The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

+40
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
justified sinner
GLove39
21st Century Schizoid Man
EST
VinceWLB
EWT Spoons
Geordie
TJ
Pal Joey
Welly
Poorfour
des
St John The Enforcer
lostinwales
Imperialbigdave
tigertattie
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Dorothy_Mantooth
R!skysports
highland_scot
SecretFly
RuggerRadge2611
madmaccas
the_oncoming_storm
reallybored
alive555
Biltong
demosthenes
MacKnocked-on
Weegie Wizard
BigGee
nickj
Nematode
Majestic83
44 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 6 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by George Carlin Fri 27 Jun 2014, 6:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Historical Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 6 Blacka10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii

A new thread for the 2014/5 season.

A. Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 6 Edinbu10

1. Coaching Team

Alan Solomons - head coach
Stevie Scott -  assistant coach
Omar Mouneimne - assistant coach

2. Players In

Neil Cochrane from London Wasps
John Andress from Worcester Warriors
Rory Sutherland from Gala RFC
Tom Heathcote from Bath Rugby
Michael Tait from Newcastle Falcons
Fraser McKenzie from Newcastle Falcons
Phil Burleigh from the Highlanders
Anton Bresler from the Sharks
Brett Thompson from USA 7s

3. Players Out

Steven Lawrie retired
Alun Walker released
Alex Allan to Glasgow Warriors
Geoff Cross to London Irish
Lewis Niven released
Sean Cox to London Irish
Robert McAlpine released
Perry Parker to Rotherham Titans
Izak van der Westhuizen released
Ross Rennie to Bristol Rugby
Dimitri Basilaia released
Alex Black released
Greig Laidlaw to Gloucester Rugby
Chris Leck released
Piers Francis released
Gregor Hunter released
Harry Leonard to Leeds Carnegie
Ben Atiga retired
Ben Cairns retired
Nick De Luca to Biarritz Olympique
Lee Jones released
Aleki Lutui to Gloucester Rugby

4. Pre-season Fixtures

Leicester Tigers v Edinburgh
Saturday 23 August, 14:00
Welford Road

Edinburgh v Newcastle Falcons
Friday 29 August, 19:45
Mansfield Park, Hawick

B. Glasgow Warriors
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 6 Glasgo10

1. Coaching Team

Gregor Townsend – Head Coach
Shade Munro – Forwards Coach
Matt Taylor – Defence Coach

2. Players In

Alex Allan from Edinburgh
Murray McConnell from Ayr RFC
Euan Murray from Worcester Warriors
James Downey from Munster
Rossouw de Klerk from the Cheetahs

3. Players Out

Moray Low to Exeter Chiefs
Chris Cusiter to Sale Sharks
Ruaridh Jackson to London Wasps
Ed Kalman retired
Byron McGuigan released
Finlay Gillies released
Scott Wight to Melrose RFC
Gabriel Ascárate released
Folau Niua released
Carlin Isles to USA 7s

4. Pre-season Fixtures

Glasgow Warriors v Harlequins
Saturday 23 August, 14:30
Scotstoun Stadium

London Scottish v Glasgow Warriors
Saturday 30 August, 15:00
Richmond Athletic Ground

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:37 am; edited 8 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by jimbopip Tue 15 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm

Fes, Fes the Annual Slaughter of the Effeminates will follow the same, old same old script. Wink 
I hear there's a fellow from Inverness coming down to do the MFL's pre match team talks. Altogether now, " For Jesus sake!!!" steam 
Imagine being stuck in a lift with him and ASBO.
Pity you're missing the London Scottish game, it means you'll have to wait till the festive malkying before you see a real rugby team in the flesh (and I don't mean Schlong)

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread IV

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 15 Jul 2014, 10:20 pm

So are all the signings over now then, thought Edinburgh were still to sign a couple more EDPs and Glasgow haven't done much transfer business this close season?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:07 am

Glasgow have a pretty expensive squad already and, given that Cusiter and Low are the only ones leaving that are likely to be on significant money, there probably isn't that much budget left, notwithstanding this supposed increase in funds from the BT deal.

Given that Edinburgh let 22 players go and only brought in 9, you've got to wonder what's happened to all the money!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:26 am

RDW, don't forget that Atiga's severance package included emergency food parcels frm Gregg's the bakers. You could have signed a whole new front row for that. Whistle 

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:28 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow have a pretty expensive squad already and, given that Cusiter and Low are the only ones leaving that are likely to be on significant money, there probably isn't that much budget left, notwithstanding this supposed increase in funds from the BT deal.

Given that Edinburgh let 22 players go and only brought in 9, you've got to wonder what's happened to all the money!

Jackson signed a new deal while the starting Scotland 10. Not suggesting he was on mega money, but by our Pro teams level he would have been on significant money.

Glasgow may bring in one more player, possibly on a year long deal. But most of the excess budget saved by those going will have gone on the re-signing of players during last season.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:29 am

Glasgow will have a pricey squad, but I can't see Murray being half as expensive as he was 5 years ago. Downey would have been moderately pricey but not as expensive as if we'd signed Lualala instead, for example. There should still be money there and I would like to see more loose forward cover, in particular.

I hope that the club are alive to the possibility that Sam Warbuton may be ripe for poaching if this omnishambles with the WRU continues. It's in nobody's interests for him to sit on the sidelines all season. I am serious about this - exactly the sort of player we should be aiming for.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:34 am

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Glasgow have a pretty expensive squad already and, given that Cusiter and Low are the only ones leaving that are likely to be on significant money, there probably isn't that much budget left, notwithstanding this supposed increase in funds from the BT deal.

Jackson signed a new deal while the starting Scotland 10.  Not suggesting he was on mega money, but by our Pro teams level he would have been on significant money.

Glasgow may bring in one more player, possibly on a year long deal.  But most of the excess budget saved by those going will have gone on the re-signing of players during last season.

Forgot about him, but the point still stands I suppose. Worth remembering that a lot of player have signed new deals too - no doubt on improved terms.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:28 am

George Carlin wrote:Glasgow will have a pricey squad, but I can't see Murray being half as expensive as he was 5 years ago. Downey would have been moderately pricey but not as expensive as if we'd signed Lualala instead, for example. There should still be money there and I would like to see more loose forward cover, in particular.

I hope that the club are alive to the possibility that Sam Warbuton may be ripe for poaching if this omnishambles with the WRU continues. It's in nobody's interests for him to sit on the sidelines all season. I am serious about this - exactly the sort of player we should be aiming for.

That exact same thought crossed my mind this morning. The Lions captain would "probably" squeeze in ahead of Fusaro, Holmes, Grant and even Hamish Watson, so would be a cracking acquisition for a season for either side.

His attitude off the field is also something worth having around. His stance on diet, booze and clean living would be a welcome asset to Scottish rugby, particularly in the land of the soap dodger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:34 am

Bit injury prone though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:40 am

True, but we'd be talking about a one year loan. A back row of Harley, Warburton and Strauss, or Du Preez, Warburton and Denton, would in each case be formidable and take both sides to a new level.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:48 am

Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
highland_scot wrote:
nickj wrote:Raigmore? I was born there too.

Me three!
This explains a lot.

Unlike the residents of Ayr, born in a stable in the presence of three kings courtesy of immaculate conception, us Highlanders had to rely on the NHS......

Would it be come the SNRoSHS

(Scottish Nationalist Republic of Separatism Health Service)
Doh It already is separate, which is why it is in considerably better shape than its equivalent south of the border!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:48 am

If he is needing to get out of Wales I can see bigger clubs that Edinburgh or Glasgow chasing him.

Maybe not in England with their salary caps, but certainly in France.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Glasgow will have a pricey squad, but I can't see Murray being half as expensive as he was 5 years ago. Downey would have been moderately pricey but not as expensive as if we'd signed Lualala instead, for example. There should still be money there and I would like to see more loose forward cover, in particular.

That exact same thought crossed my mind this morning. The Lions captain would "probably" squeeze in ahead of Fusaro, Holmes, Grant and even Hamish Watson, so would be a cracking acquisition for a season for either side.

His attitude off the field is also something worth having around. His stance on diet, booze and clean living would be a welcome asset to Scottish rugby, particularly in the land of the soap dodger.
Are you honestly suggesting that Sam wouldn't participate in the traditional Glaswegian square slice/Irn-Bru combo Saturday breakfast?
If you're from the west coast, that's all the food groups covered.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 16 Jul 2014, 11:04 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:If he is needing to get out of Wales I can see bigger clubs that Edinburgh or Glasgow chasing him.

I think the advantage over other clubs is the SRU/WRU are pretty happy to release each others players outside the international windows.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 11:13 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Me three!
This explains a lot.

Unlike the residents of Ayr, born in a stable in the presence of three kings courtesy of immaculate conception, us Highlanders had to rely on the NHS......

Doh  It already is separate, which is why it is in considerably better shape than its equivalent south of the border!

You're not supposed to bring politics on here. I never do. But as you did:

Scots get £1300 EXTRA per person on public services (including the NHS) than the average UK citizen. That's why the NHS is comparatively better. That's under the current system. An excellent case you make for voting "No Thanks", and why the majority of the people of Scotland who currently obtain those benefits are planning to vote the same way according to every poll published so far.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Jul 2014, 12:13 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Me three!
This explains a lot.

Doh  It already is separate, which is why it is in considerably better shape than its equivalent south of the border!

Scots get £1300 EXTRA per person on public services (including the NHS) than the average UK citizen. That's why the NHS is comparatively better. That's under the current system. An excellent case you make for voting "No Thanks", and why the majority of the people of Scotland who currently obtain those benefits are planning to vote the same way according to every poll published so far.
That explains why we're so good at sport.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 12:36 pm

Is our sporting underachievement another thing that will be fixed once we're independent??

Gosh, I'll have to reconsider my position now.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 16 Jul 2014, 12:57 pm

cakeordeath wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:If he is needing to get out of Wales I can see bigger clubs that Edinburgh or Glasgow chasing him.

I think the advantage over other clubs is the SRU/WRU are pretty happy to release each others players outside the international windows.

Are they?

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 1:24 pm

Not so sure about that. Doubt the Scarlets would release John Barclay to Scotland unless they had to.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:12 pm

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

Are they?

Pretty sure Schlong was released outside the international window.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Is our sporting underachievement another thing that will be fixed once we're independent??

Gosh, I'll have to reconsider my position now.
You're right. Not political in the slightest.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

Away from topic slightly, is anyone going to the 7s at the commonwealth games?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:32 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Away from topic slightly, is anyone going to the 7s at the commonwealth games?

Got tickets for the finals on the Sunday evening.

Might see about going for some of Scotland's group games, but it is pretty scandalous that they have split each day into two sessions so have you to get two sets of tickets!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:39 pm

Yeah I have got tickets for the Sunday AM session and then the evening one. Didn't realise there was as long a gap between the 2 sessions. Never been to Ibrox but guessing there isn't much to do around that area.
Going to be using the park and ride and since it is over 2 sessions you have to pay double for that as well!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:45 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Yeah I have got tickets for the Sunday AM session and then the evening one. Didn't realise there was as long a gap between the 2 sessions. Never been to Ibrox but guessing there isn't much to do around that area.
Going to be using the park and ride and since it is over 2 sessions you have to pay double for that as well!

Not anything that you'd want to have to hang around for 3 hours for! I'm pretty sure the gates open 2 hours before so you'll only have an hour to kill if you want to head back inside the stadium and spend lots of money on warm beer and expensive food...

In the first Saturday morning session Scotland are playing New Zealand, then in the evening they are playing Barbados and Canada.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:54 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:Yeah I have got tickets for the Sunday AM session and then the evening one. Didn't realise there was as long a gap between the 2 sessions. Never been to Ibrox but guessing there isn't much to do around that area.

Not anything that you'd want to have to hang around for 3 hours for! I'm pretty sure the gates open 2 hours before so you'll only have an hour to kill if you want to head back inside the stadium and spend lots of money on warm beer and expensive food...

In the first Saturday morning session Scotland are playing New Zealand, then in the evening they are playing Barbados and Canada.

Think I might make use of the free public transport and head back into the city centre for a few hours before the finals session starts.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:57 pm

What's the best way to get to/from Ibrox from City Centre?

I'm especially thinking at night when it finishes at 10:30 or so...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 2:59 pm

There is a subway station right next to Ibrox that goes back into the city centre so that will be running till late at night during the games.
Are you getting the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:02 pm

Most likely - the girlfriend doesn't do bus travel! She says it makes her travel sick but I think she just doesn't like the typical clientèle that the bus attracts!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Most likely - the girlfriend doesn't do bus travel! She says it makes her travel sick but I think she just doesn't like the typical clientèle that the bus attracts!

It's a fairly easy journey to Ibrox, off at Queen St. 50 yard walk to Buchanan St underground ~10minute journey to Ibrox

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:09 pm

Can't blame her, got the megabus for the first time ever on Sunday from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.....never again!

Think I am going to drive and use the park and ride from the euro central next to the Dakota hotel. £5 per session for the park and ride. Had looked at the train but no trains back out to North Berwick after 8pm I think so we'd be stuck!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:12 pm

I am going to the Saturday morning session, I think we are playing the All Blacks in our first game so should see that one and maybe one of the others. Well if you are going to have to play NZ then I guess best to get them when they may be a little cold!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:19 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Can't blame her, got the megabus for the first time ever on Sunday from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.....never again!

Think I am going to drive and use the park and ride from the euro central next to the Dakota hotel. £5 per session for the park and ride. Had looked at the train but no trains back out to North Berwick after 8pm I think so we'd be stuck!

I used the Megabus regularly from Dundee to Edinburgh when I was a student and it was soul destroying.

Only thing worth saying about the bus option is allow enough time for the M8 factor - when the roads are busy you'll be crawling along!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:45 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Me three!
This explains a lot.

... says he, blithely ignoring the FACT (End of TM) that they contribute roughly £1,800 more per head of tax revenues, or have done on average over the last umpty-tumpty years, thus making them net contributors. Must try harder, dear boy

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 16 Jul 2014, 3:46 pm

I am going on the Sunday for both sessions. Can't understand why there is not some kind of fans zone open for the hours between the sessions. There is plenty of space around the ground.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jul 2014, 4:27 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Me three!
This explains a lot.

... says he, blithely ignoring the FACT (End of TM) that they contribute roughly £1,800 more per head of tax revenues, or have done on average over the last umpty-tumpty years, thus making them net contributors.  Must try harder, dear boy
Only if you factor in oil revenues. If you take them out, we have a worse deficit as % of GDP than Greece, Spain, Ireland, Iceland... the list goes on and on.

Oil is a notoriously volatile resource (even ignoring the fact that it will run out eventually, possibly as soon as 2030) and shouldn't be the basis for planning an economy - in fact, the difference between the Scottish Government's estimates of oil tax revenue for 2013 and the actual revenue was the equivalent of the entire Scottish education budget. So, in a bad year we just don't educate people? We raise taxes?

Independence? Meh.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 16 Jul 2014, 4:37 pm

IanBru wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
highland_scot wrote:

Me three!
This explains a lot.

... says he, blithely ignoring the FACT (End of TM) that they contribute roughly £1,800 more per head of tax revenues, or have done on average over the last umpty-tumpty years, thus making them net contributors.  Must try harder, dear boy
Only if you factor in oil revenues.  If you take them out, we have a worse deficit as % of GDP than Greece, Spain, Ireland, Iceland... the list goes on and on.

Oil is a notoriously volatile resource (even ignoring the fact that it will run out eventually, possibly as soon as 2030) and shouldn't be the basis for planning an economy - in fact, the difference between the Scottish Government's estimates of oil tax revenue for 2013 and the actual revenue was the equivalent of the entire Scottish education budget. So, in a bad year we just don't educate people? We raise taxes?

Independence? Meh.

And guess what, if you tax the feic out of it as a resource, it becomes even more volatile! Strewth ... Also, must tell the good folks of Norway to exclude all oil revenue from their financial planning - tis obvs only sensible

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm

It always comes down to "tax less, spend more" with separatists.

Great idea.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 9:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:Away from topic slightly, is anyone going to the 7s at the commonwealth games?

Might see about going for some of Scotland's group games, but it is pretty scandalous that they have split each day into two sessions so have you to get two sets of tickets!

That is a complete scam. Pity too, because the whole 7s carnival depends on it being a day event.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:15 pm

I've tickets to both sessions of the group games - it's not the split that really bothers me (although it is a right pain in the cornhole), but the fact that it wasn't possible to buy the same seats.

My folks are coming up for this, and we'll have to shift ourselves (that's 'shift', with an 'f') to new seats.

Small things, and we're not exactly in Gaza, but I'm still not happy.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jul 2014, 10:37 pm

It's worse than that - you have to leave the stadium between sessions!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 16 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm

IanBru wrote:I've tickets to both sessions of the group games - it's not the split that really bothers me (although it is a right pain in the cornhole), but the fact that it wasn't possible to buy the same seats.

My folks are coming up for this, and we'll have to shift ourselves (that's 'shift', with an 'f') to new seats.

Gaza left Ibrox some time ago.....

Damn that was bad!

I can't believe they make you leave the ground and change seats. Completely ridiculous. That cannot be a decision made by anyone involved in rugby. Not even Scott Johnson is that daft.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 Jul 2014, 1:20 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
IanBru wrote:I've tickets to both sessions of the group games - it's not the split that really bothers me (although it is a right pain in the cornhole), but the fact that it wasn't possible to buy the same seats.

Gaza left Ibrox some time ago.....

Damn that was bad!

I can't believe they make you leave the ground and change seats. Completely ridiculous. That cannot be a decision made by anyone involved in rugby. Not even Scott Johnson is that daft.

Why sell a seat once when you can sell the same one twice. They have opted to go for the same model as the London Olympics and I guess have been vindicated in that it has sold out, as London did. Apart from the fact that they are making a few quid, running Commonwealth Games is not cheap at the end of the day, I suppose it can be seen as a good thing that lots of people are able to get tickets and see events. Living in London, I was dissapointed to only get tickets for one event at the OG and I know of plenty other people who got none. Its not a typical rugby event at the end of the day, but maybe one that will be more memorable, especially if Scotland beat the All Blacks while i am there watchng!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu 17 Jul 2014, 8:43 am

Some news on the Glasgow crime dept. DTH has had his conviction for assault overturned on appeal and has been given an absolute discharge.

Appeal judge showed common sense (in my opinion) in deciding that someone spitting in your face constitutes serious provocation and the subsequent punch thrown by DTH was retaliatory.

So that's one case done and dusted, only what is it....four to go?

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jul 2014, 8:59 am

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Some news on the Glasgow crime dept.  DTH has had his conviction for assault overturned on appeal and has been given an absolute discharge.

Appeal judge showed common sense (in my opinion) in deciding that someone spitting in your face constitutes serious provocation and the subsequent punch thrown by DTH was retaliatory.

When did this happen?? Never heard of it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 17 Jul 2014, 10:05 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

That is a complete scam. Pity too, because the whole 7s carnival depends on it being a day event.

I was at the commonwealth games when it was in Melbourne in 06 and went to all the rugby 7s, not only was it a lot cheaper, $10 for the first day and $20 for the finals day it didn't have the split sessions and ran really smoothly. Great atmosphere in the stadium which was packed with 55000 the whole weekend. The best atmosphere I have ever experienced was during the Australia v England group game, the noise was deafening in the stadium. Going to be interesting to see if the 7s at Ibrox come even close!
Booked my car in for park and ride, turns out you have to book a slot for when you arrive and if you are late they can't guarantee that they will be able to accomodate you!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Thu 17 Jul 2014, 10:24 am

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Some news on the Glasgow crime dept.  DTH has had his conviction for assault overturned on appeal and has been given an absolute discharge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28329045

Quite right from the sounds of things. If someone gobbed in my face they'd a slap back.

Interesting that he was planning to go to Canada to do a firefighting course. Do you think he's planning to retire soon? He's only 28 so that would be a real shame.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 17 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

Madmaccas, I think DTH has already been doing his firefighting course - he's been tweeting about it quite a lot, especially last summer. I think it's more of a thing for during holidays, particularly as wildfires can be quite common around Vancouver in the summer.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jul 2014, 10:35 am

Glad to see sense prevailed and it was overturned - especially given that it would have ruined his future career as a fire fighter.

Some people really are neanderthals - I've never understood why some blokes start a fight because someone spilt their drink / looked at their missus (who is usually a munter) / bumped into them by mistake.

There's a well known case of a guy in Newcastle who bumped into someone in the street by mistake and the guy punched him - he fell and cracked his head on the ground and died. Absolutely senseless.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Thu 17 Jul 2014, 10:54 am

IanBru wrote:Madmaccas, I think DTH has already been doing his firefighting course - he's been tweeting about it quite a lot, especially last summer. I think it's more of a thing for during holidays, particularly as wildfires can be quite common around Vancouver in the summer.

Ah that's a relief, he's a great player and a lovely bloke from all reports. Quite sensible planning for his future now - I've met so players who had no plan B when it came to life after rugby.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next