The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

+47
ScarletSpiderman
EST
Captain_Sensible
Anglobraveheart
SirBurger
Manky-Flanker
WhiskyBluff
highland_scot
Heuer27
cp10
Totalflanker
Majestic83
R!skysports
teh_Dingmeister
whocares
cakeordeath
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
JonnyEdinburgh
RuggerRadge2611
MacKnocked-on
Prothero
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mckay1402
Weegie Wizard
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Argybargy
justified sinner
Imperialbigdave
TJ
alive555
GLove39
VinceWLB
madmaccas
tigertattie
demosthenes
BigGee
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Nematode
EWT Spoons
RDW
George Carlin
51 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 4 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Dec - 18:24

First topic message reminder :

Prehistorical Patter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 4 Fawlty11
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 4 Elves10

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 4 Orc10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 31 Jan - 23:44; edited 6 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 7 Jan - 0:37

tigertattie wrote:What do the weegie fans think about Pygos?

As a scotland fan I really don't rate him that highly and would have laidlaw and Cusiter easliy above him! Each time he has played for Scotland I've been underwhelmed by his over-all performance! His training move try aside, he's never really made me sit up and watch!

I'm trying not to look at things through rose tinted glasses, but I think Sam H-C has better international prospects that Pygros

I agree that SH-C has better prospects, but right now Pyrgos is ahead. Pyrgos has improved greatly in the last couple of years and has shown already a real aptitude for international rugby. He's quite a cool customer and controls the game well. His weakness has often been his distribution, which can be haphazard. But as a 3rd choice of Scotland he's pretty decent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 4 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by RDW Wed 7 Jan - 3:22

Will be interesting to see what happens with Kennedy now S-H-C has established himself as 1st choice. We say he's still young, which he is, but he's coming up for 25 now so should be in the 'seasoned pro' bracket. Instead he's been limited to the odd run in the team every so often, and has been passed between two teams.

All could change of course if S-H-C gets injured, but I can't help but think Kennedy is going to become another one of the forgotten generation.

A move to Glasgow has been mentioned, but the only way I think he should go there is if Glasgow don't sign another 9 - there's no point him moving back to Glasgow to be 3rd choice like he is at Edinburgh.

He still needs to improve his game though - his boxing kicking in particular has been pretty poor whenever I've seen him play.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 7 Jan - 3:29

It's a shame because Kennedy has the potential to be a very exciting player. Great acceleration from the base of the scrum/ruck and his passing can be very sharp and accurate when he's on his game. His box kicking isn't great (but SH-C can also fall down on this as well) and like all pacy 9s he can go for things when they aren't on, but I do think a move to Glasgow would be ideal for all concerned. He'd go in ahead of McConnell in my view, and start off next season as second choice, coming off the bench. Far better to give Kennedy a shot for a season than hire a duff NSQ.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 7 Jan - 3:32

I suppose also that Kennedy has been playing in the games earlier in the season when we've been fairly crap all round. S-H-C has been playing the recent Euro games and the big win over Treviso.

It is also pleasing to see our 9s given a bit more free reign in attack - I even saw S-H-C make a few sniping breaks from the back of the ruck against Glasgow instead of box kicking it! I bet he's had to do 100 laps of the pitch for his blatant disregard of team tactics....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 7 Jan - 4:27

Yeh, Sam H-C busted the system a couple of times in the 1872 Cup, and will no doubt face the wrath of Solomons. Hart is probably also in the dog house for scoring that try against London Welsh (or was it Treviso??) by attacking down the blindside in a superb piece of attacking play with Tim Visser. Not what we are about.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 7 Jan - 19:43

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 8 Jan - 0:39

Lot's of big name transfers going on around Europe just now - should we be concerned that the only news from Edinburgh or Glasgow is Niko going to Bath??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 8 Jan - 1:23

RDW_Scotland wrote:Lot's of big name transfers going on around Europe just now - should we be concerned that the only news from Edinburgh or Glasgow is Niko going to Bath??

I'm not too concerned. What Edinburgh needs to do most is sort out the squad it currently has, and that means working out the pecking order in each position. We are some way from figuring that out, and there are players like Ritchie, Bradbury, Dean, Farndale and Hoyland who now need to be getting pro rugby. We've had quite a few seasons of flux, and I think there's quite a bit more value to be extracted from the squad we currently have. I would rather we focus on 1 or 2 high quality signings, another Du Preez or Burleigh, than another 5-6 of "mixed" ability.

I think Glasgow are in a different position, and have some obvious areas of weakness in the squad that they need to patch if they seriously believe they will compete with Leinster, Munster, Spreys etc. They need strengthening at lock (possibly two), openside, scrum half (possibly two) and fly half.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 8 Jan - 2:09

All Edinburgh really need to do it get Du Preez fit and play him at 6 and get rid of Struass, play Matt Soctt (12) at inside centre and have Burleigh or a.n. other to play at 13.

Some say Fife should move to 13 which I'd not be against. It could mean we put farndale or Hoyland onto the wing spot.

Just think!

Edinburgh could potentially put out a backline of

S-H-C
Visser
Heathcote (or tonks)
Scott (12)
Fife
Farndale/Hoyland
Tonks (or cuthbert)

What strikes me most about this backline is that they are all young Scottish qualified players!!!!!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 8 Jan - 3:05

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Lot's of big name transfers going on around Europe just now - should we be concerned that the only news from Edinburgh or Glasgow is Niko going to Bath??

I'm not too concerned. What Edinburgh needs to do most is sort out the squad it currently has, and that means working out the pecking order in each position. We are some way from figuring that out, and there are players like Ritchie, Bradbury, Dean, Farndale and Hoyland who now need to be getting pro rugby. We've had quite a few seasons of flux, and I think there's quite a bit more value to be extracted from the squad we currently have. I would rather we focus on 1 or 2 high quality signings, another Du Preez or Burleigh, than another 5-6 of "mixed" ability.

I think Glasgow are in a different position, and have some obvious areas of weakness in the squad that they need to patch if they seriously believe they will compete with Leinster, Munster, Spreys etc. They need strengthening at lock (possibly two), openside, scrum half (possibly two) and fly half.

I agree that Edinburgh aren't in desperate need anywhere, but I wouldn't say no to a top class 13.  Casey Laulala would be my kind of ideal player, but he's obviously not coming to Edinburgh any time soon. Injuries have left us very short in the back row this season, so a 6/8 wouldn't go amiss - unless Ritchie or Bradbury break through this year.

Other than that, there aren't really any good Scottish players available to replace one of our NSQs, and I don't want an average ITM cup player taking the place of an exciting young SQ player!

I agree that we have enough in the squad to work work, but there is still a lot of dead wood in there. Behind Ross Ford our reserve hookers are all a bit 'meh' just now, and I'm still be to be convinced that Andress is any good at tighthead.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 8 Jan - 3:33

Well on the hooker front much rests on McInally I think. If he's going to step up as a viable option, then we probably don't need to add to Ford, Cochrane and Hilterbrand. If he doesn't and reverts back to 6/8, then that probably solves the depth in that position.

There's also George Turner to factor into the equation. Promising player. Short of Bismaark Du Plessis or Stephen Moore begging to join us, I'd personally leave our hooking options as they are.

If we were to sign two players, I'd want a tighthead and an outside centre. I'd suggest Ramiro Herrera and Tevita Kuridrani....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 8 Jan - 16:12

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I agree that Edinburgh aren't in desperate need anywhere, but I wouldn't say no to a top class 13.  Casey Laulala would be my kind of ideal player, but he's obviously not coming to Edinburgh any time soon. Injuries have left us very short in the back row this season, so a 6/8 wouldn't go amiss - unless Ritchie or Bradbury break through this year.

Other than that, there aren't really any good Scottish players available to replace one of our NSQs, and I don't want an average ITM cup player taking the place of an exciting young SQ player!

I agree that we have enough in the squad to work work, but there is still a lot of dead wood in there. Behind Ross Ford our reserve hookers are all a bit 'meh' just now, and I'm still be to be convinced that Andress is any good at tighthead.
I agree that there are a lot of young Scots players not getting gametime who should be. Going on loan to another club (like Zander did with Treviso) is an option, although not preferable.

I would be loathe to buy in NSQ players when guys like Ashe, Tommy Spinks (an age grade captain), Will Bordill (good enough to play in Sale's first team, so good enough for a Pro 12 game), Farndale and Hoyland (probably in that order) haven't even be given a chance to show their playing chops.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 8 Jan - 16:55

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I agree that there are a lot of young Scots players not getting gametime who should be. Going on loan to another club (like Zander D'Arcy Rae did with Treviso) is an option, although not preferable.

I would be loathe to buy in NSQ players when guys like Ashe, Tommy Spinks (an age grade captain), Will Bordill (good enough to play in Sale's first team, so good enough for a Pro 12 game), Farndale and Hoyland (probably in that order) haven't even be given a chance to show their playing chops.

Fixed that for you. Fully concur with you too. I want to see the young Pros have a run out.
I noticed Rae was involved with Treviso in both derby wins over Zebre. Came on as a sub for last 35 mins in the first game, and started the second game (sin binned after 54mins and didn't come back on). Either Treviso are out of available props (loan signing would suggest that) or Rae is actually quite good. I'm happy it's a short loan, it's only experience to add to CV. However, let's hope he isn't Italian qualified. I dread another Tommy Allan situation.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 8 Jan - 17:40

Watched a bit of the Treviso games and D'arcy Rae did relatively well but seemed to struggle after 30 min of play. There is a reason why he started the 2nd leg (even though Treviso are desperate at TH). I still don't know why he didn't feature with the Warriors, certainly should have been given a chance before Zander Fagerson?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 8 Jan - 18:00

Sorry, brainfart, it was indeed D'Arcy who went to Treviso.

They're both big lads - Zander potentially the more exciting at 2 years younger. D'Arcy has the disadvantage in having played for Ayr, which as FES will tell you means that he is incontrovertibly rubbish. Or at least, hopeless overrated.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Thu 8 Jan - 18:05

Maybe that's why Ewan Murray was signed on a one year deal, because both Rae and Fagerson weren't quite ready yet?

The end of this season will be interesting to see the transfer ins and outs. On both sides of the M8. Although, I suspect Glasgow will see more activity than Edinburgh.

I cry myself to sleep over lack of a 3rd Pro Team. With the available funds, a decent team of mostly SQ players could be put together quickly, with young prospects stepping up to Glas & Edin and seasoned pros moving to the 3rd team. I'll avoid posting an Aberdeen/Caledonia RFC dream team... for now.

Last edited by A Simply Mesmeric Try on Thu 8 Jan - 18:06; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 8 Jan - 19:40

Hamish Watson has signed a 2 year contract, and Ben Toolis a 1 year.

Would have thought Toolis had earned more than a 1 year, but never mind.  No word on his brother.

They have also confirmed Nikki Walker has left the club - didn't even know he was still there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 8 Jan - 20:26

Toolis should have been given longer - he's been outstanding this season once Solomons decided to pick him. For me it is not a foregone conclusion that Gilchrist/Bresler are our first choice locks.

Watson is excellent news. Proper scavenger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 8 Jan - 21:06

It may be Toolis who went for the 1 year contract as he may have an eye on moving to a Jeff or French team?

Just saying!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 8 Jan - 21:18

Completely fair point. He's been seriously impressive over the last few games. Strong lineout operator and really physical in the loose. He's like a bigger version of Sean Cox, without the penchant for silly yellow cards.

I'd have him well ahead of McKenzie and Atkins, neither of whom are bad players.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 8 Jan - 22:33

funnyExiledScot wrote:Toolis should have been given longer - he's been outstanding this season once Solomons decided to pick him. For me it is not a foregone conclusion that Gilchrist/Bresler are our first choice locks.

Watson is excellent news. Proper scavenger.
Yes, both re-signing is excellent news.
I really want Watson to kick on - the Scotland openside shirt is still completely up for grabs.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Thu 8 Jan - 23:54

Does anyone have any recommendations of decent radio programs that cover rugby in Scotland.
Just won myself a wee digital radio and hope to make good use of it. Most sports stations I find are football, football, football.
Was wondering if there are any decent weekly programs hidden away at a specific time?
Not so much match commentaries, more like sports discussion programs that mabye give us a reasonable chunk of the coverage??

I know it's probably a long shot when there are still a few ex-footballers out there still waiting to air their views on Crystal Palace's new manager though.
Your help is appreciated, cheers!

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 0:24

JonnyEdinburgh wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations of decent radio programs that cover rugby in Scotland.
Just won myself a wee digital radio and hope to make good use of it.  Most sports stations I find are football, football, football.  
Was wondering if there are any decent weekly programs hidden away at a specific time?
Not so much match commentaries, more like sports discussion programs that mabye give us a reasonable chunk of the coverage??

I know it's probably a long shot when there are still a few ex-footballers out there still waiting to air their views on Crystal Palace's new manager though.  
Your help is appreciated, cheers!

BBC Radio 5 live has a good rugby discussion in the evening once a week - not sure which day. Matt Dawson and various other people. Obviously has an AP focus to it, but will no doubt branch out leading up to the 6N.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 9 Jan - 0:30

Brian Moore has a 2hr show on Talksport, Sunday at 8 I think. First hour is mainly the Aviva but there's 10 mins on the pro12. Very much England focused though.

On Radio Scotland 810 MW there's often commentary on Scottish pro12 games with 15 min discussion after.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 0:32

The 810MW coverage is very good - the old commentator is brilliant (can't remember his name) and Tom English, Chris Paterson and Peter Wright are involved too.

Much better than the Beattie / Hastings combo on TV!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 0:43

RDW_Scotland wrote:The 810MW coverage is very good - the old commentator is brilliant (can't remember his name) and Tom English, Chris Paterson and Peter Wright are involved too.

Beattie has lost credibility since his "SNP" style response to Glasgow losing the 1872 Cup was to suggest the rules be changed!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 9 Jan - 1:11

I have a man crush for Peter Wright when he is commentating!

I can remember him doing commentary on one of Edinburgh's games and it went along the lines of:
"aww what man! Thats a shocking decision from the touch judge. Sorry, we're supposed to call them assistant refferees now eh! Well he won't make full referee making stupid decions like that. Absolutely disgraceful. Its a joke! In fact, I'm going to go sort this out"

There is then a period where you don;t hear anything from Wright then you get:
"Right, thats him sorted. He agrees he messed that up and he's assured me he won't do it again"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 9 Jan - 1:53

RDW_Scotland wrote:The 810MW coverage is very good - the old commentator is brilliant (can't remember his name) and Tom English, Chris Paterson and Peter Wright are involved too.

The BBC Scotland team used to do a Scottish rugby podcast, was decent for the bus journey into the office in the morning, but they've since stopped. I realise given it no longer exists this is more of a tease than any help.

Agree though that the commentary is generally very good on 810w. It really annoys me when they are not commentating and you get Bryan Burnet and his shocking collection of tunes. Does anyone actually listen to him!

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by JonnyEdinburgh Fri 9 Jan - 2:28

Much appreciated, thanks. Will have a peak at some of those options. Would love it if Brian Moores show does some kind of phone in. Opportunity would be too good to miss, get him on a rant and it's comedy gold.

JonnyEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 9 Jan - 2:44

I sometimes have the TV volume off and just the 810MW commentary.

If you're interested in Welsh rugby, there's a good BBC podcast (I think Scrum V).

Real pity the Scottish Rugby Podcast is no longer on the go though.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 9 Jan - 2:50

Duncan Weir will miss the 6 Nations after arm surgery

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/latest/duncan-weir-to-miss-six-nations-after-arm-surgery-1-3655423

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 21:46

Magnus Bradbury has signed full professional terms with Edinburgh.

Also, we've signed some random Tongan winger from London Welsh.

What the hell do we need a Tongan winger for??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 9 Jan - 21:51

RDW_Scotland wrote:Magnus Bradbury has signed full professional terms with Edinburgh.

he must have SA roots and thats why solomons has brought him in!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 22:01

Woops - he plays for London Wasps.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 9 Jan - 22:33

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Tackle practice for Tom Brown.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 22:33

RDW_Scotland wrote:Magnus Bradbury has signed full professional terms with Edinburgh.

Bradbury - excellent.

Random Tongan winger - terrible. We already have an NSQ winger in Thompson (yet to play) and have two young bolters in Hoyland and Farndale. That's on top of the first team international wingers we have in Visser and Fife. Ludicrous.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 22:37

He's got 19 caps for Tonga, and played when they beat us, so should be a step or two above Thompson. He's 28 too so should be in his prime.

Does this mean Visser is off?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 22:47

That was my immediate thought as well. Real shame if that's true - Visser's been a real legend for Edinburgh over the years and I do hope we can keep him. Few better finishers around, and SQ as well.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 22:50

Will Helu - he does look pretty decent actually. If Visser is off then this move makes perfect sense and I take it all back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTN1c6vifuA

He's 6ft 3 and 15st 10, and is pretty physical looking at his highlights reel! It is all international or Wasps stuff so a good level too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 9 Jan - 22:54

Yes, I smell Visser leaving. It would be upsetting but I'm not sure that I could blame him. I just hope he isn't off to France, where he's going to see the ball even less than he currently does.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 22:56

He's literally the polar opposite of physicality compared to Visser - players looked scared to tackle him, instead of Visser being scared to tackle anyone!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 9 Jan - 22:56

Yes, I smell Visser leaving. It would be upsetting but I'm not sure that I could blame him. I just hope he isn't off to France, where he's going to see the ball even less than he currently does.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 22:57

My concern is what it means for Farndale. You'd think Visser leaving would be ideal for him, but he could have 2 NSQ wingers ahead of him next season.

Hopefully this Helu bloke will turn out to be another DTH, but it does smell to me like another NSQ signing we could have perhaps avoided, unless it's a player exchange for Strauss!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 22:59

To be fair Farndale has been an injury liability recently (long term injury just now), and hasn't played any top level rugby really. He might just never make it.

At least Hoyland has been scoring tries in the 7s circuit so we know he's got real potential at this level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 23:06

Just seen this from the ER supporters forum - the list of players out of contract.  There's some key names in there (highlighted in bold):

Hookers: McInally, Hilterbrand, Turner
Props: Dickinson, Blaauw, Nel, Berghan, Sutherland
Locks: Atkins A.Toolis
Back Row: Leonardi, Coman, Grant, Du Preez

Scrum Half: Hart
Fly Half: Heathcote, Tonks, Bezuidenhout
Centre: Dominguez
Wings: Visser, Farndale, Thompson

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 23:07

True, but my concern still stands. I wonder how much debate was had around SQ options coming through before looking at NSQ options. My suspicion is very little.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 23:10

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just seen this from the ER supporters forum - the list of players out of contract.  There's some key names in there (highlighted in bold):

Hookers: McInally, Hilterbrand, Turner
Props: Dickinson, Blaauw, Nel, Berghan, Sutherland
Locks: Atkins A.Toolis
Back Row: Leonardi, Coman, Grant, Du Preez

Scrum Half: Hart
Fly Half: Heathcote, Tonks, Bezuidenhout
Centre: Dominguez
Wings: Visser, Farndale, Thompson

We really need to do something about those players in bold, that are all key players. One of Leonardi and Coman should stay, and two from McInally, Hilterbrand and Turner should stay. I'd also hang on to Atkins personally, and similarly Hart (I like our three scrum half options).

Berghan and Blaauw can go, as can Dominguez. There must be better SQ options.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 9 Jan - 23:13

Out of that list I'd re-sign:

McInally - 2 year
Turner - 2 uear
Dickinson - 3 year
Nel - 3 year
Sutherland - 2 year
Atkins - 2 year
Coman - 1 year
Hart - 2 year
Heathcoat - 2 year
Tonks - 2 year
Visser (although accept he might be leaving) - 2 year
Farndale -1 year

Meaning I'd let go:

Hilterbrand
Blaauw
Berghan (leaving us short at tighthead though)
A Toolis (unless he'll turn out like his twin)
Leonardi
Bezzy
Dominguez
Thompson (although we've never actually seen him play!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 9 Jan - 23:16

I'd agree with that list, and also that we'd need to identify a replacement tighthead for Berghan. Andress is no great shakes, so it's one area where we could use a decent signing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 9 Jan - 23:29

I'm sympathetic to Solomons. His job of developing SQ players is completely incidental and ancillary to developing a team that wins. He wants to keep his job and for the club to be successful.

All that we can ask him to do is note carefully any young SQ players where they are given a chance and play better than the NSQ incumbents.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next