The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

+44
Brendan
VinceWLB
George Carlin
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
A Simply Mesmeric Try
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
highland_scot
malky1963
Ozzy3213
Manky-Flanker
CraigS1874
Tramptastic
Captain_Sensible
justified sinner
LondonTiger
Argybargy
nickj
Couttsy87
alive555
EST
demosthenes
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
Majestic83
Nematode
RDW
tigertattie
HawkTheSlayersRubbish
GLove39
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
R!skysports
cakeordeath
MacKnocked-on
Dollar Bill
EWT Spoons
Cambo
Notch
21st Century Schizoid Man
Totalflanker
IanBru
48 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 13 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by George Carlin Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

A. Edinburgh

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 13 Bremne10

1. Pre-season

Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 15 - 5 Newcastle Falcons

Fri 23 Aug 2013, 19:30
Northampton Saints 24 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

2. 2013/2014 Season - Played

Sat 7 Sep, 19:15
Munster Rugby 34 - 23 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 13 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 21 Sep, 18:30
Ospreys 44 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 9 - 22 Scarlets

Sun 6 Oct, 14:05
Cardiff Blues 29 - 12 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 25 Oct, 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 13 Benetton Treviso

Fri 1 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 23 Zebre

Fri 22 Nov 19:05
Ulster Rugby 41 - 17 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 29 Nov 19:45
Edinburgh Rugby 43 - 10 Connacht

Fri 20 Dec 19:35
Edinburgh Rugby 11 - 6 Leinster

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 13:05
Newport Gwent Dragons  v  Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 17:00
Connacht Rugby v Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 22 Feb 14:30
Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby

B. Glasgow

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 13 Capald10

1. Pre-season

Sat 31 Aug 2013, 15:00
Exeter Chiefs 26 - 29 Glasgow Warriors

2. 2013/2014 Season

Fri 6 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 22 - 15 Cardiff Blues

Fri 13 Sep, 19:05
Ulster Rugby 12 - 13 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Sep, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 12 - 6 Leinster Rugby

Fri 27 Sep, 19:30
Zebre 17 - 24 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 5 Oct, 18:30
Scarlets 12 - 17 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 25 Oct, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 6 - 13 Munster Rugby

Sat 2 Nov, 17:00
Connacht Rugby 12 - 19 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 22 Nov, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors 8 - 23 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 29 Nov, 19:05
Ospreys 16 - 28 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 20 Dec, 19:35
Glasgow Warriors P - P Benetton Treviso

Thu 26 Dec 15:05
Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Wed 1 Jan 18:05
Glasgow Warriors P - P Edinburgh Rugby

3. 2013/2014 Season - Next 3 Games

Sun 9 Feb 14:00
Glasgow Warriors v Connacht Rugby

Sat 15 Feb 18:30
Cardiff Blues v Glasgow Warriors

Sun 23 Feb 14:30
Newport Gwent Dragons   v   Glasgow Warriors

Any and all patter about these teams is welcome.

Any jingoism, sledging or graceless kicking of anyone whilst they are up or down will see posts deleted.

Be gracious and be constructive.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 9:54 am

With you on that Radge.

Unfortunately I think no news is bad news - if a player was going to sign a new contract they would have done it by now. Maybe suggests Ford and De Luca are out too? Who knows.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II - Page 13 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread II

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:02 am

I can live with Ford moving on, that's best for him and Scottish rugby. NDL can go too, greatful for his service but we have young centres who can grow into the role.

Rennie on the other hand is along with Barclay is one of the most gifted 7s in world rugby IMO. Losing him is a huge blow to Edinburgh.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:16 am

It's a sad day when a 6'2". 15-odd stone nifty openside isn't big enough

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:17 am

Without being pedantic, his official stats are 6ft 1  Very Happy 

And having stood next to him I'm not sure I overly trust that either!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:18 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Without being pedantic, his official stats are 6ft 1  Very Happy 

as in he is smaller than that?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:19 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I don't really know what to say about this.

Cross leaving is a disapointment, he's a great player and deserved a proper send off.

However, when taking into account the game time he has been getting under Solomans can we really be surprised?

I like to see Edinburgh do well but my passion for the team is lessening as of late.
Everyone knows that Glasgow is better for nightlife. His Scotland team mates will take him out for an almighty bender.  king 

But I appreciate your feelings about the club's rather impersonal treatment of a great servant. I cannot help but shake the feeling that this was an SRU edict and Solomons did not appreciate being asked to lose front row cover, even from a player who clearly is not his favourite.

What is interesting is the suggestion that Grandpappy is expecting next season's complement of props from somewhere else. A Bokke influx over the summer?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:19 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I can live with Ford moving on, that's best for him and Scottish rugby. NDL can go too, greatful for his service but we have young centres who can grow into the role.

Rennie on the other hand is along with Barclay is one of the most gifted 7s in world rugby IMO. Losing him is a huge blow to Edinburgh.

I think we probably have to accept that it is RR who has decided that he needs a move, it is his career at the end of the day and he just has not had much luck playing at Edinburgh. No-one should begrudge him the chance to see what he can do elsewhere.

On other news Ford has signed up for another couple of years. He is the player more than any other I would have thought could benefit from having moved. However he has been playing better for Edinburgh than Scotland this year and I suspect that he, probably more than RR is a hometown boy who may not be happy moving away. Solomans clearly has faith in him so I am happy to run with that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Without being pedantic, his official stats are 6ft 1  Very Happy 

Well I'm 6ft and he seemed around the same height as me. 6ft 1 rounding up maybe!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

BigGee wrote:

On other news Ford has signed up for another couple of years. He is the player more than any other I would have thought could benefit from having moved. However he has been playing better for Edinburgh than Scotland this year and I suspect that he, probably more than RR is a hometown boy who may not be happy moving away. Solomans clearly has faith in him so I am happy to run with that.

I think we were all in agreement that he really needed to move on, but now that he is staying fair play to him and let's hope Solomons can reignite his career.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:30 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I initially thought that this was perfectly sufficient in terms of size.

Then I noted:
* David Pocock - 6ft, 16st 5lbs
* Richie McCaw - 6ft 2in, 17 st
* Sean O'Brien - 6ft 2in, 17 st
* Schalk Burger - 6ft 4in, 17st, 12lbs

Maybe Pappy has a point.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

Oh, and John Barclay, who lookes like something of a gangly feller, is actually 16 st.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

Got to love official player stats - there's no way Richie McCaaw is the same size as SoB!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:57 am

George Carlin wrote:
I initially thought that this was perfectly sufficient in terms of size.

Then I noted:
* David Pocock - 6ft, 16st 5lbs
* Richie McCaw - 6ft 2in, 17 st
* Sean O'Brien - 6ft 2in, 17 st
* Schalk Burger - 6ft 4in, 17st, 12lbs

Maybe Pappy has a point.

Well there is no way Burger is an openside, 6 and 7 are the other way around down there, Heinrich Brüssow is 5 ft 11 in 16 st 1 lb and he is a classic openside.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:00 am

“First of all he is genetically gifted. He is a big, strong boy and uses the weight and power that he has effectively. He is exceptionally committed and an absolute professional in everything he does.

He is a good role model for our younger players and is such a good guy to have in the squad. It’s great that he has committed to us.

“I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about him and I don’t think they could, he’s just a fine human being.”

Think it's fair to say Solomons is a big fan of Ford - think those two need to get a room!  kiss 

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:05 am

Ross Ford is one of my all time favourite player his attitude on the pitch is exemplary, i'm glad he is staying.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:22 am

I think it's Ford's size and power that Solomons is clearly after. Hopefully Solomons and Omar can have a positive impact on him, as he still has a big role to play for Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:23 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
“First of all he is genetically gifted. He is a big, strong boy and uses the weight and power that he has effectively. He is exceptionally committed and an absolute professional in everything he does.

He is a good role model for our younger players and is such a good guy to have in the squad. It’s great that he has committed to us.

“I’ve never heard anyone say a bad word about him and I don’t think they could, he’s just a fine human being.”

Think it's fair to say Solomons is a big fan of Ford - think those two need to get a room!  kiss 

Could they borrow it from you, fES, Radge and Jock Cuthbutt?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:49 am

LOL

I think GC or RDW are on the prowl!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:53 am

Wisnae me, although I did see it!

Naughty FES...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:56 am

Whistle 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:58 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think it's Ford's size and power that Solomons is clearly after. Hopefully Solomons and Omar can have a positive impact on him, as he still has a big role to play for Scotland as a loosehead prop who doesn't have to hook or throw anything any more.

Give that man a coconut. clap
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:02 pm

No, he has a future at hooker, whether you like it or not, rightly or wrongly. I think it's almost certain he'll be Scotland's hooker at the next World Cup. The key for me is making sure he's at the right club environment to maximise his potential.

I'd have rather he move to an Aviva side and play down there, but I do trust Solomons and Omar, he isn't in bad hands.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
I'd have rather he move to an Aviva side and play down there, but I do trust Solomons and Omar, he isn't in bad hands.

What exactly has an Aviva side that one of the Scottish side don't? Richie Gray regressed when he went to sale...

Last edited by VinceWLB on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm

This:

Glasgow Warriors have been dealt a triple injury blow with flanker Rob Harley expected to be out for up to eight weeks.

Harley suffered knee ligament damage in training while prop Ed Kalman has undergone back surgery and Pat MacArthur has a fractured foot.

and this:

Scotland prop Geoff Cross has joined Glasgow Warriors on loan for the remainder of the season from Edinburgh Rugby.Geoff Cross

The 31-year-old moves west to provide injury cover in the front row, with Mike Cusack set for another spell on the sidelines.

Cusack returned to action last month after more than a year out with a shoulder injury but now has an unrelated medical issue.

The 29-year-old became unwell prior to the defeat to Leinster earlier this month and had to pull out of the matchday squad. Following further investigation it has been determined he’ll not be able to play for an extended period, with the exact length of time unknown.

Ed Kalman will also be out of action for a period of time due to a back injury.
Cross has played in all five of Scotland’s RBS 6 Nations games, starting against France and Wales and coming off the bench in the games against Ireland, England and Italy.

The tighthead prop has featured eight times for Edinburgh Rugby this season.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “Mike (Cusack) worked really hard to get back fit again and we’re all disappointed that his comeback has been put on hold.

“We all wish him well in his recovery and look forward to seeing him out on the pitch again soon.

“It's also disappointing for Ed (Kalman) that he's picked up a back injury after being in great form for the club this season. Hopefully we'll see him in a Warriors shirt before the end of the season.

"We’re delighted to welcome Geoff (Cross) into our squad. We’re getting an experienced tighthead to strengthen our front row options as we push for a play-off spot.

“We’d like to thank Edinburgh Rugby for loaning Geoff to us.”

Gutted that big bad Ginger Boab is oot, and what the feic is going on with the Coo? Sounds serious, poor lamb.

Will there be a problem come the re-arranged 2nd leg of the 1872 game as Cross will know all Edinbokke's lineout codes? Probably won't matter if Ford is throwing anyhew, but ...

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:55 pm

Given that professional rugby teams change their lineout codes almost every game, I'm sure it will be fine.

Really hope Cross doesn't play against us - hopefully there's some clause in the loan agreement saying he can't play the 1872!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:No, he has a future at hooker, whether you like it or not, rightly or wrongly. I think it's almost certain he'll be Scotland's hooker at the next World Cup. The key for me is making sure he's at the right club environment to maximise his potential.

I presume that's in the same way Uncle Dougie "has a future" as a porn star?
Theoretically possible, but in questionable taste given what we know his attributes to be?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

FES misbehaving, GC talking about porn stars...........

this place is heading for the gutter
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:58 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

What exactly has an Aviva side that one of the Scottish side don't? Richie Gray regressed when he went to sale...

I was thinking more a change of scene than anything else. Richie Gray's mistake wasn't in moving to the Aviva, it was picking Sale. Most of us agreed at the time that it was the wrong club. Had he moved to Northampton, for example, and played with Lawes et al, I think he'd have done far better.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:No, he has a future at hooker, whether you like it or not, rightly or wrongly. I think it's almost certain he'll be Scotland's hooker at the next World Cup. The key for me is making sure he's at the right club environment to maximise his potential.

I presume that's in the same way Uncle Dougie "has a future" as a porn star?
Theoretically possible, but in questionable taste given what we know his attributes to be?

Not precisely "in the same way" as I had in mind......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:02 pm

Been thinking about the Ross Ford situation.

He knows better than anyone the problems he has been having the past few seasons or two. He's also no doubt got his eye on the next world cup, probably his last one, and maybe he sees Edinburgh as the best place to be to improve his form. There's no doubting that Solomons and Omar have had a very positive effect on the club, and he might see it is a better option to stay and improve with them than take a risk at a new club.

He will probably be the biggest earner at Edinburgh too now which will help.

I know the guy gets a lot of stick on here but it is very much in Scotland's interest that he gets back on form. The guy is a beast, and if he can turn his lineout from being generally good with regular wobbles to being good 95% good all of the time, and he works out how to hook the ball, he is going to be a real key player for Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:13 pm

All joking aside, on the Ford question - you have to have something to impress Solomons.
He used to coach some of the hardest Saffer packs around. He knows his forward play.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:31 pm

George Carlin wrote:All joking aside, on the Ford question - you have to have something to impress Solomons.
He used to coach some of the hardest Saffer packs around. He knows his forward play.

You were joking before....

Laugh 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:35 pm

Ford's workrate and physical ability is never in question.

He clearly has a confidence problem and it seems excasberated on the international stage.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Ford has been playing well for Edinburgh and keek fo Scotland. Therefore it is fair to say the issue is in the Scotland setup. Who knows, With Christ (Cotter) rocking up in a couple of months, Ford could be sorted out
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:44 pm

It's typical of us as a nation to kick people when they are down too. The fact that Ford had to shut his Twitter feed down after the England game due to the torrent of personal abuse is despicable. Ford didn't deliberately throw and hook badly, and giving him a load of abuse isn't going to help.

Look at the England football fans and Tom Cleverely - creating Facebook groups saying he should never play for England ever again aren't exactly going to help his confidence and help him improve as a player.

Scotland needs Ross Ford playing at Lions 2009 level again. We can criticise him as much as we want on here, but everyone surely wants him to get back to that level?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

Good point RDW.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Been thinking about the Ross Ford situation.

He knows better than anyone the problems he has been having the past few seasons or two.  He's also no doubt got his eye on the next world cup, probably his last one, and maybe he sees Edinburgh as the best place to be to improve his form.  There's no doubting that Solomons and Omar have had a very positive effect on the club, and he might see it is a better option to stay and improve with them than take a risk at a new club.

He will probably be the biggest earner at Edinburgh too now which will help.

I know the guy gets a lot of stick on here but it is very much in Scotland's interest that he gets back on form.  The guy is a beast, and if he can turn his lineout from being generally good with regular wobbles to being good 95% good all of the time, and he works out how to hook the ball, he is going to be a real key player for Scotland.

Hmm, so pretty much the two basics that you'd look to from an u9's hooker then?

[Cue further GC/uncle Dougie jokes!]

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:It's typical of us as a nation to kick people when they are down too.  The fact that Ford had to shut his Twitter feed down after the England game due to the torrent of personal abuse is despicable. Ford didn't deliberately throw and hook badly, and giving him a load of abuse isn't going to help.

Look at the England football fans and Tom Cleverely - creating Facebook groups saying he should never play for England ever again aren't exactly going to help his confidence and help him improve as a player.

Scotland needs Ross Ford playing at Lions 2009 level again. We can criticise him as much as we want on here, but everyone surely wants him to get back to that level?

Of course they do, and having met a few of you, I can't think of a Scottish fan on here that is likely to be pervading that sort of cr4p. But you are right, there is nothing wrong with criticism - the forum wouldn't exist without it!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

I'd second that. It was right that he was dropped for Lawson, his confidence and game was well below where it should be, but we have absolutely zero depth at hooker so we are in no position to start yet another "anyone but" campaign.

Next season I'd like to see Stuart McInally and George Turner given some opportunities at hooker, to see how they are getting on.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

He took a lot of flak for the lineout, and rightly so. But I'm not sure why the Scottish lineout seemed so needlessly complicated every time.

When you have Hamilton or Gray to aim at who are in turn hoisted by big men like Cross, Grant, Beattie, Brown etc there isn't a hell of a lot the opposition could do about it.

The English weren't even competing at the lineout, they just waited for it to self destruct.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd second that. It was right that he was dropped for Lawson, his confidence and game was well below where it should be, but we have absolutely zero depth at hooker so we are in no position to start yet another "anyone but" campaign.

Next season I'd like to see Stuart McInally and George Turner given some opportunities at hooker, to see how they are getting on.

I'd like to see Fraser Brown get a lot more game time at Glasgow as he is someone I think could push on to really challenge for the Scotland shirt. Very mobile around the pitch,played a bit recently at backrow so has those added skills. Very good hooker of the ball and from what i have seen is very accurate in his line out throwing. Played for Scotland A against the Saxons in February and was one of the best players on the pitch.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

Anyone know if McInally's throwing has come on at all? By all accounts it was amateurish when he started at Bristol (understandably so!)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

Ah - I meant Fraser Brown, not George Turner. Yes, I agree - hopefully Toonie will have cause to use him next season. Dougie Hall isn't really one for the future, and whilst I rate MacArthur, he seems to have said the same thing to Scott Johnson as John Barclay.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

MacArthur, Bryce, Brown, McInally and Turner look like the coming men, but we forget Ford is only 29. The only reason I'm slightly miffed he's staying is because in my mind that means the guys I've listed will get less top-flight game time. Ford was and hopefully is a more buyable asset than any of those guys for an Aviva or Top 14 team.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

We say that Ford staying means younger guys play less games, but remember he will be away a lot of the season and there is the bench spot to fill at Edinburgh.

Hilterbrand (SQ) is doing it just now and it looks like Lutui has fallen out of favour a bit (can we please cut his contract short by a year - he'll be collecting his pension soon) so there's ample opportunity for a young hooker to get gametime with Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ah - I meant Fraser Brown, not George Turner. Yes, I agree - hopefully Toonie will have cause to use him next season. Dougie Hall isn't really one for the future, and whilst I rate MacArthur, he seems to have said the same thing to Scott Johnson as John Barclay.

Yep i'd hope next season at Glasgow Brown and MacArthur are the 2 battling it out for the hooker jersey with Bryce also putting up a challenge as he looks fairly decent as well. Think Hall will be around the 33/34 age and is off the same quality as MacArthur and Brown now so would give them the game time. Hall will be useful to have in the squad to pass on his experience.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ah - I meant Fraser Brown, not George Turner. Yes, I agree - hopefully Toonie will have cause to use him next season. Dougie Hall isn't really one for the future, and whilst I rate MacArthur, he seems to have said the same thing to Scott Johnson as John Barclay.

If Macarthur has fractured his foot then he should be getting plenty of game time for the rest of this season. He seems to be well ahead of Byrce in the Glasgow pecking order and can't now be far off starting. Could be an outside bet to go on the summer tour. I agree he played very well in the a game and I think just needs more game time at first team level to show us what he can do.

Another potential Edinburgh reject doing well at Glasgow, the list goes on!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

From a Scotland point of view having Fraser Brown pushing for a place in the national team come World cup time could be very useful. With teams having 2 props on the subs bench Scotland will probably take 5 props if not 6 in the squad. As far as I am aware the world cup squad is still going to be 30 players there for some positions could be a little light. With Brown playing a lot of rugby recently in the back row he could be a handy addition to have in a world cup squad. Definitely not as a starting back rower but certainly if there are bumps or niggles during games especially against the smaller 2 options.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

I was having the same thoughts about McInally, although Brown is obviously much further down the road as a hooker.

Versatility may also benefit Richie Vernon.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

A good thing about this world cup is that it is England -not new Zealand - so you can have numerous players on standby that can arrive at very short notice.

Maybe means we don't need to consider utility players quite so much?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next