The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment

+30
Jimmy Moz
Welshmushroom
Pete330v2
tigertattie
Tramptastic
Kingshu
TJ
Collapse2005
TAFKA The Oracle
lostinwales
Recwatcher16
WELL-PAST-IT
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
Poorfour
mikey_dragon
formerly known as Sam
Heaf
BigGee
carpet baboon
Geordie
Cumbrian
Rugby Fan
Duty281
mountain man
RiscaGame
king_carlos
doctor_grey
thebandwagonsociety
No 7&1/2
34 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment - Page 6 Empty Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 08 Dec 2023, 9:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Couldn't see another thread on a quick look so sorry if I've missed it.

This weeks fixtures as follows (lifted from the beeb):

Friday
POOL 1
Connacht v Bordeaux Bègles
20:00

POOL 3
Glasgow Warriors v Northampton Saints

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
POOL 3
ASM Clermont Auvergne v Edinburgh

....Guernsey vs Bury St Edmonds as well which is a biggy

Saturday
POOL 1
Bulls v Saracens
17:30

Bristol v Lyon

POOL 2
Bath v Ulster
15:15

Toulouse v Cardiff Rugby

POOL 3
Toulon v Exeter Chiefs
13:00

Munster v Bayonne

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
POOL 1
Zebre v Cheetahs

Sharks v Pau

Dragons v Oyonnax

POOL 2
Ospreys v Benetton

POOL 3
Black Lion v Gloucester

Castres v Scarlets

Sunday
POOL 2
Racing 92 v Harlequins

POOL 4
Sale v Stade Francais

La Rochelle v Leinster

Leicester Tigers v Stormers

EUROPEAN CHALLENGE CUP
POOL 2
Perpignan v Lions

Newcastle Falcons vMontpellier

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment - Page 6 Empty Re: Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment

Post by Cumbrian Sat 13 Jan 2024, 2:15 pm

The music at every stoppage is doing my head in...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment - Page 6 Empty Re: Champions Cup; and the other one if someone wants to comment

Post by tigertattie Sat 13 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

What an absolute comedy of errors
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 13 Jan 2024, 2:58 pm

Still want to have a look at the “knock on” that the ref blew for 2’mons ago
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 13 Jan 2024, 3:05 pm

I watched that scrum back quite a few times now and I am not sure I agree with the referee. I though the ball had been just picked up by the Exeter 8. On the other hand, I actually thought the Warriors scrum half was mugging the Exeter 9 and could be penalised, but I like that kind of thing and would not have wanted to see a pen for that.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 13 Jan 2024, 3:23 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I watched that scrum back quite a few times now and I am not sure I agree with the referee.  I though the ball had been just picked up by the Exeter 8.  On the other hand, I actually thought the Warriors scrum half was mugging the Exeter 9 and could be penalised, but I like that kind of thing and would not have wanted to see a pen for that.    

I agree with the flanker being given offside was 50/50, in fact both flankers were only tenuously bound, taking a rest leaning on the pack, he also helped mess up the 8s pick up but the Glasgow 9 taking the Chiefs nine out of the game, stopped him getting the ball out and probably kicking it to touch. In my opinion definite pen, especially in that situation where it allowed an iffy offside flanker to get into a position where he could get to the ball and score a try. If you saw a centre taking out another by pulling him to the floor to stop him getting the ball, would you not consider that a penalty?

Not sure there shouldn't have been a penalty for the front rows collapsing, not sure which way it should have gone though.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Heaf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 13 Jan 2024, 3:32 pm

tigertattie wrote:Still want to have a look at the “knock on” that the ref blew for 2’mons ago

My daughter is at the Quins Women v Loughborough Lightning game and fuming at a string of quantum scale knock ons that the ref has seen.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 13 Jan 2024, 3:51 pm

Is AJ MacGinty wearing styrofoam boots? He doesn't seem to be making much ground from his kicks to touch.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 13 Jan 2024, 3:53 pm

Just watching the Exeter v Glasgow match - did anyone see if they reviewed what looked like a tip tackle against Townsend (I think)?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:03 pm

Poorfour wrote:
tigertattie wrote:Still want to have a look at the “knock on” that the ref blew for 2’mons ago

My daughter is at the Quins Women v Loughborough Lightning game and fuming at a string of quantum scale knock ons that the ref has seen.

Couldn't see the issue with the Glasgow one - looked like he failed to catch the ball and it went forwards after hitting his hand?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:09 pm

I would like to see that hit on Thomas again, he was absolutely poleaxed and it looked high. Seems bizarre that the TMO would wave it off as an 'accident', aren't most of them? I don't think that many player go into tackles deliberately targeting the head, even the ones that are carded for it.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:27 pm

That's a poor decision on the yellow at the scrum.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:33 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I watched that scrum back quite a few times now and I am not sure I agree with the referee.  I though the ball had been just picked up by the Exeter 8.  On the other hand, I actually thought the Warriors scrum half was mugging the Exeter 9 and could be penalised, but I like that kind of thing and would not have wanted to see a pen for that.    

I agree with the flanker being given offside was 50/50, in fact both flankers were only tenuously bound, taking a rest leaning on the pack, he also helped mess up the 8s pick up but the Glasgow 9 taking the Chiefs nine out of the game, stopped him getting the ball out and probably kicking it to touch. In my opinion definite pen, especially in that situation where it allowed an iffy offside flanker to get into a position where he could get to the ball and score a try. If you saw a centre taking out another by pulling him to the floor to stop him getting the ball, would you not consider that a penalty?

Not sure there shouldn't have been a penalty for the front rows collapsing, not sure which way it should have gone though.
No question you are absolutely right about the 9s.  It's just I like to see scrum halves messing with each other which is why I wouldn't have wanted to see a pen there.  But it did look like a mugging (by scrum half standards) and a legit pen.  Didn't envy the referee there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:38 pm

Think a pen was right whichever way he got there ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:44 pm

It feels like it doesn't matter what happens at the scrum, Raynal is just going to penalise Bristol no matter what.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 13 Jan 2024, 4:50 pm

Is that Malins running in treacle?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 13 Jan 2024, 6:53 pm

Cumbrian wrote:It feels like it doesn't matter what happens at the scrum, Raynal is just going to penalise Bristol no matter what.

After the first couple of dominant scrums he definitely had it in his mind that Bristol were at fault even when I'm not sure they were.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 13 Jan 2024, 7:45 pm

It is maybe a personal gripe, but who wants to watch rugby at 8:00pm on a Saturday night? I quite fancied watching the Cardiff vs. Quins match, but there is no way I can justify it to her in doors.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 13 Jan 2024, 8:05 pm

Cumbrian wrote:It is maybe a personal gripe, but who wants to watch rugby at 8:00pm on a Saturday night?  I quite fancied watching the Cardiff vs. Quins match, but there is no way I can justify it to her in doors.

Ah. You record it and watch it with a nice bacon sarnie first thing tomorrow.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 13 Jan 2024, 8:08 pm

How is that a pen? Cardiff player ran into Andre the giant

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 13 Jan 2024, 8:39 pm

Cumbrian wrote:It is maybe a personal gripe, but who wants to watch rugby at 8:00pm on a Saturday night?  I quite fancied watching the Cardiff vs. Quins match, but there is no way I can justify it to her in doors.
Then move over here. I quite like watching Rugby at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 13 Jan 2024, 8:54 pm

Cardiff are dangerous out wide and have benefited from a couple of dubious calls, but Quins are looking pretty dangerous when they get close to the Cardiff 22. Nick David is finding holes in the Cardiff defence - Quins just need to make sure he has enough support.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 13 Jan 2024, 9:09 pm

Quins 4th try being quite dubious…

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 13 Jan 2024, 9:32 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Quins 4th try being quite dubious…

If you can find clear separation between Beard’s hands, the ball and the grass, then please post it. If not, then it’s a try. Anyway, Quins have now added a 5th so the point is moot.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 13 Jan 2024, 9:46 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Then move over here.  I quite like watching Rugby at 3:00pm on a Saturday afternoon.  
5am-7am here in Japan. Fortunately, I still have jet lag from a trip back home.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 13 Jan 2024, 10:22 pm

Only just finished watching it, but that was some performance from Quins, soundly beat Cardiff at their own game. Welsh teams don’t have the squads for this competition, yet the salary cap is going down again next year.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 13 Jan 2024, 11:10 pm

The Exeter-Glasgow highlights package is 3minutes 26 seconds long. A third of it is given over to that last scrum.

It's a pleasure to be able to see some kind of highlights on YouTube so soon after the end of these European matches. The English Premiership is often a full day after, when the interest has already begun to wane.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 11:12 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Quins 4th try being quite dubious…

Did look like it touched the ground but it was close.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:09 pm

I see Mr Healy is reffing matches again ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:13 pm

That seemed to tick all the boxes for a red.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:15 pm

I guess it depends on whether you're using pre RWC interpretation or RWC interpretation Wink

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:28 pm

I'd imagine he'll be missing some of the 6 nations.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:37 pm

Harris surely needed to pass that.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:41 pm

And Cokanasiga butchers one.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 1:42 pm

And Cokanasiga would be wanting to finish that too

Bit unfair as it was a good timed tackle as he got the ball.

Baths kicking from the tee is consistently not good enough at this level.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:15 pm

Heaf wrote:I guess it depends on whether you're using pre RWC interpretation or RWC interpretation Wink

Well, he wasn’t English, so it probably wasn’t red.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:27 pm

Big Joe really isn't having a great game.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:32 pm

Barbeary scores twice.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:36 pm

Oh la la that Lawrence offload.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:37 pm

Even better offload from Arundell.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:46 pm

Beaut by Lawrence again.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:50 pm

That should also be red. He should really get 2 citings.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

Presumably as he got a red there's no need for a citing and it's an automatic disciplinary panel?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

Bit unlucky as there was a neck roll in the first ruck.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:55 pm

Heaf wrote:Presumably as he got a red there's no need for a citing and it's an automatic disciplinary panel?

But strictly speaking he's had 2 yellows both of which are probably red. If he gets off on a technicality...

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 14 Jan 2024, 2:59 pm

Good win for Bath in the end ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Jan 2024, 3:28 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Big Joe really isn't having a great game.
I genuinely think the basics in his game have got worse over time. Such a talent when he broke through but he stalled with injury and just hasn't developed the parts of his game you need to these days.

Somewhat similar feeling with Radwan for me. When he broke through he was one of the most exciting English talents I'd seen in years. There were rumours of Tigers chasing him and I was over the moon. He seemed to be really good in the tackle and had good hands, just needed to improve positional play and develop a passable kicking game. Years later and that development just hasn't seemed to happen though. I feel like I'm watching the same winger as when he was 21. When you look at the vast improvements that other home nations wingers such as Lowe or LRZ have made to their all round game it's pretty frustrating.

If you're going to have holes in your game as a back three player these days you need to be having Duhan or Koroibete level impacts.

In other English winger news, Watson was pulled from the La Rochelle vs Tigers game before KO.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 14 Jan 2024, 3:53 pm

Radwan can do things few others can and you always feel he'll finish a chance. For someone with a physical advantage he has he's never really excelled as a big bruising winger. Especially with someone with his pace too he should be far more dangerous,just always seems to look for contact and then dies with the ball.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 14 Jan 2024, 3:56 pm

Skelton lucky not to get yellow for his slap down near the line IMO.

When La Rochelle get the ball they just clearly have more power though. The number of ball carriers across their side is brutal. Because they are winning collisions on both sides of the ball it means that their jackals are having a good time attacking the breakdown whilst Tigers are struggling there.

Tigers once again lacking precision when they get in the oppo 22. Plenty of handling errors and that's despite running pretty basic patterns.

Montoya, Martin, Chess and Hatherell have mostly impressed from Tigers perspective. All in the pack though.

Bourgarit is a fantastic player. If it weren't for Marchand and Mauvaka I expect he'd have a far bigger profile. He nails the basics, is terrific over the ball and so dynamic as a carrier.

king_carlos

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:40 pm

Tough call for Pollard - not sure about that one

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 14 Jan 2024, 4:44 pm

And surely that went backwards?

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next