The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence

+13
EWT Spoons
Tramptastic
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
BigGee
demosthenes
Hazel Sapling
RDW
George Carlin
king_carlos
bsando
jimbopip
NeilyBroon
17 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence - Page 7 Empty Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 26 Jun 2024, 10:37 am

First topic message reminder :

As requested, another thread connected by the M8. Two teams about as comparable as Adam Peaty and Eric the Eel.

Will Glasgow build on their title win next season?

Will Edinburgh even make the top half of the table?

Speculation and more on another volume of the patter papers.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence

Post by jimbopip Mon 14 Oct 2024, 12:52 pm

Flounder you win the Services To Recyling award for this post. You first submitted it in 2019 and this is its eight re appearance.

jimbopip

RDW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow & Edinburgh Discussion Thread 31: The Roadmap for Success Vs The Perpetual Roadworks of Incompetence

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 14 Oct 2024, 1:19 pm

For Everitt to get folk onside, he needs to win the next two games against Cardiff (H) and O's (A). He then has a month before Benetton to reset the attacking play. If Edinburgh puts them away, it is not the worst spot to be in considering they have done the three hardest games for NH clubs (Leinster, SA tour).

Random ones:
- Has anyone seen a match report for Edinburgh A vs Bath A?

- Andy Christie looks to have broken and dislocated his ankle early in the Quins game on the weekend. He was in fantastic form and it is a real shame he is out of the November internationals

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by cameljunior Yesterday at 8:25 am

There is a report on the bath rugby site of the A game a 41-24 loss. They also have a video showing all their tries.
cameljunior
cameljunior

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Yesterday at 9:11 am

For Everitt to get folk onside,

I'm not really blaming Everitt as this issue of inconsistency and poor mental attitude has been apparent under several coaches. I place most of the blame on the senior players.
Cockers made a dent in the issue but once he went they reverted

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Yesterday at 10:44 am

I think a wedge of blame can fall at Everett’s door.

Yes, Edinburgh have been inconsistent for years, but no one (as far as I am aware) has forced him to play Healy in near enough every game. Add to that Price, who probably had his best game ever for Edinburgh at the weekend, but has largely been slow, and looked like he couldn’t give a toss. The number of times he’s played a terrible pass/poor box kick/ been charged down and then rather than trying to make amends or get into position, he just stands about and moans, while the opposition take advantage of his mistake and score. It might not get caught on camera as often as it happens, but he’s got a real knack of doing it literally in front of where I stand.

I also have no confidence this demotion of Healy will last. I know I moan about him in nearly every post, but he is like a black hole of rugby, and very much not in any positive sense. However, Everett seems to rate him, and I am almost certain despite winning without him and the A team getting horsed, he will be back either starting or on the bench next weekend.

So yes, there are issues at Edinburgh from top to bottom, but Everett is far from blameless.

Also, happy for Duhan to move on. He’s very much becoming this team’s Visser. He doesn’t go looking for work and it’s a pet peeve, but when he does get the ball and gets over the try line he dots down immediately, even if he’s under no pressure whatsoever, rather than trying to get under the posts to help with the conversion. It doesn’t seem to bother his teammates so its likely a me issue, but it really annoys me.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Yesterday at 10:52 am

I don't honestly see any way that Edinburgh will be able to afford to hang onto DVD. The top French teams will likely be able to offer double what will be on the table here.

He will also be 30 years old by then, an age when a lot of wingers start to lose a yard of pace and become a little more injury prone. That is not the sort of player position you would want to bet your mortgage on.

Unfortunately Glasgow success will obviously not have gone unnoticed in France either and some of our big players, like Tuipolotu could also be tempted as their contracts come to an end.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Yesterday at 11:05 am

It would appear that; Wee Shona, Seaman, a Fagerson (Ragnar?) and Dempsey are all out of contract at the end of the season.

Any two would be a big loss. Three would be bordering on catastrophic.

Four and and we'd be the URC's answer to the Tory party.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Yesterday at 11:10 am

It would be good to get some of them tied down sooner rather than later but it would be incredible if we can hang on to them all in the current climate.

Losing Zander would be the one that really scares me, I think he is pretty much irreplaceable.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Yesterday at 11:35 am

DVDM should cash in. Edinburgh have not struggled to develop back three players historically even though the style of rugby would suggest otherwise. Spending large sums retaining DVDM, Graham and Boffelli whilst largely playing through the forwards is a poor allocation of resources. DVDM deserves to have 3-4 years topping up his pension even though ideally we would have him repopulating the Highlands when he is put to pasture.

Glasgow has managed to complete a renewal before and has managed through to the next golden generation. Losing Tuipulotu, M Fagerson, Dempsey and Steyn would hurt but McDowall is a starter at most clubs, our young back-rows are coming of age (Brown, Ferrie, Mann) and wing is the least impactful position (I used to play wing and made zero impact). I ordered them in order of pain though I would like to keep all of them.

Zander leaving...that is where we struggle. Every other player we have someone who can step up somewhat but Walker has not stayed fit to be able to kick on.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Tue 15 Oct 2024, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wee Shona is Sione Tuipulotu not Vailanu. Corrected from there)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Yesterday at 11:35 am

Richie Gray off to Japan. Assume that’ll see him end his international career as well then.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Yesterday at 9:25 pm

Trying to speak some positives about Edinburgh, we're already only 1 BP away from matching last year's total!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7