The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 11 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 11 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Sep 2018, 11:51 am

Bjorn would have to be out of his mind not to choose Rafa.

Mac,
Surely it was Woods a few weeks ago who said he'd like to partner BDeC? I'd prefer to see Woods & Mickelson together . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 11 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by wiretapper Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:05 pm

Casey pick 1
Sergio pick 2 Shocked
Poulter pick 3

and I'm going to go out on a limb and say Stenson for pick 4 Laugh

Last edited by wiretapper on Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:06 pm

Garcia pick 2

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:08 pm

Poulter Pick 3

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:09 pm

Stenson pick 4

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:19 pm

Well that was underwhelming.

Maybe because the newspapers got it right or maybe because I don't think a couple of picks should have been eh, picked but hopefully they will prove me wrong.

I'll still cheer them on (and boo the baddies)

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:22 pm

I haven't followed the RC selection process at all, who were the other possible picks for Europe?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:25 pm

Very safe picks. No neck on the line moment there. Think Rafa is a miss, but can see why he has picked who he has.
So America have lost Walker, Sneds, Zach, JB, Kuchar, Moore to be replaced with Tiger, BDC, Finau(?) JT, Webb. Arguably a stronger team.
Euros replace Willett, Wood, Sullivan, Fitz, RCB, Pieters, Kaymer, Westwood with Hatton, Olesen, Molinari, Fleetwood, Rahm, Noren, ,Casey, Poulter, 8 changes, its like a complete new team!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:30 pm

McLaren wrote:I haven't followed the RC selection process at all, who were the other possible picks for Europe?

Rafa
Thomas Pieters
Russell Knox
Matt Wallace
Matt Fitzpatrick

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 05 Sep 2018, 3:34 pm

The three USA RC Picks have earned well over 2x as many OWGR points in the last two weeks, as the 4 Euro Picks has earned all summer long. (since Memphis).

OWGR Points earned

Last 3 months

416 USA (includes Finau)
115 EURO

PLayoffs:

152 BAD
64 Finau
13.6 Mickelson
6.4 Woods

6.5 Total (Stenson, Casey, Poulter)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 05 Sep 2018, 5:10 pm

So not a lot to choose from for Tommy, I would probably have found a place for Fitzpatrick by dropping Poulter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Sep 2018, 5:39 pm

Why on earth would you do that Mac?

In what way would Fitz be a better pick than Poulter? I can't think of a single thing which he does better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 05 Sep 2018, 5:48 pm

McLaren wrote:So not a lot to choose from for Tommy, I would probably have found a place for Fitzpatrick by dropping Poulter.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Gone fishing again?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 05 Sep 2018, 7:04 pm

super_realist wrote:Why on earth would you do that Mac?

In what way would Fitz be a better pick than Poulter? I can't think of a single thing which he does better.

Better at wins since 2014.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 05 Sep 2018, 7:33 pm

Well, he’s better at collecting Ryder Cup qualifying points, mind you Ian’s not been good at that for quite a while.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 05 Sep 2018, 7:54 pm

When did poulter last qualify for the ryder cup?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Sep 2018, 8:11 pm

Poults' qualifying record:

2004: Qualified
2006: dnp
2008: Picked
2010: Qualified
2012: Picked
2014: Picked
2016: dnp
2018: Picked

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 05 Sep 2018, 8:27 pm

So he's only made two teams on merit? The most picked ryder cupper ever?

Is that why people love the ryder cup, soneone so phenomenally meh and average like poulter has such a great record while actual superstars of golf like tiger or phil have pretty poor ones.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Sep 2018, 8:37 pm

To be fair, ben, the Europeans have largely built their RC record on journeymen punching above their weight and US superstars playing like paper tigers.
Unfortunately there's no guarantee that either will apply this time - I'd say Europe's best, their Major Champions especially, need to come to play.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 05 Sep 2018, 8:56 pm

Kwini, how very dare you suggest that Sir Ian is a mere journeyman! He’s a a genuine superstar!
To be fair there is much to admire about his career but an awful lot of contradictions as well. Super bottle at the RC yet by and large a wet rag on day 4 if a major. Some good wins but a lot of good shows at the end of year events. I’d love to know how many of his career weeks have been spent as a genuine top 10 or even top 20 player.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed 05 Sep 2018, 9:54 pm

Poults gets a fair bit of grief on these boards and while his behaviour no doubt rubs people the wrong way I find it strange people would question his pick for the ryder cup.

Superstar he isn't but he has had better than decent career and as far as a Ryder cup superstar he definitely is. He has just 4 losses in 18 matches and is unbeaten in sing!es...

Garcias pick is more perplexing given the nature of his form and the fact he has been ok at best in the ryder cup since 2006. Less than .500 win record is hardly inspiring.

Stensons record is even worse and he has had niggling injuries for 2 months...

I disagree with the notion that the major champions of Europe need to show up if we are to have any chance....I'm fact think it's the rookies who we need to show up and perform and in doing so hopefully inspire the rather average play of the experienced players going.

All that being said...I don't think either will happen and I actually think we could be in for a bit of a hammering. I'm Hatton and Rahm we have two pretty combustible players who struggle to temper their emotions in the correct manor. We have players who are out of form and badly so and another two who have have been carrying niggles for last few months of season. Add in the fact that US have kept the spine of their team and have momentum both in the ryder cup and in terms of form players and major champions and it's looking like an extremely difficult task. Let's hope I'm wrong.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 05 Sep 2018, 10:38 pm

owen,
All I'm saying is the top Europeans have to lead from the front. They didn't do that at Valhalla and they didn't do that at Hazeltine. No more, no less.
Now that he's in the Team, I expect non-Major winner Paul Casey to become a vocal leader, in word and deed - hopefully he'll start at Aronimink, which should suit his game.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 05 Sep 2018, 11:22 pm

But who will Paul pair with?? I’m sure TB had someone in mind when picking him. And who will play the two first sessions? Rose? Poulter?
Here’s my guess for day 1, assuming they start out with 4-somes and want to play all on day 1

4-some
Stenson-Rose
Olesen-Molinari
Poulter-Casey
Garcia-Noren

4-balls:
Stenson-Rose
McIlroy-Fleetwood
Rahm-Garcia
Hatton-Poulter

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 05 Sep 2018, 11:36 pm

Poulter is an obvious pick (just funny he keeps needing one). I think Casey has a point to prove and is so consistent these days, I’m sure he’ll do well. Garcia and Stenson bit of a gamble, but so are Tigger and Phil. I think it will be pretty close, US should start favourites but I’d be surprised if they win by more than 2 or 3 points...which means they could easily lose.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 06 Sep 2018, 12:06 am

pedro wrote:But who will Paul pair with?? I’m sure TB had someone in mind when picking him. And who will play the two first sessions? Rose? Poulter?
Here’s my guess for day 1, assuming they start out with 4-somes and want to play all on day 1

4-some
Stenson-Rose
Olesen-Molinari
Poulter-Casey
Garcia-Noren

4-balls:
Stenson-Rose
McIlroy-Fleetwood
Rahm-Garcia
Hatton-Poulter

You really think McIlroy won't play the opening session?  I'd be amazed if he doesn't play all 5 sessions.  I have a feeling Rose might play all 5 too but not all with Stenson.  I'd also be tempted to put Rahm & Hatton together in the 4-balls for a laugh to see if they can "out angry" each other  Very Happy Shocked

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Thu 06 Sep 2018, 2:47 am

I wonder how much influence the vice captains have over Bjorns selections?
I would like to hear their opinions and observations of the four picks. Whilst I appreciate they wont break rank and say anything controversial I don't believe everyone in Team Bjorn will have the same opinion.
Just hearing from the captain leaves himself open to accusations of nepotism.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Sep 2018, 8:07 am

Diggers wrote:Poulter is an obvious pick (just funny he keeps needing one). I think Casey has a point to prove and is so consistent these days, I’m sure he’ll do well. Garcia and Stenson bit of a gamble, but so are Tigger and Phil. I think it will be pretty close, US should start favourites but I’d be surprised if they win by more than 2 or 3 points...which means they could easily lose.

Not so sure about Americans starting favourite Digs, given they haven't won abroad since 93. That's bound to be playing on their mind, given they've had a pasting in most of the recent Cups held in Europe. I would imagine it's pretty much bang on 50/50. Teams look very evenly matched. Similar amount of risks in each team.

Interesting to see who Hatton will play with, maybe stick him with another petulant child Rahm. Could be quite funny to watch Hatton/Rahm v BDC/9C and see who throws their toys out of the pram first.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Sep 2018, 8:15 am

Diggers wrote:

Well, he’s better at collecting Ryder Cup qualifying points, mind you Ian’s not been good at that for quite a while.

Hardly Diggers, Fitzpatrick was above Poulter in the European List, but below him on the World list. Poulter was also closer to qualifying automatically than Fitzpatrick was finishing just below Olesen.

Fitz also has a 0% win record in Ryder Cup. He hasn't won a single point, not even a half.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 06 Sep 2018, 8:35 am

Think usa are favourites, if you look back at some of their previous teams they've had a few stinkers on the team. The team now is pretty strong they won last time and gave added jt.

It will be tight, but usa should win by a few points with the potential to dominate it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 06 Sep 2018, 9:07 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Poults gets a fair bit of grief on these boards and while his behaviour no doubt rubs people the wrong way I find it strange people would question his pick for the ryder cup.

Superstar he isn't but he has had better than decent career and as far as a Ryder cup superstar he definitely is. He has just 4 losses in 18 matches and is unbeaten in sing!es...

Garcias pick is more perplexing given the nature of his form and the fact he has been ok at best in the ryder cup since 2006. Less than .500 win record is hardly inspiring.

Stensons record is even worse and he has had niggling injuries for 2 months...

I disagree with the notion that the major champions of Europe need to show up if we are to have any chance....I'm fact think it's the rookies who we need to show up and perform and in doing so hopefully inspire the rather average play of the experienced players going.

All that being said...I don't think either will happen and I actually think we could be in for a bit of a hammering. I'm Hatton and Rahm we have two pretty combustible players who struggle to temper their emotions in the correct manor. We have players who are out of form and badly so and another two who have have been carrying niggles for last few months of season. Add in the fact that US have kept the spine of their team and have momentum both in the ryder cup and in terms of form players and major champions and it's looking like an extremely difficult task. Let's hope I'm wrong.

I pretty much agree with all of this except maybe the major champions bit. I think we need the majority of the team to show up if we are to have a chance.

I also fear that since the captain isn't an inspiring figure like Monty or Olly if we do fall behind it will be difficult to catch up.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 06 Sep 2018, 10:06 am

beninho wrote:So he's only made two teams on merit? The most picked ryder cupper ever?

Is that why people love the ryder cup, soneone so phenomenally meh and average like poulter has such a great record while actual superstars of golf like tiger or phil have pretty poor ones.

This is perfect ammunition for Super's argument that stroke play success is no indicator of Ryder Cup success.

The standard tour season rewards consistency. Poulter is a player who has had periods of great golf followed by spells in the wilderness. When he's on form he's a top 20 golfer, and capable of beating anyone on his day. The indications this season are that he is in form, he was the most obvious pick this year, and 2008 and 2012. He was a poor pick in 2014 - I think most people knew this before the event (it seemed obvious to me he was not in form and wasn't going to perform).

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 06 Sep 2018, 10:18 am

pedro wrote:But who will Paul pair with?? I’m sure TB had someone in mind when picking him. And who will play the two first sessions? Rose? Poulter?

4-some
Stenson-Rose
Olesen-Molinari
Poulter-Casey
Garcia-Noren

4-balls:
Stenson-Rose
McIlroy-Fleetwood
Rahm-Garcia
Hatton-Poulter

Obviously massive speculation, and all a bit of fun, but...
- I can't see Bjorn leaving out Rory on the opening morning.
- Garcia is the weak link (based on form) and is in the team for his spirit and morale and not his golf - I think he will play one match per day. At least on day 1. More likely he will re-establish his partnership with Luke Donald.
- Similarly, I think Stenson is only going to play one match per day due to his injuries and lack of form.
- I think Olesen & McIlroy could be a good combo. Although McIlroy / Fleetwood sounds good too.
- Hatton / Poulter is a good shout. I can't see Hatton playing 4-somes, although I reckon he will tone down the histrionics, as he's becoming a bit of a caricature of himself.

I could keep going but I'll save it for later...

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Sep 2018, 7:58 am

beninho wrote:Think usa are favourites, if you look back at some of their previous teams they've had a few stinkers on the team. The team now is pretty strong they won last time and gave added jt.

It will be tight, but usa should win by a few points with the potential to dominate it.

They've got a few stinkers this time too in terms of Ryder Cup. Watson, Woods and Mickelson have been dreadful.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:06 am

No matter what s_r thinks, the USA *are* favourites with the bookmakers...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 07 Sep 2018, 8:06 am

[duplicate post]

Last edited by Davie on Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:05 am

Davie, why do you always post your comments twice? Is it for emphasis?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:22 am

Davie, why do you always post your comments twice? Is it for emphasis?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 07 Sep 2018, 10:25 am

No idea! Glitch in the forum software? Does it happen often to me? I've only noticed it rarely before

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:23 am

Davie wrote:No idea! Glitch in the forum software? Does it happen often to me? I've only noticed it rarely before

Just noticed that it's happened on most of your recent posts. Was only pulling your leg OK

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:25 am

raycastleunited wrote:
Davie wrote:No idea! Glitch in the forum software? Does it happen often to me? I've only noticed it rarely before

Just noticed that it's happened on most of your recent posts. Was only pulling your leg OK

I know but it's still worrying I hadn't spotted it! I thought the forum had a "flood control" mechanism to stop it!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 07 Sep 2018, 11:46 am

Davie wrote:I thought the forum had a "flood control" mechanism to stop it!
In that case you wouldn't be able to post at all Davie...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 08 Sep 2018, 8:23 am

My guess is that realist thinks europe will win. I unfortunately have a feeling usa will nick it.

Any other early predictions?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Sun 09 Sep 2018, 2:23 am

Europe to reach the final and lose on penalties.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 09 Sep 2018, 2:04 pm

beninho wrote:Any other early predictions?
USA to win by more than 3 points.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 09 Sep 2018, 3:08 pm

Davie wrote:No matter what s_r thinks, the USA *are* favourites with the bookmakers...

Bookmakers respond just as much to money put on. Their odds aren't just a reflection of form or any prediction, which is why they always have has-been golfers and England football team at low odds. It's not necessarily a response to who they think will win, but a method of mitigating losses should the unfortunate happen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun 09 Sep 2018, 4:08 pm

super_realist wrote:
Not so sure about Americans starting favourite Digs, given they haven't won abroad since 93.

So in what sense were you using the word "favourite"? Sounds like a betting term to me...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 09 Sep 2018, 6:04 pm

I’ve said I don’t think there will be much in it and said home (though how it pans out in France who knows) advantage could make a difference. But it’s not just the bookies who are making them favourites, most people I know, most on here, reading in the press, all seem to favour the US. So I’d say they are generally favoured to win, which to me makes them (fairly marginal) favourites. Doesn’t mean they will win though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Sun 09 Sep 2018, 9:01 pm

Ah don't worry, we'll pump them at home as usual, by a resounding 14.5-13.5...........

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 09 Sep 2018, 9:30 pm

Didn't I say somewhere Matty Fitz was worth a pick?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 09 Sep 2018, 9:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Didn't I say somewhere Matty Fitz was worth a pick?
Because he did pretty well last time?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next