The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

+67
The Saint
GavinDragon
asoreleftshoulder
Engine#4
Hound of Harrow
doctornickolas
The Great Aukster
lostinwales
Jimpy
profitius
Metal Tiger
stub
Ozzy3213
ME-109
RF09
No 7&1/2
stevetynant
quinsforever
thebandwagonsociety
Cardiff Dave
Eustace H Plimsoll
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
kiakahaaotearoa
gregortree
No9
slane
Rugby Fan
XR
rodders
Geordie
GunsGerms
englandglory4ever
munkian
Pot Hale
nathan
Welshmushroom
Scrumpy
Poorfour
Feckless Rogue
wolfball
broadlandboy
whocares
andyi
Portnoy's Complaint
SecretFly
Notch
Irish Londoner
geoff998rugby
Dubbelyew L Overate
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
monwy
Exiledinborders
malky1963
Jenifer McLadyboy
Brendan
beshocked
LordDowlais
KiaRose
Sin é
Heaf
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
LeinsterFan4life
wayne
LondonTiger
71 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

The New European Cup Thread (Merged) - Page 8 Empty The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone provide an update on what is going to actually happen from next season?

A factual update would be welcome. As brief as possible.

Opinionated views not so.

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

The New European Cup Thread (Merged) - Page 8 Empty Re: The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:01 pm

Really I thought you were still charging the Italian teams. Albeit less. Still doesn't take away the point that you have taken a nice amount of money from the Italians.

I am sure if you disagreed with the Welsh & Scots, you could have voiced your concern a bit more vocally.

Bit confused what you mean by x 4 and by 12.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

The New European Cup Thread (Merged) - Page 8 Empty Re: The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

Post by Sin é Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:01 pm

beshocked wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:"None of the 12 AP teams are denied a place.."

But they have to earn it and there is another 11 teams trying to do the same thing.

Its a win win for the Euro Cup as they get top teams and not canon fodder, win win for the Aviva fans who get to watch teams week in week out trying to earn the right and ultimately a win win for the International team as the players are performing to a high level, pressure environment week in week out

Except when teams rest players. I must say that our teams (AP teams) have been guilty of resting players at certain times.

At least 3 times this season I have felt that the opposition to my team put up the white flag before the match due to resting players/ not playing full strength teams. It's meant we have picked up 3 comfortable 5 pointers. To me that's disappointing. In those three cases I wanted to see the opposition giving it their all with a full strength team to win.

Its interesting to note that Toulouse are resting some of their big players this weekend even though they are playing Toulon and the table is very tight in the Top 14).

Noves is resting Maestri, Fickou and Medard for their trip to Thomond Park the following week.
I don't think either Munster or Leinster are resting anyone this weekend. (Leinster are a fair few injuries though like Healy).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm

Scrumpy wrote:"None of the 12 AP teams are denied a place.."

But they have to earn it and there is another 11 teams trying to do the same thing.

Its a win win for the Euro Cup as they get top teams and not canon fodder, win win for the Aviva fans who get to watch teams week in week out trying to earn the right and ultimately a win win for the International team as the players are performing to a high level, pressure environment week in week out

Canon fodder? So then the Italian nation should be excluded from European competition because they are nothing more than canon fodder? Maybe they should drop the name European from the competition? Wait! Maybe they already have!

Seem to remember some of those you would describe as canon fodder beating some of the top seeded teams....

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm

Well said Rodders. It is a European club tourny and best clubs from the 3 European major leagues will qualify.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:04 pm

"I don't think either Munster or Leinster are resting anyone this weekend. (Leinster are a fair few injuries though like Healy)."

They've rested their players in the 1st half of the season.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:05 pm

beshocked wrote:Really I thought you were still charging the Italian teams. Albeit less. Still doesn't take away the point that you have taken a nice amount of money from the Italians.

I am sure if you disagreed with the Welsh & Scots, you could have voiced your concern a bit more vocally.

Bit confused what you mean by x 4 and by 12.

Any 'nice' amount of money was for covering expenses. It also meant that the Italians really had to commit to the Pro12 as in if they did it half-heartedly, it would really screw everyone up as they would have taken on extra playing staff to cover the extra games.

There was no income coming in from media or sponsorship and its not like any of the Celtic teams have loads of cash. The Italians now have a media deal which is something.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

Scrumpy wrote:"I don't think either Munster or Leinster are resting anyone this weekend. (Leinster are a fair few injuries though like Healy)."

They've rested their players in the 1st half of the season.

As before any chance you can provide actual facts Irish teams rested players more than English teams

Basically put up or shut up  thumbsup 

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

Scrumpy wrote:

So Leinster Munster and Ulster are poor are they?  Laugh 

There isnt anywhere near as much money in the Irish teams as the French and English teams. They are just better managed.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

ignore

Last edited by geoff998rugby on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:09 pm

Munchkin you think winning a match or two means that a side has earnt their spot in the HC?

Sin e Top 14 is a bit silly when it comes to home and away. I guess Toulouse are playing away?

it's an Irish tactic to have a derby day a week before the HC round to get in the right mindset. As scrumpy says the resting has been done before hand.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:10 pm

rodders wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:So England and France are guarenteed 6 teams with a potential 7th in a play off. While Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy are each guarenteed 1 team.

Thats really fair. Well dont PRL, bunch of____________

Well on current form I'd say Ireland are guaranteed 3 teams in fairness ... angel 

Thats true but what gets me about this is that England and France feel the need to have more teams in the competition because they don't win enough!

Thats what it looks like, now this would have been fine if the smaller countries (Scotland, Italy, Wales) were allowed to keep their current contingent but they're not and they are losing out to facilitate the 2 countries that already have the largest contingent in the competition.  

So heres a question if Wales (who currently have a superb international team) only have one team in this new competition, where are they going to find their future internationals? the Rabo? It's a joke!

Last edited by slane on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm

rodders wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:So England and France are guarenteed 6 teams with a potential 7th in a play off. While Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy are each guarenteed 1 team.

Well on current form I'd say Ireland are guaranteed 3 teams in fairness ... angel 

Why not 4? The English are guarentted 6.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:

So Leinster Munster and Ulster are poor are they?  Laugh 

There isnt anywhere near as much money in the Irish teams as the French and English teams. They are just better managed.

You don't think playing in over 15 consecutive HCs helped? Perhaps with gaining much needed experience for players, revenue,recruitment etc?

You don't think it's been a huge advantage having that security of being in the HC every season with basically no side to challenge your place?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm

Munchkin wrote:Mainly focused on divvying up the English games? I had read that they were focused on divvying up all games, but then maybe you're right. The Irish are hardly an attraction are they? The real money spinner would be to just show English v English games.

This broadcasting pick deal sounds a nightmare. Would it really mean fans have to subscribe to both Sky and BT to watch all Euro games? If that's true it will already be a lesser tournament.

The Guardian [boo hiss] or Telegraph [boo hiss] said that BT would have the first pick of three games involving English teams. Then Sky would have first pick of three games without English teams. Then the rest would be divvied up using an algorithm [fancy] based on the English involvement. Then Sky would have first pick of three English games at the second tier and BT would have first pick of three non-English games, and the rest divvied up. Clearly this may be anglo-centric as it is the Guardian/Telegraph.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

The end of season run in is when the big Guns come out to play.

All rested and wanting to earn their money no doubt.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:16 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
rodders wrote:

Ah but the English need 6 to guarantee any sort of success  censored 

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

How many times have we ploughed this ground ? This is the worst possible way of selecting 20 European club teams ... apart from the alternatives.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:21 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:And why is that the case? The same reason the Unions didn't stick to their guns and leave out the English. Because the English are revenue generators (if the reports are true and Sky and BT are mainly focused on divvying up the English games). Because they know they will get more sponsorship, more TV money if the English are involved. A bigger English involvement will mean more money for them. Please don't pretend it's anything else.

Not pretending anything.
What you do confirm though is what we all know it is all about the big boys throwing their weight around - it isn't because of the respective abilities of the teams involved.

Who say it's throwing weight around? If Sky said to the ERC, "We'll increase our offer by XX if the minimum English participation to 6" and they rubbed their hands together with glee, that's not the English throwing their weight around. Why didn't the 'ERC' stick with their 5 union competition if the new deal is so bad? Surely it's because they think the new deal is better. They said they were going to get the same money so why not stick to it? Why agree to a competition where the evil English have relatively more spots? Staying involved with these greedy bastards who want to destroy all rugby outside of England? What could the becons of hope and virtue be thinking?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm

beshocked wrote:

Munchkin you think winning a match or two means that a side has earnt their spot in the HC?

Sin e Top 14 is a bit silly when it comes to home and away. I guess Toulouse are playing away?

it's an Irish tactic to have a derby day a week before the HC round to get in the right mindset. As scrumpy says the resting has been done before hand.

Of course they have the right. It's supposedly a European competition involving teams from 6 different European nations, and each are there on the merits of representing the best of their respective nations. Are you going to try and argue that some of these lower ranked teams haven't really tested, with some beating, the top teams? A team like the Blues beating a top French side is demonstration enough that they have the right to be there.

Just goes to show that with these lower ranked teams you can't drop your guard. They can put you out of the competition....

All added to the excitement, didn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:26 pm

gregortree wrote:How many times have we ploughed this ground ? This is the worst possible way of selecting 20 European club teams ... apart from the alternatives.

What was wrong with the way it was? It was perfectly fair before.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:30 pm

I think it must signed off now. There's smug article from Rees crowing over the wonderous Ian Richie saving the day (on top of Saracens CEO).

If I was signing something on the other side I'd deliberately put it off out of annoyance and stubborness (which is why it's a bloody good job I'm not in charge of anything).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

Munchkin wrote:Of course they have the right. It's supposedly a European competition involving teams from 6 different European nations, and each are there on the merits of representing the best of their respective nations. Are you going to try and argue that some of these lower ranked teams haven't really tested, with some beating, the top teams? A team like the Blues beating a top French side is demonstration enough that they have the right to be there.

Just goes to show that with these lower ranked teams you can't drop your guard. They can put you out of the competition....

It was. It seems it's competition between three leagues now (it seems).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:I think it must signed off now.  There's smug article from Rees crowing over the wonderous Ian Richie saving the day (on top of Saracens CEO).

If I was signing something on the other side I'd deliberately put it off out of annoyance and stubborness (which is why it's a bloody good job I'm not in charge of anything).
Likewise

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:38 pm

The ever increasing Super juggernaut is a giant balls up but at least we can all agree it's a big pile of turd.

I've heard rumours of threads discussing this tournament but every time I've asked someone directly about it, they've mysteriously disappeared. It concerns me that this has spilled onto the international section. A few WUMs might come back from the sin bin to find nobody on the rugby boards. Tumbleweed 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Mainly focused on divvying up the English games? I had read that they were focused on divvying up all games, but then maybe you're right. The Irish are hardly an attraction are they? The real money spinner would be to just show English v English games.

This broadcasting pick deal sounds a nightmare. Would it really mean fans have to subscribe to both Sky and BT to watch all Euro games? If that's true it will already be a lesser tournament.

The Guardian [boo hiss] or Telegraph [boo hiss] said that BT would have the first pick of three games involving English teams. Then Sky would have first pick of three games without English teams.  Then the rest would be divvied up using an algorithm [fancy] based on the English involvement.  Then Sky would have first pick of three English games at the second tier and BT would have first pick of three non-English games, and the rest divvied up.  Clearly this may be anglo-centric as it is the Guardian/Telegraph.

Same articles I have read, Hammer:

"The Telegraph has learnt that the ‘pick deal’ agreed as part of the compromise between the two broadcasters will hand BT Sport first choice on three matches involving clubs in the Aviva Premiership for each of the six rounds of pool matches in the new elite tournament.

Sky Sports, the long-standing broadcaster of the Heineken Cup, will then have first pick for three matches of games not involving English sides, most likely the games involving high-profile games between the French Top 14 and Irish provinces or Welsh regions."

Depends on how you want to read it I guess. Maybe switch it around a bit:

"The Telegraph has learnt that the ‘pick deal’ agreed as part of the compromise between the two broadcasters will hand Sky Sports, the long-standing broadcaster of the Heineken Cup, first pick for three matches of games not involving English sides, most likely the games involving high-profile games between the French Top 14 and Irish provinces or Welsh regions.

BT Sport will then have first choice on three matches involving clubs in the Aviva Premiership for each of the six rounds of pool matches in the new elite tournament"

I know, I know. Just a bit of fun  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

slane wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
rodders wrote:

Ah but the English need 6 to guarantee any sort of success  censored 

I'd say they'd need 20 for that....

Anyways enough on the format, what about the broadcaster - feic sake was looking forward to cancelling either Sky or BT ...what the flip does this mean I'm stuck with both now??
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:42 pm

One thing that's unclear to me, is now the Euro Cup is a club competition, it occurs that it woul be reasonable* that nothing should prevent the pool games from being contests between teams in their own league.

If the Uefa model is to be used, only infra-national games are scheduled apart.

Everyone should have a chance to be pitched against Treviso/Zebre.

* I baulked at saying 'fair'.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:42 pm

That's true of nearly all medjia comments on this nonsense that I've read, Munchkin, can just as easily be reversed (see Edward Griffiths above) OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:One thing that's unclear to me, is now the Euro Cup is a club competition, it occurs that it woul be reasonable* that nothing should prevent the pool games from being contests between teams in their own league.

If the Uefa model is to be used, only infra-national games are scheduled apart.

Everyone should have a chance to be pitched against Treviso/Zebre.

* I baulked at saying 'fair'.

Am sure I read somewhere some medjia correspondent bluffing about a max of 3 English or French team in any one pool - can't remember where tho

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:44 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
gregortree wrote:How many times have we ploughed this ground ? This is the worst possible way of selecting 20 European club teams ... apart from the alternatives.

No it wasnt Guns.

But this new way isnt either in my opinion.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:44 pm

slane wrote:Thats true but what gets me about this is that England and France feel the need to have more teams in the competition because they don't win enough!

There are some doozies on here (I know, I've done a lot of them) but this is a cracker. Was this the reason back in 1999? They had won 50% of the competitons they were in and represented in 100% of the finals (only two years). And how exactly is getting rid of an Italian team and a Scottish team going to help the English win?

Thats what it looks like, now this would have been fine if the smaller countries (Scotland, Italy, Wales) were allowed to keep their current contingent but they're not and they are losing out to facilitate the 2 countries that already have the largest contingent in the competition.

Actually they're not. 4 teams are being cut from the top tier to strengthen the second tier. As it happens the teams going down are those that tend to finish towards the bottom of their pools but get in each year.

So heres a question if Wales (who currently have a superb international team) only have one team in this new competition, where are they going to find their future internationals? the Rabo? It's a joke!

So you find the idea the Rabo will ever get to a reasonable level a joke? I expect it to strength year on year, which will also strengthen the 2nd tier. Joe Launchbury has never played a HEC game I don't think but he seems highly rated even outside of England. If you're relying on 6 games a season (those that miss out are unlikely to make the QF) to find your internationals you system is seriously flawed. The Welsh will still have the LV Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:47 pm

Now BOD is retiring he don't need his family in the Erc to protect and fawn over him,
Personally I think the new concept is miles better and is completely fair,
If you don't qualify you only have yourselves to blame now, no hiding place for inept coaches.
This will only improve the rabo.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

Munchkin wrote:Same articles I have read, Hammer:

"The Telegraph has learnt that the ‘pick deal’ agreed as part of the compromise between the two broadcasters will hand BT Sport first choice on three matches involving clubs in the Aviva Premiership for each of the six rounds of pool matches in the new elite tournament.

Sky Sports, the long-standing broadcaster of the Heineken Cup, will then have first pick for three matches of games not involving English sides, most likely the games involving high-profile games between the French Top 14 and Irish provinces or Welsh regions."

"The Telegraph has learnt that the ‘pick deal’ agreed as part of the compromise between the two broadcasters will hand Sky Sports, the long-standing broadcaster of the Heineken Cup, first pick for three matches of games not involving English sides, most likely the games involving high-profile games between the French Top 14 and Irish provinces or Welsh regions.

BT Sport will then have first choice on three matches involving clubs in the Aviva Premiership for each of the six rounds of pool matches in the new elite tournament"

That would be a very strange way of stipulating things. Why would Sky want to demand they can pick any game other than the English? Just do first pick. I mean they could miss out on Ulster just because they're playing an English side.

Let the dogs fight over the English games. We're used to now. Everyone wants a piece of us. Nothing but a big money cow with all these smaller unions suckling at our teets (Wray and Craig)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:54 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Of course they have the right. It's supposedly a European competition involving teams from 6 different European nations, and each are there on the merits of representing the best of their respective nations. Are you going to try and argue that some of these lower ranked teams haven't really tested, with some beating, the top teams? A team like the Blues beating a top French side is demonstration enough that they have the right to be there.

It was. It seems it's competition between three leagues now (it seems).

But then that is what PRL were claiming about this present competition anyway, isn't it? Not sure the argument will change from either side with regards to the new competition. The point being that the Rabo is a very different type of league to the AP, and T14.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

At the end of the day there will always be opposition to change, its just Human nature.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Now BOD is retiring he don't need his family in the Erc to protect and fawn over him,
If you don't qualify you only have yourselves to blame now, no hiding place for inept coaches.

I think its clearly the AP that needs to improve. This result doesnt help the Rabo in any way.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:01 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:

That would be a very strange way of stipulating things. Why would Sky want to demand they can pick any game other than the English? Just do first pick. I mean they could miss out on Ulster just because they're playing an English side.

Let the dogs fight over the English games. We're used to now. Everyone wants a piece of us. Nothing but a big money cow with all these smaller unions suckling at our teets (Wray and Craig)

I agree. Wray and Craig are teets.... or something like that  Very Happy 

Why would it be a strange way to stipulate things? My switching it around a little hasn't altered the facts of the article. Just how you read it. Perception.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Now BOD is retiring he don't need his family in the Erc to protect and fawn over him,

I think its clearly the AP that needs to improve. This result doesnt help the Rabo in any way.

Why?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Why are people worried about the ring fenced 6 places for English and French clubs, when compared to the Rabo where by pretty much the whole league qualifed automatically year after year just for turning up.

Double standards!

There are 6 top flight European Nations - 2 are guaranteed 6 places, the other 4 are guaranteed 1 - thats double standards !!

There are 6 top flight European nations - 1 is denied 5 places, 1 is denied 7 places, the other 4 are denied none. Double standards?

Not true. Only one of each of those four nations are quaranteed a place. AP is quaranteed 6 places. None of the 12 AP teams are denied a place.

It is true, but the "denied places" argument is as much meaningless nonsense as the "guaranteed places" argument.

In any event, there are no guaranteed or denied places - all the top teams have places, it's just that they are filtered into competitions appropriate to their most recent proven ability.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:07 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Unfortunately a majority of European clubs / owners did not agree that it was.
True, the French clubs vacillated both ways (would they 'turn up?' or not, in the cliche) but something was bound to change.
Not saying the clubs were right mind, but they refused to continue as before. Never going to be a perfect answer to the qualification issue.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:07 pm

Munchkin wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:Why are people worried about the ring fenced 6 places for English and French clubs, when compared to the Rabo where by pretty much the whole league qualifed automatically year after year just for turning up.

Double standards!

There are 6 top flight European Nations - 2 are guaranteed 6 places, the other 4 are guaranteed 1 - thats double standards !!

There are 6 top flight European nations - 1 is denied 5 places, 1 is denied 7 places, the other 4 are denied none. Double standards?

Not true. Only one of each of those four nations are quaranteed a place. AP is quaranteed 6 places. None of the 12 AP teams are denied a place.

It is true, but the "denied places" argument is as much meaningless nonsense as the "guaranteed places" argument.

In any event, there are no guaranteed or denied places - all the top teams have places, it's just that they are filtered into competitions appropriate to their most recent proven ability.
... in 3 separate leagues, the comparable merits of which are anyone's guess

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:08 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
slane wrote:Thats true but what gets me about this is that England and France feel the need to have more teams in the competition because they don't win enough!

There are some doozies on here (I know, I've done a lot of them) but this is a cracker.  Was this the reason back in 1999? They had won 50% of the competitons they were in and represented in 100% of the finals (only two years).

1999  Shocked  5 years after rugby went professional! Then of course all the other team caught up. Do you think it would have been harder for English teams then or now? I'm sure you get the point.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:

Switch it around to this then:

"The Telegraph has learnt that the ‘pick deal’ agreed as part of the compromise between the two broadcasters will hand Sky Sports, the long-standing broadcaster of the Heineken Cup, first pick for three matches of games involving French or Irish sides, most likely the games involving high-profile games between the French Top 14 and Irish provinces or Welsh regions.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

Munchkin wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:

Double standards!

Not at all. Each union is quaranteed a number of teams to be entered in the European competition. 6 from AP, and 1 from each of the four Rabo unions.

None of the teams in any of the three leagues are denied places, although it can be argued that not all have equal opportunity.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:15 pm

Doesn't really matter how many teams are there as the same 5 or 6 teams will be in the mix anyways - Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Clermont, Sarries, Toulon ...maybe the tigers if they aren't too tired.

Everyone else is wasting my Saturday afternoon by turning up.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

rodders wrote:Doesn't really matter how many teams are there as the same 5 or 6 teams will be in the mix anyways - Leinster, Munster, Ulster, Clermont, Sarries, Toulon ...maybe the tigers if they aren't too tired.Everyone else is wasting my Saturday afternoon by turning up.

Laugh made I larrff !

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:

Double standards!

... in 3 separate leagues, the comparable merits of which are anyone's guess

Indeed, although currently I think we have a fair idea that there are no glaring discrepancies in ability between the leagues overall (overall being quite important). The playoffs should address that to a degree, but there's no guarantee that future glaring discrepancies will appear.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm

gregortree wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Unfortunately a majority of European clubs / owners did not agree that it was.
True, the French clubs vacillated both ways (would they 'turn up?' or not, in the cliche) but something was bound to change.
Not saying the clubs were right mind, but they refused to continue as before. Never going to be a perfect answer to the qualification issue.

Thank god, a sensible post.

I agree something had to change but it's the long term effects of this chance that worry me, as we all see in the 6 Nations Scotland and Italy are a long way behind the other nations, this IMO is nothing short of marginalising them completely. The Rabo's all well and good but it's H-Cup games that give players the experience they need to make the step up to international level, having 1 team each at this level is not good enough when England and France have 6-7 each, it's basically greed over development.

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:

Double standards!

I think we have a winner for the weirdest use of logic for 2014 and we are only in March  Shocked 

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 27 Mar 2014, 4:26 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Why?

To be fair only 1 winner in 8 years.

Also if you look at the last 5 years or so you will see 7 teams have dominated and only 1 - Leicester - are English.
The English record for a number of years now has been pretty poor

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next