish i'd done that", WRUburton got the message and quietened the fupp down.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:23 am

i agree with this. was a bit poor to see scott williams try to put the hurt on BOD on Sat.

karma...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:27 am

i dont think any of the england players will try to hurt sexton. lawes seems to have controlled his inner beast these days and he would definitely have been most likely to have a go.

i reckon the english players would much rather get the chargedown by going for the ball than hurt the man.

i've generally been really really pleased and impressed with how clean and clinical the england players have been in the last 4/5 games. except farrell who loves to try to wind people up with small pushes. he's not an idiot though as its clearly never enough to get himself yellowed. makes him look a tool though.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:35 am

quinsforever wrote:i dont think any of the england players will try to hurt sexton. lawes seems to have controlled his inner beast these days and he would definitely have been most likely to have a go.

i reckon the english players would much rather get the chargedown by going for the ball than hurt the man.

i've generally been really really pleased and impressed with how clean and clinical the england players have been in the last 4/5 games. except farrell who loves to try to wind people up with small pushes. he's not an idiot though as its clearly never enough to get himself yellowed. makes him look a tool though.

That's not quite true. Marler is too short to charge kicks down and so England (and Quins) have taken to using him to put in some big - but thus far totally legal - hits on the opposition. If Sexton is ever in his sights and even fractionally too slow to get the ball away, he can expect to be knocked flat.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:59 am

personally i would be very disappointed if there was even a hint of attempting to hurt sexton.

england are good enough to aim to win on merit, not by nobbling the irish 10.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 11 Feb 2014, 1:07 am

Going for the oppositions biggest threat and putting him on his orse as soon as possible is pretty standard stuff in rugby. It's the first thing they teach kids in Munster. And anywhere where the warlike side of the game is appretiated. England have always appretiated it. I remember BOD getting two or three late hard hits against England in '09 when he was the big threat (but he kept getting up and lifting the crowd and the team). And Wallace missing out on the RWC after being hit hard by Tuilagi.

Lawes has already said he's expecting a brawl in an interview. Which we all love to see. But talking about getting a player off the field to make things easier isn't really in the spirit of the game. I'm sure Dallaglio knows that and that sentence just came out wrong. Dallaglio was BOD's team mate when the All Blacks "happened" to get him off the field in '05.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 11 Feb 2014, 1:34 am

SecretFly wrote:So much talk about getting players off the field.  

No I'm not saying Sexton is 'the best' - I'm saying the idea that an ex-player is analysing the game by talking about the prospects of taking a key player off the field........... maybe it's best just keep those tactical thoughts to yourself Dallaglio.

David Wallace was tactically taken out of a game against England - it ended his career.  Is that a fair result to a one game strategy?

Just cant say that. Very sad end to a great player's career - but you cannot accuse England (e.g. Tuilagi) of targeting him on purpose in that way.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 11 Feb 2014, 1:47 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:Going for the oppositions biggest threat and putting him on his orse as soon as possible is pretty standard stuff in rugby. It's the first thing they teach kids in Munster. And anywhere where the warlike side of the game is appretiated. England have always appretiated it. I remember BOD getting two or three late hard hits against England in '09 when he was the big threat (but he kept getting up and lifting the crowd and the team). And Wallace missing out on the RWC after being hit hard by Tuilagi.

Lawes has already said he's expecting a brawl in an interview. Which we all love to see. But talking about getting a player off the field to make things easier isn't really in the spirit of the game. I'm sure Dallaglio knows that and that sentence just came out wrong. Dallaglio was BOD's team mate when the All Blacks "happened" to get him off the field in '05.

Dallaglio was on that Wasps team that targeted O'Gara and took him out of that Heineken Cup semi game in 2004. Paul Volley boasted about how it was his job to get him out off. He did after about half an hour.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:00 am

11 days to go and 12 pages in?  Laugh 

At least this fixture isn't being played near to St Patricks day or The Cheltenham festival. Thats a sure fire, nailed on Ireland win. Plus England tormentor in chief Sir Thomas Bowe is out injured...

Eng to romp home by 30 then  Cool
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:32 am

SecretFly wrote:So much talk about getting players off the field.  

If you're talking about the Manu hit on him then that's a load of bollix. Wallace was breaking past Manu who smashed him off the pitch legally. Nothing in it and 9 times out of 10 the player would walk away unscathed.

Apologies if it's a different hit though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:37 am

Sin é wrote:
Feckless Rogue wrote:Going for the oppositions biggest threat and putting him on his orse as soon as possible is pretty standard stuff in rugby. It's the first thing they teach kids in Munster. And anywhere where the warlike side of the game is appretiated. England have always appretiated it. I remember BOD getting two or three late hard hits against England in '09 when he was the big threat (but he kept getting up and lifting the crowd and the team). And Wallace missing out on the RWC after being hit hard by Tuilagi.

Dallaglio was on that Wasps team that targeted O'Gara and took him out of that Heineken Cup semi game in 2004.  Paul Volley boasted about how it was his job to get him out off. He did after about half an hour.

All good players are targeted. It's a part of the game and especially for a fly half. I would be stunned if any 10 went in to a match not expecting a few cheap hits from the opposition backrow.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:46 am

Sin é wrote:

Dallaglio was on that Wasps team that targeted O'Gara and took him out of that Heineken Cup semi game in 2004.  Paul Volley boasted about how it was his job to get him out off. He did after about half an hour.

Well given how much you lot used to whinge about ROG Im surprised you didnt give the guys a biscuit

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:05 am

Is it too early to bring up Healy trying to damage Cole's leg out of fear? In fact Cole hasn't been the same player since.

Too early? Wait till next week?  Whistle 

Just to be clear I don't think Healy was attempting to injure anyone

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:07 am

It was different in the days of Flannery, he didnt target anyone specific just the world in general

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:57 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Is it too early to bring up Healy trying to damage Cole's leg out of fear? In fact Cole hasn't been the same player since.

True true, because stamping on someone's ankle is a sign of affection, likewise throwing punches at someone's head. I'm sure couples across the country will be copying those moves again this Friday!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:28 am

Targeting Sexton to remove him from the game and then Halfpenny vs. Wales would make England’s job a lot easier. I’d also have a go at North’s glass ankles.

Mr Dallaglio might be on to something here.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:32 am

yappysnap wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Is it too early to bring up Healy trying to damage Cole's leg out of fear? In fact Cole hasn't been the same player since.

True true, because stamping on someone's ankle is a sign of affection, likewise throwing punches at someone's head. I'm sure couples across the country will be copying those moves again this Friday!

Cole has also stopped collapsing mauls, lying on the wrong side of the ruck and intentionally slowing down ball too. Actually no he hasnt just kidding. If you try to slow down ball with a hand or foot you are fair game for a stamp. Nyanga got the same treatment v England. One rule for England another for everyone else?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:36 am

Look its fair game to target Hartely with the odd choke hold or fishook as hes a git.
Cole is a nice guy though. Unlike his sister.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:37 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Look its fair game to target Hartely with the odd choke hold or fishook as hes a git.
Cole is a nice guy though. Unlike his sister.

Its good practice to target Hartley because he is easy to wind up. Cole is a nice guy alright it seems. Who is his sister Cheryl Cole?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:45 am

I think missing the Lions tour has changed Hartley.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

Scrumpy wrote:I think missing the Lions tour has changed Hartley.

Seems to have motivated him a lot alright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:08 am

Sexton is one of the bigger 10s in international rugby as Farrell is also. Not easy to rough either of them up though if I was going to try it vs Ireland I would get Lawes the 10 mauler to do the task with Marler and Hartley as his able disciples.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

Has Hartley ever been disciplined whilst with the England team. I cant remember any? Maybe wrong of course. Likewise Marler.

So dont think winding them up will work.

O'Mahony however now he's worth a wind up...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

beshocked wrote:Sexton is one of the bigger 10s in international rugby as Farrell is also. Not easy to rough either of them up though if I was going to try it vs Ireland I would get Lawes the 10 mauler to do the task with Marler and Hartley as his able disciples.

Ireland will be hunting in packs if anyone touches Sexton. Liam Williams tried to "rough up" Paddy Jackson after his try. The ensuing melee saw Mike Philips get a yellow card. Joubert is no mug and will surely be wise to any such antics.

It is so English to think of ways to cheat before the game has even kicked off.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:22 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Has Hartley ever been disciplined whilst with the England team. I cant remember any? Maybe wrong of course. Likewise Marler.

Its impossible to wind up O'Mahony because he is perminantly already wound up.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:23 am

laughing 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:24 am

GunsGerms wrote:
beshocked wrote:Sexton is one of the bigger 10s in international rugby as Farrell is also. Not easy to rough either of them up though if I was going to try it vs Ireland I would get Lawes the 10 mauler to do the task with Marler and Hartley as his able disciples.

Ireland will be hunting in packs if anyone touches Sexton. Liam Williams tried to "rough up" Paddy Jackson after his try. The ensuing melee saw Mike Philips get a yellow card. Joubert is no mug and will surely be wise to any such antics.

So is Kearney going to push anyone who pushes with Sexton? No-one pushes like Mr Kearney.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Has Hartley ever been disciplined whilst with the England team. I cant remember any? Maybe wrong of course. Likewise Marler.

Aside from when he got peckish?

There was a lot of niggle in that game.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

GunsGerms wrote:

So tackling Sexton is illegal now? He's not Dan Carter you know!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

GunsGerms wrote:

Its impossible to wind up O'Mahony because he is perminantly already wound up.

True...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:27 am

Not sure kearny will be playing, apparently he's busy helping one direction beat up mike Phillips

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:28 am

Genuinely couldnt remember if he'd been yellow'd or red whilst playing for England. His discipline has generally been good whilst with the national side.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:28 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Not sure kearny will be playing, apparently he's busy helping one direction beat up mike Phillips

As long as it's unavoidable or for a good cause, I can accept not playing their best team.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:28 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
So is Kearney going to push anyone who pushes with Sexton? No-one pushes like Mr Kearney.

Kearndog is too posh to push dont you know. Thats what the Munster boyos are in the team for.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:29 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Genuinely couldnt remember if he'd been yellow'd or red whilst playing for England. His discipline has generally been good whilst with the national side.

Wasn't carded, just banned for several weeks

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next